It's documented in The Book, somewhere... -- Larry Wall in <10502@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: salvaging Win7

SubjectAuthor
* salvaging Win7Ozix
+* Re: salvaging Win7Marco Moock
|`* Re: salvaging Win7Computer Nerd Kev
| `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
|  `* Re: salvaging Win7Computer Nerd Kev
|   +* Re: salvaging Win7Computer Nerd Kev
|   |`* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
|   | `- Re: salvaging Win7Rod Speed
|   `- Re: salvaging Win7keithr0
`* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 +* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 |+* Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 ||`* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 || +* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 || |`- Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 || +* Re: salvaging Win7Computer Nerd Kev
 || |`- Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 || `* Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 ||  `* Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 ||   `* Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 ||    `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 ||     `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 ||      `* Re: salvaging Win7Frank Slootweg
 ||       `- Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 |`* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 | +- Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 | `* Re: salvaging Win7Rod Speed
 |  `* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 |   +* Re: salvaging Win7Rod Speed
 |   |`* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 |   | `- Re: salvaging Win7Rod Speed
 |   `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 |    `* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
 |     `- Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
 `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
  `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
   `* Re: salvaging Win7Petzl
    `* Re: salvaging Win7Mighty Mouse
     `- Re: salvaging Win7Petzl

Pages:12
Re: salvaging Win7

<l9clgrFjboU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4341&group=aus.computers#4341

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: salvaging Win7
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 02:45:14 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 16:45 UTC

Petzl wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:35:04 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 07:47:04 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Assume you checked?
>>> https://www.canon.com.au/support
>>> Microsoft so-called updates are deliberate downgrades to slow ones
>>> computer so we bunnies go and buy a new computer with a new Microsoft
>>> operating system
>>> That is what this has been about since Windows 3.11
>> BULLSHIT
>>
> So your Widows 7 PC is not now junk?
> Nor have you assimilated to a Windows 11 PC?

none of my dozen or so computers can run win11

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<op.2m10mwhebyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4342&group=aus.computers#4342

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 04:36:22 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 18:36 UTC

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 20:36:06 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:55:56 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:46:21 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So your Widows 7 PC is not now junk?
>>
>> Nope, that's what I am posting from fine right now.
>>
>>> Nor have you assimilated to a Windows 11 PC?
>>
>> Nope. My laptop is Win 11 but I don't use it much at all.
>>
>> I originally got it to use ABC iview because it refused
>> to work on the Win7 PC but does now and I used it fine
>> this morning to watch Media Watch.
>>
> OK glad its working out for you
> My Windows 8 computer, which was rubbish from day one.
> So tried Windows 10 which a little better after numerous "updates" is
> slowly chugging along. but allows videos to play receive/send email.
> my banking, make Skype overseas calls.
> But not as fast as it once was.

Never seen that with the Win11 laptop.

Never seen that with the Win7 PC either.

> Probably needs another clean install

Never needed to do that with the Win7 PC its still on the original install.

Re: salvaging Win7

<pal23j1a338v86qis98p7gtpl0quduvk20@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4343&group=aus.computers#4343

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 06:36:36 +1000
 by: Petzl - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 20:36 UTC

On Wed, 1 May 2024 02:45:14 +1000, Mighty Mouse
<"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>Petzl wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:35:04 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> BULLSHIT
>>>
>> So your Widows 7 PC is not now junk?
>> Nor have you assimilated to a Windows 11 PC?
>
>none of my dozen or so computers can run win11

You are lucky!
My computers will not downgrade to win11 either.
If this crap gets worse will change this computer to a CIA's Google
operating system,
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9jbb7Fm67U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4344&group=aus.computers#4344

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 15:34:27 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Fri, 3 May 2024 05:34 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Earlier today, I wrote:
>> Earlier today, I wrote:
>> [Lots deleted.]
>>
>>> I know that some people have extracted printer drivers from a running
>>> system - also from Windows 7 - and installed/'imported' those on Windows
>>> 10 and 11, but I have no experience with that or pointers/notes about
>>> that. Perhaps others can help with that.
>> I did a bit of Googling on this and found that you can export print
>> drivers from Windows 7 and import them on Windows 8[.1], 10 and 11.
>>
>> The only limitation seems to be that you can only export/import
>> to/from equal bitness systems, i.e. 32-bit to 32-bit and 64-bit to
>> 64-bit, so if your Windows 7 system is 32-bit, you can only import in
>> 32-bit 8[.1] and 10 systems, but not into Windows 11, because that's
>> only 64-bit.
>>
>> A good article I have found is mentioned below. Because it's from
>> TenForums, it only covers Windows 7, 8 and 10, but I'm sure the method
>> also works on 11 (and there's probably a ElevenForums article as well).
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> 'How to Backup and Restore Printers in Windows'
>> <https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/101051-backup-restore-printers-windows.html>
>> (Found by searching Google on "Windows extract printer driver windows 7")
> And some more searching, now on the Canon site(s).
>
> I had no luck on the AU site, but on the US site, I found imageCLASS
> D320 drivers for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, both 32bit and 64bit. As the
> Windows 11 kernel is effectively the same as the Windows 10 one (it even
> reports version 10), I'm sure you can use the Windows 10 version of the
> printer driver on Windows 11 (I've done so for my HP printer (which came
> from Windows 8.1)).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> <https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageclass-d320>

that's the first driver I had tried, both the US and UK version, but it
stubbornly refuses to see the printer. I will try the other things you
suggest later when I have more time to stuff around with this. thanks
for your help.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9jbouFm67U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4345&group=aus.computers#4345

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 15:41:48 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Fri, 3 May 2024 05:41 UTC

Petzl wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2024 02:45:14 +1000, Mighty Mouse
> <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>
>> Petzl wrote:

>>> So your Widows 7 PC is not now junk?
>>> Nor have you assimilated to a Windows 11 PC?
>> none of my dozen or so computers can run win11
>>
> You are lucky!
> My computers will not downgrade to win11 either.
> If this crap gets worse will change this computer to a CIA's Google
> operating system,

I will change some of mine to Linux and maybe google. sick of M$ BS

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9jbv8Fm67U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4346&group=aus.computers#4346

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 15:45:10 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Fri, 3 May 2024 05:45 UTC

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1056325?hl=en

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9jg7oF1c3uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4347&group=aus.computers#4347

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 16:57:58 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Fri, 3 May 2024 06:57 UTC

Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> Earlier today, I wrote:
>>> [Lots deleted.]

>>>    I did a bit of Googling on this and found that you can export print
>>> drivers from Windows 7 and import them on Windows 8[.1], 10 and 11.
>>>
>>>    The only limitation seems to be that you can only export/import
>>> to/from equal bitness systems, i.e. 32-bit to 32-bit and 64-bit to
>>> 64-bit, so if your Windows 7 system is 32-bit, you can only import in
>>> 32-bit 8[.1] and 10 systems, but not into Windows 11, because that's
>>> only 64-bit.
>>>
>>>    A good article I have found is mentioned below. Because it's from
>>> TenForums, it only covers Windows 7, 8 and 10, but I'm sure the method
>>> also works on 11 (and there's probably a ElevenForums article as well).
>>>
>>>    Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> 'How to Backup and Restore Printers in Windows'
>>> <https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/101051-backup-restore-printers-windows.html>
>>>
>>> (Found by searching Google on "Windows extract printer driver
>>> windows 7")
>>    And some more searching, now on the Canon site(s).
>>       I had no luck on the AU site, but on the US site, I found
>> imageCLASS
>> D320 drivers for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, both 32bit and 64bit. As the
>> Windows 11 kernel is effectively the same as the Windows 10 one (it even
>> reports version 10), I'm sure you can use the Windows 10 version of the
>> printer driver on Windows 11 (I've done so for my HP printer (which came
>> from Windows 8.1)).
>>
>>    Hope this helps.
>>
>> <https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageclass-d320>
>
> that's the first driver I had tried, both the US and UK version, but
> it stubbornly refuses to see the printer. I will try the other things
> you suggest later when I have more time to stuff around with this.
> thanks for your help.

I finally did it! Using that driver, which is supposed to be the correct
driver. this is how.. unzipped it to a folder on the desktop, ran a USB
cable direct to the printer, bypassing the printer switch, and using
manual printer install pointed to the .inf file in that folder,
installed the driver, and tested. printer works. then reconnected the
printer to the hub, but still no go. after stuffing around with
settings, ports, etc., I finally realized it was a cable connection
issue. so got the printer working fine now, and it will switch between
my PC's as originally intended. thanks everyone!

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<j3993jpqc0tas24rse3kffrp48ia06i24i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4348&group=aus.computers#4348

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 18:52:11 +1000
 by: Petzl - Fri, 3 May 2024 08:52 UTC

On Fri, 3 May 2024 15:45:10 +1000, Mighty Mouse

>>> not much use tho if you can't install your windows programs on it I guess
>>>
>> Depends what you need?
>> Google has office (clone) online
>
>https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1056325?hl=en

Not sure about WIN7
to speed it up
bottom left of start-up screen type
DISK
Should show
Clean-up Disk
Right Click mouse button
Select run as administrator
Very slow but will eventually show
Run Clean-up Disk
on each dialogue box read and click ok
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law
Great lawyers know the judge

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.

Re: salvaging Win7

<v130dr.cho.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4349&group=aus.computers#4349

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 3 May 2024 13:38:48 GMT
References: <6621fe18$1@news.ausics.net> <84ih2j1g0tea5dbbeft4fbhr3ev8iln9b1@4ax.com> <l99nluFhgl4U1@mid.individual.net> <v0oinj.3ro.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <l9avl1FnatiU1@mid.individual.net> <v0r040.mro.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <v0r98r.jbo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <v0rah7.ov8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <l9jbb7Fm67U1@mid.individual.net> <l9jg7oF1c3uU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 3 May 2024 13:38 UTC

Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Mighty Mouse wrote:
> > Frank Slootweg wrote:

> >> And some more searching, now on the Canon site(s).
> >>
> >> I had no luck on the AU site, but on the US site, I found imageCLASS
> >> D320 drivers for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, both 32bit and 64bit. As the
> >> Windows 11 kernel is effectively the same as the Windows 10 one (it even
> >> reports version 10), I'm sure you can use the Windows 10 version of the
> >> printer driver on Windows 11 (I've done so for my HP printer (which came
> >> from Windows 8.1)).
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> <https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageclass-d320>
> >
> > that's the first driver I had tried, both the US and UK version, but
> > it stubbornly refuses to see the printer. I will try the other things
> > you suggest later when I have more time to stuff around with this.
> > thanks for your help.
>
> I finally did it! Using that driver, which is supposed to be the correct
> driver. this is how.. unzipped it to a folder on the desktop, ran a USB
> cable direct to the printer, bypassing the printer switch, and using
> manual printer install pointed to the .inf file in that folder,
> installed the driver, and tested. printer works. then reconnected the
> printer to the hub, but still no go. after stuffing around with
> settings, ports, etc., I finally realized it was a cable connection
> issue. so got the printer working fine now, and it will switch between
> my PC's as originally intended. thanks everyone!

You're very welcome. Glad that it all worked out. And thank you for
the feedback.

Re: salvaging Win7

<663580d8@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4351&group=aus.computers#4351

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 4 May 2024 10:27:04 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 4 May 2024 00:27 UTC

keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
> On 30/04/2024 8:55 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> are you some kind of masochist? :)
>>
>> I wonder that about people who upgrade all the time. :)
>>
> It's called progress, the reason why we aren't still using CP/M on 8080
> based machines.

Progress is having the option to buy faster machines when needed.

People who buy them when they don't have a need put themselves to
extra trouble, especially if they then find other things like
printers won't work as a result. But each to his own.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9le60Fab98U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4353&group=aus.computers#4353

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 10:35:11 +1000
<l9jbb7Fm67U1@mid.individual.net> <l9jg7oF1c3uU1@mid.individual.net>
<v130dr.cho.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sat, 4 May 2024 00:35 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Mighty Mouse wrote:

>>> that's the first driver I had tried, both the US and UK version, but
>>> it stubbornly refuses to see the printer. I will try the other things
>>> you suggest later when I have more time to stuff around with this.
>>> thanks for your help.
>> I finally did it! Using that driver, which is supposed to be the correct
>> driver. this is how.. unzipped it to a folder on the desktop, ran a USB
>> cable direct to the printer, bypassing the printer switch, and using
>> manual printer install pointed to the .inf file in that folder,
>> installed the driver, and tested. printer works. then reconnected the
>> printer to the hub, but still no go. after stuffing around with
>> settings, ports, etc., I finally realized it was a cable connection
>> issue. so got the printer working fine now, and it will switch between
>> my PC's as originally intended. thanks everyone!
> You're very welcome. Glad that it all worked out. And thank you for
> the feedback.

it was your suggestion to do a manual install that finally led to the
solution.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9lea7Fab98U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4354&group=aus.computers#4354

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 10:37:26 +1000
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sat, 4 May 2024 00:37 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
>>> I wonder that about people who upgrade all the time. :)
>>>
>> It's called progress, the reason why we aren't still using CP/M on 8080
>> based machines.
> Progress is having the option to buy faster machines when needed.
>
> People who buy them when they don't have a need put themselves to
> extra trouble, especially if they then find other things like
> printers won't work as a result. But each to his own.

M$ forces us to keep upgrading hardware and software.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: salvaging Win7

<l9lbeiF9ui9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4362&group=aus.computers#4362

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 09:48:34 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 3 May 2024 23:48 UTC

On 30/04/2024 8:55 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>>> I suppose you could ask the same thing of me with the Pentium 1 PC
>>> I'm posting from now, which dual-boots Linux/Win98. Not only would
>>> the computer never run current Windows, but lots of the software on
>>> it (including some that only runs when booted directly to MSDOS and
>>> talks to parallel port and ISA hardware devices) wouldn't run in
>>> current Windows either.
>>
>> are you some kind of masochist? :)
>
> I wonder that about people who upgrade all the time. :)

It's called progress, the reason why we aren't still using CP/M on 8080
based machines.

Re: salvaging Win7

<op.2m9f34q2byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4367&group=aus.computers#4367

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 05 May 2024 04:53:54 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 4 May 2024 18:53 UTC

On Sat, 04 May 2024 10:37:26 +1000, Mighty Mouse
<squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
>>>>
>>> It's called progress, the reason why we aren't still using CP/M on 8080
>>> based machines.
>> Progress is having the option to buy faster machines when needed.
>>
>> People who buy them when they don't have a need put themselves to
>> extra trouble, especially if they then find other things like
>> printers won't work as a result. But each to his own.
>>

> M$ forces us to keep upgrading hardware and software.

Bullshit with both claims.

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: salvaging Win7