"All snakes who wish to remain in Ireland will please raise their right hands." -- Saint Patrick

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

SubjectAuthor
* How do you solder a dripping pipe?me
+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Andy Burns
|`- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Brian Gaff
+- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?The Natural Philosopher
+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?alan_m
|+- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?alan_m
|`- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Robert
+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?R D S
+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?www.GymRats.uk
|+- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Peter Johnson
|`- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Rod Speed
+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?John Rumm
|+- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Fredxx
|`- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Dave Plowman (News)
+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Dave Plowman (News)
|`- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Andrew
+- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Rod Speed
+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Rob Morley
|`- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Andrew
`* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?rick
 `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?nothanks
  +* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  |+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Rod Speed
  ||`* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  || `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Rod Speed
  ||  `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Fredxx
  ||   `- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  |+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?nothanks
  ||`* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  || `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?nothanks
  ||  `- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  |`* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Dave Plowman (News)
  | +- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?PeterC
  | `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  |  `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Dave Plowman (News)
  |   +* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Fredxx
  |   |+* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Rod Speed
  |   ||`* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  |   || `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Rod Speed
  |   ||  `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  |   ||   `- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Rod Speed
  |   |`* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Dave Plowman (News)
  |   | +* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  |   | |`* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Dave Plowman (News)
  |   | | +- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  |   | | `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?alan_m
  |   | |  `- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  |   | `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?alan_m
  |   |  `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Fredxx
  |   |   `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Andy Burns
  |   |    `- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Fredxx
  |   `- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Animal
  `* Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?John Rumm
   +- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?nothanks
   +- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?alan_m
   +- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Tim Lamb
   +- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Fredxx
   `- Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?Dave Plowman (News)

Pages:123
Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<4e11621d-d4e9-4956-a28b-f7fb444a68fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73063&group=uk.d-i-y#73063

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:18:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 23:18 UTC

On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 00:12:43 UTC+1, rod.sp...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:25 +1100, Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> All the threads do is hold the joint together, it's the olive that does
> >> the work. Smearing the threads with something is akin to wrapping them
> >> with PTFE tape - both are a waste of time.
> >
> > Used pipe can be nicked, dented etc, on a tiny scale, and gloop can fill
> > those tiny imperfections helping it seal.
> The seal is NOT on the threads. That just holds the onion in place.

it's the olive that does the sealing, not the thread on a compression fitting

> > Olives bend into place but their ability to fill dents is limited.

> Still no point in putting gloop on the THREADS.

I wasn't talking about putting seal on the threads you fool. Read & comprehend before replying.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<op.1tweeylkbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73067&group=uk.d-i-y#73067

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:34:00 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 23:34 UTC

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:18:03 +1100, Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 00:12:43 UTC+1, rod.sp...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:25 +1100, Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> if
>> just

>> belt &
>> does
>> them
>> >
>> > Used pipe can be nicked, dented etc, on a tiny scale, and gloop can
>> fill
>> > those tiny imperfections helping it seal.
>> The seal is NOT on the threads. That just holds the onion in place.
>
> it's the olive that does the sealing, not the thread on a compression
> fitting

What I said.

>> > Olives bend into place but their ability to fill dents is limited.
>
>> Still no point in putting gloop on the THREADS.
>
> I wasn't talking about putting seal on the threads you fool. Read &
> comprehend before replying.

You are the one that needs to do that.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<ti51ij$176q8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73072&group=uk.d-i-y#73072

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 01:25:53 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 00:25 UTC

On 11/10/2022 21:25, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 11/10/2022 20:24, rick wrote:

>> No problem with using a good compression joint .... of you want belt &
>> braces, smear threads with LSX

> All the threads do is hold the joint together, it's the olive that does
> the work.

Indeed.

> Smearing the threads with something is akin to wrapping them
> with PTFE tape - both are a waste of time.

Only if you make the mistake of assuming that using PTFE on threads is
an attempt at making a seal :-)

The reason PTFE on threads *can* be useful is as a dry, mess free,
lubricant, allowing tightening with less effort, and no squeaking and
groaning as they tighten.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<jqnc0uF5d1sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73086&group=uk.d-i-y#73086

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:26:07 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 08:26 UTC

On 12/10/2022 00:01, Animal wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 October 2022 at 21:25:31 UTC+1, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
>>>

>>> No problem with using a good compression joint .... of you want belt &
>>> braces, smear threads with LSX
>> All the threads do is hold the joint together, it's the olive that does
>> the work. Smearing the threads with something is akin to wrapping them
>> with PTFE tape - both are a waste of time.
>
> Used pipe can be nicked, dented etc, on a tiny scale, and gloop can fill those tiny imperfections helping it seal. Olives bend into place but their ability to fill dents is limited.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean there's any point in putting anything on
the threads ... and I would never put a joint on a damaged pipe.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<jqnctiF5hiuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73092&group=uk.d-i-y#73092

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:41:23 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 08:41 UTC

On 12/10/2022 01:25, John Rumm wrote:
> On 11/10/2022 21:25, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> On 11/10/2022 20:24, rick wrote:
>
>>> No problem with using a good compression joint .... of you want belt
>>> & braces, smear threads with LSX
>
>> All the threads do is hold the joint together, it's the olive that
>> does the work.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> Smearing the threads with something is akin to wrapping them with PTFE
>> tape - both are a waste of time.
>
> Only if you make the mistake of assuming that using PTFE on threads is
> an attempt at making a seal :-)
>
> The reason PTFE on threads *can* be useful is as a dry, mess free,
> lubricant, allowing tightening with less effort, and no squeaking and
> groaning as they tighten.

Yes, that's true. I put a very light smear of jet blue or boss white on
the sealing faces of the olive and a little of this invariably ends up
on the thread and acts as lube.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<jqnd3dF5cjfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73094&group=uk.d-i-y#73094

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:44:29 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 08:44 UTC

On 12/10/2022 01:25, John Rumm wrote:

> The reason PTFE on threads *can* be useful is as a dry, mess free,
> lubricant, allowing tightening with less effort, and no squeaking and
> groaning as they tighten.

+1

If when tightening a compression join it squeaks and groans probably
means that the pipes entering the fitting are not truly in line with the
fitting bores. Possibly somewhat unavoidable in some circumstances when
repairing or modifying and existing installation and lubricating the
thread with ptfe tape can make the tightening of the fitting easier.

In the very many years of DIY plumbing I've noticed not all olives are
created equally.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<ff9M3UVygoRjFw9K@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73114&group=uk.d-i-y#73114

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:26:10 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:26 UTC

In message <ti51ij$176q8$2@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 11/10/2022 21:25, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> On 11/10/2022 20:24, rick wrote:
>
>>> No problem with using a good compression joint .... of you want belt
>>>& braces, smear threads with LSX
>
>> All the threads do is hold the joint together, it's the olive that
>>does the work.
>
>Indeed.
>
>> Smearing the threads with something is akin to wrapping them with
>>PTFE tape - both are a waste of time.
>
>Only if you make the mistake of assuming that using PTFE on threads is
>an attempt at making a seal :-)
>
>The reason PTFE on threads *can* be useful is as a dry, mess free,
>lubricant, allowing tightening with less effort, and no squeaking and
>groaning as they tighten.

Interesting issue yesterday.

After threats from domestic management, I finally got around to checking
and turning on the underfloor heating. Fair bit of white deposit around
the temperature control valve assembled as part of the distribution
manifold.

Supply pipe secured by conventional nut and olive to a threaded sleeve
screwed to the male input port on the valve. Whole issue larded up with
plumbers paste so I guess the installers struggled to get a seal.

Problem turned out to be a design/manufacturing defect in that the
sleeve was too long (or the valve thread too short) to compress an
internal sealing washer!

Turning a few mm off the sleeve seems to have done the job.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<ti6dbi$1gjd0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73149&group=uk.d-i-y#73149

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 13:53:07 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:53 UTC

On 12/10/2022 00:34, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:18:03 +1100, Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 00:12:43 UTC+1, rod.sp...@gmail.com
>> wrote:

>>> know if
>>> pipes just

>>> belt &
>>> does
>>> them

>>> fill
>>> The seal is NOT on the threads. That just holds the onion in place.
>>
>> it's the olive that does the sealing, not the thread on a compression
>> fitting
>
> What I said.

>>> Still no point in putting gloop on the THREADS.
>>
>> I wasn't talking about putting seal on the threads you fool. Read &
>> comprehend before replying.
>
> You are the one that needs to do that.

Please quote any text where TB mentioned threads. He mentioned
imperfection in pipes, and "Olives bend into place but their ability to
fill dents is limited".

You're slowly getting worse.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<ti6dih$1gjd0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73151&group=uk.d-i-y#73151

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 13:56:50 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:56 UTC

On 12/10/2022 01:25, John Rumm wrote:
> On 11/10/2022 21:25, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> On 11/10/2022 20:24, rick wrote:
>
>>> No problem with using a good compression joint .... of you want belt
>>> & braces, smear threads with LSX
>
>> All the threads do is hold the joint together, it's the olive that
>> does the work.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> Smearing the threads with something is akin to wrapping them with PTFE
>> tape - both are a waste of time.
>
> Only if you make the mistake of assuming that using PTFE on threads is
> an attempt at making a seal :-)
>
> The reason PTFE on threads *can* be useful is as a dry, mess free,
> lubricant, allowing tightening with less effort, and no squeaking and
> groaning as they tighten.

I understand that but it looks awful and amateurish. I would rather use
a grease or some other lubricant.

I guess in the OP's situation under the floor and out of the way it
wouldn't be an eyesore.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<5a3645668adave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73193&group=uk.d-i-y#73193

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:02:25 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:02 UTC

In article <05c94002-0d4f-4347-bc7c-b980ec9e78b2n@googlegroups.com>,
Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Used pipe can be nicked, dented etc, on a tiny scale, and gloop can fill
> those tiny imperfections helping it seal. Olives bend into place but
> their ability to fill dents is limited.

Then clean the pipe properly before fitting. If any damage beyond
cleaning, cut it back to good.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<5a36457cc7dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73194&group=uk.d-i-y#73194

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:03:22 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:03 UTC

In article <ti51ij$176q8$2@dont-email.me>,
John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> The reason PTFE on threads *can* be useful is as a dry, mess free,
> lubricant, allowing tightening with less effort, and no squeaking and
> groaning as they tighten.

Tightening them till they groan is the way I'm sure they're tight enough.
;-)

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<vpmsrry0h77n$.1oqoq0r4p69ca.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73199&group=uk.d-i-y#73199

From: giraffen...@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:39:31 +0100
 by: PeterC - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:39 UTC

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:02:25 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> In article <05c94002-0d4f-4347-bc7c-b980ec9e78b2n@googlegroups.com>,
> Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Used pipe can be nicked, dented etc, on a tiny scale, and gloop can fill
>> those tiny imperfections helping it seal. Olives bend into place but
>> their ability to fill dents is limited.
>
> Then clean the pipe properly before fitting. If any damage beyond
> cleaning, cut it back to good.

Couldn't do that when changing a valve on a rad. - short pipe out of
concrete, so no room for another fitting.
I find that a smear of sealant on the thread reduces the friction and aids
correct tightness, rather like not letting friction in a thread distort
torque spanner use.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<c5e2a79f-4590-4d54-93ca-e0fe5342b825n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73437&group=uk.d-i-y#73437

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 18:13:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 01:13 UTC

On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 09:26:11 UTC+1, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 12/10/2022 00:01, Animal wrote:

> >> All the threads do is hold the joint together, it's the olive that does
> >> the work. Smearing the threads with something is akin to wrapping them
> >> with PTFE tape - both are a waste of time.
> >
> > Used pipe can be nicked, dented etc, on a tiny scale, and gloop can fill those tiny imperfections helping it seal. Olives bend into place but their ability to fill dents is limited.
> Agreed, but that doesn't mean there's any point in putting anything on
> the threads ... and I would never put a joint on a damaged pipe.

In the real world, old pipe is not perfect, tiny nicks & pits are normal, and the job still has to be done. With the addition of a tiny amount of gloop it's a good bit more likely to seal IME - but I'm not a pro plumber.

The threads don't have anything to do with it.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<0dc25aec-5306-4b41-84e4-383d04c39850n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73438&group=uk.d-i-y#73438

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 18:15:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 01:15 UTC

On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 13:53:11 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
> On 12/10/2022 00:34, Rod Speed wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:18:03 +1100, Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> it's the olive that does the sealing, not the thread on a compression
> >> fitting
> >
> > What I said.

> >> I wasn't talking about putting seal on the threads you fool. Read &
> >> comprehend before replying.
> >
> > You are the one that needs to do that.
> Please quote any text where TB mentioned threads. He mentioned
> imperfection in pipes, and "Olives bend into place but their ability to
> fill dents is limited".
> You're slowly getting worse.

Rod's always been a near 100% time waster.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<150aed37-f06c-4ecb-8f4f-11523c2d51b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73439&group=uk.d-i-y#73439

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 18:16:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 01:16 UTC

On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 16:09:05 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <05c94002-0d4f-4347...@googlegroups.com>,
> Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Used pipe can be nicked, dented etc, on a tiny scale, and gloop can fill
> > those tiny imperfections helping it seal. Olives bend into place but
> > their ability to fill dents is limited.
> Then clean the pipe properly before fitting. If any damage beyond
> cleaning, cut it back to good.

You joke surely. Or maybe you only work on new builds.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<jqvcs2F4tf1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73491&group=uk.d-i-y#73491

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:29:39 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:29 UTC

On 15/10/2022 02:13, Animal wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 09:26:11 UTC+1, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:

>>> Used pipe can be nicked, dented etc, on a tiny scale, and gloop can fill those tiny imperfections helping it seal. Olives bend into place but their ability to fill dents is limited.
>> Agreed, but that doesn't mean there's any point in putting anything on
>> the threads ... and I would never put a joint on a damaged pipe.
>
> In the real world, old pipe is not perfect, tiny nicks & pits are normal, and the job still has to be done. With the addition of a tiny amount of gloop it's a good bit more likely to seal IME - but I'm not a pro plumber.
>
> The threads don't have anything to do with it.
Any damaged pipe that coincides with a new joint should be chopped-off
and replaced, or "re-rounded", rather than bu&&ering about with "gloop"
in the hope that it works.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<47c0302b-3bb3-4ccd-8403-afc8e9968c5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73509&group=uk.d-i-y#73509

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 05:56:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:56 UTC

On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 10:29:42 UTC+1, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 15/10/2022 02:13, Animal wrote:

> >> Agreed, but that doesn't mean there's any point in putting anything on
> >> the threads ... and I would never put a joint on a damaged pipe.
> >
> > In the real world, old pipe is not perfect, tiny nicks & pits are normal, and the job still has to be done. With the addition of a tiny amount of gloop it's a good bit more likely to seal IME - but I'm not a pro plumber.
> >
> > The threads don't have anything to do with it.
> Any damaged pipe that coincides with a new joint should be chopped-off
> and replaced, or "re-rounded", rather than bu&&ering about with "gloop"
> in the hope that it works.

Most old pipe is imperfect, and IME glooped olives are quite reliable. I think maybe some are trying to reinterpret things.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<5a37ce5d30dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73532&group=uk.d-i-y#73532

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 15:34:37 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:34 UTC

In article <150aed37-f06c-4ecb-8f4f-11523c2d51b5n@googlegroups.com>,
Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 16:09:05 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > In article <05c94002-0d4f-4347...@googlegroups.com>,
> > Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Used pipe can be nicked, dented etc, on a tiny scale, and gloop can fill
> > > those tiny imperfections helping it seal. Olives bend into place but
> > > their ability to fill dents is limited.
> > Then clean the pipe properly before fitting. If any damage beyond
> > cleaning, cut it back to good.

> You joke surely. Or maybe you only work on new builds.

If I came across a pipe so badly damaged it couldn't accept a fitting, I'd
replace it.

--
*No hand signals. Driver on Viagra*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<tiej8t$2pt61$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73545&group=uk.d-i-y#73545

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 16:23:10 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 15:23 UTC

> In article <150aed37-f06c-4ecb-8f4f-11523c2d51b5n@googlegroups.com>,
> Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 16:09:05 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>>> Then clean the pipe properly before fitting. If any damage beyond
>>> cleaning, cut it back to good.
>
>> You joke surely. Or maybe you only work on new builds.
>
> If I came across a pipe so badly damaged it couldn't accept a fitting, I'd
> replace it.

Do you have any insurance?

If a pipe is lightly damaged but can take an olive, it is simply an
insurance policy to add a sealant, just in case there is a void under
the olive.

What is so difficult about that?

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<op.1t279ezmbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73552&group=uk.d-i-y#73552

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 03:04:16 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 16:04 UTC

On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 02:23:10 +1100, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

> On 15/10/2022 15:34, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article <150aed37-f06c-4ecb-8f4f-11523c2d51b5n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You joke surely. Or maybe you only work on new builds.
>> If I came across a pipe so badly damaged it couldn't accept a fitting,
>> I'd
>> replace it.

> Do you have any insurance?

Only what is compulsory.

> If a pipe is lightly damaged but can take an olive, it is simply an
> insurance policy to add a sealant, just in case there is a void under
> the olive.

> What is so difficult about that?

What is so difficult about replacing the pipe to ensure that there can't
be a problem ?

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<5a38501b95dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73688&group=uk.d-i-y#73688

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 15:11:48 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 14:11 UTC

In article <tiej8t$2pt61$4@dont-email.me>,
Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
> On 15/10/2022 15:34, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > In article <150aed37-f06c-4ecb-8f4f-11523c2d51b5n@googlegroups.com>,
> > Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> You joke surely. Or maybe you only work on new builds.
> >
> > If I came across a pipe so badly damaged it couldn't accept a fitting,
> > I'd replace it.

> Do you have any insurance?

> If a pipe is lightly damaged but can take an olive, it is simply an
> insurance policy to add a sealant, just in case there is a void under
> the olive.

It won't be light damage to a pipe if adding gunge to an olive sorts it.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<bbd1b24d-31cf-4fee-a21b-88d44c45caccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73747&group=uk.d-i-y#73747

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 19:12:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 02:12 UTC

On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 15:40:24 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <150aed37-f06c-4ecb...@googlegroups.com>,
> Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 16:09:05 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > > Then clean the pipe properly before fitting. If any damage beyond
> > > cleaning, cut it back to good.
>
> > You joke surely. Or maybe you only work on new builds.
> If I came across a pipe so badly damaged it couldn't accept a fitting, I'd
> replace it.

Sure. But how is that relevant to the discussion so far?

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<17b80e09-f8e3-433c-8d60-4d940b91934dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73748&group=uk.d-i-y#73748

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 19:13:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 02:13 UTC

On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 17:04:23 UTC+1, rod.sp...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 02:23:10 +1100, Fredxx <fre...@spam.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 15/10/2022 15:34, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> >> If I came across a pipe so badly damaged it couldn't accept a fitting,
> >> I'd
> >> replace it.
>
> > Do you have any insurance?
> Only what is compulsory.
> > If a pipe is lightly damaged but can take an olive, it is simply an
> > insurance policy to add a sealant, just in case there is a void under
> > the olive.
>
> > What is so difficult about that?
> What is so difficult about replacing the pipe to ensure that there can't
> be a problem ?

It's completely pointless & doesn't ensure there can't be a problem.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<dc955cca-5474-4669-a722-e88cdec7dc35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73749&group=uk.d-i-y#73749

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 19:14:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 02:14 UTC

On Sunday, 16 October 2022 at 15:17:46 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <tiej8t$2pt61$4...@dont-email.me>,
> Fredxx <fre...@spam.uk> wrote:
> > On 15/10/2022 15:34, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > > If I came across a pipe so badly damaged it couldn't accept a fitting,
> > > I'd replace it.
>
> > Do you have any insurance?
>
> > If a pipe is lightly damaged but can take an olive, it is simply an
> > insurance policy to add a sealant, just in case there is a void under
> > the olive.
> It won't be light damage to a pipe if adding gunge to an olive sorts it.

incorrect. Old pipes with minor surface imperfections are widespread. Olives aren't designed to cope with that, but add a smear of gloop & they do fine.

Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?

<op.1t5w9ivvbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73754&group=uk.d-i-y#73754

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 13:59:32 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 02:59 UTC

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 13:13:07 +1100, Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 17:04:23 UTC+1, rod.sp...@gmail.com
> wrote:

>> can
>> but

>> fitting,
>>
>> > Do you have any insurance?
>> Only what is compulsory.
>> > If a pipe is lightly damaged but can take an olive, it is simply an
>> > insurance policy to add a sealant, just in case there is a void under
>> > the olive.
>>
>> > What is so difficult about that?
>> What is so difficult about replacing the pipe to ensure that there can't
>> be a problem ?
>
> It's completely pointless

Nope, it eliminates the possibility that the union won't work properly.

> & doesn't ensure there can't be a problem.

Corse it does.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: How do you solder a dripping pipe?