Illinois isn't exactly the land that God forgot -- it's more like the land He's trying to ignore.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Garmin Express - Connection Issues

SubjectAuthor
* Garmin Express - Connection Issuessweller
+* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesMark Olson
|`- Garmin Express - Connection Issuessweller
+* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesStephen Packer
|+- Garmin Express - Connection IssuesEddie
|`* Garmin Express - Connection Issuessweller
| +* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesMark Olson
| |`- Garmin Express - Connection IssuesDave Brown
| `* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesMike Fleming
|  `* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesDave Brown
|   `* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesMike Fleming
|    `- Garmin Express - Connection IssuesDave Brown
+* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesEddie
|`* Garmin Express - Connection Issuessweller
| `* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesEddie
|  `* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesYTC#1
|   `- Garmin Express - Connection IssuesEddie
+* Garmin Express - Connection Issueswessie
|`- Garmin Express - Connection Issuessweller
+* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesHiggins
|`- Garmin Express - Connection Issuessweller
+* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesSalad Dodger
|+* Garmin Express - Connection Issueswessie
||+- Garmin Express - Connection IssuesSalad Dodger
||`* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesSalad Dodger
|| +- Garmin Express - Connection Issuessleazy
|| `* Garmin Express - Connection Issueswessie
||  `- Garmin Express - Connection Issueswessie
|`- Garmin Express - Connection Issuessleazy
+* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesChamp
|+* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesPipl
||`* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesAce
|| `- Garmin Express - Connection IssuesChamp
|`- Garmin Express - Connection IssuesTurby
+- Garmin Express - Connection IssuesBruce Horrocks
`* Garmin Express - Connection IssuesKrusty
 `- Garmin Express - Connection Issuessweller

Pages:12
Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j06vunF4ig9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5847&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5847

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Garmin Express - Connection Issues
Date: 24 Nov 2021 14:19:03 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 14:19 UTC

My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
(Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.

The Zumo will always be mounted as a drive and G Exp connects
occasionally - depends what mood it's in. I finally got it to connect
and update after a number of restarts (both laptop and Zumo).

It didn't once show it as connected in G exp - it just started to work.

The Fenix isn't even seen by the laptop but I don't know if it's
supposed to act as a mounted drive. This is using the genuine Garmin
lead.

There's a fair bit of connection/disconnection "bonging" and G Exp
doesn't react. I haven't been able to update the maps on that...

Any ideas?

--
Simon

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<snljcm$rvb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5852&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5852

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 14:48:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 14:48 UTC

sweller <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
> (Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.
>
> The Zumo will always be mounted as a drive and G Exp connects
> occasionally - depends what mood it's in. I finally got it to connect
> and update after a number of restarts (both laptop and Zumo).
>
> It didn't once show it as connected in G exp - it just started to work.
>
> The Fenix isn't even seen by the laptop but I don't know if it's
> supposed to act as a mounted drive. This is using the genuine Garmin
> lead.
>
> There's a fair bit of connection/disconnection "bonging" and G Exp
> doesn't react. I haven't been able to update the maps on that...
>
> Any ideas?

I haven't connected my 390 to a PC in ages, so no idea if it will
work with Windows 10 or not. Hard to say if your issues are SW or
HW related.

I've largely given up on using Garmin's maps anyway in favor of Open
Streetmaps which are surprisingly good. IIRC I found it easier to
take the SD card out and manipulate maps using an SD card reader.
Obviously doesn't address the need for any firmware updates of the
unit itself.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<0844c77a-1e1d-44d9-b701-d6f6be0ccb2cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5853&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5853

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 07:00:45 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:00 UTC

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 14:19:06 UTC, sweller wrote:
> My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
> (Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.
>
> The Zumo will always be mounted as a drive and G Exp connects
> occasionally - depends what mood it's in. I finally got it to connect
> and update after a number of restarts (both laptop and Zumo).
>
> It didn't once show it as connected in G exp - it just started to work.
>
> The Fenix isn't even seen by the laptop but I don't know if it's
> supposed to act as a mounted drive. This is using the genuine Garmin
> lead.
>
> There's a fair bit of connection/disconnection "bonging" and G Exp
> doesn't react. I haven't been able to update the maps on that...
>
> Any ideas?

I've found the Garmin Express software (on a Mac) to be equally shitty.

It takes a lot of fiddling with to connect and then it (generally) works.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j073ieF59arU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5857&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5857

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:20:46 +0000
 by: Eddie - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:20 UTC

On 24/11/2021 14:19, sweller wrote:

> My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
> (Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.

Which model of Fenix?

> The Zumo will always be mounted as a drive and G Exp connects
> occasionally - depends what mood it's in. I finally got it to
> connect and update after a number of restarts (both laptop and
> Zumo).
>
> It didn't once show it as connected in G exp - it just started to
> work.

My Zumo was fine, once I added an SD card to cope with the increase in
size of the maps. I think it always connects as a drive and is detected
by Express.

> The Fenix isn't even seen by the laptop but I don't know if it's
> supposed to act as a mounted drive. This is using the genuine
> Garmin lead.

My Fenix 6 Pro isn't shown as a drive. I don't think I ever connected my
Fenix 5 to the laptop (MacBook), there wasn't any need. I do most stuff
via my phone, after creating routes/workouts on the laptop. Firmware
updates are all propagated automatically via the phone.

> There's a fair bit of connection/disconnection "bonging" and G Exp
> doesn't react. I haven't been able to update the maps on that...
>
> Any ideas?

Tried the appropriate forum?
https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j073kmF59arU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5858&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5858

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:21:58 +0000
 by: Eddie - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:21 UTC

On 24/11/2021 15:00, Stephen Packer wrote:

> I've found the Garmin Express software (on a Mac) to be equally shitty.

Mine generally Just Works™

> It takes a lot of fiddling with to connect and then it (generally) works.

User defect?

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<XnsADECA04686B67wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5863&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5863

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:45:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 15:45 UTC

"sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in

> My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
> (Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.
>
> The Zumo will always be mounted as a drive and G Exp connects
> occasionally - depends what mood it's in. I finally got it to connect
> and update after a number of restarts (both laptop and Zumo).
>
> It didn't once show it as connected in G exp - it just started to
> work.
>
> The Fenix isn't even seen by the laptop but I don't know if it's
> supposed to act as a mounted drive. This is using the genuine Garmin
> lead.
>
> There's a fair bit of connection/disconnection "bonging" and G Exp
> doesn't react. I haven't been able to update the maps on that...
>
> Any ideas?

I have a Zumo 390. Just connected it to my windows 10 laptop and Garmin
Express popped up. It wants to update itself to 7.10.00. Agreed this.
Disconnected the Zumo.

[interlude]

New version of GE installed and Zumo reconnected. GE pops up again.

"A new map version is available v2022.20"

It's now chundering away installing the new maps.

This has been the way with my current Lenovo laptop and the Samsung
predecessor.

Question: what happens with Basecamp? Does this see the Zumo okay? Does
it see the version of maps on the device?
If you do not have Basecamp then install it. It might load a driver pack
that works better or overwrites a damaged file.
I don't use Basecamp except as an archiving tool for old routes or
tracks. It's a shit tool for route planning.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j07cr5F70ptU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5871&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5871

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 24 Nov 2021 17:59:01 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 17:59 UTC

Eddie wrote:

> > It didn't once show it as connected in G exp - it just started to
> > work.
>
> My Zumo was fine, once I added an SD card to cope with the increase
> in size of the maps. I think it always connects as a drive and is
> detected by Express.

I had an SD card in there anyway (I use the open source maps for places
that aren't on the Europe maps (Georgia and Russia).

It finally updated but still didn't show it as connected.

> > The Fenix isn't even seen by the laptop but I don't know if it's
> > supposed to act as a mounted drive. This is using the genuine
> > Garmin lead.
>
> My Fenix 6 Pro isn't shown as a drive. I don't think I ever connected
> my Fenix 5 to the laptop (MacBook), there wasn't any need. I do most
> stuff via my phone, after creating routes/workouts on the laptop.
> Firmware updates are all propagated automatically via the phone.

I think it needs GE to update the maps as it won't do them OTA. My
Fenix 6 finally updated but didn't show it as connected.

I'll try Wessie's suggestion of installing Basecamp but I dunno...

--
Simon

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j07cs1F70ptU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5872&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5872

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 24 Nov 2021 17:59:29 GMT

Mark Olson wrote:

> I've largely given up on using Garmin's maps anyway in favor of Open
> Streetmaps which are surprisingly good

I know, I've used them for Russia and Georgia.

--
Simon

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j07ct5F70ptU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5873&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5873

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 24 Nov 2021 18:00:05 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:00 UTC

Stephen Packer wrote:

> I've found the Garmin Express software (on a Mac) to be equally
> shitty.
>
> It takes a lot of fiddling with to connect and then it (generally)
> works.

It's the mystery fiddling and just staring at it to make it work that's
annoying.

--
Simon

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<snluji$p8k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5874&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5874

From: the.best...@gmail.com (Higgins)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:00:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:41ZOLGIgwEdNBn9BQb1eh7voLEg=
 by: Higgins - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:00 UTC

sweller <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
> (Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.
>
> The Zumo will always be mounted as a drive and G Exp connects
> occasionally - depends what mood it's in. I finally got it to connect
> and update after a number of restarts (both laptop and Zumo).
>
> It didn't once show it as connected in G exp - it just started to work.
>
> The Fenix isn't even seen by the laptop but I don't know if it's
> supposed to act as a mounted drive. This is using the genuine Garmin
> lead.
>
> There's a fair bit of connection/disconnection "bonging" and G Exp
> doesn't react. I haven't been able to update the maps on that...
>
> Any ideas?

It’s not a Dell laptop, is it? I went through all of this and eventually
found a post that suggested Dell’s USB implementation wasn’t quite to
standard. Tried it on a home built desktop and it was fine.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j07cvaF71qvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5875&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5875

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 24 Nov 2021 18:01:14 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:01 UTC

wessie wrote:

> I have a Zumo 390. Just connected it to my windows 10 laptop and
> Garmin Express popped up. It wants to update itself to 7.10.00.
> Agreed this. Disconnected the Zumo.
>
> [interlude]
>
> New version of GE installed and Zumo reconnected. GE pops up again.
>
> "A new map version is available v2022.20"
>
> It's now chundering away installing the new maps.

I finally got there but not as easily.

> If you do not have Basecamp then install it. It might load a driver
> pack that works better or overwrites a damaged file.

I'll try that.

--
Simon

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j07d5kF72qmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5876&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5876

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 24 Nov 2021 18:04:36 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:04 UTC

Higgins wrote:

> It’s not a Dell laptop, is it? I went through all of this and
> eventually found a post that suggested Dell’s USB implementation
> wasn’t quite to standard. Tried it on a home built desktop and it was
> fine.

MS Surface 3

--
Simon

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j07fh2F7halU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5877&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5877

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:44:50 +0000
 by: Eddie - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:44 UTC

On 24/11/2021 17:59, sweller wrote:
> Eddie wrote:
>
>> My Zumo was fine, once I added an SD card to cope with the increase
>> in size of the maps. I think it always connects as a drive and is
>> detected by Express.
>
> I had an SD card in there anyway (I use the open source maps for
> places that aren't on the Europe maps (Georgia and Russia).
>
> It finally updated but still didn't show it as connected.

I can't remember, to be honest.

I'd try it now, but my Zumo's attached to the bike in the garage[0],
it's cold outside, and I can't be bothered to go out.

>> My Fenix 6 Pro isn't shown as a drive. I don't think I ever
>> connected my Fenix 5 to the laptop (MacBook), there wasn't any
>> need. I do most stuff via my phone, after creating routes/workouts
>> on the laptop. Firmware updates are all propagated automatically
>> via the phone.
>
> I think it needs GE to update the maps as it won't do them OTA.

Yes, that's right.

> My Fenix 6 finally updated but didn't show it as connected.

No, mine definitely doesn't show as a connected device, but Express
knows it's there.

> I'll try Wessie's suggestion of installing Basecamp but I dunno...

Have you tried changing the USB mode on the watch? Mine's set to MTP,
but I don't think that shows up on a Mac unless you mess around with
something else, but I think it would show up as a device in Windows.

[0] I finally have a garage, after 3 years without one. What a luxury.
Even if it hasn't got power or insulation yet.
--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<snmh0t$hp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5878&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5878

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 23:14:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 23:14 UTC

sweller <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Stephen Packer wrote:
>
>> I've found the Garmin Express software (on a Mac) to be equally
>> shitty.
>>
>> It takes a lot of fiddling with to connect and then it (generally)
>> works.
>
> It's the mystery fiddling and just staring at it to make it work that's
> annoying.

You've just more or less described what I do for a living.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<52bbea5c-1f24-4a14-924e-ed294e9ce3bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5880&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5880

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 01:24:14 -0800 (PST)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 09:24 UTC

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 11:14:38 PM UTC, Mark Olson wrote:
> sweller <swe...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Stephen Packer wrote:
> >
> >> I've found the Garmin Express software (on a Mac) to be equally
> >> shitty.
> >>
> >> It takes a lot of fiddling with to connect and then it (generally)
> >> works.
> >
> > It's the mystery fiddling and just staring at it to make it work that's
> > annoying.
> >
> You've just more or less described what I do for a living.

Shhhh.....

There's a lot of us that get away with that, and have been for about 20 years.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<snnl9j$126$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5882&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5882

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 09:33:39 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 09:33 UTC

On 24/11/2021 18:44, Eddie wrote:
> On 24/11/2021 17:59, sweller wrote:
>> Eddie wrote:

> [0] I finally have a garage, after 3 years without one. What a luxury.
> Even if it hasn't got power or insulation yet.

Oooh, a major improvment. How many bikes will it fit?

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j094s8Fh3iuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5884&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5884

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 09:55:20 +0000
 by: Eddie - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 09:55 UTC

On 25/11/2021 09:33, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 24/11/2021 18:44, Eddie wrote:
>>
>> [0] I finally have a garage, after 3 years without one. What a luxury.
>> Even if it hasn't got power or insulation yet.
>
> Oooh, a major improvment. How many bikes will it fit?

More.

Additional pushbike coming next month, hopefully. Worry about motorbikes
after winter.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j09l5aFk5a3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5894&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5894

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:33:14 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:33 UTC

On 24/11/2021 18:00, sweller wrote:
> Stephen Packer wrote:
>
>> I've found the Garmin Express software (on a Mac) to be equally
>> shitty.
>>
>> It takes a lot of fiddling with to connect and then it (generally)
>> works.
>
> It's the mystery fiddling and just staring at it to make it work that's
> annoying.

So there is software that's as bad as TomTom's then.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<924450e7-24ca-4136-8348-1931296b3e52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5895&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5895

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 07:38:54 -0800 (PST)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 15:38 UTC

On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 2:33:16 PM UTC, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 24/11/2021 18:00, sweller wrote:
> > Stephen Packer wrote:
> >
> >> I've found the Garmin Express software (on a Mac) to be equally
> >> shitty.
> >>
> >> It takes a lot of fiddling with to connect and then it (generally)
> >> works.
> >
> > It's the mystery fiddling and just staring at it to make it work that's
> > annoying.
> So there is software that's as bad as TomTom's then.

S'funny, I've been using TomTom since day one and never had an issue. TT Rider then a Rider II.
The current one in the van** doesn't even require a cable and just updates over wireless.
'orses for corsas I guess.

** - UKRM's ever building sub clique of mid priced comfortable motorhome owners.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<i4fvpgp7ebk9qqgt2b8dkeutkj89jjsce8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5901&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5901

From: salad.do...@idnet.com (Salad Dodger)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 16:42:21 +0000
 by: Salad Dodger - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 16:42 UTC

On 24 Nov 2021 14:19:03 GMT, "sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
>(Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.

>Any ideas?

My 595 has always been finicky for connections.

Excelled itself today - updated fine, but the map on
Mapsource/BaseCamp is now marked "locked".

I have Lifetime maps on the 595.
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK;GL1800D

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<XnsADEDAF6F5A197wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5906&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5906

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:14:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:14 UTC

Salad Dodger <salad.dodger@idnet.com> wrote in

> On 24 Nov 2021 14:19:03 GMT, "sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>>My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
>>(Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.
>
>>Any ideas?
>
> My 595 has always been finicky for connections.
>
> Excelled itself today - updated fine, but the map on
> Mapsource/BaseCamp is now marked "locked".
>
> I have Lifetime maps on the 595.

I have the same with the latest update on the Zumo 390. Maps fine on the
device and if these maps are viewed in Basecamp via the USB connection.

I have mirrored the maps to the laptop and they appear locked.

The previously installed maps on the laptop 2021.30 are fine. I have not
looked for a fix as I rarely use Basecamp, just using it to archive stuff
from the Zumo.I find it easier to use google maps then plot a route
straight into the Zumo, selecting exit roads from junctions as waypoints.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<kqhvpghdfo47ef6uq6i58924f9jr8k831l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5907&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5907

From: salad.do...@idnet.com (Salad Dodger)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:29:39 +0000
 by: Salad Dodger - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:29 UTC

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:14:46 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>Salad Dodger <salad.dodger@idnet.com> wrote in
>
>> On 24 Nov 2021 14:19:03 GMT, "sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
>>>(Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.
>>
>>>Any ideas?
>>
>> My 595 has always been finicky for connections.
>>
>> Excelled itself today - updated fine, but the map on
>> Mapsource/BaseCamp is now marked "locked".
>>
>> I have Lifetime maps on the 595.
>
>I have the same with the latest update on the Zumo 390. Maps fine on the
>device and if these maps are viewed in Basecamp via the USB connection.
>
>I have mirrored the maps to the laptop and they appear locked.

Indeed.

>The previously installed maps on the laptop 2021.30 are fine. I have not
>looked for a fix as I rarely use Basecamp, just using it to archive stuff
>from the Zumo.I find it easier to use google maps then plot a route
>straight into the Zumo, selecting exit roads from junctions as waypoints.

My usual MO is to select a waypoint, and let the Zumo do the routing.
Only recent instance of route plotting was to find a signpost south
east of Edinburgh, without ending up inverted in a ford, like Tony and
Helen.
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK;GL1800D
Previously ...
CB1300SA8;GL1800A6;GL1500SEV;CBR1100XXX;
CBR1000FL;CBX1000Z;GPz750R;Z750E1;Z650C2;
KH500A8;KH250B3;TS250c;TS185c.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<j0a60nFnd1pU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5912&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5912

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 19:20:55 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 19:20 UTC

On 25/11/2021 15:38, Dave Brown wrote:
> On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 2:33:16 PM UTC, Mike Fleming wrote:

>>> It's the mystery fiddling and just staring at it to make it work that's
>>> annoying.
>> So there is software that's as bad as TomTom's then.
>
> S'funny, I've been using TomTom since day one and never had an issue. TT Rider then a Rider II.
> The current one in the van** doesn't even require a cable and just updates over wireless.
> 'orses for corsas I guess.
>
> ** - UKRM's ever building sub clique of mid priced comfortable motorhome owners.

The Rider 400 occasionally updates no problem, but more often something
goes wrong and it gets stuck and needs intervention like deleting the
already-downloaded files. The most recent update of the PC software
finally seems to have improved it.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<lm10qgt6mpc7vdmu287ggrioe6dl39esmm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5916&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5916

From: salad.do...@idnet.com (Salad Dodger)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:58:20 +0000
 by: Salad Dodger - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:58 UTC

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:14:46 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>Salad Dodger <salad.dodger@idnet.com> wrote in

>> My 595 has always been finicky for connections.
>>
>> Excelled itself today - updated fine, but the map on
>> Mapsource/BaseCamp is now marked "locked".
>>
>> I have Lifetime maps on the 595.
>
>I have the same with the latest update on the Zumo 390. Maps fine on the
>device and if these maps are viewed in Basecamp via the USB connection.
>
>I have mirrored the maps to the laptop and they appear locked.
>
>The previously installed maps on the laptop 2021.30 are fine. I have not
>looked for a fix as I rarely use Basecamp, just using it to archive stuff
>from the Zumo.I find it easier to use google maps then plot a route
>straight into the Zumo, selecting exit roads from junctions as waypoints.

Uninstalled all maps, and then ran Express "as Administrator", and
it's all good.
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK;GL1800D
Previously ...
CB1300SA8;GL1800A6;GL1500SEV;CBR1100XXX;
CBR1000FL;CBX1000Z;GPz750R;Z750E1;Z650C2;
KH500A8;KH250B3;TS250c;TS185c.

Re: Garmin Express - Connection Issues

<snpb7j$3on$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5917&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5917

From: non...@nil.net (sleazy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 00:54:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jnup3YdLuDinCc4M0UnlU1l0opY=
 by: sleazy - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 00:54 UTC

Salad Dodger <salad.dodger@idnet.com> wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2021 14:19:03 GMT, "sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> My Garmin Zumo 390 is really reluctant to connect to Garmin Express
>> (Win 10 Pro). My Garmin Fenix won't connect at all.
>
>> Any ideas?
>
> My 595 has always been finicky for connections.
>
> Excelled itself today - updated fine, but the map on
> Mapsource/BaseCamp is now marked "locked".
>
> I have Lifetime maps on the 595.

Did you install the maps to Basecamp via Garmin Express? I’ve not had an
issue with my Nuvi Drive 65 updating ever. Same with all the GPS
predecessors since Garmin Express took life.