Serving suggestion.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / [OT] EVs and the used car market

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] EVs and the used car marketSpike
+* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketBrian Gaff
|`- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketRod Speed
+- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketJethro_uk
+* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketJim gm4dhj ...
|`* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketAndrew
| +- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketjim.gm4dhj
| `- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketalan_m
+* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketRod Speed
|`* charityjim.gm4dhj
| +* Re: charityalan_m
| |+- Re: charityJim gm4dhj ...
| |+- Re: charityRobert
| |`* Re: charityJack Harry Teesdale
| | `- Re: charitymm0fmf
| +* Re: charityHarry Bloomfield Esq
| |+- Re: charityalan_m
| |+* Re: charityjim.gm4dhj
| ||`* Re: charityRichard
| || `* Re: charityjim.gm4dhj
| ||  `* Re: charityRichard
| ||   +* Re: charityjim.gm4dhj
| ||   |`* Re: charityRichard
| ||   | `* Re: charityjim.gm4dhj
| ||   |  `* Re: charityRichard
| ||   |   +* Re: charityJim gm4dhj ...
| ||   |   |`* Re: charityRichard
| ||   |   | `- Re: charityjim.gm4dhj
| ||   |   `* Re: charityMarland
| ||   |    `- Re: charityRichard
| ||   `- Re: charityRod Speed
| |`- Re: charityThe Natural Philosopher
| +- Re: charityinri
| `* Re: charityBrian Gaff
|  `* Re: charitymm0fmf
|   `* Re: charityThe Natural Philosopher
|    +- Re: charityJim gm4dhj ...
|    +- Re: charityHarry Bloomfield Esq
|    `- Re: charityRobin
+* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketTheo
|+- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketjim.gm4dhj
|`* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketSpike
| `* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketAndy Burns
|  +* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketSpike
|  |`- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketTricky Dicky
|  `- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketchop
+* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketPaul
|+- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketJethro_uk
|`* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketColin Bignell
| +- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketTim+
| +- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketAndy Burns
| +* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketTheo
| |`* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketThe Natural Philosopher
| | `* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketJNugent
| |  `- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketThe Natural Philosopher
| `- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketPaul
`* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketScott
 `* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketTim+
  `* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketTheo
   `* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketThe Other John
    +- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketRJH
    +* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketPaul
    |`- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketThe Other John
    +* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketcharles
    |`* Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketThe Other John
    | `- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketcharles
    +- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketTheo
    `- Re: [OT] EVs and the used car marketThe Natural Philosopher

Pages:123
[OT] EVs and the used car market

<k0vs1mF4tfsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82779&group=uk.d-i-y#82779

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: [OT] EVs and the used car market
Date: 27 Dec 2022 09:26:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 09:26 UTC

Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the state
of the car market in 2022.

One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
the fastest.

Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two possible
reasons were advanced.

One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life and the
cost of replacement.

The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that new
EVs are far superior to one’s made in only the recent past.

There was no mention of the costs of electricity.

--
Spike

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<toehoj$3jn7a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82792&group=uk.d-i-y#82792

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 10:34:57 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 10:34 UTC

The thing is all cars these days have a much larger lease footprint than
they used to, so that would mean fewer cars to be on the second hand market
until some point where people take an upgrade, at which point a lot of cars
turn up on the market at the same time, and I suspect much like mobile phone
rentals, they want you to trade up as the maintenance costs increase etc.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Spike" <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote in message

> Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the state
> of the car market in 2022.
>
> One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
> the fastest.
>
> Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two possible
> reasons were advanced.
>
> One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life and
> the
> cost of replacement.
>
> The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that new
> EVs are far superior to one's made in only the recent past.
>
> There was no mention of the costs of electricity.
>
> --
> Spike

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<toejtj$289p8$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82798&group=uk.d-i-y#82798

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 11:11:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 11:11 UTC

On Tue, 27 Dec 2022 09:26:14 +0000, Spike wrote:

> Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the
> state of the car market in 2022.
>
> One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
> the fastest.
>
> Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two
> possible reasons were advanced.
>
> One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life and
> the cost of replacement.
>
> The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that
> new EVs are far superior to one’s made in only the recent past.
>
> There was no mention of the costs of electricity.

Maybe they're crap ?

Anecdatally, a big bar is the fact that unless you have not just the
dedicated charging point at home, but also the off road space to use it,
you are going to be dependent on having to spend hours (a) looking for
and (b) charging your shiny EV. Neither of which fits in with the time-
poor lifestyle needed to pay for the beasts.

One of our directors has a Tesla. He's retired with all the time in the
world to faff around charging.

There *is* a place for EVs in society. But this isn't it. And much like
the laws of physics, you can't really buck the laws of nature generally.

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<toeriq$3kmr3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82817&group=uk.d-i-y#82817

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim gm4dhj ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 13:22:34 +0000
 by: Jim gm4dhj ... - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 13:22 UTC

On 27/12/2022 09:26, Spike wrote:

> Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the state
> of the car market in 2022.
>
> One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
> the fastest.
>
> Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two possible
> reasons were advanced.
>
> One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life and the
> cost of replacement.
>
> The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that new
> EVs are far superior to one’s made in only the recent past.
>
> There was no mention of the costs of electricity.

just watch second hand ICE cars skyrocket after 2020....

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<op.1xufrap5byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82830&group=uk.d-i-y#82830

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 03:22:12 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 16:22 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote

> Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the state
> of the car market in 2022.
>
> One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
> the fastest.

Not what happened here in Oz with used cars. The price of
those has risen dramatically, essentially because of the very
significant delay in getting your new car delivered after you
have ordered it due to very significant shortages of semiconductors.

Not clear what has happened to the price of used EVs here,
I don't know of anyone stupid enough to own one yet.

> Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two
> possible
> reasons were advanced.

> One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life and
> the
> cost of replacement.

> The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that new
> EVs are far superior to one’s made in only the recent past.

> There was no mention of the costs of electricity.

Lots here have solar panels but it isnt clear how many use
them to charge their EVs for free. That's obviously only
feasible if you mostly work from home and most don't do that.

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<tof747$cej$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82835&group=uk.d-i-y#82835

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 16:39:34 +0000
 by: Andrew - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 16:39 UTC

On 27/12/2022 13:22, Jim gm4dhj ... wrote:
> On 27/12/2022 09:26, Spike wrote:
>>
>> Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the state
>> of the car market in 2022.
>>
>> One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
>> the fastest.
>>
>> Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two
>> possible
>> reasons were advanced.
>>
>> One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life
>> and the
>> cost of replacement.
>>
>> The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that new
>> EVs are far superior to one’s made in only the recent past.
>>
>> There was no mention of the costs of electricity.
>>
> just watch second hand ICE cars skyrocket after 2020....

They did, but across the pond they have now crashed back to
2019 prices.

When did you last see that advert on the TV from
"We buy any car dot com" ?

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<op.1xug9fsbbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82839&group=uk.d-i-y#82839

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 03:54:41 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 16:54 UTC

On Tue, 27 Dec 2022 21:34:57 +1100, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The thing is all cars these days have a much larger lease footprint than
> they used to, so that would mean fewer cars to be on the second hand
> market
> until some point where people take an upgrade, at which point a lot of
> cars
> turn up on the market at the same time, and I suspect much like mobile
> phone
> rentals, they want you to trade up as the maintenance costs increase
> etc.

I haven't found that the maintenance costs increase with my
now 17 year old petrol Hyundia Getz tho the mandatory timing
belt swap isnt cheap. Not anywhere near that yet with mine.

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<tof8ps$3m0ot$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82842&group=uk.d-i-y#82842

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:08:12 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:08 UTC

On 27/12/2022 16:39, Andrew wrote:
> On 27/12/2022 13:22, Jim gm4dhj ... wrote:
>> On 27/12/2022 09:26, Spike wrote:
>>>
>>> Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the
>>> state
>>> of the car market in 2022.
>>>
>>> One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
>>> the fastest.
>>>
>>> Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two
>>> possible
>>> reasons were advanced.
>>>
>>> One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life
>>> and the
>>> cost of replacement.
>>>
>>> The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that
>>> new
>>> EVs are far superior to one’s made in only the recent past.
>>>
>>> There was no mention of the costs of electricity.
>>>
>> just watch second hand ICE cars skyrocket after 2020....
>
> They did, but across the pond they have now crashed back to
> 2019 prices.
>
> When did you last see that advert on the TV from
> "We buy any car dot com" ?
sorry I meant 2030

charity

<tof9hb$3m0ot$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82843&group=uk.d-i-y#82843

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: charity
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:20:43 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:20 UTC

why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
and not a round number ?

Re: charity

<k10pt7F9a31U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82854&group=uk.d-i-y#82854

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: charity
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:55:52 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:55 UTC

On 27/12/2022 17:20, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
> why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
> and not a round number ?

It is a round number.

£1 for the charity and £18.07 for collection expenses and for the third
party fund raising company.

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<k10q5uF9a31U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82855&group=uk.d-i-y#82855

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:00:30 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:00 UTC

On 27/12/2022 16:39, Andrew wrote:

> They did, but across the pond they have now crashed back to
> 2019 prices.

Judging by some of the Youtube videos I've been watching lately both the
second hand car and smaller commercial vehicle market prices in the USA
have been high in Autumn and run up to Xmas.

Re: charity

<tofejr$3ml13$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82857&group=uk.d-i-y#82857

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim gm4dhj ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:47:23 +0000
 by: Jim gm4dhj ... - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:47 UTC

On 27/12/2022 17:55, alan_m wrote:
> On 27/12/2022 17:20, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
>> why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
>> and not a round number ?
>
> It is a round number.
>
> £1 for the charity and £18.07 for collection expenses and for the third
> party fund raising company.

haaaaaaaaaaaaa

Re: charity

<k1103dFa6e8U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82859&group=uk.d-i-y#82859

From: rob...@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:41:33 +0000
 by: Robert - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:41 UTC

On 27/12/2022 17:55, alan_m wrote:
> On 27/12/2022 17:20, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
>> why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
>> and not a round number ?
>
> It is a round number.
>
> £1 for the charity and £18.07 for collection expenses and for the third
> party fund raising company.

So they can track the success of the adverts ??

Re: charity

<tofkje$3ltvv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82860&group=uk.d-i-y#82860

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 20:29:34 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 20:29 UTC

On 27/12/2022 17:20, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
> why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
> and not a round number ?

Why do the spongers, suggest you adopt so many animals, whales, polar
bears, lions, tigers, donkeys, elephants, horses, dogs, cats, penguins?
I adopted them all, put them in my garage, but they just fight all the time

Re: charity

<k1197iFbht0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82861&group=uk.d-i-y#82861

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 22:17:23 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 22:17 UTC

On 27/12/2022 20:29, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 27/12/2022 17:20, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
>> why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
>> and not a round number ?
>
> Why do the spongers, suggest you adopt so many animals, whales, polar
> bears, lions, tigers, donkeys, elephants, horses, dogs, cats, penguins?
> I adopted them all, put them in my garage, but they just fight all the time

But don't forget they are creating lots of employment in far east sweat
shops making those cuddly toys they send to you. You have to applaud
these organisations for teaching the animals English so that they can
write to you informing you on how they are getting on, and begging for
more money.

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<Dvh*edW6y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82868&group=uk.d-i-y#82868

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 28 Dec 2022 08:49:21 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 08:49 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:

> Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the state
> of the car market in 2022.
>
> One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
> the fastest.
>
> Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two possible
> reasons were advanced.
>
> One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life and the
> cost of replacement.
>
> The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that new
> EVs are far superior to one’s made in only the recent past.
>
> There was no mention of the costs of electricity.

I think this is the source article:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-used-car-price-bubble-pops-weighs-new-car-demand-2022-12-27/

It's not about used EVs but Teslas specifically. Neither of the points
above hold for them: battery longevity is excellent for Teslas (90-95%
capacity at 10 years plus) and Tesla haven't released a new model for
several years, so latest-and-greatest doesn't really apply.

The article is citing data from the US where EV supply has been very
limited. Typically Americans buy new cars from dealer stock, whereas since
the pandemic supplies have dried up and dealers have had enormous markups.
To get an EV requires ordering one and waiting months. People have been
ordering them and then reselling them on delivery at a markup. That
artificially inflated the 'used' prices. As supply chain woes have eased,
delivery times have reduced and such flipping is less attractive.

As well as other EVs becoming old enough to enter the used market, another
factor is that Musk's antics at Twitter have devalued Tesla, both from a
shareholder point of view (investors don't have confidence in Musk running
Tesla well and not being distracted) but also tarnished Tesla as a luxury
brand (Tesla was always erratic on things like aftermarket service and
supply of spare parts and any uncertainty doesn't encourage confidence).
That means fewer people are willing to consider a Tesla as their next car,
which depresses used prices.

Those are both market bumps and nothing to do with EVs per se.

Theo
(whose car is 16 and still worth more than I paid for it 6 years ago, so the
UK used market remains crazy)

Re: charity

<toh10k$3u2rj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82869&group=uk.d-i-y#82869

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:07:32 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:07 UTC

On 27/12/2022 20:29, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 27/12/2022 17:20, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
>> why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
>> and not a round number ?
>
> Why do the spongers, suggest you adopt so many animals, whales, polar
> bears, lions, tigers, donkeys, elephants, horses, dogs, cats, penguins?
> I adopted them all, put them in my garage, but they just fight all the time
Donkeys are so cool .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpo7hVxC0mU

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<toh19a$3u2r1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82870&group=uk.d-i-y#82870

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:12:10 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:12 UTC

On 28/12/2022 08:49, Theo wrote:
> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the state
>> of the car market in 2022.
>>
>> One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
>> the fastest.
>>
>> Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two possible
>> reasons were advanced.
>>
>> One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life and the
>> cost of replacement.
>>
>> The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that new
>> EVs are far superior to one’s made in only the recent past.
>>
>> There was no mention of the costs of electricity.
>
> I think this is the source article:
>
> https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-used-car-price-bubble-pops-weighs-new-car-demand-2022-12-27/
>
> It's not about used EVs but Teslas specifically. Neither of the points
> above hold for them: battery longevity is excellent for Teslas (90-95%
> capacity at 10 years plus) and Tesla haven't released a new model for
> several years, so latest-and-greatest doesn't really apply.
>
> The article is citing data from the US where EV supply has been very
> limited. Typically Americans buy new cars from dealer stock, whereas since
> the pandemic supplies have dried up and dealers have had enormous markups.
> To get an EV requires ordering one and waiting months. People have been
> ordering them and then reselling them on delivery at a markup. That
> artificially inflated the 'used' prices. As supply chain woes have eased,
> delivery times have reduced and such flipping is less attractive.
>
> As well as other EVs becoming old enough to enter the used market, another
> factor is that Musk's antics at Twitter have devalued Tesla, both from a
> shareholder point of view (investors don't have confidence in Musk running
> Tesla well and not being distracted) but also tarnished Tesla as a luxury
> brand (Tesla was always erratic on things like aftermarket service and
> supply of spare parts and any uncertainty doesn't encourage confidence).
> That means fewer people are willing to consider a Tesla as their next car,
> which depresses used prices.
>
> Those are both market bumps and nothing to do with EVs per se.
>
> Theo
> (whose car is 16 and still worth more than I paid for it 6 years ago, so the
> UK used market remains crazy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=217hY1YFFws

Re: charity

<toh2it$pr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82874&group=uk.d-i-y#82874

From: smith...@btinternet.com.invalid (Richard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:34:20 +0000
 by: Richard - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:34 UTC

On 28/12/2022 09:07, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
> On 27/12/2022 20:29, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>> On 27/12/2022 17:20, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
>>> why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
>>> and not a round number ?
>>
>> Why do the spongers, suggest you adopt so many animals, whales, polar
>> bears, lions, tigers, donkeys, elephants, horses, dogs, cats,
>> penguins? I adopted them all, put them in my garage, but they just
>> fight all the time
> Donkeys are so cool .......
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpo7hVxC0mU

Which third world country is that?

Re: charity

<toh3b3$3uafs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82876&group=uk.d-i-y#82876

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:47:15 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:47 UTC

On 28/12/2022 09:34, Richard wrote:
> On 28/12/2022 09:07, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
>>>
>>> Why do the spongers, suggest you adopt so many animals, whales, polar
>>> bears, lions, tigers, donkeys, elephants, horses, dogs, cats,
>>> penguins? I adopted them all, put them in my garage, but they just
>>> fight all the time
>> Donkeys are so cool .......
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpo7hVxC0mU
>
> Which third world country is that?
Ayrshire.....

Re: charity

<toh6ci$3uhjf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82878&group=uk.d-i-y#82878

From: sca...@_us.org (inri)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:39:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: inri - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:39 UTC

On Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:20:43 +0000, jim.gm4dhj wrote:

> why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
> and not a round number ?

Already m'boy, good little earner.

Re: charity

<toh6jj$3uk56$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82879&group=uk.d-i-y#82879

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:42:59 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:42 UTC

On 27/12/2022 20:29, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 27/12/2022 17:20, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
>> why do charity spongers ask for nineteen pounds and seven pence on tv
>> and not a round number ?
>
> Why do the spongers, suggest you adopt so many animals, whales, polar
> bears, lions, tigers, donkeys, elephants, horses, dogs, cats, penguins?
> I adopted them all, put them in my garage, but they just fight all the time]

I built a pen in the garden, watched them fight it out and ate the last
pet standing

Josef Stalin

Re: [OT] EVs and the used car market

<k12ligFi035U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82881&group=uk.d-i-y#82881

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 28 Dec 2022 10:54:08 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:54 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Business news on the radio this morning contained an item about the state
>> of the car market in 2022.
>>
>> One surprise was a comment that of all used cars, EV values were falling
>> the fastest.
>>
>> Although the reasons for this state of affairs was not known, two possible
>> reasons were advanced.
>>
>> One was the concern by owners of three-year-old EVs of battery life and the
>> cost of replacement.
>>
>> The second was that technology has moved on so fast in that time that new
>> EVs are far superior to one’s made in only the recent past.
>>
>> There was no mention of the costs of electricity.
>
> I think this is the source article:
>
> https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-used-car-price-bubble-pops-weighs-new-car-demand-2022-12-27/
>
> It's not about used EVs but Teslas specifically. Neither of the points
> above hold for them: battery longevity is excellent for Teslas (90-95%
> capacity at 10 years plus) and Tesla haven't released a new model for
> several years, so latest-and-greatest doesn't really apply.
>
> The article is citing data from the US where EV supply has been very
> limited. Typically Americans buy new cars from dealer stock, whereas since
> the pandemic supplies have dried up and dealers have had enormous markups.
> To get an EV requires ordering one and waiting months. People have been
> ordering them and then reselling them on delivery at a markup. That
> artificially inflated the 'used' prices. As supply chain woes have eased,
> delivery times have reduced and such flipping is less attractive.
>
> As well as other EVs becoming old enough to enter the used market, another
> factor is that Musk's antics at Twitter have devalued Tesla, both from a
> shareholder point of view (investors don't have confidence in Musk running
> Tesla well and not being distracted) but also tarnished Tesla as a luxury
> brand (Tesla was always erratic on things like aftermarket service and
> supply of spare parts and any uncertainty doesn't encourage confidence).
> That means fewer people are willing to consider a Tesla as their next car,
> which depresses used prices.
>
> Those are both market bumps and nothing to do with EVs per se.
>
> Theo
> (whose car is 16 and still worth more than I paid for it 6 years ago, so the
> UK used market remains crazy)

Thanks. I was aware of the Tesla issue of owners turning away from the make
because of Musk’s recently expressed political views, from a business news
report a week or two ago.

The item I referred to was another business news report on the radio, but
it was only a day or two ago and was addressing the UK car market.

As I said above, the reasons for this slump in the value of second-hand EVs
weren’t known to the interviewee, so remain somewhat speculative.

--
Spike

Re: charity

<toh8je$l3r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82883&group=uk.d-i-y#82883

From: smith...@btinternet.com.invalid (Richard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 11:17:02 +0000
 by: Richard - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 11:17 UTC

On 28/12/2022 09:47, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
> On 28/12/2022 09:34, Richard wrote:

>>> Donkeys are so cool .......
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpo7hVxC0mU
>>
>> Which third world country is that?
> Ayrshire.....

Visit the New Forest to see donkeys that are not living in such desolation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99RgAA_Xu30

Re: charity

<toh9gb$3usp0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82885&group=uk.d-i-y#82885

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 11:32:28 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 11:32 UTC

On 28/12/2022 11:17, Richard wrote:
> On 28/12/2022 09:47, jim.gm4dhj wrote:

>>> Which third world country is that?
>> Ayrshire.....
>
> Visit the New Forest to see donkeys that are not living in such desolation.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99RgAA_Xu30
what desolation ? ....

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / [OT] EVs and the used car market