Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.macintosh,comp.os.apple,comp.sys.apple,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Mac drive letters?
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:26:14 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:26 UTC

On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:20:23 -0000, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2022 at 3:13:56 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1iwxdi02mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>:
>
>> On Sat, 05 Mar 2022 00:27:13 -0000, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The boot drive.
>>
>> Quicker on Windows for any other drive. E:\videos\beach babes.mp4
>
> Your boot drive is your E: drive?

No, the E: drive is the large rust spinner for videos and TV.

> And how is that faster than ~/videos/beach babes.mp4

What's a tilde again? Is that your user folder? Well I don't want them in there. My user folder is on the boot drive and that's too small for terabytes of TV.

>>> I did goof, though. It should be: /file.txt
>>
>> Why does Mac and Linux use the wrong slash?
>
> What makes you think it is wrong, other than your rules?
>
>> The forward slash is for an option. dir/s includes subdirectories for example.
>
> That is how it works on Windows. Not elsewhere.

What do use for an option in a command? What happens if you want to write a date in a filename?

>>> As I said, I almost never have to type such stuff. No real need for general
>>> use.
>>
>> I keep forgetting how fluffy macs are, you hate using the keyboard.
>
> When do you have to type it?

Plenty times. I prefer having both options.

> And if you are going to type it why worry about
> having to open two folders?

What?

>>> True, but it makes sense to have an organization where your user files are in
>>> a user folder...
>>
>> Bullshit. I organise my files where I want them.
>
> As do I... I just *want* my organization to work well for me

Chances are the way you organise things isn't the same way the OS programmers do.

> and to allow my system to be multiuser and less prone to malware.

Malware doesn't find a problem with files in user folders.

>> And on different drives.
>
> I use different drives.
>
>> And where do you draw the line at a user file?
>
> Not sure what you mean by this.

What files do you refer to as user files?

>> What about recordings form my security cameras?
>
> I tend to save those in Documents but Movies would also make sense.

They're not either.

>> What about settings I saved in a program?
>
> ~/Library/Preferences. Of course.

Why would that be of course? What happened to the good old days when preferences were in the program's folder? Even my computer game has some stuff in my user folder and some stuff in it's own folder.

> One thing I miss about Classic Mac was being able to save those files (plist
> files in macOS terms) and have different sets of settings. Worked in pretty
> much any app on Classic Mac. Does not work on modern macOS.

Not sure what you're talking about.

>>> doing this is part of security. It is part of the reason
>>> macOS tends to have less malware.
>>
>> Nothing to do with security whatsoever.
>
> Sure it does. It is a key reason for it.
>
>> And anyway Windows also defaults to a user folder, I just ignore it.
>
> You create your own rules. Sure. And it is your system -- enjoy. Just do not
> expect others to follow your rules.

I don't expect anyone to organise anything the same way, which is why having the OS try to push you into one way is ridiculous.

>>> You can also save things to the Pictures or Music folders... which are
>>> defaults, or any other folder you want.
>>
>> Are those folders not inside your user folder?
>
> Yes.

My videos are on a different drive to my pictures.

>>> You are looking at an application icon. And it works fine.
>>
>> I prefer to know what I'm looking at.
>
> As opposed to?

What's sneaking up behind me.

>>> If you double click on an application icon the application opens. Of course.
>>> What else would you expect?
>>
>> But you said it's actually a folder. Wouldn't a folder open when you double
>> click it?
>
> Why would you want to open a folder when you launch an app? You can dig into
> it if you want but as the norm? What is the value? Why make it so you have to
> dig to find the EXE, and figure out which one, just to launch an app? Seems to
> get around that weakness you would need to create some extra menu and maybe
> even have to place it on the taskbar to deal with this challenge. Oh. Windows
> does that.

The application is not one file, it's a collection of files, inside a folder. So when I double click that folder, I expect it to open, not launch something inside it.

>>> The OS shows "USB Stick" and "USB Stick 1" (I think). The OS has built in IDs
>>> in he background to know what disk is what (and can use the "user" names).
>>
>> Windows is better. They can all be called USB Stick without a number.
>> Differentiation when required is done by the letter, which the user can see.
>
> I was wrong. Nospam is correct they would just show their names. No added
> numbers. But, really, why name them the same?

Say I have 20 USB sticks to give to a class. I put the same things on them all at once. I plug them all in at once. Why make up 20 names?

>>> And if you want to move or rename it?
>>
>> Never heard of anyone wanting to rename an open file.
>
> Not on systems where they cannot do so! But what if there is a typo? What if
> you decide it is in the wrong place? On Windows you have to do a little dance
> of closing it, renaming or moving, the re-opening it. And then the Recent
> files info often is broken.

I rename it when it isn't open. I'd see the typo when I was about to open it.

>> The closest I've ever done is open a file then want to make a similar one (say
>> for another client), so I just save as a new name.
>
> Ah, File >Duplicate... where the Duplicate is already open and, guess what,
> you can then rename it without closing it.
>
> Oh. On Windows you have to do File >Save As, then rename, then open. And to
> open it you have to navigate to wherever you opened it. Back to your idea of
> opening folders needlessly being a waste of time.

No. I double click "Smith accounts" and it opens in the app. Then I save as "Jones accounts". Very simple.

>>> Or if you have file A.doc open and you
>>> want to get to B.doc which you know is in the same folder, buried several
>>> folders deep?
>>>
>>> To be more specific: You have ~/Companies/Company A/Client A/Project
>>> A/2021/A.docx open. How do you get to ~/Companies/Company A/Client A/Project
>>> A/2021/B.docx quickly?
>>
>> If I right click a recent file, I can choose "open location". Now I have the
>> ~/Companies/Company A/Client A/Project A/2021 folder open.
>
> Another example where you need to dig through menus. Got it.

No menus to dig through. Two clicks.

> And if you want to open a folder in the path? Open that folder and go up.

What?

> Oy.

Vey.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Mac drive letters?

By: Commander Kinsey on Thu, 24 Feb 2022

229Commander Kinsey