I've looked at the listing, and it's right! -- Joel Halpern

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxes

SubjectAuthor
* Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
+* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesAndy Burns
|`* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
| `* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesAndrew
|  `- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesOwain Lastname
+* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
|`* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesJohn Rumm
| +* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesTheo
| |`- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
| `- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
+* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesSteveW
|`* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
| `- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesSteveW
+* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesRobin
|`- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
+* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesTheo
|`* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
| +* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesGB
| |`- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
| `* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesTheo
|  `- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
+- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesAnimal
`* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesBrian Gaff
 +* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
 |`* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesJohn Rumm
 | `* Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
 |  `- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesChris Green
 `- Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxesSteveW

Pages:12
Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxes

<2oonhj-im49.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96520&group=uk.d-i-y#96520

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxes
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 15:23:30 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 14:23 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 26/04/2023 09:00, Chris Green wrote:
> > Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Does it really matter inside? I mean you still will have an ugly wire coming
> >> to it.
> >
> > It matters as it has to be 'finger safe', one can't have an
> > unprotected back of a socket touchable.
>
> I think I would make up a template to guide a router, and hollow out the
> panel to a depth of say 10mm, then fit your socket into that hollow
> using a couple of:
>
> https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG818.html
>
> To give enough room for wiring and still keep it all fully enclosed.

Hmm, the panels are a variety of thicknesses, the obvious ones I can
think of at the moment (this is all on a boat in France) are only 10mm
thick so it's hardly work hollowing them out.

Also I want the sockets to be as flush as possible and probably brass
or bronze finish.

The one's I'm particularly thinking of are to be mounted in the under
seat storage space, sockets facing out into the leg space (so you want
them as flush as possible) and backs inside the storage space (so need
to be safe to store things around).

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxes

<8tqnhj-bna9.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96527&group=uk.d-i-y#96527

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 16:00:24 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 15:00 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> > >
> > > It matters as it has to be 'finger safe', one can't have an
> > > unprotected back of a socket touchable.
> >
> > I think I would make up a template to guide a router, and hollow out the
> > panel to a depth of say 10mm, then fit your socket into that hollow
> > using a couple of:
> >
> > https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG818.html
> >
> > To give enough room for wiring and still keep it all fully enclosed.
> >
> Hmm, the panels are a variety of thicknesses, the obvious ones I can
> think of at the moment (this is all on a boat in France) are only 10mm
> thick so it's hardly work hollowing them out.
.... hardly worth hollowing ...

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Looking for 'pretty' backboxes or pattress boxes

<u2bgun$1egto$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96532&group=uk.d-i-y#96532

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 16:45:26 +0100
 by: SteveW - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 15:45 UTC

On 26/04/2023 08:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Does it really matter inside? I mean you still will have an ugly wire coming
> to it.
> As an aside, and I do not know if these ever caught on, but there were
> surface mount boxes made that were a bit wider and taller that had pretty
> multicoloured LEDs inside to help folk find the light switch in the dark.
> Probably found upon these environmentally friendly days. They kind of
> reminded me of those boy racer cars all blinged up underneath with purple
> leds.
> Since I lost my sight, I obviously cannot tell if these things still exist.
> Brian

You used to be able to buy surrounds or finger plates that fitted
between the box and the switch-plate, with a neon to light it. However,
they no longer work, as they relied upon obtaining a neutral through the
switched off filament lamp. LED lamps don't conduct enough when off.