A penny saved is ridiculous.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Getting on with the job

SubjectAuthor
* Getting on with the jobSam Plusnet
+* Re: Getting on with the jobSid Nuncius
|+* Re: Getting on with the jobJohn Ashby
||`* Re: Getting on with the jobAxlegrease
|| +- Re: Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
|| `- Re: Getting on with the jobSid Nuncius
|+* Re: Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
||`- Re: Getting on with the jobChris
|+* Re: Getting on with the jobChris
||`* Re: Getting on with the jobkrw
|| +* Re: Getting on with the jobsteve hague
|| |`* Re: Getting on with the jobPenny
|| | `* Re: Getting on with the jobJohn Ashby
|| |  `- Re: Getting on with the jobsteve hague
|| `- Re: Getting on with the jobChris
|`* Re: Getting on with the jobsteve hague
| +* Re: Getting on with the jobKate B
| |+- Re: Getting on with the jobClive Arthur
| |`- Re: Getting on with the jobsteve hague
| `* Re: Getting on with the jobJim Easterbrook
|  `- Re: Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
+* Re: Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
|+- Re: Getting on with the jobMike McMillan
|`- Re: Getting on with the jobSam Plusnet
+* Re: Getting on with the jobNick Odell
|+- Re: Getting on with the jobClive Arthur
|`* Re: Getting on with the jobJ. P. Gilliver (John)
| `- Re: Getting on with the jobVicky
`* Re: Getting on with the jobClive Arthur
 `- Re: Getting on with the jobSid Nuncius

Pages:12
Getting on with the job

<WDn5K.713182$oF2.89376@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7458&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7458

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Subject: Getting on with the job
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 00:08:38 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 23:08 UTC

What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
"Getting on with The Job".

I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
surprised.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Getting on with the job

<jbn7grF1kegU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7461&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7461

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Getting on with the job
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 07:05:13 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 06:05 UTC

On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
> pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
> "Getting on with The Job".
>
> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
> surprised.

I cannot even bring myself to be ironic about it. It's just so
profoundly depressing. Is there absolutely no sense of honour or shame
left anywhere in politics now? If breaking the law and then lying about
it in the House Of Commons isn't a resigning matter any more, then it
seems to me that we're simply screwed. Those in positions of power and
privilege can just do as they like without consequence, which is not, to
put it mildly, as it should be in a democratic country with the rule of law.

I imagine Conservative canvassers for the local elections will have an
interesting time. Or maybe not; people may just have reached the point
of thinking it's not even worth getting angry because it's just a waste
of time and energy: no-one cares.

Sorry, but I am genuinely just depressed to the core by this. I hope at
least that no champagne got sprayed on that Millionaire's Wallpaper.[1]

[1]Well, maybe just a tiny bit ironic.

--
Sid

Re: Getting on with the job

<t35s30$o98$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7462&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7462

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 07:54:24 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 06:54 UTC

On 13/04/2022 07:05, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this
>> trifling pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere
>> with "Getting on with The Job".
>>
>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>> surprised.
>
> I cannot even bring myself to be ironic about it.  It's just so
> profoundly depressing.  Is there absolutely no sense of honour or shame
> left anywhere in politics now?  If breaking the law and then lying about
> it in the House Of Commons isn't a resigning matter any more, then it
> seems to me that we're simply screwed.  Those in positions of power and
> privilege can just do as they like without consequence, which is not, to
> put it mildly, as it should be in a democratic country with the rule of
> law.
>
> I imagine Conservative canvassers for the local elections will have an
> interesting time.  Or maybe not; people may just have reached the point
> of thinking it's not even worth getting angry because it's just a waste
> of time and energy: no-one cares.
>
> Sorry, but I am genuinely just depressed to the core by this.  I hope at
> least that no champagne got sprayed on that Millionaire's Wallpaper.[1]
>

> [1]Well, maybe just a tiny bit ironic.

Allegedly Labour canvassers are getting "Who cares about Partygate,
there's a war on" and Conservative ones are getting "Get the corkscrew,
darling, it's the Tories come for a booze-up."

john

Re: Getting on with the job

<ae731690-2e58-4be0-b066-901dc6f79c16n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7463&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7463

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 00:39:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: scribble...@gmail.com (Axlegrease)
 by: Axlegrease - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 07:39 UTC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 7:54:26 AM UTC+1, John Ashby wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 07:05, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> > On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> >> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this
> >> trifling pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere
> >> with "Getting on with The Job".

I'm beyond depressed; been that way ever since that shameless charlatan became PM.
Led by Donkeys has produced this video - worth a few minutes of your time.

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1514121732537393153?s=20&t=FslFbe5MwfjihFiQg7hhEw

Re: Getting on with the job

<t3600d$joj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7464&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7464

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:01:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:y8mEFUKXIOaVnHUBGkoenS5IxQM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:01 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
> pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
> "Getting on with The Job".
>
> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
> surprised.

The only lesson we need to learn and remember is: Don’t get found out’ Oh!
We were found out - oh! Well, err…. I am sorry, I have work to do…… um….
Anyway, if I did mislead anyone by making a factually inexactitudinal
comment, I didn’t do it intentionally so it doesn’t count anyway.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Getting on with the job

<t3608f$lkg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7465&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7465

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:05:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:o5nVOufhc/tgKGnTfTHgtIG3iwY=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:05 UTC

Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
>> pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
>> "Getting on with The Job".
>>
>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>> surprised.
>
> I cannot even bring myself to be ironic about it. It's just so
> profoundly depressing. Is there absolutely no sense of honour or shame
> left anywhere in politics now? If breaking the law and then lying about
> it in the House Of Commons isn't a resigning matter any more, then it
> seems to me that we're simply screwed. Those in positions of power and
> privilege can just do as they like without consequence, which is not, to
> put it mildly, as it should be in a democratic country with the rule of law.
>
> I imagine Conservative canvassers for the local elections will have an
> interesting time. Or maybe not; people may just have reached the point
> of thinking it's not even worth getting angry because it's just a waste
> of time and energy: no-one cares.
>
> Sorry, but I am genuinely just depressed to the core by this. I hope at
> least that no champagne got sprayed on that Millionaire's Wallpaper.[1]
>

> [1]Well, maybe just a tiny bit ironic.

Or as I once wrote to my then Tory MP, ‘I didn’t vote for you but as we are
stuck with you, I am bringing this matter to your attention’ …. And went on
to request his attention. Oh yes, the matter was (eventually) dealt with
but I know not whether he had intervened or other powers had come to bear
on the situation.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Getting on with the job

<t360qc$ppm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7466&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7466

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:15:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:E6qkvYRk/kM3U6V0Y3W1THlspkA=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:15 UTC

Axlegrease <scribbles.lincs@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 7:54:26 AM UTC+1, John Ashby wrote:
>>>>

> I'm beyond depressed; been that way ever since that shameless charlatan became PM.
> Led by Donkeys has produced this video - worth a few minutes of your time.
>
> https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1514121732537393153?s=20&t=FslFbe5MwfjihFiQg7hhEw

Oh very good indeed! This should be played by the BBC as often as they plug
‘Sounds’ well alright, a tenth as often will still give good coverage!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Getting on with the job

<t361ef$u3m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7467&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7467

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:25:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:NrsKQSzWimXdZ1E6HqOuaRuT/ms=
 by: Chris - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:25 UTC

Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
>> pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
>> "Getting on with The Job".
>>
>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>> surprised.
>
> I cannot even bring myself to be ironic about it. It's just so
> profoundly depressing. Is there absolutely no sense of honour or shame
> left anywhere in politics now? If breaking the law and then lying about
> it in the House Of Commons isn't a resigning matter any more, then it
> seems to me that we're simply screwed. Those in positions of power and
> privilege can just do as they like without consequence, which is not, to
> put it mildly, as it should be in a democratic country with the rule of law.
>
> I imagine Conservative canvassers for the local elections will have an
> interesting time. Or maybe not; people may just have reached the point
> of thinking it's not even worth getting angry because it's just a waste
> of time and energy: no-one cares.
>
> Sorry, but I am genuinely just depressed to the core by this. I hope at
> least that no champagne got sprayed on that Millionaire's Wallpaper.[1]
>

> [1]Well, maybe just a tiny bit ironic.

I didn’t waste an time on mine, they were round like rats up a drainpipe

Sincerely Chris

Re: Getting on with the job

<t361eg$u3m$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7468&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7468

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:25:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8GOArO7fOZ0hOXkRsMFJroJ3vrI=

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
>>> pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
>>> "Getting on with The Job".
>>>
>>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>>> surprised.
>>
>> I cannot even bring myself to be ironic about it. It's just so
>> profoundly depressing. Is there absolutely no sense of honour or shame
>> left anywhere in politics now? If breaking the law and then lying about
>> it in the House Of Commons isn't a resigning matter any more, then it
>> seems to me that we're simply screwed. Those in positions of power and
>> privilege can just do as they like without consequence, which is not, to
>> put it mildly, as it should be in a democratic country with the rule of law.
>>
>> I imagine Conservative canvassers for the local elections will have an
>> interesting time. Or maybe not; people may just have reached the point
>> of thinking it's not even worth getting angry because it's just a waste
>> of time and energy: no-one cares.
>>
>> Sorry, but I am genuinely just depressed to the core by this. I hope at
>> least that no champagne got sprayed on that Millionaire's Wallpaper.[1]
>>

>> [1]Well, maybe just a tiny bit ironic.
>>

> Or as I once wrote to my then Tory MP, ‘I didn’t vote for you but as we are
> stuck with you, I am bringing this matter to your attention’ …. And went on
> to request his attention. Oh yes, the matter was (eventually) dealt with
> but I know not whether he had intervened or other powers had come to bear
> on the situation.

And thanks to a change in ward boundaries, he hadn’t been our MP for a long
time. Other local-rats may be different.

Mrs McT

Re: Getting on with the job

<jbngb6F3955U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7469&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7469

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 09:35:49 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:35 UTC

On 13/04/2022 08:39, Axlegrease wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 7:54:26 AM UTC+1, John Ashby wrote:
>>>>

> I'm beyond depressed; been that way ever since that shameless charlatan became PM.
> Led by Donkeys has produced this video - worth a few minutes of your time.
>
> https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1514121732537393153?s=20&t=FslFbe5MwfjihFiQg7hhEw

Agreed. Excellent. Thank you.

--
Sid

Re: Getting on with the job

<t362rq$17om$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7470&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7470

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 09:50:38 +0100
 by: krw - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:50 UTC

On 13.4.22 09:25, Chris wrote:
> Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
>>> pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
>>> "Getting on with The Job".
>>>
>>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>>> surprised.
>>
>> I cannot even bring myself to be ironic about it. It's just so
>> profoundly depressing. Is there absolutely no sense of honour or shame
>> left anywhere in politics now? If breaking the law and then lying about
>> it in the House Of Commons isn't a resigning matter any more, then it
>> seems to me that we're simply screwed. Those in positions of power and
>> privilege can just do as they like without consequence, which is not, to
>> put it mildly, as it should be in a democratic country with the rule of law.
>>
>> I imagine Conservative canvassers for the local elections will have an
>> interesting time. Or maybe not; people may just have reached the point
>> of thinking it's not even worth getting angry because it's just a waste
>> of time and energy: no-one cares.
>>
>> Sorry, but I am genuinely just depressed to the core by this. I hope at
>> least that no champagne got sprayed on that Millionaire's Wallpaper.[1]
>>

>> [1]Well, maybe just a tiny bit ironic.
>>

> I didn’t waste an time on mine, they were round like rats up a drainpipe
>
> Sincerely Chris

The rat appearing in our garden seems to have no interest in drainpipes.
Although the bird feeder appeals to him. If we see him again I will
put out some poison - would that work in Downing Street?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Getting on with the job

<9v4d5htcaprjrasr1bmk4r2mh1hqmsciqu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7471&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7471

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:55:41 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 09:55 UTC

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 00:08:38 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
>pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
>"Getting on with The Job".
>
>I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>surprised.

This morning I have been mostly reading (well... skim-reading)
Labour's first manifesto for 1974. How that happened is all a bit
stream-of-consciousness but I'll include my workings at the bottom.[1]

1974. Big country which would almost surround a little country if it
wasn't for the sea in between, invades small country to the horror of
those around.

1974. High inflation. Energy crisis. Rows with Europe. Honestly: is
there nothing we learn from history other than nobody ever learns from
history?

Nick
[1]a] Musing on Rishi Sunak. Philosophical question: Is the stuff that
he did at the start of the pandemic (loans, grants, furlough etc)
invalidated by where he was coming from (allegiance to other nations,
non-dom, billionaire family etc)?

b] This is a follow-on from musings about Erich Hatala Matthes' book
Drawing The Line - where do we stand on good art made by bad people?
The discussion on Front Row last month is still available to listen
and I'd recommend it https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0015lxw

c]Q. So where are the allegiances of the PM, the Chancellor, the
Minister for Brexit Opportunities, the previous Attorney General etc?

A. Recently renounced US citizenship, recently renounced US Green
Card/India, Companies set up in Ireland, British Virgin Islands
Territories, etc. And let's not forget Russia

Does this mean they can't do a good job for Dear Old Blighty? Of
course not: but if anybody understands the principles of short
selling, they do and they can make as much money for themselves and
their chums by short selling as by boosting Britain. Maybe more.
Selling England by the Pound.

d]Selling England by the Pound. Genesis Album whose title was inspired
by a line in an early Labour Party manifesto sent me scurrying to
Labour Party manifestos where I found 1974. Not the one that inspired
the album and the song but for me reading it was deja vu all over
again.

e]I tried to play the album on YouTube this morning but only got a few
minutes in. Sorry: even though I contributed to one of Mike
Rutherford's double-neck guitar/basses, I still don't really see the
point of Genesis.

Re: Getting on with the job

<t36789$8qo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7472&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7472

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:04:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GM5Vkx6Kf33C269daUiTNagbCM8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:04 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
>> pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
>> "Getting on with The Job".
>>
>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>> surprised.
>>

> The only lesson we need to learn and remember is: Don’t get found out’ Oh!
> We were found out - oh! Well, err…. I am sorry, I have work to do…… um….
> Anyway, if I did mislead anyone by making a factually inexactitudinal
> comment, I didn’t do it intentionally so it doesn’t count anyway.

‘And any way, I had my fingers crossed behind my back and my buttocks
clenched at the time.’

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Getting on with the job

<t369gt$p5o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7473&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7473

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:43:39 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:43 UTC

On 13/04/2022 10:55, Nick Odell wrote:
<snip>

> I tried to play [Selling England by the Pound] on YouTube this morning but only got a few
> minutes in. Sorry: even though I contributed to one of Mike
> Rutherford's double-neck guitar/basses, I still don't really see the
> point of Genesis.

Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot I thought excellent, but it was all downhill
then. And even worse when it became Phil Collins' band.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Getting on with the job

<t36akb$10as$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7474&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7474

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:02:31 +0100
 by: steve hague - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:02 UTC

On 13/04/2022 07:05, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this
>> trifling pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere
>> with "Getting on with The Job".
>>
>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>> surprised.
>
> I cannot even bring myself to be ironic about it.  It's just so
> profoundly depressing.  Is there absolutely no sense of honour or shame
> left anywhere in politics now?  If breaking the law and then lying about
> it in the House Of Commons isn't a resigning matter any more, then it
> seems to me that we're simply screwed.  Those in positions of power and
> privilege can just do as they like without consequence, which is not, to
> put it mildly, as it should be in a democratic country with the rule of
> law.
>
> I imagine Conservative canvassers for the local elections will have an
> interesting time.  Or maybe not; people may just have reached the point
> of thinking it's not even worth getting angry because it's just a waste
> of time and energy: no-one cares.
>
> Sorry, but I am genuinely just depressed to the core by this.  I hope at
> least that no champagne got sprayed on that Millionaire's Wallpaper.[1]
>

> [1]Well, maybe just a tiny bit ironic.

The most depressing part as far as I'm concerned is that this sort of
behaviour doesn't seem to bother many people. It's just Boris, but at
least he got Brexit done. Come the next general election, the turkeys
will still be voting for Christmas dinner. The other depressing thing
for me is looking at the alternatives if Boris should by some terrible
accident fall on his sword. Prime Minister Michael Gove? They all seem
to be rich people from highly priveleged backgrounds. Should we elect
Labour, led by Sir Kier Starmer? Meet the new boss, same as the old
boss.Even his name doesn't ring true. It makes me nostalgic for PMQs,
when it was Tony Blair vs William Hague, both erudite and intelligent
men who knew how to construct an argument.
Steve

Re: Getting on with the job

<t36b0t$13ce$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7475&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7475

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:09:14 +0100
 by: steve hague - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:09 UTC

> The rat appearing in our garden seems to have no interest in drainpipes.
>  Although the bird feeder appeals to him.  If we see him again I will
> put out some poison - would that work in Downing Street?

We could ask the Russians for some advice on the matter.

Re: Getting on with the job

<4rOedlCBgsViFwfC@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7476&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7476

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:54:25 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:54 UTC

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 at 10:55:41, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
[]
>This morning I have been mostly reading (well... skim-reading)
>Labour's first manifesto for 1974. How that happened is all a bit
>stream-of-consciousness but I'll include my workings at the bottom.[1]
>
>1974. Big country which would almost surround a little country if it
>wasn't for the sea in between, invades small country to the horror of
>those around.
>
>1974. High inflation. Energy crisis. Rows with Europe. Honestly: is
>there nothing we learn from history other than nobody ever learns from
>history?

The latest generation (or two?) won't have experienced inflation in the
way we were used to in the 1970s, so it will be even more of a shock to
them. (The proper RPI figure - not this wishy-washy CPI one - is 9.0%.)
In those days, it had built up gradually, due to many causes.

>Nick
>[1]a] Musing on Rishi Sunak. Philosophical question: Is the stuff that
>he did at the start of the pandemic (loans, grants, furlough etc)

I remember my jaw metaphorically dropping when he announced that,
basically, the state would suddenly be paying 80% of the salary of -
what seemed like - the majority of the workforce. [Not least, where's
the money to do so coming from!] But, unlike many covering it (or at
least what they were _saying_), I didn't assume that was _his_ idea; I
assumed (and still do) that it was a decision made at the highest level
(cabinet would that be? Not even that I figure: lots of high-level
economists, probably. [Certainly not the PM.]), and that Mr. Sunak was
just tasked with _presenting_ it. I never really understood why
everybody - then and since - seemed/seems to be assuming it was all his
idea.

>invalidated by where he was coming from (allegiance to other nations,
>non-dom, billionaire family etc)?

See above - I don't see him as much more than a presenter of decisions
made by others. As with many such, though I'm sure some chancellors have
had some influence. As such, I don't see his personal circumstances as
that relevant. Note I'm not excusing any bad things he may or may not
have done - I just don't think they have that much impact. (Though such
coverage is universal nowadays.)

An aside: I think the coverage of his wife's tax affairs has had more
than a whiff of racism/xenophobia about it. They've back-pedalled a
little of late, but the reporting went like this: first, the headlines
screamed that she didn't pay tax. Then, they modified, that she didn't
pay tax *on earnings she made abroad*. Then - and this went on for quite
a long time, as news stories go - they admitted she didn't pay *UK* tax
on overseas earnings. Finally, they've admitted she _did_ pay tax on
those earnings *in the country they happened* - but that final admission
was made with much less noise than the initial headlines.

>b] This is a follow-on from musings about Erich Hatala Matthes' book
>Drawing The Line - where do we stand on good art made by bad people?
>The discussion on Front Row last month is still available to listen
>and I'd recommend it https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0015lxw

It's always a good starter for a debate! I think, personally, I incline
towards separation of the art from the artist, unless the art in itself
owes its existence to whatever bad thing was done (such as ivory
carvings).

It's actually part of a wider question. For example: some of what we
know about starvation - and other such things - is still derived from
the research done by the doctors of Auschwitz and similar. Should we
discard such knowledge? Of course, we should if it can be shown that
their methods were tainted by their views - if they made assumptions
that people of the races they despised were different, with no basis,
that makes the "knowledge" less valid.

>c]Q. So where are the allegiances of the PM, the Chancellor, the
>Minister for Brexit Opportunities, the previous Attorney General etc?
>
>A. Recently renounced US citizenship, recently renounced US Green
>Card/India, Companies set up in Ireland, British Virgin Islands
>Territories, etc. And let's not forget Russia
>
>Does this mean they can't do a good job for Dear Old Blighty? Of
>course not: but if anybody understands the principles of short
>selling, they do and they can make as much money for themselves and
>their chums by short selling as by boosting Britain. Maybe more.
>Selling England by the Pound.

All very thought-provoking!
[]
Basically, I think we all agree that "the end justifies the means" is
never a valid argument to justify the means. What is more difficult to
answer is that when the bad thing ("means") has been done, should we
then discard the result (the "end")?

I see it a lot in (fictional) US crime dramas: evidence, however clear
and unarguable, is discarded because of some procedural error (sometimes
quite minor, sometimes major) in how it was obtained ("fruit of the
poisonous tree" seems to be a common phrase used). What would seem to be
more sensible would be to use it, and punish those who obtained it if
necessary. I don't know how true this portrayal is.

"I'm a paranoid agnostic. I doubt the existence of God, but I'm sure there is
some force, somewhere, working against me." - Marc Maron

Re: Getting on with the job

<t36j7e$4qn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7477&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7477

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:29:16 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:29 UTC

On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
> pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
> "Getting on with The Job".
>
> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
> surprised.

The latest Private Eye cover picture is of Johnson and Zelensky shaking
hands, both saying, "Thank you for coming to my rescue!"

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Getting on with the job

<16sd5hlia3o0o9rncg9goscrtmk80ca87u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7479&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7479

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:49:36 +0100
 by: Vicky - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:49 UTC

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:54:25 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>The latest generation (or two?) won't have experienced inflation in the
>way we were used to in the 1970s, so it will be even more of a shock to
>them. (The proper RPI figure - not this wishy-washy CPI one - is 9.0%.)
>In those days, it had built up gradually, due to many causes.

In 1980 we moved house and the interest on the new mortgage went up
from 12% to 16% between contract and completion.

Re: Getting on with the job

<jbodnrF8qvqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7480&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7480

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:57:30 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:57 UTC

On 13/04/2022 14:29, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 00:08, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this
>> trifling pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere
>> with "Getting on with The Job".
>>
>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>> surprised.
>
> The latest Private Eye cover picture is of Johnson and Zelensky shaking
> hands, both saying, "Thank you for coming to my rescue!"

Quite. And as someone on The News Quiz (I think) said a couple of days
after the invasion, "I'll bet Boris Johnson and Prince Andrew have been
high-fiving each other".

--
Sid

Re: Getting on with the job

<h14e5hhu28urehrln1oq6pjo33pg5ifrq9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7485&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7485

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 19:02:35 +0100
 by: Penny - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 18:02 UTC

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:09:14 +0100, steve hague <stevehague82@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...

>> The rat appearing in our garden seems to have no interest in drainpipes.
>>  Although the bird feeder appeals to him.  If we see him again I will
>> put out some poison - would that work in Downing Street?
>>
>We could ask the Russians for some advice on the matter.

BTN
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Getting on with the job

<tqE5K.65900$f91.41985@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7486&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7486

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 19:14:49 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 18:14 UTC

On 13-Apr-22 9:01, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>> What a relief to know that our Dear Leader will not permit this trifling
>> pack of nonsense about parties in Downing Street to interfere with
>> "Getting on with The Job".
>>
>> I don't know if "Lessons have been Learned", but I would not be at all
>> surprised.
>>

> The only lesson we need to learn and remember is: Don’t get found out’ Oh!
> We were found out - oh! Well, err…. I am sorry, I have work to do…… um….
> Anyway, if I did mislead anyone by making a factually inexactitudinal
> comment, I didn’t do it intentionally so it doesn’t count anyway.

"I refer the honourable Member to my considerable history of factual
inexactitudes previously offered."

All the way back to when The Times got rid of him.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Getting on with the job

<t374te$qpt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7488&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7488

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 19:31:10 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 18:31 UTC

On 13/04/2022 19:02, Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:09:14 +0100, steve hague <stevehague82@gmail.com>
> scrawled in the dust...
>

>>> The rat appearing in our garden seems to have no interest in drainpipes.
>>>  Although the bird feeder appeals to him.  If we see him again I will
>>> put out some poison - would that work in Downing Street?
>>>
>> We could ask the Russians for some advice on the matter.
>
> BTN

Agreed

john

Re: Getting on with the job

<t38ag7$1mcd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7490&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7490

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 06:12:35 +0100
 by: steve hague - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 05:12 UTC

On 13/04/2022 19:31, John Ashby wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 19:02, Penny wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:09:14 +0100, steve hague <stevehague82@gmail.com>
>> scrawled in the dust...

>>> We could ask the Russians for some advice on the matter.
>>
>> BTN
>
> Agreed
>
> john

I'm honoured.😊

Re: Getting on with the job

<t38jh1$a52$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7492&group=uk.media.radio.archers#7492

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 07:46:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mHeqhwMywe2qKT60ahL0i1EjYOU=
 by: Chris - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 07:46 UTC

krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 13.4.22 09:25, Chris wrote:
>> Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I cannot even bring myself to be ironic about it. It's just so
>>> profoundly depressing. Is there absolutely no sense of honour or shame
>>> left anywhere in politics now? If breaking the law and then lying about
>>> it in the House Of Commons isn't a resigning matter any more, then it
>>> seems to me that we're simply screwed. Those in positions of power and
>>> privilege can just do as they like without consequence, which is not, to
>>> put it mildly, as it should be in a democratic country with the rule of law.
>>>
>>> I imagine Conservative canvassers for the local elections will have an
>>> interesting time. Or maybe not; people may just have reached the point
>>> of thinking it's not even worth getting angry because it's just a waste
>>> of time and energy: no-one cares.
>>>
>>> Sorry, but I am genuinely just depressed to the core by this. I hope at
>>> least that no champagne got sprayed on that Millionaire's Wallpaper.[1]
>>>

>>> [1]Well, maybe just a tiny bit ironic.
>>>

>> I didn’t waste an time on mine, they were round like rats up a drainpipe
>>
>> Sincerely Chris
>>

> The rat appearing in our garden seems to have no interest in drainpipes.
> Although the bird feeder appeals to him. If we see him again I will
> put out some poison - would that work in Downing Street?

But, but they already have a cat …..

Sincerely Chris