I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. -- Isaac Asimov

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

SubjectAuthor
* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindPeter
 +* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindNick Odell
> [...]
 ||  || `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindmaus
 ||  |+* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindNicholas D. Richards
 ||  ||`* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindAhem A Rivet's Shot
 ||  || `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindmaus
 ||  |+- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindRustyHinge
 ||  |`* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindSam Plusnet
 ||  | `* Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindRustyHinge
 ||  |  `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 ||  `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 |`- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 `- Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blindBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

Pages:123
Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3q5jo$4e6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9577&group=uk.rec.sheds#9577

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 00:39:35 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:39 UTC

On 20/04/2022 20:31, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org>, maus <maus@dmaus.org> on
> Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 19:06:01 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>>>
>>> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
>>> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>>> looked like that.
>>>

>> Next flares!
>>
> That was when I went out of fashion, at least lost any interest in
> fashion. Flared skirts look great, on a girl, but flared trousers on a
> boy or girl look awfully, and they got grubby at the bottom after your
> first step outside. Mind you at 5 foot nothing they looked a joke on me.
>
> My wife found a pair at the bottom of some long forgotten heap of
> discards and asked my why they had never been worn (the shop label was
> still on it); she got her answer when my son saw them and fell about
> laughing.

We had them in the RN centuries ago - bell bottom trousers.

Hence getting the clappers.

That's prombly why I have a bell bottom now.

Tone

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<5oqdnc8s67evPv3_nZ2dnUU7-bmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9579&group=uk.rec.sheds#9579

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:20:02 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 00:20 UTC

Mike Fleming said:
> On 20/04/2022 20:31, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org>, maus <maus@dmaus.org> on
>> Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 19:06:01 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>>
>>> Next flares!
>>>
>> That was when I went out of fashion, at least lost any interest in
>> fashion. Flared skirts look great, on a girl, but flared trousers on a
>> boy or girl look awfully, and they got grubby at the bottom after your
>> first step outside. Mind you at 5 foot nothing they looked a joke on me.
>
> They were also ill-advised when riding motorcycles, as they had a
> tendency to get caught on a footpeg as you were putting your feet down
> when coming to a standstill [1]. I always managed to disentangle them
> just in time but it caused some heart-stopping moments.

Oh yeah. See also "bootlaces". I learnt to remember to tuck them inside,
eventually

> [1] As opposed to my mate Lil, who came to a stop at a petrol station on
> his Triton and completely forgot to put his feet down [2]
>
> [2] As opposed to me, who filled up at a petrol station and then
> dismounted and went to pay, having forgotten to put the sidestand down

The "I meant to do that, of course" look isn't always easy, is it ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<87h76nt0qp.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9581&group=uk.rec.sheds#9581

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Apr 2022 03:21:50 -0300
 by: Mike Spencer - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 06:21 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes:

> *Is* there a decent army and navy these days? Soldiers (especially) seem
> to live in camou gear and sailors don't have bell-bottoms. Dunno about
> the RAF 'walking out' gear.
>
> In ye olden dayes you could ohl flying gear wot you could hfr to
> sleepwalk in, and all sorts of other stuff in 'Army' surplus stores -
> all (or nearly all) remarkably cheaply.

Item: Korean war surplus sleeping bags. Down-filled silk-lined mummy
bags good for napping in the open in arctic conditions. When mine
wore out, there were no more to be had. The Viet Nam leftovers didn't
include acrtic-rated gear.

Still have a GU II Bantam trailer that hasn't worn out though. About
the same age as Tone & I.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3r18s$e6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9582&group=uk.rec.sheds#9582

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:31:35 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:31 UTC

Does not feel that its changed the strength to me, but its hard to tell in
the long term of course.
My late old Granny had some kind of stuff that she used which seemed to
need the area to be tied up in some way and then boiled. Took ages. I
should have played more attention at the time, but I was more interested in
making model aircraft and flying them at the time.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Peter" <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote in message
> "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> Some time last week I had to search the cupboard of cleaning materials
>> used by my cleaner as I 'lost' a bottle of washing up liquid.
>> Yesterday, any sighted PA came to check my clothes after a big wash
>> and noted the pair of trousers I had on at that time had what looked
>> like some splashes of something which had removed a significant amount
>> of the colour at those points. They are not that old, and it seems
>> annoying to have to bin them, so does anyone know of any fix passed
>> down through the ages that might be able to be used to apply the
>> navy blue colour around the area so it would not be noticed? I would
>> of course get somebody who can see to do it as I was unaware of the
>> problem before. Luckily I did not wear them out in public that week!
>> I'm aware you can get dyes, but the problem is when it gets washed
>> will it come out?
>
> You can get fast dyes but they can be a bit of a pain to apply. Also, it
> sounds as though the problem was caused by bleach, which will not only
> affect the coulour but also the strength of the fabric. Mght be simpler
> and
> safer to relegate those trousers for slobbing about in and get yourself
> some new ones.
>
> --
> Peter
> -----

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3r1dc$f13$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9583&group=uk.rec.sheds#9583

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:34:00 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:34 UTC

Many years ago I did similar and the shirt actually had darker areas where
the seems were. Actually was quite unique.

"Nick Odell" <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:00:52 -0000 (UTC), Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> Some time last week I had to search the cupboard of cleaning materials
>>> used by my cleaner as I 'lost' a bottle of washing up liquid.
>>> Yesterday, any sighted PA came to check my clothes after a big wash
>>> and noted the pair of trousers I had on at that time had what looked
>>> like some splashes of something which had removed a significant amount
>>> of the colour at those points. They are not that old, and it seems
>>> annoying to have to bin them, so does anyone know of any fix passed
>>> down through the ages that might be able to be used to apply the
>>> navy blue colour around the area so it would not be noticed? I would
>>> of course get somebody who can see to do it as I was unaware of the
>>> problem before. Luckily I did not wear them out in public that week!
>>> I'm aware you can get dyes, but the problem is when it gets washed
>>> will it come out?
>>
>>You can get fast dyes but they can be a bit of a pain to apply. Also, it
>>sounds as though the problem was caused by bleach, which will not only
>>affect the coulour but also the strength of the fabric. Mght be simpler
>>and
>>safer to relegate those trousers for slobbing about in and get yourself
>>some new ones.
>
> +1
>
> You can dye colour locally on a piece of fabric but it will always
> look worse than if you had just left it alone.
>
> Some years ago when I got some bleach splashes on a nice, thick, dark
> blue, polyester/cotton work shirt I plunged the thing into a bucket of
> bleach and left it there for a week.
>
> I took it out, put it through the washing machine a couple of times
> and I now have a light blue, lightweight, polyester-only work shirt
> that I still use for gardening. Was it worth the effort? Probably not.
>
> Nick

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3r1rv$i7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9584&group=uk.rec.sheds#9584

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:41:46 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:41 UTC

No, they are still out there. There are apparently some female tops a bit
like that also but with splodgy colour as well as holes in dodgy places.
Not seen them of course but it never surprises me what passes for fashion by
the young, I don't recall ever going through this phase of growing up, I
more or less wear the same stuff now as I did at 16.

"maus" <maus@dmaus.org> wrote in message
> On 2022-04-20, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I gooved such blemishes were quite trendy nowadays. Put a couple or rips
>>> in the knees too (knees two aaw) and you'll be truly 'sick' Brian!
>>
>> You also have to rip the Backpocketsoff (?ussian oilygraph wot we
>> haven't yet sanctioned) so they hang down as flaps and then fray (not
>> fryy) the bottoms of the legses.
>>
> I met a girl with deliberate cuts in her jeans today, I thought that
> look had died years ago,
>
> --
> greymausg@mail.com
> He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the
> way of the Lord.

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3r2i9$mu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9586&group=uk.rec.sheds#9586

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:53:41 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:53 UTC

Not new though, I remember the troggs hit, I can't help myself.

I'm way behind you know as I only found out yesterday that the group called
the Yardbirds was named after soldiers on report having to clean up the yard
as a punishment.

"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 20/04/2022 22:45, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Dunno where you are, but it started coming back here before Lockdown.
>>>
>>> The amusing thing is that shops now actually sell them like that. When I
>>> were a lad, they used to buy new jeans and just wear them until they
>>> looked like that.
>>>
>> Wot about the black, tight-fitting, but crotch-down-about-knee-level-look
>> trousers?
>>
>> The phrase "In Glod's name why?" comes to mind.
>
> The reason is that it's the 'Black Jailbird Look'. Apparently they hang
> like that because the prisoners aren't allowed to have belts, but the look
> became fashionable in USAnian jails.
>
> Don't whisper it to the 'fashionable' yoof, but the lower the crotch
> hangs, the more available the wearer is to be funttrq.
>
> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<XnsAE8063B4278FCFactura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9587&group=uk.rec.sheds#9587

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:48:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:48 UTC

> I useter do fancy things in my yoof: In Romford Market I once ohled a
> longth of rather handsome heavy silk curting material and took it to
> Burton's along with a nantique weskit, the cut of which I liked, and
> had something similar but biggerer tailored, but with the difference
> that holes were left where the buttons should - would be, so I could
> hfr a set of very handsome grey slightly concave nacre ones with a
> faux gold crossed threading in the miggle, the stems of which had a
> nole at the end and were secured with an ickle clip behind the
> material.

SWMBO made a weskit out of similar material for a brother-in-law some years
ago, though in that case she cut the fabric into diamonds then stitched the
diamonds together - gave a sort of cut-glass effect. When various nephews
saw it they wanted likewise. Kept her happy and occupied for quite a while,
and the weskits still appear at family gatherings a decade or so later.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<fKEoKJAVYSYiFAho@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9592&group=uk.rec.sheds#9592

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:38:29 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 09:38 UTC

In article <jcbj30FtqesU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
<mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 00:25:19 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On 20/04/2022 20:31, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org>, maus <maus@dmaus.org> on
>> Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 19:06:01 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>>
>>> Next flares!
>>>
>> That was when I went out of fashion, at least lost any interest in
>> fashion. Flared skirts look great, on a girl, but flared trousers on a
>> boy or girl look awfully, and they got grubby at the bottom after your
>> first step outside. Mind you at 5 foot nothing they looked a joke on me.
>
>They were also ill-advised when riding motorcycles, as they had a
>tendency to get caught on a footpeg as you were putting your feet down
>when coming to a standstill [1]. I always managed to disentangle them
>just in time but it caused some heart-stopping moments.

Ditto bicycle chains, when the 'bell-ends' came out of your socks while
pedalling furiously.

>[1] As opposed to my mate Lil, who came to a stop at a petrol station on
>his Triton and completely forgot to put his feet down [2]
>
>[2] As opposed to me, who filled up at a petrol station and then
>dismounted and went to pay, having forgotten to put the sidestand down

In the words of Sir Humphrey, 'very courageous' of you to fill up with
petrol placing the nozzle close to your crown jewels.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9593&group=uk.rec.sheds#9593

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 04:54:25 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 09:54 UTC

Mike Spencer said:

> The Viet Nam leftovers didn't include acrtic-rated gear.

How odd ...

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<NJ-dnXAyxZCMqvz_nZ2dnUU7-SGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9595&group=uk.rec.sheds#9595

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:50:57 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:50 UTC

Sam Plusnet said:
> On 20-Apr-22 22:40, Richard Robinson wrote:
>> I miss the army & navy shops. Where's a chap supposed to buy a decent
>> army and navy these days, eh ?
>
> There's a couple going spare in eastern yurope at the moment.
>
> For some value of the phrase "going spare".

*grin* (of a qualified nature). Indeed.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<NJ-dnXMyxZA9qvz_nZ2dnUU7-SGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9597&group=uk.rec.sheds#9597

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:53:20 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:53 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 20/04/2022 22:40, Richard Robinson wrote:
>>
>> I miss the army & navy shops. Where's a chap supposed to buy a decent
>> army and navy these days, eh ?
>
> *Is* there a decent army and navy these days? Soldiers (especially) seem
> to live in camou gear and sailors don't have bell-bottoms. Dunno about
> the RAF 'walking out' gear.
>
> In ye olden dayes you could ohl flying gear wot you could hfr to
> sleepwalk in, and all sorts of other stuff in 'Army' surplus stores -
> all (or nearly all) remarkably cheaply.

"What was the world war for, Daddy ?"
"Cheap clothes, kiddo"

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<u7b02uAqgTYiFA0X@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9598&group=uk.rec.sheds#9598

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:55:38 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:55 UTC

In article <ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 04:54:25 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Mike Spencer said:
>>
>> The Viet Nam leftovers didn't include acrtic-rated gear.
>
>How odd ...

I have always emptied the bowl. Nom Nom
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3rhet$1ta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9603&group=uk.rec.sheds#9603

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:07:57 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:07 UTC

On 21/04/2022 10:54, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Mike Spencer said:
>>
>> The Viet Nam leftovers didn't include acrtic-rated gear.
>
> How odd ...

....Of God

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<t3rhgv$1ta$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9604&group=uk.rec.sheds#9604

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:09:03 +0100
<kdpv5hpca8ghu7f2j6hm51a98ilq9h6otd@4ax.com> <t3oumi$ui5$1@dont-email.me>
<t3ovdr$7f7$1@dont-email.me> <slrnt60che.7m9.maus@dmaus.org>
<jcaqmkFp8paU1@mid.individual.net> <slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org>
<t3pt2o$6js$2@dont-email.me>
<N-WdnZhJsYUp4P3_nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<t3q0kf$42n$1@dont-email.me> <87h76nt0qp.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>
<ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<u7b02uAqgTYiFA0X@salmiron.com>
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:09 UTC

On 21/04/2022 11:55, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
> Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 04:54:25 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> Mike Spencer said:
>>>
>>> The Viet Nam leftovers didn't include acrtic-rated gear.
>>
>> How odd ...
>>
> I have always emptied the bowl. Nom Nom

Flushed with success?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<Hr-dnYD1Ae1d0_z_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9605&group=uk.rec.sheds#9605

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:32:00 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:32 UTC

Nicholas D. Richards said:
> In article <ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
> Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 04:54:25 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>Mike Spencer said:
>>>
>>> The Viet Nam leftovers didn't include acrtic-rated gear.
>>
>>How odd ...
>>
> I have always emptied the bowl. Nom Nom

Is that the spicy soup ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<Hr-dnYP1Ae2m0vz_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9606&group=uk.rec.sheds#9606

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:34:03 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:34 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 21/04/2022 10:54, Richard Robinson wrote:
>> Mike Spencer said:
>>>
>>> The Viet Nam leftovers didn't include acrtic-rated gear.
>>
>> How odd ...
>
> ...Of God

Which reminds me of "Noxin, the American trickster god".

Wherever on earth I read that, many years ago.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<20220421134149.9d3af6dcd0f5532b7fd027f3@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9609&group=uk.rec.sheds#9609

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:41:49 +0100
<t3q0kf$42n$1@dont-email.me>
<87h76nt0qp.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>
<ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<u7b02uAqgTYiFA0X@salmiron.com>
<t3rhgv$1ta$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:41 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:09:03 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21/04/2022 11:55, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> > In article <ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
> > Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 04:54:25 awoke
> > Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

> >> How odd ...
> >>
> > I have always emptied the bowl. Nom Nom
>
> Flushed with success?

pre-loved food ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<LQGNsRBcaYYiFACg@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9625&group=uk.rec.sheds#9625

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:30:20 +0100
<kdpv5hpca8ghu7f2j6hm51a98ilq9h6otd@4ax.com> <t3oumi$ui5$1@dont-email.me>
<t3ovdr$7f7$1@dont-email.me> <slrnt60che.7m9.maus@dmaus.org>
<jcaqmkFp8paU1@mid.individual.net> <slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org>
<t3pt2o$6js$2@dont-email.me>
<N-WdnZhJsYUp4P3_nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<t3q0kf$42n$1@dont-email.me> <87h76nt0qp.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>
<ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<u7b02uAqgTYiFA0X@salmiron.com>
<Hr-dnYD1Ae1d0_z_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:30 UTC

In article <Hr-dnYD1Ae1d0_z_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 07:32:00 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Nicholas D. Richards said:
>> In article <ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
>> Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 04:54:25 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>>How odd ...
>>>
>> I have always emptied the bowl. Nom Nom
>
>Is that the spicy soup ?

Nom Nom
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<b_6dnWbj_aBqF_z_nZ2dnUU7-SmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9629&group=uk.rec.sheds#9629

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:48:55 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:48 UTC

Nicholas D. Richards said:
> In article <Hr-dnYD1Ae1d0_z_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
> Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 07:32:00 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>Nicholas D. Richards said:
>>> In article <ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
>>> Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 04:54:25 awoke
>>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> I have always emptied the bowl. Nom Nom
>>
>>Is that the spicy soup ?
>>
> Nom Nom

Nom de Dieu ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<XnsAE80BCDF4C0BFactura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9631&group=uk.rec.sheds#9631

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:33:58 -0000 (UTC)
References: <t3od8i$seu$1@dont-email.me> <XnsAE7F65E0E203Factura3476@144.76.35.252> <kdpv5hpca8ghu7f2j6hm51a98ilq9h6otd@4ax.com> <t3oumi$ui5$1@dont-email.me> <t3ovdr$7f7$1@dont-email.me> <slrnt60che.7m9.maus@dmaus.org> <jcaqmkFp8paU1@mid.individual.net> <slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org> <t3pt2o$6js$2@dont-email.me> <N-WdnZhJsYUp4P3_nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <t3q0kf$42n$1@dont-email.me> <87h76nt0qp.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> <ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <u7b02uAqgTYiFA0X@salmiron.com> <Hr-dnYD1Ae1d0_z_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <LQGNsRBcaYYiFACg@salmiron.com> <b_6dnWbj_aBqF_z_nZ2dnUU7-SmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 by: Peter - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:33 UTC

Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in

> Nicholas D. Richards said:
>> In article <Hr-dnYD1Ae1d0_z_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
>> Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at
>> 07:32:00 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>>Is that the spicy soup ?
>>>
>> Nom Nom
>
> Nom de Dieu ?

Nom d'un nom d'un nom

--
Peter
-----

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<srGdndA4HMGTBvz_nZ2dnUU7-N-dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9633&group=uk.rec.sheds#9633

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:57:34 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:57 UTC

Peter said:
> Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> Nicholas D. Richards said:
>>> In article <Hr-dnYD1Ae1d0_z_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
>>> Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at
>>> 07:32:00 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Nom Nom
>>
>> Nom de Dieu ?
>
> Nom d'un nom d'un nom

Ooh 'eck, he's gone multiply meta. Nurse !

Nom Penh ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<JKj8K.91200$F4h.50633@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9642&group=uk.rec.sheds#9642

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 22:10:00 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 21:10 UTC

On 21-Apr-22 10:54, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Mike Spencer said:
>>
>> The Viet Nam leftovers didn't include acrtic-rated gear.
>
> How odd ...

Indeed.
During WWII in the Royal Navy people would say things like:

"We must be going on an Arctic Convoy. They're issuing tropical kit."

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<LRLd8qBoUZYiFASf@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9654&group=uk.rec.sheds#9654

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 18:32:24 +0100
<kdpv5hpca8ghu7f2j6hm51a98ilq9h6otd@4ax.com> <t3oumi$ui5$1@dont-email.me>
<t3ovdr$7f7$1@dont-email.me> <slrnt60che.7m9.maus@dmaus.org>
<jcaqmkFp8paU1@mid.individual.net> <slrnt60mcp.9pq.maus@dmaus.org>
<t3pt2o$6js$2@dont-email.me>
<N-WdnZhJsYUp4P3_nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<t3q0kf$42n$1@dont-email.me> <87h76nt0qp.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>
<ArKdnVyx64xMtPz_nZ2dnUU7-RGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<u7b02uAqgTYiFA0X@salmiron.com>
<Hr-dnYD1Ae1d0_z_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<LQGNsRBcaYYiFACg@salmiron.com>
<b_6dnWbj_aBqF_z_nZ2dnUU7-SmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:32 UTC

In article <b_6dnWbj_aBqF_z_nZ2dnUU7-SmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 11:48:55 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Nicholas D. Richards said:
>> In article <Hr-dnYD1Ae1d0_z_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Richard
>> Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> on Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 07:32:00 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>>Is that the spicy soup ?
>>>
>> Nom Nom
>
>Nom de Dieu ?

Nom Nom don't talk with your mouth full.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Bah Humbug, the less well known problems of being blind

<qfydna4ntdz_OP__nZ2dnUU7-UfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9669&group=uk.rec.sheds#9669

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:53:42 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:53 UTC

Richard Robinson wrote:

> Tuck 'em inside a pair of british army N.I. issue boots, with the extra
> height, lace 'em up right, and you could go down to your knees in
> squishy ground for a good few seconds and still come up with dry feet.
>
> I miss the army & navy shops. Where's a chap supposed to buy a decent
> army and navy these days, eh ?

like everything else, online?

<https://army-shop.co.uk/product/northern-ireland-patrol-boots-dms>

I guess not many squadies wear size 6?