aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

SubjectAuthor
* Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.aprilsweetheartrose.
+- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Jeff Gaines
+* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.John Rumm
|+- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.SH
|`- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.RJH
+* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.alan_m
|+- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Mike Clarke
|`- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Thomas Prufer
+- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Harry Bloomfield Esq
+- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.S Viemeister
+- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Scott
+* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Fredxx
|+* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.John Rumm
||`* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Andrew
|| +* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Fredxx
|| |`* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.alan_m
|| | `* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.aprilsweetheartrose.
|| |  `- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.alan_m
|| `- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.aprilsweetheartrose.
|`- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Robin
`* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Brian Gaff
 `* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.aprilsweetheartrose.
  +* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Tricky Dicky
  |`* Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.aprilsweetheartrose.
  | `- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.alan_m
  `- Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.Andrew

Pages:12
Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<daae9f14-4e05-4c5c-a1ac-44932b677e0an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99979&group=uk.d-i-y#99979

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 03:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.
From: aprilswe...@gmail.com (aprilsweetheartrose.)
 by: aprilsweetheartrose. - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:58 UTC

I have tried just about everything on this wall. It had pained woodchip over fifty years old. I got that off. Under it was a lining paper ( or even two layers of lining paper - and in some places what looks like cardboard lining paper. I have done all the usual but it seems that the glue or paste used is extraordinarily difficult. It just keeps sticking to the wall and I cannot shift this lining paper. Can someone suggest a way to do this? Something stronger than detergent or zissiner diff that will go through the paper and dissolve the paste? I have been at this five days now and have managed half of one ten foot wall so far. Thanks.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<xn0o4zstt1g5r1j003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99980&group=uk.d-i-y#99980

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.
Date: 31 Jul 2023 11:05:34 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:05 UTC

On 31/07/2023 in message
aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:

>I have tried just about everything on this wall. It had pained woodchip
>over fifty years old. I got that off. Under it was a lining paper ( or
>even two layers of lining paper - and in some places what looks like
>cardboard lining paper. I have done all the usual but it seems that the
>glue or paste used is extraordinarily difficult. It just keeps sticking to
>the wall and I cannot shift this lining paper. Can someone suggest a way
>to do this? Something stronger than detergent or zissiner diff that will
>go through the paper and dissolve the paste? I have been at this five
>days now and have managed half of one ten foot wall so far. Thanks.

Have you tired a wallpaper steamer? I had to get 7 layers of paper of bare
plasterboard once so it could be plastered and the steamer was a god send.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<ua865v$38t5e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99984&group=uk.d-i-y#99984

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 12:33:19 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:33 UTC

On 31/07/2023 11:58, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
> I have tried just about everything on this wall. It had pained woodchip over fifty years old. I got that off. Under it was a lining paper ( or even two layers of lining paper - and in some places what looks like cardboard lining paper. I have done all the usual but it seems that the glue or paste used is extraordinarily difficult. It just keeps sticking to the wall and I cannot shift this lining paper. Can someone suggest a way to do this? Something stronger than detergent or zissiner diff that will go through the paper and dissolve the paste? I have been at this five days now and have managed half of one ten foot wall so far. Thanks.

Rough up / score the surface, and use a steam stripper - that normally
does it.

Using a proper paper stripping scraper helps greatly.

Like:

https://www.toolstation.com/prep-heavy-duty-scraper/p29412

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<ua878f$38mj5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99987&group=uk.d-i-y#99987

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 12:51:42 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:51 UTC

On 31/07/2023 12:33, John Rumm wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 11:58, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
>> I have tried just about everything on this wall.   It had pained
>> woodchip over fifty years old. I got that off.  Under it was a lining
>> paper ( or even two layers of lining paper - and in some places what
>> looks like cardboard lining paper.  I have done all the usual  but it
>> seems that the  glue or paste used is extraordinarily difficult. It
>> just keeps sticking to the wall and  I cannot shift this lining
>> paper.  Can someone suggest a way to do this? Something  stronger than
>> detergent or zissiner diff that will go through the paper and dissolve
>> the paste?  I have been at this five days now and have managed half of
>> one ten foot wall so far.  Thanks.
>
> Rough up / score the surface, and use a steam stripper - that normally
> does it.
>
> Using a proper paper stripping scraper helps greatly.
>
> Like:
>
> https://www.toolstation.com/prep-heavy-duty-scraper/p29412

agreed with +1.

Be aware if you have what I had in the current house which is internally
rendered walls which were then skimmed over with skimming plaster.

The heat and steam caused the 3 mm skim plaster to literally fall off
the render.

I ended up chiselling off the render and having proper two layer plaster
put on to the clinker blockwork wall.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<ua87j8$3923r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99988&group=uk.d-i-y#99988

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:57:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:57 UTC

On 31 Jul 2023 at 12:33:19 BST, John Rumm wrote:

> Using a proper paper stripping scraper helps greatly.
>
> Like:
>
> https://www.toolstation.com/prep-heavy-duty-scraper/p29412

Marvellous things. Just been using mine to scrape off laminate flooring
underlay that wouldn't budge.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<kipt15F3vndU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99994&group=uk.d-i-y#99994

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:59:01 +0100
 by: alan_m - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:59 UTC

On 31/07/2023 11:58, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
> I have tried just about everything on this wall. It had pained woodchip over fifty years old. I got that off. Under it was a lining paper ( or even two layers of lining paper - and in some places what looks like cardboard lining paper. I have done all the usual but it seems that the glue or paste used is extraordinarily difficult. It just keeps sticking to the wall and I cannot shift this lining paper. Can someone suggest a way to do this? Something stronger than detergent or zissiner diff that will go through the paper and dissolve the paste? I have been at this five days now and have managed half of one ten foot wall so far. Thanks.

Get it completely damp/wet for an hour, without letting it dry out,
before even attempting to remove it.

DO NOT try and scrape off until you have let the water fully penetrate.
Time and water is your ally.

If it's not painted then water laced with washing up detergent will get
it off. The trick is to use a garden sprayer, damp down the whole wall,
wait 10 minutes and damp it down again, and repeat for the next 30 to 60
minutes. The wall may have been PVA'd before the wall was pasted and
this may/will have combined with the wall paper paste and the PVA needs
to remain damp for a fairly lengthy period.

You may/will need to use towels at the floor level to mop up runoff from
the wall.

The trick with painted wood chip is similar. Use a scraper to knock off
some of the surface wood chips which reveals tiny bits of unpainted
paper beneath. The keep soaking it for at least 30 minutes. Most of the
water will run off the painted surface but a lot will get to the exposed
paper and under the paint. Use the scraper to remove tiny bits of the
wetted paper and repeat the process. The second cycle should get most of
the paper off. Don't try to remove the stubborn or un-wetted bits until
after a second cycle of wetting/scraping.

I've also found it handy to file/grind the edge of the scraper to a
sharp knife edge or use one of the scrapers with the changeable sharp
blades.

Last year i used this method on two rooms with multi-layer paint on wood
chip with thick lining paper underneath.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<ua8eoi$37edt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99995&group=uk.d-i-y#99995

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:59:48 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:59 UTC

On 31/07/2023 11:58, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
> I have tried just about everything on this wall. It had pained woodchip over fifty years old. I got that off. Under it was a lining paper ( or even two layers of lining paper - and in some places what looks like cardboard lining paper. I have done all the usual but it seems that the glue or paste used is extraordinarily difficult. It just keeps sticking to the wall and I cannot shift this lining paper. Can someone suggest a way to do this? Something stronger than detergent or zissiner diff that will go through the paper and dissolve the paste? I have been at this five days now and have managed half of one ten foot wall so far. Thanks.

Try a wallpaper steamer. Also lots of sources of steam in the room,
boiling kettles. Make extra cuts in the paper, so the moisture can more
easily penetrate in. Soak it, leave doors and windows closed, then come
back to it after several hours.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<ua8hf2$3a1kt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99998&group=uk.d-i-y#99998

From: jmc...@milibyte.co.uk (Mike Clarke)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:45:54 +0000
 by: Mike Clarke - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:45 UTC

On 31/07/2023 13:59, alan_m wrote:
> Get it completely damp/wet for an hour, without letting it dry out,
> before even attempting to remove it.
>
> DO NOT try and scrape off until you have let the water fully penetrate.
> Time and water is your ally.
>
> If it's not painted then water laced with washing up detergent will get
> it off. The trick is to use a garden sprayer, damp down the whole wall,
> wait 10 minutes and damp it down again, and repeat for the next 30 to 60
> minutes.  The wall may have been PVA'd before the wall was pasted and
> this may/will have combined with the wall paper paste and the PVA needs
> to remain damp for a fairly lengthy period.

+1

A good long soak with water has always worked for me.

--
Mike Clarke

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<kiq06hF4g6bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99999&group=uk.d-i-y#99999

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:53:05 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:53 UTC

On 31/07/2023 11:58, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
> I have tried just about everything on this wall. It had pained woodchip over fifty years old. I got that off. Under it was a lining paper ( or even two layers of lining paper - and in some places what looks like cardboard lining paper. I have done all the usual but it seems that the glue or paste used is extraordinarily difficult. It just keeps sticking to the wall and I cannot shift this lining paper. Can someone suggest a way to do this? Something stronger than detergent or zissiner diff that will go through the paper and dissolve the paste? I have been at this five days now and have managed half of one ten foot wall so far. Thanks.

I've had good luck using a 'tiger' paper scorer (so that the water can
penetrate the paper), applying hot soapy water, letting it soak in
(often needs more than one soaking), then scraping off with a sharp blade.
It's tedious work, but it does eventually come off.
Taping a tarp along the wall, and placing old towels along the edge, can
help make cleanup easier.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<doifci9lv532g2q9dikeiul19kt3h3l4i2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100000&group=uk.d-i-y#100000

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:54:56 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:54 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 03:58:16 -0700 (PDT), "aprilsweetheartrose."
<aprilsweetheartrose@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have tried just about everything on this wall. It had pained woodchip over fifty years old. I got that off. Under it was a lining paper ( or even two layers of lining paper - and in some places what looks like cardboard lining paper. I have done all the usual but it seems that the glue or paste used is extraordinarily difficult. It just keeps sticking to the wall and I cannot shift this lining paper. Can someone suggest a way to do this? Something stronger than detergent or zissiner diff that will go through the paper and dissolve the paste? I have been at this five days now and have managed half of one ten foot wall so far. Thanks.

This rather begs the question: if it is this solid, why not just
redecorate over it?

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<ua8mrp$3aip9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100002&group=uk.d-i-y#100002

From: fre...@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 17:18:01 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 16:18 UTC

On 31/07/2023 11:58, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
> and in some places what
> looks like cardboard lining paper.

I have come across a plaster wall there the plasterboard hasn't been
skimmed, you might find the cardboard lining paper is actually plasterboard.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<ua8qt4$3b3v3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100004&group=uk.d-i-y#100004

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 18:27:00 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 17:27 UTC

On 31/07/2023 17:18, Fredxx wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 11:58, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
>> and in some places what
>> looks like cardboard lining paper.
>
> I have come across a plaster wall there the plasterboard hasn't been
> skimmed, you might find the cardboard lining paper is actually
> plasterboard.

Yup that is a good point... if the lining paper has Knauf or Gyproc
printed on it from time to time, that might be a good clue!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<93a27663-ec13-aae6-c1fc-2e09849110e2@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100008&group=uk.d-i-y#100008

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 20:23:59 +0100
 by: Robin - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 19:23 UTC

On 31/07/2023 17:18, Fredxx wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 11:58, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
>> and in some places what
>> looks like cardboard lining paper.
>
> I have come across a plaster wall there the plasterboard hasn't been
> skimmed, you might find the cardboard lining paper is actually
> plasterboard.

+1

--
Robin

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<ua9214$3c1p6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100009&group=uk.d-i-y#100009

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 20:28:34 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 19:28 UTC

On 31/07/2023 18:27, John Rumm wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 17:18, Fredxx wrote:
>> On 31/07/2023 11:58, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
>>> and in some places what
>>> looks like cardboard lining paper.
>>
>> I have come across a plaster wall there the plasterboard hasn't been
>> skimmed, you might find the cardboard lining paper is actually
>> plasterboard.
>
> Yup that is a good point... if the lining paper has Knauf or Gyproc
> printed on it from time to time, that might be a good clue!

Going by her previous posts, I think this is a decades-old
damp-prone extended bungalow in Cornwall, so probably not dry-lined.

It might, however have been built with 'Mundic' blocks.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/housing/private-housing/cornwall-responsible-landlord-scheme/a-guide-to-mundic-block/

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<438gcitri65ggo112mldig3f2nfvk11ai5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100011&group=uk.d-i-y#100011

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 23:01:01 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 21:01 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:59:01 +0100, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>Get it completely damp/wet for an hour, without letting it dry out,
>before even attempting to remove it.
>
>DO NOT try and scrape off until you have let the water fully penetrate.
>Time and water is your ally.
>
>If it's not painted then water laced with washing up detergent will get
>it off. The trick is to use a garden sprayer, damp down the whole wall,
>wait 10 minutes and damp it down again, and repeat for the next 30 to 60
>minutes. The wall may have been PVA'd before the wall was pasted and
>this may/will have combined with the wall paper paste and the PVA needs
>to remain damp for a fairly lengthy period.
>
>You may/will need to use towels at the floor level to mop up runoff from
>the wall.
>
>The trick with painted wood chip is similar. Use a scraper to knock off
>some of the surface wood chips which reveals tiny bits of unpainted
>paper beneath. The keep soaking it for at least 30 minutes. Most of the
>water will run off the painted surface but a lot will get to the exposed
>paper and under the paint. Use the scraper to remove tiny bits of the
>wetted paper and repeat the process. The second cycle should get most of
>the paper off. Don't try to remove the stubborn or un-wetted bits until
>after a second cycle of wetting/scraping.
>
>I've also found it handy to file/grind the edge of the scraper to a
>sharp knife edge or use one of the scrapers with the changeable sharp
>blades.
>
>Last year i used this method on two rooms with multi-layer paint on wood
>chip with thick lining paper underneath.

Wot e said.

If that still isn't enough, mix thin wallpaper paste, and with that paste that
very thin dropsheet plastic to the wet wall with lots of paste. The plastic will
seal the moisture in, letting it penetrate for longer (many hours).

Thomas Prufer

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<ua9c88$3d9gf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100014&group=uk.d-i-y#100014

From: fre...@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 23:23:04 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 22:23 UTC

On 31/07/2023 20:28, Andrew wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 18:27, John Rumm wrote:
>>>
>>> I have come across a plaster wall there the plasterboard hasn't been
>>> skimmed, you might find the cardboard lining paper is actually
>>> plasterboard.
>>
>> Yup that is a good point... if the lining paper has Knauf or Gyproc
>> printed on it from time to time, that might be a good clue!
>>

> Going by her previous posts, I think this is a decades-old
> damp-prone extended bungalow in Cornwall, so probably not dry-lined.
>
> It might, however have been built with 'Mundic' blocks.
>
> https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/housing/private-housing/cornwall-responsible-landlord-scheme/a-guide-to-mundic-block/

While I agree with you, the more likelihood is dot and dab to hide any
wall defects. If the person to do this is a cheapskate then this its
even more likely to be only a light skim just over taped joints.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<kirpc1FehtjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100015&group=uk.d-i-y#100015

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 08:08:50 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 07:08 UTC

On 31/07/2023 23:23, Fredxx wrote:

> While I agree with you, the more likelihood is dot and dab to hide any
> wall defects. If the person to do this is a cheapskate then this its
> even more likely to be only a light skim just over taped joints.

A wall with woodchip is unlikely to have been plaster boarded. Thick
lining paper with woodchip was the standard way 30 years ago for hiding
defects on walls. These days its likely to blown vinyl wallpaper used
to hide similar defects.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<uad3ao$3p2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100044&group=uk.d-i-y#100044

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:15:17 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:15 UTC

In some cases you just have to don your protective clothing and get out the
sander.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"aprilsweetheartrose." <aprilsweetheartrose@gmail.com> wrote in message
I have tried just about everything on this wall. It had pained woodchip
over fifty years old. I got that off. Under it was a lining paper ( or even
two layers of lining paper - and in some places what looks like cardboard
lining paper. I have done all the usual but it seems that the glue or
paste used is extraordinarily difficult. It just keeps sticking to the wall
and I cannot shift this lining paper. Can someone suggest a way to do
this? Something stronger than detergent or zissiner diff that will go
through the paper and dissolve the paste? I have been at this five days now
and have managed half of one ten foot wall so far. Thanks.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<cc1400f2-ea9c-418f-b87a-cf3654f211efn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100053&group=uk.d-i-y#100053

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 02:37:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: aprilswe...@gmail.com (aprilsweetheartrose.)
 by: aprilsweetheartrose. - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:37 UTC

On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 8:28:41 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 18:27, John Rumm wrote:
> >>
> >> I have come across a plaster wall there the plasterboard hasn't been
> >> skimmed, you might find the cardboard lining paper is actually
> >> plasterboard.
> >
> > Yup that is a good point... if the lining paper has Knauf or Gyproc
> > printed on it from time to time, that might be a good clue!
> >
> Going by her previous posts, I think this is a decades-old
> damp-prone extended bungalow in Cornwall, so probably not dry-lined.
>
> It might, however have been built with 'Mundic' blocks.
>
> https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/housing/private-housing/cornwall-responsible-landlord-scheme/a-guide-to-mundic-block/
Its not mundic. Its been tested and besides it was built in 1960, so outside the mundic time. However, I will admit, it does look as if it was built in some 1920's style ( I have all the plans and permissions from 1958 so I know the details of construction).

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<faab8248-a478-46d5-b60f-e2c998eca7a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100054&group=uk.d-i-y#100054

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 02:38:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: aprilswe...@gmail.com (aprilsweetheartrose.)
 by: aprilsweetheartrose. - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:38 UTC

On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 8:08:55 AM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 23:23, Fredxx wrote:
>
> > While I agree with you, the more likelihood is dot and dab to hide any
> > wall defects. If the person to do this is a cheapskate then this its
> > even more likely to be only a light skim just over taped joints.
> >
> A wall with woodchip is unlikely to have been plaster boarded. Thick
> lining paper with woodchip was the standard way 30 years ago for hiding
> defects on walls. These days its likely to blown vinyl wallpaper used
> to hide similar defects.
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
The "Defect" in the wall was where they ripped out electric wiring and the dado rails and re plastered. I can see it now the woodchip is off but the under lining is a right so and so , it wont come off. Wet it and it just reglues itself as it dries.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<6ae88bbb-c0a5-4ac1-bc44-e985aafae6fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100059&group=uk.d-i-y#100059

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 03:03:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: aprilswe...@gmail.com (aprilsweetheartrose.)
 by: aprilsweetheartrose. - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:03 UTC

On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 9:15:25 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> In some cases you just have to don your protective clothing and get out the
> sander.
>
> Brian
>
> --

Well I have wondered about that. I have done other rooms ( the whole place is covered in woodchip wallpaper from a re vamp in the 1970's - everyone since seems to have left it or painted over it. I decided that the time had come to cure all the damp once and for all and I am stripping back to the walls. They are generally fine bar re plastering over dado rails which seem to have been removed from all rooms. ( I wish they hadnt. I always liked dado rails). This room is proving to be a real bar steward. I was toying with the idea of sanding off ( with sand paper ) the excess lining and just making it as smooth as possible and then just painting over it and hoping it doesn't show. I have got a lot off but some of it is plain stubborn.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<uada51$ta5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100061&group=uk.d-i-y#100061

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:11:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:P6MNpD7E49ko9nUUsIwmbgP4u9E=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:11 UTC

aprilsweetheartrose. <aprilsweetheartrose@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 9:15:25 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> In some cases you just have to don your protective clothing and get out the
>> sander.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>>

> Well I have wondered about that. I have done other rooms ( the whole
> place is covered in woodchip wallpaper from a re vamp in the 1970's -
> everyone since seems to have left it or painted over it. I decided that
> the time had come to cure all the damp once and for all and I am
> stripping back to the walls. They are generally fine bar re plastering
> over dado rails which seem to have been removed from all rooms. ( I wish
> they hadnt. I always liked dado rails). This room is proving to be a real
> bar steward. I was toying with the idea of sanding off ( with sand paper
> ) the excess lining and just making it as smooth as possible and then
> just painting over it and hoping it doesn't show. I have got a lot off
> but some of it is plain stubborn.

It has been suggested several times you hire a wallpaper steamer, have you
tried one? I have never failed with a steamer even on old several times
over painted wood chip. A good scarifying of the wood chip surface and the
steamer does the rest.

Richard

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<kiuor6FtafmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100063&group=uk.d-i-y#100063

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 11:18:15 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:18 UTC

On 02/08/2023 10:38, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 8:08:55 AM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
>> On 31/07/2023 23:23, Fredxx wrote:
>>
>>> While I agree with you, the more likelihood is dot and dab to hide any
>>> wall defects. If the person to do this is a cheapskate then this its
>>> even more likely to be only a light skim just over taped joints.
>>>
>> A wall with woodchip is unlikely to have been plaster boarded. Thick
>> lining paper with woodchip was the standard way 30 years ago for hiding
>> defects on walls. These days its likely to blown vinyl wallpaper used
>> to hide similar defects.
>> --
>> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
> The "Defect" in the wall was where they ripped out electric wiring and the dado rails and re plastered. I can see it now the woodchip is off but the under lining is a right so and so , it wont come off. Wet it and it just reglues itself as it dries.

As pointed out by a few people - don't let it dry out if you want to get
it off, Onbe application of water is insufficient, especially during the
hotter summer months.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<a989a5f1-ffe4-4dc9-9c95-0fc7d1ce03a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100092&group=uk.d-i-y#100092

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:04:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: aprilswe...@gmail.com (aprilsweetheartrose.)
 by: aprilsweetheartrose. - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:04 UTC

On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 11:11:50 AM UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> aprilsweetheartrose. <aprilswee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It has been suggested several times you hire a wallpaper steamer, have you
> tried one? I have never failed with a steamer even on old several times
> over painted wood chip. A good scarifying of the wood chip surface and the
> steamer does the rest.
>
> Richard
I have given it the stream treatment. That was the first go to. It took off the wood chip, not the lining paper. The lining paper is not complete , its handing around it parts. Thats what I am struggling with. I have a good amount of lining paper off but it seems to be stubborn on the bottom of the wall and around the area where the dado rail was taken down and the wall made good.

Re: Getting lining paper off wall - desperate.

<kiviboF2o7gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100114&group=uk.d-i-y#100114

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:33:44 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 17:33 UTC

On 02/08/2023 16:04, aprilsweetheartrose. wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 11:11:50 AM UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> aprilsweetheartrose. <aprilswee...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It has been suggested several times you hire a wallpaper steamer, have you
>> tried one? I have never failed with a steamer even on old several times
>> over painted wood chip. A good scarifying of the wood chip surface and the
>> steamer does the rest.
>>
>> Richard
> I have given it the stream treatment. That was the first go to. It took off the wood chip, not the lining paper. The lining paper is not complete , its handing around it parts. Thats what I am struggling with. I have a good amount of lining paper off but it seems to be stubborn on the bottom of the wall and around the area where the dado rail was taken down and the wall made good.

As hinted at before - a plaster repair has probably been sealed with PVA
which when re-wetted with the wall paper paste has combined and resulted
in a much stronger glue. It needs to remain wet for a long time -
perhaps an hour or more without drying out again.