QED.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Car on track at Cheshunt

SubjectAuthor
* Car on track at CheshuntAnna Noyd-Dryver
+- Car on track at CheshuntRoland Perry
+* Car on track at CheshuntSam Wilson
|+- Car on track at CheshuntSam Wilson
|+* Car on track at CheshuntCharles Ellson
||`* Car on track at CheshuntSam Wilson
|| `* Car on track at CheshuntCharles Ellson
||  `* Car on track at CheshuntSam Wilson
||   +- Car on track at CheshuntRecliner
||   +* Car on track at CheshuntAnna Noyd-Dryver
||   |`- Car on track at CheshuntSam Wilson
||   `- Car on track at CheshuntMarland
|+* Car on track at CheshuntNY
||+- Car on track at CheshuntAnna Noyd-Dryver
||`* Car on track at CheshuntMark Goodge
|| +- Car on track at CheshuntNY
|| +- Car on track at Cheshunttony sayer
|| `* Car on track at CheshuntBasil Jet
||  `* Car on track at CheshuntAnna Noyd-Dryver
||   `- Car on track at CheshuntBasil Jet
|`- Car on track at CheshuntTrolleybus
`* Car on track at CheshuntAnna Noyd-Dryver
 +- Car on track at CheshuntRecliner
 `* Car on track at CheshuntRoland Perry
  `* Car on track at CheshuntAnna Noyd-Dryver
   +- Car on track at CheshuntRecliner
   +* Car on track at CheshuntRoland Perry
   |`- Car on track at CheshuntMark Goodge
   `- Car on track at CheshuntMark Goodge

Pages:12
Re: Car on track at Cheshunt

<scvl89$uss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4444&group=uk.railway#4444

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Car on track at Cheshunt
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 22:23:06 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MIo0x3+ymtM/WhblX/rFWT6FwJY=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 22:23 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 08:12:34 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
>> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Or an exploding car at least? Is there prior art?
>>>
>> Not that I can find in the form of a car failing to outrun a train
>> along the line rather than the more usual getting wiped out while
>> going across a level crossing. The nearest seems to be various videos
>> of drivers trying to outrun trams in an attempt to turn in front of
>> them at crossroads. In the real world, cars tend not to catch fire as
>> portrayed in films.
>
> I know. Disappointing, isn’t it. They should explode spectacularly! I
> was wondering whether there had been cars in contact with the third rail
> and what might have happened to them.

I wonder what'll happen when someone tries that with an 800V BEV (with
underfloor batteries)?

Re: Car on track at Cheshunt

<sd0o63$uhj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4463&group=uk.railway#4463

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 08:19:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:y3YVuXqNh7AqsmcEryETgSYB2rg=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 08:19 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 08:12:34 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
>> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Or an exploding car at least? Is there prior art?
>>>
>> Not that I can find in the form of a car failing to outrun a train
>> along the line rather than the more usual getting wiped out while
>> going across a level crossing. The nearest seems to be various videos
>> of drivers trying to outrun trams in an attempt to turn in front of
>> them at crossroads. In the real world, cars tend not to catch fire as
>> portrayed in films.
>
> I know. Disappointing, isn’t it. They should explode spectacularly!

<https://youtu.be/nqJiWbD08Yw>

Tom Scott: Why Real Explosions Don't Look Like Movie Explosions

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Car on track at Cheshunt

<sd145e$kbm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4488&group=uk.railway#4488

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 11:43:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ct2UchA4KRCDRKqUpyNifuPBvCE=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 11:43 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Not that I can find in the form of a car failing to outrun a train
>>> along the line rather than the more usual getting wiped out while
>>> going across a level crossing. The nearest seems to be various videos
>>> of drivers trying to outrun trams in an attempt to turn in front of
>>> them at crossroads. In the real world, cars tend not to catch fire as
>>> portrayed in films.
>>
>> I know. Disappointing, isn’t it. They should explode spectacularly!
>>

> <https://youtu.be/nqJiWbD08Yw>
>
> Tom Scott: Why Real Explosions Don't Look Like Movie Explosions

:-)

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Car on track at Cheshunt

<iljop3F8qhvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4528&group=uk.railway#4528

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 18 Jul 2021 22:37:23 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 22:37 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 08:12:34 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
>> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Or an exploding car at least? Is there prior art?
>>>
>> Not that I can find in the form of a car failing to outrun a train
>> along the line rather than the more usual getting wiped out while
>> going across a level crossing. The nearest seems to be various videos
>> of drivers trying to outrun trams in an attempt to turn in front of
>> them at crossroads. In the real world, cars tend not to catch fire as
>> portrayed in films.
>
> I know. Disappointing, isn’t it. They should explode spectacularly! I
> was wondering whether there had been cars in contact with the third rail
> and what might have happened to them.
>
> Sam

I know of one incident quite a few years ago now.
The owner of a Southampton cleaning business had become quite successful
and rewarded himself
with a powerful car whose make I cannot recall got killed coming off one
of the roads into the city Thomas Lewis Way which runs alongside the
railway for a distance. The car which was being driven at excessively high
speed hit a traffic Island causing loss of control and left the road,
ploughed through vegetation and ended up on the railway. At some point the
petrol tank was ruptured and the arcing from the third rail ignited the
leaking fuel with the consequential fire incinerating the vehicle and the
two occupants who may or may not have already been dead or incapacitated
before it came to rest on the railway.

GH