From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: The modern day saga of cheap quality parts
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 15:56:19 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 07:56 UTC

On 2/11/2021 2:24 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 1/11/2021 11:05 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> Obviously the MOSFET and capacitor would need to be replaced, the
>>> capacitor with a higher working voltage item. R23 could probably just
>>> be soldered back in (after checking it) and the orange wire replaced.
>>>
>>> Then work from there, possibly being suspicious of the coil.
>>
>> A reasonable assumption however a Zener diode is prone to failure on
>> certain MSD distributors the symptom of which might be commonly noted
>> as an "erratic ignition stumble" prior to MOSFET failure. The Zener
>> diode has an important (and fairly typical, I'm sure you can work out)
>> role in this design and also must be replaced. The issue is not of
>> cheapness of components or "China" but of lousy design by MSD.
>
> Knowing nothing about MSD distributors other than those 3 pictures, you
> may well be right.

It a common fault. The Zener is used to regulate the voltage and when it
fails the rest follows as seen here.

I expect Google to be pretty sluggish with the fraud busy Googling what
a Zener diode looks like. Maybe I should send him a few, then he'll know :-)

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o The modern day saga of cheap quality parts

By: Noddy on Sat, 30 Oct 2021

98Noddy