Too cool to calypso, Too tough to tango, Too weird to watusi -- The Only Ones

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

SubjectAuthor
* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mark Olson
`* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?YTC#1
 `* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mark Olson
  +* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?YTC#1
  |+* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?ChrisND @UKRM
  ||`* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Champ
  || +- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?ChrisND @UKRM
  || `* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?YTC#1
  ||  `* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?ChrisND @UKRM
  ||   `- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?YTC#1
  |+* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mark Olson
  ||`* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?YTC#1
  || `* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mark Olson
  ||  +* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Eddie
  ||  |`- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?siwilson
  ||  +* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?YTC#1
  ||  |+* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?ChrisND @UKRM
  ||  ||`* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mark Olson
  ||  || `- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?YTC#1
  ||  |`- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Pipl
  ||  `* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Pipl
  ||   `- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mark Olson
  |`* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mike Fleming
  | `* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Pete Fisher
  |  `* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?YTC#1
  |   `- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Pete Fisher
  `* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Champ
   `* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mark Olson
    +* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Turby
    |`* Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mark Olson
    | `- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Eddie
    +- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Champ
    `- Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?Mike Fleming

Pages:12
Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<snquf6$b4j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5927&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5927

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 15:28:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 15:28 UTC

"You must be truly desperate to come to [UKRM] for help"

I just purchased a domain from Google Domains but for the life of me
I cannot figure out how to view the credentials I need for my dynamic
DNS client to update Google's service with my router's public IP.

I've tried and tried but what I am seeing doesn't match the help
page's directions...

https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6147083?hl=en#zippy=%2Cset-up-a-client-program-on-your-gateway-host-or-server

To view the username and password created for this record: Click
View Credentials."

The problem is, there is no "View Credentials" link to click on.

I've turned off uBlock Origin, thinking it might have been messing
with rendering the page, but no help.

Update: I remoted into a Windows PC and lo and behold, using Chrome
(version 96.0.4664.45), the credentials link is there. Still not
there in Chrome (version 91.0.4472.167) on my Chromebook. Hmmm.

I suppose this is just one of Google's subtle ways of trying to
nudge me into buying a newer Chromebook (which I have but I still
like using this Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015)).

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<snrfg6$oqo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5931&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5931

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:19:17 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:19 UTC

On 26/11/2021 15:28, Mark Olson wrote:
> "You must be truly desperate to come to [UKRM] for help"
>
> I just purchased a domain from Google Domains but for the life of me
> I cannot figure out how to view the credentials I need for my dynamic
> DNS client to update Google's service with my router's public IP.
>
> I've tried and tried but what I am seeing doesn't match the help
> page's directions...
>
> https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6147083?hl=en#zippy=%2Cset-up-a-client-program-on-your-gateway-host-or-server
>
> To view the username and password created for this record: Click
> View Credentials."
>
> The problem is, there is no "View Credentials" link to click on.
>
> I've turned off uBlock Origin, thinking it might have been messing
> with rendering the page, but no help.
>
> Update: I remoted into a Windows PC and lo and behold, using Chrome
> (version 96.0.4664.45), the credentials link is there. Still not
> there in Chrome (version 91.0.4472.167) on my Chromebook. Hmmm.

I find this with FF on some sites. On Linux things are missing, but on
the Mac not. And sometimes vice/versa.

I usually resort to multiple browsers on each platform.

> I suppose this is just one of Google's subtle ways of trying to
> nudge me into buying a newer Chromebook (which I have but I still
> like using this Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015)).

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<snrovn$qr2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5933&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5933

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:01:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:01 UTC

YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
> On 26/11/2021 15:28, Mark Olson wrote:

>> Update: I remoted into a Windows PC and lo and behold, using Chrome
>> (version 96.0.4664.45), the credentials link is there. Still not
>> there in Chrome (version 91.0.4472.167) on my Chromebook. Hmmm.
>
> I find this with FF on some sites. On Linux things are missing, but on
> the Mac not. And sometimes vice/versa.
>
> I usually resort to multiple browsers on each platform.

And my problem turned out to be more an ID 10 T error and less of
a browser issue. I kept clicking on the 'Manage dynamic DNS' link
(which is what I thought I wanted to do) rather than the 'v' symbol
next to "Your domain has Dynamic DNS set up" (yes, I know), where
the credentials are revealed. So it does work fine on the older
Chrome version.

2nd sticking point was, all the "how-to" blogs that came up when
googling for how to set up /etc/ddclient.conf emphasized that you
need to enclose the login and password values in single quotes.
Except that caused authentication to fail when talking to Google's
DDNS server... as the debug command finally revealed to me.

$ sudo ddclient -daemon=0 -force -debug -verbose -noquiet

WHY oh why does every online how-to have obviously broken instructions?
Before I post anything, I walk it through line by line and do strict
copy&paste, no re-typing. Sure, I make mistakes, but how on earth does
someone claim to be writing a ddclient setup howto _specifically for_
Google Domains dynamic DNS, and get this crucial detail wrong? Twice?

https://jakeholmquist.medium.com/google-domains-dynamic-dns-with-google-domains-1dd0ea45c219

Quoting (repeated twice):
"Pro Tip: Don???t forget the single quotes around the password."

His example:
protocol=dyndns2
use=web
server=domains.google.com
ssl=yes
login='notmyrealUsername'
password='notmyrealPassword'
medium.technolofree.com

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<snt18m$16k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5937&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5937

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:28:37 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:28 UTC

On 26/11/2021 23:01, Mark Olson wrote:
> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 26/11/2021 15:28, Mark Olson wrote:
>
>>> Update: I remoted into a Windows PC and lo and behold, using Chrome
>>> (version 96.0.4664.45), the credentials link is there. Still not
>>> there in Chrome (version 91.0.4472.167) on my Chromebook. Hmmm.
>>
>> I find this with FF on some sites. On Linux things are missing, but on
>> the Mac not. And sometimes vice/versa.
>>
>> I usually resort to multiple browsers on each platform.
>
> And my problem turned out to be more an ID 10 T error and less of
> a browser issue. I kept clicking on the 'Manage dynamic DNS' link
> (which is what I thought I wanted to do) rather than the 'v' symbol
> next to "Your domain has Dynamic DNS set up" (yes, I know), where
> the credentials are revealed. So it does work fine on the older
> Chrome version.

Ah, Jean suffers from the "unable to read a screen" syndrome. Drive me
nuts. I say "press the arrow to scroll back" (or similar) and she gazes
at it. The mouse (or finger) hovering, no where near the correct place.

I get a tad frustrated when tryong to guide her through any admin stuff.

> 2nd sticking point was, all the "how-to" blogs that came up when
> googling for how to set up /etc/ddclient.conf emphasized that you

I used to run a ddclient, for DYNDNS, then decided to always buy a
router that can do that bit for me.

> need to enclose the login and password values in single quotes.
> Except that caused authentication to fail when talking to Google's
> DDNS server... as the debug command finally revealed to me.
>
> $ sudo ddclient -daemon=0 -force -debug -verbose -noquiet
>
> WHY oh why does every online how-to have obviously broken instructions?
> Before I post anything, I walk it through line by line and do strict
> copy&paste, no re-typing. Sure, I make mistakes, but how on earth does
> someone claim to be writing a ddclient setup howto _specifically for_
> Google Domains dynamic DNS, and get this crucial detail wrong? Twice?

Because, usually, there is a points based system?
I see it on support forums, there is always someone with a high score
that usually fails to help and just posts trash.

Then there are all the blogs that are copies of blogs that are really
just a man page, all because someone wants to look like they know what
shit is.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j0eh03Fi65rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5938&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5938

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:52:50 +0000
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:52 UTC

On 27/11/2021 10:28, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 26/11/2021 23:01, Mark Olson wrote:
>> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I find this with FF on some sites. On Linux things are missing, but on
>>> the Mac not. And sometimes vice/versa.
>>>
>>> I usually resort to multiple browsers on each platform.
>>
>> And my problem turned out to be more an ID 10 T error and less of
>> a browser issue. I kept clicking on the 'Manage dynamic DNS' link
>> (which is what I thought I wanted to do) rather than the 'v' symbol
>> next to "Your domain has Dynamic DNS set up" (yes, I know), where
>> the credentials are revealed. So it does work fine on the older
>> Chrome version.
>
> Ah, Jean suffers from the "unable to read a screen" syndrome. Drive me
> nuts. I say "press the arrow to scroll back" (or similar) and she gazes
> at it. The mouse (or finger) hovering, no where near the correct place.

This sounds familiar.
Mine also suffers from the 'I must go back and check the previous page
just to check it still says the same thing' 'at least twice' syndrome :-)

>> WHY oh why does every online how-to have obviously broken instructions?
>> Before I post anything, I walk it through line by line and do strict
>> copy&paste, no re-typing. Sure, I make mistakes, but how on earth does
>> someone claim to be writing a ddclient setup howto _specifically for_
>> Google Domains dynamic DNS, and get this crucial detail wrong? Twice?
>
> Because, usually, there is a points based system?
> I see it on support forums, there is always someone with a high score
> that usually fails to help and just posts trash.

Interesting thought.

> Then there are all the blogs that are copies of blogs that are really
> just a man page, all because someone wants to look like they know what
> shit is.

A 'man page'?
Is that a thing?

The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<sntfrf$p5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5941&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5941

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 14:37:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 14:37 UTC

YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:

> I used to run a ddclient, for DYNDNS, then decided to always buy a
> router that can do that bit for me.

I had a router that did DDNS for me as well, until I sidelined it in
favor of a two node Google WiFi mesh system that has great performance,
but has a dumbed down user interface. At least I can do port forwarding
so I can still SSH into my server. But a lot of the bells and whistles
my old Netgear router had are nowhere to be found.

Oh, and the worst part is the only way to set up and modify the Google
WiFi (now rebranded as Nest) router and additional mesh APs is with an
Android app interface! So far I haven't been able to discover any web
based interface or even a command line one. Maybe someone's figured
it out by now.

> Then there are all the blogs that are copies of blogs that are really
> just a man page, all because someone wants to look like they know what
> shit is.

Man pages are generally only useful to me if I already know the
command but just need a reminder of what switch does what, or to know
the correct syntax. I have a hard time grasping how to use programs
based solely off a man page that does not have specific examples of
how to use the program.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<so15qgtjosc1gtml0r6gkkhet0akmtcva3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5945&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5945

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 19:29:43 +0000
 by: Champ - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 19:29 UTC

On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:52:50 +0000, "ChrisND @UKRM"
<chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:

>> Then there are all the blogs that are copies of blogs that are really
>> just a man page, all because someone wants to look like they know what
>> shit is.

>A 'man page'?
>Is that a thing?

'man' is short for 'manual'
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<rp15qgpdm7l9vfp873gqj9ttl62udp6mij@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5946&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5946

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 19:33:12 +0000
 by: Champ - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 19:33 UTC

On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:01:11 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>And my problem turned out to be more an ID 10 T error

<thinks>

heh

Hadn't come across that one before :-) Used to PEBKAC, layer 8, etc
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<snu71k$1qc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5947&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5947

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 21:13:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 21:13 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:01:11 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
> <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>
>>And my problem turned out to be more an ID 10 T error
>
> <thinks>
>
> heh
>
> Hadn't come across that one before :-) Used to PEBKAC, layer 8, etc

It's good to know which end of the idiot / genuis pool you're on.
Some days you're on the shallow end and sometimes the deep end.

And some days, no matter what, it's hard to keep your head above water.

PS Looks like we lucked out as far as getting in and out of the UK
before the latest changes to the testing/isolation rules related to
the Omicron variant.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<snufi5$rsd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5949&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5949

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 15:38:45 -0800
 by: Turby - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 23:38 UTC

On 11/27/2021 1:13 PM, Mark Olson wrote:

> PS Looks like we lucked out as far as getting in and out of the UK
> before the latest changes to the testing/isolation rules related to
> the Omicron variant.

And weather, it seems.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<snuiub$cnr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5950&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5950

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 00:36:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 00:36 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/2021 1:13 PM, Mark Olson wrote:
>> >
>> PS Looks like we lucked out as far as getting in and out of the UK
>> before the latest changes to the testing/isolation rules related to
>> the Omicron variant.
>>
> And weather, it seems.

Indeed so.

Hopefully, His Grace, Percy the Duke of Northumberland, will be
generous and fund the restoration of the heavily damaged pitch of
the Alnwick Town junior FC.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j0h345F2g28U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5951&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5951

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:14:28 +0000
 by: Eddie - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:14 UTC

On 28/11/2021 00:36, Mark Olson wrote:

> Hopefully, His Grace, Percy the Duke of Northumberland, will be
> generous and fund the restoration of the heavily damaged pitch of
> the Alnwick Town junior FC.

He's a cunt. HTH.

His missus seems like a decent person, though but.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j0hf47F4qsoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5952&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5952

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:39:18 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:39 UTC

On 27/11/2021 10:28, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 26/11/2021 23:01, Mark Olson wrote:
>>
>> And my problem turned out to be more an ID 10 T error and less of
>> a browser issue. I kept clicking on the 'Manage dynamic DNS' link
>> (which is what I thought I wanted to do) rather than the 'v' symbol
>> next to "Your domain has Dynamic DNS set up" (yes, I know), where
>> the credentials are revealed. So it does work fine on the older
>> Chrome version.
>
> Ah, Jean suffers from the "unable to read a screen" syndrome. Drive me
> nuts. I say "press the arrow to scroll back" (or similar) and she gazes
> at it. The mouse (or finger) hovering, no where near the correct place.
>
> I get a tad frustrated when tryong to guide her through any admin stuff.

One of my colleagues for some reason feels the need to type things in,
even when a template is supplied to copy and paste. I'd worked out the
command for a single-click login using a particular terminal emulator,
copied the command from "Properties" on my machine, replaced username
and password with the words username and password, and sent it to her
with the instructions on what to change. She rang me up and told me it
didn't work, so I told her (again) to copy & paste. So instead of that,
she kept on typing it in so I had to go through it again character by
character telling her what to put in. She got it wrong first time round
too, so I had to go back over it making sure she'd got all her
punctuation and spaces in the right place. Ten minutes to do something
which should have taken 15 seconds.

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j0hgdbF514aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5953&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5953

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:01:14 +0000
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:01 UTC

On 27/11/2021 19:29, Champ wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:52:50 +0000, "ChrisND @UKRM"
> <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>> Then there are all the blogs that are copies of blogs that are really
>>> just a man page, all because someone wants to look like they know what
>>> shit is.
>
>> A 'man page'?
>> Is that a thing?
>
> 'man' is short for 'manual'

<Slaps forehead>
Of course, ta.

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j0hj4iF5idaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5954&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5954

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:47:46 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:47 UTC

On 28/11/2021 13:39, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 27/11/2021 10:28, YTC#1 wrote:
>> On 26/11/2021 23:01, Mark Olson wrote:
>>>
>>> And my problem turned out to be more an ID 10 T error and less of
>>> a browser issue. I kept clicking on the 'Manage dynamic DNS' link
>>> (which is what I thought I wanted to do) rather than the 'v' symbol
>>> next to "Your domain has Dynamic DNS set up" (yes, I know), where
>>> the credentials are revealed. So it does work fine on the older
>>> Chrome version.
>>
>> Ah, Jean suffers from the "unable to read a screen" syndrome. Drive me
>> nuts. I say "press the arrow to scroll back" (or similar) and she
>> gazes at it. The mouse (or finger) hovering, no where near the correct
>> place.
>>
>> I get a tad frustrated when tryong to guide her through any admin stuff.
>
> One of my colleagues for some reason feels the need to type things in,
> even when a template is supplied to copy and paste. I'd worked out the
> command for a single-click login using a particular terminal emulator,
> copied the command from "Properties" on my machine, replaced username
> and password with the words username and password, and sent it to her
> with the instructions on what to change. She rang me up and told me it
> didn't work, so I told her (again) to copy & paste. So instead of that,
> she kept on typing it in so I had to go through it again character by
> character telling her what to put in. She got it wrong first time round
> too, so I had to go back over it making sure she'd got all her
> punctuation and spaces in the right place. Ten minutes to do something
> which should have taken 15 seconds.

SWMBO is similarly afflicted.

RTFM becomes RTFS.

WYSIWYG was OK in the early days for the non computer literate. Some
web pages in particular have become just too complex for casual users.

Some conventions are followed (Login/out top right hand corner) but some
are far from straightforward to use unless familiar with all the
multiplying icons these days.

Some web designers need to revisit "Shneiderman’s Eight Golden Rules".

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j077qgl800anutdgvqjkp6fjc2m460k82g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5955&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5955

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:11:55 +0000
 by: Champ - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:11 UTC

On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 21:13:24 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:01:11 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
>> <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>And my problem turned out to be more an ID 10 T error
>>
>> <thinks>
>> Hadn't come across that one before :-) Used to PEBKAC, layer 8, etc

>It's good to know which end of the idiot / genuis pool you're on.
>Some days you're on the shallow end and sometimes the deep end.
>
>And some days, no matter what, it's hard to keep your head above water.

Aint dat de troof

Sometimes you're the hammer, and sometimes you're the nail
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j0hlrcF636bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5956&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5956

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:34:03 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:34 UTC

On 27/11/2021 21:13, Mark Olson wrote:

> It's good to know which end of the idiot / genuis pool you're on.
> Some days you're on the shallow end and sometimes the deep end.

Yesterday I pointed to a row of signs in a taxi window showing forbidden
items - a can, a beverage cup, a cigarette, and what looked like a
syringe - and asked SWMBO "does that mean no intravenous drugs?". When
she stopped laughing, she told me it means "no vaping".

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/p180x540/262038513_10227690576755523_880399598253645026_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hZVe3BfKpgUAX8O0BkH&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=3cf03782962e07c5247f638e77fd3151&oe=61A7CD49

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<so07mg$42j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5957&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5957

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:36:49 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:36 UTC

On 27/11/2021 19:29, Champ wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:52:50 +0000, "ChrisND @UKRM"
> <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>> Then there are all the blogs that are copies of blogs that are really
>>> just a man page, all because someone wants to look like they know what
>>> shit is.
>
>> A 'man page'?
>> Is that a thing?
>
> 'man' is short for 'manual'

I had hoped he was using sarcasm.
But sometimes I forget not everyone is into *nix.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<so080j$e05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5958&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5958

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:42:11 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:42 UTC

On 27/11/2021 14:37, Mark Olson wrote:
> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I used to run a ddclient, for DYNDNS, then decided to always buy a
>> router that can do that bit for me.
>
> I had a router that did DDNS for me as well, until I sidelined it in
> favor of a two node Google WiFi mesh system that has great performance,
> but has a dumbed down user interface. At least I can do port forwarding
> so I can still SSH into my server. But a lot of the bells and whistles
> my old Netgear router had are nowhere to be found.

Not sure which is worse. The dumbing down, or the Google relience.
I have a mesh as well, but stick with Netgear (year I know, there is
better) and am reviewing Microtik for future shite.

> Oh, and the worst part is the only way to set up and modify the Google
> WiFi (now rebranded as Nest) router and additional mesh APs is with an
> Android app interface! So far I haven't been able to discover any web
> based interface or even a command line one. Maybe someone's figured
> it out by now.

Maybe dump Google? Just a thought.

>> Then there are all the blogs that are copies of blogs that are really
>> just a man page, all because someone wants to look like they know what
>> shit is.
>
> Man pages are generally only useful to me if I already know the
> command but just need a reminder of what switch does what, or to know
> the correct syntax. I have a hard time grasping how to use programs
> based solely off a man page that does not have specific examples of
> how to use the program.

Examples are good.
And the Solaris man pages used to have really good ones.
Since Oracle took over, the Examples have not been as useful.

But yes, very good for checking switches.

I did my early Solaris/SunOS education by working through the manuals.
And by manuals, I mean the reams of hardback folders :-)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<so086u$e05$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5959&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5959

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:45:34 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:45 UTC

On 28/11/2021 14:47, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 13:39, Mike Fleming wrote:

>>> Ah, Jean suffers from the "unable to read a screen" syndrome. Drive
>>> me nuts. I say "press the arrow to scroll back" (or similar) and she
>>> gazes at it. The mouse (or finger) hovering, no where near the
>>> correct place.
>>>
>>> I get a tad frustrated when tryong to guide her through any admin stuff.
>>
>> One of my colleagues for some reason feels the need to type things in,
>> even when a template is supplied to copy and paste. I'd worked out the
>> command for a single-click login using a particular terminal emulator,
>> copied the command from "Properties" on my machine, replaced username
>> and password with the words username and password, and sent it to her
>> with the instructions on what to change. She rang me up and told me it
>> didn't work, so I told her (again) to copy & paste. So instead of
>> that, she kept on typing it in so I had to go through it again
>> character by character telling her what to put in. She got it wrong
>> first time round too, so I had to go back over it making sure she'd
>> got all her punctuation and spaces in the right place. Ten minutes to
>> do something which should have taken 15 seconds.
>
> SWMBO is similarly afflicted.
>
> RTFM becomes RTFS.
>
> WYSIWYG was OK in the early days for the  non computer literate. Some
> web pages in particular have become just too complex for casual users.

I think you have a good point here. There are (or used to be) rules
about how much info should be presented to someone on a screen. We used
to work to a maximum of 7 menu items for example.

> Some conventions are followed (Login/out top right hand corner) but some
> are far from straightforward to use unless familiar with all the
> multiplying icons these days.
>
> Some web designers need to revisit "Shneiderman’s Eight Golden Rules".

Ah, see he broke the 7 item rule and confused people.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j0hnloF6d9iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5960&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5960

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:05:12 +0000
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:05 UTC

On 28/11/2021 15:36, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 27/11/2021 19:29, Champ wrote:

>>> A 'man page'?
>>> Is that a thing?
>>
>> 'man' is short for 'manual'
>>

> I had hoped he was using sarcasm.
> But sometimes I forget not everyone is into *nix.

Both, it would seem :-)

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j0hoofF6k4nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5961&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5961

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:23:43 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:23 UTC

On 28/11/2021 15:45, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 14:47, Pete Fisher wrote:

>>> One of my colleagues for some reason feels the need to type things
>>> in, even when a template is supplied to copy and paste. I'd worked
>>> out the command for a single-click login using a particular terminal
>>> emulator, copied the command from "Properties" on my machine,
>>> replaced username and password with the words username and password,
>>> and sent it to her with the instructions on what to change. She rang
>>> me up and told me it didn't work, so I told her (again) to copy &
>>> paste. So instead of that, she kept on typing it in so I had to go
>>> through it again character by character telling her what to put in.
>>> She got it wrong first time round too, so I had to go back over it
>>> making sure she'd got all her punctuation and spaces in the right
>>> place. Ten minutes to do something which should have taken 15 seconds.
>>
>> SWMBO is similarly afflicted.
>>
>> RTFM becomes RTFS.
>>
>> WYSIWYG was OK in the early days for the  non computer literate. Some
>> web pages in particular have become just too complex for casual users.
>
> I think you have a good point here. There are (or used to be) rules
> about how much info should be presented to someone on a screen. We used
> to work to a maximum of 7 menu items for example.
>

>> Some conventions are followed (Login/out top right hand corner) but
>> some are far from straightforward to use unless familiar with all the
>> multiplying icons these days.
>>
>> Some web designers need to revisit "Shneiderman’s Eight Golden Rules".
>
> Ah, see he broke the 7 item rule and confused people.

Heh. At least he wasn't one over the eight!

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
1937 Sunbeam Model 14 250 Sports
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<so0b2e$9jg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5963&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5963

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:34:22 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:34 UTC

On 28/11/2021 16:05, ChrisND @UKRM wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 15:36, YTC#1 wrote:
>> On 27/11/2021 19:29, Champ wrote:

>>> 'man' is short for 'manual'
>>>

>> I had hoped he was using sarcasm.
>> But sometimes I forget not everyone is into *nix.
>>

> Both, it would seem :-)

I can't see typing
per ls
catching on

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<so0csq$9an$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5964&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5964

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:05:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:05 UTC

YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:

> I did my early Solaris/SunOS education by working through the manuals.
> And by manuals, I mean the reams of hardback folders :-)

I kind of miss the days of data books. When you wanted to know how a
particular IC worked, you went to the bookshelf and picked up the Texas
Instruments databook and perused the entry for the 74LS125 or whatever.

Now it's generally all at your fingertips via the web, except when you
don't have web access 'cos you're in a secret facility wit

NO CARRIER

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, Vespa Ciao

Re: Decidedly OT: Anyone use Google Domains dynamic DNS?

<j0i14kF86nfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5970&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5970

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 18:46:44 +0000
 by: Eddie - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 18:46 UTC

On 28/11/2021 17:05, Mark Olson wrote:
> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I did my early Solaris/SunOS education by working through the manuals.
>> And by manuals, I mean the reams of hardback folders :-)
>
> I kind of miss the days of data books. When you wanted to know how a
> particular IC worked, you went to the bookshelf and picked up the Texas
> Instruments databook and perused the entry for the 74LS125 or whatever.

Heh. I think I've got one of those somewhere.

> Now it's generally all at your fingertips via the web, except when you
> don't have web access 'cos you're in a secret facility wit
>
> NO CARRIER

Can anybody else hear a helicopter?

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org