I like your game but we have to change the rules.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: That was fun.

SubjectAuthor
* That was fun.Krusty
+- That was fun.YTC#1
+* That was fun.Champ
|+- That was fun.Krusty
|`* That was fun.Hog
| `* That was fun.Champ
|  `* That was fun.Hog
|   `- That was fun.siwilson
+- That was fun.wessie
+* That was fun.Dave Brown
|+- That was fun.wessie
|`* That was fun.Champ
| +- That was fun.Ace
| `* That was fun.Turby
|  `* That was fun.Eddie
|   `* That was fun.YTC#1
|    `* That was fun.Ace
|     `* That was fun.YTC#1
|      `* That was fun.Ace
|       `* That was fun.wessie
|        `* That was fun.YTC#1
|         +* That was fun.Dave Brown
|         |`- That was fun.YTC#1
|         `* That was fun.Turby
|          `* That was fun.Ace
|           `* That was fun.Eddie
|            +- That was fun.YTC#1
|            `- That was fun.Ace
+- That was fun.Buzby
+- That was fun.Colin Irvine
`* That was fun.Ben Blaney
 +* That was fun.Turby
 |`* That was fun.Stephen Packer
 | `- That was fun.sweller
 +* That was fun.YTC#1
 |+* That was fun.Salad Dodger
 ||`- That was fun.YTC#1
 |`* That was fun.Krusty
 | `- That was fun.YTC#1
 `- That was fun.Krusty

Pages:12
That was fun.

<sk9k0h$q9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4866&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4866

From: dontwant...@nowhere.invalid (Krusty)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: That was fun.
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:57:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Krusty - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:57 UTC

2k miles over 10 days, first tour on the GS & the first with a pillion
for what must be 20 years. A bit of rain on the first day from
Saint-Malo to La Rochelle, then clear blue skies & sunshine, even
yesterday evening in Calais. We looped around via Biarritz, Andorra,
Leucate, Cleremont-Ferrand, Paris, Amiens & Wissant. Fantastic roads in
the Pyrenees as always, the run down from Soldeu to Perpignan was epic,
even on a very heavily loaded bike[1]. The top-box weighed 23.7kg when
we got home, due to the 6 bottles & 2 large boxes of duty-free wine we
stuffed in it. Add in the dry-bag strapped on top & I'm astonished the
rack survived.

The bike performed faultlessly, & I can kinda see why they're so
popular for touring, but fuck me there are millions of them. I
genuinely think over 80% of the non-scooters we saw were GS's. The
seat's shit though, only made bearable by the Airhawk.

The next trip will be in a motorhome with a DRZ400 or similar on the
back, & potentially involve residency applications. The foothills of
the Pyrenees near either Biarritz or Leucate is where I'd planned to
retire to before Brexit fucked that dream up, but this trip confirmed
it's worth the grief of trying to get annual visas.

[1] A pair of expanded Vario panniers, 52l Givi top-box, three 20l Lomo
dry-bags & a tank bag. Which sounds too much, but needed to cover
mid-20's temps down to low single figures for two people, including
wetsuits & towels.

--
Krusty

Re: That was fun.

<sk9lqo$p1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4867&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4867

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: That was fun.
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:28:04 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 16:28 UTC

On 14/10/2021 16:57, Krusty wrote:
> 2k miles over 10 days, first tour on the GS & the first with a pillion
> for what must be 20 years. A bit of rain on the first day from
> Saint-Malo to La Rochelle, then clear blue skies & sunshine, even
> yesterday evening in Calais. We looped around via Biarritz, Andorra,
> Leucate, Cleremont-Ferrand, Paris, Amiens & Wissant. Fantastic roads in
> the Pyrenees as always, the run down from Soldeu to Perpignan was epic,
> even on a very heavily loaded bike[1]. The top-box weighed 23.7kg when
> we got home, due to the 6 bottles & 2 large boxes of duty-free wine we
> stuffed in it. Add in the dry-bag strapped on top & I'm astonished the
> rack survived.

Nice.

<looks at XJR and remembers mate is in Alicante for 3 weeks>
</l>

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: That was fun.

<c4ngmg5pi5ktc2gkh47cfrepqd507f33kd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4868&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4868

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:39:39 +0100
 by: Champ - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 16:39 UTC

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:57:05 -0000 (UTC), "Krusty"
<dontwantany@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>2k miles over 10 days, first tour on the GS & the first with a pillion
>for what must be 20 years. A bit of rain on the first day from
>Saint-Malo to La Rochelle, then clear blue skies & sunshine, even
>yesterday evening in Calais. We looped around via Biarritz, Andorra,
>Leucate, Cleremont-Ferrand, Paris, Amiens & Wissant. Fantastic roads in
>the Pyrenees as always, the run down from Soldeu to Perpignan was epic,
>even on a very heavily loaded bike[1]. The top-box weighed 23.7kg when
>we got home, due to the 6 bottles & 2 large boxes of duty-free wine we
>stuffed in it. Add in the dry-bag strapped on top & I'm astonished the
>rack survived.
>
>The bike performed faultlessly, & I can kinda see why they're so
>popular for touring, but fuck me there are millions of them. I
>genuinely think over 80% of the non-scooters we saw were GS's. The
>seat's shit though, only made bearable by the Airhawk.
>
>The next trip will be in a motorhome with a DRZ400 or similar on the
>back, & potentially involve residency applications. The foothills of
>the Pyrenees near either Biarritz or Leucate is where I'd planned to
>retire to before Brexit fucked that dream up, but this trip confirmed
>it's worth the grief of trying to get annual visas.

Fuck but it's nice to read this :-) I was half planning a quick
October dash to Spain with a mate who lives here on the IoM, but he's
had to kick it into touch, so won't be happening for me, now.

My new[1] motorhome is the sort of race van with garage space in the
back, beloved by motocrossers, and once I've proved it's reliability
around the IoM, and then perhaps a trip or two across the UK (I feel
Scotland calling) then a big Euro trip, with a bike in the back for
local running about, is definitely on the cards

[1] new to me - it's 20 years old
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: That was fun.

<XnsADC3B9DC1B2E9wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4871&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4871

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:16:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:16 UTC

"Krusty" <dontwantany@nowhere.invalid> wrote in

> 2k miles over 10 days, first tour on the GS & the first with a pillion
> for what must be 20 years. A bit of rain on the first day from
> Saint-Malo to La Rochelle, then clear blue skies & sunshine, even
> yesterday evening in Calais. We looped around via Biarritz, Andorra,
> Leucate, Cleremont-Ferrand, Paris, Amiens & Wissant. Fantastic roads
> in the Pyrenees as always, the run down from Soldeu to Perpignan was
> epic, even on a very heavily loaded bike[1]. The top-box weighed
> 23.7kg when we got home, due to the 6 bottles & 2 large boxes of
> duty-free wine we stuffed in it. Add in the dry-bag strapped on top &
> I'm astonished the rack survived.

it's not a KTM or Hayabusa :P

> The bike performed faultlessly, & I can kinda see why they're so
> popular for touring, but fuck me there are millions of them. I
> genuinely think over 80% of the non-scooters we saw were GS's. The
> seat's shit though, only made bearable by the Airhawk.

Yeah, unreliable pieces of shit apparently.

> The next trip will be in a motorhome with a DRZ400 or similar on the
> back, & potentially involve residency applications. The foothills of
> the Pyrenees near either Biarritz or Leucate is where I'd planned to
> retire to before Brexit fucked that dream up, but this trip confirmed
> it's worth the grief of trying to get annual visas.

Lovely areas, apart from the speed camera east of St Jean de Luz. My
favourite bit is in the Western Basque, the foothils south of Bilbao & St
Sebastian.

Re: That was fun.

<cff4bf71-be3d-4d93-8703-ede728138d4en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4883&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4883

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 02:16:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:16 UTC

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 4:57:06 PM UTC+1, Krusty wrote:
> 2k miles over 10 days, first tour on the GS & the first with a pillion
> for what must be 20 years. A bit of rain on the first day from
> Saint-Malo to La Rochelle, then clear blue skies & sunshine, even
> yesterday evening in Calais. We looped around via Biarritz, Andorra,

Nice, always been a fan of the Languedoc and that generic area close to the pairofknees.
Many a LISC rugby tour with oodles of wonderful hospitality, friendship, food, wine and fun, cemented that in my psyche.

Re: That was fun.

<XnsADC47B2B8216Awtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4884&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4884

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:06:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:06 UTC

Dave Brown <browniebrownz@googlemail.com> wrote in

> On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 4:57:06 PM UTC+1, Krusty wrote:
>> 2k miles over 10 days, first tour on the GS & the first with a
>> pillion for what must be 20 years. A bit of rain on the first day
>> from Saint-Malo to La Rochelle, then clear blue skies & sunshine,
>> even yesterday evening in Calais. We looped around via Biarritz,
>> Andorra,
>>

> Nice, always been a fan of the Languedoc and that generic area close
> to the pairofknees. Many a LISC rugby tour with oodles of wonderful
> hospitality, friendship, food, wine and fun, cemented that in my
> psyche.

it amuses me that the Catalans in the Pyr�n�es-Orientales stick 2 fingers
up to their Parisian masters, by being the only place in mainland Europe to
have an elite rugby league team

Re: That was fun.

<ist7h6FqaspU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4886&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4886

From: gb...@dropkegstheberkeleys.co.uk (Buzby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 15 Oct 2021 11:38:14 GMT
 by: Buzby - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:38 UTC

Krusty wrote:

> the run down from Soldeu to Perpignan was epic,

Great road - we had a house in Arles sur Tech in the next valley down
for 30 years - my favourite was turn right and head over the border
through Prats de Mollo, Ripol, Andorra (via a very twisty N250),
Perpignan, Le Boulou and home. A great ride.

Re: That was fun.

<fhrimgli9dba7rsikklctfan1bdc78h2mm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4888&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4888

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 13:05:10 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:05 UTC

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 02:16:33 -0700 (PDT), Dave Brown
<browniebrownz@googlemail.com> wrote:

>Nice, always been a fan of the Languedoc and that generic area close to the pairofknees.

+1

South of the Dordogne and west of the Rhone is my favourite (rather
large) bit of France
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: That was fun.

<rssimgd3grpddatetj1gpj06ss2n3m1n1g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4889&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4889

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 14:27:25 +0200
 by: Ace - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:27 UTC

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 13:05:10 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 02:16:33 -0700 (PDT), Dave Brown
><browniebrownz@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>Nice, always been a fan of the Languedoc and that generic area close to the pairofknees.
>
>+1
>
>South of the Dordogne and west of the Rhone is my favourite (rather
>large) bit of France

Brings back sone nenories...
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: That was fun.

<de0jmg9d9q0ilo4tcjbvgg24enelup51pi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4891&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4891

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 14:29:19 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 13:29 UTC

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:57:05 -0000 (UTC), "Krusty"
<dontwantany@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>2k miles over 10 days, first tour on the GS & the first with a pillion
>for what must be 20 years. A bit of rain on the first day from
>Saint-Malo to La Rochelle, then clear blue skies & sunshine, even
>yesterday evening in Calais. We looped around via Biarritz, Andorra,
>Leucate, Cleremont-Ferrand, Paris, Amiens & Wissant. Fantastic roads in
>the Pyrenees as always, the run down from Soldeu to Perpignan was epic,
>even on a very heavily loaded bike[1]. The top-box weighed 23.7kg when
>we got home, due to the 6 bottles & 2 large boxes of duty-free wine we
>stuffed in it. Add in the dry-bag strapped on top & I'm astonished the
>rack survived.
>
>The bike performed faultlessly, & I can kinda see why they're so
>popular for touring, but fuck me there are millions of them. I
>genuinely think over 80% of the non-scooters we saw were GS's. The
>seat's shit though, only made bearable by the Airhawk.
>
>The next trip will be in a motorhome with a DRZ400 or similar on the
>back, & potentially involve residency applications. The foothills of
>the Pyrenees near either Biarritz or Leucate is where I'd planned to
>retire to before Brexit fucked that dream up, but this trip confirmed
>it's worth the grief of trying to get annual visas.

Nice. We spent a week in a little flat in Laroque des Alberes, just
south of Perpignon. We'd happily go back.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: That was fun.

<skflba$g1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4902&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4902

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 15:56:41 -0700
 by: Turby - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:56 UTC

On 10/15/2021 5:05 AM, Champ wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 02:16:33 -0700 (PDT), Dave Brown
> <browniebrownz@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nice, always been a fan of the Languedoc and that generic area close to the pairofknees.
>
> +1
>
> South of the Dordogne and west of the Rhone is my favourite (rather
> large) bit of France

It seems Ace wrote a followup, but my machine thinks its been deleted or
has expired.

Really?

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: That was fun.

<it22b8Fo32oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4903&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4903

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 08:40:24 +0100
 by: Eddie - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 07:40 UTC

On 16/10/2021 23:56, Turby wrote:
> On 10/15/2021 5:05 AM, Champ wrote:
>>
>> South of the Dordogne and west of the Rhone is my favourite (rather
>> large) bit of France
>>
> It seems Ace wrote a followup, but my machine thinks its been deleted or
> has expired.
>
> Really?

I can still see it. It wasn't very exciting, but perhaps he was
embarrassed by the spelling mistake.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: That was fun.

<skgps9$udp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4904&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4904

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 10:20:08 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 09:20 UTC

On 17/10/2021 08:40, Eddie wrote:
> On 16/10/2021 23:56, Turby wrote:
>> On 10/15/2021 5:05 AM, Champ wrote:
>>>
>>> South of the Dordogne and west of the Rhone is my favourite (rather
>>> large) bit of France
>>>
>> It seems Ace wrote a followup, but my machine thinks its been deleted
>> or has expired.
>>
>> Really?
>
> I can still see it. It wasn't very exciting, but perhaps he was
> embarrassed by the spelling mistake.

Have you noticed how many he makes?

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: That was fun.

<711omg5h1co4l69kmfho1aqb35dj3icber@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4905&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4905

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 13:08:47 +0200
 by: Ace - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 11:08 UTC

On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 10:20:08 +0100, YTC#1
<bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:

>On 17/10/2021 08:40, Eddie wrote:

>>> It seems Ace wrote a followup, but my machine thinks its been deleted
>>> or has expired.
>>>
>>> Really?
>>
>> I can still see it. It wasn't very exciting, but perhaps he was
>> embarrassed by the spelling mistake.
>>

>Have you noticed how many he makes?

I do a lot of typing in the dark.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: That was fun.

<skh2qk$o9j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4906&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4906

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 12:52:51 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 11:52 UTC

On 17/10/2021 12:08, Ace wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 10:20:08 +0100, YTC#1
> <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I can still see it. It wasn't very exciting, but perhaps he was
>>> embarrassed by the spelling mistake.
>>>

>> Have you noticed how many he makes?
>
> I do a lot of typing in the dark.

Spooky

--
Bruce Porter
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, Pegaso 650 Trail (x2) one red one grey

Re: That was fun.

<msbomghq5c5r6asvo5el5h4thgfn7j0aab@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4907&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4907

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 16:14:50 +0200
 by: Ace - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 14:14 UTC

On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 12:52:51 +0100, YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 17/10/2021 12:08, Ace wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 10:20:08 +0100, YTC#1
>> <bdporter@ytc1-removespam.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Have you noticed how many he makes?
>>
>> I do a lot of typing in the dark.
>>
>Spooky

And it's a Swiss layout keyboard, mapped to UK English, so apart from
the Y and Z keys being switched, the exact spacing of keys isn't
_quite_ the same...

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: That was fun.

<XnsADC6B8C933CC5wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4908&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4908

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 17:09:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 17:09 UTC

Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 12:52:51 +0100, YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>On 17/10/2021 12:08, Ace wrote:

>>> I do a lot of typing in the dark.
>>>
>>Spooky
>
> And it's a Swiss layout keyboard, mapped to UK English, so apart from
> the Y and Z keys being switched, the exact spacing of keys isn't
> _quite_ the same...

I seem to have lost muscle memory for the "IBM" style clicky keyboard. I
found out on a visit to the office last week when using a shared desk
with a thin client rather than plugging my laptop into a docking bar. I
had to really whack the keys...

Re: That was fun.

<skjcn7$111$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4912&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4912

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:53:59 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 08:53 UTC

On 17/10/2021 18:09, wessie wrote:
> Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in
>
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 12:52:51 +0100, YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Spooky
>>
>> And it's a Swiss layout keyboard, mapped to UK English, so apart from
>> the Y and Z keys being switched, the exact spacing of keys isn't
>> _quite_ the same...
>>

> I seem to have lost muscle memory for the "IBM" style clicky keyboard. I
> found out on a visit to the office last week when using a shared desk
> with a thin client rather than plugging my laptop into a docking bar. I
> had to really whack the keys...

You do get used to keyboards, I keep trying new ones but none can match
my aeons old Mitsumi.

--
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: That was fun.

<35ed8f5b-0f99-4b76-b62c-ca01a39e1f69n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4913&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4913

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 02:49:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:49 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 9:54:01 AM UTC+1, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 17/10/2021 18:09, wessie wrote:
> > Ace <A...@ch.com> wrote in

> >> And it's a Swiss layout keyboard, mapped to UK English, so apart from
> >> the Y and Z keys being switched, the exact spacing of keys isn't
> >> _quite_ the same...
> >>

> > I seem to have lost muscle memory for the "IBM" style clicky keyboard. I
> > found out on a visit to the office last week when using a shared desk
> > with a thin client rather than plugging my laptop into a docking bar. I
> > had to really whack the keys...
> >
> You do get used to keyboards, I keep trying new ones but none can match
> my aeons old Mitsumi.

I remember visiting Chicony in Taiwan aeons ago. Their technical sales guys was a Korean by the name of Dong Kei Park.

A name that sounded like a tranquil place to take the kids for an afternoon out (if you had kids)....

Re: That was fun.

<skjjg1$rpr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4914&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4914

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:49:37 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:49 UTC

On 18/10/2021 10:49, Dave Brown wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 9:54:01 AM UTC+1, YTC#1 wrote:
>> On 17/10/2021 18:09, wessie wrote:
>>> Ace <A...@ch.com> wrote in

>>> I seem to have lost muscle memory for the "IBM" style clicky keyboard. I
>>> found out on a visit to the office last week when using a shared desk
>>> with a thin client rather than plugging my laptop into a docking bar. I
>>> had to really whack the keys...
>>>
>> You do get used to keyboards, I keep trying new ones but none can match
>> my aeons old Mitsumi.
>>

> I remember visiting Chicony in Taiwan aeons ago. Their technical sales guys was a Korean by the name of Dong Kei Park.
>
> A name that sounded like a tranquil place to take the kids for an afternoon out (if you had kids)....

:-)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: That was fun.

<skjsle$3r3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4916&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4916

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 06:26:04 -0700
 by: Turby - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 13:26 UTC

On 10/18/2021 1:53 AM, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 17/10/2021 18:09, wessie wrote:
>> Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in

>>> And it's a Swiss layout keyboard, mapped to UK English, so apart from
>>> the Y and Z keys being switched, the exact spacing of keys isn't
>>> _quite_ the same...
>>>

>> I seem to have lost muscle memory for the "IBM" style clicky keyboard. I
>> found out on a visit to the office last week when using a shared desk
>> with a thin client rather than plugging my laptop into a docking bar. I
>> had to really whack the keys...
>>
> You do get used to keyboards, I keep trying new ones but none can match
> my aeons old Mitsumi.

Many of my passwords are geometric shapes on the keyboard. 8 or so keys
in a triangle shape, or a box, etc. That works fine until you get to a
foreign place with strange keyboards where a $ is no longer an upper case 4.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: That was fun.

<c12a2b9d-93a4-40c8-acb6-e8fd2956a738n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4918&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4918

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 07:21:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:21 UTC

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 11:57:06 AM UTC-4, Krusty wrote:
> 2k miles over 10 days, first tour on the GS

Sound magical. I'm deeply jealous. I am getting obsessed with taking a trip of a reasonable magnitude as soon as possible.

I'm thinking about coast to coast on a Pan Euro. Got to find one first. And maybe I should go on a three-day trundle around the North East as a taster, first.

> & the first with a pillion
> for what must be 20 years.

Did I miss an announcement of a personal nature? Or was this post the announcement?

Re: That was fun.

<sn8rmglnhqu5q3gacjjehsgdoq1sa8vgcm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4922&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4922

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 18:43:09 +0200
References: <sk9k0h$q9f$1@dont-email.me> <cff4bf71-be3d-4d93-8703-ede728138d4en@googlegroups.com> <fhrimgli9dba7rsikklctfan1bdc78h2mm@4ax.com> <skflba$g1f$1@dont-email.me> <it22b8Fo32oU1@mid.individual.net> <skgps9$udp$1@dont-email.me> <711omg5h1co4l69kmfho1aqb35dj3icber@4ax.com> <skh2qk$o9j$1@dont-email.me> <msbomghq5c5r6asvo5el5h4thgfn7j0aab@4ax.com> <XnsADC6B8C933CC5wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252> <skjcn7$111$1@dont-email.me> <skjsle$3r3$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Ace - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:43 UTC

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 06:26:04 -0700, Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:

>Many of my passwords are geometric shapes on the keyboard. 8 or so keys
>in a triangle shape, or a box, etc. That works fine until you get to a
>foreign place with strange keyboards where a $ is no longer an upper case 4.

I have a couple of key mappings to switch between keyboard layouts,
e.g. Ctrl+Shift+2 brings up 'US international' = standard US mapping
but allowing accents to be added with the '^" keys.

Only useful on your own computer, of course, but otherwise I just
resort to looking at the actual; key markings.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: That was fun.

<skk8ae$6hh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4923&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4923

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:45:01 -0700
 by: Turby - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:45 UTC

On 10/18/2021 7:21 AM, Ben Blaney wrote:

> I'm thinking about coast to coast on a Pan Euro. Got to find one first. And maybe I should go on a three-day trundle around the North East as a taster, first.

Pan Euro. I had a ST1100. Loved it. Put 120,000 miles on it. But that
was back in the 90's. I got a ST1300 to replace it. A mistake. It seemed
like they had hired a bunch of newbie engineers who made a lot of
errors. I like the FJR a lot more.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: That was fun.

<it5mqqFf1omU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4924&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4924

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:48:26 +0100
 by: Eddie - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:48 UTC

On 18/10/2021 17:43, Ace wrote:

> Only useful on your own computer, of course, but otherwise I just
> resort to looking at the actual; key markings.

.... or not, apparently.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org