From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Ping Paul-Update for WSUSOffline
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 23:55:47 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 03:55 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:38:53 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:00:24 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Great info. I'm calling BIL right now. Will let you know how it
>>> goes.
>> WSUSOffline appeared to finish installing updates after about 6 hours.
>> Probably wouldn't have taken so long if there weren't so many low on
>> memory warnings. Sometimes I didn't see them soon enough and the
>> updater would not install the update. So when it finished, it would
>> have to check again for missing updates,which took about 16 minutes
>> each time, and then install them again.
>>
>> I say it appeared to finish as I couldn't find log file for the
>> installs,and I thought I saw that there were still some uninstalled
>> updates when it just suddenly quit. I checked the update history in
>> Windows and it had installed a whole bunch of updates, so maybe he got
>> all the important ones anyway. One I know that was missing each time
>> it checked was KB2687455 (SP 2 for Office) so if you think he needs
>> it, I can always install it from MS's Site.
>>
>> I really want to thank you again for all the time and effort you have
>> put into helping. Wish there was some way to repay you! I hope this
>> puts an end to this thread. Please, continue your good work for
>> everyone. I hope they appreciate it as much as I do!
>
> I figured there was something wrong when WSUSOffline shut down as it
> did. We are now in kind of an infinite loop. Whenever he reboots, a
> log in screen comes up with his account name and a WOUTempadmin
> account. If I then start with his account, the WSUSOffline installer
> command prompt window opens and it takes another 15+ minutes to check
> for missing installs. After it checks, it just minimizes to the
> command window that I can "Exit" out of.
>
> I have looked for how to get rid of that WOUTemp, account but
> everything says to:
>
> Run "regedit"
>
> Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> Change DefaultUserName to your default user
> delete AutoAdminLogin
> Press F3 and search for any entry containing "woutemplogin" and
> delete it as long as the searchphrase can't be found any more.
>
> Only problem is there is no "DefaultUserName" there for him so I can't
> change it, I ran a Temp folder cleaner to clean out his default Temp
> folder, but that didn't help.
>
> Any ideas how to shut WSUSOffline down for good, and get rid of the
> WOUTempadmin log in screen?

That's probably a reference to a thread like this.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/woutempadmin/ae3998fd-02da-4a86-b7f0-8228b44dab15

"Queen Elsa

I know the reason that a software called WSUS Offline Updater must
have been runned in your conmpter with the function of updating
Windows or/and Office suit offline and must have been stopped by
accident when running.

So how does it come?

When a control function reads Automatic reboot and recall inside
UpdateInstaller.exe, windows will start updating itself. After the
installation of the first part of updates is done, your system will
reboot and config them. When that is over, your windows is driven
into WOUtempadmin account by WSUS Offline Updater. In this account,
the software has closed some functions such as display monitor power off,
screensaver to make sure updating process without being interrupted.

When the process including a few times of rebooting is all over ,
windows will run into your former account. But if someone stop the
process, system will stay in WOUtempadmin account.
"

"AdiKanugo

I didn't need to delete AutoAdminLogin.

Just change the set value from 1 to 0
"

*******

I don't run that thing in unattended mode, and I've been manually
rebooting and manually starting the process again, through each
stage. Perhaps that's why I haven't run into this.

In your Wsusoffline folder, look for

DoUpdate.cmd 78KB
CleanupRecall.cmd 5KB

DoUpdate calls CleanupRecall.

Since there is no parameter zero passed, the cd (ChangeDir) command
probably isn't doing anything and the current working directory
is whatever DoUpdate normally uses. Perhaps it is using
cd /d H:\wsusoffline_win7\client\cmd at that point ?

You can see in CleanupRecall.cmd, how the script cleans up the
AutoAdminLogin.

I would expect, if DoUpdate.cmd is called enough
times, one way or another, CleanupRecall is called.

if exist %SystemRoot%\Temp\WOURecall\wourecall.1
ren %SystemRoot%\Temp\WOURecall\wourecall.1 wourecall.2

What it is doing, is using a file handle as a counter.
The filename indicates the counter value. The script
also defines the case where the wourecall filename
has reached its "maximum value", implying the
script is out of control. That would be if there is a
%SystemRoot%\Temp\WOURecall\wourecall.9, it will not
increment past there.

set WOU_ENDLESS=9 [ SetTargetEnvVars.cmd ]

The logic seems to end up calling "CleanupRecall.cmd"
as part of the WOU_ENDLESS being detected. It looks
like you could CD to the

cd /d H:\wsusoffline_win7\client\cmd # adjust to your path
CleanupRecall.cmd

There is also logic for flddling with the Power Schema,
but a visit to the Power control panel, you can probably
see Schema Names, and if an odd Schema Name is there, you
might change it to Balanced or High Performance or one
of the other standard Windows ones. While removing
the schema would be hygienic , it might not be absolutely
essential.

Hope that helps,

Paul

SubjectRepliesAuthor