<sangr> home is where the highest bandwidth is

computers / alt.online-service.comcast / Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

SubjectAuthor
* New 5G modemTekkie?
+* Re: New 5G modemJohn Weiss
|+* password annoyances, was: New 5G modemdanny burstein
||+- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemTeddy-Bears
||`- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemFrank
|`* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemdanny burstein
| +* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemBill
| |`* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemleonard hofstatder
| | +* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
| | |`* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemleonard hofstatder
| | | `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
| | |  `- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemleonard hofstatder
| | `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemBill
| |  `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemleonard hofstatder
| |   `- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemBill
| `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemTeddy-Bears
|  +* brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemdanny burstein
|  |+* Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemTeddy-Bears
|  ||+- Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemdanny burstein
|  ||`* Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
|  || +* Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemTeddy-Bears
|  || |`- Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
|  || `* Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemJohn Weiss
|  ||  `- Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
|  |`- Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemJohn Weiss
|  `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemConstantly Morphing Troll
|   `- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemFrank
`* Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDTekkie?
 `* Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDRetirednoguilt
  `* Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDAllodoxaphobia
   `* Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDRetirednoguilt
    `- Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDTeddy-Bears

Pages:12
Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<CcSdnY5vNr4V30b9nZ2dnUU7-a_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=202&group=alt.online-service.comcast#202

Subject: Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
From: cmt...@morph-daily.id (Constantly Morphing Troll)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 11:55:43 -0400
 by: Constantly Morphing - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:55 UTC

On 6/24/2021 8:06 AM, Teddy-Bears wrote:
> On 6/23/21 10:08 PM, this is what danny burstein wrote:
>> [a] comcast/xfiniti.  They were charging us something
>> like $17/month.  I bought a compatible unit which will
>> pay for itself in under a year.
> Mind giving us the make / model?  or Link.

Currently using the $149 Arris Surfboard SB8200.  If it fails tomorrow, I'll replace it with a $199 Arris Surfboard S33.

According to Amazon's sales history, I average about 28 months on a cable modem and about the same for a router.

When I add it all up, renting vs owning turns out to be a wash. I just like that new modem smell.

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sbhv8c$8tr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=203&group=alt.online-service.comcast#203

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 10:31:36 -0400
 by: Frank - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:31 UTC

On 6/29/2021 11:55 AM, Constantly Morphing Troll wrote:
> On 6/24/2021 8:06 AM, Teddy-Bears wrote:
>> On 6/23/21 10:08 PM, this is what danny burstein wrote:
>>> [a] comcast/xfiniti.  They were charging us something
>>> like $17/month.  I bought a compatible unit which will
>>> pay for itself in under a year.
>> Mind giving us the make / model?  or Link.
>>

> Currently using the $149 Arris Surfboard SB8200.  If it fails tomorrow,
> I'll replace it with a $199 Arris Surfboard S33.
>
> According to Amazon's sales history, I average about 28 months on a
> cable modem and about the same for a router.
>
> When I add it all up, renting vs owning turns out to be a wash. I just
> like that new modem smell.

I made the choice to rent after first using my own modem and going
through the troubles of getting Comcast to recognize it and get it on
line. Then when it went bad and I bought another it was agonizing
working with Comcast to get it working. PITA and not worth the bother.

Re: New 5G modem RESOLVED

<zz4DI.20234$LX1.6123@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=204&group=alt.online-service.comcast#204

From: Tek...@comcast.net (Tekkie?)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: New 5G modem RESOLVED
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 16:34:39 -0400
 by: Tekkie? - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 20:34 UTC

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 17:02:03 -0400, Tekkie© posted for all of us to digest...

> Yesterday I got a an email notice I was having a new 5G modem sent to me. Today
> it was delivered. I guess their intent is to get everyone to 5G so they can
> increase their money intake on something I won't use...
>
> Before I open the box and read their 'instructions' what are the pitfalls; from
> the more knowledgeable folks than me. I presume my passwords. Will this screwup
> my wifi thermostat? - I know, it seems like a luxury but when you are disabled
> it all counts ;-). I saw on their online video one needs a smartphone with
> their app. I am not installing their app. I hope it installs easily because I
> don't want to deal with their support (again - ever).
>
> I'll read their blurp and *maybe* try it tomorrow (Thursday). They a have an
> impending doom statement that it MUST be done by July 5th. I assume the present
> one won't work or I'll slip off the edge of the earth...

To make a short recap:

The modem Comcast (C) sent wouldn't work.
C said it was bad.
Switched back to old modem.
C sent out tech.
Tech gave newest model they have - size of small shoe box.
Tech stated all would id's & p/w's would be transferred automatically.
Give it 2 hours for good measure.
Working in less then 10 minutes.
All good all done w/o smartphone.
Another C episode...

--
Tekkie

Re: New 5G modem RESOLVED

<sbkc88$fov$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=205&group=alt.online-service.comcast#205

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 08:25:40 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 12:25 UTC

On 6/30/2021 4:34 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 17:02:03 -0400, Tekkie© posted for all of us to digest...
>

>> Yesterday I got a an email notice I was having a new 5G modem sent to me. Today
>> it was delivered. I guess their intent is to get everyone to 5G so they can
>> increase their money intake on something I won't use...
>>
>> Before I open the box and read their 'instructions' what are the pitfalls; from
>> the more knowledgeable folks than me. I presume my passwords. Will this screwup
>> my wifi thermostat? - I know, it seems like a luxury but when you are disabled
>> it all counts ;-). I saw on their online video one needs a smartphone with
>> their app. I am not installing their app. I hope it installs easily because I
>> don't want to deal with their support (again - ever).
>>
>> I'll read their blurp and *maybe* try it tomorrow (Thursday). They a have an
>> impending doom statement that it MUST be done by July 5th. I assume the present
>> one won't work or I'll slip off the edge of the earth...
>
> To make a short recap:
>
> The modem Comcast (C) sent wouldn't work.
> C said it was bad.
> Switched back to old modem.
> C sent out tech.
> Tech gave newest model they have - size of small shoe box.
> Tech stated all would id's & p/w's would be transferred automatically.
> Give it 2 hours for good measure.
> Working in less then 10 minutes.
> All good all done w/o smartphone.
> Another C episode...

Similar story here. Older model Comcast "gateway" spontaneously
rebooting multiple times/wk plus unreliable wifi (frequently fluctuating
signal strength on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands). Repeated testing of both
our line and gateway from central office showed no apparent problem. No
charge home visit to test line and gateway in my home similarly showed
no problem. However, the tech swapped out our old gateway for their
newest xfi model. Booted up in about 10 minutes automatically capturing
all my triple-play configuration details. Since then, about 3 months
ago, no spontaneous reboot and rock steady wifi signal strength.

Although I could fill a book with complaints about terrible Comcast
installation and repair quality over the past 4 years, lately things
seem to be much better here (D.C. metro area).

Re: New 5G modem RESOLVED

<slrnsdridj.4ih.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=206&group=alt.online-service.comcast#206

From: trepidat...@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: 1 Jul 2021 13:57:07 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 13:57 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 08:25:40 -0400, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 6/30/2021 4:34 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

>> Tech gave newest model they have - size of small shoe box.
>> Tech stated all would id's & p/w's would be transferred automatically.

> ....the tech swapped out our old gateway for their
> newest xfi model. Booted up in about 10 minutes automatically capturing
> all my triple-play configuration details.

You realize, of course, that all your "security" details for the modem are
stored by Comcast up on the mothership?

I recently had a similar experience. A nearby lightning strike took out
the Comcast modem (and a few other things). At the Comcast store they
handed me the 'new' xfi modem. I took it home and installed it --
expecting to spent gobs of time on the phone getting it set up.

Nope.

It came up - using the xfi app - with my previous login userid and
password and settings in place.

That's when I had the light bulb moment.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ | https://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __ linux FreeBSD

Re: New 5G modem RESOLVED

<sbnr9s$6n6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=209&group=alt.online-service.comcast#209

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 16:00:58 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 20:00 UTC

On 7/1/2021 9:57 AM, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 08:25:40 -0400, Retirednoguilt wrote:
>> On 6/30/2021 4:34 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
>
>>> Tech gave newest model they have - size of small shoe box.
>>> Tech stated all would id's & p/w's would be transferred automatically.
>
>> ....the tech swapped out our old gateway for their
>> newest xfi model. Booted up in about 10 minutes automatically capturing
>> all my triple-play configuration details.
>
> You realize, of course, that all your "security" details for the modem are
> stored by Comcast up on the mothership?
>
> I recently had a similar experience. A nearby lightning strike took out
> the Comcast modem (and a few other things). At the Comcast store they
> handed me the 'new' xfi modem. I took it home and installed it --
> expecting to spent gobs of time on the phone getting it set up.
>
> Nope.
>
> It came up - using the xfi app - with my previous login userid and
> password and settings in place.
>
> That's when I had the light bulb moment.
>
> Jonesy

And just today my Xfinity HDDVR cable box "died". Although the time and
power light continue to function, there was no HDMI output. Drove me
nuts until I isolated the problem because I was installing a new 50" TV
and had no problem getting signal from my DVD player, Roku, and Home
Theater into the TV at the 3 other HDMI ports on the TV. I could move
any of them to the 4th HDMI port and they worked equally well, but the
Xfinity box produced a "no signal" error on the TV screen regardless of
which HDMI port I tried. Swapped out a new HDMI cable, no change. Hard
reset of the TV and the Xfinity box, no change. Comcast tech support
told me that although they had never heard of a case it sure sounded to
them as though the cable box was not putting out a signal through it's
HDMI port. A few hours ago I swapped the box for a new one and
immediately everything behaved as expected. I was pleasantly surprised
that after a lengthy initial startup, the new box had all my settings
from the old box, included scheduled and saved recordings. Sometimes
the "cloud" works as it should.

Re: New 5G modem RESOLVED

<sbns1h$bjr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=210&group=alt.online-service.comcast#210

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 16:13:36 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 20:13 UTC

On 7/2/21 4:00 PM, this is what Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 7/1/2021 9:57 AM, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

>>> ....the tech swapped out our old gateway for their
>>> newest xfi model.  Booted up in about 10 minutes automatically capturing
>>> all my triple-play configuration details.
>>
>> You realize, of course, that all your "security" details for the modem are
>> stored by Comcast up on the mothership?
>>
>> I recently had a similar experience.  A nearby lightning strike took out
>> the Comcast modem (and a few other things).  At the Comcast store they
>> handed me the 'new' xfi modem.  I took it home and installed it --
>> expecting to spent gobs of time on the phone getting it set up.
>>
>> Nope.
>>
>> It came up - using the xfi app - with my previous login userid and
>> password and settings in place.
>>
>> That's when I had the light bulb moment.
>>
>> Jonesy
>>

> And just today my Xfinity HDDVR cable box "died".  Although the time and power light continue to function, there was no HDMI output.  Drove
> me nuts until I isolated the problem because I was installing a new 50" TV
> and had no problem getting signal from my DVD player, Roku, and Home Theater into the TV at the 3 other HDMI ports on the TV.  I could move
> any of them to the 4th HDMI port and they worked equally well, but the Xfinity box produced a "no signal" error on the TV screen regardless
> of which HDMI port I tried.  Swapped out a new HDMI cable, no change.  Hard reset of the TV and the Xfinity box, no change.  Comcast tech
> support told me that although they had never heard of a case it sure sounded to them as though the cable box was not putting out a signal
> through it's HDMI port.  A few hours ago I swapped the box for a new one and immediately everything behaved as expected.  I was pleasantly
> surprised that after a lengthy initial startup, the new box had all my settings from the old box, included scheduled and saved recordings.
> Sometimes the "cloud" works as it should.

I came from Verizon and they had a HD inside the box for recording the TV shows, and if you changed the Set Top Box, you lost all your
recordings.
When I changed to Comcast I was told there was no HD and it was all on the cloud. Which is great since I would have to pay Verizon extra to
be able to watch recorded shows on any TV, but with Comcast I can set them up to record on either TV, and watch them anywhere. So I find
that feature great.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs