I'm still waiting for the advent of the computer science groupie.

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: google apps

SubjectAuthor
* Re: google appsAndy Burnelli
+* Re: google appsbadgolferman
|+- Re: google appsnospam
|`* Re: google appsAndy Burnelli
| +- Re: google appsbadgolferman
| `- Re: google appsDean Hoffman
`* Re: google appsBob Campbell
 `* Re: google appsAndy Burnelli
  `* Re: google appsJolly Roger
   `- Re: google appsAndy Burnelli

1
Re: google apps

<tk8kis$1ni8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11714&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11714

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: google apps
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 15:41:25 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 15:41 UTC

Bob Campbell wrote:

>> Looking at those apps, here's the nearest Android FOSS equivalent, where
>> those reading this should keep in mind the FOSS apps are always better.
>
> LOL, good one.
>
> Do you write your own material? Or do you hire comedy writers?

Hi to badgolferman,

In stark contrast to the child-like response of the iKook above (who have
been indoctrinated so you can actually feel sorry for them - they know not
what is the truth for they believe only in propaganda), below is a rather
detailed thoughtful helpful discussion on privacy replacements on both iOS
and Android for the default set of Google apps on iOS & Android.

This is adding value to your topic of Google apps... which, for an iOS
newsgroup, is extremely important given Apple sold its soul to Google.

Notice how this uneducated ignorant low-self-esteem iKook "Bob Campbell"
polluted your rather useful (and unique topic) thread out of his spite?

As with Joerg Lorenz, this Bob Campbell doesn't own the necessary IQ to
understand adult conversations, where I claimed that the FOSS replacements
for the following Google apps were _better_ than the original Google app.
- Gmail ==> FairMail beats it on Android - dunno about iOS equivalents
- Google Maps ==> nobody is as good but Apple Maps isn't too far behind
on iOS and OSMAnd+ works fine most of the time
- Chrome ==> Ungoogled Chromium should be available for iOS & Android
- YouTube ==> no equivalent on iOS but there are some but NewPipe
on Android wins hands down over both the iOS equivalents

There are important technical points to make about each of those Google
apps as they pertain to the iOS platform that are rather enlightening.

Take, for example, the ubiquitous GMail app, which infests both the Android
and the iOS platform but, and this is very important, but which affects the
loss of privacy on iOS far _less_ than it does the loss of privacy on
Android (which is interesting, as it's usually the other way around).

On iOS, you've already lost your privacy because you're essentially forced
to log into a mothership tracking account - whereas on Android you're not.

However... and this is huge in terms of privacy... however, on Android, the
very _instant_ you enter your login information into the GMail app, it
_forces_ an Android account upon the phone - without your knowledge (for
most people) - which means it's as bad as using the Apple iCloud account in
terms of loss of privacy for the entire phone for the life of that account.

Thankfully, and mercifully so, if you log into the Google GMail app on iOS,
that instant association with the mothership for the entire phone does NOT
happen! Notice this is a privacy benefit, so to speak, of using the GMail
app on iOS versus using that same GMail app on Android.

I realize this is too deep technically for 99.9% of the people on this
newsgroup, but the simplified takeaway is that the GMail app itself is
actually more private on iOS than it is on Android - which is ironic.

Moving to the next Google app in terms of privacy, there is a DIFFERENT
(yet huge!) loss of privacy when you use the Google Maps product on Android
than on iOS!

Yes. Who would have thought that Android is _less_ private than iOS when
using the Google Maps app! Much less private in fact. And Google does this
very discretely, which, again, is lost on 99.9% of the people out there.

When you use the Google Maps app on iOS without logging into the Google
Maps app itself, as far as I know the last time I tested this (admittedly a
while ago), the Google Maps app does NOT change the iOS settings to
pernicious uploading of your location and _other_ critical information such
as bluetooth and Wi-Fi access point identifying details.

By way of stark contrast, when you use the Google Maps app on Android
without logging into the app itself, it _asks_ you to turn on "Location",
but it doesn't tell you overtly that this location switch is DIFFERENT from
the user turning on location manually (usually with the teardrop tile),
and, get this... this is critical... what's lost on 99.9% of the people out
there is that NO OTHER MAP APP on the Android phone is allowed to do what
the Google map does, which is turn on precise location settings, which, as
noted, also turn on uploading of bluetooth and Wi-Fi information to Google
servers!

Notice in both cases above, you have more privacy with iOS Google apps than
with the Android equivalents to those same Google apps (although you
already lost some of that privacy already on iOS due to the mothership
account being forced upon users in order to make the device usable).

Luckily, the Android FOSS equivalents I had suggested don't have that
privacy loss, and, in fact, the FOSS apps specifically are engineered for
privacy protection such that anyone intelligent and well informed (yes, I
know, that's only about 0.1% of the people on these newsgroups) can avoid
that loss of privacy but they'd have to first know what I just told you.

Luckily, the simple takeaway is never use Google apps on Android when there
is a FOSS equivalent to that Google app, which, brings us to the next app.

On iOS, the default browser, whether you like that one browser or not, as
you are well aware, is Safari - and on Android it's Chrome. While you can
add Chrome to iOS, you can't make it the default (last I checked), which is
a good thing actually, whereas on Android it comes as the default browser.

The bad thing about Chrome with respect to privacy is that it _requires_
you to sign an agreement with Google, which is the topic of a different
thread on the c.m.a ng but the same agreement (presumably) applies to iOS.
*What exactly are you AGREEING to when you use Google default apps?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/FihfWq_1Ojs>

Thankfully, ungoogled chromium FOSS replacements exist for most common
consumer platforms, which does NOT require that agreement to be signed.
<https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium>

Unfortunately for iOS users, the _one_ platform that the ungoogled chromium
is _not_ available for is iOS - so you can't use ungoogled chromium at all.
<https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium/issues/1103>
"all browsers for iOS are just reskins of safari"

Finally, we get to the FOSS YouTube client replacement apps, of which I'm
sure the uneducated iKook Bob Campbell is as ignorant of as are the rest.

This one app is, in my humble opinion, one of the top five FOSS apps that
have ever been designed for a mobile device, along with and on a similar
level in terms of privacy and functionality to the Aurora Google Play Store
client and to the NetGuard system-wide firewall - none of which will Google
allow on the Google Play Store itself, but all of which are easily found.
<https://newpipe.net/>
<https://auroraoss.com/>
<https://email.faircode.eu/>
<https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard>
<https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium>

Notice that Google _hates_ the FOSS NewPipe functionality with such a
passion that it's not even allowed on the Google Play Store repository!

Suffice to say this FOSS YouTube client does _everything_ the Google
YouTube client does and then it does so privately, and, most importantly,
it provides more than the functionality of YouTube Premium, for free.

Since the source code is public, and since Google has good lawyers, and
since it's designed to follow all applicable laws, Google can't stop it.

What I love most about this FOSS Google YouTube client that Bob Campbell is
certainly wholly ignorant of, is that there are never Google inserted ads!

Now, given the iPad is larger than my phablet, I would _love_ to find a
replacement FOSS client for iOS, but they simply do not exist on the Apple
App store. However there _are_ some apps that I've used which nospam
insists are replacements, but he doesn't even have an Android device most
likely so he hsa no idea what he's talking about. I do.

I've tried them, and they're just ok - as what they do (last I checked) is
substitute their own ads for those you don't see coming from Google.

That's better than nothing, but it's not even close to comparable, and, in
terms of privacy, none of those iOS apps allow you to do things like
subscribe to a channel w/o using your Google Account to do so which NewPipe
allows by design (as does Aurora for the Google Play Store functionality).

Alas, there is no way on iOS to do either of those two things anonymously,
since you _must_ use the account associated with the device only on iOS.

In summary, if you are technically competent on both platforms you can find
substitutes for Google products where, surprisingly, on the iOS platform
some of those substitutes are actually _more_ private (but not all).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which in this case is to expound upon privacy differences between iOS and

Re: google apps

<tk8ogl$1e7o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11722&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11722

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 16:48:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 16:48 UTC

Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> However... and this is huge in terms of privacy... however, on Android, the
> very _instant_ you enter your login information into the GMail app, it
> _forces_ an Android account upon the phone - without your knowledge (for
> most people) - which means it's as bad as using the Apple iCloud account in
> terms of loss of privacy for the entire phone for the life of that account.
>
> Thankfully, and mercifully so, if you log into the Google GMail app on iOS,
> that instant association with the mothership for the entire phone does NOT
> happen! Notice this is a privacy benefit, so to speak, of using the GMail
> app on iOS versus using that same GMail app on Android.
>
> I realize this is too deep technically for 99.9% of the people on this
> newsgroup, but the simplified takeaway is that the GMail app itself is
> actually more private on iOS than it is on Android - which is ironic.

The ability to use gmail labels and have them automatically applied based
on my filters is important to me. No other mail app that I’ve seen will
port the gmail label system

> Moving to the next Google app in terms of privacy, there is a DIFFERENT
> (yet huge!) loss of privacy when you use the Google Maps product on Android
> than on iOS!
>
> Yes. Who would have thought that Android is _less_ private than iOS when
> using the Google Maps app! Much less private in fact. And Google does this
> very discretely, which, again, is lost on 99.9% of the people out there.
>
> When you use the Google Maps app on iOS without logging into the Google
> Maps app itself, as far as I know the last time I tested this (admittedly a
> while ago), the Google Maps app does NOT change the iOS settings to
> pernicious uploading of your location and _other_ critical information such
> as bluetooth and Wi-Fi access point identifying details.
>
> By way of stark contrast, when you use the Google Maps app on Android
> without logging into the app itself, it _asks_ you to turn on "Location",
> but it doesn't tell you overtly that this location switch is DIFFERENT from
> the user turning on location manually (usually with the teardrop tile),
> and, get this... this is critical... what's lost on 99.9% of the people out
> there is that NO OTHER MAP APP on the Android phone is allowed to do what
> the Google map does, which is turn on precise location settings, which, as
> noted, also turn on uploading of bluetooth and Wi-Fi information to Google
> servers!

Waze is better than Apple Maps although it’s now owned by Google.

> Notice in both cases above, you have more privacy with iOS Google apps than
> with the Android equivalents to those same Google apps (although you
> already lost some of that privacy already on iOS due to the mothership
> account being forced upon users in order to make the device usable).
>
> Luckily, the Android FOSS equivalents I had suggested don't have that
> privacy loss, and, in fact, the FOSS apps specifically are engineered for
> privacy protection such that anyone intelligent and well informed (yes, I
> know, that's only about 0.1% of the people on these newsgroups) can avoid
> that loss of privacy but they'd have to first know what I just told you.
>
> Luckily, the simple takeaway is never use Google apps on Android when there
> is a FOSS equivalent to that Google app, which, brings us to the next app.
>
> On iOS, the default browser, whether you like that one browser or not, as
> you are well aware, is Safari - and on Android it's Chrome. While you can
> add Chrome to iOS, you can't make it the default (last I checked), which is
> a good thing actually, whereas on Android it comes as the default browser.

Actually now you can set it as the default browser. I think that changed
with iOS 13 or 14.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: google apps

<061120221207546570%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11723&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11723

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 12:07:54 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 16:07 UTC

In article <tk8ogl$1e7o$1@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

> The ability to use gmail labels and have them automatically applied based
> on my filters is important to me. No other mail app that I¹ve seen will
> port the gmail label system

that's because it's non-standard.

Re: google apps

<tk8qqm$3nun0$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11724&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11724

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:27:59 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:27 UTC

badgolferman wrote:

>> I realize this is too deep technically for 99.9% of the people on this
>> newsgroup, but the simplified takeaway is that the GMail app itself is
>> actually more private on iOS than it is on Android - which is ironic.
>
> The ability to use gmail labels and have them automatically applied based
> on my filters is important to me. No other mail app that I've seen will
> port the gmail label system

Hi badgolferman,

You are balanced, as am I, so it would be unreasonable of me to disagree
that the GMail labels and filters are important to you - and I agree.

You and I both care most about functionality first, and then privacy
second. For some people privacy is a distant second to functionality,
whereas for me, privacy is a close second to functionality.

But for both of us, functionality is the most important.
(e.g., what good is privacy without functionality?)

In terms of functionality, the GMail app is pretty good, but luckily for
iOS users like you and I are, in terms of privacy (which is always second
to functionality), the GMail app on iOS is _far more private_ than the
GMail app is on Android.

And that's a good thing for iOS users like you and I.

Notice what reasonable people do, by the way, which is they easily agree on
a logical basis, where intelligent people know _both sides_ of the story.

In summary, it's not a loss of privacy for you to use the GMail app on iOS,
but it would be a (rather huge) loss of privacy to use that app on Android.

*iOS, in this case, for this Google app, is more private than is Android.*

>> By way of stark contrast, when you use the Google Maps app on Android
>> without logging into the app itself, it _asks_ you to turn on "Location",
>> but it doesn't tell you overtly that this location switch is DIFFERENT from
>> the user turning on location manually
>
> Waze is better than Apple Maps although it's now owned by Google.

That's interesting you say that because I don't use Waze on Android for
similar reasons that I don't use many Google apps on Android which is
functionality first, privacy second, and where Waze _requires_ a mothership
tracking account (as far as I am aware).

Remember, the whole point is functionality first - privacy second - where
the functionality of Waze doesn't appear to me, at least upon my initial
inspection of the app content, to be all that much different than from
Google maps. Sure, they talk about accidents and speed traps better, but
for the most part you can ascertain accidents from red areas in Google Maps
(via the browser or via the map app) without logging into any mothership
tracking account.

As for Apple Maps, I tested it thoroughly years ago, particularly on a
Wi-Fi only iPad from Costco (we can dig up the report) and it did
reasonably well but I don't remember if it requires the mothership tracking
account since iOS _already_ requires the mothership tracking account.

Hence, my recommendation for you in terms of functionality first, privacy
second, is that if you like functionality that Waze provides over that of
both Google Maps (which doesn't require a mothership tracking account) and
of Apple Maps (which I'm not sure if it utilizes the mothership tracking
account), then it's a reasonably logical choice of you to select Waze.

Having said all that, I wonder if what Steve has been claiming about Apple
maps is true nowadays, in that he (and certainly the iKooks) are claiming
Apple Maps is almost as good as Google Maps nowadays.

Is that so?
*Is Apple Maps finally (almost?) a functional equivalent to Google Maps?*

If it's true, then why not use the Apple Maps app (since you're _already_
logging into the Apple mothership tracking account)?

Notice, as was the key advice in the article you kindly referenced on
privacy versus functionality, it's always functionality first, privacy
second.

>> On iOS, the default browser, whether you like that one browser or not, as
>> you are well aware, is Safari - and on Android it's Chrome. While you can
>> add Chrome to iOS, you can't make it the default (last I checked), which is
>> a good thing actually, whereas on Android it comes as the default browser.
>
> Actually now you can set it as the default browser. I think that changed
> with iOS 13 or 14.

Thank you for your correction that you can now set iOS to default to Chrome
instead of to Safari to open links, which is useful information I
appreciate.

All too often people are stuck on old data and they don't update their
brains to the latest information available to them. Hence I appreciate that
update.

With respect to functionality, the "Chrome" browser is about the same as
the Chromium source is, and therefore the "Ungoogled Chromium" browser is
what you'd really want on iOS.

Notice that keeps with our theme of functionality first and privacy second.
(Again... what good is privacy without functionality?)

Unfortunately, I just looked for the Ungoogled Chromium IPA for you on the
Apple App Store, and, unfortunately for iOS users, it doesn't seem to
exist.

Hence, the Chrome you get (which uses webkit anyway), is not really giving
you much more of a functionality over Safari but that's only because Apple
requires all iOS web browsers to use webkit (which is inferior in almost
all ways in terms of functionality).

Sigh. We can't win sometimes.
Particularly when we go against what the mothership wants you to do.

>> In summary, if you are technically competent on both platforms you can find
>> substitutes for Google products where, surprisingly, on the iOS platform
>> some of those substitutes are actually _more_ private (but not all).
>
> It's obvious privacy is the #1 issue you care about, which is completely
> understandable.

Actually, functionality is the #1 issue I care about; however I agree with
your point in your other thread about turning off "favorite locations" that
it's always going to be a decision of how much to weigh the functionality
gained versus the privacy lost.

Obviously I always strive to attain maximum functionality with minimum loss
of privacy - which takes intelligence most people here don't have - so I'm
rather _different_ in that respect from most posters to any iOS newsgroup.

What else is rather different about me, other than I'm far more technically
aware of the Apple propaganda than almost everyone else on this newsgroup
(David Empson excepted), is that I have both platforms and I use whichever
provides the most functionality at the least cost in privacy.

That's a reasonable approach, don't you think?

For example, have you ever noticed I espouse the virtues of Google Voice?
You didn't mention it in your "google apps" list, as I recall, but it's a
biggie in terms of free USA calls and call forwarding and voicemail too.

Notice that there is a (huge) loss in privacy in using Google Voice, right?
I prioritize FUNCTIONALITY first; privacy (a close) second.

But guess what?
I don't use Google Voice on Android.

Nope.
I don't.

Why not?
Because the instant you log into the Android Google Voice app, it _creates_
the mothership tracking account! Yikes!

Oh no, right?
But wait. There's more.

On iOS, when you log into the Google Voice app, it does NOT create the
mothership tracking account!

Woo hoo!
See what I mean?

I prioritize FUNCTIONALITY over privacy but I still remain intelligent
about my choices of which platform and which software to use on it.

On iOS, using Google Voice is much more private than it is on Android.

Again, notice I understand _both sides_ of the equation, which is why I'm
an intelligent knowledgeable reasonable logical person (unlike most of the
people on this ng).

As with the GMail app, iOS Google Voice is more private than on Android.

> But at the expense of privacy comes inconvenience which is
> a trade off one has to weigh.

Since the dawn of time, privacy has _always_ been at the expense of
convenience.

Think about what you do in the privacy of your own bedroom, when, if you
have kids, for example, you close the door and pull shut the curtains.

Privacy (and security) has always come at the expense of convenience.

Heck, who doesn't lock their car doors when they park at a shopping mall
even as they wouldn't bother to lock their doors when parked in their
driveway.

Privacy (and security) has always come at the cost of convenience.
What I strive for is a logically reasonable setup.

The real cost, which you didn't mention, isn't so much convenience, but
knowledge, which, itself, requires intelligence (which most don't have).

Most people on this newsgroup, unfortunately, believe everything they're
told by a mothership who is raking in the profits like crazy off the
ignorant gullibility of the users believing what they're being told.

The fact is that iOS is often far less privacy than Android and, as I've
amply shown above, there are certainly cases where iOS is actually more
private than is Android.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: google apps

<A4ydnR1ltcFRcvr-nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11726&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11726

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: nun...@none.none (Bob Campbell)
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 17:33:00 +0000
 by: Bob Campbell - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:33 UTC

Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Notice how this uneducated ignorant low-self-esteem iKook "Bob Campbell"
> polluted your rather useful (and unique topic) thread out of his spite?

The comedy is in your blanket statement that “FOSS software is always
better”.

When ARE you going to grow up? Only children run around screaming “I am
an adult”. You keep SAYING you are an adult, but every time you post here
proves you are 1 5 year old jerk who knows nothing about iOS.

Or FOSS. Or any topic that I have seen you pontificate on.

BTW, Apple does NOT update the entire 7GB of iOS if only a single line of
code was changed. I see you are STILL spewing that utter bullshit.

Re: google apps

<tk8uom$d2o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11727&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11727

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:35:11 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:35 UTC

Bob Campbell wrote:

>> Notice how this uneducated ignorant low-self-esteem iKook "Bob Campbell"
>> polluted your rather useful (and unique topic) thread out of his spite?
>
> The comedy is in your blanket statement that "FOSS software is always
> better".

I'm going to try to speak to you as if you are an adult, instead of as you
being merely just another of the many uneducated ignorant unintelligent
iKooks who infest this newsgroup due to their low self esteem issues.

> When ARE you going to grow up?

You'll notice my conversation with badgolferman is reasonable, logical,
balanced, and most importantly, adult.

Why do you think every conversation with you is not?

> Only children run around screaming "I am
> an adult". You keep SAYING you are an adult, but every time you post here
> proves you are 1 5 year old jerk who knows nothing about iOS.

Projection.

> Or FOSS.

What's interesting is how much you (but only you) misunderstood.
Notice badgolferman had no trouble understanding what we discussed.
It's only you.

> Or any topic that I have seen you pontificate on.

What's also interesting is that any adult conversation you consider
pontification.

> BTW, Apple does NOT update the entire 7GB of iOS if only a single line of
> code was changed.

Again, you misunderstand what was said, even as that statement was never
said (to my knowledge) in this thread. But I do happen to own adult
cognitive skills, unlike you, so I do understand your (errant) belief
system.

> I see you are STILL spewing that utter bullshit.

Having read your entire response and finding nothing of any adult value, I
will point out to the adults on this newsgroup that you misunderstood my
statement about FOSS apps.

To his credit, badgolferman did understand what I was saying was the FOSS
replacements that I've personally tested and listed and described (such as
NewPipe for YouTube and Ungoogled Chromium and Aurora, etc.) were all
better than the Google apps they replaced, namely the Google YouTube
client, the Chrome browser client, and the Google Play Store clients).

Unfortunately for you, you don't own the adult cognitive skills to
comprehend what everyone else easily understood was being said.

This is why you're all worked up, by the way - because you appear to hate
yourself for not owning any ability whatsoever for carrying on a
reasonable, logically defensible point of view.

To put it bluntly, you didn't understand a thing, but you think you did.
That's a prescription for disaster - which is why you hate yourself.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which in this case was to clarify my statements on FOSS replacement apps.

Re: google apps

<jsqeo7Fifq3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11728&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11728

Followup: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 6 Nov 2022 19:03:35 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 19:03 UTC

On 2022-11-06, Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
> Bob Campbell wrote:
>
>>> Notice how this uneducated ignorant low-self-esteem iKook "Bob
>>> Campbell" polluted your rather useful (and unique topic) thread out
>>> of his spite?
>>
>> The comedy is in your blanket statement that "FOSS software is always
>> better".
>
> I'm going to try to speak to you as if you are an adult

NARRATOR: He won't.

JR

Re: google apps

<tk96r1$51f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11730&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11730

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 20:52:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 20:52 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

>> I'm going to try to speak to you as if you are an adult
>
> NARRATOR: He won't.

The adults on this newsgroup know who the child-like iKooks are where they
(i.e., you, Jolly Roger) are all uneducated, ill-informed, and above all,
of a rather disproportionately low IQ).

All those traits each of you child-like iKooks share isn't what makes you
iKooks though.

Nay.
Plenty of people on Usenet are stupid.
Plenty of them have no education too.

But you iKooks are different.
You only exist in the main on iOS newsgroups.

Why is that?
I know why because I've studied you iKooks for more than a decade.

I know why you do what you do, perhaps more than you even know why.
Want me to tell you why?

you hate yourself.
Yes.

You hate that your entire life everyone has been calling you stupid.
It never ends.

Why?
Because you _are_ stupid.

And yet, you don't even realize it.
It would be funny if it wasn't so sad, but you're actually too stupid to
realize how incredibly stupid you are.

That's a pretty bad indictment on you iKooks but that's not the worst.

What worse is that you invested almost all of your loss of self esteem into
the Apple Propaganda that Apple (brilliantly) has fed you over the years.

You are so invested in that errant Apple propaganda that your entire belief
system as it revolves around Apple products is immune to facts.

That alone wouldn't be too bad but what makes you iKooks is that any fact
that belies your errant belief system, you consider a danger to your ego.

If you weren't told your entire life that you were stupid, this wouldn't be
so bad, but because your whole life you've been told you're stupid, you're
desperate for someone (anyone!) to tell you that you're NOT stupid.

You know who does that for you?
I do.

Apple.

Yup.
Apple.

Apple told you that you were smart for paying all that money for their
fantastically advertised and highly stylish product Jolly Roger.

Apple appreciates you.
Very much indeed.

Apple rewards your ego, Jolly Roger.
You like that don't you.

Apple makes you feel "not stupid" for the first time in your life, Jolly
Roger. I get it. I understand you Jolly Roger. I know what makes you tick.

You are desperate for someone (anyone) to tell you that you're NOT stupid.
And Apple is HAPPY to tell you that.

In fact, the reason you gloat over Apple profits (which no normal person
would ever do unless they're investors) is BECAUS you're desperate for
affirmation that you're NOT stupid.

Apple profits means you made a good choice which means you're NOT stupid.
I wonder if you will ever realize what everyone else knows about you?

Re: google apps

<xn0np3veo5zgqu000@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11751&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11751

Followup: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:54:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:54 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

>Is that so? *Is Apple Maps finally (almost?) a functional equivalent
>to Google Maps?*
>
>If it's true, then why not use the Apple Maps app (since you're
>already logging into the Apple mothership tracking account)?

Apple Maps does not appeal to me. It starts with the interface. The
section with text is too big and takes up a large section of the map.
It also seems slow to update as you make turns. I'm sure it will get
me to my destination but I just prefer Google Maps for the most part.
For long interstate rides I will switch to Waze for the speed trap
function. I've been using Waze since I had a Blackberry Storm prior to
iPhones. Not that it matters, but I've been a Royalty Wazer for years.
You advance through levels based upon miles driven.

Maybe sms thinks Apple Maps is good now because it either has or will
soon have multi-stop functionality (something nospam said is not
needed).

One thing Google Maps does which I really like is the ability to plan
out routes with multiple stops on the desktop computer using a mouse,
waypoints (dropped pins), and other functions -- then send that route
in its entirety to your phone either by text message or push. I use
this funtion a lot when I plan out long distance motorcycle trips.
It's virtually impossible to play around with the phone when riding on
a motorcycle down the interstate so I appreciate the ability to have my
entire trip planned out in advance. This function alone has moved me
away from Waze to Google Maps over the years.

Re: google apps

<tke2g5$1a9a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11752&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11752

From: deanhof...@clod.com (Dean Hoffman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 12:09:35 -0500
 by: Dean Hoffman - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 17:09 UTC

On 11/6/2022 12:27:59 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Hence, the Chrome you get (which uses webkit anyway), is not really giving
> you much more of a functionality over Safari but that's only because Apple
> requires all iOS web browsers to use webkit (which is inferior in almost
> all ways in terms of functionality).

Webkit isn't inferior.
It's puts Safari under the Chrome graphical interface.