Nice guys finish last. -- Leo Durocher

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Off-peak energy discounts

SubjectAuthor
* Off-peak energy discountsRJH
+* Re: Off-peak energy discountsalan_m
|+* Re: Off-peak energy discountsChris Hogg
||+- Re: Off-peak energy discountsalan_m
||`* Re: Off-peak energy discountsTim+
|| `- Re: Off-peak energy discountsalan_m
|+- Re: Off-peak energy discountsTim+
|+- Re: Off-peak energy discountsbert
|`- Re: Off-peak energy discountsRJH
+* Re: Off-peak energy discountsThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Off-peak energy discountsalan_m
+* Re: Off-peak energy discountsSpike
|+- Re: Off-peak energy discountsTim+
|`* Re: Off-peak energy discountsalan_m
| `- Re: Off-peak energy discountsTheo
+* Re: Off-peak energy discountsBrian Gaff
|+- Re: Off-peak energy discountsTim+
|`* Re: Off-peak energy discountsMax Demian
| `* Re: Off-peak energy discountsRod Speed
|  `* Re: Off-peak energy discountsMax Demian
|   +* Re: Off-peak energy discountsTim+
|   |+* Re: Off-peak energy discountsChris Green
|   ||`- Re: Off-peak energy discountsTim+
|   |`* Re: Off-peak energy discountsSteveW
|   | `* Re: Off-peak energy discountsTim+
|   |  `* Re: Off-peak energy discountsSteveW
|   |   `* Re: Off-peak energy discountsalan_m
|   |    `- Re: Off-peak energy discountsThe Natural Philosopher
|   `- Re: Off-peak energy discountsRod Speed
`* Re: Off-peak energy discountsalan_m
 `* Re: Off-peak energy discountsChris Hogg
  +* Re: Off-peak energy discountsSteveW
  |`* Re: Off-peak energy discountsalan_m
  | +- Re: Off-peak energy discountsRobin
  | +* Re: Off-peak energy discountsThe Natural Philosopher
  | |`- Re: Off-peak energy discountsMartin Brown
  | `* Re: Off-peak energy discountsMartin Brown
  |  `- Re: Off-peak energy discountsfarter
  +- Re: Off-peak energy discountsThe Natural Philosopher
  +* Re: Off-peak energy discountsN_Cook
  |+* Re: Off-peak energy discountsThe Natural Philosopher
  ||`- Re: Off-peak energy discountsN_Cook
  |`- Re: Off-peak energy discountsAndy Burns
  `* Re: Off-peak energy discountsTim+
   `- Re: Off-peak energy discountsChris Hogg

Pages:12
Off-peak energy discounts

<tkdd47$3svmt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76900&group=uk.d-i-y#76900

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Off-peak energy discounts
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:04:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:04 UTC

I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
supplier:

https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service

--
So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy

Introducing...

Energy Shift

E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.

As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.

--
continues . . .

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<jsus5cF8iusU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76904&group=uk.d-i-y#76904

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Off-peak energy discounts
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:17:00 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:17 UTC

On 08/11/2022 11:04, RJH wrote:
> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
> supplier:
>
> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>
> --
> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy
> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit should
> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what we're
> calling this, and how it works!
>
> Introducing...
>
> Energy Shift
>
> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>
> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>
> --
> continues . . .

Octopus announced this a couple of weeks ago. You sign up, they send you
and email saying when this to happen and they monitor your 30 minute
readings from you smart meter to determine if a reduction in usage has
been made.

https://octopus.energy/saving-sessions/

We'd expect an average home's rewards over winter to be worth around £36
overall, but could be up to £100.

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<tkden9$3t3ck$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76905&group=uk.d-i-y#76905

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:31:52 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:31 UTC

On 08/11/2022 11:04, RJH wrote:
> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
> supplier:
>
> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>
> --
> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy
> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit should
> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what we're
> calling this, and how it works!
>
> Introducing...
>
> Energy Shift
>
> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>
> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>
> --
> continues . . .

All the assurances that the UK would be fully able to meet demand by
National Grid and the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Ministry
are falling apart at the seams, it seems.
Thanks to GreenCrap™

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<05kkmh5vefaue6lmo9fctipf95kei5n3ij@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76910&group=uk.d-i-y#76910

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 12:55:56 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 12:55 UTC

On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:17:00 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 08/11/2022 11:04, RJH wrote:
>> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
>> supplier:
>>
>> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>>
>> --
>> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
>> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy
>> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit should
>> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what we're
>> calling this, and how it works!
>>
>> Introducing...
>>
>> Energy Shift
>>
>> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
>> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>>
>> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
>> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
>> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>>
>> --
>> continues . . .
>>

>Octopus announced this a couple of weeks ago. You sign up, they send you
>and email saying when this to happen and they monitor your 30 minute
>readings from you smart meter to determine if a reduction in usage has
>been made.
>
>https://octopus.energy/saving-sessions/

>We'd expect an average home's rewards over winter to be worth around £36
>overall, but could be up to £100.

I'm waiting to hear from OVO, assuming they're going to do the scheme,
but does the payment depend on your just have a low electricity use
during the critical period, or do you actually have to reduce your use
compared with what you normally use. As I live alone and have gas C/H,
my electricity use is lowish anyway, and I'm not sure I could reduce
it further if that is what they want me to do.

--
Chris

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<jsv3taF9q1nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76915&group=uk.d-i-y#76915

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Nov 2022 13:29:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:29 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
> supplier:
>
> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>
> --
> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy
> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit should
> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what we're
> calling this, and how it works!
>
> Introducing...
>
> Energy Shift
>
> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>
> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>
> --
> continues . . .

Does this mean that before you sign up, it’s worth using lots of
electricity now in the peak times, so that you have a significant reduction
when the scheme kicks in?

Hmm…

--
Spike

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<jsv412F9p3aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76916&group=uk.d-i-y#76916

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:31:14 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:31 UTC

On 08/11/2022 12:55, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:17:00 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/11/2022 11:04, RJH wrote:
>>> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
>>> supplier:
>>>
>>> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>>>
>>> --
>>> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
>>> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy
>>> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit should
>>> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what we're
>>> calling this, and how it works!
>>>
>>> Introducing...
>>>
>>> Energy Shift
>>>
>>> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
>>> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>>>
>>> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
>>> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
>>> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>>>
>>> --
>>> continues . . .
>>>

>> Octopus announced this a couple of weeks ago. You sign up, they send you
>> and email saying when this to happen and they monitor your 30 minute
>> readings from you smart meter to determine if a reduction in usage has
>> been made.
>>
>> https://octopus.energy/saving-sessions/

>> We'd expect an average home's rewards over winter to be worth around £36
>> overall, but could be up to £100.
>
> I'm waiting to hear from OVO, assuming they're going to do the scheme,
> but does the payment depend on your just have a low electricity use
> during the critical period, or do you actually have to reduce your use
> compared with what you normally use. As I live alone and have gas C/H,
> my electricity use is lowish anyway, and I'm not sure I could reduce
> it further if that is what they want me to do.

Octopus quote
We will calculate your Baseline using the BSC P376 ‘Utilising a Baseline
Methodology to set Physical Notifications’ with an in-day adjustment for
domestic customers, and without an in-day adjustment for business
customers. This methodology looks at up to 10 days of your recent smart
meter history, excluding days where a Session has taken place, to
calculate your average consumption.
/quote

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<jsv4b4F9p3aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76917&group=uk.d-i-y#76917

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:36:36 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:36 UTC

> On 08/11/2022 11:04, RJH wrote:
>> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this
>> from my
>> supplier:
>>
>> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>>
>> --
>> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid
>> will be
>> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back
>> their energy
>> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account
>> credit should
>> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as
>> what we're
>> calling this, and how it works!
>>
>> Introducing...
>>
>> Energy Shift
>>
>> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
>> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>>
>> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter
>> reading
>> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the
>> initial
>> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>>
>> --
>> continues . . .
>>
> All the assurances that the UK would be fully able to meet demand by
> National Grid and the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Ministry
> are falling apart at the seams, it seems.
> Thanks to GreenCrap™

Or maybe a legitimate cost saving in times of high demand stress.
However I tend to agree that most "green" in the UK doesn't work when
the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine.

Another Octopus quote
The money customers earn in this project is paid by National Grid - it's
a reward for helping to keep the energy grid in balance by switching off
at the busiest times. Which makes sense: when energy demand is high,
it's much cheaper to pay people to use a bit less power than it is to
pay fossil fuel generators to switch on at short notice!

The cost to pay generators to help balance the grid can be incredibly
high, particularly in the energy crisis. One day last winter, balancing
costs went as high as £60 million.
/quote

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<459853263.689607874.589073.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76919&group=uk.d-i-y#76919

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Nov 2022 13:53:49 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:53 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/11/2022 11:04, RJH wrote:
>> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
>> supplier:
>>
>> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>>
>> --
>> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
>> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy
>> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit should
>> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what we're
>> calling this, and how it works!
>>
>> Introducing...
>>
>> Energy Shift
>>
>> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
>> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>>
>> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
>> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
>> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>>
>> --
>> continues . . .
>>

> Octopus announced this a couple of weeks ago. You sign up, they send you
> and email saying when this to happen and they monitor your 30 minute
> readings from you smart meter to determine if a reduction in usage has
> been made.
>
> https://octopus.energy/saving-sessions/

> We'd expect an average home's rewards over winter to be worth around £36
> overall, but could be up to £100.

I don’t think we’ll achieve that as we routinely time-shift all the
consumption that we can to our off-peak time. Not that I think it’s a bad
idea, just that it will benefit folk who currently don’t time shift
consumption because they’re on a flat rate tariff.

About the only thing we can do is to avoid using the fan oven during the
peak periods and turn off the beer fridge. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<2107629335.689608139.381439.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76920&group=uk.d-i-y#76920

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Nov 2022 13:53:49 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:53 UTC

Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:17:00 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/11/2022 11:04, RJH wrote:
>>> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
>>> supplier:
>>>
>>> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>>>
>>> --
>>> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
>>> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy
>>> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit should
>>> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what we're
>>> calling this, and how it works!
>>>
>>> Introducing...
>>>
>>> Energy Shift
>>>
>>> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
>>> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>>>
>>> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
>>> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
>>> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>>>
>>> --
>>> continues . . .
>>>

>> Octopus announced this a couple of weeks ago. You sign up, they send you
>> and email saying when this to happen and they monitor your 30 minute
>> readings from you smart meter to determine if a reduction in usage has
>> been made.
>>
>> https://octopus.energy/saving-sessions/

>> We'd expect an average home's rewards over winter to be worth around £36
>> overall, but could be up to £100.
>
> I'm waiting to hear from OVO, assuming they're going to do the scheme,
> but does the payment depend on your just have a low electricity use
> during the critical period, or do you actually have to reduce your use
> compared with what you normally use. As I live alone and have gas C/H,
> my electricity use is lowish anyway, and I'm not sure I could reduce
> it further if that is what they want me to do.

Last winter when Octopus were trialling it it had to be a percentage
reduction of your normal consumption during the peak periods which made it
very hard for us to do much (that we weren’t doing already).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<183476080.689608230.617104.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76921&group=uk.d-i-y#76921

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Nov 2022 13:53:49 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:53 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
>> supplier:
>>
>> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>>
>> --
>> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
>> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy
>> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit should
>> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what we're
>> calling this, and how it works!
>>
>> Introducing...
>>
>> Energy Shift
>>
>> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
>> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>>
>> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
>> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
>> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>>
>> --
>> continues . . .
>

> Does this mean that before you sign up, it’s worth using lots of
> electricity now in the peak times, so that you have a significant reduction
> when the scheme kicks in?
>
> Hmm…

Well if you’re on a flat rate but have a smart meter that does half-hourly
readings, go for it. ;-) Of course it’s gaming the system and it wouldn’t
make sense to waste electricity but you could certainly use power usefully
in cooking, dishwashers, washing machines, dryers etc.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<jsv5s1F9vhhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76922&group=uk.d-i-y#76922

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 14:02:41 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 14:02 UTC

On 08/11/2022 13:53, Tim+ wrote:

> Last winter when Octopus were trialling it it had to be a percentage
> reduction of your normal consumption during the peak periods which made it
> very hard for us to do much (that we weren’t doing already).

The Octopus Scheme last year was a reduction in consumption over a much
longer period - below the average* usage over the winter period and
they had a list of energy saving recommendations.

*I'm cannot recall how they worked out the average but I think it may
have been based on historic information from their records and from
those from the failed companies from which they inherited customers.
They had weekly prize draw and they distributed the rest of the money
from a 1 million prize pot to all who signed up. I think I received
around £7.50 :)

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<jsv6b5F9vhhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76923&group=uk.d-i-y#76923

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 14:10:45 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 14:10 UTC

On 08/11/2022 13:29, Spike wrote:

> Does this mean that before you sign up, it’s worth using lots of
> electricity now in the peak times, so that you have a significant reduction
> when the scheme kicks in?

As long as the actual usage is what you would normally do in a day/week.

Do they actually mean peak times such as when the country cooks their
Sunday roast or do they mean at times when renewables are not producing
or the interconnects cannot supply and there is most demand from gas
generation. As my supplier is suggesting a warning a day before hand
its possibly when the weather is forecast to change and it's colder or a
day/week without wind.

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<F1q*BNP2y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76924&group=uk.d-i-y#76924

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 08 Nov 2022 14:27:59 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 14:27 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> Do they actually mean peak times such as when the country cooks their
> Sunday roast or do they mean at times when renewables are not producing
> or the interconnects cannot supply and there is most demand from gas
> generation. As my supplier is suggesting a warning a day before hand
> its possibly when the weather is forecast to change and it's colder or a
> day/week without wind.

Both. When demand is high and supply is tight. That's typically when
people are having their dinner (4-7pm) and they have to spool up standby
generation to cope with the peak load. That's likely to be when there is an
insufficiency of renewables, because otherwise they won't have to spool up
the standby generators.

(I'm not sure 'Sunday roast' is enough of a thing any more to stress the
demand figures - if anything demand is lower on Sundays and there's no
obvious spike for lunch)

Theo

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<z3CpYfEatmajFATg@ghcq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76925&group=uk.d-i-y#76925

From: ber...@bert.bert.com (bert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 14:44:42 +0000
 by: bert - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 14:44 UTC

In article <jsus5cF8iusU1@mid.individual.net>, alan_m
<junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> writes
>On 08/11/2022 11:04, RJH wrote:
>> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
>> supplier:
>>
>>https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on
>>-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>> --
>> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
>> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back
>>their energy
>> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account
>>credit should
>> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as
>>what we're
>> calling this, and how it works!
>> Introducing...
>> Energy Shift
>> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand
>>Flexibility
>> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter
>>reading
>> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
>> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>> --
>> continues . . .
>>

>Octopus announced this a couple of weeks ago. You sign up, they send
>you and email saying when this to happen and they monitor your 30
>minute readings from you smart meter to determine if a reduction in
>usage has been made.
>
>https://octopus.energy/saving-sessions/

>We'd expect an average home's rewards over winter to be worth around
>£36 overall, but could be up to £100.

£36 saving on an electric bill of a couple of thousand. How exciting.

--
bert

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<tkftvk$6pk5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77027&group=uk.d-i-y#77027

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 10:04:32 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 10:04 UTC

How is this different to economy 7?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote in message
>I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from
>my
> supplier:
>
> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>
> --
> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will
> be
> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their
> energy
> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit
> should
> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what
> we're
> calling this, and how it works!
>
> Introducing...
>
> Energy Shift
>
> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>
> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter
> reading
> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the
> initial
> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>
> --
> continues . . .
>
> --
> Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<103890435.689687687.902491.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77053&group=uk.d-i-y#77053

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 9 Nov 2022 11:57:40 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:57 UTC

This is a “bonus scheme” to incentivise people to reduce their power
consumption at times of peak grid stress “on demand”, rather than a regular
off-peak discount that encourages load shifting on a daily basis.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<jt3v70F20ilU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77129&group=uk.d-i-y#77129

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 09:39:44 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 09:39 UTC

On 08/11/2022 11:04, RJH wrote:
> I think there was a post on this recently? Anyway, just noticed this from my
> supplier:
>
> https://community.eonnext.com/threads/5866-Energy-Shift-Announcement-on-National-Grid-Demand-Flexibility-Service
>
> --
> So some of you may have seen recently in the news that National Grid will be
> enabling energy suppliers to invite their customers to scale back their energy
> usage during peak times of the day, and be rewarded with account credit should
> you be able to do so, here's a little more info on this, as well as what we're
> calling this, and how it works!
>
> Introducing...
>
> Energy Shift
>
> E.ON Next will be participating in the National Grid Demand Flexibility
> Service with our aptly named 'Energy Shift' scheme.
>
> As long as you have a Smart Meter, and your settings for your meter reading
> data is set to 'half-hourly' you could be invited to take part in the initial
> roll out of this scheme which will run over the winter period.
>
> --
> continues . . .

The BBC got into the act this morning Thur 10th Nov

A mix of facts, half truths and what the presenter just made up.

Banner headline "Save £100 on your electricity bill". Qualified a bit
later by the presenter saying "upto". Octopus state that they expect the
average to be 1/3 of this.

Presenter explaining how it works - you use NO electricity for an hour
between 4 and 7pm on the day after you get the email for each of the 25
events.

Presenter stating the British Gas is saying that customers could save
33% of their bill. BG must have a rather lot of low electricity usage
customers if they only pay £300 a year, and that is if they participate
turning all of their electricity* off 25 times during the winter :)

*And any alternative fuel boiler that relies on electricity to run the CH.

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<cfipmhdm2seimnhk5skkcsdk2u25id6fvp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77131&group=uk.d-i-y#77131

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 09:57:43 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 09:57 UTC

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 09:39:44 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>The BBC got into the act this morning Thur 10th Nov
>
>A mix of facts, half truths and what the presenter just made up.
>
>Banner headline "Save £100 on your electricity bill". Qualified a bit
>later by the presenter saying "upto". Octopus state that they expect the
>average to be 1/3 of this.
>
>Presenter explaining how it works - you use NO electricity for an hour
>between 4 and 7pm on the day after you get the email for each of the 25
>events.
>
>Presenter stating the British Gas is saying that customers could save
>33% of their bill. BG must have a rather lot of low electricity usage
>customers if they only pay £300 a year, and that is if they participate
>turning all of their electricity* off 25 times during the winter :)
>
>*And any alternative fuel boiler that relies on electricity to run the CH.

Switching off *ALL* your electricity use for the designated period?
What, like throwing the main switch on the CU? Do they really expect
to get any takers for that, with people groping their way around cold
houses in the dark with torches, candles, camping stoves etc? Surely
not.

--
Chris

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<tkiir5$hds4$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77139&group=uk.d-i-y#77139

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:12:54 +0000
 by: SteveW - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:12 UTC

On 10/11/2022 09:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 09:39:44 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> The BBC got into the act this morning Thur 10th Nov
>>
>> A mix of facts, half truths and what the presenter just made up.
>>
>> Banner headline "Save £100 on your electricity bill". Qualified a bit
>> later by the presenter saying "upto". Octopus state that they expect the
>> average to be 1/3 of this.
>>
>> Presenter explaining how it works - you use NO electricity for an hour
>> between 4 and 7pm on the day after you get the email for each of the 25
>> events.
>>
>> Presenter stating the British Gas is saying that customers could save
>> 33% of their bill. BG must have a rather lot of low electricity usage
>> customers if they only pay £300 a year, and that is if they participate
>> turning all of their electricity* off 25 times during the winter :)
>>
>> *And any alternative fuel boiler that relies on electricity to run the CH.
>
> Switching off *ALL* your electricity use for the designated period?
> What, like throwing the main switch on the CU? Do they really expect
> to get any takers for that, with people groping their way around cold
> houses in the dark with torches, candles, camping stoves etc? Surely
> not.

It's certainly not what it was originally suggested to be - which was
moving heavy use (washing, drying, cooking, dishwashing, electric
heating, etc.) outside the peak demand period.

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<jt41g9F2cspU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77141&group=uk.d-i-y#77141

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:18:49 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:18 UTC

On 10/11/2022 10:12, SteveW wrote:

> It's certainly not what it was originally suggested to be - which was
> moving heavy use (washing, drying, cooking, dishwashing, electric
> heating, etc.) outside the peak demand period.

I was just commenting on the way uneducated Journalists at the BBC
inform the public about the scheme!

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<30faf79e-96f3-9a53-d3b5-1561ab963917@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77142&group=uk.d-i-y#77142

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:26:40 +0000
 by: Robin - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:26 UTC

On 10/11/2022 10:18, alan_m wrote:
> On 10/11/2022 10:12, SteveW wrote:
>
>> It's certainly not what it was originally suggested to be - which was
>> moving heavy use (washing, drying, cooking, dishwashing, electric
>> heating, etc.) outside the peak demand period.
>>

> I was just commenting on the way uneducated Journalists at the BBC
> inform the public about the scheme!

which programme and (roughly) when?

--
Robin

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<tkikae$hcjj$15@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77144&group=uk.d-i-y#77144

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:38:06 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:38 UTC

On 10/11/2022 09:57, Chris Hogg wrote:

> Switching off *ALL* your electricity use for the designated period?
> What, like throwing the main switch on the CU? Do they really expect
> to get any takers for that, with people groping their way around cold
> houses in the dark with torches, candles, camping stoves etc? Surely
> not.

Well if YOU don't, THEY will.

Load shedding is coming to a phase near you...

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<tkikbf$hcjj$16@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77145&group=uk.d-i-y#77145

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:38:39 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:38 UTC

On 10/11/2022 10:18, alan_m wrote:
> On 10/11/2022 10:12, SteveW wrote:
>
>> It's certainly not what it was originally suggested to be - which was
>> moving heavy use (washing, drying, cooking, dishwashing, electric
>> heating, etc.) outside the peak demand period.
>>

> I was just commenting on the way uneducated Journalists at the BBC
> inform the public about the scheme!

Fucking ArtStudents™

Burn them for fuel.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<tkim5v$hn1e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77152&group=uk.d-i-y#77152

From: dive...@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:09:52 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:09 UTC

On 10/11/2022 09:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
> Switching off*ALL* your electricity use for the designated period?
> What, like throwing the main switch on the CU? Do they really expect
> to get any takers for that, with people groping their way around cold
> houses in the dark with torches, candles, camping stoves etc? Surely
> not.

How many electronic clocks would the average householder have to reset?
plus some kit drops into factory reset .
Of course how many people on low incomes will be moving onto "smart"
meters after the news yesterday. Well it was news to me , that along
with read and WRITE function on them so they can write whatever their
shareholders demand, in effect, they can remotely switch you to
prepayment mode at the click of a switch at their end .

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Off-peak energy discounts

<1592577080.689771443.941232.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77153&group=uk.d-i-y#77153

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 Nov 2022 11:13:55 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:13 UTC

Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 09:39:44 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> The BBC got into the act this morning Thur 10th Nov
>>
>> A mix of facts, half truths and what the presenter just made up.
>>
>> Banner headline "Save £100 on your electricity bill". Qualified a bit
>> later by the presenter saying "upto". Octopus state that they expect the
>> average to be 1/3 of this.
>>
>> Presenter explaining how it works - you use NO electricity for an hour
>> between 4 and 7pm on the day after you get the email for each of the 25
>> events.
>>
>> Presenter stating the British Gas is saying that customers could save
>> 33% of their bill. BG must have a rather lot of low electricity usage
>> customers if they only pay £300 a year, and that is if they participate
>> turning all of their electricity* off 25 times during the winter :)
>>
>> *And any alternative fuel boiler that relies on electricity to run the CH.
>
> Switching off *ALL* your electricity use for the designated period?
> What, like throwing the main switch on the CU? Do they really expect
> to get any takers for that, with people groping their way around cold
> houses in the dark with torches, candles, camping stoves etc? Surely
> not.

No, just reporters getting it wrong.

Tim

--