Be careful when a loop exits to the same place from side and bottom.

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

SubjectAuthor
* REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?Simon Clubley
+* Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?Phillip Helbig (undress to reply

Pages:12
REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<sp84b7$9vr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19266&group=comp.os.vms#19266

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 18:44:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 18:44 UTC

I've just discovered there doesn't appear to be a way to do a REPLY/ALL
within VMS Mail so that your reply goes to both the sender and the other
people who received the original message.

Does anyone know of a way to do a REPLY/ALL within VMS Mail ?

Thanks,

Simon.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<sp8f2m$258$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19281&group=comp.os.vms#19281

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 21:48:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 21:48 UTC

In article <sp84b7$9vr$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
<clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> I've just discovered there doesn't appear to be a way to do a REPLY/ALL
> within VMS Mail so that your reply goes to both the sender and the other
> people who received the original message.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to do a REPLY/ALL within VMS Mail ?

I'm pretty sure that there is not an obvious, easy way. I usually do
REPLY then cut-and-paste what is in the CC field. That can be a problem
if it is too long, as it is then in the RFC822 headers (which I have at
the bottom, of course).

If it's a one-off thing, cut and paste. If there is a regular group,
create a distribution list and FORWARD your replies to that (but then
you have to cut-and-paste the subject).

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<sp8f7s$258$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19282&group=comp.os.vms#19282

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 21:50:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 21:50 UTC

In article <sp84b7$9vr$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
<clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> I've just discovered there doesn't appear to be a way to do a REPLY/ALL
> within VMS Mail so that your reply goes to both the sender and the other
> people who received the original message.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to do a REPLY/ALL within VMS Mail ?

VSI obviously has to improve MAIL by adding the ALL qualifier. While
they're at it:

FORWARD/KEEP_SUBJECT (for backwards compatibility don't change the
default)

/BCC

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<sp8j35$nn5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19284&group=comp.os.vms#19284

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 17:56:27 -0500
 by: Dave Froble - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 22:56 UTC

On 12/13/2021 4:50 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <sp84b7$9vr$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
> <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
>
>> I've just discovered there doesn't appear to be a way to do a REPLY/ALL
>> within VMS Mail so that your reply goes to both the sender and the other
>> people who received the original message.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way to do a REPLY/ALL within VMS Mail ?
>
> VSI obviously has to improve MAIL by adding the ALL qualifier. While
> they're at it:
>
> FORWARD/KEEP_SUBJECT (for backwards compatibility don't change the
> default)
>
> /BCC

Odds are, VSI will not spend one minute on VMS mail.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<sp8j89$cti$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19285&group=comp.os.vms#19285

From: jan-erik...@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 23:59:20 +0100
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 22:59 UTC

Den 2021-12-13 kl. 23:56, skrev Dave Froble:
> On 12/13/2021 4:50 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>> In article <sp84b7$9vr$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
>> <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
>>
>>> I've just discovered there doesn't appear to be a way to do a REPLY/ALL
>>> within VMS Mail so that your reply goes to both the sender and the other
>>> people who received the original message.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a way to do a REPLY/ALL within VMS Mail ?
>>
>> VSI obviously has to improve MAIL by adding the ALL qualifier.  While
>> they're at it:
>>
>> FORWARD/KEEP_SUBJECT (for backwards compatibility don't change the
>> default)
>>
>> /BCC
>>

> Odds are, VSI will not spend one minute on VMS mail.

Hm... I was also just going to "reply" to that.
Why on earth does *VMS* mail need any updates?
Does anyone use VMS mail to anything *at all* today?
The ony use, as I see it, is to sent messages *from*
a VMS system.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<sp9al1$1jf0$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19295&group=comp.os.vms#19295

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 05:38:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 05:38 UTC

In article <sp8j89$cti$1@dont-email.me>,
=?UTF-8?Q?Jan-Erik_S=c3=b6derholm?= <jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com>
writes:

> Hm... I was also just going to "reply" to that.
> Why on earth does *VMS* mail need any updates?
> Does anyone use VMS mail to anything *at all* today?
> The ony use, as I see it, is to sent messages *from*
> a VMS system.

?????

I have been using VMS MAIL for everything since 1991. I send a few and
receive dozens of messages per day. I run a moderation relay for two
newsgroups.

I have used, at work, pine, elm, Lotus Notes, Outlook and so on and am
MUCH more comfortable with VMS MAIL.

Different strokes for different folks.

Of course, you need a proper keyboard to really experience the thrill.
:-)

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<00B6D447.2B7F0A3B@SendSpamHere.ORG>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19298&group=comp.os.vms#19298

From: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:46:29 GMT
 by: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:46 UTC

In article <sp9al1$1jf0$2@gioia.aioe.org>, helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)) writes:
>In article <sp8j89$cti$1@dont-email.me>,
>=?UTF-8?Q?Jan-Erik_S=c3=b6derholm?= <jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com>
>writes:
>
>> Hm... I was also just going to "reply" to that.
>> Why on earth does *VMS* mail need any updates?
>> Does anyone use VMS mail to anything *at all* today?
>> The ony use, as I see it, is to sent messages *from*
>> a VMS system.
>
>?????
>
>I have been using VMS MAIL for everything since 1991. I send a few and
>receive dozens of messages per day. I run a moderation relay for two
>newsgroups.
>
>I have used, at work, pine, elm, Lotus Notes, Outlook and so on and am
>MUCH more comfortable with VMS MAIL.
>
>Different strokes for different folks.
>
>Of course, you need a proper keyboard to really experience the thrill.
>:-)

I too do most of my email on VMS. When emails are HTML or base64 encoded,
I read them on my Mac or Linux. The crux of what I get these days is SPAM.
It's easier to delete a large volume of email on VMS than it is on most of
the GUI mail toys. The worst is the Gmail on my Android tablet. I almost
never use the Gmail and it receives pretty much nothing but SPAM. DELETE,
DELETE, DELETE ad infinitum. If only it had a DELETE/ALL.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spacjn$188u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19306&group=comp.os.vms#19306

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:18:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:18 UTC

In article <00B6D447.2B7F0A3B@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-
@SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

> I too do most of my email on VMS.

Great minds think alike. :-)

> When emails are HTML or base64 encoded,
> I read them on my Mac or Linux.

Most of those I get are actually just plain text. I decode them with
EDT macros. :-)

> The crux of what I get these days is SPAM.

I use the spamhaus RBL and drop connections for non-existent usernames.
That gets rid of most of the spam. I do get a few, but many more real
messages than spam.

> It's easier to delete a large volume of email on VMS than it is on most of
> the GUI mail toys. The worst is the Gmail on my Android tablet. I almost
> never use the Gmail and it receives pretty much nothing but SPAM. DELETE,
> DELETE, DELETE ad infinitum. If only it had a DELETE/ALL.

Indeed. Some allow one to delete all, but then one has to mark them all
first. Other things I miss with mail systems other than VMS:

DIR/SINCE/FROM/TO/SUBJECT/BEFORE etc.: SELECT on multiple criterea.
Also, select, not order by.

Fast paging through a folder. Put the RFC822 headers at the bottom.
The first part of each email is in the main file, so easy to page
through. Only if I need to read more is the auxiliary file accessed for
larger messages.

COPY really copies. I've seen a system where "copy" actually sets a
link, so if one is deleted, both are gone.

TCPIP$SMTP_FROM

Common commands on the numeric keypad, easy to define other keys.

SET BROADCAST=MAIL

"MAIL$SYSTEM_FLAGS" = "55"

Scriptable.

What investments have paid the highest returns in terms of time?
Learning to touch type, learning VMS MAIL, and learning EDT.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spajt7$671$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19319&group=comp.os.vms#19319

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:22:36 -0500
 by: Dave Froble - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:22 UTC

On 12/14/2021 7:46 AM, VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> In article <sp9al1$1jf0$2@gioia.aioe.org>, helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)) writes:
>> In article <sp8j89$cti$1@dont-email.me>,
>> =?UTF-8?Q?Jan-Erik_S=c3=b6derholm?= <jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com>
>> writes:
>>
>>> Hm... I was also just going to "reply" to that.
>>> Why on earth does *VMS* mail need any updates?
>>> Does anyone use VMS mail to anything *at all* today?
>>> The ony use, as I see it, is to sent messages *from*
>>> a VMS system.
>>
>> ?????
>>
>> I have been using VMS MAIL for everything since 1991. I send a few and
>> receive dozens of messages per day. I run a moderation relay for two
>> newsgroups.
>>
>> I have used, at work, pine, elm, Lotus Notes, Outlook and so on and am
>> MUCH more comfortable with VMS MAIL.
>>
>> Different strokes for different folks.
>>
>> Of course, you need a proper keyboard to really experience the thrill.
>> :-)
>
> I too do most of my email on VMS. When emails are HTML or base64 encoded,
> I read them on my Mac or Linux. The crux of what I get these days is SPAM.
> It's easier to delete a large volume of email on VMS than it is on most of
> the GUI mail toys. The worst is the Gmail on my Android tablet. I almost
> never use the Gmail and it receives pretty much nothing but SPAM. DELETE,
> DELETE, DELETE ad infinitum. If only it had a DELETE/ALL.

Oh, that's easy. Delete/remove/disable mail on the tablet. I'm assuming mail
is not the reason you have a tablet?

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spauan$8ji$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19337&group=comp.os.vms#19337

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:20:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:20 UTC

On 2021-12-13, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
> In article <sp84b7$9vr$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
><clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
>
>> I've just discovered there doesn't appear to be a way to do a REPLY/ALL
>> within VMS Mail so that your reply goes to both the sender and the other
>> people who received the original message.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way to do a REPLY/ALL within VMS Mail ?
>
> I'm pretty sure that there is not an obvious, easy way. I usually do
> REPLY then cut-and-paste what is in the CC field. That can be a problem
> if it is too long, as it is then in the RFC822 headers (which I have at
> the bottom, of course).
>
> If it's a one-off thing, cut and paste. If there is a regular group,
> create a distribution list and FORWARD your replies to that (but then
> you have to cut-and-paste the subject).

Thanks Phillip.

It's a pity that DEC/HPE never shipped a more modern command line
mail client as a standard part of VMS so that we could use that while
people like you who are happy with the current client could continue
to use that.

Simon.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spaug5$8ji$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19338&group=comp.os.vms#19338

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:23:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:23 UTC

On 2021-12-13, Jan-Erik Söderholm <jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com> wrote:
> Does anyone use VMS mail to anything *at all* today?
> The ony use, as I see it, is to sent messages *from*
> a VMS system.

The vast majority of the time I don't. It's just that when I
_do_ receive mail on a VMS system, it would be nice to have
better standard tools to reply to it.

I strongly suspect you and David are correct however. :-)

Simon.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spaunc$mcb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19339&group=comp.os.vms#19339

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:27:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:27 UTC

In article <spauan$8ji$3@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
<clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> It's a pity that DEC/HPE never shipped a more modern command line
> mail client as a standard part of VMS so that we could use that while
> people like you who are happy with the current client could continue
> to use that.

I don't think that there would have to be a choice; one could add
qualifiers to the current scheme.

Apparently VMS MAIL can be served to a POP client or whatever.
Presumably there is some command-line POP client, but I don't know and
if sure I don't know whether it would have that functionality.

There is also the DECwindows interface to VMS MAIL, but I'm not familiar
with it and doubt that it provides more functionality.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<61b900e3$0$706$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19342&group=comp.os.vms#19342

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:38:59 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:38 UTC

On 12/14/2021 3:20 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> It's a pity that DEC/HPE never shipped a more modern command line
> mail client as a standard part of VMS so that we could use that while
> people like you who are happy with the current client could continue
> to use that.

PMDF comes with an enhanced VT email client.

Not sure if it supports REPLY/ALL though.

Arne

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spb1fl$436$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19344&group=comp.os.vms#19344

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:14:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:14 UTC

In article <spaug5$8ji$4@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
<clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> On 2021-12-13, Jan-Erik Söderholm <jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone use VMS mail to anything *at all* today?
> > The ony use, as I see it, is to sent messages *from*
> > a VMS system.
>
> The vast majority of the time I don't. It's just that when I
> _do_ receive mail on a VMS system, it would be nice to have
> better standard tools to reply to it.

Is REPLY/ALL all that you miss?

Again, if it is a one-off to one or two people on CC, just cut and paste
the CC line; probably quicker than finding "reply to all" in the
pull-down menu on the GUI. :-) If you are often replying to the same
group, create a distribution list. Add to that the fact that MAIL
translates logical names and that you can define keys and so on then you
could have a one-press command to reply to a certain distribution list.

On the other hand, there are advantages to REPLY/ALL being somewhat
difficult to achieve, or at least not having it the default. :-)
Though sometimes the results are interesting if I can laugh at others'
expense. :-D

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spb1tn$a6r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19346&group=comp.os.vms#19346

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:21:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:21 UTC

In article <61b900e3$0$706$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
=?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:

> On 12/14/2021 3:20 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> > It's a pity that DEC/HPE never shipped a more modern command line
> > mail client as a standard part of VMS so that we could use that while
> > people like you who are happy with the current client could continue
> > to use that.
>
> PMDF comes with an enhanced VT email client.

I have a bit of experience with PMDF, but not on my own cluster. The
usual VMS MAIL commands work exactly like they should. Most people
probably don't even notice PMDF underneath, except when they need some
feature which vanilla MAIL doesn't have.

Also useful: a distribution list in TCPIP$SMTP_COMMON will be seen by
TCPIP before VMS MAIL is reached and forward incoming messages to that
list (which can be any valid email addresses). When doing so, the SMTP
headers stay intact (sometimes a problem when forwarding from within VMS
MAIL).

An empty list silently sends stuff to the bit bucket.

MAIL> SET FORWARD/USER=foo bar@klim.bim or whatever can be used from a
privileged account to set up forwarding for arbitrary users like foo.
They don't have to be real users or valid VMS usernames. The forwarding
address can be a TCPIP address, a VMS MAIL address, a distribution list,
whatever. Useful for creating addresses one mus to enter somewhere so
that one can see who sends email to that address. When no longer
needed, forward it to NL.DIS (which is just empty).

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've never used another mail
utility---and I've used several at work and so on---where I didn't miss
many features of VMS MAIL (and the SMTP stuff in TCPIP on VMS).

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<00B6D491.648E2B28@SendSpamHere.ORG>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19351&group=comp.os.vms#19351

From: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:37:48 GMT
 by: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:37 UTC

In article <spajt7$671$2@dont-email.me>, Dave Froble <davef@tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>On 12/14/2021 7:46 AM, VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
>> In article <sp9al1$1jf0$2@gioia.aioe.org>, helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)) writes:
>>> In article <sp8j89$cti$1@dont-email.me>,
>>> =?UTF-8?Q?Jan-Erik_S=c3=b6derholm?= <jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com>

>>> ?????
>>>
>>> I have been using VMS MAIL for everything since 1991. I send a few and
>>> receive dozens of messages per day. I run a moderation relay for two
>>> newsgroups.
>>>
>>> I have used, at work, pine, elm, Lotus Notes, Outlook and so on and am
>>> MUCH more comfortable with VMS MAIL.
>>>
>>> Different strokes for different folks.
>>>
>>> Of course, you need a proper keyboard to really experience the thrill.
>>> :-)
>>
>> I too do most of my email on VMS. When emails are HTML or base64 encoded,
>> I read them on my Mac or Linux. The crux of what I get these days is SPAM.
>> It's easier to delete a large volume of email on VMS than it is on most of
>> the GUI mail toys. The worst is the Gmail on my Android tablet. I almost
>> never use the Gmail and it receives pretty much nothing but SPAM. DELETE,
>> DELETE, DELETE ad infinitum. If only it had a DELETE/ALL.
>>

>Oh, that's easy. Delete/remove/disable mail on the tablet. I'm assuming mail
>is not the reason you have a tablet?

Correct! I equipped a GPS receiver with an HC-06 bluetooth. The tablet gets
paired with that HC-06. I can then use an app which employs the Google Earth
satellite imagery to show the GPS location. When Google Earth is no available
due to limited WiFi, I can still get a directional compass on the tablet app.
This GPS is for my high power rocketry endeavors.

Sadly, Google make the owner of an Android tablet signup for a Gmail account.
I have no real use/need for anything else onthe tablet.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spb4b1$1b2m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19352&group=comp.os.vms#19352

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 22:03:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 22:03 UTC

In article <00B6D491.648E2B28@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-
@SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

> >Oh, that's easy. Delete/remove/disable mail on the tablet. I'm assuming mail
> >is not the reason you have a tablet?
>
> Correct! I equipped a GPS receiver with an HC-06 bluetooth. The tablet gets
> paired with that HC-06. I can then use an app which employs the Google Earth
> satellite imagery to show the GPS location. When Google Earth is no available
> due to limited WiFi, I can still get a directional compass on the tablet app.
> This GPS is for my high power rocketry endeavors.
>
> Sadly, Google make the owner of an Android tablet signup for a Gmail account.
> I have no real use/need for anything else onthe tablet.

I thought that you were an Apple man. Any reason for the android tablet
as opposed to an iPad?

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spba4k$u2q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19356&group=comp.os.vms#19356

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 18:42:00 -0500
 by: Dave Froble - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 23:42 UTC

On 12/14/2021 5:03 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <00B6D491.648E2B28@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-
> @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
>
>>> Oh, that's easy. Delete/remove/disable mail on the tablet. I'm assuming mail
>>> is not the reason you have a tablet?
>>
>> Correct! I equipped a GPS receiver with an HC-06 bluetooth. The tablet gets
>> paired with that HC-06. I can then use an app which employs the Google Earth
>> satellite imagery to show the GPS location. When Google Earth is no available
>> due to limited WiFi, I can still get a directional compass on the tablet app.
>> This GPS is for my high power rocketry endeavors.
>>
>> Sadly, Google make the owner of an Android tablet signup for a Gmail account.
>> I have no real use/need for anything else onthe tablet.
>
> I thought that you were an Apple man. Any reason for the android tablet
> as opposed to an iPad?

Apple is expensive.

Apple tells you what you may run.

Not that Android is anything good.

I use an Android tablet to practice with Avare, an aviation app, to read Kindle
books, as a clock, and such. It's an appliance. Never a reasonable computer.

Paid $75 for it new from Walmart. Seen any $75 (new) iPads?

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<j1sokrFeepmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19357&group=comp.os.vms#19357

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 18:45:29 -0500
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 23:45 UTC

On 12/14/21 3:27 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <spauan$8ji$3@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
> <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
>
>> It's a pity that DEC/HPE never shipped a more modern command line
>> mail client as a standard part of VMS so that we could use that while
>> people like you who are happy with the current client could continue
>> to use that.
>
> I don't think that there would have to be a choice; one could add
> qualifiers to the current scheme.
>
> Apparently VMS MAIL can be served to a POP client or whatever.
> Presumably there is some command-line POP client, but I don't know and
> if sure I don't know whether it would have that functionality.
>
> There is also the DECwindows interface to VMS MAIL, but I'm not familiar
> with it and doubt that it provides more functionality.

If you find VMS MAIL feature weak but still want a text
based email client there is always PINE. That was very
popular in the last days of VMS in my department at the
University.

bill

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<00B6D512.859B1A5A@SendSpamHere.ORG>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19379&group=comp.os.vms#19379

From: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:02:08 GMT
 by: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:02 UTC

In article <spb4b1$1b2m$1@gioia.aioe.org>, helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)) writes:
>In article <00B6D491.648E2B28@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-
>@SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
>
>> >Oh, that's easy. Delete/remove/disable mail on the tablet. I'm assuming mail
>> >is not the reason you have a tablet?
>>
>> Correct! I equipped a GPS receiver with an HC-06 bluetooth. The tablet gets
>> paired with that HC-06. I can then use an app which employs the Google Earth
>> satellite imagery to show the GPS location. When Google Earth is no available
>> due to limited WiFi, I can still get a directional compass on the tablet app.
>> This GPS is for my high power rocketry endeavors.
>>
>> Sadly, Google make the owner of an Android tablet signup for a Gmail account.
>> I have no real use/need for anything else onthe tablet.
>
>I thought that you were an Apple man. Any reason for the android tablet
>as opposed to an iPad?

Price! Androids are dirt cheap and when lugging a tablet out to dirty pastures,
fields and playas where it'll be used and abused, cheap is most favorable. The
GPS app I've been using (RocketTrack) is Android too.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<00B6D512.D8439D97@SendSpamHere.ORG>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19380&group=comp.os.vms#19380

From: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:04:27 GMT
 by: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:04 UTC

In article <spba4k$u2q$1@dont-email.me>, Dave Froble <davef@tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>On 12/14/2021 5:03 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

>>> Correct! I equipped a GPS receiver with an HC-06 bluetooth. The tablet gets
>>> paired with that HC-06. I can then use an app which employs the Google Earth
>>> satellite imagery to show the GPS location. When Google Earth is no available
>>> due to limited WiFi, I can still get a directional compass on the tablet app.
>>> This GPS is for my high power rocketry endeavors.
>>>
>>> Sadly, Google make the owner of an Android tablet signup for a Gmail account.
>>> I have no real use/need for anything else onthe tablet.
>>
>> I thought that you were an Apple man. Any reason for the android tablet
>> as opposed to an iPad?
>>

>Apple is expensive.

Yup.

>Apple tells you what you may run.

Yup.

>Not that Android is anything good.
>
>I use an Android tablet to practice with Avare, an aviation app, to read Kindle
>books, as a clock, and such. It's an appliance. Never a reasonable computer.
>
>Paid $75 for it new from Walmart. Seen any $75 (new) iPads?

I got the tablet I'm using for $89 at a BestBuy. It's virtually disposable.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spdclc$9if$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19400&group=comp.os.vms#19400

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 18:37:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 18:37 UTC

On 2021-12-14, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
> In article <spaug5$8ji$4@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
><clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
>
>> On 2021-12-13, Jan-Erik Söderholm <jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com> wrote:
>> > Does anyone use VMS mail to anything *at all* today?
>> > The ony use, as I see it, is to sent messages *from*
>> > a VMS system.
>>
>> The vast majority of the time I don't. It's just that when I
>> _do_ receive mail on a VMS system, it would be nice to have
>> better standard tools to reply to it.
>
> Is REPLY/ALL all that you miss?

Quoted replies and integrated MIME support would be nice as well. :-)

I don't use VMS mail all that much these days but when I do receive
an email on a VMS system, it immediately becomes very clear just how
primitive VMS mail actually is.

Following on from a suggestion in another response, I wonder if VSI
would be interested in shipping Pine (or whatever it is called these
days) as a standard part of VMS.

Simon.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spdngf$1pnp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19417&group=comp.os.vms#19417

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:42:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:42 UTC

In article <spdclc$9if$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
<clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> On 2021-12-14, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
> > In article <spaug5$8ji$4@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
> ><clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> >> The vast majority of the time I don't. It's just that when I
> >> _do_ receive mail on a VMS system, it would be nice to have
> >> better standard tools to reply to it.
> >
> > Is REPLY/ALL all that you miss?
> >

> Quoted replies

From my EDTINI.EDT:

!From: SMTP%"FAIRFIELD@slac.stanford.edu" 17-NOV-1995 11:49:25.89
DEFINE MACRO QUOTE
FIND BUFFER QUOTE
insert;set quiet
insert;change; er -l 9999(i> ^Z -2l) ex
insert;set noquiet
FIND LAST
DEFINE KEY GOLD Q AS "EXT QUOTE."

If I want to quote a message, I hit GOLD Q in EDT. I want to choose
whether to quote (i.e. prefix each line with some symbol) each message I
reply to, forward, etc.

Has served me well for more than a quarter of a century. Thanks Ken!

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<spdsdl$srv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19419&group=comp.os.vms#19419

From: jan-erik...@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:06:28 +0100
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 23:06 UTC

Den 2021-12-15 kl. 19:37, skrev Simon Clubley:
> On 2021-12-14, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
>> In article <spaug5$8ji$4@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
>> <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

>>> The vast majority of the time I don't. It's just that when I
>>> _do_ receive mail on a VMS system, it would be nice to have
>>> better standard tools to reply to it.
>>
>> Is REPLY/ALL all that you miss?
>>

> Quoted replies and integrated MIME support would be nice as well. :-)
>
> I don't use VMS mail all that much these days but when I do receive
> an email on a VMS system, it immediately becomes very clear just how
> primitive VMS mail actually is.
>
> Following on from a suggestion in another response, I wonder if VSI
> would be interested in shipping Pine (or whatever it is called these
> days) as a standard part of VMS.

If they have a business case doing that, that is, if it improves the
"bottom line" for VSI, I hope they do that. But does that business case
really exist? Are there paying custumers asking VSI for an improved mail?

> Simon.

Re: REPLY/ALL in VMS Mail client ?

<13ac0d16-c9eb-40fe-b36a-c2341f352c3fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19420&group=comp.os.vms#19420

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:25:57 -0800 (PST)
From: sms.anti...@gmail.com (Steven Schweda)
 by: Steven Schweda - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 23:25 UTC

> [...] I usually do REPLY then cut-and-paste what is in the CC field.
> [...]

Same here. That X Windows stuff is a miracle.

> [...] Does anyone use VMS mail to anything *at all* today? [...]

I do. I have decades worth of old e-mail on my VMS system. I
generally use e-mail for text messages not arbitrary file transfers. I
have FTP/HTTP/... servers for such tasks. Call me stodgy.

> Apparently VMS MAIL can be served to a POP client or whatever. [...]

I'll admit that using VMS MAIL on MIME-encoded messages is a chore,
especially with the multiply painful MIME utility on my system. For
messages with exotic content, I keep a separate VMS account to which I
forward the non-plain-text message. Then I try to read it on a Mac
which uses IMAP to access the server on the VMS system. It often works.

When I do this, the Mac Mail program occasionally tries to consume
all the memory on the (Mac) system, so my confidence in the TCPIP IMAP
server is not very high. Hence I use it only to access the e-mail for
that separate account, not my real/normal account e-mail.