Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. -- Kris Kristofferson, "Me and Bobby McGee"

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and water

SubjectAuthor
* Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and watermisterroy
+* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterTim Streater
|+* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and watermisterroy
||+* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterS Viemeister
|||`- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterTim Streater
||`- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterBrian Gaff
|`- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterVir Campestris
+* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterChris Hogg
|`* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterVir Campestris
| `* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and watermisterroy
|  `* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterS Viemeister
|   `* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and watermisterroy
|    +* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterS Viemeister
|    |`* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and watermisterroy
|    | +- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterJohn J
|    | `- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterS Viemeister
|    `- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and watercharles
+- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterMartin Brown
+* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterJohn J
|+* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterTim Streater
||+- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterchop
||+* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterJohn J
|||+- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterMichael Chare
|||`- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterTim Lamb
||`* Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and watermisterroy
|| `- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterJohn J
|`- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterMartin Brown
`- Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and waterBrian

Pages:12
Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and water

<5a5bec7c74charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82623&group=uk.d-i-y#82623

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Subject: Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and water
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 17:46:56 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 17:46 UTC

In article <87c3758b-8d3c-42ce-93ca-1da55a3ec842n@googlegroups.com>,
misterroy <rgdavidson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, December 24, 2022 at 4:04:31 PM UTC, S Viemeister wrote:
> > On 24/12/2022 15:18, misterroy wrote:
> >
> > > We have different suppliers for the fuel.
> > > The gunk in his fuel line was " like watery porridge".
> > >
> > Out of nosiness - which fuel suppliers do the two of you use?
> > Years ago, I used the people in Lairg, until they morphed into
> > 'Scottish' Fuels.
> > I've been getting deliveries from Simpson's in Caithness for some time
> > now, and have not as yet had any problems with them.
> >
> > (Are you the Roy who has the bunkhouse?)
> No Bunkhouse, we are Isle of Lewis.

Whereabouts? I have a friend who lives in Carloway.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and water

<b4817093-8c14-472c-9271-81594095902dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82625&group=uk.d-i-y#82625

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 10:28:41 -0800 (PST)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 18:28 UTC

On Saturday, 24 December 2022 at 17:40:51 UTC, misterroy wrote:
> On Saturday, December 24, 2022 at 4:53:12 PM UTC, S Viemeister wrote:

> > > No Bunkhouse, we are Isle of Lewis.
> > > I have been with Highland Fuels, and my neighbour Scottish Fuels.
> > > I did not use Scottish Fuels after they were caught price gauging. Well, not until the last fill, where they were cheaper than Highland Fuels. Fingers crossed.
> > >
> > I stopped dealing with SF due both to prices and poor service. We used
> > to use a Rayburn, and when the man who usually cleaned and serviced it
> > was out on sick leave his replacement pretended to have properly
> > de-sooted everything. He hadn't, and it led to a chimney fire.
> Think the difference may have been found. I order 1000 litres, in my 1000 litre tank.
> He orders 1200 litres for his 2400 litre tank, so it is only ever about half full, leaving room for air, moisture and condensation.
> Leading to algae, gunk asnd a failled pump.
>
> This is from a heating oil supplier:
> "Preventing Tank Sludge
> What can you do to prevent a sludge problem in your heating oil tank in the months to come? Here are four key actions you should take:
>
> Keep enough heating oil in your tank – An empty heating oil tank promotes condensation build-up on its walls, which accelerates the growth of sludge-forming bacteria. If your tank is less than half full, schedule an oil delivery today.
> Get professional heating maintenance every year – A heating tune-up includes a filter change – a must for your heating oil system. It will also help technicians to spot a sludge problem early, before too much damage is done.
> Consider draining your tank – Sludge accumulates over time; if you have an older heating oil tank, consider having it drained by a waste oil contractor. Removing sludge this way can save you money on repairs and help your heating system to perform better.
> Choose a reputable heating oil supplier – “Discount” fuel companies commonly offer fuel that is less refined and contains more contaminants. Remember: as with many things in life, you get what you pay for!"

Can't comment on Scottish fuel sources but nearly all the kerosine supplied around East Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire is refined in Lindsey Oil Refinery. All the different companies fill their tankers there. Some add magic juice which they claim makes their Kerosine better than their competitors but it's all refined the same way. I'd be surprised if Scottish refineries run different batches for different companies and water in the refinery output stream is extremely unlikely. Most times we found water inside domestic fuel tanks it was due to rain ingress through defective tank tops or "borrowed" fuel being poured in by the customer. I had one old chap whose boiler wouldn't fire. I drained about 5 gallons of water out of his steel tank and purged the fuel lines to get his boiler going. Placed a poly cover over the top of the tank as a temporary rain proofing as I found the top had been dished in by him standing on it to access his garage roof and clean his bathroom window. Over the years a pool of rainwater formed and eventually a hole rusted through, funneling rain into the tank.
When he had run the tank contents right down over the rest of the season I swapped his old tank out for a new one.

Re: Heating Oil, 2000 L tank vs 1000 and water

<k0ovj2F3i49U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82626&group=uk.d-i-y#82626

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 18:43:45 +0000
 by: S Viemeister - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 18:43 UTC

On 24/12/2022 17:40, misterroy wrote:

> Think the difference may have been found. I order 1000 litres, in my 1000 litre tank.
> He orders 1200 litres for his 2400 litre tank, so it is only ever about half full, leaving room for air, moisture and condensation.
> Leading to algae, gunk and a failed pump.
>
> This is from a heating oil supplier:
> "Preventing Tank Sludge
> What can you do to prevent a sludge problem in your heating oil tank in the months to come? Here are four key actions you should take:
>
> Keep enough heating oil in your tank – An empty heating oil tank promotes condensation build-up on its walls, which accelerates the growth of sludge-forming bacteria. If your tank is less than half full, schedule an oil delivery today.

Yes. We've always made a point of keeping a good amount of fuel in the
tank.