No one wants war. -- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

SubjectAuthor
* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Recliner
|+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
||`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Graeme Wall
|| `* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
||  +* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Graeme Wall
||  |`- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
||  `- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Arthur Figgis
|+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
||+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Scott
|||`- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
||`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
|| +* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Muttley
|| |`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Scott
|| | +* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
|| | +* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Coffee
|| | `- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
|| `- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
|+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Bevan Price
||`- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
|`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Robert
| +- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
| `- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Scott
+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Scott
|`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
| `* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Scott
|  `- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Anna Noyd-Dryver
+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Sam Wilson
|`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
| `* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Tweed
|  +* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
|  |+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Tweed
|  ||`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Jack Harry Teesdale
|  || `- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Tweed
|  |+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
|  ||+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Certes
|  |||`- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
|  ||`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Bob
|  || +- SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Scott
|  || `* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
|  ||  `* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Bob
|  ||   `* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
|  ||    `* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Bob
|  ||     +* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Graeme Wall
|  ||     `* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Roland Perry
|  |+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Ken
|  |`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Sam Wilson
|  `* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Coffee
+* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!MB
`* SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!Recliner

Pages:123456
Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua0iad$28tm1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62854&group=uk.railway#62854

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:11:25 -0000 (UTC)
<kih4ci1bmq493gurf0r3rsinj4asdpjn8p@4ax.com>
<u9tksu$1s7pk$1@dont-email.me>
<l4m4cittn3tro32kjcpct6a0gloo0pq5rj@4ax.com>
<0L0sq4r+tlwkFAtD@perry.uk>
<u9tn8e$1sf46$1@dont-email.me>
<1ctc$W1aH1wkFAs6@perry.uk>
<u9vplj$26e75$1@dont-email.me>
<AA1R4U67C6wkFA7k@perry.uk>
sha1:uV8j6754kPzYRU5eCc5R+Q+dJ5A=
 by: Bob - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:11 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <u9vplj$26e75$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:10:42 on Fri, 28 Jul
> 2023, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:
>> On 28.07.23 07:27, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <u9tn8e$1sf46$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:17:18 on Thu, 27 Jul
>>> 2023, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:

>>> I had an interesting discussion with a local politician who was I
>>> think wondering about running for Mayor of Cambs+Peterborough (two
>>> very contrasting demographics, incidentally, and as I point out from
>>> time to time Peterborough is north of Wolverhampton, geographically).
>>> His view was it resembled a poisoned chalice, because Cambridge and
>>> the south were focussed on becoming "Outer Islington" and home to
>>> lovies and hi-tech industry (see also Gove this week who also seems
>>> to have discovered the buzzphrase "UK's Silicon Valley" 20yrs after
>>> everyone else), whereas everything to the mid/north was farmland
>>> whose inhabitants rather resent the "ripple effect" of house prices
>>> and so on, while all the development funds seemed to be spent in the south.
>>
>> A form of that problem exists in any level of government. They Mayor of
>> London has to deal with the differing needs of the super wealthy
>> neighbourhoods of Mayfair or Chelsea, the business districts of the
>> City or Canary Wharf, the poorer areas of places like Tottenham, and
>> the suburbanites of Bromley.
>>
>> The different demographic pressures you highlight between the needs of
>> those places that are within the sphere of influence of Cambridge and
>> its economic bubble, and those in rural areas or other more urban areas
>> in the vicinity won't go away just because some lines on a map are
>> drawn. By splitting Peterborough and environs away from Cambridge
>
> They can't make their mind up about this. Peterborough is half new town,
> half Midlands city, and has absolutely nothing in common with
> Cambridgeshire. But they try to force them together to get critical mass
> in certain services, such as the Police. Who recently decided to in
> effect throw in the towel and rather than have several divisions for
> different bits of their area, have reinvented an earlier model of
> "Peterborough City and suburbs" and "Everything else".
>
>> and environs has the effect that the residents of the former will still
>> experience the economic impact of the latter but will have no
>> democratic input into decisions made about the latter at anything below
>> the Westminster level.
>
> The economic impact of Cambridge itself on Peterborough is virtually
> zero. It's simply too far away and a completely different demographic.
> Although the ripple is getting closer: now that so many people from
> Cambridge commute to London, leaving vacancies for people living in
> mid-Cambs to commute there, with employers in mid-Cambs therefore hiring
> from as far away as Downham Market and March, eventually that will
> abstract workers and housing from Peterborough itself (unless the ripple
> never gets that far because of post-Covid issues).

The point of regional level government is not about a particular city or
pair of cities. It is about managing the broader area comprising cities and
the “hinterland” that are within the broader region in which they exist. In
the context of Cambridge and Peterborough, that includes places like
Huntington, March, St Neots etc. where the inhabitants are not exclusively
tied to one or other.

>> With modern levels of mobility, the economic influence of one town or
>> city on its neighbours in unavoidable, and for regional government to
>> actually be an effective way of balancing the needs and wants of people
>> living in a region, the regional government needs to have
>> representation for all of the relevant people. There is also the case
>> of the costs associaed with patterns of living being externalised. If
>> someone lives in somewhere in the Peterborough sphere but works in the
>> Cambridge sphere, they will be making demands of services provided by
>> the Cambridge sphere (transport infrastructure, as well as the utility
>> demands created by their workplace)
>
> Oddly enough, both of those are paid for at the point of delivery. And
> that should be sufficient.

The building of the misguided bus was not paid for at point of delivery.
The subsidy of socially necessary but uneconomic bus services in the
suburban and rural areas in Cambridgeshire and beyond are not paid for at
point of delivery. A whole raft of regional level infrastructure and
investment fails to happen because they need something bigger than a county
to provide but Westminster fails to provide.

>> without contributing to either the decision making or financial
>> arrangements to provide those facilities.
>
> That's the reason they sometimes try to charge local income tax in the
> USA based on where people's offices are, not where they live. I'm far
> from convinced that abstracting that revenue from the rural areas is a
> good idea.

The US has specific tax raising powers at federal, state and county/city
level so that regional investment can be made at a regional level. In the
UK everything has to go through Westminster.

>> If the local levels of government do not allow these regional level
>> issues or conflicts to be resolved at a regional level, then the only
>> venue they can be resolved at is the Westminster level. The fact that
>> places where there is a strong regional level government in the UK
>> (Wales, Scotland, London) have experienced significant levels of
>> investment in public services in a way that places not covered by such
>> a level of government (the rest of England) have not suggests that on
>> ballance the geographically larger but less homogeneous regional scale
>> does a better job than the county or district scale.
>
> No, it just means they get loads of subsidies paid for by the others.

They get things paid for by others because they have a strong enough
regional government to make that happen. Counties or districts are too
feeble politically to be able to achieve that.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<cbm7cidvprij62au3jndofhtb545jboahd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62855&group=uk.railway#62855

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 16:07:14 +0100
 by: Scott - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 15:07 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 10:57:22 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <u9qjtm$1efnr$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:01:58 on Wed, 26 Jul
>2023, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:
>>On 26.07.23 09:30, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <u9qhcv$1e7mp$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:18:55 on Wed, 26 Jul
>>>2023, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:

>>> People can't commute to work on a propulsion component, rather than
>>>a finished product.
>>
>>The statement was "must use your own product" not "must use only your
>>own product".
>
>The statement is clearly not an indication that consumption of one's own
>product is compulsory, otherwise what would someone working for Ford who
>didn't have a driving licence do?
>
>>Ford doesn't make car tyres. I can't drive a Ford car without also
>>using tyres made by someone else in order for it to work.
>
>Irrelevant. And in any event the context is the reputational damage of
>using something other than one's own product, when ones own product is
>perceived by outsiders to be suitable.
>
>What I've been arguing is that rail travel is *not* always suitable for
>Network Rail execs, just as banning train drivers from using buses or
>taxis is absurd.

Is it true there is/was a requirement for bank employees to hold an
account with their own bank and not to hold an account with any other
bank?

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua0u1l$29t92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62858&group=uk.railway#62858

From: Cer...@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 18:31:33 +0100
 by: Certes - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 17:31 UTC

On 28/07/2023 16:07, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 10:57:22 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <u9qjtm$1efnr$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:01:58 on Wed, 26 Jul
>> 2023, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:

>>> The statement was "must use your own product" not "must use only your
>>> own product".
>>
>> The statement is clearly not an indication that consumption of one's own
>> product is compulsory, otherwise what would someone working for Ford who
>> didn't have a driving licence do?
>>
>>> Ford doesn't make car tyres. I can't drive a Ford car without also
>>> using tyres made by someone else in order for it to work.
>>
>> Irrelevant. And in any event the context is the reputational damage of
>> using something other than one's own product, when ones own product is
>> perceived by outsiders to be suitable.
>>
>> What I've been arguing is that rail travel is *not* always suitable for
>> Network Rail execs, just as banning train drivers from using buses or
>> taxis is absurd.
>
> Is it true there is/was a requirement for bank employees to hold an
> account with their own bank and not to hold an account with any other
> bank?

Yes, though I think it was more to prevent fraud or accusations thereof
rather than to test the products.

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<0tv7cidthmqjr73rd4g4pbimk4fg3sg12c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62861&group=uk.railway#62861

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 18:56:40 +0100
References: <gnORY8wORpvkFAUL@perry.uk> <u9m7is$nf2d$1@dont-email.me> <u9m7to$njib$1@dont-email.me> <d39tbi5p3eu3la3nrki04eannlr0im0280@4ax.com> <u9o605$1369u$1@dont-email.me> <u9qm41$1epg5$2@dont-email.me> <u9qq3p$1f2fg$1@dont-email.me> <n3k2cipnseiqval18rv4c2rucn4m57l8vc@4ax.com> <kih4ci1bmq493gurf0r3rsinj4asdpjn8p@4ax.com> <u9tksu$1s7pk$1@dont-email.me> <ktu5citgap8sm1tmno5jccmj9fbb7fjkfu@4ax.com> <ua0563$27iaq$2@dont-email.me> <mge7cih0q7arddg8if3sfj1umd2l1sbngo@4ax.com>
 by: Charles Ellson - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 17:56 UTC

On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:00:45 +0100, Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 11:27:15 +0100, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 28/07/2023 00:21, Charles Ellson wrote:

>>> If it is the English MPs only then that is the English Grand
>>> Committee.

>>> That isn't all that many of them manage to be ignorant about.
>>
>>True.
>
>It's inevitable. In our system, politicians with no relevant work experience get parachuted into senior ministerial
>posts with no warning or time to prepare. They probably know little about the subject area, and have generally received
>no training in how to be a minister. It's not like a normal management position, so even those with management
>experience will be out of their depth.

There is a bit of a difference between initial inexperience and e.g.
fundamental errors such as reference to the "British legal system" by
a Home Secretary or not knowing that an alleged illegality is actually
lawful or vice versa.
<snip>

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<eAVW4s$8CLxkFAh1@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62870&group=uk.railway#62870

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 07:25:00 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 06:25 UTC

In message <ua0u1l$29t92$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:31:33 on Fri, 28 Jul
2023, Certes <Certes@example.org> remarked:

>>> What I've been arguing is that rail travel is *not* always suitable for
>>> Network Rail execs, just as banning train drivers from using buses or
>>> taxis is absurd.

>> Is it true there is/was a requirement for bank employees to hold an
>> account with their own bank and not to hold an account with any other
>> bank?
>
>Yes, though I think it was more to prevent fraud or accusations thereof
>rather than to test the products.

It was absolutely to ensure bank employees had nowhere to stash any
funds they stole/embezzled from the bank (or its customers).

Although the "law biding criminal" meme springs to mind. If they are
going to do either of those things, then they'd lose no sleep at all
opening a 'secret' bank account somewhere else.

Meanwhile, perhaps a better analogy would be bank employees barred from
having a National Savings Account, or ever buying a postal order to send
off to buy things.
--
Roland Perry

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<jPGpLIAwGLxkFAmd@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62871&group=uk.railway#62871

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 07:29:04 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 06:29 UTC

In message <0tv7cidthmqjr73rd4g4pbimk4fg3sg12c@4ax.com>, at 18:56:40 on
Fri, 28 Jul 2023, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
remarked:
>On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:00:45 +0100, Recliner
><recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 11:27:15 +0100, Coffee
>><martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>>True.
>>
>>It's inevitable. In our system, politicians with no relevant work
>>experience get parachuted into senior ministerial
>>posts with no warning or time to prepare. They probably know little
>>about the subject area, and have generally received
>>no training in how to be a minister. It's not like a normal management
>>position, so even those with management
>>experience will be out of their depth.
>>
>There is a bit of a difference between initial inexperience and e.g.
>fundamental errors such as reference to the "British legal system" by
>a Home Secretary or not knowing that an alleged illegality is actually
>lawful or vice versa.
><snip>

It is not a requirement that Ministers are also pedants. So the
occasional slip of the tongue is permitted. However, a Home Office
minister not realising that they should check the credentials of their
immigrant cleaner *even if* it wasn't a law they put through Parliament
themselves, is more about general knowledge of what it means to be an
employer, and is entirely disjoint even from being a party politician.
--
Roland Perry

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua2n70$2jceq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62875&group=uk.railway#62875

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 10:47:13 +0100
<mbrsbihspnenggbdtkm4ll2kqtu0cqdagq@4ax.com> <gnORY8wORpvkFAUL@perry.uk>
<u9m7is$nf2d$1@dont-email.me> <u9m7to$njib$1@dont-email.me>
<d39tbi5p3eu3la3nrki04eannlr0im0280@4ax.com> <u9o605$1369u$1@dont-email.me>
<u9qm41$1epg5$2@dont-email.me> <u9qq3p$1f2fg$1@dont-email.me>
<n3k2cipnseiqval18rv4c2rucn4m57l8vc@4ax.com>
<kih4ci1bmq493gurf0r3rsinj4asdpjn8p@4ax.com> <u9tksu$1s7pk$1@dont-email.me>
<l4m4cittn3tro32kjcpct6a0gloo0pq5rj@4ax.com> <0L0sq4r+tlwkFAtD@perry.uk>
<u9tn8e$1sf46$1@dont-email.me> <1ctc$W1aH1wkFAs6@perry.uk>
<u9vplj$26e75$1@dont-email.me> <AA1R4U67C6wkFA7k@perry.uk>
<ua0iad$28tm1$1@dont-email.me>
 by: ColinR - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 09:47 UTC

On 28/07/2023 15:11, Bob wrote:
> [...]
> suburban and rural areas in Cambridgeshire and beyond are not paid for at
> point of delivery. A whole raft of regional level infrastructure and
> investment fails to happen because they need something bigger than a county
> to provide but Westminster fails to provide.
>
>>> without contributing to either the decision making or financial
>>> arrangements to provide those facilities.
>>
>> That's the reason they sometimes try to charge local income tax in the
>> USA based on where people's offices are, not where they live. I'm far
>> from convinced that abstracting that revenue from the rural areas is a
>> good idea.
>
> The US has specific tax raising powers at federal, state and county/city
> level so that regional investment can be made at a regional level. In the
> UK everything has to go through Westminster.

Unfortunately everything does not go through Westminster, some goes
through Holyrood.

--
Colin

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua2nfg$2jd1l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62878&group=uk.railway#62878

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 10:51:44 +0100
<mbrsbihspnenggbdtkm4ll2kqtu0cqdagq@4ax.com> <gnORY8wORpvkFAUL@perry.uk>
<u9m7is$nf2d$1@dont-email.me> <u9m7to$njib$1@dont-email.me>
<d39tbi5p3eu3la3nrki04eannlr0im0280@4ax.com> <u9o605$1369u$1@dont-email.me>
<u9qm41$1epg5$2@dont-email.me> <u9qq3p$1f2fg$1@dont-email.me>
<n3k2cipnseiqval18rv4c2rucn4m57l8vc@4ax.com>
<kih4ci1bmq493gurf0r3rsinj4asdpjn8p@4ax.com> <u9tksu$1s7pk$1@dont-email.me>
<l4m4cittn3tro32kjcpct6a0gloo0pq5rj@4ax.com> <0L0sq4r+tlwkFAtD@perry.uk>
<u9tn8e$1sf46$1@dont-email.me> <1ctc$W1aH1wkFAs6@perry.uk>
<u9vplj$26e75$1@dont-email.me> <AA1R4U67C6wkFA7k@perry.uk>
<ua0iad$28tm1$1@dont-email.me> <ua2n70$2jceq$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 09:51 UTC

<ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62880&group=uk.railway#62880

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 12:41:07 +0100
 by: Coffee - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:41 UTC

On 29/07/2023 07:29, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <0tv7cidthmqjr73rd4g4pbimk4fg3sg12c@4ax.com>, at 18:56:40 on
> Fri, 28 Jul 2023, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> remarked:
>> On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:00:45 +0100, Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It's inevitable. In our system, politicians with no relevant work
>>> experience get parachuted into senior ministerial
>>> posts with no warning or time to prepare. They probably know little
>>> about the subject area, and have generally received
>>> no training in how to be a minister. It's not like a normal
>>> management position, so even those with management
>>> experience will be out of their depth.
>>>
>> There is a bit of a difference between initial inexperience and e.g.
>> fundamental errors such as reference to the "British legal system" by
>> a Home Secretary or not knowing that an alleged illegality is actually
>> lawful or vice versa.
>> <snip>
>
> It is not a requirement that Ministers are also pedants. So the
> occasional slip of the tongue is permitted. However, a Home Office
> minister not realising that they should check the credentials of their
> immigrant cleaner *even if* it wasn't a law they put through Parliament
> themselves, is more about general knowledge of what it means to be an
> employer, and is entirely disjoint even from being a party politician.

It's also a sign of them not making proper use of their advisors.

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua39tq$2l412$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62883&group=uk.railway#62883

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:06:34 +0100
 by: MB - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:06 UTC

On 24/07/2023 13:08, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
> Network rail executives spend £10000 a week on plane travel mainly on
> routes where they could have taken the train, e.g Birmingham to Glasgow.
> You couldn't make it up!

What surprises me is that no one further down the food chain asked
whether they thought it was a good idea because obviously they were
going to be criticised and ridiculed once it became more widely known.

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua3asp$2l7kl$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62886&group=uk.railway#62886

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:23:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Gd1t8I6hZD3ArHaa3KwDyjlKNoI=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:23 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 24/07/2023 13:08, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
>> Network rail executives spend £10000 a week on plane travel mainly on
>> routes where they could have taken the train, e.g Birmingham to Glasgow.
>> You couldn't make it up!
>

> What surprises me is that no one further down the food chain asked
> whether they thought it was a good idea because obviously they were
> going to be criticised and ridiculed once it became more widely known.

Read my postings in the thread. It's a distorted story with little
substance.

NR's actual spend on domestic flights was a small fraction of the £10k
figure. It was probably between £1k and £2k. Most of the spending was on
international flights.

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<86jacid6opa0di5polpfsraced96q37jph@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62890&group=uk.railway#62890

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:33:12 +0100
References: <u9o605$1369u$1@dont-email.me> <u9qm41$1epg5$2@dont-email.me> <u9qq3p$1f2fg$1@dont-email.me> <n3k2cipnseiqval18rv4c2rucn4m57l8vc@4ax.com> <kih4ci1bmq493gurf0r3rsinj4asdpjn8p@4ax.com> <u9tksu$1s7pk$1@dont-email.me> <l4m4cittn3tro32kjcpct6a0gloo0pq5rj@4ax.com> <0L0sq4r+tlwkFAtD@perry.uk> <u9tn8e$1sf46$1@dont-email.me> <1ctc$W1aH1wkFAs6@perry.uk> <u9vplj$26e75$1@dont-email.me> <AA1R4U67C6wkFA7k@perry.uk> <ua0iad$28tm1$1@dont-email.me> <ua2n70$2jceq$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Charles Ellson - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 17:33 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 10:47:13 +0100, ColinR
<rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>On 28/07/2023 15:11, Bob wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <u9vplj$26e75$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:10:42 on Fri, 28 Jul
>>> 2023, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:

>>> They can't make their mind up about this. Peterborough is half new town,
>>> half Midlands city, and has absolutely nothing in common with
>>> Cambridgeshire. But they try to force them together to get critical mass
>>> in certain services, such as the Police. Who recently decided to in
>>> effect throw in the towel and rather than have several divisions for
>>> different bits of their area, have reinvented an earlier model of
>>> "Peterborough City and suburbs" and "Everything else".

>>> The economic impact of Cambridge itself on Peterborough is virtually
>>> zero. It's simply too far away and a completely different demographic.
>>> Although the ripple is getting closer: now that so many people from
>>> Cambridge commute to London, leaving vacancies for people living in
>>> mid-Cambs to commute there, with employers in mid-Cambs therefore hiring
>>> from as far away as Downham Market and March, eventually that will
>>> abstract workers and housing from Peterborough itself (unless the ripple
>>> never gets that far because of post-Covid issues).
>>
>> The point of regional level government is not about a particular city or
>> pair of cities. It is about managing the broader area comprising cities and
>> the “hinterland” that are within the broader region in which they exist. In
>> the context of Cambridge and Peterborough, that includes places like
>> Huntington, March, St Neots etc. where the inhabitants are not exclusively
>> tied to one or other.

>>> Oddly enough, both of those are paid for at the point of delivery. And
>>> that should be sufficient.
>>
>> The building of the misguided bus was not paid for at point of delivery.
>> The subsidy of socially necessary but uneconomic bus services in the
>> suburban and rural areas in Cambridgeshire and beyond are not paid for at
>> point of delivery. A whole raft of regional level infrastructure and
>> investment fails to happen because they need something bigger than a county
>> to provide but Westminster fails to provide.

>>> That's the reason they sometimes try to charge local income tax in the
>>> USA based on where people's offices are, not where they live. I'm far
>>> from convinced that abstracting that revenue from the rural areas is a
>>> good idea.
>>
>> The US has specific tax raising powers at federal, state and county/city
>> level so that regional investment can be made at a regional level. In the
>> UK everything has to go through Westminster.
>>

>Unfortunately everything does not go through Westminster, some goes
>through Holyrood.

A lot doesn't go through Westminster; it goes in and simply
disappears.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<3ejacil6c9saq9gkj4586b69nlm0spndbq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62891&group=uk.railway#62891

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:36:15 +0100
References: <u9lpjd$l8fi$1@dont-email.me> <u9ma0u$nt8h$1@dont-email.me> <u9mb62$o104$2@dont-email.me> <u9megs$ojkf$1@dont-email.me> <u9mfj6$omu5$1@dont-email.me> <Q5E9$y4mi1vkFAzt@perry.uk> <u9ovgc$15npg$3@dont-email.me> <28sk+II5KMwkFAe7@perry.uk> <u9qhcv$1e7mp$1@dont-email.me> <wtD1KDOEuMwkFAek@perry.uk> <u9qjtm$1efnr$2@dont-email.me> <3KyETHbC4OwkFA9r@perry.uk> <cbm7cidvprij62au3jndofhtb545jboahd@4ax.com> <ua0u1l$29t92$1@dont-email.me> <eAVW4s$8CLxkFAh1@perry.uk>
 by: Charles Ellson - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 17:36 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 07:25:00 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <ua0u1l$29t92$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:31:33 on Fri, 28 Jul
>2023, Certes <Certes@example.org> remarked:

>>> Is it true there is/was a requirement for bank employees to hold an
>>> account with their own bank and not to hold an account with any other
>>> bank?
>>
>>Yes, though I think it was more to prevent fraud or accusations thereof
>>rather than to test the products.
>
>It was absolutely to ensure bank employees had nowhere to stash any
>funds they stole/embezzled from the bank (or its customers).

In pre-DPA/GDPR days it would have enabled their employer to check for
any potentially dodgy income.

>Although the "law biding criminal" meme springs to mind. If they are
>going to do either of those things, then they'd lose no sleep at all
>opening a 'secret' bank account somewhere else.
>
>Meanwhile, perhaps a better analogy would be bank employees barred from
>having a National Savings Account, or ever buying a postal order to send
>off to buy things.

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<WrTkS5CnffxkFAC7@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62899&group=uk.railway#62899

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:40:55 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 05:40 UTC

In message <3ejacil6c9saq9gkj4586b69nlm0spndbq@4ax.com>, at 18:36:15 on
Sat, 29 Jul 2023, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
remarked:
>On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 07:25:00 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <ua0u1l$29t92$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:31:33 on Fri, 28 Jul
>>2023, Certes <Certes@example.org> remarked:

>>>Yes, though I think it was more to prevent fraud or accusations thereof
>>>rather than to test the products.
>>
>>It was absolutely to ensure bank employees had nowhere to stash any
>>funds they stole/embezzled from the bank (or its customers).
>>
>In pre-DPA/GDPR days it would have enabled their employer to check for
>any potentially dodgy income.

I don't think there's anything in DOA/GDPR to prevent them still doing
that, as long as the have the compliance officer's approval.

--
Roland Perry

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<xritCdDjhfxkFAHC@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62900&group=uk.railway#62900

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:42:59 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 05:42 UTC

In message <ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:41:07 on Sat, 29 Jul
2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>> It is not a requirement that Ministers are also pedants. So the
>>occasional slip of the tongue is permitted. However, a Home Office
>>minister not realising that they should check the credentials of their
>>immigrant cleaner *even if* it wasn't a law they put through
>>Parliament themselves, is more about general knowledge of what it
>>means to be an employer, and is entirely disjoint even from being a
>>party politician.
>
>It's also a sign of them not making proper use of their advisors.

If you mean their SPADs, then that's a whole other can of worms (ie
what's their job description regarding the scope of their advice).

Ministers have an office full of civil servants, but often their advice
isn't listened to.
--
Roland Perry

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<msvbcil3ko3b4mfsa37vg4l74f8n84d187@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62902&group=uk.railway#62902

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 07:20:11 +0100
References: <u9mb62$o104$2@dont-email.me> <u9megs$ojkf$1@dont-email.me> <u9mfj6$omu5$1@dont-email.me> <Q5E9$y4mi1vkFAzt@perry.uk> <u9ovgc$15npg$3@dont-email.me> <28sk+II5KMwkFAe7@perry.uk> <u9qhcv$1e7mp$1@dont-email.me> <wtD1KDOEuMwkFAek@perry.uk> <u9qjtm$1efnr$2@dont-email.me> <3KyETHbC4OwkFA9r@perry.uk> <cbm7cidvprij62au3jndofhtb545jboahd@4ax.com> <ua0u1l$29t92$1@dont-email.me> <eAVW4s$8CLxkFAh1@perry.uk> <3ejacil6c9saq9gkj4586b69nlm0spndbq@4ax.com> <WrTkS5CnffxkFAC7@perry.uk>
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:20 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:40:55 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <3ejacil6c9saq9gkj4586b69nlm0spndbq@4ax.com>, at 18:36:15 on
>Sat, 29 Jul 2023, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
>remarked:
>>On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 07:25:00 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message <ua0u1l$29t92$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:31:33 on Fri, 28 Jul
>>>2023, Certes <Certes@example.org> remarked:

>>>It was absolutely to ensure bank employees had nowhere to stash any
>>>funds they stole/embezzled from the bank (or its customers).
>>>
>>In pre-DPA/GDPR days it would have enabled their employer to check for
>>any potentially dodgy income.
>
>I don't think there's anything in DOA/GDPR to prevent them still doing
>that, as long as the have the compliance officer's approval.

It needs compliance with the 7 data principles not just the say so of
their compliance officer. The police or other investigators would
require a warrant or court order for access so an employer should not
be getting any less restriction.

>>>Although the "law biding criminal" meme springs to mind. If they are
>>>going to do either of those things, then they'd lose no sleep at all
>>>opening a 'secret' bank account somewhere else.
>>>
>>>Meanwhile, perhaps a better analogy would be bank employees barred from
>>>having a National Savings Account, or ever buying a postal order to send
>>>off to buy things.

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua80iq$38ea4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62924&group=uk.railway#62924

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:57:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8EbPS3JEmeBMLzZvMi+SM7Vjjrw=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:57 UTC

Nice - thank you.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua80n7$38etn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62925&group=uk.railway#62925

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:00:07 -0000 (UTC)
<u9tksu$1s7pk$1@dont-email.me>
<l4m4cittn3tro32kjcpct6a0gloo0pq5rj@4ax.com>
<0L0sq4r+tlwkFAtD@perry.uk>
<q8n4cih8qjanevh861jfdpvucoaofg4m62@4ax.com>
<u9tnia$1shpe$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:2yeM1AYm28sOzNm/Al4G0qWoJgQ=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:00 UTC

ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
> On 27/07/2023 13:04, Recliner wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 12:56:46 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <l4m4cittn3tro32kjcpct6a0gloo0pq5rj@4ax.com>, at 12:46:50 on
>>> Thu, 27 Jul 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Welcome to devolution. Aren't you relieved they didn't push through
>>> Phase 2, which would have meant mayors like Andy Burnham being entirely
>>> in charge some things too.
>>>
>>> That's not to knock their individual talents, but a comment about the
>>> Balkanisation.
>>>
>>> Where I live the majority of the population are hopelessly confused
>>> about which aspects of life come under the City [it's actually a large
>>> Parish with a Mayor], District or County Councils.
>>
>> I think that, in principle, devolution is a good thing; the UK is too
>> centralised. But I wish we did it more
>> consistently.
>
> There are two options, full devolution or full centralisation. The
> current mess has my Council blaming Edinburgh and Edinburgh blaming
> Westminster - so nowt ever gets done, the "blame game" is the only
> issue. Whilst I am not liking the idea, centralisation may well be the
> only way to remove the blame game issue.

For the most part it’s pretty clear which areas are devolved and which are
reserved. Either the things your Council are complaining about are in one
of the greyer areas, or someone’s just ignorant or playing games.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<2a9fci9bmd6c1plpl18buboagarfk7nb5l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62926&group=uk.railway#62926

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <u9o605$1369u$1@dont-email.me> <u9qm41$1epg5$2@dont-email.me> <u9qq3p$1f2fg$1@dont-email.me> <n3k2cipnseiqval18rv4c2rucn4m57l8vc@4ax.com> <kih4ci1bmq493gurf0r3rsinj4asdpjn8p@4ax.com> <u9tksu$1s7pk$1@dont-email.me> <ktu5citgap8sm1tmno5jccmj9fbb7fjkfu@4ax.com> <ua0563$27iaq$2@dont-email.me> <mge7cih0q7arddg8if3sfj1umd2l1sbngo@4ax.com> <0tv7cidthmqjr73rd4g4pbimk4fg3sg12c@4ax.com> <jPGpLIAwGLxkFAmd@perry.uk> <ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me> <xritCdDjhfxkFAHC@perry.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:19:12 +0100
 by: Recliner - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 12:19 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:42:59 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:41:07 on Sat, 29 Jul
>2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>
>>> It is not a requirement that Ministers are also pedants. So the
>>>occasional slip of the tongue is permitted. However, a Home Office
>>>minister not realising that they should check the credentials of their
>>>immigrant cleaner *even if* it wasn't a law they put through
>>>Parliament themselves, is more about general knowledge of what it
>>>means to be an employer, and is entirely disjoint even from being a
>>>party politician.
>>
>>It's also a sign of them not making proper use of their advisors.
>
>If you mean their SPADs, then that's a whole other can of worms (ie
>what's their job description regarding the scope of their advice).
>
>Ministers have an office full of civil servants, but often their advice
>isn't listened to.

There's another category of advisors as well: external consultants, on which governments spend a fortune. This is partly
as a result of cuts elsewhere, where external expertise has to be bought in to replace the in-house expertise that was
lost.

One recent, ridiculous example is the DfT, which has hired expensive external consultants to help interpret its own
legislation (to see how much of GBR can be implemented in the absence of further legislation in this parliament). The
DfT also spent more than £4m on external consultants to help with the Williams-Shapps Review.

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua8dmq$39ma7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62930&group=uk.railway#62930

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:41:46 +0100
 by: Coffee - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:41 UTC

On 31/07/2023 13:19, Recliner wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:42:59 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:41:07 on Sat, 29 Jul
>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>> It's also a sign of them not making proper use of their advisors.
>>
>> If you mean their SPADs, then that's a whole other can of worms (ie
>> what's their job description regarding the scope of their advice).
>>
>> Ministers have an office full of civil servants, but often their advice
>> isn't listened to.
>
> There's another category of advisors as well: external consultants, on which governments spend a fortune. This is partly
> as a result of cuts elsewhere, where external expertise has to be bought in to replace the in-house expertise that was
> lost.
>
> One recent, ridiculous example is the DfT, which has hired expensive external consultants to help interpret its own
> legislation (to see how much of GBR can be implemented in the absence of further legislation in this parliament). The
> DfT also spent more than £4m on external consultants to help with the Williams-Shapps Review.

There's a blockage in parliament for new legislation.

The answer is to increase the number of weeks parliament sits to 50
weeks with a two week break for Christmas and the new year. Give MPs 20
days annual leave with compulsory leave for Christmas and the new year.

Why should they be treated differently for other employees?

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<4kefci9fne8710jhnuuci84h804prlq82c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62931&group=uk.railway#62931

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <u9qq3p$1f2fg$1@dont-email.me> <n3k2cipnseiqval18rv4c2rucn4m57l8vc@4ax.com> <kih4ci1bmq493gurf0r3rsinj4asdpjn8p@4ax.com> <u9tksu$1s7pk$1@dont-email.me> <ktu5citgap8sm1tmno5jccmj9fbb7fjkfu@4ax.com> <ua0563$27iaq$2@dont-email.me> <mge7cih0q7arddg8if3sfj1umd2l1sbngo@4ax.com> <0tv7cidthmqjr73rd4g4pbimk4fg3sg12c@4ax.com> <jPGpLIAwGLxkFAmd@perry.uk> <ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me> <xritCdDjhfxkFAHC@perry.uk> <2a9fci9bmd6c1plpl18buboagarfk7nb5l@4ax.com> <ua8dmq$39ma7$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:51:26 +0100
 by: Recliner - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:51 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:41:46 +0100, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>On 31/07/2023 13:19, Recliner wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:42:59 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:41:07 on Sat, 29 Jul
>>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>> If you mean their SPADs, then that's a whole other can of worms (ie
>>> what's their job description regarding the scope of their advice).
>>>
>>> Ministers have an office full of civil servants, but often their advice
>>> isn't listened to.
>>
>> There's another category of advisors as well: external consultants, on which governments spend a fortune. This is partly
>> as a result of cuts elsewhere, where external expertise has to be bought in to replace the in-house expertise that was
>> lost.
>>
>> One recent, ridiculous example is the DfT, which has hired expensive external consultants to help interpret its own
>> legislation (to see how much of GBR can be implemented in the absence of further legislation in this parliament). The
>> DfT also spent more than £4m on external consultants to help with the Williams-Shapps Review.
>
>There's a blockage in parliament for new legislation.

That's not the issue here. The problem is that the DfT doesn't understand its own legislation.

>The answer is to increase the number of weeks parliament sits to 50
>weeks with a two week break for Christmas and the new year. Give MPs 20
>days annual leave with compulsory leave for Christmas and the new year.

They don't just work in the House of Commons. They also have constituencies that generate a lot of their work, and where
they're expected to spend significant time. Many also sit on committees or go on visits. They also have to attend their
party's events, and to campaign, both for themselves and the party in general. They are also expected to be active on
social media and to be available for media interviews. Overall, they spend very little time in the HoC chamber, which
isn't where they do most of their work.

>Why should they be treated differently for other employees?

You're asking for them to have much worse conditions than any other employees (not that they're employees). How do you
think your punitive ideas would get through parliament?

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<ua8e9o$39p3m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62932&group=uk.railway#62932

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:51:52 -0000 (UTC)
<jPGpLIAwGLxkFAmd@perry.uk>
<ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me>
<xritCdDjhfxkFAHC@perry.uk>
<2a9fci9bmd6c1plpl18buboagarfk7nb5l@4ax.com>
<ua8dmq$39ma7$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:6ARv15ouN6q36VTSZBB60W0eXdM=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:51 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 13:19, Recliner wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:42:59 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:41:07 on Sat, 29 Jul
>>> 2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>> If you mean their SPADs, then that's a whole other can of worms (ie
>>> what's their job description regarding the scope of their advice).
>>>
>>> Ministers have an office full of civil servants, but often their advice
>>> isn't listened to.
>>
>> There's another category of advisors as well: external consultants, on
>> which governments spend a fortune. This is partly
>> as a result of cuts elsewhere, where external expertise has to be bought
>> in to replace the in-house expertise that was
>> lost.
>>
>> One recent, ridiculous example is the DfT, which has hired expensive
>> external consultants to help interpret its own
>> legislation (to see how much of GBR can be implemented in the absence of
>> further legislation in this parliament). The
>> DfT also spent more than £4m on external consultants to help with the
>> Williams-Shapps Review.
>
> There's a blockage in parliament for new legislation.
>
> The answer is to increase the number of weeks parliament sits to 50
> weeks with a two week break for Christmas and the new year. Give MPs 20
> days annual leave with compulsory leave for Christmas and the new year.
>
> Why should they be treated differently for other employees?

Because sitting in parliament is only part of the job?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<9flfcidlm6ifkiaetp3r1ifjsm517dhabk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=62933&group=uk.railway#62933

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 16:44:08 +0100
References: <u9m7to$njib$1@dont-email.me> <d39tbi5p3eu3la3nrki04eannlr0im0280@4ax.com> <u9o605$1369u$1@dont-email.me> <u9qm41$1epg5$2@dont-email.me> <u9qq3p$1f2fg$1@dont-email.me> <n3k2cipnseiqval18rv4c2rucn4m57l8vc@4ax.com> <kih4ci1bmq493gurf0r3rsinj4asdpjn8p@4ax.com> <u9tksu$1s7pk$1@dont-email.me> <l4m4cittn3tro32kjcpct6a0gloo0pq5rj@4ax.com> <0L0sq4r+tlwkFAtD@perry.uk> <q8n4cih8qjanevh861jfdpvucoaofg4m62@4ax.com> <u9tnia$1shpe$1@dont-email.me> <ua80n7$38etn$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Charles Ellson - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:44 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:00:07 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
<ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I think that, in principle, devolution is a good thing; the UK is too
>>> centralised. But I wish we did it more
>>> consistently.
>>
>> There are two options, full devolution or full centralisation. The
>> current mess has my Council blaming Edinburgh and Edinburgh blaming
>> Westminster - so nowt ever gets done, the "blame game" is the only
>> issue. Whilst I am not liking the idea, centralisation may well be the
>> only way to remove the blame game issue.
>
>For the most part it’s pretty clear which areas are devolved and which are
>reserved. Either the things your Council are complaining about are in one
>of the greyer areas, or someone’s just ignorant or playing games.

You can get a bit of tennis where local and national government both
have the power to do something but neither has a clear obligation to
do so. A council can have things it has a duty to do but, on top of
that, more things that they can lawfully do.

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<iG+lQFxto7zkFA3V@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=63201&group=uk.railway#63201

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:20:13 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:20 UTC

In message <2a9fci9bmd6c1plpl18buboagarfk7nb5l@4ax.com>, at 13:19:12 on
Mon, 31 Jul 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:42:59 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <ua2tsk$2ju1g$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:41:07 on Sat, 29 Jul
>>2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>>It's also a sign of them not making proper use of their advisors.
>>
>>If you mean their SPADs, then that's a whole other can of worms (ie
>>what's their job description regarding the scope of their advice).
>>
>>Ministers have an office full of civil servants, but often their advice
>>isn't listened to.
>
>There's another category of advisors as well: external consultants, on
>which governments spend a fortune. This is partly
>as a result of cuts elsewhere, where external expertise has to be
>bought in to replace the in-house expertise that was
>lost.
>
>One recent, ridiculous example is the DfT, which has hired expensive
>external consultants to help interpret its own legislation (to see how
>much of GBR can be implemented in the absence of further legislation in
>this parliament). The DfT also spent more than £4m on external
>consultants to help with the Williams-Shapps Review.

Chicken feed. Last time I looked, Network Rail was spending £9m on
consulants to try to work out what to do with the Ely North Junction.
--
Roland Perry

Re: SOT Rail bosses prefer to take the plane!

<s2Smcyxer7zkFAUr@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=63202&group=uk.railway#63202

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:23:10 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:23 UTC

In message <msvbcil3ko3b4mfsa37vg4l74f8n84d187@4ax.com>, at 07:20:11 on
Sun, 30 Jul 2023, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
remarked:
>On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:40:55 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <3ejacil6c9saq9gkj4586b69nlm0spndbq@4ax.com>, at 18:36:15 on
>>Sat, 29 Jul 2023, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
>>remarked:

>>>In pre-DPA/GDPR days it would have enabled their employer to check for
>>>any potentially dodgy income.
>>
>>I don't think there's anything in DOA/GDPR to prevent them still doing
>>that, as long as the have the compliance officer's approval.
>>
>It needs compliance with the 7 data principles not just the say so of
>their compliance officer.

The compliance officer who is looking at those 7 principles to see if
the activity is OK?

>The police or other investigators would require a warrant or court
>order for access so an employer should not be getting any less
>restriction.

Barking up the wrong tree, I'm afraid. There's different rules for
public authorities vs employers, and also numerous get-outs for
combating fraud.
--
Roland Perry