If Machiavelli were a hacker, he'd have worked for the CSSG. -- Phil Lapsley

computers / comp.mobile.android / Old tablet experience

SubjectAuthor
* Old tablet experienceMajorLanGod
+- Re: Old tablet experienceAndy Burns
+- Re: Old tablet experienceAJL
`* Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E. R.
 +* Re: Old tablet experienceAndy Burns
 |`* Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E. R.
 | `* Re: Old tablet experienceTheo
 |  +- Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E. R.
 |  `- Re: Old tablet experienceAndy Burns
 +* Re: Old tablet experienceMajorLanGod
 |`- Re: Old tablet experienceKenW
 +* Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 |+* Re: Old tablet experienceThe Real Bev
 ||`* Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 || `- Re: Old tablet experienceThe Real Bev
 |+* Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E. R.
 ||+* Re: Old tablet experienceJoerg Lorenz
 |||`* Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 ||| +* Re: Old tablet experiencenospam
 ||| `* Re: Old tablet experienceJoerg Lorenz
 |||  `* Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 |||   +- Re: Old tablet experiencenospam
 |||   `- Re: Old tablet experienceJoerg Lorenz
 ||+- Re: Old tablet experienceChris
 ||`- Re: Old tablet experienceFrank Slootweg
 |+- Re: Old tablet experienceJoerg Lorenz
 |`* Re: Old tablet experienceTJ
 | +- Re: Old tablet experienceThe Real Bev
 | `- Re: Old tablet experienceCarlos E.R.
 `- Re: Old tablet experiencemicky

Pages:12
Old tablet experience

<XnsAE056B5577046lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25517&group=comp.mobile.android#25517

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Old tablet experience
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 16:33:03 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 16:33 UTC

I stlll have and sometimes use my Google Nexus 7 2013. After not using it
for a while I went to start it yesterday. Granted, I know it is not going
to be as zippy as current hardware, but it seemed to be exceedingly slow.
but the more I used it the zippier it seemed to get, until it was
responding as I remembered it.
Is it a function of background processes still starting even though the
desktop is available, or is it like my body in the morning - moving slow
until I've been up for a while?

Re: Old tablet experience

<j295tmFq01bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25518&group=comp.mobile.android#25518

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Old tablet experience
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 16:45:42 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 16:45 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> sometimes use my Google Nexus 7 2013. After not using it
> for a while I went to start it yesterday. Granted, I know it is not going
> to be as zippy as current hardware, but it seemed to be exceedingly slow.

I had the 2012 version, the slow eMMC really let the machine down, mine's in
landfill.

Re: Old tablet experience

<spnns5$7s4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25519&group=comp.mobile.android#25519

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 09:50:12 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 16:50 UTC

On 12/19/2021 9:33 AM, MajorLanGod wrote:

> I stlll have and sometimes use my Google Nexus 7 2013. After not
> using it for a while I went to start it yesterday. Granted, I know
> it is not going to be as zippy as current hardware, but it seemed to
> be exceedingly slow. but the more I used it the zippier it seemed to
> get, until it was responding as I remembered it. Is it a function of
> background processes still starting even though the desktop is
> available,

I had that Nexus 7. Was one of the better ones I had over the years as I
recall. Don't remember anything like that slow start though. My cheaper
tablets (under $200) take some time to get going from being completely
off but not more than 30 seconds or so. If they're sleeping then I
notice no change in their normal use. You might try a reboot to clear
the cobwebs if this is happening from sleep.

> or is it like my body in the morning - moving slow until I've been
> up for a while?

Wish that would go away in 30 seconds...

Re: Old tablet experience

<j29farFrm0eU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25523&group=comp.mobile.android#25523

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:26:19 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 19:26 UTC

On 19/12/2021 17.33, MajorLanGod wrote:
> I stlll have and sometimes use my Google Nexus 7 2013. After not using it
> for a while I went to start it yesterday. Granted, I know it is not going
> to be as zippy as current hardware, but it seemed to be exceedingly slow.
> but the more I used it the zippier it seemed to get, until it was
> responding as I remembered it.
> Is it a function of background processes still starting even though the
> desktop is available, or is it like my body in the morning - moving slow
> until I've been up for a while?

I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up but
not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at the
same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new
videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Old tablet experience

<j29flaFrp33U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25524&group=comp.mobile.android#25524

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 19:31:53 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 19:31 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> apparently every app in background starts at the same time checking for data
> (say, news apps, youtube checks for new videos, gmail for new mails, etc)

Yes, recent android "aligns" all of their wake-up and network accesses to the
same time slots for battery life.

Re: Old tablet experience

<j29gu6Fs1hjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25528&group=comp.mobile.android#25528

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:53:42 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 19:53 UTC

On 19/12/2021 20.31, Andy Burns wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> apparently every app in background starts at the same time checking
>> for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new videos, gmail for new
>> mails, etc)
>
> Yes, recent android "aligns" all of their wake-up and network accesses
> to the same time slots for battery life.

No, what I'm observing is "aligning" to the moment I tap the screen
after a week or two, making the tablet unresponsive for minutes. I often
have to reboot it.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Old tablet experience

<XnsAE059C97B3B26lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25532&group=comp.mobile.android#25532

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:23:35 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:23 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in

> I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up
> but not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at
> the same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for
> new videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.

I never even thought of that going on, but it seems a reasonable
explanation. Thanks

Re: Old tablet experience

<bPf*gN+By@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25533&group=comp.mobile.android#25533

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 19 Dec 2021 21:41:45 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:41 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 19/12/2021 20.31, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >
> >> apparently every app in background starts at the same time checking
> >> for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new videos, gmail for new
> >> mails, etc)
> >
> > Yes, recent android "aligns" all of their wake-up and network accesses
> > to the same time slots for battery life.
>
> No, what I'm observing is "aligning" to the moment I tap the screen
> after a week or two, making the tablet unresponsive for minutes. I often
> have to reboot it.

A long time ago (Android 2.2 days, on the ZTE Blade I used to have) it used
to be that wifi would turn off when the device went to sleep, and only turn
on when interacted with. I think that was a while before your tablet, but
it's possible a variation of the same - wifi sleeps, and so when you
interact with it wifi comes back and suddenly all the apps discover they
have network and do their syncing.

There is the 'background sync' setting, but there might also be a setting
to keep the wifi active when sleeping. I presume you'd need to plug it in,
otherwise the battery would flatten faster.

Theo

Re: Old tablet experience

<c7cvrgpdcm6vmb99e8mknm9ceis4ka3429@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25534&group=comp.mobile.android#25534

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 15:26:40 -0700
 by: KenW - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 22:26 UTC

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:23:35 GMT, MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in
>

>> I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up
>> but not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at
>> the same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for
>> new videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.
>>
>I never even thought of that going on, but it seems a reasonable
>explanation. Thanks

I have Android 11 and even 1 or 2 earlier ??, there was an app setting
to access updates/data only while using the app.

KenW

Re: Old tablet experience

<j29qjqFtsceU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25535&group=comp.mobile.android#25535

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:38:50 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 22:38 UTC

On 19/12/2021 22.41, Theo wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yes, recent android "aligns" all of their wake-up and network accesses
>>> to the same time slots for battery life.
>>
>> No, what I'm observing is "aligning" to the moment I tap the screen
>> after a week or two, making the tablet unresponsive for minutes. I often
>> have to reboot it.
>
> A long time ago (Android 2.2 days, on the ZTE Blade I used to have) it used
> to be that wifi would turn off when the device went to sleep, and only turn
> on when interacted with. I think that was a while before your tablet, but
> it's possible a variation of the same - wifi sleeps, and so when you
> interact with it wifi comes back and suddenly all the apps discover they
> have network and do their syncing.
>
> There is the 'background sync' setting, but there might also be a setting
> to keep the wifi active when sleeping. I presume you'd need to plug it in,
> otherwise the battery would flatten faster.

Possibly. The WiFi is not on full time to conserve battery, but
sometimes the tablet is connected to power for a day or two.

It is an Asus ZenPad 10, on Android 6.0.1

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Old tablet experience

<spohb4$qrb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25537&group=comp.mobile.android#25537

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 00:04:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:C12Fc7/i+KR8z0wOhZDIKnHswTg=
 by: Chris - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 00:04 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 19/12/2021 17.33, MajorLanGod wrote:
>> I stlll have and sometimes use my Google Nexus 7 2013. After not using it
>> for a while I went to start it yesterday. Granted, I know it is not going
>> to be as zippy as current hardware, but it seemed to be exceedingly slow.
>> but the more I used it the zippier it seemed to get, until it was
>> responding as I remembered it.
>> Is it a function of background processes still starting even though the
>> desktop is available, or is it like my body in the morning - moving slow
>> until I've been up for a while?
>>

> I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up but
> not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at the
> same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new
> videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.

This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.

All OSes do this. I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
a few minutes after the previous one.

Re: Old tablet experience

<sponsa$e7u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25538&group=comp.mobile.android#25538

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:56:25 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 01:56 UTC

On 12/19/2021 04:04 PM, Chris wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 19/12/2021 17.33, MajorLanGod wrote:
>>> I stlll have and sometimes use my Google Nexus 7 2013. After not using it
>>> for a while I went to start it yesterday. Granted, I know it is not going
>>> to be as zippy as current hardware, but it seemed to be exceedingly slow.
>>> but the more I used it the zippier it seemed to get, until it was
>>> responding as I remembered it.
>>> Is it a function of background processes still starting even though the
>>> desktop is available, or is it like my body in the morning - moving slow
>>> until I've been up for a while?
>>
>> I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up but
>> not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at the
>> same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new
>> videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.
>
> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.
>
> All OSes do this. I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
> a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
> a few minutes after the previous one.

Why not update manually? Do them all at YOUR convenience...

--
Cheers, Bev
I'd rather trust the guys in the lab coats who aren't demanding

Re: Old tablet experience

<j2aaenF24pcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25539&group=comp.mobile.android#25539

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 04:09:10 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 03:09 UTC

On 20/12/2021 01.04, Chris wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 19/12/2021 17.33, MajorLanGod wrote:
>>> I stlll have and sometimes use my Google Nexus 7 2013. After not using it
>>> for a while I went to start it yesterday. Granted, I know it is not going
>>> to be as zippy as current hardware, but it seemed to be exceedingly slow.
>>> but the more I used it the zippier it seemed to get, until it was
>>> responding as I remembered it.
>>> Is it a function of background processes still starting even though the
>>> desktop is available, or is it like my body in the morning - moving slow
>>> until I've been up for a while?
>>>

>> I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up but
>> not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at the
>> same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new
>> videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.
>
> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.
>
> All OSes do this.

No, my Linux machines don't.

> I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
> a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
> a few minutes after the previous one.

I only do manual updates on Linux, I have the control.
There are no random applications doing downloads on their own; email is
only downloaded after I manually start email applications, etc.
Specially on my laptops I can be sure the only thing it does is verify
that network is up and synchronize time. No other talk. I can use them
instantly after booting.

Of course, if I hibernate the machine instead, on restore applications
such as mail apps will start checking, and web browsers with open pages
will do refreshes.

Thus I can use my latop when not at home with a tethered connection and
battery only, being sure it will not eat my connection or my battery.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Old tablet experience

<spp4i1$i2e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25540&group=comp.mobile.android#25540

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 06:32:49 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 05:32 UTC

Am 20.12.21 um 04:09 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 20/12/2021 01.04, Chris wrote:
>> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
>> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.
>>
>> All OSes do this.
>
> No, my Linux machines don't.

Mine neither and my Mac is up and running from second 1.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Old tablet experience

<sppc44$t8g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25541&group=comp.mobile.android#25541

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:41:56 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 07:41 UTC

Am 20.12.21 um 01:04 schrieb Chris:
> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.

Nope. My Mac and my Linux-machines are updated manually. They deliver
full performance from the first second after starting.

> All OSes do this. I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
> a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
> a few minutes after the previous one.

Only Windows does that. Macs can be configured to your needs and that is
also true for my Linux-machines.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Old tablet experience

<sppc9c$1st$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25542&group=comp.mobile.android#25542

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 07:44:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+PPmbYm0GyCwvrNNShm0V76hxAY=
 by: Chris - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 07:44 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/2021 04:04 PM, Chris wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up but
>>> not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at the
>>> same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new
>>> videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.
>>
>> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
>> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.
>>
>> All OSes do this. I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
>> a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
>> a few minutes after the previous one.
>
> Why not update manually? Do them all at YOUR convenience...

Many applications don't give you the option and Windows 10 in its wisdom
has no option either.

Re: Old tablet experience

<sppe1e$3ne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25543&group=comp.mobile.android#25543

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:14:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KXbAqu1Ae0lFVR3kapyRAt9xQPQ=
 by: Chris - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:14 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 20/12/2021 01.04, Chris wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>>>

>>> I see that behaviour in my current tablet. Even if it was powered up but
>>> not used for a week: apparently every app in background starts at the
>>> same time checking for data (say, news apps, youtube checks for new
>>> videos, gmail for new mails, etc), plus the checks for updates.
>>
>> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
>> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.
>>
>> All OSes do this.
>
> No, my Linux machines don't.

I should have said, "by default". Whenever I run an ubuntu VM I often need
to run apt to install something, but I can't as software updater is
running. locking access to it. Takes forever too.

I should get into the habit of turning it off.

>> I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
>> a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
>> a few minutes after the previous one.
>
> I only do manual updates on Linux, I have the control.
> There are no random applications doing downloads on their own; email is
> only downloaded after I manually start email applications, etc.
> Specially on my laptops I can be sure the only thing it does is verify
> that network is up and synchronize time. No other talk. I can use them
> instantly after booting.

Yeah it is great for that.

> Of course, if I hibernate the machine instead, on restore applications
> such as mail apps will start checking, and web browsers with open pages
> will do refreshes.
>
> Thus I can use my latop when not at home with a tethered connection and
> battery only, being sure it will not eat my connection or my battery.

Re: Old tablet experience

<sppe1e$3ne$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25544&group=comp.mobile.android#25544

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:14:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5fOwsbuezIefMFTn+zpkPOZZwXI=

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 20.12.21 um 04:09 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
>> On 20/12/2021 01.04, Chris wrote:
>>> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
>>> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.
>>>
>>> All OSes do this.
>>
>> No, my Linux machines don't.
>
> Mine neither and my Mac is up and running from second 1.

My old macs that aren't used for weeks at a time can be very slow to settle
down.

Re: Old tablet experience

<j2auleF5mihU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25545&group=comp.mobile.android#25545

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:54:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:54 UTC

Theo wrote:

> A long time ago (Android 2.2 days, on the ZTE Blade I used to have) it used
> to be that wifi would turn off when the device went to sleep, and only turn
> on when interacted with.

Also a long time ago, there was a setting to keep wifi alive during sleep, which
I used to enable for IMAP/PUSH emails to K9.

Re: Old tablet experience

<201220210649328517%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25553&group=comp.mobile.android#25553

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 06:49:32 -0500
 by: nospam - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:49 UTC

In article <sppe1e$3ne$2@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My old macs that aren't used for weeks at a time can be very slow to settle
> down.

then you're doing something very wrong.

Re: Old tablet experience

<sppujs.4e4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25555&group=comp.mobile.android#25555

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 20 Dec 2021 11:57:54 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:57 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 20/12/2021 01.04, Chris wrote:
[...]

> > This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
> > best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.
> >
> > All OSes do this.
>
> No, my Linux machines don't.
>
> > I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
> > a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
> > a few minutes after the previous one.
>
> I only do manual updates on Linux, I have the control.
> There are no random applications doing downloads on their own; email is
> only downloaded after I manually start email applications, etc.
> Specially on my laptops I can be sure the only thing it does is verify
> that network is up and synchronize time. No other talk. I can use them
> instantly after booting.
>
> Of course, if I hibernate the machine instead, on restore applications
> such as mail apps will start checking, and web browsers with open pages
> will do refreshes.
>
> Thus I can use my latop when not at home with a tethered connection and
> battery only, being sure it will not eat my connection or my battery.

As Chris later mentioned, Windows does this by default, but also
Windows' updating can be beaten into submission (Yes, also for 10 and
11.)

On my Windows 8.1 machine nothing [1] updates unless I tell it to.
Because on - mostly pre-pandemic :-( - holidays the laptop was/is used
on mobile data, I've taken care that no costly mobile data is wasted on
unneccessary updates.

Back on topic, on my phones, I experienced wake up delays as they got
'older', i.e. more memory (both RAM and storage) used by OS and apps
over time. Throwing memory/storage at the problem helped. (My current
phone has 128GB storage and whatever amount of RAM.)

[1] Because I can't be bothered to hack it, Chrome still downloads and
installs new updates, but because it doesn't restart unless I tell it
to, it hardly causes any delays, not at wake up and not during use.

Re: Old tablet experience

<spqu5h$1iu1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25571&group=comp.mobile.android#25571

From: bashley1...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 13:56:01 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 21:56 UTC

On 12/19/2021 11:44 PM, Chris wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This. My old laptops do the same. Don't use them for few weeks and you're
>>> best off leaving them alone for 20 min after turning them on.
>>>
>>> All OSes do this. I wish you could set a global setting to only do updates
>>> a while after the machine has been started and ideally each update a random
>>> a few minutes after the previous one.
>>
>> Why not update manually? Do them all at YOUR convenience...
>
> Many applications don't give you the option and Windows 10 in its wisdom
> has no option either.

An excellent reason for NOT choosing a Windows tablet. Are they cheap?

--
Cheers, Bev
"We returned the General to El Salvador, or maybe Guatemala,

Re: Old tablet experience

<sps53o$jsk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25605&group=comp.mobile.android#25605

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:00:40 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GzVcBgrl/yAiko22Rd2Nht2BgI0=
 by: Chris - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:00 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <sppe1e$3ne$2@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> My old macs that aren't used for weeks at a time can be very slow to settle
>> down.
>
> then you're doing something very wrong.

Thanks for the useless insight. As per usual...

Re: Old tablet experience

<sps8a0$8ig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25606&group=comp.mobile.android#25606

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:55:12 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:55 UTC

Am 20.12.21 um 09:14 schrieb Chris:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>>> No, my Linux machines don't.
>>
>> Mine neither and my Mac is up and running from second 1.
>
> My old macs that aren't used for weeks at a time can be very slow to settle
> down.

Settle down from what?
A Mac is a unixoide system. There is no slowdown or "settle down" if the
user does not automatically start programs and allows extensive
maintenance. In this respect a Mac is very very close to a Linux-system.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Old tablet experience

<211220210800462106%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25610&group=comp.mobile.android#25610

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:00:46 -0500
 by: nospam - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 13:00 UTC

In article <sps53o$jsk$2@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> My old macs that aren't used for weeks at a time can be very slow to settle
> >> down.
> >
> > then you're doing something very wrong.
>
> Thanks for the useless insight. As per usual...

you didn't provide any details.

macs are not 'very slow to settle down' after being unused for a while
(or at any time, for that matter), which means whatever you're seeing
is due to something you're doing or not doing. it's not normal.