Nothing happens.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Re: Buffer overflow

SubjectAuthor
* Buffer overflowChris Newman
+- Re: Buffer overflowIan
+* Re: Buffer overflowPaul Sprangers
|`* Re: Buffer overflowChris Newman
| `* Re: Buffer overflowChris Craig
|  +- Re: Buffer overflowChris Newman
|  `* Re: Buffer overflowDave
|   `- Re: Buffer overflowDave
`* Re: Buffer overflowBarry Ould
 +* Re: Buffer overflowJean-Michel
 |`* Re: Buffer overflowBarry Ould
 | +* Re: Buffer overflowChris Newman
 | |`* Re: Buffer overflowBarry Ould
 | | +- Re: Buffer overflowChris Hughes
 | | `* Re: Buffer overflowHarriet Bazley
 | |  `* Re: Buffer overflowChris Newman
 | |   `* Re: Buffer overflowBarry Ould
 | |    `- Re: Buffer overflowChris Newman
 | `- Re: Buffer overflowJean-Michel
 `* Re: Buffer overflowChris Hughes
  `* Re: Buffer overflowChris Newman
   `* Re: Buffer overflowJ Peachey
    +* Re: Buffer overflowTim Hill
    |+- Re: Buffer overflowTim Hill
    |`* Re: Buffer overflowAlan Griffin
    | `- Re: Buffer overflowTim Hill
    `- Re: Buffer overflowChris Newman

Pages:12
Re: Buffer overflow

<8ce7f66d59.jmb@jmc.bruck.orange.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1478&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1478

From: jmc.br...@orange.fr (Jean-Michel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: Buffer overflow
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 18:04:30 +0200
 by: Jean-Michel - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 16:04 UTC

In message <c2808ca9-cd35-4cc8-9ce3-81232c7d6201n@googlegroups.com>
Barry Ould <barry@percygrainger.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 12:07:29 PM UTC+1, Jean-Michel wrote:
>> In message <0d0988a1-9ba7-44e6...@googlegroups.com>
>> Barry Ould <ba...@percygrainger.org> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>
>>> Can anyone in your group help me with a software technical issue? I am
>>> trying to move a programme (Sibelius 7 on Risc PC) back to the
>>> installation disc which is normal when changing computers. However, every
>>> time I try to move the icon back to the floppy disc it tells me the
>>> programme is locked to protect the computer. Do you know how I can
>>> 'unlock' it?
>>
>>> Many thanks for any info you can give me.
>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>
>>> Barry Peter Ould
>> may the disk be write-protected?
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Michel

> Thanks for your quick reply to my query.

> The floppy installation disc is not locked. It is the programme on the
> desktop that gives the locked message when trying to move the icon back to
> the floppy installation disc.
I agree the message would be " disc is write protected"

If the files were locked you would get an 'item locked' message.
Can you specify the message you get.
This is to know if it is a message from RISC OS or from Sibelius.

just an idea ...
The message you are quoting looks like an antivirus message!

> The Sibelius programme was designed to be moved back and forth to the
> floppy installation disc especially when updating the programme. The
> message seems to intimate that either the programme is locked on the hard
> drive or the hard dive is locked and I am not sure how to unlock it? I
> need to access some old Sibelius 7 files in order to update them and then
> import into Sibelius 5 on a PC.

I have Sibelius 7 on my RPC, nice.
(I am testing Rhapsody4 on my ARMX6, it's not Sibelius.)

--
Jean-Michel

Re: Buffer overflow

<596e91e362tim@invalid.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1484&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1484

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 21:17:20 +0100
 by: Tim Hill - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:17 UTC

In article <596d901de3ajg@argonet.co.uk>, Alan Griffin
<ajg@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> On audio and video cassettes there is a tab. If it is there, it is
> write enabled. If you snap it off it is write protected.

Yes, I was thinking of 5.25" disks as I said elsewhere. I remember
software updates arriving on 5.25" which, once obsolete, we used to cut
notches in them to be able to write to them. The controversy was 3.5"
disks being the opposite and not as I misremembered.