I THINK MAN INVENTED THE CAR by instinct. -- Jack Handey, The New Mexican, 1988.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: It might come in

SubjectAuthor
* It might come inwrights...@f2s.com
+* Re: It might come inTim+
|+- Re: It might come inBrian Gaff
|`* Re: It might come inponyface
| `- Re: It might come insoup
+* Re: It might come inIan Jackson
|+* Re: It might come inIan Jackson
||`* Re: It might come inTim Lamb
|| `- Re: It might come inIan Jackson
|`- Re: It might come inAlgernon Goss-Custard
+- Re: It might come injim.gm4dhj
+- Re: It might come inRDS
+- Re: It might come inBrian Gaff
+* Re: It might come inTricky Dicky
|+- Re: It might come inDavey
|`- Re: It might come inThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: It might come inAndrew
+* Re: It might come inThomas Prufer
|+* Re: It might come inTim Lamb
||+* Re: It might come inIan Jackson
|||+* Re: It might come inTim Streater
|||`* Re: It might come inRobin
||| +- Re: It might come inAndrew
||| `- Re: It might come inwrights...@f2s.com
||+* Re: It might come inThomas Prufer
|||`* Re: It might come inBob Eager
||| +* Re: It might come inS Viemeister
||| +- Re: It might come inAndrew
||| `- Re: It might come inwrights...@f2s.com
||+- Re: It might come inAndrew
||`* Re: It might come inwrights...@f2s.com
|| `- Re: It might come inRod Speed
|`* Re: It might come inAndrew
| `- Re: It might come inMax Demian
`- Re: It might come inBob Eager

Pages:123
It might come in

<6e0adc4f-c761-46d6-8952-9367da4efa8fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94706&group=uk.d-i-y#94706

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: It might come in
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 02:15 UTC

ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in

NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in

IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed

My grandson turned up with his metal detector. The shaft was broken. “Will you fix it, grandad?” Not “Can you?” but “Will you?” Subtext: if you fail grandad, you will lose a lot of credibility.

I wondered why the bottom half of the shaft was made of plastic, when steel tube would have been better. I experimented with a little piece of steel tube held above the coil assembly and soon realised that any ferrous material would affect the operation of the detector.

I remembered that in 1983 when I had been making CB radio aerials I had scrounged some plastic tubes from a friend who — let’s say — had ‘access’ to large quantities of such things. Armed with my Poundshop micrometer I investigated my large heap of plastic ducts, channel, strip, and tube. I found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut a 6" piece from the 20 foot length.

A snag arose. I realised that I couldn’t use steel bolts. Without much hope I scanned the shelves. In a dark and rarely explored corner of a shed I found some crumbling cardboard boxes. I brushed the dust off and to my delight found one box labelled “4BA x 1½" brass machine screws qty 200” and another labelled “4BA full nuts brass qty 1000”

I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went out of fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn’t. Many times I looked at it and thought, “No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN.” Thank goodness I was so prudent.

Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why did I ever think I’d need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don’t know.. I just can’t imagine. But I’m glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.

Re: It might come in

<974606773.702367724.157209.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94717&group=uk.d-i-y#94717

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: It might come in
Date: 5 Apr 2023 06:09:39 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 06:09 UTC

wrights...@f2s.com <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>
> My grandson turned up with his metal detector. The shaft was broken.
> “Will you fix it, grandad?” Not “Can you?” but “Will you?” Subtext: if
> you fail grandad, you will lose a lot of credibility.
>
> I wondered why the bottom half of the shaft was made of plastic, when
> steel tube would have been better. I experimented with a little piece of
> steel tube held above the coil assembly and soon realised that any
> ferrous material would affect the operation of the detector.
>
> I remembered that in 1983 when I had been making CB radio aerials I had
> scrounged some plastic tubes from a friend who — let’s say — had ‘access’
> to large quantities of such things. Armed with my Poundshop micrometer I
> investigated my large heap of plastic ducts, channel, strip, and tube. I
> found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat
> unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut a
> 6" piece from the 20 foot length.
>
> A snag arose. I realised that I couldn’t use steel bolts. Without much
> hope I scanned the shelves. In a dark and rarely explored corner of a
> shed I found some crumbling cardboard boxes. I brushed the dust off and
> to my delight found one box labelled “4BA x 1½" brass machine screws qty
> 200” and another labelled “4BA full nuts brass qty 1000”
>
> I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went out
> of fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn’t. Many times I looked at it and
> thought, “No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN.” Thank goodness I was so prudent.
>
> Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why
> did I ever think I’d need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don’t know. I just
> can’t imagine. But I’m glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.

Few things more satisfying that putting something that you’ve hoarded for
years to good use.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: It might come in

<W$yvCnCLGSLkFwS3@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94720&group=uk.d-i-y#94720

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:21:47 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:21 UTC

In message <6e0adc4f-c761-46d6-8952-9367da4efa8fn@googlegroups.com>,
"wrights...@f2s.com" <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> writes
>ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
>NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
>it might come in

Personably 'handy' (but sooooo true).

>IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed

>I found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat
>unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut
>a 6" piece from the 20 foot length.

But don't you realise that you might need a similar tube next week - and
you'll find that the bit you have is 6" too short?

--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: It might come in

<BPEquGDQJSLkFwyd@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94721&group=uk.d-i-y#94721

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:25:04 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:25 UTC

In message <W$yvCnCLGSLkFwS3@brattleho.plus.com>, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> writes
>In message <6e0adc4f-c761-46d6-8952-9367da4efa8fn@googlegroups.com>,
>"wrights...@f2s.com" <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> writes
>>ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>
>>NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
>>it might come in
>
>Personably 'handy' (but sooooo true).

Bloody spoil choker! 'Presumably'!!
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: It might come in

<u0j8j7$3qggv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94723&group=uk.d-i-y#94723

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:39:19 +0100
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:39 UTC

On 05/04/2023 03:15, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>
> My grandson turned up with his metal detector. The shaft was broken. “Will you fix it, grandad?” Not “Can you?” but “Will you?” Subtext: if you fail grandad, you will lose a lot of credibility.
>
> I wondered why the bottom half of the shaft was made of plastic, when steel tube would have been better. I experimented with a little piece of steel tube held above the coil assembly and soon realised that any ferrous material would affect the operation of the detector.
>
> I remembered that in 1983 when I had been making CB radio aerials I had scrounged some plastic tubes from a friend who — let’s say — had ‘access’ to large quantities of such things. Armed with my Poundshop micrometer I investigated my large heap of plastic ducts, channel, strip, and tube. I found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut a 6" piece from the 20 foot length.
>
> A snag arose. I realised that I couldn’t use steel bolts. Without much hope I scanned the shelves. In a dark and rarely explored corner of a shed I found some crumbling cardboard boxes. I brushed the dust off and to my delight found one box labelled “4BA x 1½" brass machine screws qty 200” and another labelled “4BA full nuts brass qty 1000”
>
> I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went out of fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn’t. Many times I looked at it and thought, “No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN.” Thank goodness I was so prudent.
>
> Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why did I ever think I’d need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don’t know. I just can’t imagine. But I’m glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.
I pinched a couple of phospher bronze brackets that were used to hang
cladding panels on a multi storey office block job in Glasgow I was on
in 1974.....1996 I used them to support a timber beam under a gang nail
truss attached garage roof I was builing a radio shack in

Re: It might come in

<wJ6YnRF2iSLkFwVW@invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94726&group=uk.d-i-y#94726

From: Ben...@nowhere.com (Algernon Goss-Custard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:52:22 +0100
 by: Algernon Goss-Custar - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:52 UTC

Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> posted
>In message <6e0adc4f-c761-46d6-8952-9367da4efa8fn@googlegroups.com>,
>"wrights...@f2s.com" <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> writes
>>ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>
>>NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
>>it might come in
>
>Personably 'handy' (but sooooo true).

To "come in", with the "handy" omitted, was a phrase my dad used to use.
Probably Bill's too.

>>I found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat
>>unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut
>>a 6" piece from the 20 foot length.
>
>But don't you realise that you might need a similar tube next week -
>and you'll find that the bit you have is 6" too short?

Life as an oldie is full of these dilemmas.

--
Algernon

Re: It might come in

<u0jae9$3qoot$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94727&group=uk.d-i-y#94727

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (RDS)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:10:49 +0100
 by: RDS - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:10 UTC

On 05/04/2023 03:15, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>
> My grandson turned up with his metal detector. The shaft was broken. “Will you fix it, grandad?” Not “Can you?” but “Will you?” Subtext: if you fail grandad, you will lose a lot of credibility.
>
> I wondered why the bottom half of the shaft was made of plastic, when steel tube would have been better. I experimented with a little piece of steel tube held above the coil assembly and soon realised that any ferrous material would affect the operation of the detector.
>
> I remembered that in 1983 when I had been making CB radio aerials I had scrounged some plastic tubes from a friend who — let’s say — had ‘access’ to large quantities of such things. Armed with my Poundshop micrometer I investigated my large heap of plastic ducts, channel, strip, and tube. I found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut a 6" piece from the 20 foot length.
>
> A snag arose. I realised that I couldn’t use steel bolts. Without much hope I scanned the shelves. In a dark and rarely explored corner of a shed I found some crumbling cardboard boxes. I brushed the dust off and to my delight found one box labelled “4BA x 1½" brass machine screws qty 200” and another labelled “4BA full nuts brass qty 1000”
>
> I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went out of fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn’t. Many times I looked at it and thought, “No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN.” Thank goodness I was so prudent.
>
> Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why did I ever think I’d need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don’t know. I just can’t imagine. But I’m glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.

Good lad!

Re: It might come in

<eGucBoeUeTLkFwAI@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94728&group=uk.d-i-y#94728

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:55:48 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:55 UTC

In message <BPEquGDQJSLkFwyd@brattleho.plus.com>, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> writes
>In message <W$yvCnCLGSLkFwS3@brattleho.plus.com>, Ian Jackson
><ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> writes
>>In message <6e0adc4f-c761-46d6-8952-9367da4efa8fn@googlegroups.com>,
>>"wrights...@f2s.com" <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> writes
>>>ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>>
>>>NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
>>>it might come in
>>
>>Personably 'handy' (but sooooo true).
>
>Bloody spoil choker! 'Presumably'!!

Ha! I occasionally find a use for the 4BA brass screws and nuts I
pocketed during a stock check as an apprentice more than 60 years ago.
I rather thought skip diving had been upgraded to the term *re-cycling*.
As with Bill, my stock of possible's has required ever larger storage
spaces. Sensible disposal of such items is made harder by my reluctance
to engage in local social media:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Re: It might come in

<u0jeup$3reb7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94731&group=uk.d-i-y#94731

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:27:50 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:27 UTC

Yes, but these days with the way pcbs are made, you can no longer salvage
components of the electrical kind as everything is surface mount.
Tubular bits and pieces are good though as the flimsy fan stand fell to
bits, but I had kept the caster part of an old office chair and thus used a
bit of ally tubing though join this to the fans plastic bottom and there we
have a very easy to move stand fan.

You do need to be careful not to tighten the locking screw too much as you
will either crack the plastic or deform the tube.

What is next, an ejector seat made from a few old chair gas filled height
adjusters and a parachute from an old sheet?
Maybe not.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"wrights...@f2s.com" <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote in message
[...]

delight found one box labelled "4BA x 1�" brass machine screws qty 200" and
another labelled "4BA full nuts brass qty 1000"

I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went out of
fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn't. Many times I looked at it and
thought, "No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN." Thank goodness I was so
prudent.

Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why
did I ever think I'd need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don't know. I just can't
imagine. But I'm glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.

Re: It might come in

<u0jfa7$3rg5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94732&group=uk.d-i-y#94732

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:33:55 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:33 UTC

Would not brass drive the detector the other way? I guess they are very
small, but as I recall from building a bfo based metal detector back in the
60s with some dodgy germanium transistors, the brass or steel drove the
coil oscillator different ways high or low, This was rather annoying since
you set them to zero beat, so a a pull in either direction still sounded the
same.
Brian

--

--:
"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> wrights...@f2s.com <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>> ALWAYS SCROUNGE - because whatever it is, you never know, it might come
>> in
>>
>> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY - because whatever it is, you never know, it
>> might come in
>>
>> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE - build another shed
>>
>> My grandson turned up with his metal detector. The shaft was broken.
>> "Will you fix it, grandad?" Not "Can you?" but "Will you?" Subtext: if
>> you fail grandad, you will lose a lot of credibility.
>>
>> I wondered why the bottom half of the shaft was made of plastic, when
>> steel tube would have been better. I experimented with a little piece of
>> steel tube held above the coil assembly and soon realised that any
>> ferrous material would affect the operation of the detector.
>>
>> I remembered that in 1983 when I had been making CB radio aerials I had
>> scrounged some plastic tubes from a friend who - let's say - had 'access'
>> to large quantities of such things. Armed with my Poundshop micrometer I
>> investigated my large heap of plastic ducts, channel, strip, and tube. I
>> found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat
>> unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut a
>> 6" piece from the 20 foot length.
>>
>> A snag arose. I realised that I couldn't use steel bolts. Without much
>> hope I scanned the shelves. In a dark and rarely explored corner of a
>> shed I found some crumbling cardboard boxes. I brushed the dust off and
>> to my delight found one box labelled "4BA x 1�" brass machine screws qty
>> 200" and another labelled "4BA full nuts brass qty 1000"
>>
>> I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went out
>> of fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn't. Many times I looked at it and
>> thought, "No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN." Thank goodness I was so
>> prudent.
>>
>> Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why
>> did I ever think I'd need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don't know. I just
>> can't imagine. But I'm glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT
>> COME IN.
>>

> Few things more satisfying that putting something that you've hoarded for
> years to good use.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: It might come in

<C$5qyVEn+TLkFwAz@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94735&group=uk.d-i-y#94735

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:30:15 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:30 UTC

In message <eGucBoeUeTLkFwAI@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

>Ha! I occasionally find a use for the 4BA brass screws and nuts I
>pocketed during a stock check as an apprentice more than 60 years ago.

I soon learned from one of my much older (and therefore well-trained and
experienced) works colleagues that the 'official' term for this activity
was 'Conversion to mobile stock'.

--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: It might come in

<u0jij7$3rvfk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94742&group=uk.d-i-y#94742

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:29:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:pZEVVjwmi1lC4lYR8kJbgHyrA7Q=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:29 UTC

wrights...@f2s.com <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>
> My grandson turned up with his metal detector. The shaft was broken.
> “Will you fix it, grandad?” Not “Can you?” but “Will you?” Subtext: if
> you fail grandad, you will lose a lot of credibility.
>
> I wondered why the bottom half of the shaft was made of plastic, when
> steel tube would have been better. I experimented with a little piece of
> steel tube held above the coil assembly and soon realised that any
> ferrous material would affect the operation of the detector.
>
> I remembered that in 1983 when I had been making CB radio aerials I had
> scrounged some plastic tubes from a friend who — let’s say — had ‘access’
> to large quantities of such things. Armed with my Poundshop micrometer I
> investigated my large heap of plastic ducts, channel, strip, and tube. I
> found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat
> unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut a
> 6" piece from the 20 foot length.
>
> A snag arose. I realised that I couldn’t use steel bolts. Without much
> hope I scanned the shelves. In a dark and rarely explored corner of a
> shed I found some crumbling cardboard boxes. I brushed the dust off and
> to my delight found one box labelled “4BA x 1½" brass machine screws qty
> 200” and another labelled “4BA full nuts brass qty 1000”
>
> I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went out
> of fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn’t. Many times I looked at it and
> thought, “No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN.” Thank goodness I was so prudent.
>
> Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why
> did I ever think I’d need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don’t know. I just
> can’t imagine. But I’m glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.

Of course Sod’s Law dictates the minute you throw something away you will
find something that urgently requires the exact item.

Richard

Re: It might come in

<u0jjhu$3s0nv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94744&group=uk.d-i-y#94744

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:46:22 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:46 UTC

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:29:59 -0000 (UTC)
Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:

> wrights...@f2s.com <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> > ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might
> > come in
> >
> > NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
> > it might come in
> >
> > IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
> >
> > My grandson turned up with his metal detector. The shaft was broken.
> > “Will you fix it, grandad?” Not “Can you?” but “Will you?” Subtext:
> > if you fail grandad, you will lose a lot of credibility.
> >
> > I wondered why the bottom half of the shaft was made of plastic,
> > when steel tube would have been better. I experimented with a
> > little piece of steel tube held above the coil assembly and soon
> > realised that any ferrous material would affect the operation of
> > the detector.
> >
> > I remembered that in 1983 when I had been making CB radio aerials I
> > had scrounged some plastic tubes from a friend who — let’s say —
> > had ‘access’ to large quantities of such things. Armed with my
> > Poundshop micrometer I investigated my large heap of plastic ducts,
> > channel, strip, and tube. I found a tube that had the exact inside
> > diameter I needed. It had sat unloved, but waiting for its moment
> > of stardom, for forty years. I cut a 6" piece from the 20 foot
> > length.
> >
> > A snag arose. I realised that I couldn’t use steel bolts. Without
> > much hope I scanned the shelves. In a dark and rarely explored
> > corner of a shed I found some crumbling cardboard boxes. I brushed
> > the dust off and to my delight found one box labelled “4BA x 1½"
> > brass machine screws qty 200” and another labelled “4BA full nuts
> > brass qty 1000”
> >
> > I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went
> > out of fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn’t. Many times I looked
> > at it and thought, “No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN.” Thank
> > goodness I was so prudent.
> >
> > Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and
> > nuts? Why did I ever think I’d need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don’t
> > know. I just can’t imagine. But I’m glad I have them. One day the
> > remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.
>
> Of course Sod’s Law dictates the minute you throw something away you
> will find something that urgently requires the exact item.
>
> Richard

One of our neighbours was a self-made rich man. He had started with a
greengrocer's, made a success of that, and then gradually bought up a
block in East London, renting out the flats above the commercial
premises. And he was not a slum landlord.
He bought a closing-down three-property-wide electrical shop on the
Essex Road, complete with knowledgeable manager, and again made a
success of it. One day, he and the manager decided to do some clearing
out, and threw out a dusty glass jar full of "Cats' whisker's" as used
in old crystal wireless sets. None had been sold for years.
Then a craze started for building the crystal sets again, and they had lots of
requests for the now-missing Cats' Whiskers.
If only they had known.......

--
Davey.

Re: It might come in

<u0jko5$3s8q5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94745&group=uk.d-i-y#94745

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:06:45 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:06 UTC

On 05/04/2023 11:29, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> wrights...@f2s.com <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>
>> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>
>> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>>
>> My grandson turned up with his metal detector. The shaft was broken.
>> “Will you fix it, grandad?” Not “Can you?” but “Will you?” Subtext: if
>> you fail grandad, you will lose a lot of credibility.
>>
>> I wondered why the bottom half of the shaft was made of plastic, when
>> steel tube would have been better. I experimented with a little piece of
>> steel tube held above the coil assembly and soon realised that any
>> ferrous material would affect the operation of the detector.
>>
>> I remembered that in 1983 when I had been making CB radio aerials I had
>> scrounged some plastic tubes from a friend who — let’s say — had ‘access’
>> to large quantities of such things. Armed with my Poundshop micrometer I
>> investigated my large heap of plastic ducts, channel, strip, and tube. I
>> found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat
>> unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut a
>> 6" piece from the 20 foot length.
>>
>> A snag arose. I realised that I couldn’t use steel bolts. Without much
>> hope I scanned the shelves. In a dark and rarely explored corner of a
>> shed I found some crumbling cardboard boxes. I brushed the dust off and
>> to my delight found one box labelled “4BA x 1½" brass machine screws qty
>> 200” and another labelled “4BA full nuts brass qty 1000”
>>
>> I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went out
>> of fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn’t. Many times I looked at it and
>> thought, “No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN.” Thank goodness I was so prudent.
>>
>> Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why
>> did I ever think I’d need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don’t know. I just
>> can’t imagine. But I’m glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.
>>

> Of course Sod’s Law dictates the minute you throw something away you will
> find something that urgently requires the exact item.
>
> Richard

TBH, I now look critically at the cost of storage, time to actually find
the requisite pingfuckit, in the amassed storage units, and Amazon next
day delivery, and make a balanced decision.

Sometimes its easier to just order new off amazon or better still ebay.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.

Re: It might come in

<u0k0qn$3u1em$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94788&group=uk.d-i-y#94788

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 15:32:54 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:32 UTC

On 05/04/2023 03:15, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:

> Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why did I ever think I’d need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don’t know. I just can’t imagine. But I’m glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.

They might be worth more as metal scrap than what you paid for
them way back then :-)

Re: It might come in

<qd223id8mng5m3k7c1bbqa1ovl92sb972k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94966&group=uk.d-i-y#94966

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 08:31:49 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 06:31 UTC

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
<wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:

>ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
>NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>
>IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed

.... or pack the existing stuff tighter.

Going through the stuff to find a spot for that newly scrounged bit also keeps
the mental index of where which bits are current! No use in having the stuff and
not being able to find it, at least eventually.

Thomas Prufer

Re: It might come in

<iLqDCJtYaSMkFwvM@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94981&group=uk.d-i-y#94981

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 09:32:24 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 08:32 UTC

In message <qd223id8mng5m3k7c1bbqa1ovl92sb972k@4ax.com>, Thomas Prufer
<prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes
>On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
><wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>
>>ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>
>>NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
>>it might come in
>>
>>IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>
>... or pack the existing stuff tighter.
>
>Going through the stuff to find a spot for that newly scrounged bit also keeps
>the mental index of where which bits are current! No use in having the
>stuff and
>not being able to find it, at least eventually.
My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area for
example.
Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: It might come in

<VvGvGeGGLTMkFwaw@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94988&group=uk.d-i-y#94988

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 10:24:22 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 09:24 UTC

In message <iLqDCJtYaSMkFwvM@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>In message <qd223id8mng5m3k7c1bbqa1ovl92sb972k@4ax.com>, Thomas Prufer
><prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes
>>On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
>><wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>>
>>>ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>>
>>>NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
>>>it might come in
>>>
>>>IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>>
>>... or pack the existing stuff tighter.
>>
>>Going through the stuff to find a spot for that newly scrounged bit also keeps
>>the mental index of where which bits are current! No use in having the
>>stuff and
>>not being able to find it, at least eventually.
>My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
>categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area for
>example.
>Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
>purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.

I've just realised there is a fourth golden rule that could apply:
NEVER TURN DOWN A KIND OFFER - even if you cannot, in your wildest
imagination, think of anything that what you're being offered could
possibly ever be of any use to you.
[In a different (romantic) context, one of my works colleague's passed
on the tip: "Never turn a kind offer, and after an evening out with a
lady, you'll won't go home without a smile on your face.]
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: It might come in

<k9csjhFns38U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94989&group=uk.d-i-y#94989

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2023 10:05:37 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 10:05 UTC

On 08 Apr 2023 at 10:24:22 BST, "Ian Jackson"
<ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <iLqDCJtYaSMkFwvM@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>> In message <qd223id8mng5m3k7c1bbqa1ovl92sb972k@4ax.com>, Thomas Prufer
>> <prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes

>>> ... or pack the existing stuff tighter.
>>>
>>> Going through the stuff to find a spot for that newly scrounged bit also keeps
>>> the mental index of where which bits are current! No use in having the
>>> stuff and
>>> not being able to find it, at least eventually.
>> My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
>> categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area for
>> example.
>> Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
>> purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.
>>
> I've just realised there is a fourth golden rule that could apply:
> NEVER TURN DOWN A KIND OFFER - even if you cannot, in your wildest

Except it's often NOT a "kind offer", merely you're being used as a convenient
rubbish dump.

--
"... you must remember that if you're trying to propagate a creed of poverty, gentleness and tolerance, you need a very rich, powerful, authoritarian organisation to do it." - Vice-Pope Eric

Re: It might come in

<66bd1fc6-6af2-69c4-a1b9-766975c43c78@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94990&group=uk.d-i-y#94990

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 11:12:18 +0100
 by: Robin - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 10:12 UTC

On 08/04/2023 10:24, Ian Jackson wrote:
> In message <iLqDCJtYaSMkFwvM@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>> In message <qd223id8mng5m3k7c1bbqa1ovl92sb972k@4ax.com>, Thomas Prufer
>> <prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes

>>> ... or pack the existing stuff tighter.
>>>
>>> Going through the stuff to find a spot for that newly scrounged bit
>>> also keeps
>>> the mental index of where which bits are current! No use in having
>>> the stuff and
>>> not being able to find it, at least eventually.
>> My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
>> categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area for
>> example.
>> Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
>> purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.
>>
> I've just realised there is a fourth golden rule that could apply:
> NEVER TURN DOWN A KIND OFFER - even if you cannot, in your wildest
> imagination, think of anything that what you're being offered could
> possibly ever be of any use to you.
> [In a different (romantic) context, one of my works colleague's passed
> on the tip: "Never turn a kind offer, and after an evening out with a
> lady, you'll won't go home without a smile on your face.]

seems to me a rule where you end up well and truly buggered

--
Robin

Re: It might come in

<vro23ipukt9ubnmcf8n9bgla69sh9v4mk6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94999&group=uk.d-i-y#94999

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 14:53:28 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 12:53 UTC

On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 09:32:24 +0100, Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
>categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area for
>example.
>Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
>purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.

And never re-file an item that has been mis-filed to the place it "should" be,
at least not if it's been in it's accustomed place for a while.

Thomas Prufer

Re: It might come in

<k9d7jjFhva7U23@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95001&group=uk.d-i-y#95001

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2023 13:13:23 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 13:13 UTC

On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 14:53:28 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 09:32:24 +0100, Tim Lamb
> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
>>categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area for
>>example.
>>Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
>>purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.
>
> And never re-file an item that has been mis-filed to the place it
> "should"
> be, at least not if it's been in it's accustomed place for a while.

The rule is to think about where you'd expect to find it. Then put it
there.

Re: It might come in

<k9d7p3Fhva7U24@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95003&group=uk.d-i-y#95003

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2023 13:16:19 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 13:16 UTC

On Tue, 04 Apr 2023 19:15:04 -0700, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:

> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come
> in
>
> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it
> might come in
>
> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed

My system is a bit like Amazon S3 - which I use for files.

S3 - in the house.

S3 Glacier - in my big shed.

Deep Archive - the storage unit ten miles away.

Things migrate out, or get deleted/thrown away at all stages - but mainly
from the storage unit.

Re: It might come in

<k9d8b6FpkcqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95004&group=uk.d-i-y#95004

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 14:25:58 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 13:25 UTC

On 08/04/2023 14:13, Bob Eager wrote:

> The rule is to think about where you'd expect to find it. Then put it
> there.

I share a workspace with someone who puts things wherever they can fit,
then puts other unrelated stuff, in front of or on top of the original
items.
Drives me nuts.

Re: It might come in

<k9d9qfFpsk1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95006&group=uk.d-i-y#95006

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2023 13:51:11 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 13:51 UTC

On 08 Apr 2023 at 14:25:58 BST, "S Viemeister" <firstname@lastname.oc.ku>
wrote:

> On 08/04/2023 14:13, Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> The rule is to think about where you'd expect to find it. Then put it
>> there.
>>
> I share a workspace with someone who puts things wherever they can fit,
> then puts other unrelated stuff, in front of or on top of the original
> items.
> Drives me nuts.

I had a colleague like that once, sharing an office. He had two piles of
papers, one either side of the workstation, plus two more on those pullout
shelves just above each drawer stack either side of his chair. The trouble
with people like that, as was the case here, is that they can nonetheless put
their finger on any document in any stack at any time as requested to him by
anyone. With a short and constant retrieval time.

Any attempt to complain about this was met with "What's the problem?"

We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large shelf
unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding sets of docs
for the two previous versions of VMS at home, in his garage. Drove his wife
nuts.

--
"Freedom is sloppy. But since tyranny's the only guaranteed byproduct of those who insist on a perfect world, freedom will have to do." -- Bigby Wolf

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: It might come in