Philogyny recapitulates erogeny; erogeny recapitulates philogyny.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

SubjectAuthor
* Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
| `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|  +* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopRJH
|  |`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|  | `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopRJH
|  |  `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|  `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
|   `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopAnimal
+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopMichael Chare
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopDavid
|+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|`- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopDavid
|`- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopwasbit
|`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
| +- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopThe Natural Philosopher
| `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopAdrian Caspersz
+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopHarry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
|`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopwasbit
| `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopJohn J
 +- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
 `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopFred
  `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
   `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+

Pages:12
Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jsvoinFcrapU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76964&group=uk.d-i-y#76964

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 19:22:00 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 19:22 UTC

Has anyone used something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
is and what the 12V current requirements are.

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<585863932.689628891.532410.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76966&group=uk.d-i-y#76966

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Nov 2022 19:37:38 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 19:37 UTC

<nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
> is and what the 12V current requirements are.

Any particular reason for putting it outside? As I understand it these
things are all “room sealed”. Air for combustion and exhaust from/to the
outside (although I confess I’m not familiar with that unit).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<53800b37-5ec3-4f2f-bb97-350b8a646208n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76980&group=uk.d-i-y#76980

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:11:34 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 21:11 UTC

On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 19:22:05 UTC, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
> is and what the 12V current requirements are.

Used it's older much larger brother many years ago. Basically a burner inside a large tube plus fan. It worked ok, but no CO or CO2 monitoring. If I had to use one today I'd ensure I had monitors.

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jt0058Fe216U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76984&group=uk.d-i-y#76984

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 21:31:20 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 21:31 UTC

On 08/11/2022 19:37, Tim+ wrote:
> <nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone used something like this
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
>> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
>> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
>> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
>> is and what the 12V current requirements are.
>>

> Any particular reason for putting it outside? As I understand it these
> things are all “room sealed”. Air for combustion and exhaust from/to the
> outside (although I confess I’m not familiar with that unit).
>
> Tim

It seems easier (and safer) to keep the exhaust gases outside and pump
warm air in than to have to get the exhaust gases out

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<tkelds$1fqj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76987&group=uk.d-i-y#76987

From: mUNDERSC...@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 22:32:26 +0000
 by: Michael Chare - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 22:32 UTC

On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
> is and what the 12V current requirements are.

Why burn diesel when kerosene is much much cheaper? The fumes coming
out of it will contain CO2 and maybe some CO.

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jt12t7Fa57qU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76998&group=uk.d-i-y#76998

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 9 Nov 2022 07:24:23 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 07:24 UTC

On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 19:22:00 +0000, nothanks wrote:

> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310 as a workshop heater? I'm
> wondering about getting a portable one and sitting it outside the garage
> or shed with the hot air outlet connected to a pipe to take it inside.
> It would be useful to know how good the fan is and what the 12V current
> requirements are.

They seem a bit coy about how you route the exhaust gasses out of a
vehicle.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<1183415884.689675276.074271.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77013&group=uk.d-i-y#77013

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 9 Nov 2022 08:29:42 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 08:29 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 19:22:00 +0000, nothanks wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used something like this
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310 as a workshop heater? I'm
>> wondering about getting a portable one and sitting it outside the garage
>> or shed with the hot air outlet connected to a pipe to take it inside.
>> It would be useful to know how good the fan is and what the 12V current
>> requirements are.
>
> They seem a bit coy about how you route the exhaust gasses out of a
> vehicle.

I’m inclined to think that putting the exhaust gases outside would be a
good idea. ;-) It does come with exhaust and inlet pipes and *probably*
comes with instruction.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<1824707521.689675411.700846.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77014&group=uk.d-i-y#77014

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 9 Nov 2022 08:33:50 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 08:33 UTC

<nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
> On 08/11/2022 19:37, Tim+ wrote:
>> <nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone used something like this
>>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
>>> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
>>> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
>>> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
>>> is and what the 12V current requirements are.
>>>

>> Any particular reason for putting it outside? As I understand it these
>> things are all “room sealed”. Air for combustion and exhaust from/to the
>> outside (although I confess I’m not familiar with that unit).
>>
>> Tim
>>
> It seems easier (and safer) to keep the exhaust gases outside and pump
> warm air in than to have to get the exhaust gases out

As long as you make sure that exhaust gases can’t enter the “room air”
inlet. You’re gonna need two holes in your wall either way. Two small ones
for combustion air inlet and exhaust if you mount it indoors, or two large
ones for room air inlet and outlet if you mount it outside.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<tkfqi3$6fdq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77017&group=uk.d-i-y#77017

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 09:06:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 09:06 UTC

On 9 Nov 2022 at 08:33:50 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

>> It seems easier (and safer) to keep the exhaust gases outside and pump
>> warm air in than to have to get the exhaust gases out

Yes, they do this on diesel campervan heaters.

> As long as you make sure that exhaust gases can’t enter the “room air”
> inlet. You’re gonna need two holes in your wall either way. Two small ones
> for combustion air inlet and exhaust if you mount it indoors, or two large
> ones for room air inlet and outlet if you mount it outside.

Why do you need an air inlet? The outside mounted unit gets a fresh air
supply.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jt1bncFa57qU11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77023&group=uk.d-i-y#77023

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 9 Nov 2022 09:54:52 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 09:54 UTC

On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 19:22:00 +0000, nothanks wrote:

> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310 as a workshop heater? I'm
> wondering about getting a portable one and sitting it outside the garage
> or shed with the hot air outlet connected to a pipe to take it inside.
> It would be useful to know how good the fan is and what the 12V current
> requirements are.

Following up on other comments.

If you have your air intake outside, aren't you using extra energy to heat
(very) cold air up all the time?

Shirley it is more efficient to circulate the warm(er) air inside the
workshop unless you really want to flow air through (for example to remove
damp).

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<tkfvbu$6sue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77037&group=uk.d-i-y#77037

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 10:28:13 +0000
 by: wasbit - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 10:28 UTC

On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
> is and what the 12V current requirements are.

Yes I have one in my concrete panel garage workshop.
It needs a 20 amp start up power supply. I use one similar to these @
about £20
- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224582753706
The exhaust must vent externally so I drilled a 26mm hole through a
panel just above floor level.

Very economical but has to work longer to combat draughts so the more
you can insulate the workshop the better.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jt1hcbFl61lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77044&group=uk.d-i-y#77044

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:31:25 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:31 UTC

On 09/11/2022 08:33, Tim+ wrote:
> <nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Any particular reason for putting it outside? As I understand it these
>>> things are all “room sealed”. Air for combustion and exhaust from/to the
>>> outside (although I confess I’m not familiar with that unit).
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>> It seems easier (and safer) to keep the exhaust gases outside and pump
>> warm air in than to have to get the exhaust gases out
>>

> As long as you make sure that exhaust gases can’t enter the “room air”
> inlet. You’re gonna need two holes in your wall either way. Two small ones
> for combustion air inlet and exhaust if you mount it indoors, or two large
> ones for room air inlet and outlet if you mount it outside.
>
> Tim

It will only need one hole to get the hot air into the garage/shed if
it's mounted outside - I don't think many garages or sheds are
hermetically sealed ;-) so I won't need an outlet. I agree that it's
important that the exhaust gas can't be drawn into the air intake.
I think the plan would be to have a hole in the garage and sheds for hot
air input and to plug the hole when not required. Some of the left-over
soil pipe might be OK but I need to check its temperature spec.

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jt1hfgFl61lU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77045&group=uk.d-i-y#77045

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:33:05 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:33 UTC

On 09/11/2022 07:24, David wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 19:22:00 +0000, nothanks wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used something like this
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310 as a workshop heater? I'm
>> wondering about getting a portable one and sitting it outside the garage
>> or shed with the hot air outlet connected to a pipe to take it inside.
>> It would be useful to know how good the fan is and what the 12V current
>> requirements are.
>
> They seem a bit coy about how you route the exhaust gasses out of a
> vehicle.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

My son fitted one to a camper van conversion, he had 2 holes in the
floor for in/out. I'd not thought of using something similar for a
workshop until a pal mentioned the idea a few days ago

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jt1hp4Fl61lU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77046&group=uk.d-i-y#77046

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:38:14 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:38 UTC

On 09/11/2022 09:54, David wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 19:22:00 +0000, nothanks wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used something like this
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310 as a workshop heater? I'm
>> wondering about getting a portable one and sitting it outside the garage
>> or shed with the hot air outlet connected to a pipe to take it inside.
>> It would be useful to know how good the fan is and what the 12V current
>> requirements are.
>
> Following up on other comments.
>
> If you have your air intake outside, aren't you using extra energy to heat
> (very) cold air up all the time?
Yes, that's a good point. Perhaps I need to investigate exhaust
couplings and silencers ...

> Shirley it is more efficient to circulate the warm(er) air inside the
> workshop unless you really want to flow air through (for example to remove
> damp).
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jt1hsdFl61lU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77047&group=uk.d-i-y#77047

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:39:58 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:39 UTC

On 09/11/2022 10:28, wasbit wrote:
> On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> Has anyone used something like this
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
>> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
>> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet
>> connected to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how
>> good the fan is and what the 12V current requirements are.
>
> Yes I have one in my concrete panel garage workshop.
> It needs a 20 amp start up power supply. I use one similar to these @
> about £20
>  - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224582753706
Ouch! 20A! Do you know how long it draws that for and what the running
current requirement is? I'd hoped to use a small 12V battery.
> The exhaust must vent externally so I drilled a 26mm hole through a
> panel just above floor level.
>
> Very economical but has to work longer to combat draughts so the more
> you can insulate the workshop the better.

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jt1i6qFlb5hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77048&group=uk.d-i-y#77048

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:45:30 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:45 UTC

On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected

Beating the Cost of Living Crisis - using a diesel heater (boost) as a
heat source
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2i1yeiGZU

Plenty of other similar vids on youtube,

--
Adrian C

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<tkg46q$78nm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77049&group=uk.d-i-y#77049

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:50:50 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:50 UTC

On 09/11/2022 11:39, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 09/11/2022 10:28, wasbit wrote:
>> On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> Has anyone used something like this
>>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
>>> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
>>> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet
>>> connected to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how
>>> good the fan is and what the 12V current requirements are.
>>
>> Yes I have one in my concrete panel garage workshop.
>> It needs a 20 amp start up power supply. I use one similar to these @
>> about £20
>>   - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224582753706
> Ouch! 20A! Do you know how long it draws that for and what the running
> current requirement is? I'd hoped to use a small 12V battery.
a small lithium 11.1V battery will easily to 20A for a minute or so

>> The exhaust must vent externally so I drilled a 26mm hole through a
>> panel just above floor level.
>>
>> Very economical but has to work longer to combat draughts so the more
>> you can insulate the workshop the better.

Surely the more you can draughtproof. Draught proofing is the first step
to staying warm

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<688354552.689686994.423094.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77051&group=uk.d-i-y#77051

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 9 Nov 2022 11:57:40 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:57 UTC

<nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
> On 09/11/2022 08:33, Tim+ wrote:
>> <nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:

>>> It seems easier (and safer) to keep the exhaust gases outside and pump
>>> warm air in than to have to get the exhaust gases out
>>>

>> As long as you make sure that exhaust gases can’t enter the “room air”
>> inlet. You’re gonna need two holes in your wall either way. Two small ones
>> for combustion air inlet and exhaust if you mount it indoors, or two large
>> ones for room air inlet and outlet if you mount it outside.
>>
>> Tim
>>
> It will only need one hole to get the hot air into the garage/shed if
> it's mounted outside

As has been pointed out, then you’re constantly heating cold outside air
rather than warming the air in your shed. It’s very like a modern CH
boiler in that the air that’s heated is completely separate from the
combustion circuit and it’s perfectly safe to draw air for heating from
inside the shed.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<1792826287.689686860.453619.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77052&group=uk.d-i-y#77052

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 9 Nov 2022 11:57:39 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 11:57 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 9 Nov 2022 at 08:33:50 GMT, Tim+ wrote:
>
>>> It seems easier (and safer) to keep the exhaust gases outside and pump
>>> warm air in than to have to get the exhaust gases out
>>>

> Yes, they do this on diesel campervan heaters.

No, the heater unit is mounted inside the van with holes through the floor
or wall to take in combustion air and for the exhaust.

>> As long as you make sure that exhaust gases can’t enter the “room air”
>> inlet. You’re gonna need two holes in your wall either way. Two small ones
>> for combustion air inlet and exhaust if you mount it indoors, or two large
>> ones for room air inlet and outlet if you mount it outside.
>
> Why do you need an air inlet? The outside mounted unit gets a fresh air
> supply.

Why would you want to keep heating cold outside air rather than heat the
air in the shed?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jt1j6qFl61lU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77054&group=uk.d-i-y#77054

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 12:02:35 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 12:02 UTC

On 09/11/2022 11:39, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 09/11/2022 10:28, wasbit wrote:
>> On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> Has anyone used something like this
>>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
>>> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
>>> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet
>>> connected to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how
>>> good the fan is and what the 12V current requirements are.
>>
>> Yes I have one in my concrete panel garage workshop.
>> It needs a 20 amp start up power supply. I use one similar to these @
>> about £20
>>   - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224582753706
> Ouch! 20A! Do you know how long it draws that for and what the running
> current requirement is? I'd hoped to use a small 12V battery.
>> The exhaust must vent externally so I drilled a 26mm hole through a
>> panel just above floor level.
>>
>> Very economical but has to work longer to combat draughts so the more
>> you can insulate the workshop the better.

Well, I've just stumbled-on the answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvd9Z8zJFY I'm going to need a PSU so
it looks like the heater will be going inside with the exhaust, errr,
exhausting through a suitable hole

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<tkgekp$7u9e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77067&group=uk.d-i-y#77067

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 14:48:57 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 14:48 UTC

On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
> is and what the 12V current requirements are.

My car has something similar, to preheat the engine is cold weather. It
draws around 20 amps to power a glow pin, to initially ignite the diesel
for maybe 30 seconds, then drops to maybe 0.25amps to power its
combustion fan and coolant water circulation pump. That unit will not
have the pump, it will have blower fan and a combustion fan.

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<tkgspg$9ra4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77092&group=uk.d-i-y#77092

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 18:50:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 18:50 UTC

On 9 Nov 2022 at 11:57:39 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>> Yes, they do this on diesel campervan heaters.
>
> No, the heater unit is mounted inside the van with holes through the floor
> or wall to take in combustion air and for the exhaust.

Ah OK. I'd have thought it'd be safer to put it underneath the van but hey.

>>> As long as you make sure that exhaust gases can’t enter the “room air”
>>> inlet. You’re gonna need two holes in your wall either way. Two small ones
>>> for combustion air inlet and exhaust if you mount it indoors, or two large
>>> ones for room air inlet and outlet if you mount it outside.
>>
>> Why do you need an air inlet? The outside mounted unit gets a fresh air
>> supply.
>
> Why would you want to keep heating cold outside air rather than heat the
> air in the shed?

Yes, granted, but you don't *need* the inlet.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<104149810.689714075.307345.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77093&group=uk.d-i-y#77093

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 9 Nov 2022 19:18:02 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 19:18 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 9 Nov 2022 at 11:57:39 GMT, Tim+ wrote:
>
>> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, they do this on diesel campervan heaters.
>>
>> No, the heater unit is mounted inside the van with holes through the floor
>> or wall to take in combustion air and for the exhaust.
>
> Ah OK. I'd have thought it'd be safer to put it underneath the van but hey.

>>> Why do you need an air inlet? The outside mounted unit gets a fresh air
>>> supply.
>>
>> Why would you want to keep heating cold outside air rather than heat the
>> air in the shed?
>>

> Yes, granted, but you don't *need* the inlet.

You don’t *need* a heater, but it would be foolish to waste fuel and reduce
the effectiveness of the heater by always heating cold air.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jvloitFjteiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81009&group=uk.d-i-y#81009

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 10:09:34 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 10:09 UTC

On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
> is and what the 12V current requirements are.

I decided to buy a kit of separate parts, rather than everything
assembled in a metal box, so I could position things where I wanted them
(possibly an error with hindsight but ...). It arrived recently and I
was surprised to see that the Chinglish manual says "not to be used for
heating a garage", whereas: a boat, van, camper, etcetera are all OK.
Seems odd so I'll ignore it, but install a CO monitor. I presume the
restriction is driven by liability or run-time - any thoughts?
Now I need to core a couple of holes for inlet and exhaust and get
things mounted - but, ironically, it's a bit too cold at the moment.

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<232c9911-a3e7-4937-b0e9-4a0ec8d3dc2bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81031&group=uk.d-i-y#81031

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 04:59:13 -0800 (PST)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:59 UTC

On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 19:22:05 UTC, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
> Has anyone used something like this
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
> is and what the 12V current requirements are.
The most effective workshop heater I can recall was a Salamander. I haven't seen one for years now. https://images.app.goo.gl/s8thr1Kvh6DoaBe76

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop