Why don't you pair `em up in threes? -Yogi Berra

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

SubjectAuthor
* Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
| `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|  +* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopRJH
|  |`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|  | `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopRJH
|  |  `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|  `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
|   `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopAnimal
+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopMichael Chare
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopDavid
|+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+
|`- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopDavid
|`- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopwasbit
|`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
| +- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopThe Natural Philosopher
| `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopAdrian Caspersz
+- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopHarry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
|`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopwasbit
| `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
`* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopJohn J
 +- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
 `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopFred
  `* Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopnothanks
   `- Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshopTim+

Pages:12
Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jvm5utFlva0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81044&group=uk.d-i-y#81044

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:57:49 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:57 UTC

On 11/12/2022 12:59, John J wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 19:22:05 UTC, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
>> Has anyone used something like this
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
>> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
>> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
>> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
>> is and what the 12V current requirements are.
> The most effective workshop heater I can recall was a Salamander. I haven't seen one for years now. https://images.app.goo.gl/s8thr1Kvh6DoaBe76
They generate a lot of heat, but a huge amount of moisture as well -not
in my workshop, thanks.

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<tn55ls$200sj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81058&group=uk.d-i-y#81058

From: a...@b.com (Fred)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 17:57:15 GMT
 by: Fred - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 17:57 UTC

John J explained :
> On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 19:22:05 UTC, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
>> Has anyone used something like this
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
>> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
>> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected
>> to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan
>> is and what the 12V current requirements are.
> The most effective workshop heater I can recall was a Salamander. I haven't
> seen one for years now. https://images.app.goo.gl/s8thr1Kvh6DoaBe76

I literally had one of these LPG space heaters delivered yesterday but
not had chance to see what it's like yet:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M5M663R/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_3p_dp_1

Any particular reason you want a diesel one?

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jvmkm9Fo1i5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81059&group=uk.d-i-y#81059

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 18:09:13 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 18:09 UTC

On 11/12/2022 17:57, Fred wrote:
> John J explained :
>> On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 19:22:05 UTC, noth...@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> Has anyone used something like this
>>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310 as a workshop heater? I'm
>>> wondering about getting a portable one and sitting it outside the
>>> garage or shed with the hot air outlet connected to a pipe to take it
>>> inside. It would be useful to know how good the fan is and what the
>>> 12V current requirements are.
>> The most effective workshop heater I can recall was a Salamander. I
>> haven't seen one for years now.
>> https://images.app.goo.gl/s8thr1Kvh6DoaBe76
>
> I literally had one of these LPG space heaters delivered yesterday but
> not had chance to see what it's like yet:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M5M663R/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_3p_dp_1
>
> Any particular reason you want a diesel one?
The LPG ones I've seen simply blow hot air that has been used for
combustion, so raise humidity levels and lead to rusting of steels and
expansion of wood. The diesel air heaters use a heat exchanger, so the
diesel heats a metal block which has air blown through it - no humidity
increase. I've used the same in camper vans (and similar in aircraft
(burning AVGAS, not diesel)) and they work well.

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<1646698001.692475134.553562.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81060&group=uk.d-i-y#81060

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 11 Dec 2022 18:13:14 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 18:13 UTC

<nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
> On 11/12/2022 17:57, Fred wrote:
>> John J explained :
>>> The most effective workshop heater I can recall was a Salamander. I
>>> haven't seen one for years now.
>>> https://images.app.goo.gl/s8thr1Kvh6DoaBe76
>>
>> I literally had one of these LPG space heaters delivered yesterday but
>> not had chance to see what it's like yet:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M5M663R/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_3p_dp_1
>>
>> Any particular reason you want a diesel one?
> The LPG ones I've seen simply blow hot air that has been used for
> combustion, so raise humidity levels and lead to rusting of steels and
> expansion of wood. The diesel air heaters use a heat exchanger, so the
> diesel heats a metal block which has air blown through it - no humidity
> increase. I've used the same in camper vans (and similar in aircraft
> (burning AVGAS, not diesel)) and they work well.

I would imagine quite a bit cheaper to run than a propane fired one too
(although I could be wrong).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<tn6tib$26u2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81112&group=uk.d-i-y#81112

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:51:09 +0000
 by: wasbit - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:51 UTC

On 11/12/2022 10:09, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> Has anyone used something like this
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
>> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
>> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet
>> connected to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how
>> good the fan is and what the 12V current requirements are.
>
> I decided to buy a kit of separate parts, rather than everything
> assembled in a metal box, so I could position things where I wanted them
> (possibly an error with hindsight but ...). It arrived recently and I
> was surprised to see that the Chinglish manual says "not to be used for
> heating a garage", whereas: a boat, van, camper, etcetera are all OK.
> Seems odd so I'll ignore it, but install a CO monitor. I presume the
> restriction is driven by liability or run-time - any thoughts?
> Now I need to core a couple of holes for inlet and exhaust and get
> things mounted - but, ironically, it's a bit too cold at the moment.

Why a hole for the air intake?
If the room isn't sealed & air can find its way in you only need to vent
the exhaust.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop

<jvoi5jF2it8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81120&group=uk.d-i-y#81120

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:38:28 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:38 UTC

On 12/12/2022 09:51, wasbit wrote:
> On 11/12/2022 10:09, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> On 08/11/2022 19:22, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> Has anyone used something like this
>>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591960310
>>> as a workshop heater? I'm wondering about getting a portable one and
>>> sitting it outside the garage or shed with the hot air outlet
>>> connected to a pipe to take it inside. It would be useful to know how
>>> good the fan is and what the 12V current requirements are.
>>
>> I decided to buy a kit of separate parts, rather than everything
>> assembled in a metal box, so I could position things where I wanted
>> them (possibly an error with hindsight but ...). It arrived recently
>> and I was surprised to see that the Chinglish manual says "not to be
>> used for heating a garage", whereas: a boat, van, camper, etcetera are
>> all OK. Seems odd so I'll ignore it, but install a CO monitor. I
>> presume the restriction is driven by liability or run-time - any
>> thoughts?
>> Now I need to core a couple of holes for inlet and exhaust and get
>> things mounted - but, ironically, it's a bit too cold at the moment.
>
> Why a hole for the air intake?
> If the room isn't sealed & air can find its way in you only need to vent
> the exhaust.

That would blow warm air from inside, through the burner section, to
outside.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Using a diesel air heater to heat a home workshop