Conscious is when you are aware of something and conscience is when you wish you weren't.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Newsgroup usage down

SubjectAuthor
* Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Newsgroup usage downJeff Gaines
|`* Re: Newsgroup usage downTim Lamb
| `- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Newsgroup usage downTim+
|+* Re: Newsgroup usage downalan_m
||+* Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
|||`* Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
||| `- Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
||`* Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|| `* Re: Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
||  `- Re: Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|+* Re: Newsgroup usage downVir Campestris
||`* Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|| `- Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
|`- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+- Re: Newsgroup usage downCursitor Doom
+* Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
|+- Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
|`- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Newsgroup usage downJim Stewart ...
|+* Re: Newsgroup usage downjon
||`- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Newsgroup usage downDave Plowman (News)
 `* Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
  `* Re: Newsgroup usage downChris Green
   +* Re: Newsgroup usage downJock
   |`* Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
   | `- Re: Newsgroup usage downRod Speed
   `- Re: Newsgroup usage downBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

Pages:12
Re: Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4dh9h$tqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50474&group=uk.d-i-y#50474

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Bad joke warning was..Re: Newsgroup usage down
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:55:25 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:55 UTC

What can I say, guilty as charged, one needs a hobby for old age.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff (Sofa) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>
>> If the world famous billionaire who bought Twitter the other day, also
>> bought You tube and Facebook, would he call it youtwitface?
>
> I'd have you publicly flogged for that if you hadn't so obviously
> enjoyed that the last time, boy.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<g0upji-c68g.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50476&group=uk.d-i-y#50476

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Newsgroup usage down
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:57:36 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:57 UTC

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Now this is where I find Usenet better, being blind means I have no use for
> pictures, nor do I like the every changing layout of forums and find
> Facebook very hard to use productively, as it has to be done on line. Text
> is king for the blind user.

Text is king for communication! :-)

I know "a picture is worth a thousand words" but it really isn't true.
A text explanation of how to fix a computer problem is nearly always
better than just a few screen grabs IMHO. SImilarly for user manuals
and such. User manuals with a series of pictures and virtually no text
explanation (avoids multi-language translation I guess) are rarely
much use. Language (i.e. words) is an essential part of being human,
it's how we commnicate.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<op.1lbx68gcc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50487&group=uk.d-i-y#50487

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 20:02:58 +1000
 by: Jock - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:02 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:57:36 +1000, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> Now this is where I find Usenet better, being blind means I have no use
>> for
>> pictures, nor do I like the every changing layout of forums and find
>> Facebook very hard to use productively, as it has to be done on line.
>> Text
>> is king for the blind user.
>>
> Text is king for communication! :-)

> I know "a picture is worth a thousand words" but it really isn't true.

Bullshit.

> A text explanation of how to fix a computer problem is nearly always
> better than just a few screen grabs IMHO.

But some pics are FAR better with most diy or even repair
problems and vastly better with an unidentified item.

> SImilarly for user manuals
> and such. User manuals with a series of pictures and virtually no text
> explanation (avoids multi-language translation I guess) are rarely
> much use.

But ones with no pics at all are mostly useless.

> Language (i.e. words) is an essential partof being human, it's how we
> commnicate.

True in spades of decent pictures and videos.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4g5p8$lo6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50607&group=uk.d-i-y#50607

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 08:57:24 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 07:57 UTC

Yes I despaired at the info given out about how to do a PCR Covid test by
the NHS. If I hear as you can see here, or this way up so the reagent does
not spill out I'll scream. I know its a sighted world but the ability to
voice what you are actually doing be part of the process. So many videos on
workouts and yoga and even in person classes fall into this trap with the
usual outcome that blind people feel like second class citizens.

"Chris Green" <cl@isbd.net> wrote in message
> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> Now this is where I find Usenet better, being blind means I have no use
>> for
>> pictures, nor do I like the every changing layout of forums and find
>> Facebook very hard to use productively, as it has to be done on line.
>> Text
>> is king for the blind user.
>>
> Text is king for communication! :-)
>
> I know "a picture is worth a thousand words" but it really isn't true.
> A text explanation of how to fix a computer problem is nearly always
> better than just a few screen grabs IMHO. SImilarly for user manuals
> and such. User manuals with a series of pictures and virtually no text
> explanation (avoids multi-language translation I guess) are rarely
> much use. Language (i.e. words) is an essential part of being human,
> it's how we commnicate.
>
> --
> Chris Green
> �

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<t4g601$n6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50609&group=uk.d-i-y#50609

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:00:26 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 08:00 UTC

And discriminates against blind people.
Its really not hard to do both in the majority of cases these days, since
there are really good translation software solutions these days.

"Jock" <kdj@gmail.com> wrote in message news:op.1lbx68gcc5duzs@pvr2.lan...
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:57:36 +1000, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Now this is where I find Usenet better, being blind means I have no use
>>> for
>>> pictures, nor do I like the every changing layout of forums and find
>>> Facebook very hard to use productively, as it has to be done on line.
>>> Text
>>> is king for the blind user.
>>>
>> Text is king for communication! :-)
>
>> I know "a picture is worth a thousand words" but it really isn't true.
>
> Bullshit.
>
>> A text explanation of how to fix a computer problem is nearly always
>> better than just a few screen grabs IMHO.
>
> But some pics are FAR better with most diy or even repair
> problems and vastly better with an unidentified item.
>
>> SImilarly for user manuals
>> and such. User manuals with a series of pictures and virtually no text
>> explanation (avoids multi-language translation I guess) are rarely
>> much use.
>
> But ones with no pics at all are mostly useless.
>
>> Language (i.e. words) is an essential partof being human, it's how we
>> commnicate.
>
> True in spades of decent pictures and videos.

Re: Newsgroup usage down

<op.1ldqtbynbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50622&group=uk.d-i-y#50622

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:18:37 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:18 UTC

Brian Gaff (Sofa) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> And discriminates against blind people.

That's life.

> Its really not hard to do both in the majority of cases these days,
> since there are really good translation software solutions these days.

So why don't you blind people use it ?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Newsgroup usage down