Even God lends a hand to honest boldness. -- Menander

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: What oil?

SubjectAuthor
* What oil?wessie
+* What oil?Turby
|+- What oil?wessie
|+* What oil?wessie
||`* What oil?Turby
|| `* What oil?Ace
||  +* What oil?Ace
||  |`* What oil?Mike Fleming
||  | `- What oil?ChrisND @UKRM
||  `* What oil?Turby
||   `* What oil?WUN
||    `- What oil?Turby
|+- What oil?Krusty
|+* What oil?Paul Carmichael
||+- What oil?geoffC
||`* What oil?Ben Blaney
|| `- What oil?Stephen Packer
|`* What oil?Stephen Packer
| +- What oil?Paul Carmichael
| `- What oil?sweller
+- What oil?crn
+* What oil?Champ
|+* What oil?Boots
||`- What oil?Pipl
|`* What oil?Ace
| `* What oil?wessie
|  `* What oil?Mike Fleming
|   `- What oil?wessie
+* What oil?Ace
|+- What oil?Paul Carmichael
|`* What oil?wessie
| +- What oil?crn
| `- What oil?Ace
+- What oil?ogden
+* What oil?Dave Brown
|`* What oil?Paul Carmichael
| `* What oil?Dave Brown
|  +* What oil?siwilson
|  |`* What oil?Dave Brown
|  | `- What oil?Ace
|  `* What oil?Andy Burns
|   +- What oil?Paul Carmichael
|   `* What oil?Dave Brown
|    `- What oil?Ace
+* What oil?sweller
|+- What oil?ChrisND @UKRM
|`* What oil?AJH
| `* What oil?Paul Carmichael
|  +* What oil?ogden
|  |`- What oil?Paul Carmichael
|  `* What oil?AJH
|   +* What oil?Paul Carmichael
|   |`- What oil?Champ
|   `- What oil?Ace
+* What oil?Tim
|`- What oil?YTC#1
+- What oil?Salad Dodger
+- What oil?geoffC
`- What oil?YTC#1

Pages:123
Re: What oil?

<itg54bFf8fvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4994&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4994

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: What oil?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:53:47 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:53 UTC

On 22/10/2021 13:43, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 22/10/2021 10:53, Ace wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:51:33 +0200, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Well yes, there's hundreds[1] of ways to cook potatoes,
>>
>> [1] 500, according to madame Gorbachev.
>
> So do you cook 10 different ways for every lover, then leave them?
heh

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: What oil?

<itg5ffFfb26U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4995&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4995

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:59:43 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:59 UTC

On 22/10/2021 15:25, sweller wrote:
> wessie wrote:
>
>> So, tell me, what is the best oil to use in my Tefal deep fryer to
>> make good chips from my maris piper spuds?
>
> Lard [1]
>

> [1] Works best in a proper [2] chip pan
> [2] i.e. dangerous

And a top tip for reheating an excess[1] chips from the chip shop the
next day is to NOT throw the paper away that they came in.
Keep it all with the spare[2] chips left inside complete with salt,
vinegar etc
The use a microwave to reheat for a couple of minutes.
Somehow, and against all reason, this stops the chips drying out as they
normally would and gives you something almost exactly like you had the
previous day![3]

[1] unlikely I know
[2] yes, really unlikely
[3] yes I know, but it does work (even if they were originally someone
else's and you ate all yours)
HTH

The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: What oil?

<itg5haFf942U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4996&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4996

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (AJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:00:42 +0100
 by: AJH - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:00 UTC

On 22/10/2021 15:25, sweller wrote:
> wessie wrote:
>
>> So, tell me, what is the best oil to use in my Tefal deep fryer to
>> make good chips from my maris piper spuds?
>
> Lard [1]
>

> [1] Works best in a proper [2] chip pan
> [2] i.e. dangerous

+1

Pig fat

Olive oil best splashed on food straight from the bottle, its goodness
is lost in cooking

Re: What oil?

<pan$4b321$7ac02dab$907ff69a$485054ee@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4997&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4997

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 22 Oct 2021 16:13:35 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:13 UTC

El Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:00:42 +0100, AJH escribió:

> Olive oil best splashed on food straight from the bottle, its goodness
> is lost in cooking

I have sought and never found any evidence of that.

Every restaurant I know uses EV olive oil for cooking. (The olive
cooperative is at the bottom of the town square and they sell direct).

Maybe it's because half of their clients grow olives?

I tend to use EV for cooking where the oil gets absorbed by the food and
sunflower oil in the deep jobby for chips etc.

Good quality EV olive oil tastes fucking gorgeous. And it either enhances
or degrades the tase of food - depends on your preference.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: What oil?

<XnsADCBB3A118E17wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5000&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5000

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:39:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:39 UTC

Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in news:nbr4ng5kdhj9g58dgvago7d042d252u4pj@4ax.com:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 06:32:15 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>I've moved on and now have an air fryer.
>>
>>No idea how it works, but makes brilliant chips [1]
>>
>>[1] er, from frozen bought chips
>
> We were gifted one recently by some friends returning to the UK. Tried
> it for (frozen) chips a few times, but it's nowhere near as good. Not
> properly crisp like deep-fried ones, more like what you get with oven
> chips. We eat chips maybe three or four times a month, so I'm not
> concerned about our fat intake, and the air fryer takes up a lot more
> space than the oil one, so I can't really be arsed to get it out.

yes, I have one as well, also Tefal. Rubbish. You can't beat proper, deep
fried chips made from fresh spuds.

Re: What oil?

<6b1e243b-136b-49c2-8147-3985fecd68ean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5001&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5001

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:40:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:40 UTC

Paul Carmichael wrote:
> Every restaurant I know uses EV olive oil for cooking. (The olive
> cooperative is at the bottom of the town square and they sell direct).
>
> Maybe it's because half of their clients grow olives?
>
> I tend to use EV for cooking where the oil gets absorbed by the food and
> sunflower oil in the deep jobby for chips etc.
>
> Good quality EV olive oil tastes fucking gorgeous. And it either enhances
> or degrades the tase of food - depends on your preference.

I have some fucking amazing ultra-fairtrade, organic, Palestinian olive oil [1] that I use for dips and dressings, and I loathe olives and don't particularly like olive oil.

I cannot for one moment imagine wasting it on deep frying. Or wanting fried stuff to taste of it, for that matter. Neutral oil or animal fat, sure. Olive oil? Get back in the sea.

Re: What oil?

<XnsADCBB70748DA2wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5002&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5002

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:59:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:59 UTC

Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in news:etq4ngpb6r754ia7h7gld5m861ambd0132@4ax.com:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 20:58:31 -0000 (UTC), wessie
> <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>>As Champ was saying it's quiet. let's have an oil thread.
>>
>>So, tell me, what is the best oil to use in my Tefal deep fryer to make
>>good chips from my maris piper spuds?
>

> Groundnut oil. High smoke point, very neutral flavour. I use it for
> nearly everything, using olive oil[1] only when I want top add
> flavour.

I kepp meaning to try that as I remember Robert Carrier banging on about it
in the early days of TV chefs

Just checked, Sainsbury's have it at double the price of generic veg oil,
which probably explains why I have not tried it. I'll have a look in Lidl &
Aldi!

Re: What oil?

<itgcsrFgnjrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5006&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5006

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (AJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:06:18 +0100
 by: AJH - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:06 UTC

On 22/10/2021 17:13, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:00:42 +0100, AJH escribió:
>
>> Olive oil best splashed on food straight from the bottle, its goodness
>> is lost in cooking
>

> I have sought and never found any evidence of that.
>
> Every restaurant I know uses EV olive oil for cooking. (The olive
> cooperative is at the bottom of the town square and they sell direct).

I don't think cooking with it is bad, it's just a waste. You will lose
some vitamins when it gets hot and that is probably true of other oils
but then I wouldn't put osr on my salad.

BTW I don't make chips at all but just remember chips cooked in lard
were the best when my mother made them and that was in an open saucepan
with a chip basket.

Re: What oil?

<pan$6f175$65eb9f89$e59dacb7$fb169956@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5010&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5010

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 22 Oct 2021 18:40:26 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:40 UTC

El Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:06:18 +0100, AJH escribió:

> On 22/10/2021 17:13, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> El Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:00:42 +0100, AJH escribió:
>>
>>> Olive oil best splashed on food straight from the bottle, its
>>> goodness is lost in cooking
>>

>> I have sought and never found any evidence of that.
>>
>> Every restaurant I know uses EV olive oil for cooking. (The olive
>> cooperative is at the bottom of the town square and they sell direct).
>
> I don't think cooking with it is bad, it's just a waste. You will lose
> some vitamins when it gets hot

I would be genuinely interested in seeing some data to confirm this.

> BTW I don't make chips at all but just remember chips cooked in lard
> were the best when my mother made them and that was in an open saucepan
> with a chip basket.

<yorkshiremen>

You had a basket???

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: What oil?

<pan$ca175$b7bd2e24$3fe88218$ac8d516b@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5011&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5011

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 22 Oct 2021 18:50:04 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:50 UTC

El Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:40:32 -0700, ogden escribió:

> Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> Every restaurant I know uses EV olive oil for cooking. (The olive
>> cooperative is at the bottom of the town square and they sell direct).
>>
>> Maybe it's because half of their clients grow olives?
>>
>> I tend to use EV for cooking where the oil gets absorbed by the food
>> and sunflower oil in the deep jobby for chips etc.
>>
>> Good quality EV olive oil tastes fucking gorgeous. And it either
>> enhances or degrades the tase of food - depends on your preference.
>
> I have some fucking amazing ultra-fairtrade, organic, Palestinian olive
> oil [1] that I use for dips and dressings, and I loathe olives and don't
> particularly like olive oil.
>
> I cannot for one moment imagine wasting it on deep frying. Or wanting
> fried stuff to taste of it, for that matter. Neutral oil or animal fat,
> sure. Olive oil? Get back in the sea.

This is the stuff I cook with:

https://tienda.dcoop.es/detalle/ficha-38

4,50€ / litre.

I've been known to sample good stuff from a glass in the pub. Unfiltered
and usually picante. Like a fine wine. Only better.

The smell of olive oil is in the air around here (from the presses). Not
right now, as they are currently harvesting the table olives (green).

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: What oil?

<88061e5e-97ba-472f-9ecb-fc8a6194b043n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5014&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5014

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 14:25:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: nigel.ea...@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 21:25 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 4:08:13 PM UTC+1, Turby wrote:
> On 10/22/2021 2:51 AM, Ace wrote:

> >> I don't usually deep fry.
> >
> > Good to see you're keeping up UKRM traditions, in this case
> > recommending what you've got even when someone's asking about a
> > completely different requirement.
> >
> >> I put a shallow layer of oil in a pan, heat it
> >> up, put the taters in, and with a lid on, I shake the pan. I make sure
> >> it gets the oil over everything, and by shaking it regularly, gets
> >> everything cooked all over consistently.
> >
> > Well yes, there's hundreds[1] of ways to cook potatoes, but while your
> > recipe might be nice, the resulting cooked potato pieces are not
> > chips. Not even close.
> >
> An interesting comment, considering you've never seen or tasted them.
> Come on over and I'll make some for you. I think you'd be surprised.

It has suddenly occurred to me that you are probably using "chips" in the USA-ian
sense. That's not what we mean by "chips".

--
WUN

Re: What oil?

<skvjso$cqf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5015&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5015

From: crn...@nospam.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 00:10:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: crn...@nospam.com - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 00:10 UTC

wessie <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
> Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in news:etq4ngpb6r754ia7h7gld5m861ambd0132@4ax.com:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 20:58:31 -0000 (UTC), wessie
>> <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
>>
>>>As Champ was saying it's quiet. let's have an oil thread.
>>>
>>>So, tell me, what is the best oil to use in my Tefal deep fryer to make
>>>good chips from my maris piper spuds?
>>

>> Groundnut oil. High smoke point, very neutral flavour. I use it for
>> nearly everything, using olive oil[1] only when I want top add
>> flavour.
>>

> I kepp meaning to try that as I remember Robert Carrier banging on about it
> in the early days of TV chefs
>
> Just checked, Sainsbury's have it at double the price of generic veg oil,
> which probably explains why I have not tried it. I'll have a look in Lidl &
> Aldi!

I use Lidl frying oil which comes in 2 1/2 litre bottles.
Works just fine with nice crispy chips at 180 C in a professionak grade
deep fat fryer from my caterering days many moons ago.

Many fryers do not get hot enough so check your temperature.

--
http://www.netunix.com/

Re: What oil?

<skvu74$l64$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5016&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5016

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 20:06:12 -0700
 by: Turby - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 03:06 UTC

On 10/22/2021 2:25 PM, WUN wrote:
> On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 4:08:13 PM UTC+1, Turby wrote:

>>> Good to see you're keeping up UKRM traditions, in this case
>>> recommending what you've got even when someone's asking about a
>>> completely different requirement.

>>> Well yes, there's hundreds[1] of ways to cook potatoes, but while your
>>> recipe might be nice, the resulting cooked potato pieces are not
>>> chips. Not even close.
>>>
>> An interesting comment, considering you've never seen or tasted them.
>> Come on over and I'll make some for you. I think you'd be surprised.
>
> It has suddenly occurred to me that you are probably using "chips" in the USA-ian
> sense. That's not what we mean by "chips".

Nah, french fries.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: What oil?

<ktq7ng9dcuioa7dneffkbjhp2pd1u2g2bg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5022&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5022

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:03:54 +0200
 by: Ace - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:03 UTC

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:59:34 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in news:etq4ngpb6r754ia7h7gld5m861ambd0132@4ax.com:

>> Groundnut oil.

>Just checked, Sainsbury's have it at double the price of generic veg oil,
>which probably explains why I have not tried it. I'll have a look in Lidl &
>Aldi!

Yeah, it's usually about double the cheapest 'vegetable' oil, but only
a fraction of the price of decent EV olive oil, so meh.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: What oil?

<sl0skf$ig6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5026&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5026

From: nob...@home.co.uk (Tim)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:45:19 +0100
 by: Tim - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:45 UTC

On 21/10/2021 21:58, wessie wrote:
> As Champ was saying it's quiet. let's have an oil thread.
>
> So, tell me, what is the best oil to use in my Tefal deep fryer to make
> good chips from my maris piper spuds?

Lard.

Re: What oil?

<kp7dng14112hieg6n0ur0i877ipsem9ip2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5056&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5056

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 13:14:16 +0100
 by: Champ - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 12:14 UTC

On 22 Oct 2021 18:40:26 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I have sought and never found any evidence of that.

>> I don't think cooking with it is bad, it's just a waste. You will lose
>> some vitamins when it gets hot

>I would be genuinely interested in seeing some data to confirm this.

There's a gazilion hits on the web. This one seems to contain all the
relevant info, and seems (to me) to be from a trustworthy source:
https://www.medicaldaily.com/extra-virgin-olive-oil-loses-health-benefits-when-heated-so-save-your-money-247237
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: What oil?

<q2ddngtreb7nh4l94mkq7gugl1pggph900@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5059&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5059

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:51:23 +0200
 by: Ace - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 13:51 UTC

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:06:18 +0100, AJH <news@loampitsfarm.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 22/10/2021 17:13, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> El Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:00:42 +0100, AJH escribió:
>>
>>> Olive oil best splashed on food straight from the bottle, its goodness
>>> is lost in cooking
>>

>> I have sought and never found any evidence of that.
>>
>> Every restaurant I know uses EV olive oil for cooking. (The olive
>> cooperative is at the bottom of the town square and they sell direct).

I'm thinking that it's maybe thos but that Paul is questioning.
Certainly, IME, the flavour from EV Olive Oil is preserved through the
cooking process. Even deep fried chips are distinctly flavoured, as
found in Spain and Greece, among others.

When I'm pan-frying meat I'll nearly always use some combination of
butter and olive oil; steak is butter only, chicken breasts around
50/50, and in some dishes when pre-frying the meat before adding the
wet ingredients of a casserole it may be be olive oil all the way,
especially in a mediteranen style dish, although for Indian dishes
ghee or coconut oil is preferred, purelt because of the distinct
flavour that whichever oil retains through the cooking process.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: What oil?

<f8e52a8d-9158-489d-86a3-13badb717d90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5062&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5062

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 07:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:17 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 4:02:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Fri, 22 Oct 2021 06:46:59 -0700, Dave Brown escribió:
>
> > I really only use extra virgin on salads, bread, toasty things though.
> >
> > We get a couple of 5L cans each year from the first communal press of
> > olives collected from around my uncles finca and village near Lake
> > Vinuela.
> Here, have one of these: ñ.
>
> It's OK, I've got loads of them :-)

I pressed ALT+n and ALT GR+n, neither squiggled the n, so I lost interest approx .3ms after that, safe in the knowledge that most Spanish speaking citizens that frequent these parts should be able to handle the translation in their stride.

:-P

Re: What oil?

<1shdnghlmnd8vrecmf8irc7fnbvmf79c9b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5069&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5069

From: salad.do...@idnet.com (Salad Dodger)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:04:51 +0100
 by: Salad Dodger - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:04 UTC

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 20:58:31 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>As Champ was saying it's quiet. let's have an oil thread.
>
>So, tell me, what is the best oil to use in my Tefal deep fryer to make
>good chips from my maris piper spuds?

Beef dripping. Always, and forever.
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK;GL1800D

Re: What oil?

<itobeiF23i6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5076&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5076

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 19:30:44 +0100
 by: siwilson - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 18:30 UTC

On 25/10/2021 15:17, Dave Brown wrote:
> On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 4:02:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> El Fri, 22 Oct 2021 06:46:59 -0700, Dave Brown escribió:
>>
>>> I really only use extra virgin on salads, bread, toasty things though.
>>>
>>> We get a couple of 5L cans each year from the first communal press of
>>> olives collected from around my uncles finca and village near Lake
>>> Vinuela.
>> Here, have one of these: ñ.
>>
>> It's OK, I've got loads of them :-)
>>

> I pressed ALT+n and ALT GR+n, neither squiggled the n, so I lost interest approx .3ms after that, safe in the knowledge that most Spanish speaking citizens that frequent these parts should be able to handle the translation in their stride.
>
> :-P

Without the proper symbol (character?) tt does make translating phrases
such as "the year of our lord" rather interesting.

--
/Simon

Re: What oil?

<itoicdF3doiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5080&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5080

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 21:29:00 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 20:29 UTC

Dave Brown wrote:

> I pressed ALT+n and ALT GR+n, neither squiggled the n, so I lost interest

AltGr with ~ followed by n or N works here (but I do have UK Extended keyboard
selected, so YMMV)

Re: What oil?

<itoq58F4p3lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5087&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5087

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 23:41:43 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 22:41 UTC

On 22/10/2021 17:39, wessie wrote:
> Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in news:nbr4ng5kdhj9g58dgvago7d042d252u4pj@4ax.com:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 06:32:15 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've moved on and now have an air fryer.
>>>
>>> No idea how it works, but makes brilliant chips [1]
>>>
>>> [1] er, from frozen bought chips
>>
>> We were gifted one recently by some friends returning to the UK. Tried
>> it for (frozen) chips a few times, but it's nowhere near as good. Not
>> properly crisp like deep-fried ones, more like what you get with oven
>> chips. We eat chips maybe three or four times a month, so I'm not
>> concerned about our fat intake, and the air fryer takes up a lot more
>> space than the oil one, so I can't really be arsed to get it out.
>>

> yes, I have one as well, also Tefal. Rubbish. You can't beat proper, deep
> fried chips made from fresh spuds.

I've just bought an air fryer, as I'm running out of clothes that I can
fit into.

Re: What oil?

<XnsADCF6E0AC2775wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5094&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5094

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 09:49:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 09:49 UTC

Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote in

> On 22/10/2021 17:39, wessie wrote:
>> Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in

>>> We were gifted one recently by some friends returning to the UK.
>>> Tried it for (frozen) chips a few times, but it's nowhere near as
>>> good. Not properly crisp like deep-fried ones, more like what you
>>> get with oven chips. We eat chips maybe three or four times a month,
>>> so I'm not concerned about our fat intake, and the air fryer takes
>>> up a lot more space than the oil one, so I can't really be arsed to
>>> get it out.
>>>

>> yes, I have one as well, also Tefal. Rubbish. You can't beat proper,
>> deep fried chips made from fresh spuds.
>
> I've just bought an air fryer, as I'm running out of clothes that I
> can fit into.

[mode Krusty]

you know it's not the fat that's the problem don't you? But the quantity
of carbs you encrust in fat...

[/K]

Re: What oil?

<pan$6f6f7$698bdc12$c1fe9ca5$d9a85258@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5097&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5097

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 26 Oct 2021 10:10:34 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 10:10 UTC

El Mon, 25 Oct 2021 21:29:00 +0100, Andy Burns escribió:

> Dave Brown wrote:
>
>> I pressed ALT+n and ALT GR+n, neither squiggled the n, so I lost
>> interest
>
> AltGr with ~ followed by n or N works here (but I do have UK Extended
> keyboard selected, so YMMV)

Can't you just click something to remap the keyboard?

Hang on...

#
'
; @

Oh yes, it seems one can. All those above were ç, ñ, etc.

So the ñ would be a remapped ;.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: What oil?

<00fd1216-2fe6-4c35-8cfb-029f9e5b8b9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5140&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5140

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 02:07:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 09:07 UTC

On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 9:29:03 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
> Dave Brown wrote:
>
> > I pressed ALT+n and ALT GR+n, neither squiggled the n, so I lost interest
> AltGr with ~ followed by n or N works here (but I do have UK Extended keyboard
> selected, so YMMV)

Drainpipe or back slash here - so I guess I don't. éúíóá is the only ALTGR+ action I get around these parts.
Important stuff like ° ALT+248 µ ALT+230 works on the numeric keypad - which is all I really need.