Never argue with a woman when she's tired -- or rested.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 months

SubjectAuthor
* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsAlan Jones
+* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsRecliner
|`* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsAlan Jones
| `- No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsRecliner
+* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsBob
|+- No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsArthur Figgis
|`* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
| `* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsSam Wilson
|  +* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsRecliner
|  |`- No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
|  `* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
|   `* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsArthur Figgis
|    `* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
|     +* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsArthur Figgis
|     |+* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsClank
|     ||+* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
|     |||`* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsRolf Mantel
|     ||| `- No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
|     ||`- No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsArthur Figgis
|     |`- No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
|     `* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsBob
|      `* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
|       `* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsBob
|        `* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
|         `- No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsBob
+- No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsArthur Figgis
`* No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley
 `* eat me was, No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsJohn Levine
  +- eat me was, No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsBob
  `- eat me was, No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 monthsMuttley

Pages:12
Re: No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 months

<u71r5o$3bkhg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61648&group=uk.railway#61648

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 months
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:59:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:59 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 18:04:55 +0200
Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:
>Am 21.06.2023 um 17:32 schrieb Muttley@dastardlyhq.com:
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:12:59 -0000 (UTC)
>> Clank <clank75@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Indeed. In general, the vast majority of people in Germany and elsewhere are
>
>>> law-abiding, and a sign saying "you're not allowed" with some tape is all
>that
>>> is required to stop them. In a situation like pandemic control, stopping the
>
>>> vast majority is what you're aiming for, and the minority of inveterate
>>> knobheads who think they only need to play by the rules of civilised society
>
>>> when they're enforced at gunpoint are not really terribly important.
>>
>> Ignoring stupid laws doesn't make you a knobhead, it makes you a thinking
>> human not a dumb sheep. Standing like a gormless halfwit at a crossing when
>> there are no other vehicles in sight is cretinous.
>
>Yet my son has to join a reeducation camp or lose his driver's licence
>for crossing a pedestrian/cycle crossing with his bicycle at 'red'.

Were there pedestrians on it at the time?

Re: No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 months

<u71riv$3bm9m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61653&group=uk.railway#61653

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:06:55 -0000 (UTC)
<1hg18il5eb9uvt0676778ipvrvu6jsn9ds@4ax.com> <u5qk64$174pv$1@dont-email.me>
<u5qq8m$17q2f$5@dont-email.me> <u5uoht$1s11t$1@dont-email.me>
<u61re0$2a5cc$1@dont-email.me> <u622sj$2b22g$5@dont-email.me>
<u62co2$2cbk3$1@dont-email.me> <u66o2f$32784$1@dont-email.me>
<u66qh0$32vcj$2@dont-email.me> <u672c2$33uip$1@dont-email.me>
<bc3e8id2q4oou63ts08pe6v06meebkqc9t@4ax.com> <u673qi$3442v$1@dont-email.me>
<457e8i9avoff1sbpbl3eqb65vcfns5200f@4ax.com> <u67h7b$35kl3$3@dont-email.me>
<u6996t$3hj0k$1@dont-email.me>
<11c1f06d-bd78-711c-5dad-553ecfe4001f@exospan.com>
<u6mjkd$1kahm$4@dont-email.me> <u6n7e4$1mh6o$1@dont-email.me>
<u6phki$22lfa$1@dont-email.me> <u6prgh$23l3h$1@dont-email.me>
<woCdncHcgJcEGg35nZ2dnZfqn_Rh4p2d@brightview.co.uk>
<u6sh11$2fmhq$1@dont-email.me>
<u70r7u$37n58$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:06 UTC

On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:54:54 +0200
Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
>On 20.06.23 17:36, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:51:36 +0100
>> Arthur Figgis <afiggis@example.invalid> wrote:
>cars
>>> on
>>>
>>> There were plenty pictures of minor border crossings being closed,
>>> though I don't think anyone was seriously proposing cold war
>>> intra-German border style measures.
>>>

>https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/free-movement_swiss-in-talks-with-neighbo
>
>>> urs-about-re-opening-borders/45756568
>>
>> Wow, a couple of bits of plastic tape, that'll stop em! :)
>>
>> Clearly just gesture politics in action.
>
>Those are only the obvious indicators that it is supposed to be closed.
>The crossings are generally monitored by CCTV, so any person attempting
>to cross would be promptly intercepted by authorities and find
>themselves in a world of legal trouble.

Unless they stationed some bored plods at every crossing point I very much
doubt the sweeney would suddenly pull up with the blues going.

Re: No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 months

<u729hr$3dcod$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61658&group=uk.railway#61658

From: bob...@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 22:05:14 +0200
<1hg18il5eb9uvt0676778ipvrvu6jsn9ds@4ax.com> <u5qk64$174pv$1@dont-email.me>
<u5qq8m$17q2f$5@dont-email.me> <u5uoht$1s11t$1@dont-email.me>
<u61re0$2a5cc$1@dont-email.me> <u622sj$2b22g$5@dont-email.me>
<u62co2$2cbk3$1@dont-email.me> <u66o2f$32784$1@dont-email.me>
<u66qh0$32vcj$2@dont-email.me> <u672c2$33uip$1@dont-email.me>
<bc3e8id2q4oou63ts08pe6v06meebkqc9t@4ax.com> <u673qi$3442v$1@dont-email.me>
<457e8i9avoff1sbpbl3eqb65vcfns5200f@4ax.com> <u67h7b$35kl3$3@dont-email.me>
<u6996t$3hj0k$1@dont-email.me>
<11c1f06d-bd78-711c-5dad-553ecfe4001f@exospan.com>
<u6mjkd$1kahm$4@dont-email.me> <u6n7e4$1mh6o$1@dont-email.me>
<u6phki$22lfa$1@dont-email.me> <u6prgh$23l3h$1@dont-email.me>
<woCdncHcgJcEGg35nZ2dnZfqn_Rh4p2d@brightview.co.uk>
<u6sh11$2fmhq$1@dont-email.me> <u70r7u$37n58$1@dont-email.me>
<u71riv$3bm9m$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Bob - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 20:05 UTC

On 22.06.23 18:06, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:54:54 +0200
> Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
>> On 20.06.23 17:36, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> cars

>> https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/free-movement_swiss-in-talks-with-neighbo

>>> Wow, a couple of bits of plastic tape, that'll stop em! :)
>>>
>>> Clearly just gesture politics in action.
>>
>> Those are only the obvious indicators that it is supposed to be closed.
>> The crossings are generally monitored by CCTV, so any person attempting
>> to cross would be promptly intercepted by authorities and find
>> themselves in a world of legal trouble.
>
> Unless they stationed some bored plods at every crossing point I very much
> doubt the sweeney would suddenly pull up with the blues going.

A bit of sleuthing on the internet suggests the crossing in the picture
is this one [1] between Weil am Rhein and Riehen, in Basel, on Erlenweg.
It's about 1 km in each direction from both a Swiss and German police
station, and 750 m from the manned border crossing post on Weilstrasse.
As a pedestrian only crossing, police from any of those locations would
have no trouble picking up someone illegally crossing the border on foot.

[1] https://goo.gl/maps/qcdXMGFfPNaH4NwNA

Robin

Re: No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 months

<u74ds6$3orco$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61669&group=uk.railway#61669

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:31:18 -0000 (UTC)
<1hg18il5eb9uvt0676778ipvrvu6jsn9ds@4ax.com> <u5qk64$174pv$1@dont-email.me>
<u5qq8m$17q2f$5@dont-email.me> <u5uoht$1s11t$1@dont-email.me>
<u61re0$2a5cc$1@dont-email.me> <u622sj$2b22g$5@dont-email.me>
<u62co2$2cbk3$1@dont-email.me> <u66o2f$32784$1@dont-email.me>
<u66qh0$32vcj$2@dont-email.me> <u672c2$33uip$1@dont-email.me>
<bc3e8id2q4oou63ts08pe6v06meebkqc9t@4ax.com> <u673qi$3442v$1@dont-email.me>
<457e8i9avoff1sbpbl3eqb65vcfns5200f@4ax.com> <u67h7b$35kl3$3@dont-email.me>
<u6996t$3hj0k$1@dont-email.me>
<11c1f06d-bd78-711c-5dad-553ecfe4001f@exospan.com>
<u6mjkd$1kahm$4@dont-email.me> <u6n7e4$1mh6o$1@dont-email.me>
<u6phki$22lfa$1@dont-email.me> <u6prgh$23l3h$1@dont-email.me>
<woCdncHcgJcEGg35nZ2dnZfqn_Rh4p2d@brightview.co.uk>
<u6sh11$2fmhq$1@dont-email.me> <u70r7u$37n58$1@dont-email.me>
<u71riv$3bm9m$1@dont-email.me>
<u729hr$3dcod$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:31 UTC

On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 22:05:14 +0200
Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
>On 22.06.23 18:06, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> Unless they stationed some bored plods at every crossing point I very much
>> doubt the sweeney would suddenly pull up with the blues going.
>
>A bit of sleuthing on the internet suggests the crossing in the picture
>is this one [1] between Weil am Rhein and Riehen, in Basel, on Erlenweg.
>It's about 1 km in each direction from both a Swiss and German police
>station, and 750 m from the manned border crossing post on Weilstrasse.
>As a pedestrian only crossing, police from any of those locations would
>have no trouble picking up someone illegally crossing the border on foot.

Thats a long porous border. If someone wanted to cross without being seen
they'd have zero problem so long as they didn't mind getting their shoes a
bit muddy.

Re: No Amsterdam Eurostar for 12 months

<u74g6l$3p21p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=61670&group=uk.railway#61670

From: bob...@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 18:11:01 +0200
[...]
 by: Bob - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 16:11 UTC

On 23.06.23 17:31, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 22:05:14 +0200
> Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
>> On 22.06.23 18:06, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>> Unless they stationed some bored plods at every crossing point I very much
>>> doubt the sweeney would suddenly pull up with the blues going.
>>
>> A bit of sleuthing on the internet suggests the crossing in the picture
>> is this one [1] between Weil am Rhein and Riehen, in Basel, on Erlenweg.
>> It's about 1 km in each direction from both a Swiss and German police
>> station, and 750 m from the manned border crossing post on Weilstrasse.
>> As a pedestrian only crossing, police from any of those locations would
>> have no trouble picking up someone illegally crossing the border on foot.
>
> Thats a long porous border. If someone wanted to cross without being seen
> they'd have zero problem so long as they didn't mind getting their shoes a
> bit muddy.

Long it is not. The only parts of the border between CH and De that are
not either the Rhine or the Bodensee are the strech within Basel, the
area around Schaffhausen (including the Büsingen enclave and a short
strech in Konstanz.

Robin