I have to think hard to name an interesting man who does not drink. -- Richard Burton

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT: Emergency Test

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Emergency TestCursitor Doom
+* Re: OT: Emergency TestColin Bignell
|`* Re: OT: Emergency TestChris Green
| `* Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|  `- Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: OT: Emergency TestPaul
+* Re: OT: Emergency TestMichael Chare
|+* Re: OT: Emergency TestMark Carver
||`* Re: OT: Emergency Testjim.gm4dhj
|| `- Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|+* Re: OT: Emergency TestRobin
||`* Re: OT: Emergency TestOttavio Caruso
|| `* Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
||  +- Re: OT: Emergency TestSam Plusnet
||  `- Re: OT: Emergency TestRoland Perry
|+* Re: OT: Emergency Testjim.gm4dhj
||`- Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|`- Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
+* Re: OT: Emergency Testalan_m
|`- Re: OT: Emergency TestDan Green
+* Re: OT: Emergency TestBrian
|`* Re: OT: Emergency TestTim+
| `* Re: OT: Emergency Testalan_m
|  +* Re: OT: Emergency Testcharles
|  |+* Re: OT: Emergency TestBob Eager
|  ||+- Re: OT: Emergency Testinri
|  ||`- Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|  |+* Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|  ||`* Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|  || +- Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|  || `* Re: OT: Emergency TestTim Streater
|  ||  +- Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|  ||  `- Re: OT: Emergency TestTim+
|  |`- Re: OT: Emergency TestDan Green
|  +* Re: OT: Emergency TestTim+
|  |+- Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|  |+- Re: OT: Emergency TestMax Demian
|  |`* Re: OT: Emergency Testalan_m
|  | +- Re: OT: Emergency TestAndy Burns
|  | `- Re: OT: Emergency TestRob Morley
|  +- Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|  +- Re: OT: Emergency Testjim.gm4dhj
|  `* Re: OT: Emergency TestPaul
|   +* Re: OT: Emergency TestColin Bignell
|   |+* Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|   ||+* Re: OT: Emergency TestSpike
|   |||+* Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|   ||||`* Re: OT: Emergency TestSpike
|   |||| `- Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|   |||`* Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|   ||| `* Re: OT: Emergency TestPaul
|   |||  +- Re: OT: Emergency TestSpike
|   |||  `- Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|   ||+- Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|   ||`- Re: OT: Emergency TestColin Bignell
|   |`* Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
|   | `- Re: OT: Emergency TestColin Bignell
|   +* Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|   |`* Re: OT: Emergency TestTim Streater
|   | `* Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|   |  `* Re: OT: Emergency TestTim Streater
|   |   +- Re: OT: Emergency TestPaul
|   |   `* Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|   |    `* Re: OT: Emergency TestTim Streater
|   |     `* Re: OT: Emergency TestThe Natural Philosopher
|   |      `* Re: OT: Emergency TestPancho
|   |       +- Re: OT: Emergency TestPancho
|   |       `- Re: OT: Emergency TestTim Streater
|   `- Re: OT: Emergency TestAndrew
`- Re: Emergency TestBrian Gaff

Pages:123
OT: Emergency Test

<thvo2ipiq5iba4lddnr2uukqb3p7ovo4ja@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94679&group=uk.d-i-y#94679

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: Emergency Test
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 20:50:22 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:50 UTC

Hi all,

Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?

Cheers,

CD.

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<uHqdnUqwMq40G7H5nZ2dnZeNn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94687&group=uk.d-i-y#94687

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:23:18 +0100
Subject: Re: OT: Emergency Test
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:23 UTC

On 04/04/2023 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?

April 23rd.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0i1s8$3ia1e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94689&group=uk.d-i-y#94689

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 16:38:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:38 UTC

On 4/4/2023 3:50 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>
> Cheers,
>
> CD.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/19/uk-launches-emergency-phone-alerts-public-warning-system

"A nationwide trial is set for the early evening of 23 April.

The advice notes it is possible to turn the emergency alerts off
through the settings of a mobile phone, but that it is
not recommended given the alerts are potentially life-saving.
"

This will give you just enough time to hide under the bed.

Paul

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<mafufj-on4i.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94694&group=uk.d-i-y#94694

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:53:10 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:53 UTC

Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote:
> On 04/04/2023 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
> > they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
> > nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
> > it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
> > phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
> > keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
> > matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
> > But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>

> April 23rd.

April 1st surely!

--
Chris Green
·

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0i90q$3jfnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94701&group=uk.d-i-y#94701

From: mUNDERSC...@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 23:40:24 +0100
 by: Michael Chare - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 22:40 UTC

On 04/04/2023 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>
> Cheers,

To get alerts on an Android phone it needs to be running Android version
11 or later and connected to a 4G or 5G network. If this is the case
the phone will have varios options regarding receiving the alerts.

According to the Daily Telegraph:

"The alert will disable users’ phones leaving a "welcome message" on
screen until they acknowledge it by clicking on an “OK” message.

It is illegal to hold and use a mobile phone while driving, and those
caught doing so can be given six penalty points and a £200 fine"

I do wonder about the wisdom of this. My car has a hands free mobile
phone facility it is not clear as to whether this can be used to
acknowledge receipt of the message.

--
Michael Chare

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<k93o4bFa3fuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94702&group=uk.d-i-y#94702

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 23:54:03 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 22:54 UTC

On 04/04/2023 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
> nuclear attack?

I siren went off on my phone on Monday but it was because I accidently
hit the emergency number icon when hanging up a phone call.

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<2cbp2ip9ig6bpr05cja0ogcldrglvj83tp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94703&group=uk.d-i-y#94703

From: dhg99...@hotmail.se (Dan Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 00:12:23 +0100
 by: Dan Green - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 23:12 UTC

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 23:54:03 +0100, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 04/04/2023 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
>> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
>> nuclear attack?
>
>I siren went off on my phone on Monday but it was because I accidently
>hit the emergency number icon when hanging up a phone call.

Was it any louder than the normal maximum noise level you get when
your daily alarm for example goes off?
The Russians are way ahead of us with their equivalent system and have
been drilling the public into diving down underground stations and
whatnot when the sirens go off in their larger cities. I think the
western governments are keeping it low-key so as not to cause a panic
and alarm people. I'm not sure which approach is the best TBH.

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0j38v$3ppdo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94716&group=uk.d-i-y#94716

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 06:08:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bJ7AOW0tpW0DZVbM3UfpdFn6U1U=
 by: Brian - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 06:08 UTC

Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>
> Cheers,
>
> CD.

As usual the media and the lefties are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Other countries have had some kind of mass warning facility for years and
tested it without mass hysteria etc. There will only be a problem when the
typical ‘I”m a celebrity ….’ viewer wants 5 mins of fame and claims
something stupid.

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<1358258142.702369431.989039.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94719&group=uk.d-i-y#94719

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 5 Apr 2023 06:40:02 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 06:40 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
>> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
>> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
>> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
>> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
>> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
>> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
>> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> CD.
>>

> As usual the media and the lefties are making a mountain out of a molehill.
>
> Other countries have had some kind of mass warning facility for years and
> tested it without mass hysteria etc. There will only be a problem when the
> typical ‘I”m a celebrity ….’ viewer wants 5 mins of fame and claims
> something stupid.

We were in New Zealand in 2019 when they had a test. Totally undramatic
(but unmissable). Folk seem to be running around like headless chickens
here with ridiculous “what if” scenarios.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<k94mecFe7reU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94722&group=uk.d-i-y#94722

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:31:24 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:31 UTC

On 05/04/2023 07:40, Tim+ wrote:

> We were in New Zealand in 2019 when they had a test. Totally undramatic
> (but unmissable). Folk seem to be running around like headless chickens
> here with ridiculous “what if” scenarios.

Unless the Government have provided nuclear warfare bunkers for the all
of the population and educated the population on what to do there is no
point in having a siren test? I'll bet most people would want to be
oblivious of their death rather than being told that they are going to
die in 4 minutes time.

Or is it like the 1960s again where on hearing the siren you are meant
to get out your DIY tools, take a door off its hinges and hide under it
until after the blast?

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<k94nf0FeinkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94724&group=uk.d-i-y#94724

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:48:48 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:48 UTC

On 04/04/2023 23:40, Michael Chare wrote:
> On 04/04/2023 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
>> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
>> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
>> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
>> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
>> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
>> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
>> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> To get alerts on an Android phone it needs to be running Android
> version 11 or later and connected to a 4G or 5G network.  If this is
> the case the phone will have varios options regarding receiving the
> alerts.
>
> According to the Daily Telegraph:
>
> "The alert will disable users’ phones leaving a "welcome message" on
> screen until they acknowledge it by clicking on an “OK” message.
>
> It is illegal to hold and use a mobile phone while driving, and those
> caught doing so can be given six penalty points and a £200 fine"
>
> I do wonder about the wisdom of this. My car has a hands free mobile
> phone facility it is not clear as to whether this can be used to
> acknowledge receipt of the message.

Well, if you are going to be driving that evening, switch the bloody
phone off, then it won't receive the message, and you won't be troubled
by it. Or am I stating the obvious ?

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<5a903cec60charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94725&group=uk.d-i-y#94725

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 08:48:06 +0100
 by: charles - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:48 UTC

In article <k94mecFe7reU2@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/04/2023 07:40, Tim+ wrote:

> > We were in New Zealand in 2019 when they had a test. Totally undramatic
> > (but unmissable). Folk seem to be running around like headless chickens
> > here with ridiculous ”what if• scenarios.

> Unless the Government have provided nuclear warfare bunkers for the all
> of the population and educated the population on what to do there is no
> point in having a siren test? I'll bet most people would want to be
> oblivious of their death rather than being told that they are going to
> die in 4 minutes time.

> Or is it like the 1960s again where on hearing the siren you are meant
> to get out your DIY tools, take a door off its hinges and hide under it
> until after the blast?

The alarm is not a 4 minute warning. It's for things like flooding.
Anyway, if you're at home the 4 minutes is enough time to get out the
bottle of malt and have a last dram - or two,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Emergency Test

<u0jdps$3r8na$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94729&group=uk.d-i-y#94729

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Emergency Test
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:08:08 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:08 UTC

Probably April 1st next year?

If you are smart, are a drug dealer or up to anything else with a second
phone you really should have it off when in a possibly embarrassing
situation in any case.
In New Zealand they did this for a test of an earthquake alert system, but
managed to put it out way past the borders of the intended country. Oops!

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Cursitor Doom" <cd@notformail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>
> Cheers,
>
> CD.

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<k94u2cFhva7U17@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94734&group=uk.d-i-y#94734

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 5 Apr 2023 09:41:32 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:41 UTC

On Wed, 05 Apr 2023 08:48:06 +0100, charles wrote:

> The alarm is not a 4 minute warning. It's for things like flooding.
> Anyway, if you're at home the 4 minutes is enough time to get out the
> bottle of malt and have a last dram - or two,

Or get out the wife/girlfriend and have a last...

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<493424984.702380644.254277.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94736&group=uk.d-i-y#94736

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 5 Apr 2023 09:48:06 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:48 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/04/2023 07:40, Tim+ wrote:
>

>> We were in New Zealand in 2019 when they had a test. Totally undramatic
>> (but unmissable). Folk seem to be running around like headless chickens
>> here with ridiculous “what if” scenarios.
>
> Unless the Government have provided nuclear warfare bunkers for the all
> of the population and educated the population on what to do there is no
> point in having a siren test? I'll bet most people would want to be
> oblivious of their death rather than being told that they are going to
> die in 4 minutes time.
>
> Or is it like the 1960s again where on hearing the siren you are meant
> to get out your DIY tools, take a door off its hinges and hide under it
> until after the blast?

Why do you think it’s only for nuclear attack warning? If you lived below a
reservoir dam that was about to be breeched by extreme weather, you might
be grateful for some warning.

If your child was abducted from outside her school you might like a system
that could alert everyone in an area.

Lots of potential uses (and misuses) but in itself, the facility sounds
like a very useful thing.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0jgjt$3ra5o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94738&group=uk.d-i-y#94738

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:56:13 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:56 UTC

On 05/04/2023 08:31, alan_m wrote:
> On 05/04/2023 07:40, Tim+ wrote:
>

>> We were in New Zealand in 2019 when they had a test. Totally undramatic
>> (but unmissable). Folk seem to be running around like headless chickens
>> here with ridiculous “what if” scenarios.
>
> Unless the Government have provided nuclear warfare bunkers for the all
> of the population and educated the population on what to do there is no
> point in having a siren test?  I'll bet most people would want to be
> oblivious of their death rather than being told that they are going to
> die in 4 minutes time.

Why would they all die in 4 minutes time?

--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Mary Wollstonecraft

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<fda96701-e84f-d4bf-0318-bdd84d52ed9b@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94739&group=uk.d-i-y#94739

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:58:38 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:58 UTC

On 04/04/2023 23:40, Michael Chare wrote:
> On 04/04/2023 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
>> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
>> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
>> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
>> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
>> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
>> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
>> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> To get alerts on an Android phone it needs to be running Android version
> 11 or later and connected to a 4G or 5G network.

The official advice is that's what you need to be sure of being able to
get them. For others they have "If you have an earlier version of
Android, you may still be able to receive alerts. To check, search your
device settings for ‘emergency alerts’. "

--
Robin

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0jig9$3ruas$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94741&group=uk.d-i-y#94741

From: sca...@_us.org (inri)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:28:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: inri - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:28 UTC

On Wed, 05 Apr 2023 09:41:32 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Apr 2023 08:48:06 +0100, charles wrote:
>
>> The alarm is not a 4 minute warning. It's for things like flooding.
>> Anyway, if you're at home the 4 minutes is enough time to get out the
>> bottle of malt and have a last dram - or two,
>
> Or get out the wife/girlfriend and have a last...

......or blowup doll

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0jo7t$3spr5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94747&group=uk.d-i-y#94747

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:06:22 +0100
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:06 UTC

On 04/04/2023 23:40, Michael Chare wrote:
> On 04/04/2023 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
>> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
>> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
>> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
>> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
>> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
>> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
>> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> To get alerts on an Android phone it needs to be running Android version
> 11 or later and connected to a 4G or 5G network.  If this is the case
> the phone will have varios options regarding receiving the alerts.
>
> According to the Daily Telegraph:
>
> "The alert will disable users’ phones leaving a "welcome message" on
> screen until they acknowledge it by clicking on an “OK”  message.
>
> It is illegal to hold and use a mobile phone while driving, and those
> caught doing so can be given six penalty points and a £200 fine"
>
> I do wonder about the wisdom of this. My car has a hands free mobile
> phone facility it is not clear as to whether this can be used to
> acknowledge receipt of the message.

woo hoo another good reason to own a 2g nokia 1100......

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0joak$3spr5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94748&group=uk.d-i-y#94748

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:07:49 +0100
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:07 UTC

On 05/04/2023 08:48, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 04/04/2023 23:40, Michael Chare wrote:
>> On 04/04/2023 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know when that test is being carried out? - the one where
>>> they activate everyone's mobile phones with a siren to warn about a
>>> nuclear attack? I can't find anything in the Mail/Express online about
>>> it at all. Apparently there was some concern that turning everyone's
>>> phone into a siren could imperil women who have a secret phone they
>>> keep from their partners or some such nonsense. Like that's going to
>>> matter two fucks with Armageddon 4 mins away!
>>> But anyway, anyone know if this is going ahead and if so, when?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

>> To get alerts on an Android phone it needs to be running Android
>> version 11 or later and connected to a 4G or 5G network.  If this is
>> the case the phone will have varios options regarding receiving the
>> alerts.
>>
>> According to the Daily Telegraph:
>>
>> "The alert will disable users’ phones leaving a "welcome message" on
>> screen until they acknowledge it by clicking on an “OK” message.
>>
>> It is illegal to hold and use a mobile phone while driving, and those
>> caught doing so can be given six penalty points and a £200 fine"
>>
>> I do wonder about the wisdom of this. My car has a hands free mobile
>> phone facility it is not clear as to whether this can be used to
>> acknowledge receipt of the message.
>>

> Well, if you are going to be driving that evening, switch the bloody
> phone off, then it won't receive the message, and you won't be troubled
> by it. Or am I stating the obvious ?
sacrilage....turning a phone off tee hee

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0joe5$3spr5$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94749&group=uk.d-i-y#94749

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:09:42 +0100
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:09 UTC

On 05/04/2023 08:31, alan_m wrote:
> On 05/04/2023 07:40, Tim+ wrote:
>

>> We were in New Zealand in 2019 when they had a test. Totally undramatic
>> (but unmissable). Folk seem to be running around like headless chickens
>> here with ridiculous “what if” scenarios.
>
> Unless the Government have provided nuclear warfare bunkers for the all
> of the population and educated the population on what to do there is no
> point in having a siren test?  I'll bet most people would want to be
> oblivious of their death rather than being told that they are going to
> die in 4 minutes time.
>
> Or is it like the 1960s again where on hearing the siren you are meant
> to get out your DIY tools, take a door off its hinges and hide under it
> until after the blast?

you can kiss your ass goodbye

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0jp79$3sv06$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94750&group=uk.d-i-y#94750

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:23:06 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:23 UTC

On 4/5/2023 3:31 AM, alan_m wrote:
> On 05/04/2023 07:40, Tim+ wrote:
>

>> We were in New Zealand in 2019 when they had a test. Totally undramatic
>> (but unmissable). Folk seem to be running around like headless chickens
>> here with ridiculous “what if” scenarios.
>
> Unless the Government have provided nuclear warfare bunkers for the all of the population and educated the population on what to do there is no point in having a siren test?  I'll bet most people would want to be oblivious of their death rather than being told that they are going to die in 4 minutes time.
>
> Or is it like the 1960s again where on hearing the siren you are meant to get out your DIY tools, take a door off its hinges and hide under it until after the blast?

A fort made out of cardboard boxes.

When I was younger, that always worked.

Your main protection is getting below grade, as an earthworks
of any sort, would help with the blast overpressure (5PSI).
(That's like a couple hundred tons pressing against one side
of the house.) Which is equivalent to something like a 163 MPH wind.
Hard to say where your door ends up, during the shock wave or wind
(assumes the house has disappeared above your head, and you
experience the tail edge of the shock wave).

So maybe if you made a structure in the basement, it would
need to be bolted to the concrete floor (the legs). That's so,
if you thought the door was going to stop household debris that
had fallen on top of you, the orientation of the door remains
protective.

Maybe with enough sandbags, you could do it with ballast.

Paul

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<yUednbAOWtns97D5nZ2dnZeNn_dj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94751&group=uk.d-i-y#94751

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:34:54 +0100
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: Colin Bignell - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:34 UTC

On 05/04/2023 13:23, Paul wrote:
> On 4/5/2023 3:31 AM, alan_m wrote:
>> On 05/04/2023 07:40, Tim+ wrote:
>>

>>> We were in New Zealand in 2019 when they had a test. Totally undramatic
>>> (but unmissable). Folk seem to be running around like headless chickens
>>> here with ridiculous “what if” scenarios.
>>
>> Unless the Government have provided nuclear warfare bunkers for the
>> all of the population and educated the population on what to do there
>> is no point in having a siren test?  I'll bet most people would want
>> to be oblivious of their death rather than being told that they are
>> going to die in 4 minutes time.
>>
>> Or is it like the 1960s again where on hearing the siren you are meant
>> to get out your DIY tools, take a door off its hinges and hide under
>> it until after the blast?
>>

> A fort made out of cardboard boxes.
>
> When I was younger, that always worked.
>
> Your main protection is getting below grade, as an earthworks
> of any sort, would help with the blast overpressure (5PSI).
> (That's like a couple hundred tons pressing against one side
> of the house.) Which is equivalent to something like a 163 MPH wind.
> Hard to say where your door ends up, during the shock wave or wind
> (assumes the house has disappeared above your head, and you
> experience the tail edge of the shock wave).
>
> So maybe if you made a structure in the basement, it would
> need to be bolted to the concrete floor (the legs). That's so,
> if you thought the door was going to stop household debris that
> had fallen on top of you, the orientation of the door remains
> protective.
>
> Maybe with enough sandbags, you could do it with ballast.

You were not expected to survive in the blast zones, and you chances
were not too good in the areas around them. However, at least half the
country was expected to be unaffected by the direct effects of a nuclear
attack. That is where you would need protection from fallout and enough
food, water and chemical loos to stay in there for at least two weeks.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0jr8e$3t6n1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94752&group=uk.d-i-y#94752

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:57:50 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:57 UTC

On 05/04/2023 13:23, Paul wrote:
> On 4/5/2023 3:31 AM, alan_m wrote:
>> On 05/04/2023 07:40, Tim+ wrote:
>>

>>> We were in New Zealand in 2019 when they had a test. Totally undramatic
>>> (but unmissable). Folk seem to be running around like headless chickens
>>> here with ridiculous “what if” scenarios.
>>
>> Unless the Government have provided nuclear warfare bunkers for the
>> all of the population and educated the population on what to do there
>> is no point in having a siren test?  I'll bet most people would want
>> to be oblivious of their death rather than being told that they are
>> going to die in 4 minutes time.
>>
>> Or is it like the 1960s again where on hearing the siren you are meant
>> to get out your DIY tools, take a door off its hinges and hide under
>> it until after the blast?
>>

> A fort made out of cardboard boxes.
>
> When I was younger, that always worked.
>
> Your main protection is getting below grade, as an earthworks
> of any sort, would help with the blast overpressure (5PSI).
> (That's like a couple hundred tons pressing against one side
> of the house.) Which is equivalent to something like a 163 MPH wind.
> Hard to say where your door ends up, during the shock wave or wind
> (assumes the house has disappeared above your head, and you
> experience the tail edge of the shock wave).
>
> So maybe if you made a structure in the basement, it would
> need to be bolted to the concrete floor (the legs). That's so,
> if you thought the door was going to stop household debris that
> had fallen on top of you, the orientation of the door remains
> protective.
>
> Maybe with enough sandbags, you could do it with ballast.
>
>    Paul

There are plenty of sites with accurate data on the effect of nuclear
blasts, all of which were extensively researched during the nuclear test
years. In general air burst is more destructive than ground burst
At ground zero, you will simply be vaporised along with your house.
Beyond that (maybe a couple of miles from a 60 kiloton burst) you have
two hazards - flash burns that fry the skin off you, and blast.
You may escape flash burns if you are inside masonry - a chimney is good
- and also the blast as well.
Further out from that - say 3-5 miles - if you survive the flash you may
still die in days of radiation poisoning.

But the radiation flux dies extremely quickly and within an hour or two
the site should be perfectly safe for people in radiation suits and safe
for all within days.
Nuclear winter and worldwide radiation that kills everything are fiction.

And the radiation released by Chernobyl was the equivalent to about 100
tactical nukes .

And people continued to work in the adjacent power-stations for a decade
after Chernobyl caught fire.

Nuclear test were suspended allegedly because of the dangers of long
life radioisotopes in the human biosphere - strontium and caesium
mostly. No one knew what the long term effects would be. Today we do no.
The square root of Sweet Fanny Adams.

We already had oodles of natural radioactive carbon and potassium in
our bodies and it seems that a bit of Caesium and Strontium really made
little detectable difference.

The one thing that does make a difference, and is present in reactor
leaks and nuclear blasts, is radio iodine, which fortunately is gone ion
a matter of hours. However if you don't flood your body with (ordinary)
iodine come may end up in the thyroid and give you thyroid cancer.

At Chernobyl this was the greatest health hazard 3000 people ended up
having cancerous thyroids removed and being on thyroxin pills for life.

So that is the reality of a tactical nuclear blast. Strategic blasts up
to the megaton range are generally achieved through fusion and that
amplifies the flash and blast radius, but doesn't appreciably increase
the radiation signal

Key points
- If you are at ground zero, only flukes and miracles will save you
- further away the more optically dense material between you and the
blast the more likely you are to survive flash burns and instant
radiation sickness.
- blast is always bad, especially in terms of shrapnel. Even under the
desk may protect from flying glass etc. a ditch or hollow in the ground
is a good place to be
- Forget radiation. If you have iodine pills take them. If you haven't
your chances of *surviving* the blast and flash and *then* dying of
radiation are statistically about 3% IIRC. And mostly you will be dead
within hours or at most days. Long term radiation deaths simply didnt
happen at Hiroshima etc.
- the site should be safe for ordinary people without special gear
within a few days. Military in radiation suits can go in immediately.

--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Re: OT: Emergency Test

<u0jrjt$3t6n1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94753&group=uk.d-i-y#94753

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:03:57 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:03 UTC

On 05/04/2023 13:34, Colin Bignell wrote:
> On 05/04/2023 13:23, Paul wrote:

>>> Unless the Government have provided nuclear warfare bunkers for the
>>> all of the population and educated the population on what to do there
>>> is no point in having a siren test?  I'll bet most people would want
>>> to be oblivious of their death rather than being told that they are
>>> going to die in 4 minutes time.
>>>
>>> Or is it like the 1960s again where on hearing the siren you are
>>> meant to get out your DIY tools, take a door off its hinges and hide
>>> under it until after the blast?
>>>

>> A fort made out of cardboard boxes.
>>
>> When I was younger, that always worked.
>>
>> Your main protection is getting below grade, as an earthworks
>> of any sort, would help with the blast overpressure (5PSI).
>> (That's like a couple hundred tons pressing against one side
>> of the house.) Which is equivalent to something like a 163 MPH wind.
>> Hard to say where your door ends up, during the shock wave or wind
>> (assumes the house has disappeared above your head, and you
>> experience the tail edge of the shock wave).
>>
>> So maybe if you made a structure in the basement, it would
>> need to be bolted to the concrete floor (the legs). That's so,
>> if you thought the door was going to stop household debris that
>> had fallen on top of you, the orientation of the door remains
>> protective.
>>
>> Maybe with enough sandbags, you could do it with ballast.
>
> You were not expected to survive in the blast zones, and you chances
> were not too good in the areas around them. However, at least half the
> country was expected to be unaffected by the direct effects of a nuclear
> attack. That is where you would need protection from fallout and enough
> food, water and chemical loos to stay in there for at least two weeks.

I would agree with nearly all of that. Except the bit about protection
from fallout. That was what they thought then, today we know it really
isn't a huge issue.
Iodine pills for a day or three, yes, after than no problemo. But given
that most of the countries infrastructure was expected to be blown to
hell, stockpiled food was no bad thing.,

Back then loss of electricity would have been an inconvenience, today it
would completely cripple our ability to function. I would expect more to
die of cholera and typhoid due to the collapse of pumping stations and
sewage processing plants

And you can't run a cashless society without electricity.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT: Emergency Test