He's dead, Jim.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Newsgroup usage down

SubjectAuthor
* Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Newsgroup usage downJeff Gaines
|`* Re: Newsgroup usage downTim Lamb
| `- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Newsgroup usage downTim+
|+* Re: Newsgroup usage downalan_m
||+* Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
|||`* Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
||| `- Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
||`* Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|| `* Re: Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
||  `- Re: Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|+* Re: Newsgroup usage downVir Campestris
||`* Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|| `- Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
|`- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+- Re: Newsgroup usage downCursitor Doom
+* Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
|+- Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
|`- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Newsgroup usage downJim Stewart ...
|+* Re: Newsgroup usage downjon
||`- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Newsgroup usage downDave Plowman (News)
 `* Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
  `* Re: Newsgroup usage downChris Green
   +* Re: Newsgroup usage downJock
   |`* Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
   | `- Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
   `- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

Pages:12
Newsgroup usage down

<t4apou$vlt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50297&group=uk.d-i-y#50297

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Newsgroup usage down
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:01:47 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:01 UTC

In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to almost
nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
that and the news servers are still working.
So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of
them?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<xn0nh40362sf3l9002@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50302&group=uk.d-i-y#50302

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Newsgroup usage down
Date: 27 Apr 2022 07:51:38 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:51 UTC

My newsreader shows 5745 posts in this group for the last 30 days. It will
be close since alhough I clear out threads over a month old it measure by
the latest post in the thread.

It's the busiest group I take, next is the moderated legal group with 2786
then the Mac group with 1276.

Silversurfers is down to 284 from 10,000 when I first subscribed.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Here we go it's getting close, now it's just who wants it most.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<1580970328.672738809.643698.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50303&group=uk.d-i-y#50303

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Apr 2022 07:54:40 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:54 UTC

There will always be some random fluctuation up and down but without a
doubt, Usenet users are dying faster than they’re being replaced.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<jcsbatF6234U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50305&group=uk.d-i-y#50305

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:57:18 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:57 UTC

On 27/04/2022 08:54, Tim+ wrote:
> There will always be some random fluctuation up and down but without a
> doubt, Usenet users are dying faster than they’re being replaced.

There was a report in the past few days that social media usage figures
are down probably due to lockdowns being ended and fewer people home all
day.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<5vuh6htn7uth3meg3eipqmh1lfh3led03m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50309&group=uk.d-i-y#50309

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:16:57 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:16 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:01:47 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to almost
>nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
>that and the news servers are still working.
> So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of
>them?
> Brian

Happens every time we have a spell of fine weather, Brian.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<op.1k9yz1qnbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50310&group=uk.d-i-y#50310

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:25:03 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:25 UTC

Brian Gaff (Sofa) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
> almost
> nothing.

I haven't seen it as dramatic as that, but certainly the volume has
dropped quite a bit.

> From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
> that and the news servers are still working.

I have seen in just one other group, some posts I have not seen the
original
post, just some replys and they aren't replys which have that group added.

> So has everyone found some new place

No evidence of that.

> or have they just grown tired of them?

One of the most prolific posters in that other group did just that.

Since he disappeared just after he said he had got covid, even
tho full vaccinated, I did wonder if the virus had got him but it
turned out that he did tell someone in another group that he
just got sick of all the argument.

Another, the second most prolific poster apart from that fool
the Peeler in that group also just vanished and from memory
he wasn't vaccinated, but it turned out that he had just broken
his leg and was in rehab for a couple of weeks and has returned
and still posts now.

In this group, the one who used to post using the nick of TabbyPurr
did vanish for quite a while but is now back again using Animal instead.

That vegan bigot just disappeared. So did Harry.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<op.1k9y6l0gbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50312&group=uk.d-i-y#50312

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:28:59 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:28 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
> Brian Gaff (Sofa) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
>> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
>> almost
>> nothing.
>
> I haven't seen it as dramatic as that, but certainly the volume has
> dropped quite a bit.
>
>> From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
>> that and the news servers are still working.
>
> I have seen in just one other group, some posts I have not seen the
> original
> post, just some replys and they aren't replys which have that group
> added.
>
>> So has everyone found some new place
>
> No evidence of that.
>
>> or have they just grown tired of them?
>
> One of the most prolific posters in that other group did just that.
>
> Since he disappeared just after he said he had got covid, even
> tho full vaccinated, I did wonder if the virus had got him but it
> turned out that he did tell someone in another group that he
> just got sick of all the argument.
>
> Another, the second most prolific poster apart from that fool
> the Peeler in that group also just vanished and from memory
> he wasn't vaccinated, but it turned out that he had just broken
> his leg and was in rehab for a couple of weeks and has returned
> and still posts now.
>
> In this group, the one who used to post using the nick of TabbyPurr
> did vanish for quite a while but is now back again using Animal instead.
>
> That vegan bigot just disappeared. So did Harry.

And you post a lot less than you used to, presumably because
there are fewer posts that interest you recently. Pamela too.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<kRGiESNxaQaiFwnr@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50319&group=uk.d-i-y#50319

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:02:41 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:02 UTC

In message <xn0nh40362sf3l9002@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>My newsreader shows 5745 posts in this group for the last 30 days. It
>will be close since alhough I clear out threads over a month old it
>measure by the latest post in the thread.
>
>It's the busiest group I take, next is the moderated legal group with
>2786 then the Mac group with 1276.
>
>Silversurfers is down to 284 from 10,000 when I first subscribed.
>

>On 27/04/2022 in message <t4apou$vlt$1@dont-email.me> Brian Gaff (Sofa)
>wrote:
>
>>In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
>>almost nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or
>>anything like that and the news servers are still working.
>>So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of
>>them?
>>Brian

Folk venturing out after Covid rules relaxation?

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<op.1k92j2ldbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50338&group=uk.d-i-y#50338

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:41:52 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:41 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote
> Tim+ wrote

>> There will always be some random fluctuation up and down but without a
>> doubt, Usenet users are dying faster than they’re being replaced.

> There was a report in the past few days that social media usage figures
> are down probably due to lockdowns being ended and fewer people home all
> day.

But this group is well down on what it used to be pre covid in the brexit
days

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4b3mn$6f7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50343&group=uk.d-i-y#50343

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim Stewart ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:51:18 +0100
 by: Jim Stewart ... - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:51 UTC

On 27/04/2022 08:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to almost
> nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
> that and the news servers are still working.
> So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of
> them?
> Brian

who is brian ?

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4b4os$bha$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50348&group=uk.d-i-y#50348

From: jon...@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:09:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:09 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:51:18 +0100, Jim Stewart ... wrote:

> On 27/04/2022 08:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
>> almost nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or
>> anything like that and the news servers are still working.
>> So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired
>> of
>> them?
>> Brian
>>
> who is brian ?

A well known camper.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<59dfb6415bdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50406&group=uk.d-i-y#50406

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:05:27 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:05 UTC

In article <t4apou$vlt$1@dont-email.me>,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to almost
> nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
> that and the news servers are still working.
> So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of
> them?

Most now use FaceBook groups etc specifically for their interests. Most
are moderated to prevent the vast amount of OT stuff we get on here. And,
of course, easier to post pics etc relevant to the subject.

It's much the same with other basically text based forums.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4cahr$o6v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50440&group=uk.d-i-y#50440

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 21:54:18 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 20:54 UTC

On 27/04/2022 08:54, Tim+ wrote:
> There will always be some random fluctuation up and down but without a
> doubt, Usenet users are dying faster than they’re being replaced.

I'll go with that.

A couple of the groups I follow have had no posts for months.

Andy

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4dd9i$214$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50459&group=uk.d-i-y#50459

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:47:10 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:47 UTC

Not sure. From the previous reply, it rather looks like older threads have
suddenly awoken again but as has been said also, as we tend to clear out the
old stuff, often any new posts make little sense due to the very long quotes
or missing original posts. I have to say I tend to judge on new thread names
and keep things in the threads and so distributed over a lot of old threads,
it could well be the number of posts mentioned, but it used to be fewer
threads and new ones, not old ones with whiskers!

"Tim Lamb" <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <xn0nh40362sf3l9002@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
> <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>My newsreader shows 5745 posts in this group for the last 30 days. It will
>>be close since alhough I clear out threads over a month old it measure by
>>the latest post in the thread.
>>
>>It's the busiest group I take, next is the moderated legal group with 2786
>>then the Mac group with 1276.
>>
>>Silversurfers is down to 284 from 10,000 when I first subscribed.
>>

>>On 27/04/2022 in message <t4apou$vlt$1@dont-email.me> Brian Gaff (Sofa)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
>>>almost nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or
>>>anything like that and the news servers are still working.
>>>So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of
>>>them?
>>>Brian
>
> Folk venturing out after Covid rules relaxation?
>
> --
> Tim Lamb

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4ddeh$2ss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50460&group=uk.d-i-y#50460

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:49:49 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:49 UTC

Yes true, maybe we need an advertising campaign to alert people it exists.
Trouble is a lot of folk use to use Outlook to read the messages, modern
versions of Outlook dropped support, leaving bespoke readers, google and
naff sites like Home Owners Club. Thunderbird still supports them of course,
but I imagine that is a niche product now as well.

"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> There will always be some random fluctuation up and down but without a
> doubt, Usenet users are dying faster than they're being replaced.
>
> Tim
>
> Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
>> almost
>> nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
>> that and the news servers are still working.
>> So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of
>> them?
>> Brian
>>

> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4ddig$3r5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50461&group=uk.d-i-y#50461

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage down
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:51:56 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:51 UTC

If the world famous billionaire who bought Twitter the other day, also
bought You tube and Facebook, would he call it youtwitface?

"alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 27/04/2022 08:54, Tim+ wrote:
>> There will always be some random fluctuation up and down but without a
>> doubt, Usenet users are dying faster than they're being replaced.
>>

> There was a report in the past few days that social media usage figures
> are down probably due to lockdowns being ended and fewer people home all
> day.
>

> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4ddo9$52i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50462&group=uk.d-i-y#50462

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:55:01 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:55 UTC

Yes but I filtered most of the Brexit posts.
I do tend to feel that the problem is that DIY is now almost as expensive
as getting somebody in to do it and the sheds never seem to stock stuff in
the low quantities we might want, then there is the age thing previously
mentioned and the increased complexity of doing your own electrical wiring
and plumbing of course if you may need to sell the property.

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote
> Tim+ wrote

>> There will always be some random fluctuation up and down but without a
>> doubt, Usenet users are dying faster than they're being replaced.

> There was a report in the past few days that social media usage figures
> are down probably due to lockdowns being ended and fewer people home all
> day.

But this group is well down on what it used to be pre covid in the brexit
days

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4ddqs$5gt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50463&group=uk.d-i-y#50463

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:56:24 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:56 UTC

Also of course the lack of easy to use clients in mainstream software is
another problem as well as the sure of servers run by isps.

"Vir Campestris" <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 27/04/2022 08:54, Tim+ wrote:
>> There will always be some random fluctuation up and down but without a
>> doubt, Usenet users are dying faster than they're being replaced.
>
> I'll go with that.
>
> A couple of the groups I follow have had no posts for months.
>
> Andy

Re: Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage down

<op.1lbpl5cgbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50464&group=uk.d-i-y#50464

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage down
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:57:31 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:57 UTC

Brian Gaff (Sofa) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> If the world famous billionaire who bought Twitter the other day, also
> bought You tube and Facebook, would he call it youtwitface?

I'd have you publicly flogged for that if you hadn't so obviously
enjoyed that the last time, boy.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4ddvt$6a0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50465&group=uk.d-i-y#50465

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:59:06 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:59 UTC

I have to say that nobody is forcing folk to read posts by those who they
consider trolls idiots or time wasters, heck, I've been called worse myself.
you develop a thick skin on these groups.
grin.

> Brian Gaff (Sofa) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
>> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
>> almost
>> nothing.
>
> I haven't seen it as dramatic as that, but certainly the volume has
> dropped quite a bit.
>
>> From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
>> that and the news servers are still working.
>
> I have seen in just one other group, some posts I have not seen the
> original
> post, just some replys and they aren't replys which have that group added.
>
>> So has everyone found some new place
>
> No evidence of that.
>
>> or have they just grown tired of them?
>
> One of the most prolific posters in that other group did just that.
>
> Since he disappeared just after he said he had got covid, even
> tho full vaccinated, I did wonder if the virus had got him but it
> turned out that he did tell someone in another group that he
> just got sick of all the argument.
>
> Another, the second most prolific poster apart from that fool
> the Peeler in that group also just vanished and from memory
> he wasn't vaccinated, but it turned out that he had just broken
> his leg and was in rehab for a couple of weeks and has returned
> and still posts now.
>
> In this group, the one who used to post using the nick of TabbyPurr
> did vanish for quite a while but is now back again using Animal instead.
>
> That vegan bigot just disappeared. So did Harry.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4de3c$78d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50466&group=uk.d-i-y#50466

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:00:56 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:00 UTC

Brian is Brian, but Brian is not exclusively this Brian, it could be any
Brian.

"Jim Stewart ..." <kinvig.netta@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On 27/04/2022 08:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
>> almost
>> nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
>> that and the news servers are still working.
>> So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of
>> them?
>> Brian
>>
> who is brian ?

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4de64$7sp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50467&group=uk.d-i-y#50467

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:02:24 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:02 UTC

Sorry don't get that one. Not sure as a blindie I'd want to chance my hand
at camping. I might never be seen again!

"jon" <jon@nospam.cn> wrote in message news:t4b4os$bha$1@dont-email.me...
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:51:18 +0100, Jim Stewart ... wrote:
>
>> On 27/04/2022 08:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>>> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
>>> almost nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or
>>> anything like that and the news servers are still working.
>>> So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired
>>> of
>>> them?
>>> Brian
>>>
>> who is brian ?
>
> A well known camper.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4dea1$8me$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50468&group=uk.d-i-y#50468

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:04:29 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:04 UTC

Now this is where I find Usenet better, being blind means I have no use for
pictures, nor do I like the every changing layout of forums and find
Facebook very hard to use productively, as it has to be done on line. Text
is king for the blind user.

"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <t4apou$vlt$1@dont-email.me>,
> Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to
>> almost
>> nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like
>> that and the news servers are still working.
>> So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of
>> them?
>
> Most now use FaceBook groups etc specifically for their interests. Most
> are moderated to prevent the vast amount of OT stuff we get on here. And,
> of course, easier to post pics etc relevant to the subject.
>
> It's much the same with other basically text based forums.
>
> --
> *My designated driver drove me to drink
>
> Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<op.1lbry2msbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50470&group=uk.d-i-y#50470

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:48:28 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:48 UTC

Brian Gaff (Sofa) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> Yes but I filtered most of the Brexit posts.

I didn't and still saw a big drop in the
number of posts in this group recently.

> I do tend to feel that the problem is that DIY is now almost as
> expensive
> as getting somebody in to do it

That is bullshit and this group never had a lot of DIY
posts and still has as many as it ever used to have.

> and the sheds never seem to stock stuff in
> the low quantities we might want,

But you can always get low quantitys online,
usually with next day delivery if you need that.

> then there is the age thing previously
> mentioned

We still see about the same number of diy posts.

> and the increased complexity of doing your own electrical wiring

That's bullshit. In many ways it is much easier now that
systems like the Philips Hue system don't need any wired
switches at all, just power looped thru the devices and
low voltage outside.

> and plumbing

That's bullshit too now that there isn't just galvanised pipe
and copper pipe with yorkshire fittings. Glued plastic is
vastly easier to do now. Same with drain plumbing and
gutter plumbing.

> of course if you may need to sell the property.

That makes no difference.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<op.1lbr02pvbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50472&group=uk.d-i-y#50472

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:49:40 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:49 UTC

Brian Gaff (Sofa) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> Also of course the lack of easy to use clients in mainstream software is
> another problem as well as the sure of servers run by isps.

Google groups fixed that and some of the regulars use nothing else.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Newsgroup usage down