It is difficult to legislate morality in the absence of moral legislators.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

SubjectAuthor
* OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Bev
+* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Martin Brown
|`- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Harry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Colin Bignell
|+* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Harry Bloomfield Esq
||+- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Jock
||+- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Colin Bignell
||`- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Bob Eager
|`* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
| +* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Colin Bignell
| |+* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
| ||`* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Colin Bignell
| || +- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
| || `- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
| |`- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
| `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?alan_m
|  +- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
|  `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
|   +- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
|   +* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?#Paul
|   |`- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
|   `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Tim Streater
|    `- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
`* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?The Natural Philosopher
 `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Bev
  `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?The Natural Philosopher
   `- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Pancho

Pages:12
Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<59e23ef292dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51076&group=uk.d-i-y#51076

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 12:10:54 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 2 May 2022 11:10 UTC

In article <cnf4kixbqs.ln2@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk>,
#Paul <news20k.noreply@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > I have a pal. Never seen him wear specs - even for reading.
> > At over 70 obviously short sighted. Doesn't drive.
> >
> > After his cataract operations (both eyes) complaining bitterly
> > he had to pay for reading specs. Asked him if he was now pleased
> > having decent distance vision, and said he hadn't noticed. He
> > is a bit odd, though. ;-)

> Why would he notice? For 70 years there was nothing he could
> usefully see at a distance, and so he would have learned to
> pay attention (only) to the nearby. That sort of long-ingrained
> bias would be hard to shift, I'd have thought.

He almost certainly had glasses to correct his distance vision, but chose
not to wear them. So would have known what decent distance vision was -
but decided he didn't need it. As I said, a bit odd.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<59e23f0766dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51077&group=uk.d-i-y#51077

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 12:11:49 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 2 May 2022 11:11 UTC

In article <jd9r0uFo43rU1@mid.individual.net>,
Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2022 at 15:07:32 BST, "Dave Plowman <News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk>
> wrote:

> > In article <jd1gbcF5ssiU1@mid.individual.net>, alan_m
> > <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I'm have one eye done in the next few weeks under the NHS and I've
> >> been told that I will still need glasses for reading. I actually
> >> still need glasses for my other eye for distance but a plain lens for
> >> distance for the eye that will be operated on.
> >
> > I have a pal. Never seen him wear specs - even for reading. At over 70
> > obviously short sighted. Doesn't drive.
> >
> > After his cataract operations (both eyes) complaining bitterly he had
> > to pay for reading specs. Asked him if he was now pleased having
> > decent distance vision, and said he hadn't noticed. He is a bit odd,
> > though. ;-)

> Wasn't he asked, at the pre-op stage, whether he wanted to be fitted for
> near or distant vision during the cataract op? I was and chose distant.
> This was an NHS op, although performed at a private hospital.

I've a feeling he wouldn't have understood the question.

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *