A feature is nothing more than a bug with seniority. -- Unknown source

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: For Alan Baker

SubjectAuthor
* For Alan BakerThomas E.
`* Re: For Alan BakerAlan
 `* Re: For Alan BakerThomas E.
  `* Re: For Alan BakerAlan
   `* Re: For Alan BakerThomas E.
    `* Re: For Alan BakerAlan
     `* Re: For Alan BakerThomas E.
      `* Re: For Alan BakerAlan
       `* Re: For Alan BakerThomas E.
        `* Re: For Alan BakerAlan
         `* Re: For Alan BakerThomas E.
          `* Re: For Alan BakerAlan
           `* Re: For Alan Baker-hh
            `* Re: For Alan BakerAlan
             `* Re: For Alan BakerThomas E.
              `* Re: For Alan BakerAlan
               +- Re: For Alan BakerThomas E.
               `- Re: For Alan BakerThomas E.

1
For Alan Baker

<c63335a4-091e-4340-9fb2-47816b6f85a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16066&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16066

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:45:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: For Alan Baker
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:45 UTC

Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJY2wYfN4gs

This video by a highly experienced Apple products user explains in detail the mess that is Siri. Note that he also has experienced the CarPlay/Siri address lookup failure that I see on a regular basis too.

When you get the money together to get a car with CarPlay and experience it on a daily basis you too will find that Siri on CarPlay is not the same as Siri not on CarPlay. But as explained in the video that is far from the only issue.

Re: For Alan Baker

<uprlkr$fh2k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16081&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16081

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: For Alan Baker
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 13:57:47 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 21:57 UTC

On 2024-02-04 05:45, Thomas E. wrote:
> Watch this
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJY2wYfN4gs
>
> This video by a highly experienced Apple products user explains in detail the mess that is Siri. Note that he also has experienced the CarPlay/Siri address lookup failure that I see on a regular basis too.
>
> When you get the money together to get a car with CarPlay and experience it on a daily basis you too will find that Siri on CarPlay is not the same as Siri not on CarPlay. But as explained in the video that is far from the only issue.

Since you don't understand what Siri is to begin with...

....(as evidence by you not understanding the difference between making a
general request to Siri vs using voice recognition in a text field that
knows it's going to be told an address)...

....perhaps a dick like you should drop it before you look even more stupid?

Re: For Alan Baker

<8fafbbc1-0f1b-423b-af2b-cded28a35ab4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16086&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16086

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:09:35 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:09 UTC

On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 4:57:51 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-02-04 05:45, Thomas E. wrote:
> > Watch this
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJY2wYfN4gs
> >
> > This video by a highly experienced Apple products user explains in detail the mess that is Siri. Note that he also has experienced the CarPlay/Siri address lookup failure that I see on a regular basis too.
> >
> > When you get the money together to get a car with CarPlay and experience it on a daily basis you too will find that Siri on CarPlay is not the same as Siri not on CarPlay. But as explained in the video that is far from the only issue.
> Since you don't understand what Siri is to begin with...
>
> ...(as evidence by you not understanding the difference between making a
> general request to Siri vs using voice recognition in a text field that
> knows it's going to be told an address)...
>
> ...perhaps a dick like you should drop it before you look even more stupid?

Asshole, I do understand the difference. I note you do not even respond to the video, just insult the messenger. More details for your education:

Siri is Apple's voice interpretation heuristic algorithm that interfaces with Google (by default, but 3 other options) to translate voice requests to the search engine and return results. Siri is functionally equivalent to the Google Assistant voice interpretation functionality.

Google's voice assistant works better, but pays Apple $billions every year to make Google the default search engine for iOS. Why? Google makes money on Search results. Google would love to avoid those payments to Apple and have its Google Assistant as the iOS default, but of course Apple loves those Google payments and would never allow that to happen. However you can still invoke Google Assistant on iOS with a "Hey Siri Hey Google" verbal command!

Now you need to admit that as shown in the video there are Siri problems so severe that even Apple developers are reportedly frustrated with it.

Re: For Alan Baker

<uptnda$vc77$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16087&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16087

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:40:10 -0800
 by: Alan - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:40 UTC

On 2024-02-06 08:09, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 4:57:51 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
>> On 2024-02-04 05:45, Thomas E. wrote:
>>> Watch this
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJY2wYfN4gs
>>>
>>> This video by a highly experienced Apple products user explains
>>> in detail the mess that is Siri. Note that he also has
>>> experienced the CarPlay/Siri address lookup failure that I see on
>>> a regular basis too.
>>>
>>> When you get the money together to get a car with CarPlay and
>>> experience it on a daily basis you too will find that Siri on
>>> CarPlay is not the same as Siri not on CarPlay. But as explained
>>> in the video that is far from the only issue.
>> Since you don't understand what Siri is to begin with...
>>
>> ...(as evidence by you not understanding the difference between
>> making a general request to Siri vs using voice recognition in a
>> text field that knows it's going to be told an address)...
>>
>> ...perhaps a dick like you should drop it before you look even more
>> stupid?
>
> Asshole, I do understand the difference. I note you do not even
> respond to the video, just insult the messenger. More details for
> your education:

And as usual, you are now trying to "educate" me about things that I
explained to YOU.

> Siri is Apple's voice interpretation heuristic algorithm that
> interfaces with Google (by default, but 3 other options) to translate
> voice requests to the search engine and return results. Siri is
> functionally equivalent to the Google Assistant voice interpretation
> functionality.

But it isn't equivalent to expect a general query to Siri to be the same
as tapping the microphone icon inside the search field of Google Maps, dick.

> Google's voice assistant works better, but pays Apple $billions every
> year to make Google the default search engine for iOS. Why? Google
> makes money on Search results. Google would love to avoid those
> payments to Apple and have its Google Assistant as the iOS default,
> but of course Apple loves those Google payments and would never allow
> that to happen. However you can still invoke Google Assistant on iOS
> with a "Hey Siri Hey Google" verbal command!

Wrong on at least a couple of levels, dick.

> Now you need to admit that as shown in the video there are Siri
> problems so severe that even Apple developers are reportedly
> frustrated with it.

I don't need to do anything for a dick like you.

Re: For Alan Baker

<3743ea80-feaf-42e8-9e0d-4b48804e5c87n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16090&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16090

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 05:56:35 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:56 UTC

On Tuesday, February 6, 2024 at 11:40:14 AM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-02-06 08:09, Thomas E. wrote:

> >> Since you don't understand what Siri is to begin with...
> >>
> >> ...(as evidence by you not understanding the difference between
> >> making a general request to Siri vs using voice recognition in a
> >> text field that knows it's going to be told an address)...
> >>
> >> ...perhaps a dick like you should drop it before you look even more
> >> stupid?
> >
> > Asshole, I do understand the difference. I note you do not even
> > respond to the video, just insult the messenger. More details for
> > your education:
> And as usual, you are now trying to "educate" me about things that I
> explained to YOU.
> >
> > Siri is Apple's voice interpretation heuristic algorithm that
> > interfaces with Google (by default, but 3 other options) to translate
> > voice requests to the search engine and return results. Siri is
> > functionally equivalent to the Google Assistant voice interpretation
> > functionality.
> But it isn't equivalent to expect a general query to Siri to be the same
> as tapping the microphone icon inside the search field of Google Maps, dick.
> >
> > Google's voice assistant works better, but pays Apple $billions every
> > year to make Google the default search engine for iOS. Why? Google
> > makes money on Search results. Google would love to avoid those
> > payments to Apple and have its Google Assistant as the iOS default,
> > but of course Apple loves those Google payments and would never allow
> > that to happen. However you can still invoke Google Assistant on iOS
> > with a "Hey Siri Hey Google" verbal command!
> Wrong on at least a couple of levels, dick.
> >
> > Now you need to admit that as shown in the video there are Siri
> > problems so severe that even Apple developers are reportedly
> > frustrated with it.
> I don't need to do anything for a dick like you.

You did not explain anything to me, I already knew how Siri works. I did not use a general Siri search for an address. I even gave you a link to a video showing that. I used Siri from Apple Maps running on CarPlay. Searching for an address in Apple Maps and Google Maps is functionally equivalent and should give the same results. What is different is that Siri results when using CarPlay are different from an iPhone alone. Of course, since you don't have CarPlay in your BMW, you cannot even speak to using CarPlay on a daily basis like I do in my Accord and CRV.

Wrong about Google's Voice Assistant on a couple of levels? What precisely is wrong? Refute with facts and links, not just allegations.

If there is an asshole in this conversation it's YOU! You will not give a complete and honest answer to anything.

Re: For Alan Baker

<uq3q95$27ic3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16100&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16100

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 16:05:57 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 00:05 UTC

On 2024-02-08 05:56, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 6, 2024 at 11:40:14 AM UTC-5, Alan wrote:

>>> Asshole, I do understand the difference. I note you do not even
>>> respond to the video, just insult the messenger. More details
>>> for your education:
>> And as usual, you are now trying to "educate" me about things that
>> I explained to YOU.
>>>
>>> Siri is Apple's voice interpretation heuristic algorithm that
>>> interfaces with Google (by default, but 3 other options) to
>>> translate voice requests to the search engine and return results.
>>> Siri is functionally equivalent to the Google Assistant voice
>>> interpretation functionality.
>> But it isn't equivalent to expect a general query to Siri to be the
>> same as tapping the microphone icon inside the search field of
>> Google Maps, dick.
>>>
>>> Google's voice assistant works better, but pays Apple $billions
>>> every year to make Google the default search engine for iOS. Why?
>>> Google makes money on Search results. Google would love to avoid
>>> those payments to Apple and have its Google Assistant as the iOS
>>> default, but of course Apple loves those Google payments and
>>> would never allow that to happen. However you can still invoke
>>> Google Assistant on iOS with a "Hey Siri Hey Google" verbal
>>> command!
>> Wrong on at least a couple of levels, dick.
>>>
>>> Now you need to admit that as shown in the video there are Siri
>>> problems so severe that even Apple developers are reportedly
>>> frustrated with it.
>> I don't need to do anything for a dick like you.
>
> You did not explain anything to me, I already knew how Siri works.

No. You clearly did not.

> I did not use a general Siri search for an address.

Yes. You quite clearly did.

> I even gave you a link to a video showing that.

Rewriting history again, dick?

I can see you've carefully taken down the videos you used to "prove"
your claims previously.

When was that?

> I used Siri from Apple Maps running on CarPlay.

No. You gave a general query to Siri without even prefacing it with
"directions to".

> Searching for an address in Apple Maps and Google Maps is
> functionally equivalent and should give the same results.

Giving a general query to Siri is functionally different than tapping on
the microphone icon IN Google's address field.

> What is different is that Siri results when using CarPlay are
> different from an iPhone alone.

Not when they are used in the same way, they aren't.

> Of course, since you don't have CarPlay in your BMW, you cannot even
> speak to using CarPlay on a daily basis like I do in my Accord and
> CRV.

No... ...I can just use my iPhone to do exactly the same things.

> Wrong about Google's Voice Assistant on a couple of levels? What
> precisely is wrong? Refute with facts and links, not just
> allegations.
>
> If there is an asshole in this conversation it's YOU! You will not
> give a complete and honest answer to anything.

What are your children's full names and birthdates?

And Paula's. You certainly didn't mind putting her email out there.

What? You won't give a complete and honest answer?

Shocking.

Re: For Alan Baker

<faa30c10-25a0-4050-9b7f-6d6bfc174186n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16101&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16101

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 17:17:43 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 01:17 UTC

On Thursday, February 8, 2024 at 7:06:01 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-02-08 05:56, Thomas E. wrote:

> >> And as usual, you are now trying to "educate" me about things that
> >> I explained to YOU.

> >> But it isn't equivalent to expect a general query to Siri to be the
> >> same as tapping the microphone icon inside the search field of
> >> Google Maps, dick.

> >> Wrong on at least a couple of levels, dick.

> >> I don't need to do anything for a dick like you.
> >
> > You did not explain anything to me, I already knew how Siri works.
> No. You clearly did not.
> > I did not use a general Siri search for an address.
> Yes. You quite clearly did.
> > I even gave you a link to a video showing that.
> Rewriting history again, dick?
>
> I can see you've carefully taken down the videos you used to "prove"
> your claims previously.
>
> When was that?
> > I used Siri from Apple Maps running on CarPlay.
> No. You gave a general query to Siri without even prefacing it with
> "directions to".
> > Searching for an address in Apple Maps and Google Maps is
> > functionally equivalent and should give the same results.
> Giving a general query to Siri is functionally different than tapping on
> the microphone icon IN Google's address field.
> > What is different is that Siri results when using CarPlay are
> > different from an iPhone alone.
> Not when they are used in the same way, they aren't.
> > Of course, since you don't have CarPlay in your BMW, you cannot even
> > speak to using CarPlay on a daily basis like I do in my Accord and
> > CRV.
> No... ...I can just use my iPhone to do exactly the same things.
> >
> > Wrong about Google's Voice Assistant on a couple of levels? What
> > precisely is wrong? Refute with facts and links, not just
> > allegations.
> >
> > If there is an asshole in this conversation it's YOU! You will not
> > give a complete and honest answer to anything.
> What are your children's full names and birthdates?
>
> And Paula's. You certainly didn't mind putting her email out there.
>
> What? You won't give a complete and honest answer?
>
> Shocking.

No I did not use Siri outside Maps. I did take those videos down. My Google Drive space was running low.

But I made a YouTube video last April in which I show that Siri on CarPlay outside and within Maps fails to find two business locations that Google can. Try the same on CarPlay in YOUR car. Then show me your results on YouTube.

Here is the video link. You can skip the intro, it has chapter markers to let you do that. Yes, CarPlay makes a difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7VdYHcmEk

My wife's and kids' personal details are very different from asking you to point out my errors. You used that as a deflection to dodge my question because you can't admit I'm correct.

Re: For Alan Baker

<uq4681$2f1g9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16105&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16105

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:30:09 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 03:30 UTC

On 2024-02-08 17:17, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Thursday, February 8, 2024 at 7:06:01 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:

>>> You did not explain anything to me, I already knew how Siri
>>> works.
>> No. You clearly did not.
>>> I did not use a general Siri search for an address.
>> Yes. You quite clearly did.
>>> I even gave you a link to a video showing that.
>> Rewriting history again, dick?
>>
>> I can see you've carefully taken down the videos you used to
>> "prove" your claims previously.
>>
>> When was that?
>>> I used Siri from Apple Maps running on CarPlay.
>> No. You gave a general query to Siri without even prefacing it
>> with "directions to".
>>> Searching for an address in Apple Maps and Google Maps is
>>> functionally equivalent and should give the same results.
>> Giving a general query to Siri is functionally different than
>> tapping on the microphone icon IN Google's address field.
>>> What is different is that Siri results when using CarPlay are
>>> different from an iPhone alone.
>> Not when they are used in the same way, they aren't.
>>> Of course, since you don't have CarPlay in your BMW, you cannot
>>> even speak to using CarPlay on a daily basis like I do in my
>>> Accord and CRV.
>> No... ...I can just use my iPhone to do exactly the same things.
>>>
>>> Wrong about Google's Voice Assistant on a couple of levels? What
>>> precisely is wrong? Refute with facts and links, not just
>>> allegations.
>>>
>>> If there is an asshole in this conversation it's YOU! You will
>>> not give a complete and honest answer to anything.
>> What are your children's full names and birthdates?
>>
>> And Paula's. You certainly didn't mind putting her email out
>> there.
>>
>> What? You won't give a complete and honest answer?
>>
>> Shocking.
>
> No I did not use Siri outside Maps.

You're a liar or just too stupid to drive.

You used SIRI and simply assumed that if Maps was showing, that anything
you said would be limited to directions.

> I did take those videos down. My Google Drive space was running low.

Sure... ...dick.

> But I made a YouTube video last April in which I show that Siri on
> CarPlay outside and within Maps fails to find two business locations
> that Google can. Try the same on CarPlay in YOUR car. Then show me
> your results on YouTube.

And you still don't understand that Siri via CarPlay is STILL just using
Siri...

....ON YOUR PHONE.

> Here is the video link. You can skip the intro, it has chapter
> markers to let you do that. Yes, CarPlay makes a difference
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7VdYHcmEk

And right away, you assume that because you've brought up Apple Maps,
anything you say to Siri will be interpreted as a request for directions:

"Hey Siri, Northeast Taildraggers RC Club, Noblesville".

As I've now said many times (because you're apparently too thick to
comprehend it):

Siri is a general purpose digital assistant.

Just because Apple Maps is frontmost doesn't prevent you from asking
Siri to play music or make a phone call.

And even if Apple Maps doesn't find "Northeastside Taildraggers RC
Aviation Club" (that's the name Google finds for it), that has nothing
to do with Siri per se.

And when you said, "12999" you dropped "north"...

....but when you searched using Google Maps, you suddenly included
"north" again.

You don't have an honest bone in your entire body... ...dick.

And as we discussed before, you could have simple said "Get directions
to Manor Care".

That works from here in Vancouver... ...dick.

> My wife's and kids' personal details are very different from asking
> you to point out my errors. You used that as a deflection to dodge my
> question because you can't admit I'm correct.

I used it to point out your hypocrisy...

...and it worked just as I thought.

If I don't answer to your satisfaction, that means I have something to
hide; even when it IS private.

Re: For Alan Baker

<3e1ec244-61c1-429b-a66a-e2effeef90c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16110&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16110

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 08:41:19 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

Click here to read the complete article
Re: For Alan Baker

<uqgaac$26hg5$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16117&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16117

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 09:53:15 -0800
 by: Alan - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:53 UTC

On 2024-02-12 08:41, Thomas E. wrote:
> For someone who does not use CarPlay on a daily basis you seem to think
> you know how it works. It's not the same experience you get using Siri
> from a phone or tablet. As I said in the video, Siri works most of the
> time. Google Assistant is better at fuzzy logic.
>
> Finally, if Siri cannot understand that a request coming from the Apple
> Maps App on CarPlay is asking for a location or directions what good is
> it for that purpose? That's the basis of the many issues cited in the
> YouTube video cited above. Now with the launch of Copilot Siri is
> falling even farther behind.

Wow, you are thick, dick.

"if Siri cannot understand that a request coming from the Apple Maps App
on CarPlay is asking for a location or directions what good is it for
that purpose?"

Because, you incredible simpleton...

....Siri is the GENERAL PURPOSE DIGITAL ASSISTANT.

What application is in the foreground makes no difference to Siri's
response. For all Siri can know, you could be asking to play music, or
make a phone call, and if you want to just give a location when Apple
Maps is foremost, there is an interface within CarPlay to do PRECISELY
that. And what's more, you know it, you lying piece of shit.

All through these comparisons, you have deliberately compared making a
general query to Siri with tapping the microphone icon WITHIN Google
Maps location field. That is utterly dishonest, and so very much on brand.

Re: For Alan Baker

<b03e9fba-6bfe-431c-a35a-d94cea9f4bcen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16118&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16118

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 03:58:15 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:58 UTC

On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 12:53:19 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-02-12 08:41, Thomas E. wrote:
> > For someone who does not use CarPlay on a daily basis you seem to think
> > you know how it works. It's not the same experience you get using Siri
> > from a phone or tablet. As I said in the video, Siri works most of the
> > time. Google Assistant is better at fuzzy logic.
> >
> > Finally, if Siri cannot understand that a request coming from the Apple
> > Maps App on CarPlay is asking for a location or directions what good is
> > it for that purpose? That's the basis of the many issues cited in the
> > YouTube video cited above. Now with the launch of Copilot Siri is
> > falling even farther behind.
> Wow, you are thick, dick.
> "if Siri cannot understand that a request coming from the Apple Maps App
> on CarPlay is asking for a location or directions what good is it for
> that purpose?"
> Because, you incredible simpleton...
>
> ...Siri is the GENERAL PURPOSE DIGITAL ASSISTANT.
>
> What application is in the foreground makes no difference to Siri's
> response. For all Siri can know, you could be asking to play music, or
> make a phone call, and if you want to just give a location when Apple
> Maps is foremost, there is an interface within CarPlay to do PRECISELY
> that. And what's more, you know it, you lying piece of shit.
>
> All through these comparisons, you have deliberately compared making a
> general query to Siri with tapping the microphone icon WITHIN Google
> Maps location field. That is utterly dishonest, and so very much on brand..

No Alan, you lied yet again. After trying a general Siri search within Apple Maps, without success, I invoked Siri with a tap on the screen. Go to 5:36 at the URL below. I tap the Siri icon. Siri's responded "Where do you want to go." clearly indicating that Siri was aware I was making a request from the Apple Maps app and wants a location for navigation. Siri did not find the requested location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7VdYHcmEk

Now go to 6:40 and you are in Google Maps. I tap the voice icon and make the same request. Google Maps finds the correct location and offers navigation.

Now open Apple Maps on your iPhone. Tap the microphone icon. Say "Northeast Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville". My result is "No matching places found".. If you get a different result please post a video showing how you did it.

Now, from the iPhone home page ask Siri "Navigate to Northeast Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville" and "Drive to Northeast Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville". Siri returns general search results. Maps is not invoked with driving directions. At least not here.

So why can Google find it and Siri cannot? Why does "Drive to ..." not invoke Apple Maps? Siri's heuristics.

Please admit that if you tap the Siri icon from within Apple Maps on CarPlay Siri knows the request is coming from Maps.

Re: For Alan Baker

<uqilkh$2mmc1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16122&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16122

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 07:18:41 -0800
<b03e9fba-6bfe-431c-a35a-d94cea9f4bcen@googlegroups.com>
 by: Alan - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 15:18 UTC

On 2024-02-14 03:58, Thomas E. wrote:
> [...]
> offers navigation.
>
> Now open Apple Maps on your iPhone. Tap the microphone icon. Say
> "Northeast Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville". My result is "No
> matching places found". If you get a different result please post a
> video showing how you did it.
>
> Now, from the iPhone home page ask Siri "Navigate to Northeast
> Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville" and "Drive to Northeast
> Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville". Siri returns general search
> results. Maps is not invoked with driving directions. At least not
> here.
>
> So why can Google find it and Siri cannot? Why does "Drive to ..."
> not invoke Apple Maps? Siri's heuristics.
>
> Please admit that if you tap the Siri icon from within Apple Maps on
> CarPlay Siri knows the request is coming from Maps.

"This video by a highly experienced Apple products user explains in

All you've discovered is that Apple hasn't included an obscure little
hobbyist club in their database...

....dick.

Re: For Alan Baker

<39cffc44-598d-44a0-9f71-78046d144a90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16124&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16124

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:50:26 -0800 (PST)
From: recscuba...@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:50 UTC

On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 10:18:44 AM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-02-14 03:58, Thomas E. wrote:

> >> Wow, you are thick, dick. "if Siri cannot understand that a request
> >> coming from the Apple Maps App on CarPlay is asking for a location
> >> or directions what good is it for that purpose?" Because, you
> >> incredible simpleton...
> >>
> >> ...Siri is the GENERAL PURPOSE DIGITAL ASSISTANT.
> >>
> >> What application is in the foreground makes no difference to
> >> Siri's response. For all Siri can know, you could be asking to play
> >> music, or make a phone call, and if you want to just give a
> >> location when Apple Maps is foremost, there is an interface within
> >> CarPlay to do PRECISELY that. And what's more, you know it, you
> >> lying piece of shit.
> >>
> >> All through these comparisons, you have deliberately compared
> >> making a general query to Siri with tapping the microphone icon
> >> WITHIN Google Maps location field. That is utterly dishonest, and
> >> so very much on brand.
> >
> > No Alan, you lied yet again. After trying a general Siri search
> > within Apple Maps, without success, I invoked Siri with a tap on the
> > screen. Go to 5:36 at the URL below. I tap the Siri icon. Siri's
> > responded "Where do you want to go." clearly indicating that Siri was
> > aware I was making a request from the Apple Maps app and wants a
> > location for navigation. Siri did not find the requested location.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7VdYHcmEk
> >
> > Now go to 6:40 and you are in Google Maps. I tap the voice icon and
> > make the same request. Google Maps finds the correct location and
> > offers navigation.
> >
> > Now open Apple Maps on your iPhone. Tap the microphone icon. Say
> > "Northeast Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville". My result is "No
> > matching places found". If you get a different result please post a
> > video showing how you did it.
> >
> > Now, from the iPhone home page ask Siri "Navigate to Northeast
> > Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville" and "Drive to Northeast
> > Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville". Siri returns general search
> > results. Maps is not invoked with driving directions. At least not
> > here.
> >
> > So why can Google find it and Siri cannot? Why does "Drive to ..."
> > not invoke Apple Maps? Siri's heuristics.
> >
> > Please admit that if you tap the Siri icon from within Apple Maps on
> > CarPlay Siri knows the request is coming from Maps.
>
> "This video by a highly experienced Apple products user explains in
> detail the mess that is Siri."
>
> All you've discovered is that Apple hasn't included an obscure little
> hobbyist club in their database...
>
> ...dick.

Not really a surprise. A mapping gap that I’ve recently found is this
address: “4 Volunteers Court, Lake Hiawatha, NJ 07034”

Apple Maps has nothing, whereas Google *claims* to know, but is wrong.

Until either/both get fixed, the pragmatic solution is to use the supermarket
located around the corner as one’s navigation landmark.

-hh

Re: For Alan Baker

<uqit5q$2o81s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16125&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16125

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:27:21 -0800
<b03e9fba-6bfe-431c-a35a-d94cea9f4bcen@googlegroups.com>
<uqilkh$2mmc1$1@dont-email.me>
<39cffc44-598d-44a0-9f71-78046d144a90n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Alan - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:27 UTC

On 2024-02-14 08:50, -hh wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 10:18:44 AM UTC-5, Alan wrote:

>>> No Alan, you lied yet again. After trying a general Siri search
>>> within Apple Maps, without success, I invoked Siri with a tap on the
>>> screen. Go to 5:36 at the URL below. I tap the Siri icon. Siri's
>>> responded "Where do you want to go." clearly indicating that Siri was
>>> aware I was making a request from the Apple Maps app and wants a
>>> location for navigation. Siri did not find the requested location.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7VdYHcmEk
>>>
>>> Now go to 6:40 and you are in Google Maps. I tap the voice icon and
>>> make the same request. Google Maps finds the correct location and
>>> offers navigation.
>>>
>>> Now open Apple Maps on your iPhone. Tap the microphone icon. Say
>>> "Northeast Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville". My result is "No
>>> matching places found". If you get a different result please post a
>>> video showing how you did it.
>>>
>>> Now, from the iPhone home page ask Siri "Navigate to Northeast
>>> Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville" and "Drive to Northeast
>>> Taildraggers RC Club Noblesville". Siri returns general search
>>> results. Maps is not invoked with driving directions. At least not
>>> here.
>>>
>>> So why can Google find it and Siri cannot? Why does "Drive to ..."
>>> not invoke Apple Maps? Siri's heuristics.
>>>
>>> Please admit that if you tap the Siri icon from within Apple Maps on
>>> CarPlay Siri knows the request is coming from Maps.
>>
>> "This video by a highly experienced Apple products user explains in
>> detail the mess that is Siri."
>>
>> All you've discovered is that Apple hasn't included an obscure little
>> hobbyist club in their database...
>>
>> ...dick.
>
> Not really a surprise. A mapping gap that I’ve recently found is this
> address: “4 Volunteers Court, Lake Hiawatha, NJ 07034”
>
> Apple Maps has nothing, whereas Google *claims* to know, but is wrong.
>
> Until either/both get fixed, the pragmatic solution is to use the supermarket
> located around the corner as one’s navigation landmark.

Yup. Just like little Tommy was told that if for some reason Apple Maps
(not Siri) doesn't understand "12999 North Pennsylvania Street", he
could simply have said "Manor Care".

Surprise, surprise, he never acknowledged that that worked.

Re: For Alan Baker

<33d662a2-93bb-4041-8991-41b2525ee34en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16127&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16127

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:13:33 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:13 UTC

On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 12:27:25 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-02-14 08:50, -hh wrote:

> >> "This video by a highly experienced Apple products user explains in
> >> detail the mess that is Siri."
> >>
> >> All you've discovered is that Apple hasn't included an obscure little
> >> hobbyist club in their database...
> >>
> >> ...dick.
> >
> > Not really a surprise. A mapping gap that I’ve recently found is this
> > address: “4 Volunteers Court, Lake Hiawatha, NJ 07034”
> >
> > Apple Maps has nothing, whereas Google *claims* to know, but is wrong.
> >
> > Until either/both get fixed, the pragmatic solution is to use the supermarket
> > located around the corner as one’s navigation landmark.
> Yup. Just like little Tommy was told that if for some reason Apple Maps
> (not Siri) doesn't understand "12999 North Pennsylvania Street", he
> could simply have said "Manor Care".
>
> Surprise, surprise, he never acknowledged that that worked.

You lying shit. That's because it did not work. Siri results do not include a whole set of area Majestic Care locations, the correct name for that facility.

From my location Siri asked for "Manor Care" brings up 2 facilities nowhere close to Carmel, not to mention Pennsylvania St. The facility at 12999 N. Penn. is Majestic Care. When I ask Siri for Majestic Care I get a single location in Sheridan IN. Same request on Google brings up about a dozen locations for this large chain of elder care facilities, including the one in Sheridan and the one at 12999 N. Penn.

Screen recording, you can see what I requested on-screen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wki5uxXtMAoVtIwsv53xAc07Wq55zz8s/view?usp=sharing

Siri is a mess. Far inferior to Google's results.

Re: For Alan Baker

<ur041p$205um$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16129&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16129

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:44:25 -0800
<b03e9fba-6bfe-431c-a35a-d94cea9f4bcen@googlegroups.com>
<uqilkh$2mmc1$1@dont-email.me>
<39cffc44-598d-44a0-9f71-78046d144a90n@googlegroups.com>
<uqit5q$2o81s$1@dont-email.me>
<33d662a2-93bb-4041-8991-41b2525ee34en@googlegroups.com>
 by: Alan - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:44 UTC

On 2024-02-19 09:13, Thomas E. wrote:

>>> Until either/both get fixed, the pragmatic solution is to use the
>>> supermarket located around the corner as one’s navigation
>>> landmark.
>> Yup. Just like little Tommy was told that if for some reason Apple
>> Maps (not Siri) doesn't understand "12999 North Pennsylvania
>> Street", he could simply have said "Manor Care".
>>
>> Surprise, surprise, he never acknowledged that that worked.
>
> You lying shit. That's because it did not work. Siri results do not
> include a whole set of area Majestic Care locations, the correct name
> for that facility.

Sorry, but until recently it was "HCR ManorCare" and now it is
"ManorCare Assisted Living of Summer Trace"

> From my location Siri asked for "Manor Care" brings up 2 facilities
> nowhere close to Carmel, not to mention Pennsylvania St.

So explain why it works perfectly for me, dick. You've seen the videos
from me:

> The facility
> at 12999 N. Penn. is Majestic Care. When I ask Siri for Majestic Care
> I get a single location in Sheridan IN. Same request on Google brings
> up about a dozen locations for this large chain of elder care
> facilities, including the one in Sheridan and the one at 12999 N.
> Penn.

<https://www.promedicaskillednursing.org/locations/manorcare-assisted-living-of-summer-trace-redirect/>

And:

<https://www.mapquest.com/us/indiana/hcr-manor-care-417674271>

So not only does Apple Maps still know it as "HCR Manor Care"...

....so does MapQuest...

....and Google will still find it by its old name as well:

<https://www.google.com/maps/place/ManorCare+Assisted+Living+of+Summer+Trace/@39.9753555,-86.1565977,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x8814ac41c29b5491:0xf1c331f5780205c5!8m2!3d39.9753555!4d-86.1540228!16s%2Fg%2F1tdy9p2k?entry=ttu>

So, as usual, you lie by semantics, dick.

> Screen recording, you can see what I requested on-screen:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wki5uxXtMAoVtIwsv53xAc07Wq55zz8s/view?usp=sharing

"It's taking longer than expected to process your video."

How convenient.

> Siri is a mess. Far inferior to Google's results.

Dickhead: SIRI is NOT Apple MAPS.

Re: For Alan Baker

<30495636-7d4e-4d1b-8557-91811a0d9eb7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16132&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16132

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 14:14:10 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 22:14 UTC

On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 12:44:29 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:

> >> Yup. Just like little Tommy was told that if for some reason Apple
> >> Maps (not Siri) doesn't understand "12999 North Pennsylvania
> >> Street", he could simply have said "Manor Care".
> >>
> >> Surprise, surprise, he never acknowledged that that worked.
> >
> > You lying shit. That's because it did not work. Siri results do not
> > include a whole set of area Majestic Care locations, the correct name
> > for that facility.
> Sorry, but until recently it was "HCR ManorCare" and now it is
> "ManorCare Assisted Living of Summer Trace"
> >
> > From my location Siri asked for "Manor Care" brings up 2 facilities
> > nowhere close to Carmel, not to mention Pennsylvania St.
> So explain why it works perfectly for me, dick. You've seen the videos
> from me:
> > The facility
> > at 12999 N. Penn. is Majestic Care. When I ask Siri for Majestic Care
> > I get a single location in Sheridan IN. Same request on Google brings
> > up about a dozen locations for this large chain of elder care
> > facilities, including the one in Sheridan and the one at 12999 N.
> > Penn.
> <https://www.promedicaskillednursing.org/locations/manorcare-assisted-living-of-summer-trace-redirect/>
>
> And:
>
> <https://www.mapquest.com/us/indiana/hcr-manor-care-417674271>
>
> So not only does Apple Maps still know it as "HCR Manor Care"...
>
> ...so does MapQuest...
>
> ...and Google will still find it by its old name as well:
>
> <https://www.google.com/maps/place/ManorCare+Assisted+Living+of+Summer+Trace/@39.9753555,-86.1565977,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x8814ac41c29b5491:0xf1c331f5780205c5!8m2!3d39.9753555!4d-86.1540228!16s%2Fg%2F1tdy9p2k?entry=ttu>
>
> So, as usual, you lie by semantics, dick.
> >
> > Screen recording, you can see what I requested on-screen:
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wki5uxXtMAoVtIwsv53xAc07Wq55zz8s/view?usp=sharing
> "It's taking longer than expected to process your video."
>
> How convenient.
> >
> > Siri is a mess. Far inferior to Google's results.
> Dickhead: SIRI is NOT Apple MAPS.

You lying shit. You said above try "Manor Care" now you give me a different name. How is everyone supposed to know the old name if looking for the address?

Anyway, the current name is not "ManorCare Assisted Living of Summer Trace" it's "Majestic Care of Carmel". Yes, you can still find it by the old name.. When I Google "Majestic Care of Carmel" on my phone I get this note:

"Formerly ManorCare Health Services-Summer Trace: At Majestic Care of Carmel, you are more than a patient, you are a valued individual who deserves the highest level of clinical care – and understanding." You lie again.

It takes a while to process a Google Drive video, try again. The Siri results are at the very end. I just tried using Siri "Manor Care Carmel" and got three results, one was correct. But the Penn. St. result says "Permanently Closed" which it is not, just a name change.

Correct, Siri is not Apple Maps. Siri is just a heuristic algorithm that can't interpret spoken words reliably to get consistently valid returns from Apple Maps. Apple Maps itself is a lot better than Siri but far from perfect.

Re: For Alan Baker

<17e2a4ac-20c1-45fe-b7f9-5c4d8d974590n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16134&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16134

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 06:19:31 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:19 UTC

> >> Yup. Just like little Tommy was told that if for some reason Apple
> >> Maps (not Siri) doesn't understand "12999 North Pennsylvania
> >> Street", he could simply have said "Manor Care".
> >>
> >> Surprise, surprise, he never acknowledged that that worked.
> >
> > You lying shit. That's because it did not work. Siri results do not
> > include a whole set of area Majestic Care locations, the correct name
> > for that facility.
> Sorry, but until recently it was "HCR ManorCare" and now it is
> "ManorCare Assisted Living of Summer Trace"
> >
> > From my location Siri asked for "Manor Care" brings up 2 facilities
> > nowhere close to Carmel, not to mention Pennsylvania St.
> So explain why it works perfectly for me, dick. You've seen the videos
> from me:
> > The facility
> > at 12999 N. Penn. is Majestic Care. When I ask Siri for Majestic Care
> > I get a single location in Sheridan IN. Same request on Google brings
> > up about a dozen locations for this large chain of elder care
> > facilities, including the one in Sheridan and the one at 12999 N.
> > Penn.
> <https://www.promedicaskillednursing.org/locations/manorcare-assisted-living-of-summer-trace-redirect/>
>
> And:
>
> <https://www.mapquest.com/us/indiana/hcr-manor-care-417674271>
>
> So not only does Apple Maps still know it as "HCR Manor Care"...
>
> ...so does MapQuest...
>
> ...and Google will still find it by its old name as well:
>
> <https://www.google.com/maps/place/ManorCare+Assisted+Living+of+Summer+Trace/@39.9753555,-86.1565977,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x8814ac41c29b5491:0xf1c331f5780205c5!8m2!3d39.9753555!4d-86.1540228!16s%2Fg%2F1tdy9p2k?entry=ttu>
>
> So, as usual, you lie by semantics, dick.
> >
> > Screen recording, you can see what I requested on-screen:
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wki5uxXtMAoVtIwsv53xAc07Wq55zz8s/view?usp=sharing
> "It's taking longer than expected to process your video."
>
> How convenient.
> >
> > Siri is a mess. Far inferior to Google's results.
> Dickhead: SIRI is NOT Apple MAPS.

Siri is a mess. A few citations:

https://www.howtogeek.com/siri-still-sucks-how-to-work-around-it/
https://piunikaweb.com/2023/10/17/iphone-users-disappointed-with-siri-even-after-ios-17-update/