A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. -- Carl Sandburg

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: It might come in

SubjectAuthor
* It might come inwrights...@f2s.com
+* Re: It might come inTim+
|+- Re: It might come inBrian Gaff
|`* Re: It might come inponyface
| `- Re: It might come insoup
+* Re: It might come inIan Jackson
|+* Re: It might come inIan Jackson
||`* Re: It might come inTim Lamb
|| `- Re: It might come inIan Jackson
|`- Re: It might come inAlgernon Goss-Custard
+- Re: It might come injim.gm4dhj
+- Re: It might come inRDS
+- Re: It might come inBrian Gaff
+* Re: It might come inTricky Dicky
|+- Re: It might come inDavey
|`- Re: It might come inThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: It might come inAndrew
+* Re: It might come inThomas Prufer
|+* Re: It might come inTim Lamb
||+* Re: It might come inIan Jackson
|||+* Re: It might come inTim Streater
|||`* Re: It might come inRobin
||| +- Re: It might come inAndrew
||| `- Re: It might come inwrights...@f2s.com
||+* Re: It might come inThomas Prufer
|||`* Re: It might come inBob Eager
||| +* Re: It might come inS Viemeister
||| +- Re: It might come inAndrew
||| `- Re: It might come inwrights...@f2s.com
||+- Re: It might come inAndrew
||`* Re: It might come inwrights...@f2s.com
|| `- Re: It might come inRod Speed
|`* Re: It might come inAndrew
| `- Re: It might come inMax Demian
`- Re: It might come inBob Eager

Pages:123
Re: It might come in

<k9dboiFq6j2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95009&group=uk.d-i-y#95009

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: It might come in
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:24:17 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 14:24 UTC

On 08/04/2023 14:51, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 08 Apr 2023 at 14:25:58 BST,<firstname@lastname.oc.ku
>> On 08/04/2023 14:13, Bob Eager wrote:
>>> The rule is to think about where you'd expect to find it. Then put it
>>> there.
>> I share a workspace with someone who puts things wherever they can fit,
>> then puts other unrelated stuff, in front of or on top of the original
>> items.
>> Drives me nuts.
>
> I had a colleague like that once, sharing an office. He had two piles of
> papers, one either side of the workstation, plus two more on those pullout
> shelves just above each drawer stack either side of his chair. The trouble
> with people like that, as was the case here, is that they can nonetheless put
> their finger on any document in any stack at any time as requested to him by
> anyone. With a short and constant retrieval time.

I wish.
He has been known to ask ME to find stuff he has stashed where it was
convenient at the time.

Re: It might come in

<1598624029.702656850.695675.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95010&group=uk.d-i-y#95010

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2023 14:29:37 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 14:29 UTC

Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
> On 08 Apr 2023 at 10:24:22 BST, "Ian Jackson"
> <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:

>> I've just realised there is a fourth golden rule that could apply:
>> NEVER TURN DOWN A KIND OFFER - even if you cannot, in your wildest
>
> Except it's often NOT a "kind offer", merely you're being used as a convenient
> rubbish dump.

I found an “offer” of a garden tree for firewood 40 miles away resistable.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: It might come in

<u0ru1m$19p8m$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95011&group=uk.d-i-y#95011

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:34:29 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 14:34 UTC

On 08/04/2023 14:51, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 08 Apr 2023 at 14:25:58 BST, "S Viemeister" <firstname@lastname.oc.ku>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2023 14:13, Bob Eager wrote:
>>
>>> The rule is to think about where you'd expect to find it. Then put it
>>> there.
>>>
>> I share a workspace with someone who puts things wherever they can fit,
>> then puts other unrelated stuff, in front of or on top of the original
>> items.
>> Drives me nuts.
>
> I had a colleague like that once, sharing an office. He had two piles of
> papers, one either side of the workstation, plus two more on those pullout
> shelves just above each drawer stack either side of his chair. The trouble
> with people like that, as was the case here, is that they can nonetheless put
> their finger on any document in any stack at any time as requested to him by
> anyone. With a short and constant retrieval time.
>
> Any attempt to complain about this was met with "What's the problem?"
>
> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large shelf
> unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding sets of docs
> for the two previous versions of VMS at home, in his garage. Drove his wife
> nuts.

The famed "orange wall" :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: It might come in

<k9dls5Frm65U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95014&group=uk.d-i-y#95014

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2023 17:16:53 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:16 UTC

On 08 Apr 2023 at 15:34:29 BST, "John Rumm" <see.my.signature@nowhere.null>
wrote:

> On 08/04/2023 14:51, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 08 Apr 2023 at 14:25:58 BST, "S Viemeister" <firstname@lastname.oc.ku>
>> wrote:

>>> I share a workspace with someone who puts things wherever they can fit,
>>> then puts other unrelated stuff, in front of or on top of the original
>>> items.
>>> Drives me nuts.
>>
>> I had a colleague like that once, sharing an office. He had two piles of
>> papers, one either side of the workstation, plus two more on those pullout
>> shelves just above each drawer stack either side of his chair. The trouble
>> with people like that, as was the case here, is that they can nonetheless put
>> their finger on any document in any stack at any time as requested to him by
>> anyone. With a short and constant retrieval time.
>>
>> Any attempt to complain about this was met with "What's the problem?"
>>
>> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large shelf
>> unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding sets of docs
>> for the two previous versions of VMS at home, in his garage. Drove his wife
>> nuts.
>
> The famed "orange wall" :-)

Orange, blue, grey - we had 'em all.

--
Bessie Braddock: "Winston, you are drunk!"
Churchill: "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."

Re: It might come in

<u0s8jb$1bbhn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95017&group=uk.d-i-y#95017

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:34:35 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:34 UTC

On 08/04/2023 07:31, Thomas Prufer wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
> <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>
>> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>
>> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>
>> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>
> ... or pack the existing stuff tighter.

Like Sainsburys mince meat :-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124883

> Going through the stuff to find a spot for that newly scrounged bit also keeps
> the mental index of where which bits are current! No use in having the stuff and
> not being able to find it, at least eventually.
>
> Thomas Prufer

Re: It might come in

<u0s8mc$1bbhn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95018&group=uk.d-i-y#95018

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:36:11 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:36 UTC

On 08/04/2023 09:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <qd223id8mng5m3k7c1bbqa1ovl92sb972k@4ax.com>, Thomas Prufer
> <prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes
>> On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
>> <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might
>>> come in
>>>
>>> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
>>> it might come in
>>>
>>> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>>
>> ... or pack the existing stuff tighter.
>>
>> Going through the stuff to find a spot for that newly scrounged bit
>> also keeps
>> the mental index of where which bits are current! No use in having the
>> stuff and
>> not being able to find it, at least eventually.
> My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
> categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area for
> example.
> Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
> purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.

I have searched high and low for something that I knew that
I had kept, then ended up buying a replacement and then
finding what I was looking for some time later (in a place
that was so obvious I could not see it).

Re: It might come in

<u0s8pf$1bbhn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95019&group=uk.d-i-y#95019

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:37:50 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:37 UTC

On 08/04/2023 11:12, Robin wrote:
> On 08/04/2023 10:24, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> In message <iLqDCJtYaSMkFwvM@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
>> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>> In message <qd223id8mng5m3k7c1bbqa1ovl92sb972k@4ax.com>, Thomas
>>> Prufer <prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes

>>> My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
>>> categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area
>>> for example.
>>> Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
>>> purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.
>>>
>> I've just realised there is a fourth golden rule that could apply:
>> NEVER TURN DOWN A KIND OFFER - even if you cannot, in your wildest
>> imagination, think of anything that what you're being offered could
>> possibly ever be of any use to you.
>> [In a different (romantic) context, one of my works colleague's passed
>> on the tip: "Never turn a kind offer, and after an evening out with a
>> lady, you'll won't go home without a smile on your face.]
>
> seems to me a rule where you end up well and truly buggered

Especially if the lady was actually a lady-boy :-)

Re: It might come in

<u0s8s7$1bbhn$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95020&group=uk.d-i-y#95020

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:39:19 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:39 UTC

On 08/04/2023 14:13, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 14:53:28 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 09:32:24 +0100, Tim Lamb
>> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
>>> categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area for
>>> example.
>>> Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
>>> purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.
>>
>> And never re-file an item that has been mis-filed to the place it
>> "should"
>> be, at least not if it's been in it's accustomed place for a while.
>
> The rule is to think about where you'd expect to find it. Then put it
> there.

And do NOT answer the phone or the doorbell while in the
process of 'filing' said object, because it is sure to end
up somewhere obscure and lost for a long time (while you
are distracted)

Re: It might come in

<u0s8vt$1bfk9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95021&group=uk.d-i-y#95021

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:41:16 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:41 UTC

On 08/04/2023 14:51, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 08 Apr 2023 at 14:25:58 BST, "S Viemeister" <firstname@lastname.oc.ku>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2023 14:13, Bob Eager wrote:
>>
>>> The rule is to think about where you'd expect to find it. Then put it
>>> there.
>>>
>> I share a workspace with someone who puts things wherever they can fit,
>> then puts other unrelated stuff, in front of or on top of the original
>> items.
>> Drives me nuts.
>
> I had a colleague like that once, sharing an office. He had two piles of
> papers, one either side of the workstation, plus two more on those pullout
> shelves just above each drawer stack either side of his chair. The trouble
> with people like that, as was the case here, is that they can nonetheless put
> their finger on any document in any stack at any time as requested to him by
> anyone. With a short and constant retrieval time.
>
> Any attempt to complain about this was met with "What's the problem?"
>
> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large shelf
> unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding sets of docs
> for the two previous versions of VMS at home, in his garage. Drove his wife
> nuts.

They were of course easily downloadable in PDF format on the
HP website for quite a few years.

Re: It might come in

<u0s94t$1bfk9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95022&group=uk.d-i-y#95022

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:43:57 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:43 UTC

On 08/04/2023 15:34, John Rumm wrote:
> On 08/04/2023 14:51, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 08 Apr 2023 at 14:25:58 BST, "S Viemeister" <firstname@lastname.oc.ku>
>> wrote:

>>> I share a workspace with someone who puts things wherever they can fit,
>>> then puts other unrelated stuff, in front of or on top of the original
>>> items.
>>> Drives me nuts.
>>
>> I had a colleague like that once, sharing an office. He had two piles of
>> papers, one either side of the workstation, plus two more on those
>> pullout
>> shelves just above each drawer stack either side of his chair. The
>> trouble
>> with people like that, as was the case here, is that they can
>> nonetheless put
>> their finger on any document in any stack at any time as requested to
>> him by
>> anyone. With a short and constant retrieval time.
>>
>> Any attempt to complain about this was met with "What's the problem?"
>>
>> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large
>> shelf
>> unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding sets
>> of docs
>> for the two previous versions of VMS at home, in his garage. Drove his
>> wife
>> nuts.
>
> The famed "orange wall" :-)

Turned Grey in later years. I was with Cable & Wireless for
years and a new 'secretary/PA' arrived at one point and
decided that they were too 'unsightly', so the whole lot went
in a skip. Must have been about half a tonne or more of
very expensive documentation.

Re: It might come in

<k9dnj6Fhva7U25@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95023&group=uk.d-i-y#95023

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2023 17:46:14 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:46 UTC

On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 18:41:16 +0100, Andrew wrote:

> On 08/04/2023 14:51, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 08 Apr 2023 at 14:25:58 BST, "S Viemeister"
>> <firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>>> I share a workspace with someone who puts things wherever they can
>>> fit,
>>> then puts other unrelated stuff, in front of or on top of the original
>>> items.
>>> Drives me nuts.
>>
>> I had a colleague like that once, sharing an office. He had two piles
>> of papers, one either side of the workstation, plus two more on those
>> pullout shelves just above each drawer stack either side of his chair.
>> The trouble with people like that, as was the case here, is that they
>> can nonetheless put their finger on any document in any stack at any
>> time as requested to him by anyone. With a short and constant retrieval
>> time.
>>
>> Any attempt to complain about this was met with "What's the problem?"
>>
>> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large
>> shelf unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding
>> sets of docs for the two previous versions of VMS at home, in his
>> garage. Drove his wife nuts.
>>

> They were of course easily downloadable in PDF format on the HP website
> for quite a few years.

Yup. I have them all for 7.3.

Re: It might come in

<u0s9vp$1bj6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95024&group=uk.d-i-y#95024

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:58:18 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:58 UTC

On 08/04/2023 18:34, Andrew wrote:
> On 08/04/2023 07:31, Thomas Prufer wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
>> <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might
>>> come in
>>>
>>> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
>>> it might come in
>>>
>>> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>>
>> ... or pack the existing stuff tighter.
>>

> Like Sainsburys mince meat :-)
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124883

That looks horrible. Better to use an opaque package with an appetising
picture on the front.

--
Max Demian

Re: It might come in

<k9ds94FslgoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95026&group=uk.d-i-y#95026

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2023 19:06:12 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 19:06 UTC

On 08 Apr 2023 at 18:41:16 BST, "Andrew" <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 08/04/2023 14:51, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 08 Apr 2023 at 14:25:58 BST, "S Viemeister" <firstname@lastname.oc.ku>
>> wrote:

>>> I share a workspace with someone who puts things wherever they can fit,
>>> then puts other unrelated stuff, in front of or on top of the original
>>> items.
>>> Drives me nuts.
>>
>> I had a colleague like that once, sharing an office. He had two piles of
>> papers, one either side of the workstation, plus two more on those pullout
>> shelves just above each drawer stack either side of his chair. The trouble
>> with people like that, as was the case here, is that they can nonetheless put
>> their finger on any document in any stack at any time as requested to him by
>> anyone. With a short and constant retrieval time.
>>
>> Any attempt to complain about this was met with "What's the problem?"
>>
>> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large shelf
>> unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding sets of docs
>> for the two previous versions of VMS at home, in his garage. Drove his wife
>> nuts.
>
> They were of course easily downloadable in PDF format on the
> HP website for quite a few years.

Not in 1986. We had the VMS source on microfiche, mind you.

--
Lady Astor: "If you were my husband I'd give you poison."
Churchill: "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

Re: It might come in

<IqudnXlfXf93fq_5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95055&group=uk.d-i-y#95055

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:12:50 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: dennis.g...@gmail.com (ponyface)
 by: ponyface - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 16:12 UTC

On 05/04/2023 07:09, Tim+ wrote:
> wrights...@f2s.com <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>> ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>
>> NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
>>
>> IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
>>
>> My grandson turned up with his metal detector. The shaft was broken.
>> “Will you fix it, grandad?” Not “Can you?” but “Will you?” Subtext: if
>> you fail grandad, you will lose a lot of credibility.
>>
>> I wondered why the bottom half of the shaft was made of plastic, when
>> steel tube would have been better. I experimented with a little piece of
>> steel tube held above the coil assembly and soon realised that any
>> ferrous material would affect the operation of the detector.
>>
>> I remembered that in 1983 when I had been making CB radio aerials I had
>> scrounged some plastic tubes from a friend who — let’s say — had ‘access’
>> to large quantities of such things. Armed with my Poundshop micrometer I
>> investigated my large heap of plastic ducts, channel, strip, and tube. I
>> found a tube that had the exact inside diameter I needed. It had sat
>> unloved, but waiting for its moment of stardom, for forty years. I cut a
>> 6" piece from the 20 foot length.
>>
>> A snag arose. I realised that I couldn’t use steel bolts. Without much
>> hope I scanned the shelves. In a dark and rarely explored corner of a
>> shed I found some crumbling cardboard boxes. I brushed the dust off and
>> to my delight found one box labelled “4BA x 1½" brass machine screws qty
>> 200” and another labelled “4BA full nuts brass qty 1000”
>>
>> I could have thrown out that plastic tube at any time since CB went out
>> of fashion in the mid-1980s, but I didn’t. Many times I looked at it and
>> thought, “No, hang on to it. IT MIGHT COME IN.” Thank goodness I was so prudent.
>>
>> Why I am the owner of several boxes of brass machine screws and nuts? Why
>> did I ever think I’d need 1,000 brass 4BA nuts? I don’t know. I just
>> can’t imagine. But I’m glad I have them. One day the remaining 994 MIGHT COME IN.
>>

> Few things more satisfying that putting something that you’ve hoarded for
> years to good use.
>
> Tim

like a wife ????

Re: It might come in

<k9gaekF9i38U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95060&group=uk.d-i-y#95060

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 18:20:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:20 UTC

Tim Streater wrote:

> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large shelf
> unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding sets of docs
> for the two previous versions of VMS at home

I've got a "grey wall", and large parts of an "orange wall" in boxes in
the loft.

Re: It might come in

<u1174f$276n2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95114&group=uk.d-i-y#95114

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:40:14 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 14:40 UTC

On 09/04/2023 18:20, Andy Burns wrote:
> Tim Streater wrote:
>
>> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large
>> shelf
>> unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding sets
>> of docs
>> for the two previous versions of VMS at home
>
> I've got a "grey wall", and large parts of an "orange wall" in boxes in
> the loft.

Have you got a Vax to go with them though?

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: It might come in

<k9io3pFl2lpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95118&group=uk.d-i-y#95118

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:25:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:25 UTC

John Rumm wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I've got a "grey wall", and large parts of an "orange wall" in boxes
>> in the loft.
>
> Have you got a Vax to go with them though?

Yes a VAXserver 3300, it boots to the console prompt and sees all the
QBUS cards and DSSI disks, but after booting VMS from TK70 it no longer
sees the disks, so can't install. Also the hobbyist licenses are no
longer available.

I occasionally wonder whether it would be sacrilege to gut the BA215 box
and re-purpose it to hold modern mobo/discs?

Re: It might come in

<u11f0g$28afo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95123&group=uk.d-i-y#95123

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 17:54:40 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:54 UTC

On 10/04/2023 15:40, John Rumm wrote:
> On 09/04/2023 18:20, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Tim Streater wrote:
>>
>>> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large
>>> shelf
>>> unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding sets
>>> of docs
>>> for the two previous versions of VMS at home
>>
>> I've got a "grey wall", and large parts of an "orange wall" in boxes
>> in the loft.
>
> Have you got a Vax to go with them though?

Plenty of orange and grey Vaxes around.... try Been and Queued!

https://www.diy.com/departments/vax-6131t-corded-wet-dry-vacuum/1135523_BQ.prd

Re: It might come in

<k9ivpvFjrrsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95124&group=uk.d-i-y#95124

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 Apr 2023 17:37:03 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 17:37 UTC

On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:40:14 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

> On 09/04/2023 18:20, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Tim Streater wrote:
>>
>>> We had a complete set of DEC VAX/VMS documentation occupying a large
>>> shelf unit in the iffice too. And, en plus, he kept the corresponding
>>> sets of docs for the two previous versions of VMS at home
>>
>> I've got a "grey wall", and large parts of an "orange wall" in boxes in
>> the loft.
>
> Have you got a Vax to go with them though?

I have three VAXes, but no grey or orange wall. But I do have a very large
collection of PDFs...

Re: It might come in

<k9ivr2FjrrsU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95125&group=uk.d-i-y#95125

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 Apr 2023 17:37:38 GMT

On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:25:44 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> Yes a VAXserver 3300, it boots to the console prompt and sees all the
> QBUS cards and DSSI disks, but after booting VMS from TK70 it no longer
> sees the disks, so can't install. Also the hobbyist licenses are no
> longer available.

The last bit is easily fixable.

Re: It might come in

<k9j2uuFmnb5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95128&group=uk.d-i-y#95128

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 19:30:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 18:30 UTC

Bob Eager wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Yes a VAXserver 3300, it boots to the console prompt and sees all the
>> QBUS cards and DSSI disks, but after booting VMS from TK70 it no longer
>> sees the disks, so can't install. Also the hobbyist licenses are no
>> longer available.
>
> The last bit is easily fixable.

Well, I've heard of ways and means, and I do have the PAKs that were for
its original owners, and others from uVAX 3100s but I doubt the number
of "units" would match from those.

But the disappearing disks were the real problem, I tried v5.5 and v6.0,
the uVAXen that I used to maintain were all SCSI so I don't really know
anything about DSSI.

I don't suppose sitting around for 20+ years improves the power supply
components either.

Re: It might come in

<u11kpa$28gno$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95129&group=uk.d-i-y#95129

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 19:33:14 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 18:33 UTC

On 10/04/2023 19:30, Andy Burns wrote:
> Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> Yes a VAXserver 3300, it boots to the console prompt and sees all the
>>> QBUS cards and DSSI disks, but after booting VMS from TK70 it no longer
>>> sees the disks, so can't install.  Also the hobbyist licenses are no
>>> longer available.
>>
>> The last bit is easily fixable.
>
> Well, I've heard of ways and means, and I do have the PAKs that were for
> its original owners, and others from uVAX 3100s but I doubt the number
> of "units" would match from those.
>
> But the disappearing disks were the real problem, I tried v5.5 and v6.0,
> the uVAXen that I used to maintain were all SCSI so I don't really know
> anything about DSSI.
>
> I don't suppose sitting around for 20+ years improves the power supply
> components either.

Pretty sure there's a lot of pre loved VAX kit out there for sale...

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.

Re: It might come in

<k9j4h1Fmuh4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95131&group=uk.d-i-y#95131

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 19:57:37 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 18:57 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Pretty sure there's a lot of pre loved VAX kit out there for sale...
I'm not desperate to acquire more kit, I just have a bit of a soft spot
for what I've already got, I could put SIMH on an rPi, hide it inside
the VAXserver it'd probably beat the original performance ...

Re: It might come in

<b49f82c4-3000-4735-a004-6cc8f16f122an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95166&group=uk.d-i-y#95166

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 04:22:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:22 UTC

On Saturday, 8 April 2023 at 09:48:16 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <qd223id8mng5m3k7c...@4ax.com>, Thomas Prufer
> <prufer...@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes
> >On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT), "wrights...@f2s.com"
> ><wrights...@f2s.com> wrote:
> >
> >>ALWAYS SCROUNGE — because whatever it is, you never know, it might come in
> >>
> >>NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY — because whatever it is, you never know,
> >>it might come in
> >>
> >>IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE — build another shed
> >
> >... or pack the existing stuff tighter.
> >
> >Going through the stuff to find a spot for that newly scrounged bit also keeps
> >the mental index of where which bits are current! No use in having the
> >stuff and
> >not being able to find it, at least eventually.
> My *system* has a vague background concept of possible use
> categorisation. Tools and left over building bits in one pile/area for
> example.
> Problems arise when the scavenged item fits more than one potential
> purpose and falls back to knowing it is there somewhere.
>
> --
> Tim Lamb
I leave myself notes in the alternative locations: 'The spare blades are in the red box next to this box'. 'Halifax stuff is in the Lloyds box'. 'There are more of these in the loft.' And for other reasons: 'If it won't go slam the door again'.
Bill

Re: It might come in

<fc1058c9-001c-4e0b-b0e3-749a8caad8fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95167&group=uk.d-i-y#95167

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 04:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:23 UTC

On Saturday, 8 April 2023 at 11:12:25 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
"Never turn a kind offer, and after an evening out with a
> > lady, you'll won't go home without a smile on your face.]
> seems to me a rule where you end up well and truly buggered

Not if it's a lady, I'm sure.
Bill

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: It might come in