Laugh, and the world ignores you. Crying doesn't help either.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

SubjectAuthor
* Walkers (Not Crisps)Tone
+- Walkers (Not Crisps)Peter
+* Walkers (Not Crisps)hubops
|+* Walkers (Not Crisps)RustyHinge
||`* Walkers (Not Crisps)Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|| `* Walkers (Not Crisps)ChrisND@privacy.net
||  `- Walkers (Not Crisps)Richard Robinson
|`- Walkers (Not Crisps)Tone
+* Walkers (Not Crisps)Nick Odell
|+* Walkers (Not Crisps)Tone
||+* Walkers (Not Crisps)Sam Plusnet
|||`- Walkers (Not Crisps)Peter
||`- Walkers (Not Crisps)Nick Odell
|`* Walkers (Not Crisps)Peter
| `- Walkers (Not Crisps)Kerr-Mudd, John
+- Walkers (Not Crisps)Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Walkers (Not Crisps)Firu
|+- Walkers (Not Crisps)John Williamson
|`- Walkers (Not Crisps)Nicholas D. Richards
`* Walkers (Not Crisps)Mike Fleming
 +- Walkers (Not Crisps)Tone
 `* Walkers (Not Crisps)Sam Plusnet
  `* Walkers (Not Crisps)Nick Odell
   `* Walkers (Not Crisps)Tone
    +* Walkers (Not Crisps)Peter
    |`* Walkers (Not Crisps)Tone
    | +* Walkers (Not Crisps)Peter
    | |`* Walkers (Not Crisps)Tone
    | | `* Walkers (Not Crisps)Peter
    | |  `- Walkers (Not Crisps)Nicholas D. Richards
    | `* Walkers (Not Crisps)Sam Plusnet
    |  +* Walkers (Not Crisps)Nick Odell
    |  |+* Walkers (Not Crisps)Nicholas D. Richards
    |  ||`- Walkers (Not Crisps)Peter
    |  |+* Walkers (Not Crisps)Tone
    |  ||+- Walkers (Not Crisps)Nicholas D. Richards
    |  ||+* Walkers (Not Crisps)Peter
    |  |||`* Walkers (Not Crisps)Tone
    |  ||| `- Walkers (Not Crisps)Peter
    |  ||`* Walkers (Not Crisps)Sam Plusnet
    |  || +- Walkers (Not Crisps)Nick Odell
    |  || `* Walkers (Not Crisps)Mike Fleming
    |  ||  `- Walkers (Not Crisps)Ahem A Rivet's Shot
    |  |`- Walkers (Not Crisps)Richard Robinson
    |  `- Walkers (Not Crisps)Richard Robinson
    `- Walkers (Not Crisps)Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Pages:12
Walkers (Not Crisps)

<soamri$p5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6083&group=uk.rec.sheds#6083

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Walkers (Not Crisps)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:56:55 +0000
 by: Tone - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:56 UTC

I am unsteady on me pins nowadays, but the best walking aid I have is a
redundant M&S shopping trolley. It is the envy of the court. I can
fairly zoom around, half pushing and half leaning onnit.

Had it for years now. Found it in a York pub car park near the
barracks*. Offered it back to M&S, but they had just closed the York
Central Store and had written it off, so it' smine now.

But that has set me thinking. (A rare event, I admit.)

Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff around
the home.

* Jolly good wheeze when pissed. Nick a shopping trolley from York town
centre, push it nearly all the way back to the barracks, then chicken
out before you get to the guardroom and abandon it in a pub carp ark.
Magic! What a great night out! How clever!

Tone

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<XnsADF49D146392FFactura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6084&group=uk.rec.sheds#6084

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 15:26:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 15:26 UTC

Tone <email@address.com> wrote in news:soamri$p5a$1@dont-email.me:

> I am unsteady on me pins nowadays, but the best walking aid I have is a
> redundant M&S shopping trolley. It is the envy of the court. I can
> fairly zoom around, half pushing and half leaning onnit.

Likewise. I stagger to the horriblemarket using my stick and then get
meself a trolley and I whizz round the aisles. I can even use it to hold
me up while I have a natter with the lasses at the butcher's counter -
always good for a larf, they are.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<7cphqgdp9er7vpco7ljmim1055rentfbkv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6085&group=uk.rec.sheds#6085

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 10:35:01 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 15:35 UTC

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:56:55 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
>Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
>'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
>repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
>walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff around
>the home.
>Tone

The cost of safety stickers and disclaimers <in several languages>
would be prohibitive.
..... not to mention liability insurance.
John T.

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<ei1iqgpid1494a50vtfgae3gus9r3h4jnr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6086&group=uk.rec.sheds#6086

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 18:02:35 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:02 UTC

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:56:55 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>I am unsteady on me pins nowadays, but the best walking aid I have is a
>redundant M&S shopping trolley. It is the envy of the court. I can
>fairly zoom around, half pushing and half leaning onnit.
>
>Had it for years now. Found it in a York pub car park near the
>barracks*. Offered it back to M&S, but they had just closed the York
>Central Store and had written it off, so it' smine now.
>
>But that has set me thinking. (A rare event, I admit.)
>
>Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
>Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
>'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
>repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
>walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff around
>the home.
>
>* Jolly good wheeze when pissed. Nick a shopping trolley from York town
>centre, push it nearly all the way back to the barracks, then chicken
>out before you get to the guardroom and abandon it in a pub carp ark.
>Magic! What a great night out! How clever!

Deep Ends IMO

On the topography on the one hand and on the enthusiasm of the local
authority for keeping the roads and pavements in good repair.

I think shopping trolleys are brilliant for helping one in getting
round the horriblemarkets and I now automatically pick a shallow one
even if I'm only buying a few things: my days of carrying a basket
around the store are long gone. Now that I'm a convert to walking-pole
walking, I shove the poles (not Poles) in the trolley and glide around
the store as happy as a sandboy[1]

But that's on the smooth, polished, level floors of the horriblemarket
and the well-maintained asphalt of the carp ark. I would hate to try
and navigate my way over the cracked pavements and potholed roads
around here. Instead of supporting me, I would be supporting those
silly little wheels and constantly trying to lug them out of the traps
they would keep running into. I reckon I'd do myself a mischief that
way. And that's before I tell you that I live on one of the steepest
stretches of road in Wet Yorks.

Nick
[1]What is a sandboy? Am I going to get cancelled for mentioning it?

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<sob1rf$bp4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6087&group=uk.rec.sheds#6087

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:04:30 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:04 UTC

On 02/12/2021 15:35, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:56:55 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:
>
>> Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
>> Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
>> 'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
>> repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
>> walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff around
>> the home.
>> Tone
>

> The cost of safety stickers and disclaimers <in several languages>
> would be prohibitive.
> ..... not to mention liability insurance.

At least you wouldn't want 3'rd party. fire and theft.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<sob2np$jvu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6088&group=uk.rec.sheds#6088

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:19:42 +0000
 by: Tone - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:19 UTC

On 02/12/2021 15:35, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:56:55 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:
>
>> Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
>> Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
>> 'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
>> repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
>> walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff around
>> the home.
>> Tone
>

> The cost of safety stickers and disclaimers <in several languages>
> would be prohibitive.
> .... not to mention liability insurance.
> John T.

But you don't need all that in a soup a marquette.

Tone

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<sob2vc$o1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6089&group=uk.rec.sheds#6089

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:23:44 +0000
 by: Tone - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:23 UTC

On 02/12/2021 18:02, Nick Odell wrote:
> But that's on the smooth, polished, level floors of the horriblemarket
> and the well-maintained asphalt of the carp ark. I would hate to try
> and navigate my way over the cracked pavements and potholed roads
> around here. Instead of supporting me, I would be supporting those
> silly little wheels and constantly trying to lug them out of the traps
> they would keep running into. I reckon I'd do myself a mischief that
> way. And that's before I tell you that I live on one of the steepest
> stretches of road in Wet Yorks.
>
> Nick

I was thinking of internal usage.

> [1]What is a sandboy? Am I going to get cancelled for mentioning it?

Apparently a boy who provided/swept up sand* for/from the floors of
inns. They were paid in beer and often found loose change amidst the
sloppage/spittage.

*I gooved it was sawdust, but there y'go.

Tone

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<XnsADF4BB60CC6BBFactura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6090&group=uk.rec.sheds#6090

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:25:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:25 UTC

Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in

> [1]What is a sandboy?

Happy.
HTH

--
Peter
-----

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<Go8qJ.29952$0Ox6.20317@fx04.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6091&group=uk.rec.sheds#6091

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:38:30 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:38 UTC

On 02-Dec-21 18:23, Tone wrote:
> On 02/12/2021 18:02, Nick Odell wrote:
>> But that's on the smooth, polished, level floors of the horriblemarket
>> and the well-maintained asphalt of the carp ark. I would hate to try
>> and navigate my way over the cracked pavements and potholed roads
>> around here. Instead of supporting me, I would be supporting those
>> silly little wheels and constantly trying to lug them out of the traps
>> they would keep running into. I reckon I'd do myself a mischief that
>> way. And that's before I tell you that I live on one of the steepest
>> stretches of road in Wet Yorks.
>>
>> Nick
>
> I was thinking of internal usage.

Not to be taken internally.

Actually I think Nick has a point.
Whilst refurbishing them, put some broader inflatable tyres on & turn it
into an All Terrain Walker.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<rd5iqgthm1ktq0hbb0rvqpg5qffeptrdj1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6092&group=uk.rec.sheds#6092

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 18:53:07 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:53 UTC

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:23:44 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:

>On 02/12/2021 18:02, Nick Odell wrote:
>> But that's on the smooth, polished, level floors of the horriblemarket
>> and the well-maintained asphalt of the carp ark. I would hate to try
>> and navigate my way over the cracked pavements and potholed roads
>> around here. Instead of supporting me, I would be supporting those
>> silly little wheels and constantly trying to lug them out of the traps
>> they would keep running into. I reckon I'd do myself a mischief that
>> way. And that's before I tell you that I live on one of the steepest
>> stretches of road in Wet Yorks.
>>
>> Nick
>
>I was thinking of internal usage.

Bloomin' 'eck, Tone. An' I useter think those paracetamol caplets were
a bit hard to swallow.

Nick

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<XnsADF4C03F1AEFCFactura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6093&group=uk.rec.sheds#6093

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:53:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:53 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote in news:Go8qJ.29952$0Ox6.20317@fx04.ams1:

>>> Nick
>>
>> I was thinking of internal usage.
>
> Not to be taken internally.
>
> Actually I think Nick has a point.
> Whilst refurbishing them, put some broader inflatable tyres on & turn it
> into an All Terrain Walker.

Tracks, maybe. Or those special 3-in-1 wheels that can go up stairs (FCVO
stairs). And a motor or two.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<20211202215852.6c5a92f9276667f39ff49224@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6094&group=uk.rec.sheds#6094

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 21:58:52 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 21:58 UTC

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:25:13 -0000 (UTC)
Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:

> Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in
>
> > [1]What is a sandboy?
>
> Happy.
> HTH

Other Mr Men are available
(bagsy me Grumpy)

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<socot4$bfa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6095&group=uk.rec.sheds#6095

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 09:44:00 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 09:44 UTC

You are not the first one to accept this, though one does have to have half
decent footways and avoid trolleys with the wonky wheel or you walk around
in circles. In a way you need something like a giant baby stroller type of
thing I feel, this would have the added convenience of many places to hang
bags, and a ready built bulldozer effect when trying to walk down cluttered
footways with tables and chairs all over the place.Its one drawback might be
to that at a nearby shelf and getting in and out of it.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tone" <email@address.com> wrote in message
>I am unsteady on me pins nowadays, but the best walking aid I have is a
>redundant M&S shopping trolley. It is the envy of the court. I can fairly
>zoom around, half pushing and half leaning onnit.
>
> Had it for years now. Found it in a York pub car park near the barracks*.
> Offered it back to M&S, but they had just closed the York Central Store
> and had written it off, so it' smine now.
>
> But that has set me thinking. (A rare event, I admit.)
>
> Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
> Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old 'uns
> easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
> repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
> walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff around
> the home.
>
> * Jolly good wheeze when pissed. Nick a shopping trolley from York town
> centre, push it nearly all the way back to the barracks, then chicken out
> before you get to the guardroom and abandon it in a pub carp ark. Magic!
> What a great night out! How clever!
>
> Tone

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<socp3f$cs0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6096&group=uk.rec.sheds#6096

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 09:47:22 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 09:47 UTC

Bottom half of a dalek perhaps? The whole issue with frames is the angle to
the front wheels, a lack of brakes and the wheelbase.
I know a number of people my age who need personal air bags to be fitted.

"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 02/12/2021 15:35, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:56:55 +0000, Tone <email@address.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
>>> Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
>>> 'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
>>> repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
>>> walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff around
>>> the home.
>>> Tone
>>

>> The cost of safety stickers and disclaimers <in several languages>
>> would be prohibitive.
>> ..... not to mention liability insurance.
>
> At least you wouldn't want 3'rd party. fire and theft.
>
> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<sod846$h0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6103&group=uk.rec.sheds#6103

From: firu.to...@gmail.com (Firu)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 14:03:50 +0000
 by: Firu - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 14:03 UTC

On 02/12/2021 14:56, Tone wrote:
> * Jolly good wheeze when pissed. Nick a shopping trolley from York town
> centre, push it nearly all the way back to the barracks, then chicken
> out before you get to the guardroom and abandon it in a pub carp ark.
> Magic! What a great night out! How clever!

Put pissed mate in a trolley, push him to barracks, get him out to
stagger past guardroom. Trolley in the Car Park......

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<j0uqrjFm067U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6105&group=uk.rec.sheds#6105

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 15:19:15 +0000
 by: ChrisND@privacy.net - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 15:19 UTC

On 03/12/2021 09:47, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> Bottom half of a dalek perhaps? The whole issue with frames is the angle to
> the front wheels, a lack of brakes and the wheelbase.
> I know a number of people my age who need personal air bags to be fitted.
> Brian

My local has a whole Dalek for sale if that helps?
Yes, it is a 'proper one' as seen on tv
HTH, C

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<j0ustgFme66U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6108&group=uk.rec.sheds#6108

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 15:54:21 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 15:54 UTC

On 03/12/2021 14:03, Firu wrote:
> On 02/12/2021 14:56, Tone wrote:
>> * Jolly good wheeze when pissed. Nick a shopping trolley from York
>> town centre, push it nearly all the way back to the barracks, then
>> chicken out before you get to the guardroom and abandon it in a pub
>> carp ark. Magic! What a great night out! How clever!
>
> Put pissed mate in a trolley, push him to barracks, get him out to
> stagger past guardroom. Trolley in the Car Park......

That sounds like the voice of experience.

Have you seen my T-shirt?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<R9adndXWAJct9Df8nZ2dnUU78T-dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6114&group=uk.rec.sheds#6114

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 13:02:08 -0600
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 19:02 UTC

ChrisND@privacy.net said:
> On 03/12/2021 09:47, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> Bottom half of a dalek perhaps? The whole issue with frames is the angle to
>> the front wheels, a lack of brakes and the wheelbase.
>> I know a number of people my age who need personal air bags to be fitted.
>> Brian
>>
> My local has a whole Dalek for sale if that helps?
> Yes, it is a 'proper one' as seen on tv
> HTH, C

Dalek walkingframes ? Ooh yeah.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<e6ZoWWAoeyqhFA+k@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6118&group=uk.rec.sheds#6118

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 08:32:40 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 08:32 UTC

In article <sod846$h0p$1@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu.toddo@gmail.com> on
Fri, 3 Dec 2021 at 14:03:50 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 02/12/2021 14:56, Tone wrote:
>> * Jolly good wheeze when pissed. Nick a shopping trolley from York town
>> centre, push it nearly all the way back to the barracks, then chicken
>> out before you get to the guardroom and abandon it in a pub carp ark.
>> Magic! What a great night out! How clever!
>
>Put pissed mate in a trolley, push him to barracks, get him out to
>stagger past guardroom. Trolley in the Car Park......

Is it still there?

Just asking for a friend.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<j11bdrF67e9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6124&group=uk.rec.sheds#6124

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 14:14:18 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 14:14 UTC

On 02/12/2021 14:56, Tone wrote:

> Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
> Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
> 'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
> repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
> walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff around
> the home.

It's partly the height of the trolley innit. You can rest your weight
through your forearms on a trolley whereas with yer average walking aid
(and I speak only from an observer's POV here) the aidee is putting
their weight through their hands and arms.

What you'd want is a short wheelbase version for added manoeuvrability
with proper padding along the upper edge of the basket and wheels which
are a bit bigger (diameter and width). Not inflatable tyres though, you
don't want punctures. Also make the height adjustable in 2cm increments.

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<sog7v4$t2k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6129&group=uk.rec.sheds#6129

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:19:38 +0000
 by: Tone - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:19 UTC

On 04/12/2021 14:14, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 02/12/2021 14:56, Tone wrote:
>>
>> Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
>> Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
>> 'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
>> repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
>> walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff
>> around the home.
>
> It's partly the height of the trolley innit. You can rest your weight
> through your forearms on a trolley whereas with yer average walking aid
> (and I speak only from an observer's POV here) the aidee is putting
> their weight through their hands and arms.
>
> What you'd want is a short wheelbase version for added manoeuvrability
> with proper padding along the upper edge of the basket and wheels which
> are a bit bigger (diameter and width). Not inflatable tyres though, you
> don't want punctures. Also make the height adjustable in 2cm increments.

When do we start production?

I'll be test pilot.

Tone

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<m_PqJ.977531$LNrd.376033@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6135&group=uk.rec.sheds#6135

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 20:14:10 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 20:14 UTC

On 04-Dec-21 14:14, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 02/12/2021 14:56, Tone wrote:
>>
>> Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
>> Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
>> 'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
>> repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
>> walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff
>> around the home.
>
> It's partly the height of the trolley innit. You can rest your weight
> through your forearms on a trolley whereas with yer average walking aid
> (and I speak only from an observer's POV here) the aidee is putting
> their weight through their hands and arms.
>
> What you'd want is a short wheelbase version for added manoeuvrability
> with proper padding along the upper edge of the basket and wheels which
> are a bit bigger (diameter and width). Not inflatable tyres though, you
> don't want punctures. Also make the height adjustable in 2cm increments.

I think you do want inflatables - or at least them tyres filled with foam.
Trolleys don't have any suspension &, on anything less than a perfectly
flat surface, the vibrations 'll do your wrists & arms in - if you're
leaning on it for support.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<smmnqgh49qliv9lobr49478qvs1legbdk5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6140&group=uk.rec.sheds#6140

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 21:20:17 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 21:20 UTC

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 20:14:10 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 04-Dec-21 14:14, Mike Fleming wrote:
>> On 02/12/2021 14:56, Tone wrote:
>>>
>>> Given the inadequacies of most walking frames, especially top heavy
>>> Zimmers and those 'orrible folding chair conversion types that us old
>>> 'uns easily fall over, I'm wondering whether there is any mileage in
>>> repairing/salvaging old shopping trolleys and offering them as
>>> walking/carrying aids. They are certainly useful for moving stuff
>>> around the home.
>>
>> It's partly the height of the trolley innit. You can rest your weight
>> through your forearms on a trolley whereas with yer average walking aid
>> (and I speak only from an observer's POV here) the aidee is putting
>> their weight through their hands and arms.
>>
>> What you'd want is a short wheelbase version for added manoeuvrability
>> with proper padding along the upper edge of the basket and wheels which
>> are a bit bigger (diameter and width). Not inflatable tyres though, you
>> don't want punctures. Also make the height adjustable in 2cm increments.
>
>I think you do want inflatables - or at least them tyres filled with foam.
>Trolleys don't have any suspension &, on anything less than a perfectly
>flat surface, the vibrations 'll do your wrists & arms in - if you're
>leaning on it for support.

I'd go with inflatables myself - which automatically blow up to the
size of tractor tyres on contact with water so that if it goes off
meandering erratically into the canal, at least there's something
floaty to hang on to until they come and fish you out.

Nick

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<sohjt1$l2t$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6150&group=uk.rec.sheds#6150

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 05:49:21 +0000
 by: Tone - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 05:49 UTC

On 04/12/2021 21:20, Nick Odell wrote:
>> I think you do want inflatables - or at least them tyres filled with foam.
>> Trolleys don't have any suspension &, on anything less than a perfectly
>> flat surface, the vibrations 'll do your wrists & arms in - if you're
>> leaning on it for support.
> I'd go with inflatables myself - which automatically blow up to the
> size of tractor tyres on contact with water so that if it goes off
> meandering erratically into the canal, at least there's something
> floaty to hang on to until they come and fish you out.
>
> Nick

But that would mean the trolley would invert in the water like
heliocopeters did when their wheel-mounted flotation gear went orft.

It's damn difficult getting out of an upside down trolley under water.
Takes a lot of training.

Tone

Re: Walkers (Not Crisps)

<XnsADF769B07E104Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6155&group=uk.rec.sheds#6155

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 10:23:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 10:23 UTC

Tone <email@address.com> wrote in news:sohjt1$l2t$4@dont-email.me:

> On 04/12/2021 21:20, Nick Odell wrote:
>>> I think you do want inflatables - or at least them tyres filled with
>>> foam. Trolleys don't have any suspension &, on anything less than a
>>> perfectly flat surface, the vibrations 'll do your wrists & arms in
>>> - if you're leaning on it for support.
>> I'd go with inflatables myself - which automatically blow up to the
>> size of tractor tyres on contact with water so that if it goes off
>> meandering erratically into the canal, at least there's something
>> floaty to hang on to until they come and fish you out.
>>
>> Nick
>
> But that would mean the trolley would invert in the water like
> heliocopeters did when their wheel-mounted flotation gear went orft.
>
> It's damn difficult getting out of an upside down trolley under water.
> Takes a lot of training.

Probably best, then, if you're pushing a supermarket trolley, always to
wear a lifejacket. I'll mention it to SWMBO.

--
Peter
-----