From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: When does a railway have to be seperated from people?
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:58:34 -0000 (UTC)
<t392fq$m6b$1@dont-email.me>
<635g5h9ltn6f3trovs82tqqrbe0b4mit1o@4ax.com>
<t39ub7$94q$1@dont-email.me>
<t3ai64$nug$6@dont-email.me>
<t3b9qq$r2f$1@dont-email.me>
<t3bcma$erk$1@dont-email.me>
<t3bd3i$hi2$1@dont-email.me>
<t3bhli$j6a$1@dont-email.me>
<t3bhq4$g07$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<t3bphs$cl4$1@dont-email.me>
<t3bq8a$kao$1@dont-email.me>
<t3brip$uub$1@dont-email.me>
<t3btfq$cpa$1@dont-email.me>
<t3bu1n$h31$1@dont-email.me>
<t3buhk$l11$1@dont-email.me>
<t3bv6j$q32$1@dont-email.me>
<t3bvmd$tqn$1@dont-email.me>
<t3c1dc$c21$1@dont-email.me>
<t3c2uv$o8m$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:mdI5JMTNnSqrPSvXWoU5FUa51fc=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:58 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> From what I’ve read, supercapacitors store about a quarter of the energy of
>>> lithium batteries per kg.
>>>

>> It's the other way round. Supercapacitors store around three times as much
>> energy per kg as batteries. They're also much more efficient, about 95% vs
>> 60-80%. They also recharge very fast without over-heating, and last much
>> longer, measured both in cycles and time.
>>
>> There are two big snags, however: the voltage drops much more as the charge
>> falls, and they can be ten times as expensive.
>>

> I disagree
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercapacitor
>
> See the table in section 2.6, Wh/kg entry
> Other sources back this up
>
> Not to be confused with Watts/kg, where supercapacitors win, hence the high
> charge and discharge current characteristics. In simple terms a
> supercapacitor has a much lower internal resistance than a battery.

Yes, you're right, supercapacitors have a high power density but a low
energy density.

> Dropping voltage isn’t too much of a problem with modern switched mode
> power supplies, they can take a wide range of input voltages.

Yes, less of a problem than it once would have been.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o When does a railway have to be seperated from people?

By: muttley on Mon, 11 Apr 2022

444muttley