Generic Fortune.

aus+uk / uk.railway / BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

SubjectAuthor
* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
+* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationNY
|`- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationCharles Ellson
+* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationScott
|`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationRecliner
| +- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationNobody
| +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationSam Wilson
| |`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationNY
| | `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationSam Wilson
| +- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationGraeme Wall
| `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMuttley
|  +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
|  |`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMuttley
|  | +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationCertes
|  | |`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMuttley
|  | | `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationTweed
|  | |  +- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
|  | |  `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMuttley
|  | |   +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationSam Wilson
|  | |   |`- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationGraeme Wall
|  | |   `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
|  | +- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
|  | `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationCharles Ellson
|  +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationRecliner
|  |`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationScott
|  | `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationColinR
|  |  `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationScott
|  |   `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationGraeme Wall
|  |    `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationScott
|  |     `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationGraeme Wall
|  `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMike Humphrey
`- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99

Pages:12
BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<uf7f75$f49m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65725&group=uk.railway#65725

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:22:44 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 21:22 UTC

BBC News

Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

Two people have been taken to hospital after a collision involving the
Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station
in the Highlands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66967170

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<WZqcnQa1-Ing2Yr4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65726&group=uk.railway#65726

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:41:15 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 21:41 UTC

On 29/09/2023 22:22, JMB99 wrote:
> BBC News
>
> Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
>
> Two people have been taken to hospital after a collision involving the
> Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station
> in the Highlands.

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66967170

https://www.facebook.com/NorthYorkshireWeatherUpdates has photos of
broken bottles and cabinets inside the train.

Not sure why North Yorkshire Weather Updates has a story about a crash
in the Scotytish Highlands.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<uo1fhi50v9hnh7n9dpi4vt81i286fp59t8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65729&group=uk.railway#65729

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 03:28:54 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 02:28 UTC

On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:41:15 +0100, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 29/09/2023 22:22, JMB99 wrote:
>> BBC News
>>
>> Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
>>
>> Two people have been taken to hospital after a collision involving the
>> Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station
>> in the Highlands.

>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66967170
>

>https://www.facebook.com/NorthYorkshireWeatherUpdates has photos of
>broken bottles and cabinets inside the train.
>
>Not sure why North Yorkshire Weather Updates has a story about a crash
>in the Scotytish Highlands.

.... or off-grid electrical installations or trees being felled in
Northumberland ? Could the word "clickbait" feature?

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<bsnfhip3d4mqa2fj2f7mm3umu079rap1p6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65749&group=uk.railway#65749

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:47:14 +0100
 by: Scott - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:47 UTC

On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:22:44 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>BBC News
>
>Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
>
>Two people have been taken to hospital after a collision involving the
>Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station
>in the Highlands.

Can I take it the locomotive was coupling to the carriages, passengers
were on-board the carriages and the driver misjudged the speed of the
manoevre?

I thought passengers were supposed to be seated while coupling is
taking place. Is this a rule, and should an announcement be made? I
assume no damage from the description and no derailment?

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<uf9nvf$12anm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65764&group=uk.railway#65764

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 19:04:31 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:04 UTC

Some good photographs

BBC News

Flying Scotsman crash: Safety checks to be carried out on iconic locomotive

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66970791

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufc3cg$1kan5$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65798&group=uk.railway#65798

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:31:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:h/mMQLyflfMEoOQ9SwbTw6yJaS0=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:31 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:22:44 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> BBC News
>>
>> Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
>>
>> Two people have been taken to hospital after a collision involving the
>> Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station
>> in the Highlands.
>>
> Can I take it the locomotive was coupling to the carriages, passengers
> were on-board the carriages and the driver misjudged the speed of the
> manoevre?

Yes, it looks like it:

https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<nm5jhi51hsgjo9lo6crsk01ehr49cftlko@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65799&group=uk.railway#65799

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 08:57:49 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:57 UTC

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:31:28 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:22:44 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>>> BBC News
>>>
>>> Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
>>>
>>> Two people have been taken to hospital after a collision involving the
>>> Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station
>>> in the Highlands.
>>>
>> Can I take it the locomotive was coupling to the carriages, passengers
>> were on-board the carriages and the driver misjudged the speed of the
>> manoevre?
>
>Yes, it looks like it:
>
>https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ

Those people on the carriage gangway area must've been a tad nervous.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufc7d3$1l5df$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65803&group=uk.railway#65803

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:40:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GWLNvNVlmPY2e0bb9aKRuBh/XIk=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:40 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:22:44 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>>> BBC News
>>>
>>> Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
>>>
>>> Two people have been taken to hospital after a collision involving the
>>> Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station
>>> in the Highlands.
>>>
>> Can I take it the locomotive was coupling to the carriages, passengers
>> were on-board the carriages and the driver misjudged the speed of the
>> manoevre?
>
> Yes, it looks like it:
>
> https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ

Ouch! That will have made the water slosh around a bit in the boiler and
the tender!

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufcgh9$2fafr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65807&group=uk.railway#65807

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:15:53 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 19:15 UTC

On 01/10/2023 16:31, Recliner wrote:
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:22:44 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>>> BBC News
>>>
>>> Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
>>>
>>> Two people have been taken to hospital after a collision involving the
>>> Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station
>>> in the Highlands.
>>>
>> Can I take it the locomotive was coupling to the carriages, passengers
>> were on-board the carriages and the driver misjudged the speed of the
>> manoevre?
>
> Yes, it looks like it:
>
> https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ

Does appear to have backed down a bit fast!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufdvh3$2rve9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65826&group=uk.railway#65826

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 08:37:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 08:37 UTC

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:31:28 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:22:44 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>>> BBC News
>>>
>>> Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
>>>
>>> Two people have been taken to hospital after a collision involving the
>>> Flying Scotsman locomotive and the Royal Scotsman carriages at a station
>>> in the Highlands.
>>>
>> Can I take it the locomotive was coupling to the carriages, passengers
>> were on-board the carriages and the driver misjudged the speed of the
>> manoevre?
>
>Yes, it looks like it:
>
>https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmX
>nN44ZQ

Thats a hell of a misjudgement. Did he fall asleep?

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufeb9m$2u76u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65832&group=uk.railway#65832

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:58:46 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 11:58 UTC

One of carriages being taken away by road.

Investigators reviewing Flying Scotsman collision

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66982388

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufedbn$2unpm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65833&group=uk.railway#65833

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:33:04 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:33 UTC

"Sam Wilson" <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
>
> Ouch! That will have made the water slosh around a bit in the boiler and
> the tender!

Interesting that the adult and child didn't turn a hair when the tender hit
the carriages, and just carried on walking towards the loco.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufegnk$2vbik$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65834&group=uk.railway#65834

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:31:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:k1syR00mhxNcvMTWc5pE51fAXos=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:31 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:31:28 -0000 (UTC)
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Can I take it the locomotive was coupling to the carriages, passengers
>>> were on-board the carriages and the driver misjudged the speed of the
>>> manoevre?
>>
>> Yes, it looks like it:
>>
>> https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmX
>> nN44ZQ
>>

> Thats a hell of a misjudgement. Did he fall asleep?

As it happened on a preserved line, I wonder if it was a driver without
much experience of powerful, high speed main line locos?

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufen10$30g2d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65836&group=uk.railway#65836

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 15:18:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 15:18 UTC

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:58:46 +0100
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>One of carriages being taken away by road.
>

>Investigators reviewing Flying Scotsman collision
>
>https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66982388

"Police Scotland said it had concluded its inquiries, and had found there was
no criminality involved."

Why would they assume there might have been in the first place?

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufep5r$30pso$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65842&group=uk.railway#65842

From: Cer...@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:55:39 +0100
 by: Certes - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 15:55 UTC

On 02/10/2023 16:18, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:58:46 +0100
> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>> One of carriages being taken away by road.
>>
>> Investigators reviewing Flying Scotsman collision
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66982388
>
> "Police Scotland said it had concluded its inquiries, and had found there was
> no criminality involved."
>
> Why would they assume there might have been in the first place?

Because they're more used to dealing with road collisions, where one of
their first thoughts is whether they can do the driver(s) for some
offence or other. In this case, they quickly decided that they couldn't.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufepe8$30uic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65843&group=uk.railway#65843

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:00:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:00 UTC

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:55:39 +0100
Certes <Certes@example.org> wrote:
>On 02/10/2023 16:18, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:58:46 +0100
>> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>> One of carriages being taken away by road.
>>>
>>> Investigators reviewing Flying Scotsman collision
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66982388
>>
>> "Police Scotland said it had concluded its inquiries, and had found there was
>
>> no criminality involved."
>>
>> Why would they assume there might have been in the first place?
>
>Because they're more used to dealing with road collisions, where one of
>their first thoughts is whether they can do the driver(s) for some
>offence or other. In this case, they quickly decided that they couldn't.

Don't get me started on how plod behaves with RTAs. They can't be arsed to
stop shoplifters or burglers but they have enough manpower to close a road
for half a day, fuck over god knows how many 100s or 1000s of people who are
stuck in the jams resulting from that and for what? So they can do someone
for some minor driving offence.

On the continent you'd essentially need a bomb to go off for a major road to
be closed, not some stupid shunt.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufern5$31c7k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65847&group=uk.railway#65847

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:39:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6ommdtq+56zj5cz8meU/fJ9Pvag=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:39 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:55:39 +0100
> Certes <Certes@example.org> wrote:
>> On 02/10/2023 16:18, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> "Police Scotland said it had concluded its inquiries, and had found there was
>>
>>> no criminality involved."
>>>
>>> Why would they assume there might have been in the first place?
>>
>> Because they're more used to dealing with road collisions, where one of
>> their first thoughts is whether they can do the driver(s) for some
>> offence or other. In this case, they quickly decided that they couldn't.
>
> Don't get me started on how plod behaves with RTAs. They can't be arsed to
> stop shoplifters or burglers but they have enough manpower to close a road
> for half a day, fuck over god knows how many 100s or 1000s of people who are
> stuck in the jams resulting from that and for what? So they can do someone
> for some minor driving offence.
>
> On the continent you'd essentially need a bomb to go off for a major road to
> be closed, not some stupid shunt.

Wouldn’t the driver being under the influence constitute criminality?
Surely that has to be ruled out?

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufeui7$31sf1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65849&group=uk.railway#65849

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 18:27:35 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:27 UTC

On 02/10/2023 17:39, Tweed wrote:
> On the continent you'd essentially need a bomb to go off for a major
> road to be closed, not some stupid shunt.

Not uncommon in Scotland for a road to be closed overnight after a
serious accident even when no alternative route.

It has always been my suspicion that they prefer to leave the road
closed overnight rather than pay the accident investigation team
overtime or night working payments.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufeulo$31n7r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65850&group=uk.railway#65850

From: mai...@michaelhumphrey.me.uk (Mike Humphrey)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:29:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Humphrey - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:29 UTC

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 08:37:55 -0000 (UTC), Muttley wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:31:28 -0000 (UTC)
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Yes, it looks like it:
>>
>>https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?
s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmX
>>nN44ZQ
>>

> Thats a hell of a misjudgement. Did he fall asleep?

Looking at that, I wonder if the driver was expecting to couple to the
coaches on the loop, which are much further away, and hadn't realised the
points were set for the platform line. The Royal Scotsman coaches are
barely clear of the points, so there would be very little time to realise
they had taken the wrong line if that was the case.

Mike

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufeuv0$31sf1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65856&group=uk.railway#65856

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 18:34:23 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:34 UTC

On 02/10/2023 16:18, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> "Police Scotland said it had concluded its inquiries, and had found
> there was no criminality involved." Why would they assume there might
> have been in the first place?

I used to stop regularly at one large roadside cafe / services. I
noticed one day when leaving the car park that it was very easy to think
the centre line of the road was actually the edge of the road and was
nearly caught out several times.

I day I stopped there at the same time as a colleague, without prompting
he said that he had been confused there several times.

It was a very busy so pulling and stopping at the centre line could lead
to a very serious accident.

There was a police car outside the nearby shop so we went and spoke to
the plod. He had no interest - no law being broken so not interested in
a possible road safety hazard i.e. could not nick someone so not interested.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<bi2mhi154ko0noc3lcufq3biq2o2d8ntf6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65861&group=uk.railway#65861

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 19:33:13 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 18:33 UTC

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 15:18:56 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:58:46 +0100
>JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>One of carriages being taken away by road.
>>

>>Investigators reviewing Flying Scotsman collision
>>
>>https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66982388
>
>"Police Scotland said it had concluded its inquiries, and had found there was
>no criminality involved."
>
>Why would they assume there might have been in the first place?

They would be acting on behalf of the Procurator Fiscal for what was
initially a potentially serious incident. As with the other emergency
services, an incident reported as a railway collision gets the full
works based on potential casualties until such time it is determined
as non-serious; roughly the same reason that a burning bin at a
hospital would get multiple vehicles attending rather than one or two
at a house.
The quoted response attributed to PS is maybe more tuned to past
experiences of level crossing collisions at Dalfaber; there doesn't
need to be criminality for the PF to be involved.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<th6mhi1lrarsaq6ompcecs8q18evcs9im8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65862&group=uk.railway#65862

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 20:32:02 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 19:32 UTC

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:31:32 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:31:28 -0000 (UTC)
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, it looks like it:
>>>
>>> https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmX
>>> nN44ZQ
>>>

>> Thats a hell of a misjudgement. Did he fall asleep?
>
>As it happened on a preserved line, I wonder if it was a driver without
>much experience of powerful, high speed main line locos?

I am wondering: should all passengers have been detrained before such
a manoevre could take place?

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<uff7vc$33s2c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65863&group=uk.railway#65863

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:08:16 +0100
 by: ColinR - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 20:08 UTC

On 02/10/2023 20:32, Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:31:32 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

>>> Thats a hell of a misjudgement. Did he fall asleep?
>>
>> As it happened on a preserved line, I wonder if it was a driver without
>> much experience of powerful, high speed main line locos?
>
> I am wondering: should all passengers have been detrained before such
> a manoevre could take place?

Not done on mainline so why change the rules??

--
Colin

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<i3cmhihlvh4c6nlk3vb75fnivus5aqpkn7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65865&group=uk.railway#65865

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 22:06:11 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:06 UTC

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:08:16 +0100, ColinR
<rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>On 02/10/2023 20:32, Scott wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:31:32 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As it happened on a preserved line, I wonder if it was a driver without
>>> much experience of powerful, high speed main line locos?
>>
>> I am wondering: should all passengers have been detrained before such
>> a manoevre could take place?
>
>Not done on mainline so why change the rules??

Because volunteer drivers may be less experienced than mainline
drivers?

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<uffd64$34t1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65866&group=uk.railway#65866

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:37:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mpodb7m4f1+2PKdMYZJGNd0tv1o=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:37 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Sam Wilson" <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>> https://x.com/alastairdalton/status/1708260835594846209?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
>>
>> Ouch! That will have made the water slosh around a bit in the boiler and
>> the tender!
>
> Interesting that the adult and child didn't turn a hair when the tender hit
> the carriages, and just carried on walking towards the loco.

Yes, I thought that too!

Sam