Don't look back, the lemmings are gaining on you.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / a queston for our northern brethern

SubjectAuthor
* a queston for our northern brethernfred
+- Re: a queston for our northern brethernGB
+* Re: a queston for our northern brethernNY
|+- Re: a queston for our northern brethernSam Plusnet
|`- Re: a queston for our northern brethernRod Speed
+* Re: a queston for our northern brethernColin Bignell
|`* Re: a queston for our northern brethernRod Speed
| `* Re: a queston for our northern brethernColin Bignell
|  `- Re: a queston for our northern brethernRod Speed
+* Re: a queston for our northern brethernBing AI
|`* Re: a queston for our northern brethernSam Plusnet
| +* Re: a queston for our northern brethernColin Bignell
| |+* Re: a queston for our northern brethernAndy Burns
| ||+- Re: a queston for our northern brethernRod Speed
| ||`* Re: a queston for our northern brethernColin Bignell
| || +* Re: a queston for our northern brethernBob Eager
| || `- Re: a queston for our northern brethernRod Speed
| |`- Re: a queston for our northern brethernSam Plusnet
| +* Re: a queston for our northern brethernRod Speed
| |`* Re: a queston for our northern brethernSam Plusnet
| | `- Re: a queston for our northern brethernRod Speed
| +* Re: a queston for our northern brethernNY
| |`- Re: a queston for our northern brethernSam Plusnet
| `- Re: a queston for our northern brethernfred
+* Re: a queston for our northern brethernRod Speed
|`* Re: a queston for our northern brethernIan Jackson
| `- Re: a queston for our northern brethernRod Speed
+- Re: a queston for our northern brethernRDS
+- Re: a queston for our northern brethernOttavio Caruso
+* Re: a queston for our northern brethernBrian Gaff
|`* Re: a queston for our northern brethernOttavio Caruso
| `- Re: a queston for our northern brethernColin Bignell
+* Re: a queston for our northern brethernDavid
|`- Re: a queston for our northern brethernSam Plusnet
+* Re: a queston for our northern brethernSam Plusnet
|`- Re: a queston for our northern brethernColin Bignell
`- Re: a queston for our northern brethernARW

Pages:12
a queston for our northern brethern

<5898c080-1cf3-4cb8-9f9d-42a78c62e933n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96008&group=uk.d-i-y#96008

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 07:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: a queston for our northern brethern
From: tpmcc...@gmail.com (fred)
 by: fred - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 14:01 UTC

In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<u1u55h$2p6lt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96009&group=uk.d-i-y#96009

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: a queston for our northern brethern
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 15:04:34 +0100
 by: GB - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 14:04 UTC

On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

They stayed awake all night.

Next question?

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<BrycnakVoMNqBd_5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96010&group=uk.d-i-y#96010

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 15:08:55 +0100
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: NY - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 14:08 UTC

On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

A very, very good question. And one that I've puzzled over too. Maybe
they chose knocker-uppers who were light sleepers and who would wake up
when a nearby church clock chimed the appropriate hour. Maybe
knocker-uppers *did* have alarm clocks (when was the technology
developed?) but these were too expensive for the majority of people to
afford, just the K-U who had an alarm clock bought for him by the factory.

I presume there was a social stigma to those addresses that were closest
to the K-U as those people would be woken up earliest as he did his
rounds and so would get less sleep than someone near the end of the
round. But then those who were woken earliest had chance for a less
hurried breakfast before they knew they had to set off.

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<PamdnXlMm4O0B9_5nZ2dnZeNn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96011&group=uk.d-i-y#96011

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 15:15:14 +0100
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 14:15 UTC

On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

The people who were woken employed the knocker-up, not the factory
owners. That is why they rapped on windows, rather than standing in the
street with a rattle or a whistle: they didn't want to wake anybody who
wasn't paying to be woken.

The knocker-up was a night shift worker, so slept by day.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<u1uh0f$2r29k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96025&group=uk.d-i-y#96025

From: bing...@example.com (Bing AI)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 18:26:40 +0100
 by: Bing AI - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 17:26 UTC

On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:

> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

That’s an interesting question! According to an article on The Vintage
News, it seems that some knocker-uppers stayed up all night until they
had finished their duties. However, there is no definitive answer as to
who woke up the knocker-uppers themselves. Eventually, around the 1920s,
reliable alarm clocks became affordable to the masses and the
knocker-upper was no longer needed [1].

[1]
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/12/23/before-alarm-clocks-there-was-a-profession-called-a-knocker-upper/

--
Bing AI

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<r8B0M.986184$S2l4.549324@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96029&group=uk.d-i-y#96029

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 20:05:59 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:05 UTC

On 21-Apr-23 15:08, NY wrote:
> On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
>> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
>> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
>> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?
>

> A very, very good question. And one that I've puzzled over too. Maybe
> they chose knocker-uppers who were light sleepers and who would wake up
> when a nearby church clock chimed the appropriate hour. Maybe
> knocker-uppers *did* have alarm clocks (when was the technology
> developed?) but these were too expensive for the majority of people to
> afford, just the K-U who had an alarm clock bought for him by the factory.
>
> I presume there was a social stigma to those addresses that were closest
> to the K-U as those people would be woken up earliest as he did his
> rounds and so would get less sleep than someone near the end of the
> round. But then those who were woken earliest had chance for a less
> hurried breakfast before they knew they had to set off.

Breakfast! Sheer luxury! Why in my day we....

(Cont'd page 97)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<RgB0M.986185$S2l4.568748@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96032&group=uk.d-i-y#96032

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 20:14:57 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:14 UTC

On 21-Apr-23 18:26, Bing AI wrote:
> On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
>
>> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
>> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
>> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?
>
> That’s an interesting question! According to an article on The Vintage
> News, it seems that some knocker-uppers stayed up all night until they
> had finished their duties. However, there is no definitive answer as to
> who woke up the knocker-uppers themselves. Eventually, around the 1920s,
> reliable alarm clocks became affordable to the masses and the
> knocker-upper was no longer needed [1].
>
> [1]
> https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/12/23/before-alarm-clocks-there-was-a-profession-called-a-knocker-upper/

I would question that "reliable alarm clocks" comment.

Even in the 1950s people would have to allow for their alarm clock
gaining or losing (maybe) 20 minutes or so overnight.
There was usually a tiny adjuster on the back of the clock, but even the
slightest touch would cause it to over/undershoot by a large margin.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<FSOdnS4b4OLGbd_5nZ2dnZeNn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96039&group=uk.d-i-y#96039

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 21:23:05 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 20:23 UTC

On 21/04/2023 20:14, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 21-Apr-23 18:26, Bing AI wrote:
>> On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
>>
>>> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
>>> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
>>> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?
>>
>> That’s an interesting question! According to an article on The Vintage
>> News, it seems that some knocker-uppers stayed up all night until they
>> had finished their duties. However, there is no definitive answer as
>> to who woke up the knocker-uppers themselves. Eventually, around the
>> 1920s, reliable alarm clocks became affordable to the masses and the
>> knocker-upper was no longer needed [1].
>>
>> [1]
>> https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/12/23/before-alarm-clocks-there-was-a-profession-called-a-knocker-upper/
>
> I would question that "reliable alarm clocks" comment.
>
> Even in the 1950s people would have to allow for their alarm clock
> gaining or losing (maybe) 20 minutes or so overnight.
> There was usually a tiny adjuster on the back of the clock, but even the
> slightest touch would cause it to over/undershoot by a large margin.

It is as well that knockers-up were still working into the 1970s then.
Gas lamp lighters, however, I don't remember after the 1950s.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<op.13r0oxuebyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96050&group=uk.d-i-y#96050

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:23:11 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:23 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:01:04 +1000, fred <tpmccann@gmail.com> wrote:

> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

Not everyone needs anything to wake them up.

I never did. I did set an alarm before flying out first thing
in the morning, but never actually had it wake me up,
I always woke up before the alarm went off.

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<op.13r0vepcbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96051&group=uk.d-i-y#96051

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:27:04 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:27 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:08:55 +1000, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
>> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
>> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
>> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

> A very, very good question. And one that I've puzzled over too. Maybe
> they chose knocker-uppers who were light sleepers and who would wake up
> when a nearby church clock chimed the appropriate hour.

I never had anything to wake me up and while I did set
an alarm for aircraft flights first thing in the morning,
I always woke up before the alarm went off.

I was never a light sleeper and never had any church clock that chimed the
hour.

> Maybe knocker-uppers *did* have alarm clocks (when was the technology
> developed?) but these were too expensive for the majority of people to
> afford, just the K-U who had an alarm clock bought for him by the
> factory.

> I presume there was a social stigma to those addresses that were closest
> to the K-U as those people would be woken up earliest as he did his
> rounds and so would get less sleep than someone near the end of the
> round. But then those who were woken earliest had chance for a less
> hurried breakfast before they knew they had to set off.

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<op.13r1aydubyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96052&group=uk.d-i-y#96052

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:36:24 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:36 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:15:14 +1000, Colin Bignell
<cpb@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote:

> On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
>> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
>> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
>> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?
>
> The people who were woken employed the knocker-up, not the factory
> owners. That is why they rapped on windows, rather than standing in the
> street with a rattle or a whistle: they didn't want to wake anybody who
> wasn't paying to be woken.
>
> The knocker-up was a night shift worker, so slept by day.

Doesnt explain how they could be knocking up before their night shift
ended.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocker-up

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<op.13r39zy4byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96053&group=uk.d-i-y#96053

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:40:37 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 01:40 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 05:14:57 +1000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 21-Apr-23 18:26, Bing AI wrote:
>> On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
>>
>>> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
>>> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
>>> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?
>> That’s an interesting question! According to an article on The Vintage
>> News, it seems that some knocker-uppers stayed up all night until they
>> had finished their duties. However, there is no definitive answer as to
>> who woke up the knocker-uppers themselves. Eventually, around the
>> 1920s, reliable alarm clocks became affordable to the masses and the
>> knocker-upper was no longer needed [1].
>> [1]
>> https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/12/23/before-alarm-clocks-there-was-a-profession-called-a-knocker-upper/
>
> I would question that "reliable alarm clocks" comment.
>
> Even in the 1950s people would have to allow for their alarm clock
> gaining or losing (maybe) 20 minutes or so overnight.

BULLSHIT. None of ours ever did anything like that.

> There was usually a tiny adjuster on the back of the clock, but even the
> slightest touch would cause it to over/undershoot by a large margin.

BULLSHIT.

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<kahcrjFeo3mU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96055&group=uk.d-i-y#96055

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 07:23:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 06:23 UTC

Colin Bignell wrote:

> It is as well that knockers-up were still working into the 1970s then.
> Gas lamp lighters, however, I don't remember after the 1950s.

I remember factories up to the 70's having their own siren to call-in
the workers.

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<op.13sh42sibyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96056&group=uk.d-i-y#96056

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 16:40:04 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 06:40 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote
> Colin Bignell wrote

>> It is as well that knockers-up were still working into the 1970s then.
>> Gas lamp lighters, however, I don't remember after the 1950s.

> I remember factories up to the 70's having their own siren to call-in
> the workers.

That's too late to wake them up.

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<nliDEzDki4QkFwth@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96057&group=uk.d-i-y#96057

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 08:11:32 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 07:11 UTC

In message <op.13r0oxuebyq249@pvr2.lan>, Rod Speed
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> writes
>On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:01:04 +1000, fred <tpmccann@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
>>employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
>> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?
>
>Not everyone needs anything to wake them up.
>
>I never did. I did set an alarm before flying out first thing
>in the morning, but never actually had it wake me up,
>I always woke up before the alarm went off.

When you know you have something important on, and have to get up
earlier than usual, it's probably fairly usual to sleep lightly, and to
wake up well before the alarm goes off. You may get up earlier, and
forget to switch the alarm off - and it goes off when you're having your
breakfast.
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<VpKcneVELqhmFd75nZ2dnZeNn_tg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96059&group=uk.d-i-y#96059

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 08:13:11 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 07:13 UTC

On 22/04/2023 01:36, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 00:15:14 +1000, Colin Bignell
> <cpb@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
>>> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
>>> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
>>> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?
>>
>> The people who were woken employed the knocker-up, not the factory
>> owners. That is why they rapped on windows, rather than standing in
>> the street with a rattle or a whistle: they didn't want to wake
>> anybody who wasn't paying to be woken.
>>
>> The knocker-up was a night shift worker, so slept by day.
>
> Doesnt explain how they could be knocking up before their night shift
> ended.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocker-up

It does, if you understand that they were only employed as a knocker-up
and that was what they were working a night shift on.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<VpKcneRELqh9FN75nZ2dnZeNn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96060&group=uk.d-i-y#96060

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 08:17:00 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 07:17 UTC

On 22/04/2023 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
> Colin Bignell wrote:
>
>> It is as well that knockers-up were still working into the 1970s then.
>> Gas lamp lighters, however, I don't remember after the 1950s.
>
> I remember factories up to the 70's having their own siren to call-in
> the workers.

I was under the impression that those were used to mark shift start and
finish times.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<5mKdnZr9_NYdCd75nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96063&group=uk.d-i-y#96063

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 09:02:07 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 08:02 UTC

On 21/04/2023 20:14, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> Even in the 1950s people would have to allow for their alarm clock
> gaining or losing (maybe) 20 minutes or so overnight.
> There was usually a tiny adjuster on the back of the clock, but even the
> slightest touch would cause it to over/undershoot by a large margin.

Sounds very odd. Clockwork clocks have never gained or lost *that* much
for me - 20 minutes overnight (eg 11 PM to 7 AM) is a very large error.
Or was there something about the alarm mechanism in early alarm clocks
which made them inherently less accurate or harder to adjust than normal
time-of-day clocks?

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<u206am$370v1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96069&group=uk.d-i-y#96069

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (RDS)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 09:36:38 +0100
 by: RDS - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 08:36 UTC

On 21/04/2023 15:01, fred wrote:
> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

His wife?

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<u209qc$37gsa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96082&group=uk.d-i-y#96082

From: ottavio2...@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 09:36:12 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 09:36 UTC

Am 21/04/2023 um 14:01 schrieb fred:
> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

Is that before humankind moved from hunting/gathering to sedentism?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<kahqh7Fq6ffU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96083&group=uk.d-i-y#96083

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Apr 2023 10:17:11 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:17 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 08:17:00 +0100, Colin Bignell wrote:

> On 22/04/2023 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Colin Bignell wrote:
>>
>>> It is as well that knockers-up were still working into the 1970s then.
>>> Gas lamp lighters, however, I don't remember after the 1950s.
>>
>> I remember factories up to the 70's having their own siren to call-in
>> the workers.
>>
> I was under the impression that those were used to mark shift start and
> finish times.

Yes, prertty sure I remember that happening not far from me, and I'd hear
the one for the afternoon shift change. That was in Colchester (Ruston
Paxman).

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<kahr2vFgth5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96085&group=uk.d-i-y#96085

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:26:39 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 10:26 UTC

Bob Eager wrote:

> Colin Bignell wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> I remember factories up to the 70's having their own siren to call-in
>>> the workers.
>>>
>> I was under the impression that those were used to mark shift start and
>> finish times.
>
> Yes, prertty sure I remember that happening not far from me, and I'd hear
> the one for the afternoon shift change. That was in Colchester (Ruston
> Paxman).

This wasn't a huge place with shifts, just a sawmill and box/crate
factory siren before the work day, guess everyone had to know how many
minutes after the siren they had to leave home ...

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<u20gej$38ja2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96091&group=uk.d-i-y#96091

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:29:18 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:29 UTC

Maybe he used an alarm clock powered by an hourglass?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"fred" <tpmccann@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<u20p53$39u53$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96100&group=uk.d-i-y#96100

From: ottavio2...@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:57:55 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:57 UTC

Am 22/04/2023 um 11:29 schrieb Brian Gaff:
> Maybe he used an alarm clock powered by an hourglass?
> Brian

Asking for a friend, you guys in Angloshire never had roosters as low
tech alarm clocks? Or is it something only vile Continentals do?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: a queston for our northern brethern

<kaikf0Fih3nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96129&group=uk.d-i-y#96129

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Apr 2023 17:39:44 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 17:39 UTC

On Fri, 21 Apr 2023 07:01:04 -0700, fred wrote:

> In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners
> employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up.
> My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?

There was a knocker upper knocker upper.
and for them, a knocker upper knocker upper knocker upper.

[Basically turtles all the way down.]

Cheers

Dave r