SEMPER UBI SUB UBI!!!! [ Always wear underwater ]

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

SubjectAuthor
* How could you drive this anywhere!Grumpy Tech
+- Re: How could you drive this anywhere!Daryl
+- Re: How could you drive this anywhere!Falscher Bruce
+* Re: How could you drive this anywhere!Noddy
|`- Re: How could you drive this anywhere!Clocky
`* Re: How could you drive this anywhere!F Murtz
 `* Re: How could you drive this anywhere!Noddy
  +- Re: How could you drive this anywhere!alvey

Pages:123
Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0oggkFfe7fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8025&group=aus.cars#8025

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: How could you drive this anywhere!
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 16:48:08 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 05:48 UTC

On 1/12/2021 4:34 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 2:33 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> "The Blair Witch Project" and other movies threw that rule out the
>>> window to great effect. This guy isn't producing classic cinema,
>>> he's showing his day to day activities and his camerawork is just of
>>> him doing his stuff. I actually think it makes it more relatable as
>>> it comes across as genuine.
>>
>> It would have been far more watchable if he could have just pointed
>> the camera at something, left it pointing at that long enough to take
>> in the point that he was making, then turn it off before moving to
>> the next thing, or at least slow panning between them.
>

> he wouldn't even need to do that. just the footage before uploading.

"just edit the footage"

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<so75t9$p0g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8027&group=aus.cars#8027

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 17:49:13 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 06:49 UTC

On 1/12/2021 2:33 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 12:08 pm, Clocky wrote:

>> "The Blair Witch Project" and other movies threw that rule out the
>> window to great effect. This guy isn't producing classic cinema, he's
>> showing his day to day activities and his camerawork is just of him
>> doing his stuff. I actually think it makes it more relatable as it
>> comes across as genuine.
>
> It would have been far more watchable if he could have just pointed the
> camera at something, left it pointing at that long enough to take in the
> point that he was making, then turn it off before moving to the next
> thing, or at least slow panning between them.

Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
Regards,
Noddy.

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<so75t9$mju$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8028&group=aus.cars#8028

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 14:49:13 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 06:49 UTC

On 1/12/2021 1:27 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 1:24 pm, Xeno wrote:
>> Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> yep. taking a video is not like taking snapshots. and the cardinal
>>> rule.. move the camera slowly and steadily in the same plane. (don't
>>> jiggle it)
>>>
>> Actually, the more professional among the YouTubers use a camera
>> stabiliser. Brilliant piece of kit, takes out the bounce when the
>> cameraman
>> is walking.
>

> yeah there's an Aussie guy who live in Thailand with his hot girlfriend
> who posts videos of their daily life and he uses one. works well when
> riding their motorcycles too.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0f4mtnF3uaIOjhv7_EuEGw
>
> although skimming some of his newest vids it seems he may now be playing
> the field
>

>> ———
>> Xeno

His camerawork is shit!

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0omlbFgieiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8032&group=aus.cars#8032

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 17:30:50 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 07:30 UTC

On 1/12/2021 4:49 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 2:33 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 1/12/2021 12:08 pm, Clocky wrote:
>

>>> "The Blair Witch Project" and other movies threw that rule out the
>>> window to great effect. This guy isn't producing classic cinema, he's
>>> showing his day to day activities and his camerawork is just of him
>>> doing his stuff. I actually think it makes it more relatable as it
>>> comes across as genuine.
>>
>> It would have been far more watchable if he could have just pointed
>> the camera at something, left it pointing at that long enough to take
>> in the point that he was making, then turn it off before moving to the
>> next thing, or at least slow panning between them.
>
> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)

I'm just glad that I don't get motion sickness :)

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<so7938$aii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8033&group=aus.cars#8033

From: grumpyte...@gmail.com (Grumpy Tech)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 17:43:33 +1000
 by: Grumpy Tech - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 07:43 UTC

On 1/12/2021 4:49 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 2:33 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 1/12/2021 12:08 pm, Clocky wrote:
>

>>> "The Blair Witch Project" and other movies threw that rule out the
>>> window to great effect. This guy isn't producing classic cinema, he's
>>> showing his day to day activities and his camerawork is just of him
>>> doing his stuff. I actually think it makes it more relatable as it
>>> comes across as genuine.
>>
>> It would have been far more watchable if he could have just pointed
>> the camera at something, left it pointing at that long enough to take
>> in the point that he was making, then turn it off before moving to the
>> next thing, or at least slow panning between them.
>
> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)

Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs long
to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute it's turned
into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic as a
cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely missed the
point. As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have
a cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.

I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to think
what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.

On a side note I may get my car back from the panel shop later this
week... It's been a marathon.

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0oretFhe2nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8035&group=aus.cars#8035

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 19:52:43 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 08:52 UTC

On 1/12/21 6:43 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 4:49 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> It would have been far more watchable if he could have just pointed
>>> the camera at something, left it pointing at that long enough to take
>>> in the point that he was making, then turn it off before moving to
>>> the next thing, or at least slow panning between them.
>>
>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>
> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs long
> to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute it's turned

As was pointed out, the video quality detracted from the message.

> into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic as a
> cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely missed the
> point. As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have

Mechanics in the trade see that sort of thing *all the time*.

> a cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
> have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.

And a lot don't, they just use a simple video editor on their PC. Even
with the limitations of their equipment, they produce quite creditable
videos.

> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to think
> what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.

Those of us in the trade see it often - many times they are worn right
up to the point where the rotor/drum completely separates, nothing
unusual. It's because people couldn't give a shit about maintaining
their cars.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<so7ill$9ec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8038&group=aus.cars#8038

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:27:00 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 10:27 UTC

On 1/12/2021 6:30 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 4:49 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> It would have been far more watchable if he could have just pointed
>>> the camera at something, left it pointing at that long enough to take
>>> in the point that he was making, then turn it off before moving to
>>> the next thing, or at least slow panning between them.
>>
>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>
> I'm just glad that I don't get motion sickness :)

Seriously, get a grip :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<so7j3l$cld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8040&group=aus.cars#8040

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:34:26 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 10:34 UTC

On 1/12/2021 6:43 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 4:49 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 1/12/2021 2:33 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> It would have been far more watchable if he could have just pointed
>>> the camera at something, left it pointing at that long enough to take
>>> in the point that he was making, then turn it off before moving to
>>> the next thing, or at least slow panning between them.
>>
>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>
> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs long
> to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute it's turned
> into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic as a
> cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely missed the
> point.

I shouldn't have said anything. If I hadn't commented about Freddy
Fudpucker being a dick and complaining that it was "unwatchable" the FLC
would have had nothing to mouth off about and we wouldn't be having this
conversation :)

> As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have
> a cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
> have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.
>
> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to think
> what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.

I didn't think it was the slightest bit difficult to watch. He was
simply showing one item that was worn *way* past it's usable limit. Not
giving a tour of his workshop. He achieved his objective.

> On a side note I may get my car back from the panel shop later this
> week... It's been a marathon.

Fucking hell. How long has that been now?

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0p249FikcuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8043&group=aus.cars#8043

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:48:45 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 10:48 UTC

On 1/12/2021 7:52 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 1/12/21 6:43 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>>
>> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs
>> long to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute
>> it's turned
>
> As was pointed out, the video quality detracted from the message.
>
>> into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic as a
>> cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely missed
>> the point. As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they
>> also have
>
> Mechanics in the trade see that sort of thing *all the time*.
>
>> a cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot
>> also have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.
>
> And a lot don't, they just use a simple video editor on their PC. Even
> with the limitations of their equipment, they produce quite creditable
> videos.

anyone can make a decent video on a PC these days

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0p2veFiqflU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8045&group=aus.cars#8045

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:01:01 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:01 UTC

On 1/12/21 9:27 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 6:30 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>>
>> I'm just glad that I don't get motion sickness :)
>
> Seriously, get a grip :)

Like the grip *you* have on yourself? NFW Darren, no one wants to be a
tosser like you!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0p32vFiqflU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8046&group=aus.cars#8046

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:02:55 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:02 UTC

On 1/12/21 9:34 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 6:43 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>>
>> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs long
>> to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute it's
>> turned into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic
>> as a cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely
>> missed the point.
>
> I shouldn't have said anything. If I hadn't commented about Freddy
> Fudpucker being a dick and complaining that it was "unwatchable" the FLC
> would have had nothing to mouth off about and we wouldn't be having this
> conversation :)
>
>> As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have a
>> cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
>> have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.
>>
>> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to
>> think what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.
>
> I didn't think it was the slightest bit difficult to watch. He was
> simply showing one item that was worn *way* past it's usable limit. Not
> giving a tour of his workshop. He achieved his objective.
>
>> On a side note I may get my car back from the panel shop later this
>> week... It's been a marathon.
>
> Fucking hell. How long has that been now?

You wouldn't know how to exercise such restraint Darren! Just not
possible for a narcissistic prick like you.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<so7l1k$qjp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8048&group=aus.cars#8048

From: grumpyte...@gmail.com (Grumpy Tech)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:07:28 +1000
 by: Grumpy Tech - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:07 UTC

On 1/12/2021 8:34 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 6:43 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>>
>> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs long
>> to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute it's
>> turned into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic
>> as a cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely
>> missed the point.
>
> I shouldn't have said anything. If I hadn't commented about Freddy
> Fudpucker being a dick and complaining that it was "unwatchable" the FLC
> would have had nothing to mouth off about and we wouldn't be having this
> conversation :)

They obviously didn't get his sense of humour either. I enjoyed the
"self lubricating anti corrosive chassis modification" describing the
serious oil leaks. I also noted the boots on the front cv joint were
cactus.

>> As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have a
>> cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
>> have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.
>>
>> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to
>> think what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.
>
> I didn't think it was the slightest bit difficult to watch. He was
> simply showing one item that was worn *way* past it's usable limit. Not
> giving a tour of his workshop. He achieved his objective.

Without a doubt. Yes he does jump around a bit but it's still watchable.

>> On a side note I may get my car back from the panel shop later this
>> week... It's been a marathon.
>
> Fucking hell. How long has that been now?

Accident happened on 1 Sep 2020. We've been waiting for parts since
August this year but once they got them they had to order another part
as the metal support that holds the taillight had been welded in on an
angle and none of the guards would align properly.

I must ask what the final bill is from the panelbeater but I would
expect at least $13000 plus they have been paying for a hire car for me
since August. The list of replace parts is quite impressive.

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0p494Fj3msU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8049&group=aus.cars#8049

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:23:13 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:23 UTC

On 1/12/21 9:48 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 7:52 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs
>>> long to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute
>>> it's turned
>>
>> As was pointed out, the video quality detracted from the message.
>>
>>> into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic as a
>>> cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely missed
>>> the point. As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they
>>> also have
>>
>> Mechanics in the trade see that sort of thing *all the time*.
>>
>>> a cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot
>>> also have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.
>>
>> And a lot don't, they just use a simple video editor on their PC. Even
>> with the limitations of their equipment, they produce quite creditable
>> videos.
>

> anyone can make a decent video on a PC these days

Still need to know *how* to do it. Plenty of video scripting and
learning resources available on the internet these days so that's a
start. I did scripting and storyboarding at uni. Did editing too on a 1"
U-Matic editing suite. I also did video animation on computers back in
the 80s and 90s too, all on gear way more primitive than what's
available out there these days. Got a high distinction for an animated
video I produced for my BEd and that was before raytracing was a thing.
I used an Amiga program call Deluxe Paint to produce the basic images
and Deluxe Animator to do the animations. Used an Amiga 2000 with a
locally designed and produced Genlock to put it all out on videotape.
The Genlock was produced by a friend, David Broadbent, who I came to
know through the Amiga Users Group. Good times!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0p4i7Fj59oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8050&group=aus.cars#8050

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:28:05 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:28 UTC

On 1/12/21 10:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 8:34 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs
>>> long to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute
>>> it's turned into the great national debate on the performance of a
>>> mechanic as a cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have
>>> completely missed the point.
>>
>> I shouldn't have said anything. If I hadn't commented about Freddy
>> Fudpucker being a dick and complaining that it was "unwatchable" the
>> FLC would have had nothing to mouth off about and we wouldn't be
>> having this conversation :)
>
> They obviously didn't get his sense of humour either. I enjoyed the
> "self lubricating anti corrosive chassis modification" describing the
> serious oil leaks. I also noted the boots on the front cv joint were
> cactus.

If you see that sort of stupid shit on a regular basis, the *jokes* just
lose their spontaneity and become rather stale. Those jokes are so, so
hackneyed!

>>> As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have a
>>> cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
>>> have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.
>>>
>>> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to
>>> think what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.
>>
>> I didn't think it was the slightest bit difficult to watch. He was
>> simply showing one item that was worn *way* past it's usable limit.
>> Not giving a tour of his workshop. He achieved his objective.
>
> Without a doubt. Yes he does jump around a bit but it's still watchable.

You just don't get it, do you?

>>> On a side note I may get my car back from the panel shop later this
>>> week... It's been a marathon.
>>
>> Fucking hell. How long has that been now?
>
> Accident happened on 1 Sep 2020. We've been waiting for parts since
> August this year but once they got them they had to order another part
> as the metal support that holds the taillight had been welded in on an
> angle and none of the guards would align properly.
>
> I must ask what the final bill is from the panelbeater but I would
> expect at least $13000 plus they have been paying for a hire car for me
> since August. The list of replace parts is quite impressive.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<so7nf9$b5r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8054&group=aus.cars#8054

From: grumpyte...@gmail.com (Grumpy Tech)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:48:53 +1000
 by: Grumpy Tech - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:48 UTC

On 1/12/2021 9:28 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 1/12/21 10:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> I shouldn't have said anything. If I hadn't commented about Freddy
>>> Fudpucker being a dick and complaining that it was "unwatchable" the
>>> FLC would have had nothing to mouth off about and we wouldn't be
>>> having this conversation :)
>>
>> They obviously didn't get his sense of humour either. I enjoyed the
>> "self lubricating anti corrosive chassis modification" describing the
>> serious oil leaks. I also noted the boots on the front cv joint were
>> cactus.
>
> If you see that sort of stupid shit on a regular basis, the *jokes* just
> lose their spontaneity and become rather stale. Those jokes are so, so
> hackneyed!

Of course you would have much better one's because you studied comedy at
university. Oh no sorry, that's right, your life is a joke. A bitter and
twisted old man who lives in his dreams where he thinks he was God's
gift to the world in all subjects and should be worshiped when in actual
fact his obsessive behavior is almost enough for people to pity him.

>>> I didn't think it was the slightest bit difficult to watch. He was
>>> simply showing one item that was worn *way* past it's usable limit.
>>> Not giving a tour of his workshop. He achieved his objective.
>>
>> Without a doubt. Yes he does jump around a bit but it's still watchable.
>
> You just don't get it, do you?

There's nothing to get you idiot. It was just a short video, actually
car related, that showed how bad things can get if you don't maintain
your vehicle. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Grow up.
Yes it wasn't a hollywood production but I've seen some shit from there
as well...

>>> Fucking hell. How long has that been now?
>>
>> Accident happened on 1 Sep 2020. We've been waiting for parts since
>> August this year but once they got them they had to order another part
>> as the metal support that holds the taillight had been welded in on an
>> angle and none of the guards would align properly.
>>
>> I must ask what the final bill is from the panelbeater but I would
>> expect at least $13000 plus they have been paying for a hire car for
>> me since August. The list of replace parts is quite impressive.

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0p61dFjdscU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8055&group=aus.cars#8055

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:53:15 +1100
 by: Daryl - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:53 UTC

On 1/12/21 6:43 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 4:49 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> It would have been far more watchable if he could have just pointed
>>> the camera at something, left it pointing at that long enough to take
>>> in the point that he was making, then turn it off before moving to
>>> the next thing, or at least slow panning between them.
>>
>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>
> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs long
> to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute it's turned
> into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic as a
> cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely missed the
> point. As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have
> a cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
> have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.

I was having the same sort of discussion with my son the other day,
content vs video quality, I'll take content every time.
Mighty Car Mods is a good example of good video quality but IMHO their
content is crap and they are wankers, their content seems to be aimed at
younger people who like cars but don't know much about them.

> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to think
> what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.
>
> On a side note I may get my car back from the panel shop later this
> week... It's been a marathon.

Bloody hell, that saga has gone on forever.

--
Daryl

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0p69qFjf66U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8056&group=aus.cars#8056

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:57:44 +1100
 by: Daryl - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:57 UTC

On 1/12/21 10:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 8:34 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs
>>> long to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute
>>> it's turned into the great national debate on the performance of a
>>> mechanic as a cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have
>>> completely missed the point.
>>
>> I shouldn't have said anything. If I hadn't commented about Freddy
>> Fudpucker being a dick and complaining that it was "unwatchable" the
>> FLC would have had nothing to mouth off about and we wouldn't be
>> having this conversation :)
>
> They obviously didn't get his sense of humour either. I enjoyed the
> "self lubricating anti corrosive chassis modification" describing the
> serious oil leaks. I also noted the boots on the front cv joint were
> cactus.
>>
>>> As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have a
>>> cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
>>> have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.
>>>
>>> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to
>>> think what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.
>>
>> I didn't think it was the slightest bit difficult to watch. He was
>> simply showing one item that was worn *way* past it's usable limit.
>> Not giving a tour of his workshop. He achieved his objective.
>
> Without a doubt. Yes he does jump around a bit but it's still watchable.
>>
>>> On a side note I may get my car back from the panel shop later this
>>> week... It's been a marathon.
>>
>> Fucking hell. How long has that been now?
>
> Accident happened on 1 Sep 2020. We've been waiting for parts since
> August this year but once they got them they had to order another part
> as the metal support that holds the taillight had been welded in on an
> angle and none of the guards would align properly.
>
> I must ask what the final bill is from the panelbeater but I would
> expect at least $13000 plus they have been paying for a hire car for me
> since August. The list of replace parts is quite impressive.

You must have the patience of a saint, I would have been murdering
people long before now.

--
Daryl

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<so7phs$qdu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8058&group=aus.cars#8058

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 23:24:24 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 12:24 UTC

On 1/12/2021 10:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 8:34 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> I shouldn't have said anything. If I hadn't commented about Freddy
>> Fudpucker being a dick and complaining that it was "unwatchable" the
>> FLC would have had nothing to mouth off about and we wouldn't be
>> having this conversation :)
>
> They obviously didn't get his sense of humour either. I enjoyed the
> "self lubricating anti corrosive chassis modification" describing the
> serious oil leaks. I also noted the boots on the front cv joint were
> cactus.

Yep. The car looked like it was ready to be crushed.

>>> As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have a
>>> cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
>>> have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.
>>>
>>> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to
>>> think what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.
>>
>> I didn't think it was the slightest bit difficult to watch. He was
>> simply showing one item that was worn *way* past it's usable limit.
>> Not giving a tour of his workshop. He achieved his objective.
>
> Without a doubt. Yes he does jump around a bit but it's still watchable.

Very. Calling it "unwatchable" was just nonsense for someone to have
something to whinge about :)

>>> On a side note I may get my car back from the panel shop later this
>>> week... It's been a marathon.
>>
>> Fucking hell. How long has that been now?
>
> Accident happened on 1 Sep 2020. We've been waiting for parts since
> August this year but once they got them they had to order another part
> as the metal support that holds the taillight had been welded in on an
> angle and none of the guards would align properly.

Jesus :)

> I must ask what the final bill is from the panelbeater but I would
> expect at least $13000 plus they have been paying for a hire car for me
> since August. The list of replace parts is quite impressive.

I'm sure it is.

Money doesn't go far at a panel shop these days. This is $5500 worth of
damage on my Mum's old Getz, according to the panel shop that quoted on it:

> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME5CYBG

A woman in a Suby wagon ran into the side of it while coming out of a
car park and not looking where she was going. Her insurer, who was RACV
I think, wrote Mum's car off as the cost of the repairs exceed the
market value, but because it's over 15 years old it doesn't go on the
written off vehicle register and she gets to keep it.

Because it's a 2003 model that's only done 30k km's they declared it's
market value at $4950, and took out a 1200 buck salvage fee for Mum to
keep the car. I'm repairing it as we speak (in fact I just painted it
today) and the total cost to be back on the road will run about 700 bucks.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0p83uFjqn6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8059&group=aus.cars#8059

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 23:28:41 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 12:28 UTC

On 1/12/21 10:48 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 9:28 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> They obviously didn't get his sense of humour either. I enjoyed the
>>> "self lubricating anti corrosive chassis modification" describing the
>>> serious oil leaks. I also noted the boots on the front cv joint were
>>> cactus.
>>
>> If you see that sort of stupid shit on a regular basis, the *jokes*
>> just lose their spontaneity and become rather stale. Those jokes are
>> so, so hackneyed!
>>

> Of course you would have much better one's because you studied comedy at
> university. Oh no sorry, that's right, your life is a joke. A bitter and

Video and audio production, in fact. No comedy there. That said, any
video production could have added comedy. It's just that if you've
worked in the trade as long as I have, all those jokes, like the ones in
the video, are all old hat, they are *trite*! That much I don't expect
you to know because you have never been involved in the motor trade.

> twisted old man who lives in his dreams where he thinks he was God's
> gift to the world in all subjects and should be worshiped when in actual
> fact his obsessive behavior is almost enough for people to pity him.

For obsessive behaviour, see Darren.

>>> Without a doubt. Yes he does jump around a bit but it's still watchable.
>>
>> You just don't get it, do you?
>
> There's nothing to get you idiot. It was just a short video, actually

As I said, you don't get it.

> car related, that showed how bad things can get if you don't maintain
> your vehicle. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Grow up.

It can get a hell of a lot worse than that.

> Yes it wasn't a hollywood production but I've seen some shit from there
> as well...

Those youtube videos are as common as dog shit on the internet. Some
good, some bad.

>>> Accident happened on 1 Sep 2020. We've been waiting for parts since
>>> August this year but once they got them they had to order another
>>> part as the metal support that holds the taillight had been welded in
>>> on an angle and none of the guards would align properly.
>>>
>>> I must ask what the final bill is from the panelbeater but I would
>>> expect at least $13000 plus they have been paying for a hire car for
>>> me since August. The list of replace parts is quite impressive.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<so7sdb$fcs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8061&group=aus.cars#8061

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:13:08 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 13:13 UTC

On 1/12/2021 3:43 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 4:49 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> It would have been far more watchable if he could have just pointed
>>> the camera at something, left it pointing at that long enough to take
>>> in the point that he was making, then turn it off before moving to
>>> the next thing, or at least slow panning between them.
>>
>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>
> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs long
> to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute it's turned
> into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic as a
> cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely missed the
> point. As for youtubers who have all the gear, generally they also have
> a cameraperson doing the video and do not do it themselves. A lot also
> have professional editing tools as they make their money from it.
>
> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to think
> what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.

FWIW IMO the video was fine and achieved it's objective.

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<1ii15hqptqb5o$.1owaungcpad6x.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8062&group=aus.cars#8062

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 05:41:58 +1000
 by: alvey - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 19:41 UTC

On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:34:26 +1100, Noddy wrote:

> On 1/12/2021 6:43 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>>
>> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs long
>> to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute it's turned
>> into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic as a
>> cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely missed the
>> point.
>
> I shouldn't have said anything.

Yep. The world, and this dump in particular, would be a far better place if
you applied that routinely.

alvey

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0qc7iFqjs6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8065&group=aus.cars#8065

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 09:45:03 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:45 UTC

On 2/12/21 6:41 am, alvey wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:34:26 +1100, Noddy wrote:

>>> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs long
>>> to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute it's turned
>>> into the great national debate on the performance of a mechanic as a
>>> cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have completely missed the
>>> point.
>>
>> I shouldn't have said anything.

A *rare* piece of honesty from Darren. Has there ever been another such
occurrence? The Australian Government should mark this day, the 1st of
Dec. 2021, as a significant day in Australia's history.

> Yep. The world, and this dump in particular, would be a far better place if
> you applied that routinely.

And retrospectively.

Ok, retrospectively is a tad difficult, alternatively, how about he
provides *proof* of his manifold claims instead?? ;-)

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0qep6Fr305U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8068&group=aus.cars#8068

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:30:52 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 23:30 UTC

On 1/12/2021 11:24 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 10:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>> On 1/12/2021 8:34 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> I shouldn't have said anything. If I hadn't commented about Freddy
>>> Fudpucker being a dick and complaining that it was "unwatchable" the
>>> FLC would have had nothing to mouth off about and we wouldn't be
>>> having this conversation :)
>>
>> They obviously didn't get his sense of humour either. I enjoyed the
>> "self lubricating anti corrosive chassis modification" describing the
>> serious oil leaks. I also noted the boots on the front cv joint were
>> cactus.
>
> Yep. The car looked like it was ready to be crushed.

>>> I didn't think it was the slightest bit difficult to watch. He was
>>> simply showing one item that was worn *way* past it's usable limit.
>>> Not giving a tour of his workshop. He achieved his objective.
>>
>> Without a doubt. Yes he does jump around a bit but it's still watchable.
>
> Very. Calling it "unwatchable" was just nonsense for someone to have
> something to whinge about :)

>>> Fucking hell. How long has that been now?
>>
>> Accident happened on 1 Sep 2020. We've been waiting for parts since
>> August this year but once they got them they had to order another
>> part as the metal support that holds the taillight had been welded in
>> on an angle and none of the guards would align properly.
>
> Jesus :)
>
>> I must ask what the final bill is from the panelbeater but I would
>> expect at least $13000 plus they have been paying for a hire car for
>> me since August. The list of replace parts is quite impressive.
>
> I'm sure it is.
>
> Money doesn't go far at a panel shop these days. This is $5500 worth
> of damage on my Mum's old Getz, according to the panel shop that
> quoted on it:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME5CYBG
>
> A woman in a Suby wagon ran into the side of it while coming out of a
> car park and not looking where she was going. Her insurer, who was
> RACV I think, wrote Mum's car off as the cost of the repairs exceed
> the market value, but because it's over 15 years old it doesn't go on
> the written off vehicle register and she gets to keep it.
>
> Because it's a 2003 model that's only done 30k km's they declared it's
> market value at $4950, and took out a 1200 buck salvage fee for Mum to
> keep the car. I'm repairing it as we speak (in fact I just painted it
> today) and the total cost to be back on the road will run about 700
> bucks.

what an excellent result from an accident. she gets $3,750 cash and
still has her car. or $3,050 if she pays for the parts. I assume her son
won't charge for his labor.  :)

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0qf9qFr5s3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8071&group=aus.cars#8071

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:39:44 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 23:39 UTC

On 2/12/2021 9:45 am, Xeno wrote:
> On 2/12/21 6:41 am, alvey wrote:

>>> I shouldn't have said anything.
>
> A *rare* piece of honesty from Darren. Has there ever been another
> such occurrence? The Australian Government should mark this day, the
> 1st of Dec. 2021, as a significant day in Australia's history.

perhaps the mint could also strike a limited edition coin with his
portrait on it?  :)

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: How could you drive this anywhere!

<j0qfc3Fr5s3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8072&group=aus.cars#8072

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:40:58 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 23:40 UTC

On 2/12/2021 12:13 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 3:43 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> Come on. It wasn't difficult to watch :)
>>
>> Stuff me, you post up a car related video which is barely 30 secs
>> long to highlight very poor maintenance on a vehicle, next minute
>> it's turned into the great national debate on the performance of a
>> mechanic as a cameraman. Pickle me grandmother some people have
>> completely missed the point. As for youtubers who have all the gear,
>> generally they also have a cameraperson doing the video and do not do
>> it themselves. A lot also have professional editing tools as they
>> make their money from it.
>>
>> I didn't think it was that hard to watch apart from shuddering to
>> think what might have happened in an emergency braking situation.
>>

> FWIW IMO the video was fine and achieved it's objective.

maybe it's time I watched this much discussed video..