Shah, shah! Ayatollah you so!

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

SubjectAuthor
* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
+* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationNY
|`- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationCharles Ellson
+* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationScott
|`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationRecliner
| +- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationNobody
| +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationSam Wilson
| |`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationNY
| | `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationSam Wilson
| +- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationGraeme Wall
| `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMuttley
|  +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
|  |`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMuttley
|  | +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationCertes
|  | |`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMuttley
|  | | `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationTweed
|  | |  +- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
|  | |  `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMuttley
|  | |   +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationSam Wilson
|  | |   |`- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationGraeme Wall
|  | |   `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
|  | +- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99
|  | `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationCharles Ellson
|  +* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationRecliner
|  |`* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationScott
|  | `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationColinR
|  |  `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationScott
|  |   `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationGraeme Wall
|  |    `* BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationScott
|  |     `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationGraeme Wall
|  `- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationMike Humphrey
`- BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at stationJMB99

Pages:12
Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufgdl2$3e8t7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65869&group=uk.railway#65869

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 07:51:14 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 06:51 UTC

On 02/10/2023 22:06, Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:08:16 +0100, ColinR
> <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 02/10/2023 20:32, Scott wrote:

>>> I am wondering: should all passengers have been detrained before such
>>> a manoevre could take place?
>>
>> Not done on mainline so why change the rules??
>
> Because volunteer drivers may be less experienced than mainline
> drivers?

Was it a volunteer driver?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufgitr$3f7gq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65872&group=uk.railway#65872

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:21:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:21 UTC

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:39:01 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:55:39 +0100
>> Certes <Certes@example.org> wrote:

>was

>>> Because they're more used to dealing with road collisions, where one of
>>> their first thoughts is whether they can do the driver(s) for some
>>> offence or other. In this case, they quickly decided that they couldn't.
>>
>> Don't get me started on how plod behaves with RTAs. They can't be arsed to
>> stop shoplifters or burglers but they have enough manpower to close a road
>> for half a day, fuck over god knows how many 100s or 1000s of people who are
>> stuck in the jams resulting from that and for what? So they can do someone
>> for some minor driving offence.
>>
>> On the continent you'd essentially need a bomb to go off for a major road to
>> be closed, not some stupid shunt.
>>

>Wouldn’t the driver being under the influence constitute criminality?
>Surely that has to be ruled out?

They don't need to close a motorway to breathalyse someone.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<3bknhi1ifj90hmcmg5t209r9cai8a36s1o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65874&group=uk.railway#65874

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 09:32:37 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:32 UTC

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 07:51:14 +0100, Graeme Wall
<rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 02/10/2023 22:06, Scott wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:08:16 +0100, ColinR
>> <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Not done on mainline so why change the rules??
>>
>> Because volunteer drivers may be less experienced than mainline
>> drivers?
>
>Was it a volunteer driver?

I don't know but I would suggest there would need to be a consistent
rule for heritage lines as I don't think the assessment could be based
on who the driver was for the day.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufgkp4$3fi8b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65876&group=uk.railway#65876

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:52:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:swmYCJG46sezN7Br6E/xtyI3WqQ=
 by: Sam Wilson - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:52 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:39:01 -0000 (UTC)
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

>> was

>>> Don't get me started on how plod behaves with RTAs. They can't be arsed to
>>> stop shoplifters or burglers but they have enough manpower to close a road
>>> for half a day, fuck over god knows how many 100s or 1000s of people who are
>>> stuck in the jams resulting from that and for what? So they can do someone
>>> for some minor driving offence.
>>>
>>> On the continent you'd essentially need a bomb to go off for a major road to
>>> be closed, not some stupid shunt.
>>>

>> Wouldn’t the driver being under the influence constitute criminality?
>> Surely that has to be ruled out?
>
> They don't need to close a motorway to breathalyse someone.

The powers that be should insist that there be 3 lanes plus a hard shoulder
on all heritage lines. In each direction.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufgs91$3h2ft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65880&group=uk.railway#65880

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:00:49 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:00 UTC

On 03/10/2023 09:32, Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 07:51:14 +0100, Graeme Wall
> <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 02/10/2023 22:06, Scott wrote:

>>> Because volunteer drivers may be less experienced than mainline
>>> drivers?
>>
>> Was it a volunteer driver?
>
> I don't know but I would suggest there would need to be a consistent
> rule for heritage lines as I don't think the assessment could be based
> on who the driver was for the day.

Actually, if there was consistency with main line operation, the driver
should have brought the loco to a stand just short of the train and then
gently backed down on to it. I'm wondering if he missed his braking
point, forgetting he hadn't got a train to assist with the braking. I
did that at Didcot once, was driving Burton Agnes Hall on 8 road,
checked my braking point only I was used to it being the point with
three carriages on. As a light engine we were still moving a bit fast.
Had to make a very full application much to the consternation of the
supervising driver. Fortunately that ended well.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufgsb2$3h2ft$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65881&group=uk.railway#65881

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:01:54 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:01 UTC

On 03/10/2023 09:52, Sam Wilson wrote:
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:39:01 -0000 (UTC)
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> was

>>> Wouldn’t the driver being under the influence constitute criminality?
>>> Surely that has to be ruled out?
>>
>> They don't need to close a motorway to breathalyse someone.
>
> The powers that be should insist that there be 3 lanes plus a hard shoulder
> on all heritage lines. In each direction.

Somebody would soon suggest you could use the hard shoulder as a normal
track.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: BBC News: Two injured after Flying Scotsman crash at station

<ufgthd$3hc8a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=65883&group=uk.railway#65883

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:22:22 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:22 UTC

More serious that I thought.

Santa Express on hold after Flying Scotsman shunt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66993845