Message from Our Sponsor on ttyTV at 13:58 ...

aus+uk / aus.computers / salvaging Win7

SubjectAuthor
* salvaging Win7Ozix
+* Re: salvaging Win7Marco Moock
|`* Re: salvaging Win7Computer Nerd Kev
| `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
|  `- Re: salvaging Win7Computer Nerd Kev
`* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 +* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 |+* Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 ||`* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 || +* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 || |`- Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 || +* Re: salvaging Win7Computer Nerd Kev
 || |`- Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 || `* Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 ||  `* Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 ||   `* Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 ||    `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 ||     `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 ||      `- Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 |`* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 | +- Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 | `* Re: salvaging Win7Rod Speed
 |  `* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 |   +* Re: salvaging Win7Rod Speed
 |   |`* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 |   | `- Re: salvaging Win7Rod Speed
 |   `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 |    `* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 |     `- Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
  `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
   `* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
    `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
     `- Re: salvaging Win7Petzl

Pages:12
salvaging Win7

<6621fe18$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4302&group=aus.computers#4302

Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: ozi...@xizo.am (Ozix)
Subject: salvaging Win7
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:16:07 +0800
 by: Ozix - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 05:16 UTC

An old laptop with Win7 that was never updated apparently. Update no
longer works for Win7 since January? The Internet Explorer browser is
pretty much useless, so have to download Firefox ESR. Then find a
program called "Legacy Update" and run that, hoping it doesn't have
malware. That grinds away for over an hour installing SP1 and other
doovalackeys. Finally you can do Windows Update again, and it swirls
around finding 122 updates. Go for a walk to local coffee shop, come
back it is still in progress.

Re: salvaging Win7

<v0aa6m$2547d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4304&group=aus.computers#4304

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: salvaging Win7
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 08:52:05 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 06:52 UTC

On 19.04.2024 um 13:16 Uhr Ozix wrote:

> An old laptop with Win7 that was never updated apparently. Update no
> longer works for Win7 since January? The Internet Explorer browser is
> pretty much useless, so have to download Firefox ESR. Then find a
> program called "Legacy Update" and run that, hoping it doesn't have
> malware. That grinds away for over an hour installing SP1 and other
> doovalackeys. Finally you can do Windows Update again, and it swirls
> around finding 122 updates. Go for a walk to local coffee shop, come
> back it is still in progress.

Why don't upgrade to a current operating system?
Win 7 EoL is now for more than 4 years.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to 1713525367muell@cartoonies.org

Re: salvaging Win7

<84ih2j1g0tea5dbbeft4fbhr3ev8iln9b1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4305&group=aus.computers#4305

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:57:04 +1000
 by: Petzl - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 08:57 UTC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:16:07 +0800, Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote:

>An old laptop with Win7 that was never updated apparently. Update no
>longer works for Win7 since January? The Internet Explorer browser is
>pretty much useless, so have to download Firefox ESR. Then find a
>program called "Legacy Update" and run that, hoping it doesn't have
>malware. That grinds away for over an hour installing SP1 and other
>doovalackeys. Finally you can do Windows Update again, and it swirls
>around finding 122 updates. Go for a walk to local coffee shop, come
>back it is still in progress.

Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
<https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: salvaging Win7

<6629987f@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4306&group=aus.computers#4306

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 25 Apr 2024 09:40:47 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 23:40 UTC

Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
> Why don't upgrade to a current operating system?
> Win 7 EoL is now for more than 4 years.

I suppose you could ask the same thing of me with the Pentium 1 PC
I'm posting from now, which dual-boots Linux/Win98. Not only would
the computer never run current Windows, but lots of the software on
it (including some that only runs when booted directly to MSDOS and
talks to parallel port and ISA hardware devices) wouldn't run in
current Windows either.

Mind you, I hardly expect to get updates for that. :)

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: salvaging Win7

<l99nf6Fhe25U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4312&group=aus.computers#4312

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 00:00:05 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 14:00 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>> Why don't upgrade to a current operating system?
>> Win 7 EoL is now for more than 4 years.
> I suppose you could ask the same thing of me with the Pentium 1 PC
> I'm posting from now, which dual-boots Linux/Win98. Not only would
> the computer never run current Windows, but lots of the software on
> it (including some that only runs when booted directly to MSDOS and
> talks to parallel port and ISA hardware devices) wouldn't run in
> current Windows either.

are you some kind of masochist?  :)

> Mind you, I hardly expect to get updates for that. :)

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<l99nluFhgl4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4313&group=aus.computers#4313

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 00:03:39 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 14:03 UTC

Petzl wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:16:07 +0800, Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote:
>
>> An old laptop with Win7 that was never updated apparently. Update no
>> longer works for Win7 since January? The Internet Explorer browser is
>> pretty much useless, so have to download Firefox ESR. Then find a
>> program called "Legacy Update" and run that, hoping it doesn't have
>> malware. That grinds away for over an hour installing SP1 and other
>> doovalackeys. Finally you can do Windows Update again, and it swirls
>> around finding 122 updates. Go for a walk to local coffee shop, come
>> back it is still in progress.
>>
> Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
> Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
> <https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>

I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
planned obsolescence!

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<l99o40Fhi7nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4314&group=aus.computers#4314

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 00:11:11 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 14:11 UTC

Petzl wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:16:07 +0800, Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote:
>
>> An old laptop with Win7 that was never updated apparently. Update no
>> longer works for Win7 since January? The Internet Explorer browser is
>> pretty much useless, so have to download Firefox ESR. Then find a
>> program called "Legacy Update" and run that, hoping it doesn't have
>> malware. That grinds away for over an hour installing SP1 and other
>> doovalackeys. Finally you can do Windows Update again, and it swirls
>> around finding 122 updates. Go for a walk to local coffee shop, come
>> back it is still in progress.
>>
> Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
> Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
> <https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>

think I'll try chrome OS on a PC

https://chromeenterprise.google/intl/en_au/os/chromeosflex/

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<v0oinj.3ro.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4316&group=aus.computers#4316

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 29 Apr 2024 14:46:48 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 14:46 UTC

Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Petzl wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:16:07 +0800, Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote:
> >
> >> An old laptop with Win7 that was never updated apparently. Update no
> >> longer works for Win7 since January? The Internet Explorer browser is
> >> pretty much useless, so have to download Firefox ESR. Then find a
> >> program called "Legacy Update" and run that, hoping it doesn't have
> >> malware. That grinds away for over an hour installing SP1 and other
> >> doovalackeys. Finally you can do Windows Update again, and it swirls
> >> around finding 122 updates. Go for a walk to local coffee shop, come
> >> back it is still in progress.
> >>
> > Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
> > Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
> > <https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>
>
> I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
> my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
> planned obsolescence!

Most - if no all - printers 'speak' some level of PCL (Printer Command
Language) [1].

So *manually* add the printer and select a PCL driver. For example on
my Windows 11 system, I can select the 'Microsoft PCL6 Class Driver'.
PCL is a standard since some four decades, about time to start making
use of it! :-)

BTW, which (exact) model Canon printer is it? And what is the exact
name of the Canon printer driver on your Windows 7 system?

In Windows 11 you can get the system to retrieve hundreds and hundreds
more printer drivers by clicking on the 'Windows Update' button while
(manually) installing the printer. For Canon, this gives a list of
probably a hundred - if not more - printers. (I also have a Windows 10
system, so I could also check on that.)

'Printer Command Language
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_Command_Language>

Re: salvaging Win7

<l99u3dFiegsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4317&group=aus.computers#4317

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 01:53:15 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 15:53 UTC

Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Petzl wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:16:07 +0800, Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote:
>>
>>> An old laptop with Win7 that was never updated apparently. Update no
>>> longer works for Win7 since January? The Internet Explorer browser is
>>> pretty much useless, so have to download Firefox ESR. Then find a
>>> program called "Legacy Update" and run that, hoping it doesn't have
>>> malware. That grinds away for over an hour installing SP1 and other
>>> doovalackeys. Finally you can do Windows Update again, and it swirls
>>> around finding 122 updates. Go for a walk to local coffee shop, come
>>> back it is still in progress.
>>>
>> Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
>> Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
>> <https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>
>
> think I'll try chrome OS on a PC
>
> https://chromeenterprise.google/intl/en_au/os/chromeosflex/

not much use tho if you can't install your windows programs on it I guess

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<is403jlu1m8j2gs9jkgofu0qnismb53hvt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4318&group=aus.computers#4318

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 07:47:04 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 21:47 UTC

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 00:03:39 +1000, Mighty Mouse
<"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>Petzl wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:16:07 +0800, Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote:
>>
>>> An old laptop with Win7 that was never updated apparently. Update no
>>> longer works for Win7 since January? The Internet Explorer browser is
>>> pretty much useless, so have to download Firefox ESR. Then find a
>>> program called "Legacy Update" and run that, hoping it doesn't have
>>> malware. That grinds away for over an hour installing SP1 and other
>>> doovalackeys. Finally you can do Windows Update again, and it swirls
>>> around finding 122 updates. Go for a walk to local coffee shop, come
>>> back it is still in progress.
>>>
>> Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
>> Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
>> <https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>
>
>I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
>my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
>planned obsolescence!

Assume you checked?
https://www.canon.com.au/support
Microsoft so-called updates are deliberate downgrades to slow ones
computer so we bunnies go and buy a new computer with a new Microsoft
operating system
That is what this has been about since Windows 3.11
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law
Great lawyers know the judge

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: salvaging Win7

<9d503j1h1aht6p63lulmier0hf6kldpooi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4319&group=aus.computers#4319

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 07:50:29 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 21:50 UTC

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 01:53:15 +1000, Mighty Mouse
<"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Petzl wrote:

>>> Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
>>> Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
>>> <https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>
>>
>> think I'll try chrome OS on a PC
>>
>> https://chromeenterprise.google/intl/en_au/os/chromeosflex/
>>

>not much use tho if you can't install your windows programs on it I guess

Depends what you need?
Google has office (clone) online
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law
Great lawyers know the judge

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: salvaging Win7

<66302579@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4322&group=aus.computers#4322

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 30 Apr 2024 08:55:54 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 22:55 UTC

Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>>> Why don't upgrade to a current operating system?
>>> Win 7 EoL is now for more than 4 years.
>> I suppose you could ask the same thing of me with the Pentium 1 PC
>> I'm posting from now, which dual-boots Linux/Win98. Not only would
>> the computer never run current Windows, but lots of the software on
>> it (including some that only runs when booted directly to MSDOS and
>> talks to parallel port and ISA hardware devices) wouldn't run in
>> current Windows either.
>
> are you some kind of masochist? :)

I wonder that about people who upgrade all the time. :)

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9at4sFmub8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4323&group=aus.computers#4323

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 10:43:07 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 00:43 UTC

Petzl wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 00:03:39 +1000, Mighty Mouse
> <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>
>> Petzl wrote:

>>> Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
>>> Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
>>> <https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>
>> I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
>> my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
>> planned obsolescence!
>>
> Assume you checked?
> https://www.canon.com.au/support

yes and I have tried several I thought might work

> Microsoft so-called updates are deliberate downgrades to slow ones
> computer so we bunnies go and buy a new computer with a new Microsoft
> operating system
> That is what this has been about since Windows 3.11

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9avl1FnatiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4325&group=aus.computers#4325

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 11:25:48 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 01:25 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Petzl wrote:

>>> Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
>>> Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
>>> <https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>
>> I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
>> my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
>> planned obsolescence!
> Most - if no all - printers 'speak' some level of PCL (Printer Command
> Language) [1].
>
> So *manually* add the printer and select a PCL driver. For example on
> my Windows 11 system, I can select the 'Microsoft PCL6 Class Driver'.
> PCL is a standard since some four decades, about time to start making
> use of it! :-)

I will try this, thanks! :)

> BTW, which (exact) model Canon printer is it?

Image Class D320

> And what is the exact
> name of the Canon printer driver on your Windows 7 system?

the printer is not listed in device manager, but this seems to be the
relevant driver..

https://auslink.info/pics/d320.jpg

> In Windows 11 you can get the system to retrieve hundreds and hundreds
> more printer drivers by clicking on the 'Windows Update' button while
> (manually) installing the printer. For Canon, this gives a list of
> probably a hundred - if not more - printers. (I also have a Windows 10
> system, so I could also check on that.)

Ok, I will check this too

> 'Printer Command Language
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_Command_Language>

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9b6kcFo9gpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4329&group=aus.computers#4329

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 13:24:56 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 03:24 UTC

Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>>> I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
>>> my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
>>> planned obsolescence!
>>    Most - if no all - printers 'speak' some level of PCL (Printer
>> Command
>> Language) [1].
>>
>>    So *manually* add the printer and select a PCL driver. For example on
>> my Windows 11 system, I can select the 'Microsoft PCL6 Class Driver'.
>> PCL is a standard since some four decades, about time to start making
>> use of it! :-)

I don't get the PCL option

> I will try this, thanks! :)
>

>>    BTW, which (exact) model Canon printer is it?
>
> Image Class D320
>
>>   And what is the exact
>> name of the Canon printer driver on your Windows 7 system?
>
> the printer is not listed in device manager, but this seems to be the
> relevant driver..
>
> https://auslink.info/pics/d320.jpg
>

>>       In Windows 11 you can get the system to retrieve hundreds and
>> hundreds
>> more printer drivers by clicking on the 'Windows Update' button while
>> (manually) installing the printer. For Canon, this gives a list of
>> probably a hundred - if not more - printers. (I also have a Windows 10
>> system, so I could also check on that.)

did that but this printer is still not listed :(

> Ok, I will check this too
>

>> 'Printer Command Language
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_Command_Language>

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<6630a58b@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4331&group=aus.computers#4331

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 30 Apr 2024 18:02:19 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 08:02 UTC

Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>> I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
>>> my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
>>> planned obsolescence!
>> Most - if no all - printers 'speak' some level of PCL (Printer Command
>> Language) [1].
>>
>> So *manually* add the printer and select a PCL driver. For example on
>> my Windows 11 system, I can select the 'Microsoft PCL6 Class Driver'.
>> PCL is a standard since some four decades, about time to start making
>> use of it! :-)
>
> I will try this, thanks! :)
>

>> BTW, which (exact) model Canon printer is it?
>
> Image Class D320

The Canon pages describe that model as part of their ImageCLASS
D300 series, and ImageCLASS D300 is listed here as one of the
printers that communicate using CARPS (Canon Advanced Raster
Printing System), not PCL:
https://github.com/ondrej-zary/carps-cups

But that page does claim that, perhaps with some work, you can make
it work on Linux. In turn with a fair bit more work you might be
able to use this system to make it work in newer Windows with WSL2:
https://openprinting.github.io/wsl-printer-app/

But I think you'd be lucky to get all that to work right first try.
I had similar trouble with a Samsung laser printer that uses
Samsung's own protocol and I gave up trying to get Linux drivers
for that to work. When you turned on colour it would just print out
error codes, and I already had a B/W laser printer. It's sat on the
floor unused ever since. I must try again one day though, now that
there should be newer driver versions.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9bo4iFqncgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4332&group=aus.computers#4332

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 18:23:46 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 08:23 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>>> Most - if no all - printers 'speak' some level of PCL (Printer Command
>>> Language) [1].
>>>
>>> So *manually* add the printer and select a PCL driver. For example on
>>> my Windows 11 system, I can select the 'Microsoft PCL6 Class Driver'.
>>> PCL is a standard since some four decades, about time to start making
>>> use of it! :-)
>> I will try this, thanks! :)
>>
>>> BTW, which (exact) model Canon printer is it?
>> Image Class D320
> The Canon pages describe that model as part of their ImageCLASS
> D300 series, and ImageCLASS D300 is listed here as one of the
> printers that communicate using CARPS (Canon Advanced Raster
> Printing System), not PCL:
> https://github.com/ondrej-zary/carps-cups
>
> But that page does claim that, perhaps with some work, you can make
> it work on Linux. In turn with a fair bit more work you might be
> able to use this system to make it work in newer Windows with WSL2:
> https://openprinting.github.io/wsl-printer-app/
>
> But I think you'd be lucky to get all that to work right first try.
> I had similar trouble with a Samsung laser printer that uses
> Samsung's own protocol and I gave up trying to get Linux drivers
> for that to work. When you turned on colour it would just print out
> error codes, and I already had a B/W laser printer. It's sat on the
> floor unused ever since. I must try again one day though, now that
> there should be newer driver versions.

I've tried the CARPS drivers. they don't work

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<op.2m1bkqaebyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4333&group=aus.computers#4333

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:35:04 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 09:35 UTC

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 07:47:04 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 00:03:39 +1000, Mighty Mouse
> <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>
>> Petzl wrote:

>>> Unless there are WIN7 APP's you need.
>>> Possibly easier to install a Chrome operating System.
>>> <https://www.google.com.au/intl/en_au/chrome/>
>>
>> I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
>> my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
>> planned obsolescence!

> Assume you checked?
> https://www.canon.com.au/support

> Microsoft so-called updates are deliberate downgrades to slow ones
> computer so we bunnies go and buy a new computer with a new Microsoft
> operating system
> That is what this has been about since Windows 3.11

BULLSHIT

Re: salvaging Win7

<uaf13j9toh88uf7rokd42tnp2urvtc4isb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4334&group=aus.computers#4334

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:46:21 +1000
 by: Petzl - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 09:46 UTC

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:35:04 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 07:47:04 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 00:03:39 +1000, Mighty Mouse
>> <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>>> I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
>>> my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
>>> planned obsolescence!
>
>> Assume you checked?
>> https://www.canon.com.au/support
>
>> Microsoft so-called updates are deliberate downgrades to slow ones
>> computer so we bunnies go and buy a new computer with a new Microsoft
>> operating system
>> That is what this has been about since Windows 3.11
>
>BULLSHIT

So your Widows 7 PC is not now junk?
Nor have you assimilated to a Windows 11 PC?
--
Petzl
To be truly fluent in English,
you must know your shits
Shits
Dogshit - Very poor quality
Bullshit - Not true
Horseshit - Nonsense
Apeshit - Rambunctious
Batshit - Insane
Chickenshit cowards
Ratshit - poor quality
No shit - Obviously
Holy shit - mind blowing/unbelievable
Hot shit - very good
Dipshit - a total dumbass
Tuff shit - Take it or leave it.
Jack shit - nothing
The shit - perfection

Re: salvaging Win7

<op.2m1cjiq7byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4335&group=aus.computers#4335

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:55:56 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 09:55 UTC

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:46:21 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:35:04 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 07:47:04 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Assume you checked?
>>> https://www.canon.com.au/support
>>
>>> Microsoft so-called updates are deliberate downgrades to slow ones
>>> computer so we bunnies go and buy a new computer with a new Microsoft
>>> operating system
>>> That is what this has been about since Windows 3.11
>>
>> BULLSHIT

> So your Widows 7 PC is not now junk?

Nope, that's what I am posting from fine right now.

> Nor have you assimilated to a Windows 11 PC?

Nope. My laptop is Win 11 but I don't use it much at all.

I originally got it to use ABC iview because it refused
to work on the Win7 PC but does now and I used it fine
this morning to watch Media Watch.

Re: salvaging Win7

<hsh13jtto5tqdsjil4rk24ov4s6rn49iuk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4336&group=aus.computers#4336

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 20:36:06 +1000
 by: Petzl - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 10:36 UTC

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:55:56 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:46:21 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:35:04 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> BULLSHIT
>
>> So your Widows 7 PC is not now junk?
>
>Nope, that's what I am posting from fine right now.
>
>> Nor have you assimilated to a Windows 11 PC?
>
>Nope. My laptop is Win 11 but I don't use it much at all.
>
>I originally got it to use ABC iview because it refused
>to work on the Win7 PC but does now and I used it fine
>this morning to watch Media Watch.

OK glad its working out for you
My Windows 8 computer, which was rubbish from day one.
So tried Windows 10 which a little better after numerous "updates" is
slowly chugging along. but allows videos to play receive/send email.
my banking, make Skype overseas calls.
But not as fast as it once was.
Probably needs another clean install
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law
Great lawyers know the judge

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: salvaging Win7

<v0qu7i.3e4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4337&group=aus.computers#4337

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 30 Apr 2024 12:12:50 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 12:12 UTC

Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Mighty Mouse wrote:
> > Frank Slootweg wrote:

> >>    Most - if no all - printers 'speak' some level of PCL (Printer
> >> Command
> >> Language) [1].
> >>
> >>    So *manually* add the printer and select a PCL driver. For example on
> >> my Windows 11 system, I can select the 'Microsoft PCL6 Class Driver'.
> >> PCL is a standard since some four decades, about time to start making
> >> use of it! :-)
>
> I don't get the PCL option

Which Windows version do you have (11, 10, 8.1, other)?

On my Windows 11 system:

Start -> Settings -> Bluetooth & devices -> Printers & scanners -> Add
printer or scanner -> Add device -> "The printer that I want isn't
listed" -> Add manually -> Find a printer by other options -> (multiple
options) select '* Add a local pprinter or network printer with manual
settings' -> [Next] -> Choose a printer port -> * Use an existing port
-> (because I do not have an actual printer to add and I suggest that -
at least initially - you do the same) FILE: (Print to File) -> [Next]

Now you have a window with two panes. On the left 'Manufacturer' and
on the right 'Printers'.

In the left pane select 'Microsoft'. In the right pane you will see
'Microsoft PCL6 Class Driver'.

This should prove to you that that driver exists on your system.

If your printer uses an USB connection, you probably have to select
'nul: (Local Port)', but I don't know for sure.

If it's a Bluetooth, wireless or network discoverable printer, use
that option.

> > I will try this, thanks! :)

[Rest in another response, *if* I can find a better (Canon) driver.]

Re: salvaging Win7

<v0r040.mro.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4338&group=aus.computers#4338

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 30 Apr 2024 12:44:50 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 12:44 UTC

Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
[...]
> >> I have win7 PC I need to keep running because there are no drivers for
> >> my Canon laser printer/copier/fax for win10 or Linux. damn M$ for their
> >> planned obsolescence!
> >
> > Most - if no all - printers 'speak' some level of PCL (Printer Command
> > Language) [1].
> >
> > So *manually* add the printer and select a PCL driver. For example on
> > my Windows 11 system, I can select the 'Microsoft PCL6 Class Driver'.
> > PCL is a standard since some four decades, about time to start making
> > use of it! :-)
>
> I will try this, thanks! :)
>
> > BTW, which (exact) model Canon printer is it?
>
> Image Class D320
>
> > And what is the exact
> > name of the Canon printer driver on your Windows 7 system?
>
> the printer is not listed in device manager, but this seems to be the
> relevant driver..
>
> https://auslink.info/pics/d320.jpg

That's the USB driver for the/any printer, i.e. the interface side. I
was looking for the name of the printer-specific driver, i.e. the
printer side.

Normally when you install a printer, the printer gets the name of the
printer driver, but of course you can rename a printer, so your printer
might have a different name than you printer driver.

> > In Windows 11 you can get the system to retrieve hundreds and hundreds
> > more printer drivers by clicking on the 'Windows Update' button while
> > (manually) installing the printer. For Canon, this gives a list of
> > probably a hundred - if not more - printers. (I also have a Windows 10
> > system, so I could also check on that.)
>
> Ok, I will check this too

On the two-pane 'Install the printer driver' window (see my response
of earlier today) I used the '[Windows Update]' button to get more
drivers. This gives a list for Manufacturer 'Canon' and 'Canon Inc.'.

The 'Canon Inc.' list shows only a few printers. The 'Canon' list
shows very many.

There are some 'imageCLASS' (note different case and one word)
printers, but not a D320 or similar. Sadly you can't search the list to
see if there is perhaps another printer with a slightly different
spelling/wording.

I know that some people have extracted printer drivers from a running
system - also from Windows 7 - and installed/'imported' those on Windows
10 and 11, but I have no experience with that or pointers/notes about
that. Perhaps others can help with that.

> > 'Printer Command Language
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_Command_Language>

Re: salvaging Win7

<v0r98r.jbo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4339&group=aus.computers#4339

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 30 Apr 2024 15:20:43 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 15:20 UTC

Earlier today, I wrote:
> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> > Frank Slootweg wrote:
[Lots deleted.]

> I know that some people have extracted printer drivers from a running
> system - also from Windows 7 - and installed/'imported' those on Windows
> 10 and 11, but I have no experience with that or pointers/notes about
> that. Perhaps others can help with that.

I did a bit of Googling on this and found that you can export print
drivers from Windows 7 and import them on Windows 8[.1], 10 and 11.

The only limitation seems to be that you can only export/import
to/from equal bitness systems, i.e. 32-bit to 32-bit and 64-bit to
64-bit, so if your Windows 7 system is 32-bit, you can only import in
32-bit 8[.1] and 10 systems, but not into Windows 11, because that's
only 64-bit.

A good article I have found is mentioned below. Because it's from
TenForums, it only covers Windows 7, 8 and 10, but I'm sure the method
also works on 11 (and there's probably a ElevenForums article as well).

Hope this helps.

'How to Backup and Restore Printers in Windows'
<https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/101051-backup-restore-printers-windows.html>
(Found by searching Google on "Windows extract printer driver windows 7")

Re: salvaging Win7

<v0rah7.ov8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4340&group=aus.computers#4340

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 30 Apr 2024 15:42:12 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 15:42 UTC

Earlier today, I wrote:
> Earlier today, I wrote:
> > Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> > > Frank Slootweg wrote:
> [Lots deleted.]
>
> > I know that some people have extracted printer drivers from a running
> > system - also from Windows 7 - and installed/'imported' those on Windows
> > 10 and 11, but I have no experience with that or pointers/notes about
> > that. Perhaps others can help with that.
>
> I did a bit of Googling on this and found that you can export print
> drivers from Windows 7 and import them on Windows 8[.1], 10 and 11.
>
> The only limitation seems to be that you can only export/import
> to/from equal bitness systems, i.e. 32-bit to 32-bit and 64-bit to
> 64-bit, so if your Windows 7 system is 32-bit, you can only import in
> 32-bit 8[.1] and 10 systems, but not into Windows 11, because that's
> only 64-bit.
>
> A good article I have found is mentioned below. Because it's from
> TenForums, it only covers Windows 7, 8 and 10, but I'm sure the method
> also works on 11 (and there's probably a ElevenForums article as well).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> 'How to Backup and Restore Printers in Windows'
> <https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/101051-backup-restore-printers-windows.html>
> (Found by searching Google on "Windows extract printer driver windows 7")

And some more searching, now on the Canon site(s).

I had no luck on the AU site, but on the US site, I found imageCLASS
D320 drivers for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, both 32bit and 64bit. As the
Windows 11 kernel is effectively the same as the Windows 10 one (it even
reports version 10), I'm sure you can use the Windows 10 version of the
printer driver on Windows 11 (I've done so for my HP printer (which came
from Windows 8.1)).

Hope this helps.

<https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageclass-d320>