From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: New computer
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:04:25 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 02:04 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:42:25 +1000, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>wrote:
>
>>On 10/4/2022 10:06 am, Petzl wrote:

>>> Times have changed don't see gigs being that important any more.
>>> Better to upgrade the processor I believe?
>>
>>Faster processor, faster RAM and faster storage (SSD, M2 or NVME) and
>>you have a faster beast. I use more than 8 Gig of RAM because I run
>>virtual machines. Virtual machines can really suck up the processor
>>power and fill up RAM to overflowing. 16 Gig would be *my* minimum and
>>my Mac Pro has 32 Gig and my Mac mini has 8 Gig. 8 Gig simply isn't
>>enough. YMMV.
>>
>>Best to try faster RAM and a SSD first. No point having a faster
>>processor if your RAM or HDD is the bottleneck. A new motherboard,
>>carefully chosen, can get you faster peripheral interfaces like 6Gbps
>>SATA HDDs/SSDs, NVME, USB 3.x, USB-C and Thunderbolt and, most
>>importantly, the latest RAM types and speeds. Note too that a
>>motherboard can be a bottleneck for a faster CPU as well. No point
>>buying a nice new 6Gbps SATA SSD if you don't have 6Gbps SATA ports on
>>the motherboard. Some new motherboards have spots for NVME drives built
>>in. A fast interface right where it is needed - on the motherboard.
>>
>>As an example, my nephew is wanting to build his own computer for gaming
>>with his friends. Here is his parts pick thus far;
>>
>>AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $314.00
>>MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $148.77
>>Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $105.00
>>Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $123.77
>>ASRock Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Challenger D Video Card $479.00
>>NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case $109.00
>>MSI MPG A-GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99
>>
>>Whilst I'm not a fan of AMD CPUs, the gamers seem to love them. The
>>above components seem to work well as a budget gaming computer according
>>to reviews. You'll note he's opted for 16 GB (2 x 8) of DDR4 RAM from
>>the get go. That still leaves him with the ability to later upgrade to
>>32 GB RAM by adding two more sticks. We have had discussions about
>>features, and restrictions, he needs to be aware of and has now slightly
>>modified his pick and selected an appropriate monitor as well. Of course
>>he won't buy everything all at once as he needs to save up but research
>>into what fits his needs is his current focus.
>>
>For unique purpose I would say you are maybe right.
>SSD's are getting cheaper and have to wonder how much faster RAM is to
>SSD speed?
>
>The other thing is what it will cost to build a computer verses buying
>one with same specs?
>Not sure about WIN 11 but WIN 10 uses hard drive to suplement RAM and
>hard drives are much faster now!
>
>The HP Tough screen offers $180 extra for 1TB
>1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD + $180.00
>
>https://tinyurl.com/y788ho59
>with 1 TB SSD it will cost $1100 instead of $900

I did add upp the cost of nephew building his own without monitor it
comes to $1,379
Maxinised every option on HP Touchscreen comes to $1,574

Weekly Deals
Enjoy great savings on select products. Plus, get FREE shipping
storewide.
Expert Sales Help: 1-866-625-3906ORDER STATUSCUSTOMER SERVICEMY HP
REWARDSSIGN IN/REGISTER
Skip to Footer
Explore
Shop
Support
What are you looking for?

CONFIGURE YOUR
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-d0255xt
SHIPS ON 05/31/2022
1,673.99
SAVE
$100.00
$1,573.99
OPERATING SYSTEM
Choose the right OS for your work style.

Windows 11 Home
Included
In Price

PROCESSOR
A faster processor means more efficient operation.

Intel® Core™ i5-10400T (2.0 GHz up to 3.6 GHz, 12 MB L3 cache, 6
cores)
- $200.00

Intel® Core™ i7-10700T (2.0 GHz up to 4.5 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8
cores)
Included
In Price

COLOR
White with 5 MP privacy camera with integrated quad array digital
microphone
- $10.00

White with 5 MP IR privacy camera with integrated quad array digital
microphone
Included
In Price

DISPLAY
68.6 cm (27") diagonal, QHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, three-sided
micro-edge, anti-glare, 350 nits, 72% NTSC
Included
In Price

MEMORY
Do more, faster with added memory.

8 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
- $160.00

16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
Included
In Price

WARRANTY AND SERVICES
Service and support from HP product experts.

HP 2 year Protection Plan
310.99
$248.79

HP 2 year w/Accidental Damage
337.99
$270.39

HP 3 year Protection Plan
337.99
$270.39
TECH SUPPORT
Get real tech help from real tech experts — anytime, anywhere.

HP 6 month SmartFriend Service
69.99
$55.99

HP 1 year SmartFriend Service
119.99
$95.99
INTEL® OPTANE™ MEMORY
Enjoy faster response times and a smooth computing experience. More
info.

No Optane
Included
In Price

16 GB NVMe™ Intel® Optane™ Memory for storage acceleration
+ $29.00

STORAGE
Pick the right amount of storage for your needs.

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
- $180.00

128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
- $180.00

2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD
- $140.00

256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
- $140.00

256 GB Intel® SSD + 16 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
- $140.00

512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
- $100.00

512 GB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
- $100.00

1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
+ $0.00

1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
Included
In Price

SECONDARY STORAGE
More storage. More space. More ways to save.

No HDD
- $89.00

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
- $40.00

2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD
Included
In Price

GRAPHICS CARD
Improve image clarity, motion and color brilliance.

NVIDIA® GeForce® MX 350 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Included
In Price

POWER SUPPLY
Additional power enables upgrading of components such as processors,
graphics etc.

150 W Smart AC power adapter
Included
In Price

NETWORKING
Connect to a wireless service on the go. Internet access sold
separately.

Realtek 802.11b/g/n/a/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo, MU-MIMO
supported
- $15.00

Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo, MU-MIMO supported
Included
In Price

PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE
Home or business, Microsoft Office offers the tools to get work done.

No Additional Office Software
Included
In Price

Microsoft® 365 Personal 1 Year - Save 10%
+ $62.99

Microsoft® 365 Family 1 Year - Save 10%
+ $89.99

Microsoft® Office 2021 Home and Student - Save 10%
+ $134.99

Microsoft® Office 2021 Home and Business - Save 10%
+ $224.99

Microsoft® Office 2021 Professional - Save 10%
+ $395.99

MCAFEE LIVESAFE™ SECURITY SOFTWARE
Protect your PC and smart devices with a subscription to McAfee
LiveSafe.

McAfee Livesafe (30 day)
Included
In Price

McAfee LiveSafe™ 12 months - Save 40%
+ $53.99

McAfee LiveSafe™ 24 months - Save 40.6%
+ $106.98

McAfee LiveSafe™ 36 months - Save 40.7%
+ $159.97

KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
Improved interactions with an upgraded keyboard and mouse.

USB white wired keyboard and mouse combo
- $20.00

USB white wireless keyboard and mouse combo
Included
In Price

SPECS
Windows 11 Home