From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: P&O 'redundancies'
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:14:18 +0000
 by: ColinR - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:14 UTC

On 25/03/2022 15:14, Graeme Wall wrote:
> On 25/03/2022 13:20, Recliner wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:46:31 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
>> <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>>> Is that very different to a cruise ship doing a regular weekly itinerary
>>> serving the same ports, with the staff paid less than for similar
>>> roles on
>>> land? Other than that tickets are only available for round trips, rather
>>> than port-to-port.
>>
>> And what about ocean liners like the QM2, which ply between New York
>> and Southampton?
>
> What other Ocean Liners are there and does she still do that?

Ahh, depends on your dictionary but a common definition of liner is "a
ship belonging to a regular line" or similar. If the regular line is
across an ocean then the ship is an ocean liner. The "regular" bit means
following a timetable. It does NOT mean that it is a full passenger ship
- in days of yore there were many cargo liners - and they still exist.

https://www.cargoshipvoyages.com

So, yes, ocean liners do still exist!

OK, maybe I am being pedantic but....

--