Man's reach must exceed his grasp, for why else the heavens?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Barclays Rant

SubjectAuthor
* Barclays RantThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Barclays RantScott
+* Re: Barclays RantMartin Brown
|+* Re: Barclays RantScott
||`* Re: Barclays RantChris Hogg
|| `* Re: Barclays RantScott
||  `- Re: Barclays RantDavidm
|+* Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
||`- Re: Barclays RantThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Barclays RantAndrew
| +* Re: Barclays RantScott
| |`* Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
| | +* Re: Barclays RantScott
| | |`* Re: Barclays RantMax Demian
| | | +- Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
| | | `* Re: Barclays Rantbilly bookcase
| | |  `- Re: Barclays RantMax Demian
| | `- Re: Barclays RantThe Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|  +- Re: Barclays RantTim Lamb
|  `* Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
|   +- Re: Barclays RantAndrew
|   +* Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|   |`* Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
|   | `* Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|   |  +* Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
|   |  |`* Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|   |  | `* Re: Barclays RantScott
|   |  |  `* Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|   |  |   `* Re: Barclays RantScott
|   |  |    `* Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|   |  |     `- Re: Barclays RantScott
|   |  +* Re: Barclays RantChris Green
|   |  |+* Re: Barclays RantTim Streater
|   |  ||`* Re: Barclays Rantcharles
|   |  || `- Re: Barclays RantTim Streater
|   |  |+- Re: Barclays Rantwasbit
|   |  |`- Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|   |  +* Re: Barclays Rantwasbit
|   |  |`- Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|   |  `* Re: Barclays RantMartin Brown
|   |   +* Re: Barclays RantScott
|   |   |+* Re: Barclays RantChris B
|   |   ||+* Re: Barclays RantMartin Brown
|   |   |||`* Re: Barclays RantTim Streater
|   |   ||| `* Re: Barclays RantMartin Brown
|   |   |||  `- Re: Barclays RantTim Streater
|   |   ||`- Re: Barclays RantScott
|   |   |`* Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|   |   | `- Re: Barclays RantScott
|   |   `- Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
|   `* Re: Barclays RantScott
|    `* Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
|     +- Re: Barclays RantScott
|     `- Re: Barclays Rantwasbit
+- Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
+- Re: Barclays RantTim Streater
+* Re: Barclays RantDavid Wade
|`* Re: Barclays RantScott
| `* Re: Barclays RantDavid Wade
|  +- Re: Barclays RantScott
|  `* Re: Barclays RantThe Natural Philosopher
|   +* Re: Barclays RantScott
|   |`- Re: Barclays RantMax Demian
|   `- Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
+- Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
`* Re: Barclays RantDave W
 +* Re: Barclays RantMartin Brown
 |+- Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
 |+- Re: Barclays RantChris Green
 |`- Re: Barclays RantBob Eager
 `* Re: Barclays RantScott
  +* Re: Barclays Rantcharles
  |`* Re: Barclays RantScott
  | `* Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
  |  `* Re: Barclays RantScott
  |   +* Re: Barclays RantSteveW
  |   |`- Re: Barclays Rantcharles
  |   +* Re: Barclays RantTim Lamb
  |   |`- Re: Barclays RantScott
  |   `* Re: Barclays RantDave Plowman (News)
  |    `* Re: Barclays RantScott
  |     `- Re: Barclays RantAndy Burns
  `- Re: Barclays RantDave W

Pages:1234
Re: Barclays Rant

<n5qmnht605busbs5906m3nfusg3dhkktsd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78708&group=uk.d-i-y#78708

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Barclays Rant
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:03:36 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:03 UTC

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 17:20:22 +0000, Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Nov 2022 10:35:09 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
><tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone had issues with Barclays online banking. I had to pay a bill
>>today, and while I think I managed to, the website is giving error after
>>error.
>>
>>It's the first time I have tried it with the latest Firefox though.
>
>On a related issue - I don't do online banking but I do use my
>Barclays debit card to pay for things online. Recently some of my
>payments were not accepted by the bank with no reason given, but I
>found I could make a number of payments of £100 until the total
>required was reached.
>
>I went into the bank to ask if they could increase the limit. They
>told me that they had recently introduced 2FA for transactions. It
>turned out that as I had never banked online they didn't know my email
>address or mobile phone number, so I never got any message saying
>they'd sent me a link for me to confirm the payment.
>
>I gave them both items so I'm hoping I can pay my next electricity
>bill with one payment. However they sent me a marketing email which I
>promptly unsubscribed from.

I don't think a debit card has a limit. The 'limit' is governed by
the available balance of your bank account (taking account of any
overdraft facility). I once bought a car with a debit card and this
presented no difficulty.

Re: Barclays Rant

<aeqmnh5f7pq58f7htk3poulrlnubv5bmfl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78709&group=uk.d-i-y#78709

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:08:46 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:08 UTC

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 10:51:32 +0000, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 20/11/2022 15:50, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article <jtv0agF88pqU1@mid.individual.net>,
>> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>>> Presumably, but I don't get that, just a pair of four digit fields to enter the
>>> code generated by the phone or calculator thing, no memorable word.

>> It first needs your 12 digit online banking code. Think this is the same
>> as my original debit card. Then the 5 digit online banking pass code. Was
>> sent that by post. You can have them remembered.
>
>It is a very bad idea to allow your PC to remember the password for banking.

A thoroughly bad idea. If someone enters your house while your
computer is on they can steal your money. I think this could be
regarded as a similar level of negligence to writing the PIN on a
Post-it note.

>> So the only thing I have to enter is a (randomly asked for) two digits
>> from my memorable word. Which in my case isn't a word.
>
>They do vary a lot now. Lloyds uses password and three characters from
>magic phrase.
>
>I prefer banks that allow you to customise their home page with a
>personal greeting and/or picture. That makes for a very secure login. A
>mimic look-alike site can't guess what you have chosen.
>
>Most now tell you to put the last 4 digits of your bank card into the
>2FA device and then enter your PIN. It shows a 6 digit OTP code which
>effectively "proves" to the satisfaction of the bank that you are you.
>
>Of course you could be only doing it under duress (or have been tricked
>into doing it by some clever social engineering on a phone call).

Re: Barclays Rant

<ju19b3FirqoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78711&group=uk.d-i-y#78711

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:30:25 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:30 UTC

Scott wrote:

> there's no need to remember the membership number as the site can be set to
> do this. I have no problem with this as I don't regard a 'membershp number'
> as being any more sensitive than an email address

No cookie lives longer than a day in this house ...

Re: Barclays Rant

<jgtmnhl3a2asoneust9dn8r8a53ve9qv9b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78717&group=uk.d-i-y#78717

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:00:39 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:00 UTC

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:30:25 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> there's no need to remember the membership number as the site can be set to
>> do this. I have no problem with this as I don't regard a 'membershp number'
>> as being any more sensitive than an email address
>
>No cookie lives longer than a day in this house ...

Well, I may be less risk-averse than you. I have CCleaner set up to
save cookies that I trust, which includes those from Barclays.

Re: Barclays Rant

<5a4ad80a32charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78729&group=uk.d-i-y#78729

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:48:11 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:48 UTC

In article <n5qmnht605busbs5906m3nfusg3dhkktsd@4ax.com>,
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 17:20:22 +0000, Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:

> >On Thu, 17 Nov 2022 10:35:09 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
> ><tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >>Has anyone had issues with Barclays online banking. I had to pay a bill
> >>today, and while I think I managed to, the website is giving error after
> >>error.
> >>
> >>It's the first time I have tried it with the latest Firefox though.
> >
> >On a related issue - I don't do online banking but I do use my
> >Barclays debit card to pay for things online. Recently some of my
> >payments were not accepted by the bank with no reason given, but I
> >found I could make a number of payments of £100 until the total
> >required was reached.
> >
> >I went into the bank to ask if they could increase the limit. They
> >told me that they had recently introduced 2FA for transactions. It
> >turned out that as I had never banked online they didn't know my email
> >address or mobile phone number, so I never got any message saying
> >they'd sent me a link for me to confirm the payment.
> >
> >I gave them both items so I'm hoping I can pay my next electricity
> >bill with one payment. However they sent me a marketing email which I
> >promptly unsubscribed from.

> I don't think a debit card has a limit. The 'limit' is governed by
> the available balance of your bank account (taking account of any
> overdraft facility). I once bought a car with a debit card and this
> presented no difficulty.

I've done this, too. The first time, a phone call to the bank was needed to
confirm who I was. That was in the days of real Bank Managers.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Barclays Rant

<tlg193$3qhp6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78732&group=uk.d-i-y#78732

From: new...@salis.co.uk (Chris B)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 14:17:06 +0000
 by: Chris B - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 14:17 UTC

On 21/11/2022 12:08, Scott wrote:

>> It is a very bad idea to allow your PC to remember the password for banking.
>
> A thoroughly bad idea. If someone enters your house while your
> computer is on they can steal your money. I think this could be
> regarded as a similar level of negligence to writing the PIN on a
> Post-it note.

But surely anyone encountering an unattended switched on PC would come
up against a PIN protected screen lock. This is a trivial inconvenience
to give a great deal of security. Or are you suggesting that money can
still be stolen with a screen-locked PC?

Also to set up a new payee most banks need some form of 2FA so if you
are out with your mobile phone (and your bank card) they would not be
able to set up a new payee.

I would be more worried about hackers/scammers getting at the PC from
outside the house and interrogating the browser password store.

--
Chris B (News)

Re: Barclays Rant

<5a4adeb09fdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78737&group=uk.d-i-y#78737

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:00:48 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:00 UTC

In article <jtv129F8bf8U1@mid.individual.net>,
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Dave Plowman wrote:

> > It first needs your 12 digit online banking code. Think this is the
> > same as my original debit card. Then the 5 digit online banking pass
> > code. Was sent that by post. You can have them remembered.
> >
> > So the only thing I have to enter is a (randomly asked for) two digits
> > from my memorable word. Which in my case isn't a word.

> Presumably you've never registered for smart phone banking, but I
> thought they sent everyone the "blue calculator" device, without asking?

I have one of those pinsentry devices. But only time I seem to need it is
when setting up a new payee - previous ones are remembered. I do have the
Barclay's app on my phone, but only ever used it to pay in a cheque. And
contactless payments. What I'd call banking I usually do at home on the
laptop.

--
*i souport publik edekashun.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Barclays Rant

<5a4adec44adave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78738&group=uk.d-i-y#78738

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:01:38 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:01 UTC

In article <ij4q4j-vlbd3.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>,
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> So if someone steals (or has access to your computer) they only have
> to guess two characters?

Some chance out of 8 and with only 3 goes.

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Barclays Rant

<5a4adf12e0dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78739&group=uk.d-i-y#78739

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:05:01 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:05 UTC

In article <tlfh9u$3pe31$2@dont-email.me>,
wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On 20/11/2022 15:50, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > In article <jtv0agF88pqU1@mid.individual.net>,
> > Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> >> Presumably, but I don't get that, just a pair of four digit fields to
> >> enter the code generated by the phone or calculator thing, no
> >> memorable word.

> > It first needs your 12 digit online banking code. Think this is the
> > same as my original debit card. Then the 5 digit online banking pass
> > code. Was sent that by post. You can have them remembered.
> >
> > So the only thing I have to enter is a (randomly asked for) two digits
> > from my memorable word. Which in my case isn't a word.
> >

> How many wrong entries do you get before it locks you out?

IIRC, 3. And my memorable word isn't actually a word nor is it stored
anywhere on my system. Only way to find it would be me, or hacking the
Barclay's system.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread? *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Barclays Rant

<tlg48v$1uou$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78740&group=uk.d-i-y#78740

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:08:06 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:08 UTC

On 21/11/2022 14:17, Chris B wrote:
> On 21/11/2022 12:08, Scott wrote:
>

>>> It is a very bad idea to allow your PC to remember the password for
>>> banking.
>>
>> A thoroughly bad idea.  If someone enters your house while your
>> computer is on they can steal your money.  I think this could be
>> regarded as a similar level of negligence to writing the PIN on a
>> Post-it note.
>

> But surely anyone encountering an unattended switched on PC would come
> up against a PIN protected screen lock.  This is a trivial inconvenience
> to give a great deal of security.  Or are you suggesting that money can
> still be stolen with a screen-locked PC?

Plenty of home users disable the screenlock password to <cr> or qwerty.

Come to that I have known senior managers who should know better have
their password on a postit attached to the side of their screen!

> Also to set up a new payee most banks need some form of 2FA so if you
> are out with your mobile phone (and your bank card) they would not be
> able to set up a new payee.

One of the cleverer recent scams involved stealing both and setting up a
new phone to be the master by using the OTP that flashes up on some
mobiles by default if the bank's preamble isn't long enough to hide it.

Once they have done that they can look up your bank card PIN using the
app on the newly registered phone. You & Yours did a piece on it
recently. There was another good one today too criminals putting fake QR
codes over the ones on carparks, pub tables and EV charger points that
redirect to a look alike site and steal your credentials.

> I would be more worried about hackers/scammers getting at the PC from
> outside the house and interrogating the browser password store.

The browser password store should be reasonably hard encrypted.
Keyboard sniffing by malware is much more of a risk (although again
there are tools to mitigate against that possibility).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Barclays Rant

<5a4adf3702dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78741&group=uk.d-i-y#78741

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:06:32 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:06 UTC

In article <tlfl7t$flf$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
> > It first needs your 12 digit online banking code. Think this is the
> > same as my original debit card. Then the 5 digit online banking pass
> > code. Was sent that by post. You can have them remembered.

> It is a very bad idea to allow your PC to remember the password for
> banking.

It isn't my password. It's one they sent to me.

It also needs another I made up.

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Barclays Rant

<5a4adf6614dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78742&group=uk.d-i-y#78742

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:08:32 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:08 UTC

In article <aeqmnh5f7pq58f7htk3poulrlnubv5bmfl@4ax.com>,
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >It is a very bad idea to allow your PC to remember the password for banking.

> A thoroughly bad idea. If someone enters your house while your
> computer is on they can steal your money. I think this could be
> regarded as a similar level of negligence to writing the PIN on a
> Post-it note.

Read my post again. My computer doesn't (and can't) remember my actual
password. Would be a pretty crappy banking system that allowed it.

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Barclays Rant

<ju1j12Fka81U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78743&group=uk.d-i-y#78743

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Nov 2022 15:15:46 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:15 UTC

On 21 Nov 2022 at 15:08:06 GMT, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 21/11/2022 14:17, Chris B wrote:

>> Also to set up a new payee most banks need some form of 2FA so if you
>> are out with your mobile phone (and your bank card) they would not be
>> able to set up a new payee.
>
> One of the cleverer recent scams involved stealing both and setting up a
> new phone to be the master by using the OTP that flashes up on some
> mobiles by default if the bank's preamble isn't long enough to hide it.
>
> Once they have done that they can look up your bank card PIN using the
> app on the newly registered phone. You & Yours did a piece on it
> recently. There was another good one today too criminals putting fake QR
> codes over the ones on carparks, pub tables and EV charger points that
> redirect to a look alike site and steal your credentials.

These are all excellent reasons for not having a smart phone.

--
“It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on intellectuals, in their attempts to control the world. And since ... it is futile to reason someone out of a thing that he was not reasoned into, we can conclude that Marxism owes its remarkable power to survive every criticism to the fact that it is not a truth-directed but a power-directed system of thought.”

Sir Roger Scruton

Re: Barclays Rant

<tlg62o$o8r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78748&group=uk.d-i-y#78748

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:38:55 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:38 UTC

On 21/11/2022 15:15, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2022 at 15:08:06 GMT, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 21/11/2022 14:17, Chris B wrote:
>
>>> Also to set up a new payee most banks need some form of 2FA so if you
>>> are out with your mobile phone (and your bank card) they would not be
>>> able to set up a new payee.
>>
>> One of the cleverer recent scams involved stealing both and setting up a
>> new phone to be the master by using the OTP that flashes up on some
>> mobiles by default if the bank's preamble isn't long enough to hide it.
>>
>> Once they have done that they can look up your bank card PIN using the
>> app on the newly registered phone. You & Yours did a piece on it
>> recently. There was another good one today too criminals putting fake QR
>> codes over the ones on carparks, pub tables and EV charger points that
>> redirect to a look alike site and steal your credentials.
>
> These are all excellent reasons for not having a smart phone.

Only if you are an antediluvian Luddite. A smart phone can be configured
to be safe but unfortunately that is not the default. Ease of use has a
very bad habit of trumping security in most people's eyes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Barclays Rant

<ju1llqFkmteU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78751&group=uk.d-i-y#78751

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Nov 2022 16:00:58 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:00 UTC

On 21 Nov 2022 at 15:38:55 GMT, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 21/11/2022 15:15, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 21 Nov 2022 at 15:08:06 GMT, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> One of the cleverer recent scams involved stealing both and setting up a
>>> new phone to be the master by using the OTP that flashes up on some
>>> mobiles by default if the bank's preamble isn't long enough to hide it.
>>>
>>> Once they have done that they can look up your bank card PIN using the
>>> app on the newly registered phone. You & Yours did a piece on it
>>> recently. There was another good one today too criminals putting fake QR
>>> codes over the ones on carparks, pub tables and EV charger points that
>>> redirect to a look alike site and steal your credentials.
>>
>> These are all excellent reasons for not having a smart phone.
>
> Only if you are an antediluvian Luddite. A smart phone can be configured
> to be safe but unfortunately that is not the default. Ease of use has a
> very bad habit of trumping security in most people's eyes.

How can it be made proof against a fake QR code and associated fake website?

--
What power have you got?
Where did you get it from?

Tony Benn

Re: Barclays Rant

<61annh17veas2cs884d3fvf1a472v8hl20@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78752&group=uk.d-i-y#78752

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:33:21 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:33 UTC

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:00:48 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <jtv129F8bf8U1@mid.individual.net>,
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> Dave Plowman wrote:
>
>> > It first needs your 12 digit online banking code. Think this is the
>> > same as my original debit card. Then the 5 digit online banking pass
>> > code. Was sent that by post. You can have them remembered.
>> >
>> > So the only thing I have to enter is a (randomly asked for) two digits
>> > from my memorable word. Which in my case isn't a word.
>
>> Presumably you've never registered for smart phone banking, but I
>> thought they sent everyone the "blue calculator" device, without asking?
>
>I have one of those pinsentry devices. But only time I seem to need it is
>when setting up a new payee - previous ones are remembered. I do have the
>Barclay's app on my phone, but only ever used it to pay in a cheque. And
>contactless payments. What I'd call banking I usually do at home on the
>laptop.

I have to use mine for every login to the site. I prefer it that way.

Re: Barclays Rant

<06annhd8hkp0m98h10s684gepsd0c3i07n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78753&group=uk.d-i-y#78753

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:39:30 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:39 UTC

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 14:17:06 +0000, Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:

>On 21/11/2022 12:08, Scott wrote:
>

>>> It is a very bad idea to allow your PC to remember the password for banking.
>>
>> A thoroughly bad idea. If someone enters your house while your
>> computer is on they can steal your money. I think this could be
>> regarded as a similar level of negligence to writing the PIN on a
>> Post-it note.
>

>But surely anyone encountering an unattended switched on PC would come
>up against a PIN protected screen lock. This is a trivial inconvenience
>to give a great deal of security. Or are you suggesting that money can
>still be stolen with a screen-locked PC?

I am suggesting that there are people who do not set the PC to lock
after x minutes of inactivity.

>Also to set up a new payee most banks need some form of 2FA so if you
>are out with your mobile phone (and your bank card) they would not be
>able to set up a new payee.

With mine the PINsentry device fulfils the role instead (and this is
the topic of the debate).

>I would be more worried about hackers/scammers getting at the PC from
>outside the house and interrogating the browser password store.

I don't think this would be viewed as quite the same level of
negligence.

Re: Barclays Rant

<nfannht4t72rf26dt2pn78uf0suig84ifi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78754&group=uk.d-i-y#78754

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:41:55 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:41 UTC

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:08:32 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <aeqmnh5f7pq58f7htk3poulrlnubv5bmfl@4ax.com>,
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> >It is a very bad idea to allow your PC to remember the password for banking.
>
>> A thoroughly bad idea. If someone enters your house while your
>> computer is on they can steal your money. I think this could be
>> regarded as a similar level of negligence to writing the PIN on a
>> Post-it note.
>
>Read my post again. My computer doesn't (and can't) remember my actual
>password. Would be a pretty crappy banking system that allowed it.

Read my post again. I was simply agreeing with Martin, making no
comment on your post. .

Re: Barclays Rant

<1kannhl97eo2fjti632rclmuk6jd3011v8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78755&group=uk.d-i-y#78755

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:43:46 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:43 UTC

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:48:11 +0000 (GMT), charles
<charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

>In article <n5qmnht605busbs5906m3nfusg3dhkktsd@4ax.com>,
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 17:20:22 +0000, Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>> >On a related issue - I don't do online banking but I do use my
>> >Barclays debit card to pay for things online. Recently some of my
>> >payments were not accepted by the bank with no reason given, but I
>> >found I could make a number of payments of £100 until the total
>> >required was reached.
>> >
>> >I went into the bank to ask if they could increase the limit. They
>> >told me that they had recently introduced 2FA for transactions. It
>> >turned out that as I had never banked online they didn't know my email
>> >address or mobile phone number, so I never got any message saying
>> >they'd sent me a link for me to confirm the payment.
>> >
>> >I gave them both items so I'm hoping I can pay my next electricity
>> >bill with one payment. However they sent me a marketing email which I
>> >promptly unsubscribed from.
>
>> I don't think a debit card has a limit. The 'limit' is governed by
>> the available balance of your bank account (taking account of any
>> overdraft facility). I once bought a car with a debit card and this
>> presented no difficulty.
>
>I've done this, too. The first time, a phone call to the bank was needed to
>confirm who I was. That was in the days of real Bank Managers.

I'm pretty sure mine was done using the PIN. They wouldn't let me do
it contactless. It was a posh car costing more than £100 :-)

Re: Barclays Rant

<tli52v$2fns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78789&group=uk.d-i-y#78789

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:34:24 +0000
 by: wasbit - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:34 UTC

On 21/11/2022 12:30, Andy Burns wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>
>> there's no need to remember the membership number as the site can be
>> set to
>> do this.  I have no problem with this as I don't regard a 'membershp
>> number'
>> as being any more sensitive than an email address
>
> No cookie lives longer than a day in this house ...

Same here.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Barclays Rant

<5a4b60c1b6dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78834&group=uk.d-i-y#78834

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:41:28 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:41 UTC

In article <61annh17veas2cs884d3fvf1a472v8hl20@4ax.com>,
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:00:48 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
> <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> >In article <jtv129F8bf8U1@mid.individual.net>,
> > Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> >> Presumably you've never registered for smart phone banking, but I
> >> thought they sent everyone the "blue calculator" device, without asking?
> >
> >I have one of those pinsentry devices. But only time I seem to need it is
> >when setting up a new payee - previous ones are remembered. I do have the
> >Barclay's app on my phone, but only ever used it to pay in a cheque. And
> >contactless payments. What I'd call banking I usually do at home on the
> >laptop.

> I have to use mine for every login to the site. I prefer it that way.

Fairy nuff. But Barclays give you the choice of three different ways here.

And I'd say my 8 digit pass word very much more difficult to work out than
a 4 digit pin.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Barclays Rant

<5a4b60eacfdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78835&group=uk.d-i-y#78835

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:43:14 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:43 UTC

In article <1kannhl97eo2fjti632rclmuk6jd3011v8@4ax.com>,
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >I've done this, too. The first time, a phone call to the bank was needed to
> >confirm who I was. That was in the days of real Bank Managers.

> I'm pretty sure mine was done using the PIN. They wouldn't let me do
> it contactless. It was a posh car costing more than £100 :-)

No way I'd give out my PIN over the phone for anything.

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Barclays Rant

<f5spnh93pgajad7hsfinjcjhnicb3kc6op@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78841&group=uk.d-i-y#78841

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 15:57:27 +0000
References: <tl52ot$2kmfg$1@dont-email.me> <tl53nb$q0e$3@gioia.aioe.org> <tl5f7p$bo1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <5a4953f714dave@davenoise.co.uk> <jtpoggFechdU1@mid.individual.net> <5a4a5dca91dave@davenoise.co.uk> <jtv0agF88pqU1@mid.individual.net> <5a4a5f6508dave@davenoise.co.uk> <jtv129F8bf8U1@mid.individual.net> <5a4adeb09fdave@davenoise.co.uk> <61annh17veas2cs884d3fvf1a472v8hl20@4ax.com> <5a4b60c1b6dave@davenoise.co.uk>
 by: Scott - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 15:57 UTC

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:41:28 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <61annh17veas2cs884d3fvf1a472v8hl20@4ax.com>,
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:00:48 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
>> <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>> >I have one of those pinsentry devices. But only time I seem to need it is
>> >when setting up a new payee - previous ones are remembered. I do have the
>> >Barclay's app on my phone, but only ever used it to pay in a cheque. And
>> >contactless payments. What I'd call banking I usually do at home on the
>> >laptop.
>
>> I have to use mine for every login to the site. I prefer it that way.
>
>Fairy nuff. But Barclays give you the choice of three different ways here.
>
>And I'd say my 8 digit pass word very much more difficult to work out than
>a 4 digit pin.

But that's not how it works. The debit card goes into the PINsentry
machine then you enter the four digit PIN and the PINsentry machine
generates a new eight digit code each time.

Re: Barclays Rant

<5a4beda863dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78941&group=uk.d-i-y#78941

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 16:20:31 +0000 (GMT)
References: <tl52ot$2kmfg$1@dont-email.me> <tl53nb$q0e$3@gioia.aioe.org> <tl5f7p$bo1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <5a4953f714dave@davenoise.co.uk> <jtpoggFechdU1@mid.individual.net> <5a4a5dca91dave@davenoise.co.uk> <jtv0agF88pqU1@mid.individual.net> <5a4a5f6508dave@davenoise.co.uk> <jtv129F8bf8U1@mid.individual.net> <5a4adeb09fdave@davenoise.co.uk> <61annh17veas2cs884d3fvf1a472v8hl20@4ax.com> <5a4b60c1b6dave@davenoise.co.uk> <f5spnh93pgajad7hsfinjcjhnicb3kc6op@4ax.com>
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 16:20 UTC

In article <f5spnh93pgajad7hsfinjcjhnicb3kc6op@4ax.com>,
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:41:28 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
> <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> >In article <61annh17veas2cs884d3fvf1a472v8hl20@4ax.com>,
> > Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> >> I have to use mine for every login to the site. I prefer it that way.
> >
> >Fairy nuff. But Barclays give you the choice of three different ways
> >here.
> >
> >And I'd say my 8 digit pass word very much more difficult to work out
> >than a 4 digit pin.

> But that's not how it works. The debit card goes into the PINsentry
> machine then you enter the four digit PIN and the PINsentry machine
> generates a new eight digit code each time.

And any pinsentry machine works. So if they've found your debit card and
have one, all they have to guess is the PIN.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Barclays Rant

<atnsnhdjimf5qq41nkqjbabe3seq4qb5b2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78953&group=uk.d-i-y#78953

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 18:02:32 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 18:02 UTC

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 14:43:14 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <1kannhl97eo2fjti632rclmuk6jd3011v8@4ax.com>,
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> >I've done this, too. The first time, a phone call to the bank was needed to
>> >confirm who I was. That was in the days of real Bank Managers.
>
>> I'm pretty sure mine was done using the PIN. They wouldn't let me do
>> it contactless. It was a posh car costing more than £100 :-)
>
>No way I'd give out my PIN over the phone for anything.

It wasn't over the phone. I inserted the card into a card-reader
followed by the PIN. It was the same process as used in a
supermarket, except the sum involved was higher.

My point was that I believe there is no upper limit for a debit card
as long as funds are available in the current account.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Barclays Rant