I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out. -- Judge Harold T. Stone

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: How to do something

Re: How to do something

<op.1jjqkby6mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7340&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7340

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: How to do something
<op.1i7tfjtamvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <4tXYJ.1034968$YlU2.214428@fx08.ams1>
<op.1i7z3rxhmvhs6z@ryzen.lan> <KTZYJ.1049846$YlU2.76846@fx08.ams1>
<op.1i76bywzmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<8c8bbecd-c9c5-4bd5-a278-097f08fd6086n@googlegroups.com>
<op.1i7866eomvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<b5353a9f-0627-485d-9b67-f94c7afcabfbn@googlegroups.com>
<op.1i8eaewjmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<a28aa95d-1e6f-439e-8104-6bf6830e749fn@googlegroups.com>
<op.1i8khmtvmvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<ca2a9516-ef6a-4c4d-b6f2-d553d860d99dn@googlegroups.com>
<op.1jf5yaeimvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<3a4b1d4a-dd89-4f70-9372-f9ee529f1210n@googlegroups.com>
<op.1jjczxp6mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<5db6914c-b8f5-4d2d-9f27-5c839c99490fn@googlegroups.com>
<op.1jjh0bgimvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<18f78e4b-8cc6-4ac3-85f6-4af70c0cfa69n@googlegroups.com>
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:51:37 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:51 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:47:09 -0000, whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 24 March 2022 at 14:46:53 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>> > My students have names but I organise them by email number of group number.
>> Indeed, when I studied we all had a "matriculation number".
>
> Now that does sound a bit borg like. We have student number but I rarely see that number.

Neither did I.

>> > Depends on features or what's been added. Then there's imporvements , and then bug fixes.
>> I doubt there were two major changes recently, after nothing significant for 19 years.
>
> Added extra functionality but unless I bother to look I won;t know, I know there's something new in facetime .
> but I don;t use it.

So not really a major change. More like a marketing ploy.

> Something new for macOS Monterey is the introduction of AirPlay to the Mac. When the update arrives, you'll be able to stream and share content from your iPhone, iPad or other Mac directly onto the screen of an iMac or MacBook. Not only that, but the Mac can act as an AirPlay speaker, meaning you can stream songs to it from your other Apple devices. You could use this feature to create multi-room audio for a party, for example.

Err..... we've had that for ages on Windows PCs. Any Android phone can show it's display or one app onto a PC or TV. Great for showing a video you recorded to several people. It's called casting.

>> > Seems it's easy to find out.
>> > Microsoft skipped Windows 9 to avoid confusion with Windows 95 and Windows 98. Specifically, there was existing code, written by third parties (i.e. not modifiable by Microsoft) that detected old windows versions by checking if the version name began with the character '9'.
>> Apparently that's a myth.
>
> Not from what I've heard , remmber the millennium bug didn't affect Macs as their date code could go past the year 1999
> a lot of PCs couldn't well those running windows.
>
> Seems like the same oddity makes more sense than MS and what Germans might think

There was no millennium bug. It was bullshit that loads of companies paid other companies to come check.

>> > Guess windows users have difficult with version numbers like which os best windows 9 windows 95 or windows 98
>> > the higher number or the lower number ?
>> >
>> > Apple doesn't have this problem
>> Didn't the X confuse them?
>
> Anything will confuse an american but most knew X is 10 in roman numerals and others assumed the X was for uniX
> and others that it meant 10 because after their previous OSs went from 1 to 9 then there's 10, unless you're a windows user
> which means the next number go 3.0 3.5, W XP, millennium or was it windows Me , NT3.5, Windows 2003 , NT4 Vista, windows 7 windows 8 then windows 10 Windows .

Yeah Windows Marketing isn't it's strongpoint.

>> > why have the 2 seperate .
>> Because the taskbar is used everyday, it's like the dock, you use it to see what's running and to switch between things. The taskbar is only for troubleshooting.
>
> you could click on the mac task bar and select which app was in the forground it was the quickest way to do that.
> Simial;r to what yuo can do in windows today and Mac today but this was back in 1988.

Windows had it first. Your dock wasn't there until OS X.

>> > Over-priced for those that didn't want to pay for them. A bit like rolex watches and lamborghinis amonst others.
>> Anybody who buys Rolex or Lamborghini is an idiot.
>
> If an idiot has money why not seperate it from them.

Yip, that goes for all Apple users.

> Lots of people use delivery services too, when they could cook for themselves or even go out and get it themselves.

Time is money.

>> > It didn;t use Appletalk, but the macs were the first computers we had networked up and users a filesharer
>> Are you younger than me? In 1997 I was using Appletalk at a University.
>
> I meant carmaggedon didn't use Apple talk did it?, well not the cables anyway.
> thought it was ethernet as I never had appletalk setup at home.

I played Carmageddon with ethernet 10-base-T coax.

>> > that actually worked. We did have a BBC computer system in the languages labs running over econet.
>> Econet worked fairly well, but I can't remember much about it.
>
> But really expensive from what I remmber more expensive than an Apple HD and not very user friendly.

How is a cable expensive?

>> > But it didn;t seem to have many uses.
>> > We were teaching C and Lisp various versions of Pascal on the macs via the fileserver which was also connected to a couple
>> > of research Mac II, mac fx etc...

>> > We used our computers inside building ;-)
>> Yeah well I'm talking about several houses along a street. Couldn't be bothered setting up microwave links ;-)
> Yes I guessed, we had all gathered in the same house bringing our Macs, beer and munchees.
> Gave me strange waking dreams too where I felt I was driving when trying to get to sleep about 5am

My first job involved a 1 hour commute each way. Every night I saw taillights. I car shared with someone else in a neighbouring company, but I wanted to drive and not be a passenger, so he paid cash and I drove. He watched for speed cameras.

>> > Macpluses had the DB25 and the hard discs had the 50 way low density.
>> > My G4 mac had the option of 1 or 2 10,000 rpm SCSI drives with the 68 pin connectors.
>> >
>> > More problems were with PCs serial and parellel D-types were 9, 15, 25 or 37 pin were they crossed or straight
>> > did they use parrity or X-0n X-0ff did they use DTR or CTS or other variants.
>> > Did the 25 way use all pins of just 9 so we had to buy the more expensive leads from RS that had a 25 wired up
>> > rather than the cheaper 25 way (
>> I blew up my dad's PC motherboard by connecting a friend's serial printer to his parallel port. What moron thought it would be a good idea to have parallel and serial with the same connector? Oh well, I persuaded MJN to replace it under warranty.

> I'm not sure those that buy a Mac with 16 billion colours are very concenrted if yuo can boot it up win 256 colours
> so yuo can fault find.

The problem appears to be with a Mac you need a decent graphics card just for the OS?

>> > we supply them with these.
>> > https://www.rapidonline.com/anvil-av-aws-automatic-wire-stripper-86-0390
>> They look very similar to mine. Glad to see you don't use the overpriced RS Components, I can't believe they're still in business.
>
> Yeah we do use them sometimes and sometimes they are cheaper but it;s rare.
> They are relible though , as are farnell and Rapid.

Yes I usually used Farnell/CPC and Rapid. RS for rare shit.

>> > Look up confirmational bais ,
>> > Trump used a similar approach in politics, say the wrong thing often enough and loud enough and it becomes correct.
>> If it happened it happened.

>> > Trouble with common sense is it just not as common as we think.
>> Agreed. We should kill everyone without it. Push them over a cliff (Monty Python).
>
> Don;t tempt me, plenty of students like that , I even bought one of my whips in , in case I needed tp enforce socal distancing
> but dough H&S will let me even get it out let alone use it !

Social distancing is for girls. But whips are fun, especially with young naked students.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: How to do something

By: whisky-dave on Fri, 18 Mar 2022

30whisky-dave