From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: P&O 'redundancies'
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:46:30 -0000 (UTC)
<5B+72BGdg0NiFAsL@perry.uk>
<t17mgr$5i4$1@dont-email.me>
<wzgZa6Xp3COiFA23@perry.uk>
<t19fla$34r$1@dont-email.me>
<5p17MLn8yEOiFA21@perry.uk>
<t19nps$5pq$2@dont-email.me>
<ob0h3hluhcj4hu02c53j23kgrtsflha5a8@4ax.com>
<qgKv+AwATIOiFAVo@perry.uk>
<t1a1jg$bf2$1@dont-email.me>
<cTvSiZ1XzKOiFAxR@perry.uk>
<t1ca2f$4uv$1@dont-email.me>
<C6NFIhMczdOiFABt@perry.uk>
<t1crmm$6pc$2@dont-email.me>
<t1d60o$16r$1@dont-email.me>
<t1ddtc$4cf$1@dont-email.me>
<t1df36$dv4$1@dont-email.me>
<t1dg8a$n30$1@dont-email.me>
<t1gmt8$3og$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<t1hdg4$ako$1@dont-email.me>
<t1isfn$a3l$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:NLsMjhaMnIzQ+xlrG2nFkQaFx5M=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:46 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I would not be surprised to find out that there are exceptions for
>>> service staff on cruise liners. Their base pay is lousy, and all parties
>>> know that. yet they can reap a windfall in tips.
>>>

>> It's not really a windfall — it's just making up for their very low pay.
>> There's usually a suggested daily rate for tips which passengers put in a
>> special envelope at the end of the cruise. They can, of course, pay a
>> higher or lower amount, at their discretion.
>>
>> But the cruise ships I go on (Silversea and Noble Caledonia) include all
>> tips in the fare.
>
> In that case, in what sense are they tips? They’re can’t reflect the
> quality of service offered by any particular crew member, and they aren’t,
> presumably, voluntary on the passenger’s part, are they?

There's presumably nothing to say that passengers can't still tip where
they feel it's appropriate; but this removes any feeling of compulsion to
tip for everything, American-style.

I've just been on a (mostly) all-inclusive cruise, where any additional
charges which you did incur get charged to your cabin, so on board is
cashless; whenever we did want to tip we didn't usually have any cash with
us!

Anna Noyd-Dryver

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o OT: P&O 'redundancies'