"When the going gets tough, the tough get empirical." -- Jon Carroll

computers / alt.windows7.general / Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

SubjectAuthor
* Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinejetjock
`* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinePaul
 `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinejetjock
  `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinePaul
   `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinejetjock
    `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinePaul
     `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinejetjock
      `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinejetjock
       `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinejetjock
        `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinePaul
         `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOfflinejetjock
          `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline-Follow upjetjock
           `* Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline-Follow upPaul
            `- Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline-Follow upjetjock

1
Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<08e0ig1b12r2mesf6320tpn34pi6isof0q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2243&group=alt.windows7.general#2243

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 18:41:10 -0500
 by: jetjock - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 23:41 UTC

Download proceeded smoothly. Took about 5 hours total. It appears
that everything downloaded of except for some very old files:

KB2506014-x64 which appears to be for AMD chip
with administrative permissions to load an unsigned driver. This
update resolves that issue. You can help protect your system by
installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update,
you may have to restart your system.
Architecture: AMD64.

KB 2533623-x64 and KB976932 which MS can't find which makes me think
that I missed a number when I copied them from BIL's update log file.
In any event, I can always download & install manually if the are
Intel chipset.

Now, if I understood you right, all I do is run the Updateinstaller
now and watch it load and reboot? Let me tell you this first which I
keep forgetting: He only has 4MB of RAM and gets frequent "low on
memory" warnings! You mentioned that the updates are a memory hog.
Will this be a problem? If so, should we wait until he installs more
memory before doing the Updateinstaller?

I hope you haven't given up yet and are still with me. We are getting
close to the finish line. :-)

Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<sfpprt$j3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2250&group=alt.windows7.general#2250

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 22:53:48 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 02:53 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> Download proceeded smoothly. Took about 5 hours total. It appears
> that everything downloaded of except for some very old files:
>
> KB2506014-x64 which appears to be for AMD chip
> with administrative permissions to load an unsigned driver. This
> update resolves that issue. You can help protect your system by
> installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update,
> you may have to restart your system.
> Architecture: AMD64.
>
> KB 2533623-x64 and KB976932 which MS can't find which makes me think
> that I missed a number when I copied them from BIL's update log file.
> In any event, I can always download & install manually if the are
> Intel chipset.
>
> Now, if I understood you right, all I do is run the Updateinstaller
> now and watch it load and reboot? Let me tell you this first which I
> keep forgetting: He only has 4MB of RAM and gets frequent "low on
> memory" warnings! You mentioned that the updates are a memory hog.
> Will this be a problem? If so, should we wait until he installs more
> memory before doing the Updateinstaller?
>
> I hope you haven't given up yet and are still with me. We are getting
> close to the finish line. :-)

The KB2533623 is for Vista (apparently). The KB976932 is the well-known SP1
Service Pack for Windows 7, its only Service Pack. Many installer DVDs are
already at SP1 level, and a check of the System control panel should
verify it is already patched to SP1. If it says "Windows 7 SP1" then it
should not need KB976932.

https://i.postimg.cc/Hk08BqLL/catalog-update-microsoft-com.gif

Windows Update being as headstrong as it is, it will on occasion
fetch a "V.2" version of a patch, and this is not the 900MB or 500MB
original. It's a tiny stub, almost like a servicing stack update,
which "closes" the update. I've not seen any official or semi-official
explanations of the twists and turns for stuff like that.

When the WSUSOFfline client EXE runs and starts installing stuff, it should be
using Windows Update to "direct" the installation. WU should be
able to figure out that SP1 is not needed.

*******

KB2506014 is related to TDSS/Alureon malware (rootkit?). AFAIK, that
should be removed on a clean install, but would likely survive a
repair install. Being a rootkit, it hides itself.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2506014

If you want a copy of the patch, you can just get it from catalog server.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2506014

One of the issues with TDSS, is Microsoft issued a Windows Update
one day (on purpose), which placed a new copy of ATAPI.SYS or similar
(not sure of name, but it's an executable related to IDE or
SATA interface). TDSS when it installed, it placed a "wart" onto
that same file. By Microsoft patching that file on purpose,
the intent seemed to be, to tip over all the machines hosting
TDSS. So if "mom and pop" did not know their computer was
infected, having the machine tip over after windows Update,
would be a sign :-/

There was a subsequent patch, having something to do with dealing
with the problem a second time.

The TDSS black hats, issued their own update (served by their CC machine),
a day or two after the original MSFT patch came out. And once the
TDSS people had patched their "bot army", none of the machines at
that point receiving the original patch, would tip over any more.

I've not heard mention of TDSS/Alureon for quite some time,
and the odd article has mentioned that "rootkits are out of style".
Don't ask me why that would be, because some rootkit people
in a certain forum, seemed to think they were God when running
stuff like that. There was no lack of LOLZ. I presume a more
lucrative hobby came along to replace it. If someone only
pays you $200 to "borrow" your botnet, that's not even
enough money for coke and hookers.

Kaspersky made a TDSS removal tool, for whatever that's worth,
and that was a free download.

*******
WSUSOffline updating client machine...

UpdateInstaller
(first stage activity) [update WU EXE to current...]
reboot

UpdateInstaller
(second stage activity) [SHA2 signing patch allows
reboot entry of modern patches...]

UpdateInstaller
(150 Security Only updates installed) [uses lots of RAM, may be slow]
reboot

Done

Something like that. The first steps are preparatory. It's
the last run that takes a while. There is poor garbage
collection during the patch run, and you can watch the memory
usage climb as the thing progresses.

Normally I'm sitting in front of the thing
receiving updates. I don't bother with the option
to chain all the stages together and have WSUS do
all the reboots for me, without me being present.
There may be an option to do that, but I haven't
tested it. I just manually reboot, when the black
Command Prompt window prompts me to do that.

Paul

Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<4bl2igpqu0gmangqa225jg54e7c9upl7oo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2266&group=alt.windows7.general#2266

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 15:13:39 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 20:13 UTC

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 22:53:48 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>jetjock wrote:
>> Download proceeded smoothly. Took about 5 hours total. It appears
>> that everything downloaded of except for some very old files:
>>
>> KB2506014-x64 which appears to be for AMD chip
>> with administrative permissions to load an unsigned driver. This
>> update resolves that issue. You can help protect your system by
>> installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update,
>> you may have to restart your system.
>> Architecture: AMD64.
>>
>> KB 2533623-x64 and KB976932 which MS can't find which makes me think
>> that I missed a number when I copied them from BIL's update log file.
>> In any event, I can always download & install manually if the are
>> Intel chipset.
>>
>> Now, if I understood you right, all I do is run the Updateinstaller
>> now and watch it load and reboot? Let me tell you this first which I
>> keep forgetting: He only has 4MB of RAM and gets frequent "low on
>> memory" warnings! You mentioned that the updates are a memory hog.
>> Will this be a problem? If so, should we wait until he installs more
>> memory before doing the Updateinstaller?
>>
>> I hope you haven't given up yet and are still with me. We are getting
>> close to the finish line. :-)

>The KB2533623 is for Vista (apparently). The KB976932 is the well-known SP1
>Service Pack for Windows 7, its only Service Pack. Many installer DVDs are
>already at SP1 level, and a check of the System control panel should
>verify it is already patched to SP1. If it says "Windows 7 SP1" then it
>should not need KB976932.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/Hk08BqLL/catalog-update-microsoft-com.gif

The Win 7 Ultimate DVD we used had SP1 slipstreamed.

>Windows Update being as headstrong as it is, it will on occasion
>fetch a "V.2" version of a patch, and this is not the 900MB or 500MB
>original. It's a tiny stub, almost like a servicing stack update,
>which "closes" the update. I've not seen any official or semi-official
>explanations of the twists and turns for stuff like that.
>
>When the WSUSOFfline client EXE runs and starts installing stuff, it should be
>using Windows Update to "direct" the installation. WU should be
>able to figure out that SP1 is not needed.
>
>*******'

This could be a problem! Remember that his Windows Update does not
work. Whenever I have tried running it, it throws an 80072EFE error.
I finally some info about it and downloaded a patch
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-microsoft-update-client-80891e31-29ed-510d-819b-a4c4ee4aa1b7
Also, I'll try turning off Windows Firewall as a couple places said it
could be blocking connection.

>KB2506014 is related to TDSS/Alureon malware (rootkit?). AFAIK, that
>should be removed on a clean install, but would likely survive a
>repair install. Being a rootkit, it hides itself.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2506014
>
>If you want a copy of the patch, you can just get it from catalog server.
>
>https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2506014

That KB article says that 2506014 is for AMDx64 devices. His Intel
machine shouldn't need it...right?

>One of the issues with TDSS, is Microsoft issued a Windows Update
>one day (on purpose), which placed a new copy of ATAPI.SYS or similar
>(not sure of name, but it's an executable related to IDE or
>SATA interface). TDSS when it installed, it placed a "wart" onto
>that same file. By Microsoft patching that file on purpose,
>the intent seemed to be, to tip over all the machines hosting
>TDSS. So if "mom and pop" did not know their computer was
>infected, having the machine tip over after windows Update,
>would be a sign :-/
>
>There was a subsequent patch, having something to do with dealing
>with the problem a second time.
>
>The TDSS black hats, issued their own update (served by their CC machine),
>a day or two after the original MSFT patch came out. And once the
>TDSS people had patched their "bot army", none of the machines at
>that point receiving the original patch, would tip over any more.
>
>I've not heard mention of TDSS/Alureon for quite some time,
>and the odd article has mentioned that "rootkits are out of style".
>Don't ask me why that would be, because some rootkit people
>in a certain forum, seemed to think they were God when running
>stuff like that. There was no lack of LOLZ. I presume a more
>lucrative hobby came along to replace it. If someone only
>pays you $200 to "borrow" your botnet, that's not even
>enough money for coke and hookers.
>
>Kaspersky made a TDSS removal tool, for whatever that's worth,
>and that was a free download.

I have that TDSS Killer as part of my Virus remover kit.

>*******
>WSUSOffline updating client machine...
>
> UpdateInstaller
> (first stage activity) [update WU EXE to current...]
> reboot
>
> UpdateInstaller
> (second stage activity) [SHA2 signing patch allows
> reboot entry of modern patches...]

> UpdateInstaller
> (150 Security Only updates installed) [uses lots of RAM, may be slow]
> reboot
>
> Done
>
>Something like that. The first steps are preparatory. It's
>the last run that takes a while. There is poor garbage
>collection during the patch run, and you can watch the memory
>usage climb as the thing progresses.
>
>Normally I'm sitting in front of the thing
>receiving updates. I don't bother with the option
>to chain all the stages together and have WSUS do
>all the reboots for me, without me being present.
>There may be an option to do that, but I haven't
>tested it. I just manually reboot, when the black
>Command Prompt window prompts me to do that.

Do you have any idea about how long it will take to install all the
updates?

Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<sfrqhr$8mv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2267&group=alt.windows7.general#2267

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 17:17:47 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 21:17 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 22:53:48 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:

>> https://i.postimg.cc/Hk08BqLL/catalog-update-microsoft-com.gif
>
> The Win 7 Ultimate DVD we used had SP1 slipstreamed.

>> Windows Update being as headstrong as it is, it will on occasion
>> fetch a "V.2" version of a patch, and this is not the 900MB or 500MB
>> original. It's a tiny stub, almost like a servicing stack update,
>> which "closes" the update. I've not seen any official or semi-official
>> explanations of the twists and turns for stuff like that.
>>
>> When the WSUSOFfline client EXE runs and starts installing stuff, it should be
>> using Windows Update to "direct" the installation. WU should be
>> able to figure out that SP1 is not needed.
>>
>> *******'
>
> This could be a problem! Remember that his Windows Update does not
> work. Whenever I have tried running it, it throws an 80072EFE error.
> I finally some info about it and downloaded a patch
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-microsoft-update-client-80891e31-29ed-510d-819b-a4c4ee4aa1b7
> Also, I'll try turning off Windows Firewall as a couple places said it
> could be blocking connection.

>> UpdateInstaller

> Do you have any idea about how long it will take to install all the
> updates?

If it is not doing SP1, probably around 2 hours.

*******

Maybe we need to go back and review what you've done so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alureon

Did you do a Repair Install (run Setup.exe off the DVD while
Windows 7 was running) ?

Or, did you nuke and pave. (Boot DVD and install a fresh copy
of Windows 7, deleting the contents of the old C: ).

Your symptom-set sounds for all the world, like a
Repair Install over a live infection. A clean install (nuke
and pave) should not be showing this symptom-set.

This is why I can't reproduce your level of brokenness in
Firefox here, in a VM. It could be that something is
actively hijacking DNS.

Paul

Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<me25ight7oliu4reftb6vtg0hka8h4qgip@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2268&group=alt.windows7.general#2268

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 13:09:43 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 18:09 UTC

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 17:17:47 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>jetjock wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 22:53:48 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>> wrote:
>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/Hk08BqLL/catalog-update-microsoft-com.gif
>>
>> The Win 7 Ultimate DVD we used had SP1 slipstreamed.
>
>>> Windows Update being as headstrong as it is, it will on occasion
>>> fetch a "V.2" version of a patch, and this is not the 900MB or 500MB
>>> original. It's a tiny stub, almost like a servicing stack update,
>>> which "closes" the update. I've not seen any official or semi-official
>>> explanations of the twists and turns for stuff like that.
>>>
>>> When the WSUSOFfline client EXE runs and starts installing stuff, it should be
>>> using Windows Update to "direct" the installation. WU should be
>>> able to figure out that SP1 is not needed.
>>>
>>> *******'
>>
>> This could be a problem! Remember that his Windows Update does not
>> work. Whenever I have tried running it, it throws an 80072EFE error.
>> I finally some info about it and downloaded a patch
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-microsoft-update-client-80891e31-29ed-510d-819b-a4c4ee4aa1b7
>> Also, I'll try turning off Windows Firewall as a couple places said it
>> could be blocking connection.
>
>>> UpdateInstaller
>

>> Do you have any idea about how long it will take to install all the
>> updates?

>If it is not doing SP1, probably around 2 hours.
>
>*******
>
>Maybe we need to go back and review what you've done so far.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alureon
>
>Did you do a Repair Install (run Setup.exe off the DVD while
>Windows 7 was running) ?

No.

>Or, did you nuke and pave. (Boot DVD and install a fresh copy
>of Windows 7, deleting the contents of the old C: ).

Deleted both partitions from his first install after determining that
There were (apparently) serious problems with it (the install). Did a
clean install from there.

>Your symptom-set sounds for all the world, like a
>Repair Install over a live infection. A clean install (nuke
>and pave) should not be showing this symptom-set.
>
>This is why I can't reproduce your level of brokenness in
>Firefox here, in a VM. It could be that something is
>actively hijacking DNS.

I'll know more on Monday after I get a chance to work on it some more.
When I was on his machine doing the WSUSOffline downloads, I looked at
Chrome some more. I checked his history for two sites that gave him
errors the other day, and opened them both fine with no error (cert)
problems. He wasn't there so I couldn't ask him about it. Will know
more by Monday aft.

More questions. Do I just delete the line
"windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe" from "wsusoffline_win7\client\w61
x-64\glb" to keep from installing SP1 again? Or do I have to delete
it from "wsusoffline_win7\client\w61\glb" which has
"windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe" also. Anything else you can think of
that should be deleted?

And what's the deal with "Windows6.1"? Why not Windows 7?

Why did WSUSOffline download for both x-86 and x-64? Oopps, never
mind. I see from your earlier post that you requested both versions.
I only requested x-64 so BIL should only have those on his machine,
right?

Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<sfueql$lts$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2269&group=alt.windows7.general#2269

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 17:16:05 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 21:16 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 17:17:47 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> jetjock wrote:

> Deleted both partitions from his first install after determining that
> There were (apparently) serious problems with it (the install). Did a
> clean install from there.
>> Your symptom-set sounds for all the world, like a
>> Repair Install over a live infection. A clean install (nuke
>> and pave) should not be showing this symptom-set.
>>
>> This is why I can't reproduce your level of brokenness in
>> Firefox here, in a VM. It could be that something is
>> actively hijacking DNS.
>
> I'll know more on Monday after I get a chance to work on it some more.
> When I was on his machine doing the WSUSOffline downloads, I looked at
> Chrome some more. I checked his history for two sites that gave him
> errors the other day, and opened them both fine with no error (cert)
> problems. He wasn't there so I couldn't ask him about it. Will know
> more by Monday aft.
>
> More questions. Do I just delete the line
> "windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe" from "wsusoffline_win7\client\w61
> x-64\glb" to keep from installing SP1 again? Or do I have to delete
> it from "wsusoffline_win7\client\w61\glb" which has
> "windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe" also. Anything else you can think of
> that should be deleted?
>
> And what's the deal with "Windows6.1"? Why not Windows 7?
>
> Why did WSUSOffline download for both x-86 and x-64? Oopps, never
> mind. I see from your earlier post that you requested both versions.
> I only requested x-64 so BIL should only have those on his machine,
> right?

The 6.x numbering scheme means "a derivative of Vista".
It's a generation of OS. Win2K and WinXP were 5.x.

*******

You should not need to remove anything.

WSUSOffline is a "WSUS Server in a can" in a sense.

The OS might ask "what relevant patches do you have?".

The installer then provides the patch that the
OS dependency calculation asks for.

If KB 1234 is dependent on a certain SSU (Servicing Stack Update),
the OS will say "do you got that SSU I need?". The WSUSOffline
install order, then coughs up the SSU first, then the
KB 1234 next.

The final stage of WSUSOffline is "dynamic" and the install
list is determined by the OS dependency calculation. Just
as if the OS was talking to the Microsoft WU server. Your
OS doesn't keep asking for SP1 over and over again, and it
should not when talking to WSUSOffline either. Only
improperly closed patch installations loop like that
(an error).

What is installed, and in what order, is determined
by the OS. If the OS looks at the cache and says
"I only need July Cumulative and August Cumulative",
then only two KBs get installed.

WSUSOffline should never install an update and
get a "not for this OS" error. All of the information
used, origins from the same Microsoft master file
(WSUSSCN2.cab, now 1GB in size). The dependency calculation
and the state of the packages in the WinSXS maintenance
folder, is all that's needed for orderly custom install
in the correct order.

Paul

Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<dea7ig9579o2gtfu3lqmalrbbdahh0gf1o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2271&group=alt.windows7.general#2271

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:00:24 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:00 UTC

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 17:16:05 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>list is determined by the OS dependency calculation. Just
>as if the OS was talking to the Microsoft WU server. Your
>OS doesn't keep asking for SP1 over and over again, and it
>should not when talking to WSUSOffline either. Only
>improperly closed patch installations loop like that
>(an error).
>
>What is installed, and in what order, is determined
>by the OS. If the OS looks at the cache and says
>"I only need July Cumulative and August Cumulative",
>then only two KBs get installed.
>
>WSUSOffline should never install an update and
>get a "not for this OS" error. All of the information
>used, origins from the same Microsoft master file
>(WSUSSCN2.cab, now 1GB in size). The dependency calculation
>and the state of the packages in the WinSXS maintenance
>folder, is all that's needed for orderly custom install

Great info. I'm calling BIL right now. Will let you know how it
goes.

Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<jg48ig1fafmedg7mgr2gkqq6465tnku72m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2272&group=alt.windows7.general#2272

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:38:53 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 21:38 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:00:24 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>as if the OS was talking to the Microsoft WU server. Your
>>OS doesn't keep asking for SP1 over and over again, and it
>>should not when talking to WSUSOffline either. Only
>>improperly closed patch installations loop like that
>>(an error).
>>
>>What is installed, and in what order, is determined
>>by the OS. If the OS looks at the cache and says
>>"I only need July Cumulative and August Cumulative",
>>then only two KBs get installed.
>>
>>WSUSOffline should never install an update and
>>get a "not for this OS" error. All of the information
>>used, origins from the same Microsoft master file
>>(WSUSSCN2.cab, now 1GB in size). The dependency calculation
>>and the state of the packages in the WinSXS maintenance
>>folder, is all that's needed for orderly custom install
>>in the correct order.
>
>Great info. I'm calling BIL right now. Will let you know how it

WSUSOffline appeared to finish installing updates after about 6 hours.
Probably wouldn't have taken so long if there weren't so many low on
memory warnings. Sometimes I didn't see them soon enough and the
updater would not install the update. So when it finished, it would
have to check again for missing updates,which took about 16 minutes
each time, and then install them again.

I say it appeared to finish as I couldn't find log file for the
installs,and I thought I saw that there were still some uninstalled
updates when it just suddenly quit. I checked the update history in
Windows and it had installed a whole bunch of updates, so maybe he got
all the important ones anyway. One I know that was missing each time
it checked was KB2687455 (SP 2 for Office) so if you think he needs
it, I can always install it from MS's Site.

I really want to thank you again for all the time and effort you have
put into helping. Wish there was some way to repay you! I hope this
puts an end to this thread. Please, continue your good work for
everyone. I hope they appreciate it as much as I do!

Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<8rb8ig1d6u1lbemifpeufsja6lpev1h173@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2273&group=alt.windows7.general#2273

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 18:42:01 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 23:42 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:38:53 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:00:24 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 17:16:05 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>The 6.x numbering scheme means "a derivative of Vista".
>>>It's a generation of OS. Win2K and WinXP were 5.x.
>>>
>>>*******
>>>
>>>You should not need to remove anything.
>>>
>>>WSUSOffline is a "WSUS Server in a can" in a sense.
>>>
>>>The OS might ask "what relevant patches do you have?".
>>>
>>>The installer then provides the patch that the
>>>OS dependency calculation asks for.
>>>
>>>If KB 1234 is dependent on a certain SSU (Servicing Stack Update),
>>>the OS will say "do you got that SSU I need?". The WSUSOffline
>>>install order, then coughs up the SSU first, then the
>>>KB 1234 next.
>>>
>>>The final stage of WSUSOffline is "dynamic" and the install
>>>list is determined by the OS dependency calculation. Just
>>>as if the OS was talking to the Microsoft WU server. Your
>>>OS doesn't keep asking for SP1 over and over again, and it
>>>should not when talking to WSUSOffline either. Only
>>>improperly closed patch installations loop like that
>>>(an error).
>>>
>>>What is installed, and in what order, is determined
>>>by the OS. If the OS looks at the cache and says
>>>"I only need July Cumulative and August Cumulative",
>>>then only two KBs get installed.
>>>
>>>WSUSOffline should never install an update and
>>>get a "not for this OS" error. All of the information
>>>used, origins from the same Microsoft master file
>>>(WSUSSCN2.cab, now 1GB in size). The dependency calculation
>>>and the state of the packages in the WinSXS maintenance
>>>folder, is all that's needed for orderly custom install
>>>in the correct order.
>>
>>Great info. I'm calling BIL right now. Will let you know how it
>>goes.
>
>WSUSOffline appeared to finish installing updates after about 6 hours.
>Probably wouldn't have taken so long if there weren't so many low on
>memory warnings. Sometimes I didn't see them soon enough and the
>updater would not install the update. So when it finished, it would
>have to check again for missing updates,which took about 16 minutes
>each time, and then install them again.
>
>I say it appeared to finish as I couldn't find log file for the
>installs,and I thought I saw that there were still some uninstalled
>updates when it just suddenly quit. I checked the update history in
>Windows and it had installed a whole bunch of updates, so maybe he got
>all the important ones anyway. One I know that was missing each time
>it checked was KB2687455 (SP 2 for Office) so if you think he needs
>it, I can always install it from MS's Site.
>
>I really want to thank you again for all the time and effort you have
>put into helping. Wish there was some way to repay you! I hope this
>puts an end to this thread. Please, continue your good work for
>everyone. I hope they appreciate it as much as I do!

I figured there was something wrong when WSUSOffline shut down as it
did. We are now in kind of an infinite loop. Whenever he reboots, a
log in screen comes up with his account name and a WOUTempadmin
account. If I then start with his account, the WSUSOffline installer
command prompt window opens and it takes another 15+ minutes to check
for missing installs. After it checks, it just minimizes to the
command window that I can "Exit" out of.

I have looked for how to get rid of that WOUTemp, account but
everything says to:

Run "regedit"

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Change DefaultUserName to your default user
delete AutoAdminLogin
Press F3 and search for any entry containing "woutemplogin" and
delete it as long as the searchphrase can't be found any more.

Only problem is there is no "DefaultUserName" there for him so I can't
change it, I ran a Temp folder cleaner to clean out his default Temp
folder, but that didn't help.

Any ideas how to shut WSUSOffline down for good, and get rid of the
WOUTempadmin log in screen?

Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<sg1qk3$2fn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2274&group=alt.windows7.general#2274

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 23:55:47 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 03:55 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:38:53 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:00:24 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Great info. I'm calling BIL right now. Will let you know how it
>>> goes.
>> WSUSOffline appeared to finish installing updates after about 6 hours.
>> Probably wouldn't have taken so long if there weren't so many low on
>> memory warnings. Sometimes I didn't see them soon enough and the
>> updater would not install the update. So when it finished, it would
>> have to check again for missing updates,which took about 16 minutes
>> each time, and then install them again.
>>
>> I say it appeared to finish as I couldn't find log file for the
>> installs,and I thought I saw that there were still some uninstalled
>> updates when it just suddenly quit. I checked the update history in
>> Windows and it had installed a whole bunch of updates, so maybe he got
>> all the important ones anyway. One I know that was missing each time
>> it checked was KB2687455 (SP 2 for Office) so if you think he needs
>> it, I can always install it from MS's Site.
>>
>> I really want to thank you again for all the time and effort you have
>> put into helping. Wish there was some way to repay you! I hope this
>> puts an end to this thread. Please, continue your good work for
>> everyone. I hope they appreciate it as much as I do!
>
> I figured there was something wrong when WSUSOffline shut down as it
> did. We are now in kind of an infinite loop. Whenever he reboots, a
> log in screen comes up with his account name and a WOUTempadmin
> account. If I then start with his account, the WSUSOffline installer
> command prompt window opens and it takes another 15+ minutes to check
> for missing installs. After it checks, it just minimizes to the
> command window that I can "Exit" out of.
>
> I have looked for how to get rid of that WOUTemp, account but
> everything says to:
>
> Run "regedit"
>
> Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> Change DefaultUserName to your default user
> delete AutoAdminLogin
> Press F3 and search for any entry containing "woutemplogin" and
> delete it as long as the searchphrase can't be found any more.
>
> Only problem is there is no "DefaultUserName" there for him so I can't
> change it, I ran a Temp folder cleaner to clean out his default Temp
> folder, but that didn't help.
>
> Any ideas how to shut WSUSOffline down for good, and get rid of the
> WOUTempadmin log in screen?

That's probably a reference to a thread like this.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/woutempadmin/ae3998fd-02da-4a86-b7f0-8228b44dab15

"Queen Elsa

I know the reason that a software called WSUS Offline Updater must
have been runned in your conmpter with the function of updating
Windows or/and Office suit offline and must have been stopped by
accident when running.

So how does it come?

When a control function reads Automatic reboot and recall inside
UpdateInstaller.exe, windows will start updating itself. After the
installation of the first part of updates is done, your system will
reboot and config them. When that is over, your windows is driven
into WOUtempadmin account by WSUS Offline Updater. In this account,
the software has closed some functions such as display monitor power off,
screensaver to make sure updating process without being interrupted.

When the process including a few times of rebooting is all over ,
windows will run into your former account. But if someone stop the
process, system will stay in WOUtempadmin account.
"

"AdiKanugo

I didn't need to delete AutoAdminLogin.

Just change the set value from 1 to 0
"

*******

I don't run that thing in unattended mode, and I've been manually
rebooting and manually starting the process again, through each
stage. Perhaps that's why I haven't run into this.

In your Wsusoffline folder, look for

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline

<4e1aig1intc3a9n1bt8l39m03lo3atdeuk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2276&group=alt.windows7.general#2276

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 10:05:22 -0500
 by: jetjock - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 15:05 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 23:55:47 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>jetjock wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:38:53 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
>> wrote:

>>> WSUSOffline appeared to finish installing updates after about 6 hours.
>>> Probably wouldn't have taken so long if there weren't so many low on
>>> memory warnings. Sometimes I didn't see them soon enough and the
>>> updater would not install the update. So when it finished, it would
>>> have to check again for missing updates,which took about 16 minutes
>>> each time, and then install them again.
>>>
>>> I say it appeared to finish as I couldn't find log file for the
>>> installs,and I thought I saw that there were still some uninstalled
>>> updates when it just suddenly quit. I checked the update history in
>>> Windows and it had installed a whole bunch of updates, so maybe he got
>>> all the important ones anyway. One I know that was missing each time
>>> it checked was KB2687455 (SP 2 for Office) so if you think he needs
>>> it, I can always install it from MS's Site.
>>>
>>> I really want to thank you again for all the time and effort you have
>>> put into helping. Wish there was some way to repay you! I hope this
>>> puts an end to this thread. Please, continue your good work for
>>> everyone. I hope they appreciate it as much as I do!
>>
>> I figured there was something wrong when WSUSOffline shut down as it
>> did. We are now in kind of an infinite loop. Whenever he reboots, a
>> log in screen comes up with his account name and a WOUTempadmin
>> account. If I then start with his account, the WSUSOffline installer
>> command prompt window opens and it takes another 15+ minutes to check
>> for missing installs. After it checks, it just minimizes to the
>> command window that I can "Exit" out of.
>>
>> I have looked for how to get rid of that WOUTemp, account but
>> everything says to:
>>
>> Run "regedit"
>>
>> Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
>> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>> Change DefaultUserName to your default user
>> delete AutoAdminLogin
>> Press F3 and search for any entry containing "woutemplogin" and
>> delete it as long as the searchphrase can't be found any more.
>>
>> Only problem is there is no "DefaultUserName" there for him so I can't
>> change it, I ran a Temp folder cleaner to clean out his default Temp
>> folder, but that didn't help.
>>
>> Any ideas how to shut WSUSOffline down for good, and get rid of the
>> WOUTempadmin log in screen?

>That's probably a reference to a thread like this.
>
>https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/woutempadmin/ae3998fd-02da-4a86-b7f0-8228b44dab15

That is the thread I referenced last night (above). There is no
"DefaultUserName" there to change, so if I change "AutoAdminLogin" to
0. will his machine still boot to his account as Admin.?

> "Queen Elsa
>
> I know the reason that a software called WSUS Offline Updater must
> have been runned in your conmpter with the function of updating
> Windows or/and Office suit offline and must have been stopped by
> accident when running.
>
> So how does it come?
>
> When a control function reads Automatic reboot and recall inside
> UpdateInstaller.exe, windows will start updating itself. After the
> installation of the first part of updates is done, your system will
> reboot and config them. When that is over, your windows is driven
> into WOUtempadmin account by WSUS Offline Updater. In this account,
> the software has closed some functions such as display monitor power off,
> screensaver to make sure updating process without being interrupted.
>
> When the process including a few times of rebooting is all over ,
> windows will run into your former account. But if someone stop the
> process, system will stay in WOUtempadmin account.
> "
>
> "AdiKanugo
>
> I didn't need to delete AutoAdminLogin.
>
> Just change the set value from 1 to 0
> "
>
>*******
>
>I don't run that thing in unattended mode, and I've been manually
>rebooting and manually starting the process again, through each
>stage. Perhaps that's why I haven't run into this.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline-Follow up

<co5aig9t86ed8v4k2ee3mmaaeiceve0rck@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2277&group=alt.windows7.general#2277

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline-Follow up
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 13:51:13 -0500
References: <08e0ig1b12r2mesf6320tpn34pi6isof0q@4ax.com> <sfpprt$j3$1@dont-email.me> <4bl2igpqu0gmangqa225jg54e7c9upl7oo@4ax.com> <sfrqhr$8mv$1@dont-email.me> <me25ight7oliu4reftb6vtg0hka8h4qgip@4ax.com> <sfueql$lts$1@dont-email.me> <dea7ig9579o2gtfu3lqmalrbbdahh0gf1o@4ax.com> <jg48ig1fafmedg7mgr2gkqq6465tnku72m@4ax.com> <8rb8ig1d6u1lbemifpeufsja6lpev1h173@4ax.com> <sg1qk3$2fn$1@dont-email.me> <4e1aig1intc3a9n1bt8l39m03lo3atdeuk@4ax.com>
 by: jetjock - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 18:51 UTC

<sg3ndt$caf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2278&group=alt.windows7.general#2278

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 17:13:36 -0400
References: <08e0ig1b12r2mesf6320tpn34pi6isof0q@4ax.com> <sfpprt$j3$1@dont-email.me> <4bl2igpqu0gmangqa225jg54e7c9upl7oo@4ax.com> <sfrqhr$8mv$1@dont-email.me> <me25ight7oliu4reftb6vtg0hka8h4qgip@4ax.com> <sfueql$lts$1@dont-email.me> <dea7ig9579o2gtfu3lqmalrbbdahh0gf1o@4ax.com> <jg48ig1fafmedg7mgr2gkqq6465tnku72m@4ax.com> <8rb8ig1d6u1lbemifpeufsja6lpev1h173@4ax.com> <sg1qk3$2fn$1@dont-email.me> <4e1aig1intc3a9n1bt8l39m03lo3atdeuk@4ax.com> <co5aig9t86ed8v4k2ee3mmaaeiceve0rck@4ax.com>
 by: Paul - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 21:13 UTC

<4ricigpbfvs7jc2t3vbhm4j80vhvahknsb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2280&group=alt.windows7.general#2280

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 08:59:52 -0500
References: <sfpprt$j3$1@dont-email.me> <4bl2igpqu0gmangqa225jg54e7c9upl7oo@4ax.com> <sfrqhr$8mv$1@dont-email.me> <me25ight7oliu4reftb6vtg0hka8h4qgip@4ax.com> <sfueql$lts$1@dont-email.me> <dea7ig9579o2gtfu3lqmalrbbdahh0gf1o@4ax.com> <jg48ig1fafmedg7mgr2gkqq6465tnku72m@4ax.com> <8rb8ig1d6u1lbemifpeufsja6lpev1h173@4ax.com> <sg1qk3$2fn$1@dont-email.me> <4e1aig1intc3a9n1bt8l39m03lo3atdeuk@4ax.com> <co5aig9t86ed8v4k2ee3mmaaeiceve0rck@4ax.com> <sg3ndt$caf$2@dont-email.me>
 by: jetjock - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:59 UTC