"It takes all sorts of in & out-door schooling to get adapted to my kind of fooling" -- R. Frost

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Masking Type

SubjectAuthor
* Masking TypeTone
+* Masking Typemaus
|+* Masking TypeRichard Robinson
||`* Masking TypePeter
|| +* Masking TypeRustyHinge
|| |+- Masking TypeRichard Robinson
|| |`- Masking TypeSam Plusnet
|| `- Masking TypeNick Odell
|`* Masking TypeChrisND@privacy.net
| +* Masking TypeTone
| |+* Masking TypeNicholas D. Richards
| ||+* Masking TypeTone
| ||`* Masking Typemaus
| || `- Masking Typemaus
| |`- Masking TypeMike Fleming
| +* Masking TypePeter
| |`- Masking TypeRichard Robinson
| `- Masking Typemaus
`* Masking Typesoup
 +* Masking TypeKerr-Mudd, John
 |`- Masking TypeJohn Williamson
 +* Masking TypeJohn Williamson
 |`* Masking TypeThomas Prufer
 | `- Masking TypeKerr-Mudd, John
 +* Masking TypeTone
 |+* Masking TypeRichard Robinson
 ||`- Masking TypeTone
 |`- Masking TypeNick Odell
 `* Masking TypeSam Plusnet
  +* Masking TypeRichard Robinson
  |`* Masking Typesoup
  | +* Masking TypeTone
  | |+- Masking TypePeter
  | |`- Masking TypeRichard Robinson
  | `- Masking TypeRichard Robinson
  +* Masking Typesoup
  |`- Masking TypeAhem A Rivet's Shot
  `* Masking TypeRustyHinge
   `* Masking TypeChris Elvidge
    `* Masking TypeKerr-Mudd, John
     +* Masking TypePeter
     |`* Masking TypeKerr-Mudd, John
     | `- Masking TypePeter
     +- Masking TypeNick Odell
     `* Masking Typesoup
      +- Masking TypeRichard Robinson
      `- Masking Typesoup

Pages:12
Masking Type

<t371t9$5tp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9158&group=uk.rec.sheds#9158

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Masking Type
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 18:39:52 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:39 UTC

Bits of cloth on ear-strings.

So.... what about the likes of me, who have suffered respiratory
problems for two years due to long covid and are medically exempt from
wearing a mask because we can't wear one because it stiffles us?

Should we remain on constant isolation to protect everyone else?

I don't go out anywhere without doing a negative RFT first, that I now
have to pay for out of my less effective triple unlocked state pension.

Thanks Sunak you utterly self-seeking super rich uncaring bastard!

I had to go to the dentist today. I was the only one in the waiting room
there without a mask. I got fed up with explaining why. And none of them
had done RFTs that morning before going out!

We are in danger of starting a mask culture.

And what of the micro cheap cloth mask dust that you are breathing in
from chap masks that will stick in your lungs like white coal dust and
give you major breathing problems when and if you reach old age where I
am now?

Good luck maskers.

Tone

Re: Masking Type

<slrnt5e838.67d.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9165&group=uk.rec.sheds#9165

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Masking Type
Date: 13 Apr 2022 19:11:36 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 19:11 UTC

On 2022-04-13, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> Bits of cloth on ear-strings.
>
> So.... what about the likes of me, who have suffered respiratory
> problems for two years due to long covid and are medically exempt from
> wearing a mask because we can't wear one because it stiffles us?
>
> Should we remain on constant isolation to protect everyone else?
>
> I don't go out anywhere without doing a negative RFT first, that I now
> have to pay for out of my less effective triple unlocked state pension.
>
> Thanks Sunak you utterly self-seeking super rich uncaring bastard!
>
> I had to go to the dentist today. I was the only one in the waiting room
> there without a mask. I got fed up with explaining why. And none of them
> had done RFTs that morning before going out!
>
> We are in danger of starting a mask culture.

In the years when the Manchu's ruled China, the subject Chinese were
obliged to tie their hair in pigtails to show they respected their
rulers. Facemasks are the modern equivelent. I wear a facemask into
medical places, and shops.

--
greymausg@mail.com
General "Buck" Turgidson; `ten to twenty million killed, tops.'

Re: Masking Type

<t38ver$uq5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9200&group=uk.rec.sheds#9200

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:10:19 +0100
 by: soup - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:10 UTC

On 13/04/2022 18:39, Tone wrote:
> Bits of cloth on ear-strings.
>
> So.... what about the likes of me, who have suffered respiratory
> problems for two years due to long covid and are medically exempt from
> wearing a mask because we can't wear one because it stiffles us?
>
> Should we remain on constant isolation to protect everyone else?
>
> I don't go out anywhere without doing a negative RFT first, that I now
> have to pay for

I went around four or five chemists before the change from free tests to
paid ones getting a box of tests each time, and as the only time I test
is when my son has to for his work (well he calls it his work it's more
a sort of unpaid training placement)these should last me quite a while.

This was actually a fortuitous accident as I wanted ones were you only
swabbed your nose but I kept getting the "long swab" ones were you had
to do your throat as well. Kept going until I got "short swab" ones
were only the nostril was swabbed.

> Thanks Sunak you utterly self-seeking super rich uncaring bastard!
>
> I had to go to the dentist today. I was the only one in the waiting room
> there without a mask. I got fed up with explaining why. And none of them
> had done RFTs that morning before going out!
>
> We are in danger of starting a mask culture.

I have often said the same thing. I can see Britain becoming like Japan
with some people wearing a mask ten years from now and no-one
questioning it. Mind you as a grump I quite welcome this social
distancing thing I do hope that stays forever .

> And what of the micro cheap cloth mask dust that you are breathing in
> from chap masks that will stick in your lungs like white coal dust and
> give you major breathing problems when and if you reach old age where I

I'm of the masks are useless camp.

Tennis balls up The Mersey tunnel (viruses are tennis ball size whilst
the holes in most fabric masks are of Mersey tunnel size [in scale]).
So what if that then gives a scale size of the holes being twenty odd
miles long any airflow through the mask tends to mean airflow is fastest
at the centre of these holes and Bernoulli tells us that faster flowing
air is at lower pressure so that@s were the tennis balls (viruses) will
congregate and be sped through (there's a reason virologists don't rely
on filter masks).
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcA_03sWAAQ6Qy_?format=jpg&name=small

However as I feel masks are not detrimental to me (no filters and none
of these paper types) I wear them in shops etc as it negates having to
explain every two minutes why you are not wearing one.

What masks do do is
stop people sneezing and coughing on each other. Good thing
Touch there face more often . Bad thing
Lend a false sense of security to the wearer . Bad thing

Re: Masking Type

<20220414123513.9e6ec346c8c3c14f308b5d42@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9204&group=uk.rec.sheds#9204

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:35:13 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:35 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:10:19 +0100
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 13/04/2022 18:39, Tone wrote:
> > Bits of cloth on ear-strings.
> >
> > So.... what about the likes of me, who have suffered respiratory
> > problems for two years due to long covid and are medically exempt from
> > wearing a mask because we can't wear one because it stiffles us?
> >
> > Should we remain on constant isolation to protect everyone else?
> >
> > I don't go out anywhere without doing a negative RFT first, that I now
> > have to pay for
>
> I went around four or five chemists before the change from free tests to
> paid ones getting a box of tests each time, and as the only time I test
> is when my son has to for his work (well he calls it his work it's more
> a sort of unpaid training placement)these should last me quite a while.
>
> This was actually a fortuitous accident as I wanted ones were you only
> swabbed your nose but I kept getting the "long swab" ones were you had
> to do your throat as well. Kept going until I got "short swab" ones
> were only the nostril was swabbed.
>
> > Thanks Sunak you utterly self-seeking super rich uncaring bastard!
> >
> > I had to go to the dentist today. I was the only one in the waiting room
> > there without a mask. I got fed up with explaining why. And none of them
> > had done RFTs that morning before going out!
> >
> > We are in danger of starting a mask culture.
>
> I have often said the same thing. I can see Britain becoming like Japan
> with some people wearing a mask ten years from now and no-one
> questioning it. Mind you as a grump I quite welcome this social
> distancing thing I do hope that stays forever .
> >
> > And what of the micro cheap cloth mask dust that you are breathing in
> > from chap masks that will stick in your lungs like white coal dust and
> > give you major breathing problems when and if you reach old age where I
>
> I'm of the masks are useless camp.
>
> Tennis balls up The Mersey tunnel (viruses are tennis ball size whilst
> the holes in most fabric masks are of Mersey tunnel size [in scale]).
> So what if that then gives a scale size of the holes being twenty odd
> miles long any airflow through the mask tends to mean airflow is fastest
> at the centre of these holes and Bernoulli tells us that faster flowing
> air is at lower pressure so that@s were the tennis balls (viruses) will
> congregate and be sped through (there's a reason virologists don't rely
> on filter masks).
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcA_03sWAAQ6Qy_?format=jpg&name=small
>
> However as I feel masks are not detrimental to me (no filters and none
> of these paper types) I wear them in shops etc as it negates having to
> explain every two minutes why you are not wearing one.
>

> What masks do do is
> stop people sneezing and coughing on each other. Good thing
> Touch there face more often . Bad thing
> Lend a false sense of security to the wearer . Bad thing

Alert other people that there's still a pandemic about Good
recirculate any bugs in your respiratory system Bad

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Masking Type

<jbqgrhFl55qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9205&group=uk.rec.sheds#9205

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:02:55 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:02 UTC

On 14/04/2022 12:10, soup wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 18:39, Tone wrote:
>> Bits of cloth on ear-strings.
>>
>> So.... what about the likes of me, who have suffered respiratory
>> problems for two years due to long covid and are medically exempt from
>> wearing a mask because we can't wear one because it stiffles us?
>>
>> Should we remain on constant isolation to protect everyone else?
>>
>> I don't go out anywhere without doing a negative RFT first, that I now
>> have to pay for
>
> I went around four or five chemists before the change from free tests to
> paid ones getting a box of tests each time, and as the only time I test
> is when my son has to for his work (well he calls it his work it's more
> a sort of unpaid training placement)these should last me quite a while.
>
> This was actually a fortuitous accident as I wanted ones were you only
> swabbed your nose but I kept getting the "long swab" ones were you had
> to do your throat as well. Kept going until I got "short swab" ones
> were only the nostril was swabbed.
>
>> Thanks Sunak you utterly self-seeking super rich uncaring bastard!
>>
>> I had to go to the dentist today. I was the only one in the waiting
>> room there without a mask. I got fed up with explaining why. And none
>> of them had done RFTs that morning before going out!
>>
>> We are in danger of starting a mask culture.
>
> I have often said the same thing. I can see Britain becoming like Japan
> with some people wearing a mask ten years from now and no-one
> questioning it. Mind you as a grump I quite welcome this social
> distancing thing I do hope that stays forever .
>>
>> And what of the micro cheap cloth mask dust that you are breathing in
>> from chap masks that will stick in your lungs like white coal dust and
>> give you major breathing problems when and if you reach old age where I
>
> I'm of the masks are useless camp.
>
> Tennis balls up The Mersey tunnel (viruses are tennis ball size whilst
> the holes in most fabric masks are of Mersey tunnel size [in scale]).

'Snot quite that simple.

TL:DR. You wear a mask to protect others, not yourself.

The masks are to prevent *you, the wearer* spreading *your* problems
round the area, and the particles they are designed to catch are the
droplets coming out of *your* nose, which *are* large enough and sticky
enough to get caught up in the mesh. The rated effective working life of
the cheap masks is no more than 45 minutes, after which, or after
removing one that has been more briefly used, you need to replace it
with a new one, and the official rules say they should be treated as
biohazardous waste, bagged (Preferably double bagged) and sent for
incineration. The disposal rules are because when the droplets dry out,
they release their infectious load into the environment.

If the masks are not incinerated, the SARS-COV 2 virus inactivates
itself after a couple of days anyway.

The masks I and businesses buy at 50 for two quid are actually quite
good at this, reducing transmission of all droplet spread diseases
(Colds and 'flu, for example), not just COVID, by up to 90%. As a
result, I didn't have a single dose of the sniffles until people stopped
wearing them, and am now back to my normal state.

> What masks do do is
> stop people sneezing and coughing on each other. Good thing
> Touch there face more often . Bad thing
> Lend a false sense of security to the wearer . Bad thing

Yes, this.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Masking Type

<jbqh4hFl6r1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9206&group=uk.rec.sheds#9206

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:07:42 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:07 UTC

On 14/04/2022 12:35, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
<Masks>
> Alert other people that there's still a pandemic about Good
> recirculate any bugs in your respiratory system Bad

They actually catch and retain a satisfyingly high percentage of the
bugs before you can breathe them back in. You just need to obey the 45
minute maximum life rule and as soon as you take one off, dispose of it,
no matter how brief your wearing of it was.

The medical fraternity and the Japanese learned this long ago.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Masking Type

<ZJudnbW6N8zLgMX_nZ2dnUU7-f3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9211&group=uk.rec.sheds#9211

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:10:46 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:10 UTC

maus said:

> In the years when the Manchu's ruled China, the subject Chinese were
> obliged to tie their hair in pigtails to show they respected their
> rulers. Facemasks are the modern equivelent.

*Strongly disagree*

> I wear a facemask into
> medical places, and shops.

I wear a facemask when I go shopping, on the grounds of a) being uder
the impression that it reduces the chance of my infecting anyone else,
in the event that i'v become infected myself since I last tested, and b)
because the shops have notices up asking me to.

I assure you, there is absolutely no correlation between any of that
and the level of my respect for a government that has abdicated all
fucking responsibility for anybody except themselves.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Masking Type

<XnsAE7997E78B7A7Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9212&group=uk.rec.sheds#9212

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:55:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:55 UTC

Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in

> maus said:
>>
>> In the years when the Manchu's ruled China, the subject Chinese were
>> obliged to tie their hair in pigtails to show they respected their
>> rulers. Facemasks are the modern equivelent.
>
> *Strongly disagree*
>
>> I wear a facemask into
>> medical places, and shops.
>
> I wear a facemask when I go shopping, on the grounds of a) being uder
> the impression that it reduces the chance of my infecting anyone else,
> in the event that i'v become infected myself since I last tested, and b)
> because the shops have notices up asking me to.

This..

> I assure you, there is absolutely no correlation between any of that
> and the level of my respect for a government that has abdicated all
> fucking responsibility for anybody except themselves.

....and this.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Masking Type

<t39loa$e2g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9217&group=uk.rec.sheds#9217

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:30:49 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:30 UTC

On 14/04/2022 14:55, Peter wrote:
> Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> maus said:
>>>
>>> In the years when the Manchu's ruled China, the subject Chinese were
>>> obliged to tie their hair in pigtails to show they respected their
>>> rulers. Facemasks are the modern equivelent.
>>
>> *Strongly disagree*
>>
>>> I wear a facemask into
>>> medical places, and shops.
>>
>> I wear a facemask when I go shopping, on the grounds of a) being uder
>> the impression that it reduces the chance of my infecting anyone else,
>> in the event that i'v become infected myself since I last tested, and b)
>> because the shops have notices up asking me to.
>
> This..

And this

>> I assure you, there is absolutely no correlation between any of that
>> and the level of my respect for a government that has abdicated all
>> fucking responsibility for anybody except themselves.
>
> ....and this.

....and this TAAAW

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Masking Type

<t39n7v$r97$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9220&group=uk.rec.sheds#9220

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:56:15 +0100
 by: Tone - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:56 UTC

On 14/04/2022 12:10, soup wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 18:39, Tone wrote:
>> Bits of cloth on ear-strings.
>>
>> So.... what about the likes of me, who have suffered respiratory
>> problems for two years due to long covid and are medically exempt from
>> wearing a mask because we can't wear one because it stiffles us?
>>
>> Should we remain on constant isolation to protect everyone else?
>>
>> I don't go out anywhere without doing a negative RFT first, that I now
>> have to pay for
>
> I went around four or five chemists before the change from free tests to
> paid ones getting a box of tests each time, and as the only time I test
> is when my son has to for his work (well he calls it his work it's more
>  a sort of unpaid training placement)these should last me quite a while.
>
> This was actually a fortuitous accident as I wanted ones were you only
> swabbed your nose but I kept getting the "long swab" ones were you had
> to do your throat as well.  Kept going until I got "short swab" ones
> were only the nostril was swabbed.
>
>> Thanks Sunak you utterly self-seeking super rich uncaring bastard!
>>
>> I had to go to the dentist today. I was the only one in the waiting
>> room there without a mask. I got fed up with explaining why. And none
>> of them had done RFTs that morning before going out!
>>
>> We are in danger of starting a mask culture.
>
> I have often said the same thing. I can see Britain becoming like Japan
> with some people wearing a mask ten years from now and no-one
> questioning it.  Mind you as a grump I quite welcome this social
> distancing thing I do hope that stays forever .
>>
>> And what of the micro cheap cloth mask dust that you are breathing in
>> from chap masks that will stick in your lungs like white coal dust and
>> give you major breathing problems when and if you reach old age where I
>
> I'm of the masks are useless camp.
>
>  Tennis balls up The Mersey tunnel (viruses are tennis ball size whilst
> the holes in most fabric masks are of Mersey tunnel size [in scale]).
> So what if that then gives a scale size of the holes being twenty odd
> miles long any airflow through the mask tends to mean airflow is fastest
> at the centre of these holes and Bernoulli tells us that faster flowing
> air is at lower pressure so that@s were the tennis balls (viruses) will
> congregate and be sped through (there's a reason virologists don't rely
> on filter masks).
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcA_03sWAAQ6Qy_?format=jpg&name=small
>
>   However as I feel masks are not detrimental to me (no filters and none
> of these paper types) I wear them in shops etc as it negates having to
> explain every two minutes why you are not wearing one.
>

> What masks do do is
> stop people  sneezing and coughing on each other.     Good thing
> Touch there face more often .                         Bad thing
> Lend a false sense of security to the wearer   .      Bad thing

I think you could add to that non medical standard cheap mask wearing
could result in breathing in microcosmic cloth particles that could
lodge in the lungs and cause breathing problems in later life.

Tone

Re: Masking Type

<-KmdnTVxU54x-MX_nZ2dnUU7-bPNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9222&group=uk.rec.sheds#9222

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:19:24 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:19 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 14/04/2022 14:55, Peter wrote:
>> Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in

>>> *Strongly disagree*

>>> I wear a facemask when I go shopping, on the grounds of a) being uder
>>> the impression that it reduces the chance of my infecting anyone else,
>>> in the event that i'v become infected myself since I last tested, and b)

Just for the sake of completeness, I'll add :- aforesaid testing takes
place if I'm going to be spending any time in enclosed spaces with
anyone else for any longer time than shopping, library, etc.

Which, it then follows, requires me to trust those people.

Local pharmacy is selling testkits at £10 for 5.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Masking Type

<-KmdnTRxU55r-MX_nZ2dnUU7-bOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9223&group=uk.rec.sheds#9223

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:20:38 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:20 UTC

Tone said:

> I think you could add to that non medical standard cheap mask wearing
> could result in breathing in microcosmic cloth particles that could
> lodge in the lungs and cause breathing problems in later life.

'appen.

Is there any data ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Masking Type

<g5%5K.40799$4c1.28324@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9228&group=uk.rec.sheds#9228

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 21:02:20 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 20:02 UTC

On 14-Apr-22 18:30, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 14/04/2022 14:55, Peter wrote:
>> Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in

>>> *Strongly disagree*

>>> I wear a facemask when I go shopping, on the grounds of a) being uder
>>> the impression that it reduces the chance of my infecting anyone else,
>>> in the event that i'v become infected myself since I last tested, and b)
>>> because the shops have notices up asking me to.
>>
>> This..
>
> And this

+ several.

>>> I assure you, there is absolutely no correlation between any of that
>>> and the level of my respect for a government that has abdicated all
>>> fucking responsibility for anybody except themselves.
>>
>> ....and this.
>
> ...and this TAAAW

+ several more.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Masking Type

<8g%5K.22668$F4h.21507@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9230&group=uk.rec.sheds#9230

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 21:13:56 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 20:13 UTC

On 14-Apr-22 12:10, soup wrote:

> I'm of the masks are useless camp.
>
>  Tennis balls up The Mersey tunnel (viruses are tennis ball size whilst
> the holes in most fabric masks are of Mersey tunnel size [in scale]).

That would make perfect sense if virii left your face on their own.
However, they ride in moisture droplets which are much bigger and _can_
be trapped by the mask.

It's a long way from perfect, but nothing we do is ever going to be perfect.

But if it's an argument to confirm what you have already decided to do,
then that's fine.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Masking Type

<0tydnfSFd_KjH8X_nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9232&group=uk.rec.sheds#9232

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 15:21:18 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 20:21 UTC

Sam Plusnet said:
> On 14-Apr-22 12:10, soup wrote:
>>
>> I'm of the masks are useless camp.
>>
>>  Tennis balls up The Mersey tunnel (viruses are tennis ball size whilst
>> the holes in most fabric masks are of Mersey tunnel size [in scale]).
>
> That would make perfect sense if virii left your face on their own.
> However, they ride in moisture droplets which are much bigger and _can_
> be trapped by the mask.
>
> It's a long way from perfect, but nothing we do is ever going to be perfect.
>
> But if it's an argument to confirm what you have already decided to do,
> then that's fine.

Well, but this is the problem, isn't it ? It's not fine for people with
other opinions to breathe his exhalations.

"Your freedom to exhale potentially life-changing viruses ends at everyone
elses' noses"

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Masking Type

<ek1h5hlodr216qgq9g8jsnhbiodrmgumuk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9236&group=uk.rec.sheds#9236

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 21:40:19 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 20:40 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:55:58 -0000 (UTC), Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk>
wrote:

>Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> maus said:
>>>
>>> In the years when the Manchu's ruled China, the subject Chinese were
>>> obliged to tie their hair in pigtails to show they respected their
>>> rulers. Facemasks are the modern equivelent.
>>
>> *Strongly disagree*
>>
>>> I wear a facemask into
>>> medical places, and shops.
>>
>> I wear a facemask when I go shopping, on the grounds of a) being uder
>> the impression that it reduces the chance of my infecting anyone else,
>> in the event that i'v become infected myself since I last tested, and b)
>> because the shops have notices up asking me to.
>
>This..

Likewise

>> I assure you, there is absolutely no correlation between any of that
>> and the level of my respect for a government that has abdicated all
>> fucking responsibility for anybody except themselves.
>
>...and this.

and likewise again

Nick

Re: Masking Type

<134i5hlrrbbgjt5ktlug96pmnealut1286@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9246&group=uk.rec.sheds#9246

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:40:26 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 06:40 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:02:55 +0100, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>The masks are to prevent *you, the wearer* spreading *your* problems
>round the area, and the particles they are designed to catch are the
>droplets coming out of *your* nose, which *are* large enough and sticky
>enough to get caught up in the mesh.

Not only that...

A Treznal children's program showed the function of masks (home-sewn and FFP2)
mask in a Schlieren photography setup.

The mask serves as a sort of muffler or diffuser, spreading and redirecting the
jet of exhaled air.

<https://www.wdrmaus.de/filme/sachgeschichten/maske_funktion.php5#>

Narration in Treznal -- but understandable without audio. Begin at 1:00 for the
impatient.

Later on it shows and explains masks made with "melt blown fleece", FFP2 and
FFP3 -- finer pores, plus the fleece gets a static charge that tends to attract
droplets.

Thomas Prufer

Re: Masking Type

<20220415083207.38b86dacd5e1bb165203e8ea@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9248&group=uk.rec.sheds#9248

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:32:07 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 07:32 UTC

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:40:26 +0200
Thomas Prufer <prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 13:02:55 +0100, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >The masks are to prevent *you, the wearer* spreading *your* problems
> >round the area, and the particles they are designed to catch are the
> >droplets coming out of *your* nose, which *are* large enough and sticky
> >enough to get caught up in the mesh.
>
> Not only that...
>
> A Treznal children's program showed the function of masks (home-sewn and FFP2)
> mask in a Schlieren photography setup.
>
> The mask serves as a sort of muffler or diffuser, spreading and redirecting the
> jet of exhaled air.

Impressive demos in the RI Xmas lectures

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0012tzd

TL;DR microbes are tiny, droplets catchable, shouting spreads, ventilation good.,

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Masking Type

<t3bacp$ppi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9250&group=uk.rec.sheds#9250

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:29:13 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:29 UTC

On 14/04/2022 19:20, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Tone said:
>>
>> I think you could add to that non medical standard cheap mask wearing
>> could result in breathing in microcosmic cloth particles that could
>> lodge in the lungs and cause breathing problems in later life.
>
> 'appen.
>
> Is there any data ?

We haven't reached the point of 'later life' yet.

Tone

Re: Masking Type

<4vei5h5g6973j7q86o4iqf97q6npkme3r4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9261&group=uk.rec.sheds#9261

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:45:33 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:45 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:56:15 +0100, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> air is at lower pressure so that@s were the tennis balls (viruses) will
>> congregate and be sped through (there's a reason virologists don't rely
>> on filter masks).
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcA_03sWAAQ6Qy_?format=jpg&name=small
>>
>>   However as I feel masks are not detrimental to me (no filters and none
>> of these paper types) I wear them in shops etc as it negates having to
>> explain every two minutes why you are not wearing one.
>>

>> What masks do do is
>> stop people  sneezing and coughing on each other.     Good thing
>> Touch there face more often .                         Bad thing
>> Lend a false sense of security to the wearer   .      Bad thing
>>

>I think you could add to that non medical standard cheap mask wearing
>could result in breathing in microcosmic cloth particles that could
>lodge in the lungs and cause breathing problems in later life.

"Could"

It's a long time since I did my O-level biology and I've been under
the apprehension/misapprehension that lungs were self-cleaning in the
main. That which doesn't get coughed up in phlegm gets absorbed and
then disposed of in the usual ways. I believe that even tobacco tars
fade away if you don't keep adding to them. The really nasty stuff
AIUI is silica (in coal dust) and asbestos which IIRC don't go away
and then cause horrible damage. Are microplastic particles like that,
then? We didn't learn about microplastics in biology lessons in 1966.

Nick

Re: Masking Type

<jbt36pF5pahU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9271&group=uk.rec.sheds#9271

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:28:25 +0100
 by: ChrisND@privacy.net - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 11:28 UTC

On 13/04/2022 20:11, maus wrote:
> On 2022-04-13, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>> Bits of cloth on ear-strings.
>>
>> So.... what about the likes of me, who have suffered respiratory
>> problems for two years due to long covid and are medically exempt from
>> wearing a mask because we can't wear one because it stiffles us?
>>
>> Should we remain on constant isolation to protect everyone else?
>>
>> I don't go out anywhere without doing a negative RFT first, that I now
>> have to pay for out of my less effective triple unlocked state pension.
>>
>> Thanks Sunak you utterly self-seeking super rich uncaring bastard!
>>
>> I had to go to the dentist today. I was the only one in the waiting room
>> there without a mask. I got fed up with explaining why. And none of them
>> had done RFTs that morning before going out!
>>
>> We are in danger of starting a mask culture.
>
> In the years when the Manchu's ruled China, the subject Chinese were
> obliged to tie their hair in pigtails to show they respected their
> rulers. Facemasks are the modern equivelent. I wear a facemask into
> medical places, and shops.

I have my hair in a pigtail.
Is this now a legitimate alternative to a mask?

Chris

Re: Masking Type

<t3blma$eog$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9274&group=uk.rec.sheds#9274

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:42:02 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 11:42 UTC

On 15/04/2022 12:28, ChrisND@privacy.net wrote:
> I have my hair in a pigtail.
> Is this now a legitimate alternative to a mask?
>
> Chris

Onnly if you pull it so tight that you can't breath

tone

Re: Masking Type

<XnsAE7A82897A4A7Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9277&group=uk.rec.sheds#9277

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 11:49:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 11:49 UTC

"ChrisND@privacy.net" <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote in

> On 13/04/2022 20:11, maus wrote:
>> On 2022-04-13, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>> Bits of cloth on ear-strings.
>>>
>>> So.... what about the likes of me, who have suffered respiratory
>>> problems for two years due to long covid and are medically exempt
>>> from wearing a mask because we can't wear one because it stiffles
>>> us?
>>>
>>> Should we remain on constant isolation to protect everyone else?
>>>
>>> I don't go out anywhere without doing a negative RFT first, that I
>>> now have to pay for out of my less effective triple unlocked state
>>> pension.
>>>
>>> Thanks Sunak you utterly self-seeking super rich uncaring bastard!
>>>
>>> I had to go to the dentist today. I was the only one in the waiting
>>> room there without a mask. I got fed up with explaining why. And
>>> none of them had done RFTs that morning before going out!
>>>
>>> We are in danger of starting a mask culture.
>>
>> In the years when the Manchu's ruled China, the subject Chinese were
>> obliged to tie their hair in pigtails to show they respected their
>> rulers. Facemasks are the modern equivelent. I wear a facemask into
>> medical places, and shops.
>
> I have my hair in a pigtail.
> Is this now a legitimate alternative to a mask?

Yes. HTH.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Masking Type

<Uu0qDBBvBWWiFAzU@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9279&group=uk.rec.sheds#9279

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:09:19 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:09 UTC

In article <t3blma$eog$1@dont-email.me>, Tone <tone@email.com> on Fri,
15 Apr 2022 at 12:42:02 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 15/04/2022 12:28, ChrisND@privacy.net wrote:
>> I have my hair in a pigtail.
>> Is this now a legitimate alternative to a mask?
>>
>> Chris
>
>Onnly if you pull it so tight that you can't breath
>
>tone
I was led to believe that a pigtail gives a handy handle to lift you up
to heaven (or drag you down to the other place?).
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Masking Type

<FM6dneTZkfff_sT_nZ2dnUU7-aGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9281&group=uk.rec.sheds#9281

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 07:21:22 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:21 UTC

Peter said:
> "ChrisND@privacy.net" <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote in
>> On 13/04/2022 20:11, maus wrote:
>>>
>>> In the years when the Manchu's ruled China, the subject Chinese were
>>> obliged to tie their hair in pigtails to show they respected their
>>> rulers. Facemasks are the modern equivelent. I wear a facemask into
>>> medical places, and shops.
>>
>> I have my hair in a pigtail.
>> Is this now a legitimate alternative to a mask?
>
> Yes. HTH.

But only when wrapped 4 times around the lower face.