The truth you speak has no past and no future. It is, and that's all it needs to be.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

SubjectAuthor
* Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
+* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDBruce Horrocks
|`* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
| `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDnospam
|  `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|   `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDnospam
|    +- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|    +* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|    |`* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDAlan B
|    | `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|    |  `- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|    `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|     `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDnospam
|      `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|       `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDnospam
|        `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|         `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDnospam
|          `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|           `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDnospam
|            `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDjbrennand
|             `- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSDnospam
+* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2jbrennand
|+* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2nospam
||`* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2jbrennand
|| `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2nospam
||  `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2Graham J
||   `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2nospam
||    `- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2Graham J
|+* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2Bruce Horrocks
||`* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2jbrennand
|| `- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2Bruce Horrocks
|`* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2jbrennand
| +- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2jbrennand
| `- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2Chris Ridd
+* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3jbrennand
|+* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3David Brooks
||`* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3jbrennand
|| `- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3David Brooks
|`* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3Alan B
| +* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3David Kennedy
| |`- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3Alan B
| `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3jbrennand
|  `* Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3Bruce Horrocks
|   `- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD Part3Alan B
`- Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - Updatejbrennand

Pages:12
Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0805h$5ca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6830&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6830

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:27:27 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:27 UTC

I posted a few months ago about how to increase storage for my daughters
early-2011 13" MBPro - currently running 10.13.6. The consensus view
was to just fit a bigger SSD. I have a TM backup from around Christmas
and dont want to do that again beforehand as all that's been added are
photos and these are also on her phone too.

Long story short, she (well me.. !) are ready to do this now. However,
that laptop has other issues (age related!) that means I am donating my
pristine mid-2012 model to her in exchange :-(

So just checking if this plan is correct...

Clean up her 600GB HD and then use CCC to transfer it to the new Crucial
TB SSD drive which will be in an Icy box enclosure on a (slow) USB
connection. Start the cloning - wait ~10 hours (!?)then do the physical
swap over.

Or is there any any advantage in doing it another way (swapping the
dives first before cloning)?

Any other tips and gotcha's very welcome

Cheers JohnB

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<8b91ec15-7154-5b79-78bd-4209b29915a6@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6831&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6831

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 21:41:02 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 21:41 UTC

On 08/03/2022 16:27, jbrennand wrote:
> I posted a few months ago about how to increase storage for my daughters
> early-2011 13" MBPro - currently running 10.13.6.  The consensus view
> was to just fit a bigger SSD.  I have a TM backup from around Christmas
> and dont want to do that again beforehand as all that's been added are
> photos and these are also on her phone too.
>
> Long story short, she (well me.. !) are ready to do this now.  However,
> that laptop has other issues (age related!) that means I am donating my
> pristine mid-2012 model to her in exchange  :-(
>
> So just checking if this plan is correct...
>
> Clean up her 600GB HD and then use CCC to transfer it to the new Crucial
> TB SSD drive which will be in an Icy box enclosure on a (slow) USB
> connection. Start the cloning - wait ~10 hours (!?)then do the physical
> swap over.
>
> Or is there any any advantage in doing it another way (swapping the
> dives first before cloning)?
>
> Any other tips and gotcha's very welcome

It's not clear to me what you are actually doing. I understand that you
want to migrate your daughter's stuff from early-2011 machine to
mid-2012 model which she will then keep and continue to use.

What will then happen to the early-2011 machine? Is it being relegated
to the spares drawer or are you planning to move your stuff from the
2012 machine onto it?

If it's going to the spares drawer why not just use Migration Assistant
from 2011 to a freshly-wiped 2012 machine (wiped as if you were going to
sell it)?

If you're swapping machines and planning to replace the HDD with the SDD
then I think I would install the blank SDD; go through the re-install OS
procedure (did it come with a USB key or is it modern enough to do a
network install?). Then use migration assistant from the HDD installed
in the Icy box via USB.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t08n9r$7c2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6832&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6832

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 23:02:18 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 23:02 UTC

On 08/03/2022 21:41, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 08/03/2022 16:27, jbrennand wrote:
>> I posted a few months ago about how to increase storage for my
>> daughters early-2011 13" MBPro - currently running 10.13.6.  The
>> consensus view was to just fit a bigger SSD.  I have a TM backup from
>> around Christmas and dont want to do that again beforehand as all
>> that's been added are photos and these are also on her phone too.
>>
>> Long story short, she (well me.. !) are ready to do this now.
>> However, that laptop has other issues (age related!) that means I am
>> donating my pristine mid-2012 model to her in exchange  :-(
>>
>> So just checking if this plan is correct...
>>
>> Clean up her 600GB HD and then use CCC to transfer it to the new
>> Crucial TB SSD drive which will be in an Icy box enclosure on a (slow)
>> USB connection. Start the cloning - wait ~10 hours (!?)then do the
>> physical swap over.
>>
>> Or is there any any advantage in doing it another way (swapping the
>> dives first before cloning)?
>>
>> Any other tips and gotcha's very welcome
>
> It's not clear to me what you are actually doing. I understand that you
> want to migrate your daughter's stuff from early-2011 machine to
> mid-2012 model which she will then keep and continue to use.
>
> What will then happen to the early-2011 machine? Is it being relegated
> to the spares drawer or are you planning to move your stuff from the
> 2012 machine onto it?
>
> If it's going to the spares drawer why not just use Migration Assistant
> from 2011 to a freshly-wiped 2012 machine (wiped as if you were going to
> sell it)?
>
> If you're swapping machines and planning to replace the HDD with the SDD
> then I think I would install the blank SDD; go through the re-install OS
> procedure (did it come with a USB key or is it modern enough to do a
> network install?). Then use migration assistant from the HDD installed
> in the Icy box via USB.

Cheers

I have used the MA to set up my new M1 air. However I think it may be
outwith my balliwick to do it to a device with a brand new SSD and no
OS. How would I put a clean install of an old 10.13.1 onto it prior to
migrating ?

Thanks JohnB

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<080320221805527923%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6833&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6833

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 18:05:52 -0500
 by: nospam - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 23:05 UTC

In article <t08n9r$7c2$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I have used the MA to set up my new M1 air. However I think it may be
> outwith my balliwick to do it to a device with a brand new SSD and no
> OS. How would I put a clean install of an old 10.13.1 onto it prior to
> migrating ?

net install:
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904>

alternately, download the installer and make a bootable usb stick.

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t08pcv$oma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6836&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6836

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 23:38:06 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 23:38 UTC

On 08/03/2022 23:05, nospam wrote:
> In article <t08n9r$7c2$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
> <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>> I have used the MA to set up my new M1 air. However I think it may be
>> outwith my balliwick to do it to a device with a brand new SSD and no
>> OS. How would I put a clean install of an old 10.13.1 onto it prior to
>> migrating ?
>
> net install:
> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904>
>
> alternately, download the installer and make a bootable usb stick.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am a bit nervous with that route. I have struggled with bootable
back ups in the past.

Is there any good reason for not doing it the CCC way ?

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<080320222006442974%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6837&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6837

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 20:06:44 -0500
 by: nospam - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 01:06 UTC

In article <t08pcv$oma$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> >> I have used the MA to set up my new M1 air. However I think it may be
> >> outwith my balliwick to do it to a device with a brand new SSD and no
> >> OS. How would I put a clean install of an old 10.13.1 onto it prior to
> >> migrating ?
> >
> > net install:
> > <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904>
> >
> > alternately, download the installer and make a bootable usb stick.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I am a bit nervous with that route. I have struggled with bootable
> back ups in the past.

how so?

it's going to be a fresh install on a new drive, so there's nothing to
lose.

once the system is installed, it will ask you if you want to migrate
from the old drive, at which point it will copy it.

> Is there any good reason for not doing it the CCC way ?

nope. that's yet another option.

if something does go wrong, no matter how you do it, you will still
have the old drive (and presumably a backup of it as well), and can
redo it.

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0a7gq$6tt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6843&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6843

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:45:12 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:45 UTC

On 09/03/2022 01:06, nospam wrote:

>>> net install:
>>> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904>
>>>
>>> alternately, download the installer and make a bootable usb stick.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> I am a bit nervous with that route. I have struggled with bootable
>> back ups in the past.
>
> how so?

After installing from the installer it wouldn't boot. It was many years
ago though :-)

> if something does go wrong, no matter how you do it, you will still
> have the old drive (and presumably a backup of it as well), and can
> redo it
Yes good point... I will try with a fresh 10.13.1 installer on the new
SSD and see if that works first.

Cheers.

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0a83f$94k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6844&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6844

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:55:10 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:55 UTC

On 09/03/2022 01:06, nospam wrote:

>>> net install:
>>> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904>
>>>
>>> alternately, download the installer and make a bootable usb stick.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> I am a bit nervous with that route. I have struggled with bootable
>> back ups in the past.

Also... any idea where to find the High Sierra 10.13.6 installer. On
the App store its just saying not compatible and no option to download
it - that's on my newer Air

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0a939$ihf$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6845&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6845

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:12:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:12 UTC

jbrennand <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On 09/03/2022 01:06, nospam wrote:

>>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>>
>>> I am a bit nervous with that route. I have struggled with bootable
>>> back ups in the past.
>>

> Also... any idea where to find the High Sierra 10.13.6 installer. On
> the App store its just saying not compatible and no option to download
> it - that's on my newer Air

This might work - open Terminal and enter:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.13.6

This should put a copy of the installer app in /Appiications and you can
then create an installer on a USB stick.

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0aaak$s70$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6848&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6848

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:33:05 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:33 UTC

On 09/03/2022 13:12, Alan B wrote:
> softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.13.6

Thanks but....

"This copy of the install MACOS installer is too old to be opened on
this version of macOS"

QUIT

This is using my MacAir on 12.2.1. I guess Apple dont want you to
revert back.

I remember having this issue before and just gave up !

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0aaiq$u7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6849&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6849

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:37:27 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:37 UTC

On 09/03/2022 13:33, jbrennand wrote:
> On 09/03/2022 13:12, Alan B wrote:
>> softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.13.6
>
> Thanks but....
>
> "This copy of the install MACOS installer is too old to be opened on
> this version of macOS"
>
> QUIT
>
> This is using my MacAir on 12.2.1.   I guess Apple dont want you to
> revert back.
>
> I remember having this issue before and just gave up !

Dohhhh - it said that - I assume it auto cancelled the install ... but
it has put the installer in the Applications folder. I will see what
happens next !

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0ahb0$ls9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6854&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6854

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 15:32:47 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 15:32 UTC

On 09/03/2022 01:06, nospam wrote:

>> I am a bit nervous with that route. I have struggled with bootable
>> back ups in the past.
>
> how so?

The bad memories keep flooding back :-(

I have downloaded the HS installer and it is on a flash drive and also
in the App folder. I have my new SSD in a usb caddy. Both are
formatted as MacOS Journaled

Following Macworld instructions....

I have both plugged into my 2015 Air - or - 20212 MBPro - I click on the
installer (from either location) expecting to see the option to select
the disk I want to install the HS on... instead its... "This copy of of
the "install macOS application is too old to be opened on this version
of macOS - QUIT

Help... what is going on ?

Cheers JohnB

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<090320221045302267%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6855&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6855

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 10:45:30 -0500
 by: nospam - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 15:45 UTC

In article <t0ahb0$ls9$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I have downloaded the HS installer and it is on a flash drive and also
> in the App folder. I have my new SSD in a usb caddy. Both are
> formatted as MacOS Journaled
>
> Following Macworld instructions....
>
> I have both plugged into my 2015 Air - or - 20212 MBPro - I click on the
> installer (from either location) expecting to see the option to select
> the disk I want to install the HS on... instead its... "This copy of of
> the "install macOS application is too old to be opened on this version
> of macOS - QUIT
>
> Help... what is going on ?

what you downloaded is an app, which checks to see if installing it is
appropriate for whatever mac you're using.

you need to make a bootable installer, which skips the app wrapper.

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372>
<https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/bootable-mac-installer-3575875/>

simplify the process with diskmaker:
<https://diskmakerx.com>

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0akp8$khu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6856&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6856

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 16:31:35 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 16:31 UTC

On 09/03/2022 15:45, nospam wrote:
> In article <t0ahb0$ls9$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
> <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I have downloaded the HS installer and it is on a flash drive and also
>> in the App folder. I have my new SSD in a usb caddy. Both are
>> formatted as MacOS Journaled
>>
>> Following Macworld instructions....
>>
>> I have both plugged into my 2015 Air - or - 20212 MBPro - I click on the
>> installer (from either location) expecting to see the option to select
>> the disk I want to install the HS on... instead its... "This copy of of
>> the "install macOS application is too old to be opened on this version
>> of macOS - QUIT
>>
>> Help... what is going on ?
>
> what you downloaded is an app, which checks to see if installing it is
> appropriate for whatever mac you're using.
>
> you need to make a bootable installer, which skips the app wrapper.

Thanks for the help.

I did make the bootable installer via the Terminal option... however the
mistake I have been making is not booting the Air up with both "disks"
attached whilst "holding down the option key" !

I have just done that and it then gave me the option to install from the
flash drive onto the new HD.

Its chugging through now.. 21 minutes left - fingers are crossed !

Cheers

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<090320221212486489%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6858&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6858

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 12:12:48 -0500
 by: nospam - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:12 UTC

In article <t0akp8$khu$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Its chugging through now.. 21 minutes left - fingers are crossed !

the time estimates and reality rarely agree.

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0ao3h$hih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6859&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6859

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:28:17 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:28 UTC

On 09/03/2022 17:12, nospam wrote:
> In article <t0akp8$khu$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
> <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>> Its chugging through now.. 21 minutes left - fingers are crossed !
>
> the time estimates and reality rarely agree.

Wasn't too bad just 30'. Worked fine and HS fully installed on the new SSD.

Will do the surgery and data migration tomorrow.

How long do you reckon for ~600GB to get across the wifi - or should I
cable them together ?

Thanks again... John

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<090320221237476475%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6860&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6860

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 12:37:47 -0500
References: <t0805h$5ca$1@dont-email.me> <8b91ec15-7154-5b79-78bd-4209b29915a6@scorecrow.com> <t08n9r$7c2$1@dont-email.me> <080320221805527923%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t08pcv$oma$1@dont-email.me> <080320222006442974%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0ahb0$ls9$1@dont-email.me> <090320221045302267%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0akp8$khu$1@dont-email.me> <090320221212486489%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0ao3h$hih$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:37 UTC

In article <t0ao3h$hih$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> How long do you reckon for ~600GB to get across the wifi - or should I
> cable them together ?

cable.

if you had wifi 6 on both ends and a wifi 6 access point, it might be
faster over wifi, but that's not the case here. your macbooks are old
enough to not even have wifi 5, let alone 6.

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0argh$77v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6861&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6861

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:26:24 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:26 UTC

On 09/03/2022 17:37, nospam wrote:
> In article <t0ao3h$hih$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
> <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> How long do you reckon for ~600GB to get across the wifi - or should I
>> cable them together ?
>
> cable.
>
> if you had wifi 6 on both ends and a wifi 6 access point, it might be
> faster over wifi, but that's not the case here. your macbooks are old
> enough to not even have wifi 5, let alone 6.

Good advice... cheers - Would you use ethernet cable or USB? I am
guessing ethernet ?

Thanks again JohnB

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<090320221331118711%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6862&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6862

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 13:31:11 -0500
References: <t0805h$5ca$1@dont-email.me> <8b91ec15-7154-5b79-78bd-4209b29915a6@scorecrow.com> <t08n9r$7c2$1@dont-email.me> <080320221805527923%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t08pcv$oma$1@dont-email.me> <080320222006442974%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0ahb0$ls9$1@dont-email.me> <090320221045302267%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0akp8$khu$1@dont-email.me> <090320221212486489%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0ao3h$hih$1@dont-email.me> <090320221237476475%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0argh$77v$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:31 UTC

In article <t0argh$77v$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> >> How long do you reckon for ~600GB to get across the wifi - or should I
> >> cable them together ?
> >
> > cable.
> >
> > if you had wifi 6 on both ends and a wifi 6 access point, it might be
> > faster over wifi, but that's not the case here. your macbooks are old
> > enough to not even have wifi 5, let alone 6.
>
> Good advice... cheers - Would you use ethernet cable or USB? I am
> guessing ethernet ?

ethernet.

usb won't work.

another option is put one mac into target disk mode and use a firewire
or thunderbolt cable, depending on the macs, which might even be faster
than ethernet.

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<t0avnc$sa2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6863&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6863

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:38:19 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:38 UTC

On 09/03/2022 18:31, nospam wrote:

>>> cable.
>>>
>>> if you had wifi 6 on both ends and a wifi 6 access point, it might be
>>> faster over wifi, but that's not the case here. your macbooks are old
>>> enough to not even have wifi 5, let alone 6.
>>
>> Good advice... cheers - Would you use ethernet cable or USB? I am
>> guessing ethernet ?
>
> ethernet.
>
> usb won't work.
>
> another option is put one mac into target disk mode and use a firewire
> or thunderbolt cable, depending on the macs, which might even be faster
> than ethernet.

Interesting - just remembered that the ethernet port on the
"destination" Pro doesnt work anyway and I use a T'bolt-ethernet
adapter. Would that be an issue or better !? Not sure if I have a
direct T'bolt-T'bolt cable.

in either case - do either/both devices have to be in TD mode - or just
connected before start up ?

Cheers

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD

<090320221758220543%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6864&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6864

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 17:58:22 -0500
References: <t0805h$5ca$1@dont-email.me> <8b91ec15-7154-5b79-78bd-4209b29915a6@scorecrow.com> <t08n9r$7c2$1@dont-email.me> <080320221805527923%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t08pcv$oma$1@dont-email.me> <080320222006442974%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0ahb0$ls9$1@dont-email.me> <090320221045302267%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0akp8$khu$1@dont-email.me> <090320221212486489%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0ao3h$hih$1@dont-email.me> <090320221237476475%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0argh$77v$1@dont-email.me> <090320221331118711%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0avnc$sa2$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 22:58 UTC

In article <t0avnc$sa2$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > another option is put one mac into target disk mode and use a firewire
> > or thunderbolt cable, depending on the macs, which might even be faster
> > than ethernet.
>
> Interesting - just remembered that the ethernet port on the
> "destination" Pro doesnt work anyway and I use a T'bolt-ethernet
> adapter. Would that be an issue or better !?

not an issue.

> Not sure if I have a
> direct T'bolt-T'bolt cable.

that would probably be faster.

target disk mode has some overhead, making it slower than a normal hard
drive, but so does ethernet.

> in either case - do either/both devices have to be in TD mode - or just
> connected before start up ?

only one, which is in target disk mode, making it a big external hard
drive, to be connected to another mac (or anything that can read hfs+
formatted drives).

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2

<t0ij3j$r47$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6920&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6920

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:52:01 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:52 UTC

On 08/03/2022 16:27, jbrennand wrote:
> I posted a few months ago about how to increase storage for my daughters
> early-2011 13" MBPro - currently running 10.13.6.  The consensus view
> was to just fit a bigger SSD.  I have a TM backup from around Christmas
> and dont want to do that again beforehand as all that's been added are
> photos and these are also on her phone too.
>
> Long story short, she (well me.. !) are ready to do this now.  However,
> that laptop has other issues (age related!) that means I am donating my
> pristine mid-2012 model to her in exchange  :-(
>
> So just checking if this plan is correct...
>
> Clean up her 600GB HD and then use CCC to transfer it to the new Crucial
> TB SSD drive which will be in an Icy box enclosure on a (slow) USB
> connection. Start the cloning - wait ~10 hours (!?)then do the physical
> swap over.
>
> Or is there any any advantage in doing it another way (swapping the
> dives first before cloning)?
>
> Any other tips and gotcha's very welcome
>
> Cheers JohnB

OK thanks to all (particularly nospam).... 20 hours later the data had
migrated using Migration Assistant

Fired up the Pro with the 2TB drive and find that it still has 1.91TB
available ! What happened? I cant see her 500GB of photo's anywhere.
Did they not migrate - if not why not - and why did it take 20 hours?

Where should the library of Photos be? Are they still in the cloud?

They will still be on the old machine of course, but I am beginning to
wish I hadn't offered to help!

Any thoughts appreciated.

JohnB

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2

<120320221210061188%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6922&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6922

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 12:10:06 -0500
 by: nospam - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:10 UTC

In article <t0ij3j$r47$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > I posted a few months ago about how to increase storage for my daughters
> > early-2011 13" MBPro - currently running 10.13.6.  The consensus view
> > was to just fit a bigger SSD.  I have a TM backup from around Christmas
> > and dont want to do that again beforehand as all that's been added are
> > photos and these are also on her phone too.
> >
> > Long story short, she (well me.. !) are ready to do this now.  However,
> > that laptop has other issues (age related!) that means I am donating my
> > pristine mid-2012 model to her in exchange  :-(
> >
> > So just checking if this plan is correct...
> >
> > Clean up her 600GB HD and then use CCC to transfer it to the new Crucial
> > TB SSD drive which will be in an Icy box enclosure on a (slow) USB
> > connection. Start the cloning - wait ~10 hours (!?)then do the physical
> > swap over.
> >
> > Or is there any any advantage in doing it another way (swapping the
> > dives first before cloning)?
> >
> > Any other tips and gotcha's very welcome
> >
> > Cheers JohnB
>
> OK thanks to all (particularly nospam).... 20 hours later the data had
> migrated using Migration Assistant

that's a bit longer that i would have thought.

> Fired up the Pro with the 2TB drive and find that it still has 1.91TB
> available ! What happened? I cant see her 500GB of photo's anywhere.
> Did they not migrate - if not why not - and why did it take 20 hours?

is other stuff missing? that does suggest something isn't quite right.

look in the same folders as where stuff was on the old mac. it should
be pretty much the same, especially for user data, including photos,
music, etc. some system files might be updated.

you can also do a search for files ending in .jpg (or whatever the
extensions are, e.g., jpeg, tiff, png, etc).

> Where should the library of Photos be?

same place they were on the old drive.

> Are they still in the cloud?

if they were before, they still are.

> They will still be on the old machine of course, but I am beginning to
> wish I hadn't offered to help!

she'll be happy once it's done :)

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2

<t0illj$gkb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6923&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6923

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:35:45 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:35 UTC

On 12/03/2022 17:10, nospam wrote:
> In article <t0ij3j$r47$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
> <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>> I posted a few months ago about how to increase storage for my daughters
>>> early-2011 13" MBPro - currently running 10.13.6.  The consensus view
>>> was to just fit a bigger SSD.  I have a TM backup from around Christmas
>>> and dont want to do that again beforehand as all that's been added are
>>> photos and these are also on her phone too.
>>>
>>> Long story short, she (well me.. !) are ready to do this now.  However,
>>> that laptop has other issues (age related!) that means I am donating my
>>> pristine mid-2012 model to her in exchange  :-(
>>>
>>> So just checking if this plan is correct...
>>>
>>> Clean up her 600GB HD and then use CCC to transfer it to the new Crucial
>>> TB SSD drive which will be in an Icy box enclosure on a (slow) USB
>>> connection. Start the cloning - wait ~10 hours (!?)then do the physical
>>> swap over.
>>>
>>> Or is there any any advantage in doing it another way (swapping the
>>> dives first before cloning)?
>>>
>>> Any other tips and gotcha's very welcome
>>>
>>> Cheers JohnB
>>
>> OK thanks to all (particularly nospam).... 20 hours later the data had
>> migrated using Migration Assistant
>
> that's a bit longer that i would have thought.
>
>> Fired up the Pro with the 2TB drive and find that it still has 1.91TB
>> available ! What happened? I cant see her 500GB of photo's anywhere.
>> Did they not migrate - if not why not - and why did it take 20 hours?
>
> is other stuff missing? that does suggest something isn't quite right.
>
> look in the same folders as where stuff was on the old mac. it should
> be pretty much the same, especially for user data, including photos,
> music, etc. some system files might be updated.
>
> you can also do a search for files ending in .jpg (or whatever the
> extensions are, e.g., jpeg, tiff, png, etc).
>
>> Where should the library of Photos be?
>
> same place they were on the old drive.
>
>> Are they still in the cloud?
>
> if they were before, they still are.
>
>> They will still be on the old machine of course, but I am beginning to
>> wish I hadn't offered to help!
>
> she'll be happy once it's done :)
Cheers... I hope so although she isnt at the moment :-)

Everything else seems to have gone across ok - but her user's "Pictures"
folder is empty!

On the old machine its showing ~250 GB of photos in there so I will bite
the bullet and copy all of that onto a spare SSD drive and then copy it
to the newer machine. will let it go overnight again.

Thanks again

Re: Cloning HD from one old MBPro to a new SSD - part2

<120320221245499787%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6924&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#6924

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 12:45:49 -0500
 by: nospam - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:45 UTC

In article <t0illj$gkb$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On the old machine its showing ~250 GB of photos in there so I will bite
> the bullet and copy all of that onto a spare SSD drive and then copy it
> to the newer machine. will let it go overnight again.

if the photos didn't copy, then there might be other stuff that didn't
copy, which is not a good thing.