From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Microsnot is forcing us to buy new PC's!
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 23:37:31 +1000
<ikkk30F8oquU1@mid.individual.net> <ikkma7F968rU1@mid.individual.net>
<ikmg8pFk0i0U1@mid.individual.net> <sc8836$lc8$3@dont-email.me>
<ikpspfF97scU2@mid.individual.net> <ikq1hjFa4c0U1@mid.individual.net>
<ikq74cFb39vU1@mid.individual.net> <ikqj02FdbljU1@mid.individual.net>
<ikqm6bFdt42U2@mid.individual.net> <sccc8e$co1$4@dont-email.me>
<ikuv7fF8jmiU1@mid.individual.net> <ikv5lnF9nevU1@mid.individual.net>
<ikvlcqFche5U1@mid.individual.net> <ikvncoFcssoU1@mid.individual.net>
<ikvs5jFdourU1@mid.individual.net> <ikvvneFee3jU1@mid.individual.net>
<il07b4FfrlrU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Xeno - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 13:37 UTC

On 11/7/21 10:43 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 11/07/2021 8:33 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> Hardlty a niche, that area was IBMs main business.
>>
>> A niche compared to the general PC market they no longer had *any
>> control* over.
>>
> I think that you under-estimate the value of the mainframe market. Just
> our 3 year maintenance contract to look after Westpacs mainframe
> equipment was worth about $40M.

I don't underestimate *that* market at all. I, like most others, have no
experience nor involvement with it and, likely, very little interest as
well. I do have friends who do, however, including one notable who spent
8 years as a contractor at NAB head office in Melbourne. His speciality
was, and is, Unix on mainframes and minis. He has contracted with many
of the large corporations in his career. I gained a lot of insight into
that segment of the market from him and others. That still misses my
point. IBM wanted a much greater share of the *desktop* computer market,
both home and office. Please don't try to tell me that the desktop
computer market was *small* back in the 80s and 90s. It was *huge* and
expanding at a great rate of knots. It was why they brought out the IBM
PC in the first place but the open architecture was their undoing. IBM
tried to get back into it after they lost out to the IBM clones. They
tried to get that back with the PS/2 and Microchannel architecture - and
failed miserably.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Microsnot is forcing us to buy new PC's!

By: Yosemite Sam on Sun, 4 Jul 2021

176Yosemite Sam