"Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you may work."

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

SubjectAuthor
* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindPeter
 +* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindNick Odell
> [...]
 ||  || `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindmaus
 ||  |+* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindNicholas D. Richards
 ||  ||`* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindAhem A Rivet's Shot
 ||  || `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindmaus
 ||  |+- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindRustyHinge
 ||  |`* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindSam Plusnet
 ||  | `* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindRustyHinge
 ||  |  `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 ||  `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 |`- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

Pages:123
Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3od8i$seu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9522&group=uk.rec.sheds#9522

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:37:51 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:37 UTC

Some time last week I had to search the cupboard of cleaning materials used
by my cleaner as I 'lost' a bottle of washing up liquid. Yesterday, any
sighted PA came to check my clothes after a big wash and noted the pair of
trousers I had on at that time had what looked like some splashes of
something which had removed a significant amount of the colour at those
points. They are not that old, and it seems annoying to have to bin them, so
does anyone know of any fix passed down through the ages that might be
able to be used to apply the navy blue colour around the area so it would
not be noticed? I would of course get somebody who can see to do it as I was
unaware of the problem before. Luckily I did not wear them out in public
that week! I'm aware you can get dyes, but the problem is when it gets
washed will it come out?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<XnsAE7F65E0E203Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9523&group=uk.rec.sheds#9523

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:00:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:00 UTC

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> Some time last week I had to search the cupboard of cleaning materials
> used by my cleaner as I 'lost' a bottle of washing up liquid.
> Yesterday, any sighted PA came to check my clothes after a big wash
> and noted the pair of trousers I had on at that time had what looked
> like some splashes of something which had removed a significant amount
> of the colour at those points. They are not that old, and it seems
> annoying to have to bin them, so does anyone know of any fix passed
> down through the ages that might be able to be used to apply the
> navy blue colour around the area so it would not be noticed? I would
> of course get somebody who can see to do it as I was unaware of the
> problem before. Luckily I did not wear them out in public that week!
> I'm aware you can get dyes, but the problem is when it gets washed
> will it come out?

You can get fast dyes but they can be a bit of a pain to apply. Also, it
sounds as though the problem was caused by bleach, which will not only
affect the coulour but also the strength of the fabric. Mght be simpler and
safer to relegate those trousers for slobbing about in and get yourself
some new ones.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<kdpv5hpca8ghu7f2j6hm51a98ilq9h6otd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9531&group=uk.rec.sheds#9531

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:01:03 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 11:01 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:00:52 -0000 (UTC), Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk>
wrote:

>"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> Some time last week I had to search the cupboard of cleaning materials
>> used by my cleaner as I 'lost' a bottle of washing up liquid.
>> Yesterday, any sighted PA came to check my clothes after a big wash
>> and noted the pair of trousers I had on at that time had what looked
>> like some splashes of something which had removed a significant amount
>> of the colour at those points. They are not that old, and it seems
>> annoying to have to bin them, so does anyone know of any fix passed
>> down through the ages that might be able to be used to apply the
>> navy blue colour around the area so it would not be noticed? I would
>> of course get somebody who can see to do it as I was unaware of the
>> problem before. Luckily I did not wear them out in public that week!
>> I'm aware you can get dyes, but the problem is when it gets washed
>> will it come out?
>
>You can get fast dyes but they can be a bit of a pain to apply. Also, it
>sounds as though the problem was caused by bleach, which will not only
>affect the coulour but also the strength of the fabric. Mght be simpler and
>safer to relegate those trousers for slobbing about in and get yourself
>some new ones.

+1

You can dye colour locally on a piece of fabric but it will always
look worse than if you had just left it alone.

Some years ago when I got some bleach splashes on a nice, thick, dark
blue, polyester/cotton work shirt I plunged the thing into a bucket of
bleach and left it there for a week.

I took it out, put it through the washing machine a couple of times
and I now have a light blue, lightweight, polyester-only work shirt
that I still use for gardening. Was it worth the effort? Probably not.

Nick

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3oumi$ui5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9535&group=uk.rec.sheds#9535

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:35:29 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:35 UTC

On 20/04/2022 12:01, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:00:52 -0000 (UTC), Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> Some time last week I had to search the cupboard of cleaning materials
>>> used by my cleaner as I 'lost' a bottle of washing up liquid.
>>> Yesterday, any sighted PA came to check my clothes after a big wash
>>> and noted the pair of trousers I had on at that time had what looked
>>> like some splashes of something which had removed a significant amount
>>> of the colour at those points. They are not that old, and it seems
>>> annoying to have to bin them, so does anyone know of any fix passed
>>> down through the ages that might be able to be used to apply the
>>> navy blue colour around the area so it would not be noticed? I would
>>> of course get somebody who can see to do it as I was unaware of the
>>> problem before. Luckily I did not wear them out in public that week!
>>> I'm aware you can get dyes, but the problem is when it gets washed
>>> will it come out?
>>
>> You can get fast dyes but they can be a bit of a pain to apply. Also, it
>> sounds as though the problem was caused by bleach, which will not only
>> affect the coulour but also the strength of the fabric. Mght be simpler and
>> safer to relegate those trousers for slobbing about in and get yourself
>> some new ones.
>
> +1
>
> You can dye colour locally on a piece of fabric but it will always
> look worse than if you had just left it alone.
>
> Some years ago when I got some bleach splashes on a nice, thick, dark
> blue, polyester/cotton work shirt I plunged the thing into a bucket of
> bleach and left it there for a week.
>
> I took it out, put it through the washing machine a couple of times
> and I now have a light blue, lightweight, polyester-only work shirt
> that I still use for gardening. Was it worth the effort? Probably not.
>
> Nick

I gooved such blemishes were quite trendy nowadays. Put a couple or rips
in the knees too (knees two aaw) and you'll be truly 'sick' Brian!

Tone

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3ovdr$7f7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9537&group=uk.rec.sheds#9537

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:47:53 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:47 UTC

On 20/04/2022 13:35, Tone wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 12:01, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:00:52 -0000 (UTC), Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

>>> You can get fast dyes but they can be a bit of a pain to apply. Also, it
>>> sounds as though the problem was caused by bleach, which will not only
>>> affect the coulour but also the strength of the fabric. Mght be
>>> simpler and
>>> safer to relegate those trousers for slobbing about in and get yourself
>>> some new ones.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> You can dye colour locally on a piece of fabric but it will always
>> look worse than if you had just left it alone.
>>
>> Some years ago when I got some bleach splashes on a nice, thick, dark
>> blue, polyester/cotton work shirt I plunged the thing into a bucket of
>> bleach and left it there for a week.
>>
>> I took it out, put it through the washing machine a couple of times
>> and I now have a light blue, lightweight, polyester-only work shirt
>> that I still use for gardening. Was it worth the effort? Probably not.
>>
>> Nick
>
> I gooved such blemishes were quite trendy nowadays. Put a couple or rips
> in the knees too (knees two aaw) and you'll be truly 'sick' Brian!

You also have to rip the Backpocketsoff (Яussian oilygraph wot we
haven't yet sanctioned) so they hang down as flaps and then fray (not
fryy) the bottoms of the legses.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<slrnt60che.7m9.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9544&group=uk.rec.sheds#9544

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Apr 2022 16:17:50 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:17 UTC

On 2022-04-20, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 13:35, Tone wrote:
>> On 20/04/2022 12:01, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> You can dye colour locally on a piece of fabric but it will always
>>> look worse than if you had just left it alone.
>>>
>>> Some years ago when I got some bleach splashes on a nice, thick, dark
>>> blue, polyester/cotton work shirt I plunged the thing into a bucket of
>>> bleach and left it there for a week.
>>>
>>> I took it out, put it through the washing machine a couple of times
>>> and I now have a light blue, lightweight, polyester-only work shirt
>>> that I still use for gardening. Was it worth the effort? Probably not.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>
>> I gooved such blemishes were quite trendy nowadays. Put a couple or rips
>> in the knees too (knees two aaw) and you'll be truly 'sick' Brian!
>
> You also have to rip the Backpocketsoff (Яussian oilygraph wot we
> haven't yet sanctioned) so they hang down as flaps and then fray (not
> fryy) the bottoms of the legses.

I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
look had died years ago,

--
greymausg@mail.com
He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord.

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<jcaqmkFp8paU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9547&group=uk.rec.sheds#9547

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:29:06 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:29 UTC

On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:

> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
> look had died years ago,

Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.

The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
looked like that.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<Y0505bOfhEYiFwTX@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9552&group=uk.rec.sheds#9552

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:52:31 +0100
 by: Adrian - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:52 UTC

In message <jcaqmkFp8paU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> writes
>On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:
>
>> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
>> look had died years ago,
>>
>Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>
>The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When
>I were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>looked like that.

At which point you weren't allowed out of the house "looking like that".

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9553&group=uk.rec.sheds#9553

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Apr 2022 19:06:01 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:06 UTC

On 2022-04-20, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:
>
>> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
>> look had died years ago,
>>
> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>
> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
> looked like that.

Next flares!

--
greymausg@mail.com
He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness,

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<x9qTnKAv2FYiFAWU@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9554&group=uk.rec.sheds#9554

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:23:27 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:23 UTC

In article <jcauloFpu22U1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
<mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 18:36:55 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On 20/04/2022 17:29, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:
>>
>>> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
>>> look had died years ago,
>>>
>> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>>
>> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
>> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>> looked like that.
>
>Really? I thought you were a not dissimilar vintage to me, and I
>unforget the togs'n'clogs pages of NME having many an advert for
>pre-worn genes.

You mean like my father and mother wore my genes before me and their
parents before then? Wow!
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<9tuQjXA+9FYiFA2k@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9555&group=uk.rec.sheds#9555

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:31:10 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:31 UTC

In article <slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org>, maus <maus@dmaus.org> on
Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 19:06:01 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 2022-04-20, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:
>>
>>> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
>>> look had died years ago,
>>>
>> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>>
>> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
>> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>> looked like that.
>>

>Next flares!

That was when I went out of fashion, at least lost any interest in
fashion. Flared skirts look great, on a girl, but flared trousers on a
boy or girl look awfully, and they got grubby at the bottom after your
first step outside. Mind you at 5 foot nothing they looked a joke on me.

My wife found a pair at the bottom of some long forgotten heap of
discards and asked my why they had never been worn (the shop label was
still on it); she got her answer when my son saw them and fell about
laughing.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<20220420212134.bd5c46a68cfe4203c6af798d@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9558&group=uk.rec.sheds#9558

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:21:34 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:21 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:23:27 +0100
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

> You mean like my father and mother wore my genes before me and their
> parents before then? Wow!

Well now here's a promble - my son has half my genes and my
daughter has half my genes which must mean I'm wandering around with no
genes and me kneeses getting clod.

It's a good thing it doesn't jbex like that innit.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<20220420212710.a326032a97d866fdf06cb839@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9559&group=uk.rec.sheds#9559

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:27:10 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:27 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:31:10 +0100
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

> That was when I went out of fashion, at least lost any interest in
> fashion. Flared skirts look great, on a girl, but flared trousers on a
> boy or girl look awfully, and they got grubby at the bottom after your
> first step outside. Mind you at 5 foot nothing they looked a joke on me.

Flares required a lanky shape and stacked heels to jbex properly,
they also had to be *exactly* the right length - for a couple of years I
tried then gave up. It's arguable whether they looked good done right but
done badly, as was almost universal, they were *awful*.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3psa7$u7u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9563&group=uk.rec.sheds#9563

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:00:55 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:00 UTC

On 20/04/2022 17:29, John Williamson wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:
>
>> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
>> look had died years ago,
>>
> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>
> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
> looked like that.

Kids today are fart oo impatient - besides, they grow too fast now, and
outgrow their denims before they wear out.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3psu3$6js$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9564&group=uk.rec.sheds#9564

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:11:30 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:11 UTC

On 20/04/2022 18:52, Adrian wrote:
> In message <jcaqmkFp8paU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> writes
>> On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:
>>
>>> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
>>> look had died years ago,
>>>
>> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>>
>> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When
>> I were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>> looked like that.
>>

> At which point you weren't allowed out of the house "looking like that".

One of my nieces was most put-out when my sister castigated her for
looking 'like a tramp' and they Had Words(TM).

Shortly afterwards my sister was diagnosed with terminal cancer (she
smoked, y'know) and died before niece could make peace with her, which
distressed niece more than the tramp's outfit was.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3pt2o$6js$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9565&group=uk.rec.sheds#9565

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:14:00 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:14 UTC

On 20/04/2022 20:06, maus wrote:
> On 2022-04-20, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:
>>
>>> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
>>> look had died years ago,
>>>
>> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>>
>> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
>> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>> looked like that.
>>

> Next flares!

I *like* flares. A lot of my trowsis were flared when they were 'in'. I
even had a pair of genuine RN 'bell-bottoms'.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3pud7$hdm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9566&group=uk.rec.sheds#9566

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:36:39 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:36 UTC

On 20/04/2022 21:27, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:31:10 +0100
> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> That was when I went out of fashion, at least lost any interest in
>> fashion. Flared skirts look great, on a girl, but flared trousers on a
>> boy or girl look awfully, and they got grubby at the bottom after your
>> first step outside. Mind you at 5 foot nothing they looked a joke on me.
>
> Flares required a lanky shape and stacked heels to jbex properly,
> they also had to be *exactly* the right length - for a couple of years I
> tried then gave up. It's arguable whether they looked good done right but
> done badly, as was almost universal, they were *awful*.

I had a suit tailored for me by Mr. Montague Burton, whose features I
specified. A few munce after that the Mangler of my local Burton's
branch showed me their Suit of the Year. It was the same cloth, the same
style other than the width of the lapels, even down to the pocket
arrangements.

I useter do fancy things in my yoof: In Romford Market I once ohled a
longth of rather handsome heavy silk curting material and took it to
Burton's along with a nantique weskit, the cut of which I liked, and had
something similar but biggerer tailored, but with the difference that
holes were left where the buttons should - would be, so I could hfr a
set of very handsome grey slightly concave nacre ones with a faux gold
crossed threading in the miggle, the stems of which had a nole at the
end and were secured with an ickle clip behind the material.

Very elegant, especially with my self-designed suit.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<N-WdnZhJsYUp4P3_nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9567&group=uk.rec.sheds#9567

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:40:04 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:40 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 20/04/2022 20:06, maus wrote:

>>> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>>>
>>> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
>>> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>>> looked like that.
>>>

>> Next flares!
>
> I *like* flares. A lot of my trowsis were flared when they were 'in'. I
> even had a pair of genuine RN 'bell-bottoms'.

The blue wool (serge ?). So did I. I cut triangles out of the legs &
sewed 'em up straight(-ish), whereupon they were fine trowsis.

Tuck 'em inside a pair of british army N.I. issue boots, with the extra
height, lace 'em up right, and you could go down to your knees in
squishy ground for a good few seconds and still come up with dry feet.

I miss the army & navy shops. Where's a chap supposed to buy a decent
army and navy these days, eh ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<%9%7K.33480$7p1.165@fx04.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9568&group=uk.rec.sheds#9568

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:45:30 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:45 UTC

On 20-Apr-22 17:29, John Williamson wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:
>
>> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
>> look had died years ago,
>>
> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>
> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
> looked like that.

Wot about the black, tight-fitting, but
crotch-down-about-knee-level-look trousers?

The phrase "In Glod's name why?" comes to mind.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<slrnt60vtd.bh4.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9569&group=uk.rec.sheds#9569

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Apr 2022 21:48:29 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:48 UTC

On 2022-04-20, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 20:06, maus wrote:

>>> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>>>
>>> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
>>> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>>> looked like that.
>>>

>> Next flares!
>
> I *like* flares. A lot of my trowsis were flared when they were 'in'. I
> even had a pair of genuine RN 'bell-bottoms'.

There was a rumour locally that some one of our honest and skilful civil
servants had bought a lot of hospital uniforms from China, without
noticing that they were flared. Further rumour is that they are still in
storaghad bought a lot of hospital uniforms from China, without noticing
that they were flared. Further rumour is that they are still in storagee

--
greymausg@mail.com
He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness,

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<cd%7K.33481$7p1.31465@fx04.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9570&group=uk.rec.sheds#9570

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:48:56 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:48 UTC

On 20-Apr-22 22:40, Richard Robinson wrote:
> I miss the army & navy shops. Where's a chap supposed to buy a decent
> army and navy these days, eh ?

There's a couple going spare in eastern yurope at the moment.

For some value of the phrase "going spare".

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<slrnt6100e.bh4.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9571&group=uk.rec.sheds#9571

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Apr 2022 21:50:06 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:50 UTC

On 2022-04-20, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:23:27 +0100
> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> You mean like my father and mother wore my genes before me and their
>> parents before then? Wow!
>
> Well now here's a promble - my son has half my genes and my
> daughter has half my genes which must mean I'm wandering around with no
> genes and me kneeses getting clod.
>
> It's a good thing it doesn't jbex like that innit.

Generally happens after seventy years.

--
greymausg@mail.com
He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness,

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3q0kf$42n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9573&group=uk.rec.sheds#9573

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:14:37 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:14 UTC

On 20/04/2022 22:40, Richard Robinson wrote:
> RustyHinge said:

>>> Next flares!
>>
>> I *like* flares. A lot of my trowsis were flared when they were 'in'. I
>> even had a pair of genuine RN 'bell-bottoms'.
>
> The blue wool (serge ?). So did I. I cut triangles out of the legs &
> sewed 'em up straight(-ish), whereupon they were fine trowsis.
>
> Tuck 'em inside a pair of british army N.I. issue boots, with the extra
> height, lace 'em up right, and you could go down to your knees in
> squishy ground for a good few seconds and still come up with dry feet.
>
> I miss the army & navy shops. Where's a chap supposed to buy a decent
> army and navy these days, eh ?

*Is* there a decent army and navy these days? Soldiers (especially) seem
to live in camou gear and sailors don't have bell-bottoms. Dunno about
the RAF 'walking out' gear.

In ye olden dayes you could ohl flying gear wot you could hfr to
sleepwalk in, and all sorts of other stuff in 'Army' surplus stores -
all (or nearly all) remarkably cheaply.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3q17u$8cl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9574&group=uk.rec.sheds#9574

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:25:01 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:25 UTC

On 20/04/2022 22:45, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 20-Apr-22 17:29, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 20/04/2022 17:17, maus wrote:
>>
>>> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
>>> look had died years ago,
>>>
>> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>>
>> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When
>> I were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>> looked like that.
>>
> Wot about the black, tight-fitting, but
> crotch-down-about-knee-level-look trousers?
>
> The phrase "In Glod's name why?" comes to mind.

The reason is that it's the 'Black Jailbird Look'. Apparently they hang
like that because the prisoners aren't allowed to have belts, but the
look became fashionable in USAnian jails.

Don't whisper it to the 'fashionable' yoof, but the lower the crotch
hangs, the more available the wearer is to be funttrq.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<jcbj30FtqesU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9576&group=uk.rec.sheds#9576

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 00:25:19 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:25 UTC

On 20/04/2022 20:31, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org>, maus <maus@dmaus.org> on
> Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 19:06:01 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>
>> Next flares!
>>
> That was when I went out of fashion, at least lost any interest in
> fashion. Flared skirts look great, on a girl, but flared trousers on a
> boy or girl look awfully, and they got grubby at the bottom after your
> first step outside. Mind you at 5 foot nothing they looked a joke on me.

They were also ill-advised when riding motorcycles, as they had a
tendency to get caught on a footpeg as you were putting your feet down
when coming to a standstill [1]. I always managed to disentangle them
just in time but it caused some heart-stopping moments.

[1] As opposed to my mate Lil, who came to a stop at a petrol station on
his Triton and completely forgot to put his feet down [2]

[2] As opposed to me, who filled up at a petrol station and then
dismounted and went to pay, having forgotten to put the sidestand down